PDA

View Full Version : Super Singles Team Advice

Vulcan_Apocalypse
12th March 2012, 7:51 PM
Hey guys, this is my first thread so dont bash me too much please.
Anyway, I need some advice on what i should use on my Super Singles Team. Currently, I use the following two pokes as my core team:
Team Member #1
;445; Garchomp @ Choice Band
Sand Veil
Jolly
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
-? Currently Slash but im not sure what move to use in this spot. I know slash sucks, but im looking for something to replace it.

Team Member #2
:635: Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Levitate
Modest
4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is the main attacker, with his great STAB moves. And then Hydreigon provides lots of power too and coverage. However im still not sure who i should partner up with the two for Super singles, ive done some experimenting and my current teamate to them is the following:
;235; Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
Jolly
4 HP 252 Def 252 Spe
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Tail Glow
- Shell Smash
So basically, the idea is to lead with smeargle, put the opponent to sleep, and then pull off a shell smash(or tail glow) and then pass it to either garchomp or hydreigon. Its actually a pretty effective strategy, but I havent been able to win big yet and the strategy is pretty much ruined by sleeptalkers and those immune to sleep.
So my question is, what can i do to improve my super singles team? and also, Who would make a good teamate to Garchomp and Hydreigon?
Thanks in advance :)

Shockking
12th March 2012, 8:27 PM
Hey guys, this is my first thread so dont bash me too much please.
Anyway, I need some advice on what i should use on my Super Singles Team. Currently, I use the following two pokes as my core team:
Team Member #1
;445; Garchomp @ Choice Band
Sand Veil
Jolly
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
-Brick Break/ Crunch

Team Member #2
:635: Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Levitate
Modest
4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor/ Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Fire Blast

;235; Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
Jolly
4 HP 252 Def 252 Spe
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Tail Glow
- Shell Smash

My changes are in bold.
Potentially, you could swap Garchomp and Hydreigon's items and then give Garchomp Swords Dance as well but what you have is also really good.
While the Smeargle gimmick isn't a bad idea, its really just a gimmick and not very reliable. You should just put in another Pokemon in my opinion, maybe one that could cover Ice very well and be bulky, like Ferrothorn, but you can keep Smeargle if you really like the idea. For Ferrothorn you could have something like this Curse set:

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Adamant
252HP | 252SpDef | 4Def
-Curse
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip/ Seed Bomb

Also, you seem like you are smart about Pokemon teams, why not rate my Subway team? :) (link in siggy)

Sohryu
12th March 2012, 9:05 PM
Using Smeargle on BS teams require a lot of skill. With this team you lost easily. Hydreigon and Garchomp are sharing weakness, Hydreigon and Smeargle are sharing weakness. To use a Smeargle in its full potential, you need a lead. Without a lead, Smeargle gonna be waste of space :P
Consider a lead, then i could help you here, dude!

Vulcan_Apocalypse
12th March 2012, 9:05 PM
My changes are in bold.
Potentially, you could swap Garchomp and Hydreigon's items and then give Garchomp Swords Dance as well but what you have is also really good.
Swords dance garchomp does work well too, but often the extra set-up turn has proved fatal to me. So thats why I go with Choice band and 4 attacks.

While the Smeargle gimmick isn't a bad idea, its really just a gimmick and not very reliable. Pretty much my thoughts exactly, when it works I can easily sweep entire teams, but when it fails, it often costs me the battle. Which is the reason why im looking for an upgrade.

You should just put in another Pokemon in my opinion, maybe one that could cover Ice very well and be bulky, like Ferrothorn, but you can keep Smeargle if you really like the idea.
For Ferrothorn you could have something like this Curse set:
Ferrothorn @Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Adamant
252HP | 252SpDef | 4Def
-Curse
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip/ Seed Bomb
Thanks, ill have to give it a try, I really appreciate the advice man.

Also, you seem like you are smart about Pokemon teams, why not rate my Subway team? :) (link in siggy) Thanks lol, but im probably not nearly as knowledgeable as you may think.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
12th March 2012, 9:10 PM
Using Smeargle on BS teams require a lot of skill. With this team you lost easily. Hydreigon and Garchomp are sharing weakness, Hydreigon and Smeargle are sharing weakness. To use a Smeargle in its full potential, you need a lead. Without a lead, Smeargle gonna be waste of space :P
Consider a lead, then i could help you here, dude!
Well smeargle is supposed to act as the "lead" on this team, as described. But the whole reason I constructed this thread was for advice on how to potentially replace smeargle and improve the other members of this team, and those thoughts would be appreciated.

Sohryu
13th March 2012, 12:57 AM
Well smeargle is supposed to act as the "lead" on this team, as described. But the whole reason I constructed this thread was for advice on how to potentially replace smeargle and improve the other members of this team, and those thoughts would be appreciated.

