PDA

View Full Version : Mostly OU Competitive Team

IceMage88
14th February 2012, 6:08 AM
Hello, I am new to competitive battling and have decided to get into it not too long ago. After spending a lengthy period of time obtaining enough BP to get all of the power items and necessary held items for my team, here I am. Please be aware this is a mostly OU team, and I already know Zoroark is not OU.

Another thing to be aware of is that while it is strongly suggested, I have not yet played this team as I prefer not to use programs like Shoddy Battler and do not want to spend hours building the team in-game only to have more experienced competitive battlers point out simple tips that could have saved me hours. Now, on to my team:

http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/385.png
Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Nature: Jolly (Spe+, SpA-)
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Trick
This Jirachi is now designed as an anti-lead. It has been switched from special to physical to utilise the combination of iron head and serene grace. It now has ice and fire punch to provide good type coverage for my team. It now has trick as suggested. Meant to outspeed enemy lead disrupt opening strategies.

http://pokemon.marriland.com/images/bw/sprites/front/norm/598_ferrothorn_front_norm.png
Ferrothorn@Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Hp, 168 Def, 88 SpD
Nature: Sassy( SpD+, Spe-)
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is my physical Wall. He and Jellicent form the defensive core of my team, giving great type coverage. Power Whip and gyro ball are used to attack, low speed is used to maximize gyro ball power. Leech seed is chosen
for survivability since leftovers were not taken. Stealth rocks are my entry hazard of choice, I will not be able to breed spikes onto my ferrothorn. Rocky Helmet in conjunction with Iron Barbs punishes physical fighters that are swapped into.

http://pokemon.marriland.com/images/bw/sprites/front/norm/593_jellicent_front_norm.png
Jellicent@Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 Hp, 100 Def, 116 SpD, 44 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
-Surf
-Will-o-wisp
-Taunt
-Recover

Jellicent is my special Wall. Surf gives it the ability to fight with a strong STAB attack. Will-o-wisp allows Jellicent to more easily handle physical threats as well as inflict constant damage. Taunt makes Jellicent difficult to set up on. Recover can be used to stall if need be. Ferrothorn combined with Jellicent make it difficult for the enemy to deal with my resistances.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100514151038/pokemon/images/d/d7/Zoroark.png
Zoroark@Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: Atk 4, SpA 252, Spe 252
Nature: Naive( Spe+ SpD-)
-Night Daze
-Flamethrower
-U-Turn
-Sucker Punch

I know someone will tell me to take this off the team, it's not OU quality. However, my team needs a fast strong pokemon to sweep. It's an odd choice, but with the typing of my team it could work well. I carry two ghost types, so if they are throwing fighting type moves all over the place, its fine with me. The moveset is obvious, maybe switch dark pulse for night daze. U-turn is used for escaping danger.

http://pokemon.marriland.com/images/bw/sprites/front/norm/609_chandelure_front_norm.png
Chandelure@Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid(Spe+, Atk-)
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Substitute
-Pain Split

Chandelure is a fairly common sweeper on OU teams. High power STAB moves are used to quickly take down the enemy team. Substitute can be used if the enemy may swap to get a free swap, which can be followed up with a pain split for damage and possibly needed healing. Not much else to say on what seems to be a common sweeper set.

http://pokemon.marriland.com/images/bw/sprites/front/norm/534_conkeldurr_front_norm.png
Conkeldurr@Leftovers
Ability:Guts
EVs: 252 HP, 64 SpA, 192 SpD
Nature: Adamant(Atk+, SpA-)
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Bulk up
-Stone Edge

My last pokemon is now Conkeldurr. He purpose on my team is to shore up against common OU threats my team could not easily handle otherwise without him such as scrafty, terrakion, and heatran. Drain Punch is used mainly as a healing STAB attack. Mach Punch allows Conkeldurr to outspeed threats that are weak to fighting, which is very important to my team. Bulk Up allows Conkeldurr the ability to both do more damage and more easily survive a physical battle combined with drain punch. Lastly, Stone Edge for type coverage.

Things to Suggest:
-Different Movesets
-Different Abilities
-Different 6th slot
-A different nature

Please do not suggest:
-Ubers
-Hidden Powers(do not have time or knowledge)
-Changing Zoroark(I know... sorry)
-Spikes over stealth rock, I do not have the resources left to breed this.

This is my team, remember that im new and any positive constructive advice would be great! Rate Away please. Changes in Bold,please continue to rate, and thank you for all help so far!

SilentOmen
14th February 2012, 6:37 AM
Jirachi:Calm mind + scarf = pointless (add that wish locking isn't entirely fun either). I also don't get how Jirachi fills the role of a lead.
Zoroark: Won't tell you it can't hack the OU metagame, but I will tell you that it helps hurt your team with an additional weakness to fighting types along side Ferrothorn and TTar.
Ferrothorn: Your team is full of some slow attackers. you can consider Thunderwave over Gyro ball for added team support.
Tyranitar (TTar): I've never been set on mixed TTar, but the least I can say is that Pursuit often works better than Crunch, simply because it forces a lot of ghosts and psychic types to run away. If they don't switch, you are probably going to lose TTar to Focus Blast anyway.
Jellicent: I can see the cursed body having effectiveness, but why would you pass up a water immunity and free potential heal for it? Not saying it's wrong, just different mind set.

