PDA

View Full Version : A nice, standard 3rd Gen team

meteor64
9th January 2012, 5:51 AM
I thought I'd take the time to give people totally unfamiliar with ADV a nice, uncomplicated and effective team they can shamelessly copy and paste into PO's teambuilder. Aren't I nice. Of course, this requires people to want to play 3rd Gen, but...

Jolteon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Roar
- Baton Pass

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Spikes
- Rest

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 232 Atk / 48 SDef / 228 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Surf

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 40 SDef / 140 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Psychic

The lowdown

Here's where I justify my choices and explain the team and whatnot.

Jolteon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Roar
- Baton Pass

The team just doesn't work without this guy. The centrepiece of the team. There's an unreal amount of synergy between him and most of this team. Volt Absorb is tasty when you have Starmie and Skarm. Thunderbolt is an obvious move, Sub and Baton Pass can irritate the crap out of your opponent, as Jolteon just dances around any offensive gesture they make (remember, Choice Scarf doesn't exist, Jolteon will outspeed everything bar Ninjask and Electrode (lol), who don't have much on Jolteon anyway). Roar is the odd move here, and its really to deal with Raikou and Suicune, who I dont trust Dugtrio/Skarm to deal with all the time. It also can rack up some insane Spikes damage, since Jolteon forces switches like nothing else. Of course, Hidden Power Grass is perfectly viable here, especially since this team doesn't really do well on Swampert.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Spikes
- Rest

Standard Skarm. Spikes up, then screws around with the opponent. Please be careful about Magneton, if theres a possibility they have it, Whirlwind or switch out before you Spike.

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 232 Atk / 48 SDef / 228 Spd
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace

The most useful pokemon in the game just got more useful. Thanks to the ever awesome presence of Jolteon, Dug can get in freely by just letting a Sub take it for him. Blissey, Metagross, Tyranitar, Heracross, and Celebi are all very common, and will all flat out die to it, with odd exceptions like Baton Pass Celebi (which you can always finish off later) or the rare Counter Bliss.
Honestly, Dug can screw up your opponent so badly its more than funny. Example Scenario- The opponent switches in Blissey to wall Jolteon, but Jolt Subs. You Baton Pass to Dug and take the Seismic Toss, then next turn Earthquake and laugh as Ice Beam fails to KO. Proceed to finish her off. Afterwards sweep with Starmie/Jolteon.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Surf

The EVs are more offensive than standard, mainly because I noticed the additional damage output was significant enough to be gamechanging- getting a few extra % on a Dusclops switch in, for example, can really make a difference. Hits Gengar like a truck, and can then switch out to Jolteon for the impending Thunderbolt. If the opponent loses their Blissey, Starmie can pretty much end the game on its own.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

A true wrecking force. This can and will clean teams without their bulky Water. If it gets a Jolteon Sub, a free Agility can win the game. If that doesn't give you the win, don't worry- Meteor Mash can solve that. One Attack boost almost certainly ensures victory. Rock Slide because otherwise Zapdos walls it, and this is the only real way I have to simply remove it from the game.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 40 SDef / 36 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Psychic

The other cornerstone of the team, though not quite as vital as Jolteon. Can switch in on a lot of things (almost anything), Leech Seed, and see what happens next. Essentially a pivot. Heal Bell is essential to Jolteon and Metagross, especially with the luck that I have playing with them (Metagross gets frozen regularly, the game hates me). Leech Seed benefits Jolteon immensely if you can get him in, he'll get free Subs practically all the time.

The main problem with the team is that it has a tough time with Swampert. Leech Seed can annoy it, but thats all, and Starmie's STAB Surf can hurt it, but STAB EQ does more. Skarm can Spike up, but its not as easy as going one-two-three bobsyouruncle, and trapping with Dugtrio is risky to say the least. Suicune is also dangerous, though thankfully theres STAB Thunderbolt and Roar to deal with that.

Rate, copy, and enjoy.

Crystal_
11th January 2012, 12:05 AM
The main problem is not really Swampert, but breaking stalls in general. You'll see.

Rapid Spin takes away your only legitimate form of offense. Starmie can easily spin into at least Skarm/Celebi/Starmie; Forr spins into Skarm/Celebi/Metagross.