Smeargle don't need to get out, what need to get out is Garchomp or Hydreigon.
If you wish to use this team in its full potential, i provide some sets xD
Smeargle@Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
~Baton Pas
~Cosmic power
~Swords dance/Dragon dance
~Leech seed/Sheel smash
Weel, i am using thats Smeargle, but he ONLY WORKS if you have a lead.
Garchomp@Life Orb/Choice band
Jolly nature
~Dragon claw
~Earthquake
~Fire fang
~Substitute/Stone edge
This thing works wonder with Smeargle, you hit everything for at least, neutral damage :P
As a lead, Grumpig, Rotom, Uxie, Mespritt, Cresselia, Spiritomb are good leads ^^

Shockking
13th March 2012, 2:53 AM
Smeargle don't need to get out, what need to get out is Garchomp or Hydreigon.
If you wish to use this team in its full potential, i provide some sets xD
Smeargle@Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
~Baton Pas
~Cosmic power
~Swords dance/Dragon dance
~Leech seed/Sheel smash
Weel, i am using thats Smeargle, but he ONLY WORKS if you have a lead.
Garchomp@Life Orb/Choice band
Jolly nature
~Dragon claw
~Earthquake
~Fire fang
~Substitute/Stone edge
This thing works wonder with Smeargle, you hit everything for at least, neutral damage :P
As a lead, Grumpig, Rotom, Uxie, Mespritt, Cresselia, Spiritomb are good leads ^^

I honestly think you should re-evaluate the way you rate. You go around telling people they HAVE to do this but not everyone has to play their battles the way you do. While some of your ideas are good, like the above Garchomp set (not bad), you have an annoying way of making everything sound like an argument. Also, please take some time to check your grammar and spelling in your posts, its getting quite frustrating.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 3:11 AM
Excuse me for saying this, but im not quite sure what you meant by that. If you could explain it in greater detail I would be grateful.

Sohryu
13th March 2012, 3:57 AM
Excuse me for saying this, but im not quite sure what you meant by that. If you could explain it in greater detail I would be grateful.

What you don't understand? Smeargle is not that good, even Tackle scare him.
So he needs a lead to protect him. When i mean, protect, i say when a poke can learn Captivate/Memento/Flash.
Leads are important, and must allways be considered, even if you don't like it...

Shockking
13th March 2012, 6:56 AM
What you don't understand? Smeargle is not that good, even Tackle scare him.
So he needs a lead to protect him. When i mean, protect, i say when a poke can learn Captivate/Memento/Flash.
Leads are important, and must allways be considered, even if you don't like it...

Why in the world would that need a lead? That is just a bad Baton Passer set and on a team of 3 for battle subway that Smeargle set and a lead won't be doing any damage so you're going to be relying on one Pokemon boosted by Smeargle and to be honest, that would be more gimmicky then what he had already.

Meeeps
13th March 2012, 7:36 AM
-ignores random arguing-

If you're going to run a offensive baton passer, perhaps try something like this

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Speed Boost
252/6/252/0/0/0
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
Protect
X-Scissor

Protect first turn, makes you faster than EVERYTHING. Swords Dance turn two, Protect turn 3 then Baton Pass turn 4.
Thats +2 Att, +3 Speed being passed on to something, though they do have to take a hit from whatever the enemy is.

You COULD run a crippler like above poster said, such as a Whimsicott or Shuckle to weaken your opponent's first pokemon before attempting this, therefore possibly getting an additional Swords Dance off. But it would mean heavily relying on your sweeper to win. If you do this, your sweeper will need lefties and sub, especially if it's something like Garchomp who can be hit with a 4x priority.

Overall, pretty random team, not a fan of dual weaknesses, but I'm sure you can come up with 2 pokes that cover each other nicely (Maybe Garchomp with a Metagross fallback? Metagross resists both of Chomp's weaknesses and has a priority if you want to use it).

Meeeps
13th March 2012, 7:38 AM
Double post fail. :(

Stymie
13th March 2012, 7:53 AM
For Garchomps third move, consider Outrage, is another dragon attack but very powerful, confusion as a result does not matter match as there are only three pokes. Outrage allows you to easily perform some late game sweeps. Having two dragon pokes is doable but maybe consider having something that can effectively switch in on steel or dragon attacks, Meeps advice on Ninjask is very good as well as your dragons are different types of attackers so you cannot give them boosts in there separate areas and the solution is to boost speed. Also if your Ninjask has swords dance you might want to place a sp.att boosting move on Hydreigon such as nasty plot (i am not certain it learns it but is is a dark type) so it can get boosts too not that it is necessary, just an option.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 3:18 PM
Why in the world would that need a lead? That is just a bad Baton Passer set and on a team of 3 for battle subway that Smeargle set and a lead won't be doing any damage so you're going to be relying on one Pokemon boosted by Smeargle and to be honest, that would be more gimmicky then what he had already.

