PDA

View Full Version : New Pokemon RPG Ideas

jmdavid12
27th January 2012, 1:10 AM
Well, lately I've been working on a Pokemon RPG. I need some ideas for new Pokemon. I have ideas for the main Legendaries of "The Skyrah Region." As the name suggests, the region will have a sky-ish theme to it, i.e. floating islands, huge cliffsides, tall mountains, etc. I need some ideas for starters, and others Pokemon, and maybe what they look like. Also, any ideas for the Gym Leaders names or town names?

Avenger Angel
27th January 2012, 1:59 AM
Maybe go with new Flying type evolutions for existing Pokemon as well. Kind of like this one:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/Ultradyne/Serachu.png

The setting sounds cool though, I like it.

Azran Flame
27th January 2012, 4:58 AM
Well, if you're gonna start an RPG with a whole new region and new Pokémon, you'll need to concentrate on making the region first before you even start thinking about the RPG itself.

DVB
27th January 2012, 3:00 PM
Yup. I have Pokemon ideas, though I need to get them drawn and colored as well as the region done. I wish I knew more people who could actually make games. >.<

Avenger Angel
27th January 2012, 3:05 PM
Yup. I have Pokemon ideas, though I need to get them drawn and colored as well as the region done. I wish I knew more people who could actually make games. >.<

I do, but there's a good reason why there are dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of names when you get the credits roll at the end of a game. Games take a lot of time and a lot of people.

Anyway, I agree with Flame Mistress, flesh out and maybe create a map for Skyrah. Sure, you don't need to label anything yet, but give the rest of us some idea of where you're going with this. All those blanks can be filled in later, and it's okay to have placeholders.

Slipomatic
27th January 2012, 3:27 PM
I do, but there's a good reason why there are dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of names when you get the credits roll at the end of a game. Games take a lot of time and a lot of people.

Anyway, I agree with Flame Mistress, flesh out and maybe create a map for Skyrah. Sure, you don't need to label anything yet, but give the rest of us some idea of where you're going with this. All those blanks can be filled in later, and it's okay to have placeholders.

Unless you're like Pixel Studios, a one man game developer. He made Cave story all by himself and then released it on the PC as a free game. Nice guy

I think in terms of what to do in order of priority, it should go something along with this.

1. Region map and routes
2. Type of City and surrounding routes
3. What kind of obstacles on routes that require certain things, for example, HM cut to move forwards to reach third city.
4. Gym Leader main type and signature move.
5. Pokemon/Fakemon
6. Description (pokedex description) of fakemons
7. Where these pokemon/fakemon can be found at which routes or town.
8. Gym Leader Roster and Elite Four and Champion roster
9. Team (insert evil name here) and their goal
10. Starting pokemon choice
11. Make RPG sign-up and post links for the information on fakemons, if any, and have fun.

A lot of steps, but it helps to recruit some people to help you in making this. My suggestion, don't try to go into extreme details on fakemons as it will make your task a lot harder than it should be. Recruit some creative minded people and your task will go fairly quickly.

Hope this helps you :D

jmdavid12
28th January 2012, 4:00 AM
Well, looks like I kind of started with the legendary Pokemon first. I have four planned out. They are....

1)Vinazoa (Grass/Flying)
2)Aquazoa (Water/Flying)
3)Flarizoa (Fire/Flying)
4)Zoakrona (Dragon/Flying)

The first three are going to be the main legendaries, and possibly that one that you will mainly see will be based on the type of your starter Pokemon. The other two will be Traveling Pokemon, like Thunderus and Tornadus, whom I might be using. Zoakrona will be a Legend that is kind of like Arceus, in terms of it's role in the game, so basically it stands over the main three. My only worry is that Flarizoa will almost be a rip-off of Moltres or Ho-oh. It's the same with Vinazoa to Skymin.

Also, with the region having a sky theme, the Champion will probably also have a sky theme to him, basically meaning he will use Flying or Dragon type Pokemon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Evil team's name will be Team Storm, and I will not reveal their intentions. Yet

Also, I have no experience whatsoever with pixel art design or anything like that. Does anyone know any good programs for it?

Also, I like Neo Pikachu's idea for adding Flying type evolutions to existing Pokemon. I might do that. Good job to whoever made the Serachu.

I will also probably be making a rough draft of the Skyrah map on paper, posting it on here, then seeing what you guys think.
CORRECTION:I will be doing it on the comp.

jmdavid12
28th January 2012, 5:56 AM
Oh great I was halfway through the map when I realized the size didn't match the Dimension limits for it. Looks like I'm starting over....this is going to be a long night.....

jmdavid12
2nd February 2012, 10:32 PM
Ok, I have the basic layout of the map done...Now I just have to set the towns, cities, dungeons, etc.