PDA

View Full Version : The Unova Region 2.0

Eternalserenity
18th December 2011, 2:24 AM
Discuss the various aspects of the Isshu region. The many routes, the version changes, the massive cities and the large deserts.

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/isshu.shtml

I decided to remake the thread, since there's still plenty to talk about in regards to the game and the region.

bushie
18th December 2011, 5:14 PM
yeah unova is great and its winter which is my favorite season i do wish that every city/town would snow rather than just certain places i know its a small detail but i love snow

DragonXmicro
18th December 2011, 9:41 PM
yes. i like driftveil in winter.. so cozy.

and rote 1 in spring

Eternalserenity
18th December 2011, 10:32 PM
yeah unova is great and its winter which is my favorite season i do wish that every city/town would snow rather than just certain places i know its a small detail but i love snow

It always bugged me how it was western Unova that got hit with all the snow. Since the Pokémon League and Victory Road are the northernmost areas, then logically they should be hit the hardest.

Larry
18th December 2011, 11:50 PM
It always bugged me how it was western Unova that got hit with all the snow. Since the Pokémon League and Victory Road are the northernmost areas, then logically they should be hit the hardest.

If it's based on NYC then all of it should have snow.

Squiddly Dee
18th December 2011, 11:52 PM

Now that you mention it, having snow on Victory Road would be really cool! You would have to navigate it much differently.

bushie
20th December 2011, 1:11 AM
Now that you mention it, having snow on Victory Road would be really cool! You would have to navigate it much differently.

yeah it would add a whole different aspect to the game not too mentioned a little more replay ability

sAv1Or)
20th December 2011, 1:17 AM

It would be cool if were a Twist mountain/Mt.Silver mix with Blue on top of it

Grei
21st December 2011, 11:27 PM
My favorite season is Autumn, even though this game portrays it a little too much like death for my liking.

Also, after months of Black and White, I think my favorite city in Unova is Anville. All in all, I was more disappointed with the cities in Unova after Sinnoh's cities (and how pretty much every city was still relevant beyond your first encounter with it), but Anville had a neat little charm to it, probably because it was totally optional and sort of hidden away from the world. Plus, its music was very nice.

After that, it'd be Castelia, because that city rules.

Cerex
22nd December 2011, 12:10 AM
I'm not actually a fan of the Unova region. It's too straight forward, and because of the lack of a VS Seeker there really isn't any reason to venture out again. For all of the new designs there simply isn't much to do. While you in the main story though, the places are really nice.

ThisIsPatrick
22nd December 2011, 2:09 AM

Winter is my fav season too mainly because i like snow, ice types and my fav city is covered in snow.....Driftveil.

bushie
22nd December 2011, 4:23 AM
mines is iccrius especially when there's a blizzard.to the other blogger you can always battle in nimbasa and besides all regions have the same similarties small town big cities and historical towns and after a while (the game out in march) it is like you said but i do have to agree i expected more from unova battle frontier etc... maybe the 3rd version will add more detail

Grei
22nd December 2011, 4:38 AM
Can I complain for a moment about Black City and White Forest?

I think they're really cool and awesome ideas. They're fun to have... if you play the game fast enough. :/

All these years of playing Pokemon, I've felt slightly guilty for not thinking of my playthroughs as more like journeys, for speeding through without stopping to smell the roses. I always finish my journeys feeling like it ended too quickly, and that nobody would physically be able to travel an entire region, battle hundreds of trainers, save the world, and become champion in a matter of three days. It felt weird moving that quickly.

Then comes along Black and White, which in fact punish you for stopping to smell the roses by stripping down your Black City/White Forest. I will never be happy with the game's mechanic of forcing you to complete the game as quickly as you possibly can in order to have a Black City or White Forest with more than two random people. Plus, it's irritating that it forces you to keep up with your version-specific location every day in order to keep it populated.

If Black and White were to ever be redone, I would suggest that the people added to Black City/White Forest be added by you--have them be random trainers/people you meet in Unova over the course of your travels. Make it a cross between what it is now and something of Sinnoh's Battle Cafe, only you invite people to join.

