PDA

View Full Version : My First Team - Please, No Pointing and Laughing

Roseheart95
1st January 2012, 9:32 PM
Well, as the title says, this is my first full competitive team... so I'm expecting it to be a little bit terrible. You've been warned...

This is for Generation Four. I use only Pokémon Battle Revolution for competitive battling, so it's not restricted to a single tier. I decided to make this team because I've used Smogon sets in the past... so I thought maybe I should start being more creative. At a glance, my team is:

Breloom
Starmie
Nidoqueen
Houndoom
Jumpluff
Raticate

And now, in more detail:

Breloom
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Attack / 244 Speed / 12 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Stone Edge
- Seed Bomb
- Sky Uppercut
- Spore

A physical sweeper. Seed Bomb and Sky Uppercut are for STAB, and Stone Edge is to deal with any threatening flying-type Pokémon. Spore to put the opponent to sleep, naturally.

As far as EVs go, 252 Attack is to boost the physical attack, and the 244 Speed will help it strike first. HP is so it can stand just that little bit more damage.

Starmie
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Surf and Psychic are for STAB and Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are for coverage.

EVs in Speed and Special Attack are so it can attack more quickly and more powerfully. The HP is for slightly more endurance.

Nidoqueen
Nidoqueen @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Defence / 128 Special Defense
Nature: Impish
- Toxic Spikes
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch

This is to set up Toxic Spikes. Earthquake, ThunderPunch and Aerial Ace are all for coverage.

The EVs are to make Nidoqueen last long enough to shuffle through the opponent's line up. HP is for general bulk. If I could have split the EVs between the other two equally and effectively, I would have, but Nidoqueen has just a little less special defence than physical defence, so it probably needs those extra 4 EVs there rather than in physical defence. Now they'll hopefully be just about equal.

Houndoom
Houndoom @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Modest
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power (Electric)

Houndoom can switch in on a fire-type move to absorb it. Flamethrower for STAB, Dark Pulse likewise. Overheat is if it needs a more powerful move. Hidden Power is to deal with water-types and flying-types, too.

EVs, same as Starmie's - Special Attack to boost its Special Attack power, which is all it needs in terms of offense. Speed is to try and out-speed a lot of things, which I think it can do. HP is so it can stand just that little bit longer.

Bronzong
Bronzong @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 HP / 154 Attack / 96 Special Defence / 8 Defence
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Bronzong can set up Stealth Rock, Reflect, and Light Screen. After which, if it'll do at least neutral damage, it can use Gyro Ball which has STAB. Otherwise I'll probably just switch out.

EVs: HP is for maximum survival. Attack is obviously so Gyro Ball can have some power behind it, and Special and Physical Defence are so it can last even longer.

Raticate
Raticate @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Sucker Punch
- Facade
- U-Turn
- Dig

Flame Orb will activate Guts, after which it's basically use whichever attack will work best. Sucker Punch is for ghost-types, and Facade is for STAB and double power thanks to Flame Orb. U-Turn is for Psychic-types or if I just want a free-switch, and Dig is for more coverage. I know it's no Earthquake, but 80 power is still pretty decent, especially with Guts.

EVs... Attack is for its offensive power, and Speed is so it can outrun as many other Pokémon as possible. HP is for a little more bulk.

Anyway... please tell me what you think. Please note that the only competitive battling I do online is via Pokémon Battle Revolution, so only three Pokémon can be used in a battle.

Thank you! :)

Tyson9182
1st January 2012, 10:54 PM
Houndoom
Houndoom @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Modest
- Flamethrower
- Rest
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power (Electric)

Choice Specs Houndoom. Can switch in after Starmie and take out whatever is there (I hope). Flamethrower for STAB, Dark Pulse likewise. Originally Shadow Ball was in the last slot, but then I realised Dark Pulse would achieve the same, so I'd be grateful if somebody could please suggest a new move for me there. Hidden Power is to deal with water-types and flying-types, too.

Rest is for recovery,and with chesto berry it's 1-time 1-use recovery instead of 3-turn recovery

Roseheart95
2nd January 2012, 9:03 PM
Rest is for recovery,and with chesto berry it's 1-time 1-use recovery instead of 3-turn recovery

Oh, thank you! I was thinking of a special offensive attack to go with Choice Specs - so this is something I hadn't considered, although I've seen it being used on Forretress before. So I'll edit that in, if you don't mind. Thanks again! :)

123fakestreet
2nd January 2012, 10:54 PM
Firstly, congrats on being creative because that's just awesome but there is one thing. The best pokemon for the job in question factoring in it's synergy, is usually the one you pick. Breloom need lil work, I suggest this set.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Evs: 252Attk / 244 Spe / 12 HP
Moves:
-Spore
-Seed Bomb
-Substitute / Stone edge
-Focus Punch / Sky Uppercut

This set just gets more of well, Everything. Toxic orb + Poison heal gives you doubles leftovers recovery 12.5% a turn which is brilliant. Spore is a 100% accurate sleep move and really the only reason people use loom at all. With spore, sub is easy to set then you can follow it up with a very powerful focus punch. STAB seed bomb is good for psychics / Ghosts spoiling ur fun. And the OHKO on pert always good. 12 hp gives you a magic number letting you get enough hp back from 2 turns of poison heal to make another sub.

Also a few nit picks. Raticate should have, if u use it, return instead of hyper fang.
Instead of toxic on nidoqueen. Toxic spikes would be a bettter option.
Starmie should have atleast 1 attacking move. Maybe a set like

Starmie @ Light clay
Evs: 252HP / 252Spe / 4SpA
Moves:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Surf
-Recover

Or you could use a more reliable dual screener like bronzong.