Celebi has no offense
Skarm has no offense
Metagross can't get past Skarmory/Swampert/Suicune/Milotic
Starmie has no way vs Blissey/Snorlax/Regice and vs other waters it's just about the freeze. Articuno.
Jolteon runs into Bliss/Lax/Regice problems too as well as every ground type. And passing Subs won't really matter if every poke is being hard walled.
Dugtrio by itself has no offense, as you know what he does offensively is opening up other things. It can't obviously open up Metagross as he isn't trapping skarm/waters. Waters wall Starmie as well, and Dugtrio will have a very hard time trapping Snorlax/Regice. Jolteon aforementioned Ground types (and Celebi, but Dugtrio can potentially take it out).

meteor64
11th January 2012, 11:13 AM
The main problem is not really Swampert, but breaking stalls in general. You'll see.

Rapid Spin takes away your only legitimate form of offense. Starmie can easily spin into at least Skarm/Celebi/Starmie; Forr spins into Skarm/Celebi/Metagross.

Celebi has no offense
Skarm has no offense
Metagross can't get past Skarmory/Swampert/Suicune/Milotic
Starmie has no way vs Blissey/Snorlax/Regice and vs other waters it's just about the freeze. Articuno.
Jolteon runs into Bliss/Lax/Regice problems too as well as every ground type. And passing Subs won't really matter if every poke is being hard walled.
Dugtrio by itself has no offense, as you know what he does offensively is opening up other things. It can't obviously open up Metagross as he isn't trapping skarm/waters. Waters wall Starmie as well, and Dugtrio will have a very hard time trapping Snorlax/Regice. Jolteon aforementioned Ground types (and Celebi, but Dugtrio can potentially take it out).
While I know better than to disregard your verdict, of all people, I can quite honestly say I have absolutely no problems with Bliss/Lax/Regice. Bliss almost certainly goes down to Dugtrio, especially if the opponent thinks what you're saying (that Jolteon has a hard time with Bliss), Lax is hard walled by Skarm and tanked by Celebi (and last-man lax can be sorted with Leech Seed and then either Jolteon, Skarmory, or maybe Metagross), while Regice has no business with Metagross (though it does get harder to deal with once it starts Thunderbolting). Breaking any stalemate that forms from this is a matter of prediction, which, as a player, you must be capable of doing. I've used this team a lot, and I've never come across the situation where I'm hard walled until lategame.

You're right, Dugtrio is no offense on its own, and its purpose is to open up for something else, and that's exactly what it does here. And Dug, in itself, has its opportunities opened up by Jolteon.

As for Metagross, yes it sucks vs bulky Waters, but its not like I can't mess with them through Jolteon and Celebi, and its not like Agiligross is bad at what it does.

Rapid Spinners can eat a Jolteon switch in. Except for Claydol. He can eat a Starmie. But on the whole, when I bring out Skarm for the first time, I can just switch straight back to Jolteon because that really is the best option 9 times out of 10. Sure, switch in your Starmie/Forretress/Magneton/Cloyster, it gives me a free chance to sub and pass/ attack.

Crystal_
11th January 2012, 11:45 AM
However, you don't really get the point.
He switches Snorlax into Starmie. You go to Skarm. He goes to Starm/Claydol/Forr/Cloyster.
He switches Regice into Starmie. You go to Metagross. He goes to Skarm/water.
You go back to Starmie, he goes back to Regice/Snorlax/Water/Articuno.
Or you go to Jolteon, then he goes to Regice/Snorlax/Ground.

You are simply not making progress. Hence, what would prediction ever accomplish?

And defensively, your team will get worn down to Aerodactyl/Flygon pretty quickly. Salamence too. Both DDtar and SubHPbug ttar will wear you down unless you can trap with Dugtrio, but you probably won't. If Skarm dies to Magneton/explosion, Gyara outright sweeps you. Tbolt Starmie can easily stall Celebi out and sweep the rest of your team. Jolteon often dies to just two Surfs, three at worst. If Dugtrio can't trap Regice, you won't do a **** to it (And Meta wasn't doing anything either as aforementioned), so it will end up wearing down your Metagross. Dugtrio can potentially take out Metagross/Celebi/Starmie/Dugtrio. If Dugtrio takes out your Celebi (which will happen pretty often), Suicune/Starmie sweeps you. If it's Starmie what goes down, then TTar/Mence/Aerodactyl/Flygon.

And go 252/252/4 in Dugtrio.