Then I wouldn't feel like I'm sacrificing one aesthetic for another.

zozo
22nd December 2011, 5:40 AM
If I had to choose a city in Unova to live in, it'd definitely be Nacrene city. That looks like it would be an amazing place to live! So calm and laid back, and surrounded by nature while not being too far from other larger cities. Other than that, I think my favourite place is Village Bridge, though I'm not quite sure it counts as a town. I love the music there!
I agree, it would be nice if there was more incentive to get around and really explore once you finish the story. I just seem to fly between Lacunosa, Striaton, and Nimbasa depending on whether I'm leveling, breeding, or battling. There's really not much reason to go anywhere else.

And I completely agree about the Black City/White Forest areas. I was really looking forward to White forest, but when I got there it was basically empty and useless because I took my time with the main game. Cool idea, but it shouldn't be quite so dependent on interacting with an opposite game cartridge. I really felt shortchanged by that.

varanus_komodoensis
22nd December 2011, 6:08 AM
All these years of playing Pokemon, I've felt slightly guilty for not thinking of my playthroughs as more like journeys, for speeding through without stopping to smell the roses. I always finish my journeys feeling like it ended too quickly, and that nobody would physically be able to travel an entire region, battle hundreds of trainers, save the world, and become champion in a matter of three days. It felt weird moving that quickly.

I just want to say that I completely agree with everything you said (not just the part I chose to quote). Ever since I got Pokemon Red as a wee child in 1996, I treated the main story as a journey that I savored for every second. These games were something that I was always careful to explore and enjoy for everything they had to offer, even if it took me 100 hours to complete the main story (which it often does, even to this day). The fact that Black and White encourage you to speed through the story makes me feel like Game Freak doesn't want us to respect the magic and fantasy of an ethereal world that they have created for us. If I'm going to play an adventure video game, then I am going to take in its beauty and wonder, and the art and creativity of the designers. I want to appreciate the fantasy of another world.

Silvershark
22nd December 2011, 6:28 AM
Can I complain for a moment about Black City and White Forest?

I think they're really cool and awesome ideas. They're fun to have... if you play the game fast enough. :/

Then comes along Black and White, which in fact punish you for stopping to smell the roses by stripping down your Black City/White Forest. I will never be happy with the game's mechanic of forcing you to complete the game as quickly as you possibly can in order to have a Black City or White Forest with more than two random people. Plus, it's irritating that it forces you to keep up with your version-specific location every day in order to keep it populated.

If Black and White were to ever be redone, I would suggest that the people added to Black City/White Forest be added by you--have them be random trainers/people you meet in Unova over the course of your travels. Make it a cross between what it is now and something of Sinnoh's Battle Cafe, only you invite people to join.

Then I wouldn't feel like I'm sacrificing one aesthetic for another.

I think you might be exaggerating a bit. I forced myself to drag out the story for a little more than a week by doing one badge a day, took nearly another week as a break before heading to White Forest, and it was pretty well populated when I got there. Though I do agree that it's annoying that you're forced to play from time to time just to keep a town populated.

MetalFlygon08
22nd December 2011, 6:31 AM
Lacunosa Town is personally my favorite place, crime is even not a problem there, since everyone closes up for the night due to the ancient legends of the Mist, and people dissapearing in it.

Grei
22nd December 2011, 6:52 AM
I just want to say that I completely agree with everything you said (not just the part I chose to quote). Ever since I got Pokemon Red as a wee child in 1996, I treated the main story as a journey that I savored for every second. These games were something that I was always careful to explore and enjoy for everything they had to offer, even if it took me 100 hours to complete the main story (which it often does, even to this day). The fact that Black and White encourage you to speed through the story makes me feel like Game Freak doesn't want us to respect the magic and fantasy of an ethereal world that they have created for us. If I'm going to play an adventure video game, then I am going to take in its beauty and wonder, and the art and creativity of the designers. I want to appreciate the fantasy of another world.

Exactly. It's irritating that we're given a time restraint.

I think you might be exaggerating a bit. I forced myself to drag out the story for a little more than a week by doing one badge a day, took nearly another week as a break before heading to White Forest, and it was pretty well populated when I got there. Though I do agree that it's annoying that you're forced to play from time to time just to keep a town populated.

Well, I'm not sure if time is the only factor in determining your Black City/White Forest population, but it's the mere inclusion of a time restriction for your journey that makes it irritating. Every moment you spend exploring the aesthetics of an area or talking with random townies could be the moment that determines having another person in that town/forest. I, being a perfectionist, would rather have a full town/forest, but don't want to feel like a clock is running out as I journey to that town/forest.

