PDA

View Full Version : My very first REAL team

Biggar
21st January 2012, 9:39 PM
Ohai!

After a couple of years, I've decided to take up Pokémon again and, even though I enjoyed playing it casually, I thought it'd make a nice change to get a real team. Problem is; I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. After some searching, I decided to go with the following team (I haven't actually started yet, but planning beforehand won't hurt). Feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
Rob ~Biggar

Slaking
Adamant nature
Max out Attack & HP

Hammerarm
Focus Punch
Night Slash
Earthquake

Rampardos
Adamant nature
Max out Attack & HP

Head Smash
Thrash
Double Edge
Zen Headbutt

Rhyperior
Adament Nature
Max out Attack & Sp. Defense

Rock Wrecker
Dragon Rush
Fire Fang
Earthquake

Crobat
Jolly Nature
Max out Speed & HP

Cross Poison
Zen Headbutt
Giga Impact
X-Scissor

Porygon-Z
Modest Nature
Max out Sp. Attack & Speed

Hyper Beam
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Zap Cannon

Garchomp
Jolly Nature
Max out Attack & Speed

Crunch
Dragon Claw
Dig
Dragon Rush

Tdotdems
21st January 2012, 10:15 PM
Please do some explaining as to there roles etc. But anyway, for the slaking put giga impact as it just makes slaking as his ability means the negative effect of giga impact is taken away, and get rid of focus punch because it sucks. I would also recommend slack off instead of night slash for healing. Also I would get rid of rampardos as he is slow and weak so will get KO'd easily. For Porygon Z put on thunderbolt instead of zap cannon and I think you should get rid of hyper beam and put on dark pulse. Get rid of giga impact on crobat and replace it with a flying type move. For the Garchomp if you are going to insist on using an uber, don't have 2 dragon type moves, and put earthquake instead of dig. For the rhyperior I would make him your lead and give him stealth rock instead of fire fang as it just doesn't do enough damage. You have also got a massive weakness to fighting, a machamp could sweep this entire team.

Biggar
21st January 2012, 10:42 PM
Well, like I already mentioned, I'm a noob. Therefore, I hadn't come up with any roles yet. Do you know of a little guide to them? :redface:
As for the weakness vs. fighting: you seem to be right. I'll find a replacement for Rampardos that makes up for that.

Tdotdems
22nd January 2012, 10:39 AM
May I recommend a gengar as it can switch in on fighting type moves and take no damage and give it something like : Shadow Ball Thunderbolt Focus blast Psychic. For the roles, like mentioned, put rhyperior as lead with stealth rocks to get them set up early on and make him act as a physical wall so put ev's into def on sp def. Porygon z is a special sweeper so give him life orb or choice specs to hold so he hits hard and him having adaptability as a ability is a must. Garchomp would be a physical sweeper so similar role to above porygon but physical, would recommend life orb hold item. Crobat can act as a revenge killer due to his high speed, when one of your pokemon has died switch in on his with low health and take it out without taking any damage, because crobat is quite weak I would make him hold focus sash. Slaking is a bulky offensive pokemon so can hit hard but still stay around, although I would put some ev's in speed, his bulkyness is why I recommend slack off. Might I also recommend going on the smogen website and looking up movesets and roles for these pokemon as it is a really useful website.

Scaldaver
22nd January 2012, 10:56 AM
If you go into double matches, make sure somebody knows skill swap (the one that switches abilities) for Slaking

Get bulky water like vaporeon to cover rampardos and Rhyperior's weaknesses.

123fakestreet
22nd January 2012, 11:27 AM
Ok then I took the liberty of typing up and rating a more viable form of your team. Here goes

Crobat: @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 232 HP / 56 Def / 76 SpD / 144 Spe
Moves:
-Taunt
-Brave Bird / U Turn
-Roost
-Super Fang

Standard stallbreaker crobat. EV's and nature provide necessary amounts of speed and enough bulk to survive some common attacks found on stall teams. Taunt and super fang work in tandem to break down strong walls such as blissey and skarmory. Roost lets you survive longer and continue to stall. Brave bird is a strong attack used to finish off weakened opponents or you could use U turn to scout an opponents switch.

