PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Trainer Journey RPG's

Monster Guy
19th December 2011, 10:00 PM
There are so many threads about this in the Authors Cafe, but writing an RPG about trainers starting their Pokemon journey is a completely different monster from writing a fanfic where you control all the characters and how the plot goes.

In my time RPing on Serebii, I've been in two RPG's like this. Both of them died before we made it to the first gym.

Anyway, the topic of discussion is what do you think about them? How do you handle three or more complete strangers traveling together, if they're even traveling together at all? How are gym battles handled? How are Pokemon captures handled? Etc.

RaZoR LeAf
19th December 2011, 11:01 PM
I have to say, I love trainer RPGs, but they run in such a way that causes my biggest irritation with RPGs to flare up. Groups. I.. well yes lets say it.. I hate it, when within a few posts, you have people flocking to you to group up and travel together. In the games, you're on your own, but in RPGs, people assume you need to be in a group of two, three, sometimes everyone has to go everywhere together/. That's what annoys me in Trainer RPGs, if it weren't for that, I'd join so many more. It's twice as bad when you're a mod, or the GM (or both!).

I've tried to run a trainer RPG, in a fake region, with the members having their own made up pokemon. Lets just say it didn't go very well. I think they key is to pick a region people are familiar with and go from there. Handling Gym battles and catching pokemon, really you should have trust that the people RPing are going to do it fairly; after all Power Playing is against the rules; but you can use randomisers to narrow things down, or ask them what sort of pokemon they'd like to train, and make deals for them that would let them get that pokemon so long as they do something else, etc.

Alfred Jones
20th December 2011, 12:52 AM
I was in a few Trainer RP's, even a 1x1 Trainer RP. The key to make a successful rp like that from my experiance is to not linger in places for two long. Let's say we're in Kanto. To get from Pallet Town to Pewter City should take the RP'ers two weeks, maybe less, depending on rp activity. For gym battles one should limit how many people are taking the gym challenge and limit the number of posts to defeat the gym leader.

I hope this made sense...

treespyro
20th December 2011, 5:36 AM
I wouldn't mind doing one however you need to have groups of like three, so if you can three groups of three at the most and then you go as you can.

The problem generally is that battles go on for too long I feel.

Monster Guy
20th December 2011, 5:40 AM
^Battles with other players do. You have to wait for the other person to get on and post, post your response, and the process repeats for every Pokemon the person owns.

treespyro
20th December 2011, 5:41 AM
Just make it short and sweet. You also need an active GM. Like I said I wouldn't mind making one, if there is interest.