~Sam~
22nd December 2011, 7:36 AM
what do you guys think of the cave on route 9? i think it might be where an event where be held

BCVM22
22nd December 2011, 7:42 AM
We've been privy to every tiny detail of the game's code since it was released. There's no data for an event in Challenger's Cave.

There's Keldeo's event in the Moor of Icirrus, Meloetta's event in Castelia City and Genesect's event on Route 18. That's it, though that's not to say they couldn't use the Cave for something more significant in any potential future reuses of the Unova template.

Eternalserenity
22nd December 2011, 9:15 AM
I've been bothered by Challenger's Cave for some time now. There's a few trainers, a few new wild Pokémon, and a small handful of items. There's no challenge to the place whatsoever. No special signifigance to its existence at all. In other words, I don't see the point of it even being there in the first place.

sAv1Or)
22nd December 2011, 4:10 PM
I've been bothered by Challenger's Cave for some time now. There's a few trainers, a few new wild Pokémon, and a small handful of items. There's no challenge to the place whatsoever. No special signifigance to its existence at all. In other words, I don't see the point of it even being there in the first place.

Ya I agree. Although I also feel the same about the musical hall

Grei
22nd December 2011, 9:44 PM

Me too. When I heard about it, it made me think of Cerulean Cave. Having gone through it, I gained a few random items... and a Lickitung. It wasn't even much of a challenge.

With the fact that it's referenced by Cobalion (or something; there's some sort of Legendary story that mentions Challenger's Cave, I thought), I feel like it has a ton of potential in the future, but right now it just seems so... blase.

Eternalserenity
22nd December 2011, 9:48 PM
Ya I agree. Although I also feel the same about the musical hall

The Musical Hall's main purpose is to upgrade your trainer card.

redcharzard
23rd December 2011, 2:25 AM
Challenger's Cave was dissapointing. It could have had a decent legendary/good pokemon in it but they put nothing of any major value in it.

The most annying place in the region wellspring cave. I use it for def ev training with rogonrola but when ever I go there they disappear and when I used it for speed training againest woobat they never showed up.

Other then that I liked the region but it could have been bigger.

DragonXmicro
23rd December 2011, 2:37 AM
i agree with size. the caves will be featured more in Grey, hopefully

Mesarin
23rd December 2011, 7:50 PM
The use of pass powers for trainer card upgrade kinda suprasses me..and to be honest bugs me.

Eternalserenity
23rd December 2011, 8:15 PM
The use of pass powers for trainer card upgrade kinda suprasses me..and to be honest bugs me.

Really? I kinda like the ×2 Exp boosts that come from Pass Powers.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
24th December 2011, 3:03 AM
Yeah, what the hell is the point of challenges cave? I get that there's one trainer that took me like 6 tries to beat, but there's nothing really rewarding to go there for.

Grei
24th December 2011, 6:01 PM
Yeah, what the hell is the point of challenges cave? I get that there's one trainer that took me like 6 tries to beat, but there's nothing really rewarding to go there for.

Here's to hoping that Grey gives it more purpose. Hey, maybe it'll be reworked into the Battle Frontier. (...)

Actually, that would be pretty interesting

So, new topic...
What area do you guys think you could improve upon? Like, was there any area--city, route, landmark--that you expected to have something, and it didn't?

For example, I expected Castelia's "Battle... Corporate Building" to have more than just two floors, and for each floor to go up by about ten levels. When that janitor told me that the battles will get challenging, and with the Hyper Potion being an item on one level, I expected that he meant that this place was more of a "come back when you're ready to challenge the next level" place, and it wasn't.

Endoplasmic Reticulum
24th December 2011, 9:49 PM
Here's to hoping that Grey gives it more purpose. Hey, maybe it'll be reworked into the Battle Frontier. (...)