Porygon-Z: @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
Nature: Modest
EV's: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Moves:
-Agility
-Ice Beam
-Tri Attack
-Hidden Power [Ground] / [Fire]

This is an amazing and rather under used special sweeper, come in on something with high physical defence but lacking offensive power such as walling swampert and set up an agility. At +2 you will outspeed Choice Scarfed base 100s such as flygon and jirachi. The attacks provide maximum coverage on common OU pokemon. Tri Attack is devastatingly powerful and will 2hko most pokemon that dont resist it, even OHKO some weaker ones. Ice beam takes care of dragon types / flying types and the hidden power of your choice kills steels.

Slaking has been changed to
Gyarados: @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Attk / 184 Spe / 72 HP
Moves:
-Taunt
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge / Bounce / Ice Fang / Earthquake

Typical DD gyarados with a twist, sets up on almost every single wall thanks to taunt meaning they cannot phaze him. Dragon dance is your setup move, after 1 of them you will be hard to kill, after 2 you will be incredibly hard to kill and after 3 you will be UNSTOPPABLE. But you only really need one to start off with. Waterfall is STAB and the last move you pick any of the above for coverage.

Rampardos Replaced With
Scizor: @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EV's 248 HP / 252 Attk / 8 Spe
Moves:
-Bullet Punch
-U Turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit / Quick Attack

Standard choice banded scizor, bullet punch is usually the move of choice with immense power and priority making it a great revenge killing move. Superpower is for hard to kill stuff like blissey or swampert when weakened that you just wanna blow up in 1 shot. U Turn is incredibly powerful and lets you get switch initiative if the opponent switches out. It's a toss up between quick attack and pursuit, would you rather kill a fleeing gengar as it switches or be able to revenge kill more pokemon like weakened DD gyara?

Garchomp has been replaced with
Flygon: @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Attk /252 Spe / 4 SpD
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch / Stone Edge
-Outrage / Dragon Claw
-U Turn

This goes in place of garchomp because garchomp is uber and thus banned. Scarf flygon lets you kill things that have already set up EG dd Kingdra, dd Gyara, dd Dragonite, sd Lucario (Must be above 80% hp when attempting this last one). Earthquake is standard STAB used to revenge killing steel types / fire types such as infernape and none boosting metagross. Thunder Punch / Stone edge is for killing Gyarados, Thunder punch is better here cuz missing stone edge would basically mean you lose. Outrage / Dragon Claw is Another high powered STAB attack for killing DD dragon types. U Turn lets you scout.

Rhyperior: @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Nature: Impish
Ev's: 244 HP / 184 Def / 80 SpD
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rocks
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn / Avalanche

I decided to keep rhyperior in for you, Stealth rock is needed on any team though I advise you don't lead with this and you lead with crobat. Earthquake and Stone edge are STAB and give you the 'edge quake' combo which hits the majority of OU incredibly hard. Megahorn / Avalanche is coverage depending on what you want to hit, incomming dragons / gliscor or incomming grass / psychic types. EV's Provide maximum bulk allowing you to tank all necessary physical hits and some none SE special ones, though watch out for those if I were you.

I hope you like it and I suggest you update the original post to something along the lines of this before the post is locked. ^_^

Biggar
22nd January 2012, 12:22 PM
Wow, thanks for the great feedback, everyone (especially fakestreet). To be honest, I'm not sure if I understand even half of it, but it sure does sound a lot better balanced than my intitial team (which was pretty much only based on the highest base stats I could find on Bulbapedia...)

I'll just read up on some stuff and then there's not much left but training. :)

Kays
24th January 2012, 7:14 AM
123fakestreet (http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=14048349#post14048349) did a really good job.

Stealth Rock on Rhyperior and not leading may not be too useful. Crobat is good, but depending on its opponent, it may not be able to do much. If I saw a Crobat as a lead, my first task is to kill it since that isn't a terribly hard thing to do. Even if it is two turns, if Crobat Taunt first turn, it'll take a whopping hit.

I like to run anti-Leads as leads. Not sure if that's a bad thing. My Froslass does well.

123fakestreet
24th January 2012, 8:45 AM
Thankyou. I never lead with rocks. Ever.

Rocks >> Die >> Get spun. Ur point was? I tried to work with the pokes he chose. Otherwise would of been much better.

Quagsireking
24th January 2012, 11:52 PM
Put leftovers on slaking. That way you can gain some hp back on traunt.