You have a pretty scary fear of common OU metagame fighting types. Mienshao can come in and boss your Zoroark, TTar and Ferrothorn with Drain Punch or Hi Jump Kick while taking out Chandelure with Stone Edge / Rock Slide. Scrafty (easily your BIGGEST fear) similarly with Drain Punch on the same as Mienshao and covers Jellicent and Chandelure well with Crunch after a Dragon Dance. Scrafty is also immune to Psychic and often has Shed Skin to shake off your Will-o-Wisp burns. Terrakion is another big threat for similar reasons. Heatran will stick it to Ferrothorn, Jirachi and Chandelure (Earth Power hurts, and Chandelure is helpless to really hurt it effectively). Even Conkeldurr are known to use Payback or Stone Edge (Payback hurting both Chandelure and Jellicent, Stone Edge more geared towards Chandelure), though special attacks will keep it a little more quite than some other mentioned fighting types.

If you fight a team with one of the mentioned fighting types and Heatran... your team will unravel fast. Your team is really over reliant on Jirachi handling fighting types and Jellicent catching Heatran. Though you do have the counters to handling them, your team can easily be worked around to eliminate the counters fast so the above threats can run free. I'd honestly consider retiring Zoroark for something a little more up to date like a Conkeldurr or Heatran. Other ideas for the team include Latios, Latias, Rotom-W... the list honestly goes on.

Eliteknight
14th February 2012, 6:51 AM
on rachi use leftovers choice scarf is useless unless u got 3 attcking moves and trick

IceMage88
14th February 2012, 2:03 PM
Thank you both for your suggestions.

@Elite

Which attacking moves would you suggest then for Jirachi?

@Omen

-Could you possibly suggest a moveset for Jirachi? I would prefer an offensively focued one, but a defensively focused one is fine if you think it really needs one.
-I feel that the extra immunity is less needed since if they predict a switch to jellicent they are less likely to use water moves anyway. If I fail at a predicition and cursed body activates without jellicent being OHKOd, I may have a chance to save it.
-Would it be possible to switch TTar for someone else? As I said in my original post, I know it would be resonable to change him. Hes yet another slow part of the team and makes my team realy weak to fighting. Could you suggest one single pokemon you think would fill this role better? I think zoroark has a bit of untapped potential, so I would like to avoid switching him.

SilentOmen
14th February 2012, 4:17 PM
Conkeldurr with the average set would be something to use. Yes, it's also pretty slow, but it has mach punch. I'd say that Scizor or Metagross with bullet punch are nice, but that would further your weakness to fire (i.e. Heatran) and isn't too ideal without further team construction. A dragon type could add you some benefit, but it won't cut your Scrafty fears (Ice Punch). I really like Conkeldurr as it makes Scrafty shrink with Mach Punch and buffed defense (bulk up making it even stronger). Conkeldurr also hits Heatran and Terrakion pretty hard with Mach Punch with the proper set up. A payback set can even make the ghost type switch ins a little less likely to boast about resistances and immunities.

As for Jirachi, I often prefer a more physical attacking bulky Jirachi. Why? Serene Grace Flinch hax. With Zen Headbutt or Iron Head (if you're willing to get one via Gen IV) and Thunderwave, the paraflinch combo is the most annoying. Fire Punch (again, Gen IV) is a nice filler to avoid steel types walling you. At the very least, Thunderwave gives your team support by crippling your opponent's sweeper(s). However, I know Jirachi is a harder to get Legendary and it may not be the easiest to figure out how to work it this way. If you do opt for the same Jirachi set anyway (my way being too annoying to go through again) I would at least try and invest the EVs you put into SDef into HP instead. It makes Jirachi all around more bulky.

Barbeller
14th February 2012, 5:43 PM
On Jirachi, it's better to have Iron Head/Trick + Fillers, so I'd go with that. Maybe Stealth Rock and then use Spikes > SR on Ferro.

And a Scarfrachi is an anti-lead, tricking the opponent so they effectively can only use 5 pokes, if played right.

On the terms of Zoroark. You're gonna find that it doesn't really work as well as you seem to think it is. It's fine that you want it, but Lati@s do better as fast special sweepers.

IceMage88
15th February 2012, 5:27 AM
Thank you once again for all input, my team now has a large number of changes shown in bold. The 6th slot has been changed to cover my team's weaknesses better as well as changes to Jirachi to properly make use of Serene grace through iron head, and to create a more desireable anti-lead which was my intention.

As now stated in both things not to suggest(new) and Ferrothorn's role(old), do not suggest spikes. Sorry for any confusion.

Also, I am yet again aware Zoroark may not be the wisest of choices for a special sweeper but I would at least like to give it a shot and could possibly replace him after battle testing the team with another special sweeper if it goes as badly as many people think. Part of the point of the inclusion of Zoroark is to mix things up abit instead of creating a plain OU team, while I want to do well, I also want to have fun trying things out abit out of the norm. Hopefully that does not dissuade you from making suggestions, as I have liked many of them so far.

If you can please continue to rate, it really helps out newbies like me. Thanks.

SilentOmen
15th February 2012, 5:48 AM
You could consider running Focus Blast over Flamethrower on Zoroark. The chance of catching TTar off guard with it can really be a nice benefit. Add to the fact it can score a strong hit on Heatran, Scrafty and Terrakion. Heck (and this is just a neat theory), have you tried a revenge killer style instead? The fact that Illusion plays around with the opponent, you can score a pretty scary hit with a choice scarf set on an already weakened opponent. A weakened Conkeldurr won't use Mach Punch / Drain Punch if it THINKS Jellicent or Chandelure just came out.... and Scrafty would opt for another move besides Drain Punch too. Just a nice thought.