PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen Tauros RMT

Trapincher
17th December 2011, 4:22 PM
;128; ;082; ;260; ;110; ;003; ;229;

Haven't been battling with 3rd gen for quite some time. I just replayed through PokeRed with Tauros on my team and even though I know it's not as powerful as it was back then, I decided to try and make a 3rd gen team with Tauros as lead. This is what I've come up with so far.

;128;
Tauros @ Choice Band
Intimidate
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly
- Return
- Earthquake
- HP Ghost
- Sleep Talk / Iron Tail ?
With max attack and speed, Tauros is my lead pokemon. Earthquake is for leads like Metagross, Jolteon and Raikou, Return for it's high STAB damage and HP Ghost for Gengar (and Dusclops switch-ins). Sleep Talk is there to deal with the likes of Venusaur and Milotic, and it's worked fine so far although I'm still not sure if that's the best choice for him or if I should use another attacking move for more type coverage. Most likely Iron Tail since it can't learn any decent fighting/rock moves.

;082;
Magneton @ Leftovers
Magnet Pull
252 SpAtk, 192 Spe, 64 HP
Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- HP Fire
- Metal Sound ?
Magneton counters Tauros' biggest threat aka Skarmory. Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave are obvious choices. I was undecided on the type of its HP, but decided to go with fire since I have Swampert for dragons and Venusaur for water types. HP Fire works nicely against Scizor and Forretress who Tauros also has problems with. Again, not sure about 4th move slot. I tried Substitute, but it didn't work as well as I expected. Currently using Metal Sound for sp walls like Snorlax and Blissey.

;260;
Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
252 HP, 136 Def, 120 SpAtk
Relaxed
- Curse
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
Swampert deals with Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence, Blissey and any electric type I might run into. That was enough to put him on my team. I'm happy with its moveset as it is.

;110;
Weezing @ Leftovers
Levitate
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Impish
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb
Weezing is my answer to Snorlax, but more importantly Heracross and other fighting types which hurt my Tauros. It's also very effective at stopping baton passing teams.

;003;
Venusaur @ Leftovers
Overgrow
252 HP, 80 SpAtk, 120 SpDef, 56 Spe
Calm
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Razor Leaf
- Synthesis
I chose Venusaur mainly to deal with Swampert, Milotic and Suicune and abuse Sleep Powder. Also useful to stop electric types.

;229;
Houndoom @ Leftovers
Early Bird
252 SpAtk, 188 Spe, 68 HP
Timid
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
Houndoom deals nicely with Gengar, Dusclops, Alakazam and Celebi with Crunch and Pursuit and Fire Blast takes on ice and grass types. It's using Early Bird because I got beat up by a Jynx :)

meteor64
21st December 2011, 10:54 PM
;128; ;082; ;260; ;110; ;003; ;229;

Haven't been battling with 3rd gen for quite some time. I just replayed through PokeRed with Tauros on my team and even though I know it's not as powerful as it was back then, I decided to try and make a 3rd gen team with Tauros as lead. This is what I've come up with so far.

;128;
Tauros @ Choice Band
Intimidate
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly
- Return
- Earthquake
- HP Ghost
- Sleep Talk / Iron Tail ?
With max attack and speed, Tauros is my lead pokemon. Earthquake is for leads like Metagross, Jolteon and Raikou, Return for it's high STAB damage and HP Ghost for Gengar (and Dusclops switch-ins). Sleep Talk is there to deal with the likes of Venusaur and Milotic, and it's worked fine so far although I'm still not sure if that's the best choice for him or if I should use another attacking move for more type coverage. Most likely Iron Tail since it can't learn any decent fighting/rock moves.
I love Tauros. It has the best list of advantgeous matchups of any decent lead. However, I wouldn't recommend Sleep Talk over Iron Tail- it's your best choice vs Aerodactyl and Regice, both very effective leads in their own right. I would consider Body Slam over Return, sometimes its worth the trade in power for the parahax.

;082;
Magneton @ Leftovers
Magnet Pull
252 SpAtk, 192 Spe, 64 HP
Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- HP Fire
- Metal Sound ?
Magneton counters Tauros' biggest threat aka Skarmory. Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave are obvious choices. I was undecided on the type of its HP, but decided to go with fire since I have Swampert for dragons and Venusaur for water types. HP Fire works nicely against Scizor and Forretress who Tauros also has problems with. Again, not sure about 4th move slot. I tried Substitute, but it didn't work as well as I expected. Currently using Metal Sound for sp walls like Snorlax and Blissey.
I'd probably put Sub over Thunder Wave here, it allows you to scout out a switch and abuse Metal Sound easier. Or, alternatively, run Toxic and Sub. Either way, Thunder Wave is fairly mediocre on Maggy.

;260;
Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
252 HP, 136 Def, 120 SpAtk
Relaxed
- Curse
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
Swampert deals with Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence, Blissey and any electric type I might run into. That was enough to put him on my team. I'm happy with its moveset as it is.
Eh, Cursepert. Never been fond of it, but... I guess I'd drop Surf for Rest, seeing as you have no Wish or Heal Bell support.

;110;
Weezing @ Leftovers
Levitate
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Impish
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb
Weezing is my answer to Snorlax, but more importantly Heracross and other fighting types which hurt my Tauros. It's also very effective at stopping baton passing teams.
It doesn't stop Medicham though. I'd say thats more of a team problem, not a problem with Weezing.

;003;
Venusaur @ Leftovers
Overgrow
252 HP, 80 SpAtk, 120 SpDef, 56 Spe
Calm
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Razor Leaf
- Synthesis
I chose Venusaur mainly to deal with Swampert, Milotic and Suicune and abuse Sleep Powder. Also useful to stop electric types.
Unless you value Synthesis heavily, I highly suggest you use Exeggutor instead (if Sleep Powder is so crucial) Also, Razor Leaf blows when you have access to Hidden Power Grass. Personally, I'd have a Celebi here to use Heal Bell, allowing Swampert to come in again and again and again...
;229;
Houndoom @ Leftovers
Early Bird
252 SpAtk, 188 Spe, 68 HP
Timid
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
Houndoom deals nicely with Gengar, Dusclops, Alakazam and Celebi with Crunch and Pursuit and Fire Blast takes on ice and grass types. It's using Early Bird because I got beat up by a Jynx :)
I wouldn't change my pokemon's ability because of one odd scenario where things didn't work out. Flash Fire is a million times better, it actually gives Houndoom the chance to switch in and benefit from it. Bearing in mind most base 100 pokemon don't run a +Speed nature, you can be fairly sure to outspeed them too. Things like Fire Punch Jirachi and Alakazam will cry a lot more at the sight of this, and you'll see them more often than Jynx.

...How does a Houndoom lose to a Jynx anyway? Use something to absorb the sleep and then bring in Houndoom, and repeatedly break the Subs with Crunch... he should only manage one CM in that time, nowhere near enough to even try to make Subs that'll survive.