Houndoom should be flash fire and have maybe a life orb or choice specs. Houndoom is too frail to be able to effectively use rest. Maybe run overheat there instead for the really big attack when needed.

Jumpluf needs some big changes. It is not a sweeper, it's only real use is sub seed but as you already have a sub sleep poke on ur team. I suggest something to lay down stealth rocks instead.

Roseheart95
3rd January 2012, 5:57 PM
Thank you - I've made the changes you suggested, except for Jumpluff; I can change that later, when I have more time. :)

The reason I gave Houndoom Early Bird is because I didn't think anybody would try to use a fire move on it. Now I've thought about it, though, I realise I could switch in if the opponent sends out a fire-type against Breloom. Thank you! :)

EDIT: I've changed Jumpluff for Rampardos:

Rampardos @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant (Not sure which one yet)
Evs: 224 HP / 252 Attack / 32 Defence
Moves:
- Stealth Rock
- Avalanche
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

123fakestreet
3rd January 2012, 10:22 PM
I would probably not use rampardos. It's far too squishy and generally totally unusable. I would suggest something like bronzong. With this set

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252HP / 154Attk / 96SpD / 8Def
Moves:
-Gyro Ball / Explosion
-Stealth Rocks
-Light Screen
-Reflect

Then maybe run a more offensive starmie bringing the special attack back to the team.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Evs: 252Spe / 252SpA / 4HP
Moves:
-Hydro Pump / Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Recover / Psychic

Also on raticate use facade instead of return because being statused doubles it's power to 140 from 70.

Aura Sensei™
3rd January 2012, 10:59 PM
Here's another Starmie set:

Starmie Modest Nature
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Recover/Rapid Spin

Only use Rapid Spin if you want to get rid of Spikes etc.

Roseheart95
4th January 2012, 5:15 PM
I think I'll switch Rampardos for Bronzong, then, and use one or a mixture of the Starmie sets. Then I'll also switch Houndoom's Life Orb for Choice Specs.

123fakestreet
4th January 2012, 10:19 PM
Starmie needs to be timid. It gets outrun by so much base 110 stuff like gengar otherwise. If u want the power back then use hydro pump > Surf

Aura Sensei™
4th January 2012, 11:36 PM
Well,you don't need to outrun everything anyways.

123fakestreet
6th January 2012, 12:33 AM
Well,you don't need to outrun everything anyways.

He does because otherwise nothing on his team will outrun them.

Roseheart95
7th January 2012, 8:03 PM
She does because otherwise nothing on her team will outrun them.

Fixed. ;)

Anyway, thank you - Timid it is.

Aura Sensei™
7th January 2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah,I guess you're right.

123fakestreet
7th January 2012, 11:01 PM
Good good, and I apologise for the mistaken identity. Dont see many girls in the competitive battle section nowadays which is sad ): Apart from blue ofc xD

I don't like that raticate. It just seems so outclassed by so much else. I would consider replacing but I've no idea what with

Roseheart95
8th January 2012, 10:44 AM
I understand that it's outclassed, but I'd still like to use it for now at least.

123fakestreet
8th January 2012, 10:53 AM
I understand that it's outclassed, but I'd still like to use it for now at least.

Yeah it's fun to use. I think raticate was the first fully evolved pokemon I ever used back in RBY

Usatoday
8th January 2012, 1:59 PM
If you do use rampardos may I suggest a scarf head smasher and black sludge on nido queen

DragonA7X
8th January 2012, 2:19 PM
Its a very decent team. I like it

ilex222
8th January 2012, 3:36 PM
change aerial ace on nidoqueen to stone edge/crunch/aqua tail
even super effectife Aerial ace is weaker than neutral Eq

Ninja Dewott
8th January 2012, 3:42 PM
*points and laughs*

Well, first of all, if it's not limited to a single tier i.e. is Ubers, why on earth are you using pokemon such as Jumpluff and Raticate when you'll be up against Kyogre and pals??

Your F/W/G core of Breloom, Starmie and Houdoom isn't all that bad (although Heatran does tend to outclass Houndoom) but it seems pointless if you could be using Ubers. True, it's harder to get a decent legendary pokemon, but you can always SR. Besides, a Hardy Rayquaza with an EV spread of 20s is still a lot better than a flawless Jolly Raticate -.-

Apologies if this rate has been a little, harsh. It certainly wasn't intended that way :)

Roseheart95
8th January 2012, 5:26 PM
If you do use rampardos may I suggest a scarf head smasher and black sludge on nido queen

I've decided to go with Bronzong instead, but thank you for the input. :)

Its a very decent team. I like it

Thank you! :)

change aerial ace on nidoqueen to stone edge/crunch/aqua tail
even super effectife Aerial ace is weaker than neutral Eq

Crunch sounds like a good idea. I wasn't 100% about Aerial Ace myself, to be honest. Thank you! :)

*points and laughs*

Well, first of all, if it's not limited to a single tier i.e. is Ubers, why on earth are you using pokemon such as Jumpluff and Raticate when you'll be up against Kyogre and pals??

Your F/W/G core of Breloom, Starmie and Houdoom isn't all that bad (although Heatran does tend to outclass Houndoom) but it seems pointless if you could be using Ubers. True, it's harder to get a decent legendary pokemon, but you can always SR. Besides, a Hardy Rayquaza with an EV spread of 20s is still a lot better than a flawless Jolly Raticate -.-

Apologies if this rate has been a little, harsh. It certainly wasn't intended that way :)

It's okay - but, to be honest, I'd rather use these Pokémon. It's not limited to a single tier - so I have freedom to choose Pokémon from many different tiers. Your opinion is different from mine, but I still respect yours. Anyway, thank you for your post. :)

trolling god 51
12th June 2012, 5:35 AM
never been a fan of raticate. something about it completely bothers me.