Actually, that would be pretty interesting
How could a cave be turned into the battle frontier? If anything they'll use Anville Town or the spot where Black City/White Forest is

So, new topic...
What area do you guys think you could improve upon? Like, was there any area--city, route, landmark--that you expected to have something, and it didn't?.
I was kind of disappointed with Black City/White Forest. It was too small and relied too much on the entralink gimmick. It would have been cooler if it was just an ordinary city/forest

Eternalserenity
24th December 2011, 10:00 PM
I was kind of disappointed with Black City/White Forest. It was too small and relied too much on the entralink gimmick. It would have been cooler if it was just an ordinary city/forest

Their biggest mistake was setting up that stinkin' time limit. It was unnecessary and a general frustration to players.

insert90
24th December 2011, 11:20 PM
[/QUOTE]For example, I expected Castelia's "Battle... Corporate Building" to have more than just two floors, and for each floor to go up by about ten levels. When that janitor told me that the battles will get challenging, and with the Hyper Potion being an item on one level, I expected that he meant that this place was more of a "come back when you're ready to challenge the next level" place, and it wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that and some other Castellia stuff dissapointed me. I expected the buildings to be more full and to be able to rematch the trainers in them. Althiugh I have to say the seasons were really cool and I liked them more than I thought I would. It would be cool if they could add sun during the summer.

Grei
25th December 2011, 1:38 AM
[SIZE=3]How could a cave be turned into the battle frontier? If anything they'll use Anville Town or the spot where Black City/White Forest is

Excavation?

Besides, an underground Battle Frontier would be cool. And if I wanted to really run away with my wishful thinking, they'd include an underground tunnel system similar to the Sinnoh Underground that contained Pokemon, mining opportunities, a secret base, and access to the Battle Frontier post-game

Yeah, that and some other Castellia stuff dissapointed me. I expected the buildings to be more full and to be able to rematch the trainers

YES
I was very disappointed by this

in them. Although I have to say the seasons were really cool and I liked them more than I thought I would. It would be cool if they could add sun during the summer.

Definitely. I wondered if weather effects would be a neat inclusion... I think they would be, if it was in specific areas. Not everywhere.
Also, it should randomly rain more often, in more random places. Programming-wise, it can't be that hard to make it randomly rain on some routes.

And more of that cloud-cover effect that Sinnoh's Eterna Forest had. That was really cool.

bushie
2nd January 2012, 8:34 PM
i can't hate on challengers cave too much got me a shiny lucario in there besides i do agree it was useless maybe a legend that begins with a k might be in there next installment

Adrexus
2nd January 2012, 9:43 PM
Nimbasa needs more things to do. That place is a ghost town.

Challenger's Cave could definitely be more challenging.

Something I've always wanted though, was a sunny overworld effect. Having a few places in the summer time have strong sunlight during the day would be a really nice addition.

Grei
2nd January 2012, 10:44 PM
Nimbasa needs more things to do. That place is a ghost town.

Challenger's Cave could definitely be more challenging.

Something I've always wanted though, was a sunny overworld effect. Having a few places in the summer time have strong sunlight during the day would be a really nice addition.

I feel like BW would have been a good time to implement that, what with the addition of seasons. Maybe they'll do it in Grey.

Indigoodra
2nd January 2012, 10:59 PM
For example, I expected Castelia's "Battle... Corporate Building" to have more than just two floors, and for each floor to go up by about ten levels. When that janitor told me that the battles will get challenging, and with the Hyper Potion being an item on one level, I expected that he meant that this place was more of a "come back when you're ready to challenge the next level" place, and it wasn't.

Oh my god, that place was one of the biggest disappointments in the whole game.

*insert random hope for Grey*

Overall, though, I did like the Unova region albeit not as much as Hoenn, and I'm curious, BCVM22, to see what that Keldeo event is all about. The other events seem rather predictable. :|

BCVM22
2nd January 2012, 11:31 PM
and I'm curious, BCVM22, to see what that Keldeo event is all about.

You take your event Keldeo and your captured Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion to the Moor of Icirrus. Keldeo will pop out and a man arrives to tell you the story of Keldeo, the musketeers and the forest fire.

The three will pop out and Keldeo will reunite with the three Pokémon that raised it. The three will teach Keldeo the move Secret Sword, the only way the attack can be learned. They all go back inside and you move on.

What did you find predictable about the other two events?

Eternalserenity
4th January 2012, 10:16 AM
The Meloetta event is definitely not predictable, but it is probably the most memorable of the three.

battle171
4th January 2012, 11:15 PM
Hopefully, the "Gray version" will expand on the other event legendaries. I really don't have too many complaints about region as a whole, although I find it very annoying that I can't access the Entralink in certain areas

Schade
5th January 2012, 2:24 PM
That means that the Challenger Cave is pointless.
Only a few strong trainers there, and some neat items

Greg Soble
6th January 2012, 5:56 PM
The big city is weird to me. I don't really like it at all =/