I have to agree with shockking in that it seems pointless to run a lead just to use a baton passer. As I indicated in the original post, smeargle is not part of the core of the team, only the current option I am using.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 3:28 PM
-ignores random arguing-

If you're going to run a offensive baton passer, perhaps try something like this

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Speed Boost
252/6/252/0/0/0
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
Protect
X-Scissor

Protect first turn, makes you faster than EVERYTHING. Swords Dance turn two, Protect turn 3 then Baton Pass turn 4.
Thats +2 Att, +3 Speed being passed on to something, though they do have to take a hit from whatever the enemy is.

You COULD run a crippler like above poster said, such as a Whimsicott or Shuckle to weaken your opponent's first pokemon before attempting this, therefore possibly getting an additional Swords Dance off. But it would mean heavily relying on your sweeper to win. If you do this, your sweeper will need lefties and sub, especially if it's something like Garchomp who can be hit with a 4x priority.

Overall, pretty random team, not a fan of dual weaknesses, but I'm sure you can come up with 2 pokes that cover each other nicely (Maybe Garchomp with a Metagross fallback? Metagross resists both of Chomp's weaknesses and has a priority if you want to use it).

Alright, I'll have to try out ninjask as a baton passer, the thought hadn't quite occured to me yet. I like using smeargle as a baton passer only because shell smash allows more versatility, in that it raises speed, attack, and special attack so it can serve multiple purposes. But a baton passer isnt the crux of this set, I dont have to use one, I only want something that is effective in tandem with Garchomp/Hydreigon. But all the help is appreciated, thanks.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 3:31 PM
For Garchomps third move, consider Outrage, is another dragon attack but very powerful, confusion as a result does not matter match as there are only three pokes. Outrage allows you to easily perform some late game sweeps. Having two dragon pokes is doable but maybe consider having something that can effectively switch in on steel or dragon attacks, Meeps advice on Ninjask is very good as well as your dragons are different types of attackers so you cannot give them boosts in there separate areas and the solution is to boost speed. Also if your Ninjask has swords dance you might want to place a sp.att boosting move on Hydreigon such as nasty plot (i am not certain it learns it but is is a dark type) so it can get boosts too not that it is necessary, just an option.

For one, Garchomp cant learn outrage by level up, only by breeding in Gen V. And i really would rather not have to train another Garchomp. Its a mistake I made when training him to not learn that move, I know.
And actually, shell smash does boost both attack and special attack sharply(as well as speed) and that is the only reason i currently use smeargle.

Sohryu
13th March 2012, 5:08 PM
Oh,you don't need a lead only for a Baton Passer, you need a lead for supporting the whole team. Are you considering other poke? Hydreigon and Garchomp gonna attract Ice and Dragons attack, and BS your weakness became very pokemon movesets, thats why Garchomp is not a good idea together, understand?
Hydreigon@Leftovers/Life orb
Modest Nature
EV's: 252 EV's Sp atk, 252 Speed EV's
~Flame thrower
~Dragon pulse
~Work up
~Substitute/Earthquake
Hydreigon is best as Special sweeper, and he have acess to Dragon and Fire moves, what makes his attacks, unresisted. Work up works well with Earthquake, but is best with Substitute. Since Hax is very common on BS, its better you to be protected, you don't want to a OHKO move, correct? Thats why Substitute is amazing on Battle Subway.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 6:17 PM
To your question, im considering any potentially helpful additions/changes to my team. Provided they make sense...

Sohryu
13th March 2012, 6:59 PM
To your question, im considering any potentially helpful additions/changes to my team. Provided they make sense...

Pokes with high defenses, and acess to Status inducing and stats lowering moves, are the best option, they making moves like Swords dance and Work up more easy to use, since you don't need to worry with damage. If you lock the foe with Choice Scarf, and the foe knows Ice beam, you only need to change to something that resist it, thats example okay? xD
Mespritt, Uxie, Cresselia, Musharna, Spiritomb and Grumpig and Latias, are good options.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 7:05 PM
You seem to be constructing my team around stat-altering moves, and while currently its a smeargle-led team, that will change and it isnt the focal point of the team. And, by the way, im not locking them in with choice items, i dont know where you got that idea.

Sohryu
13th March 2012, 7:47 PM
I are SUGGESTING the TrickScarf strategy. But its okay, go for it, and you a lost after the 49 Battle. I'm done here, if you don't listen to anyone, just don't post your team, do it for yourself. And this team cant get far.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 8:08 PM
Dude, calm down, theres no reason to get mad, I simply didnt understand what you meant, but now its a little clearer. And for the record, I will listen to any and all suggestions and critiques, provided they are posted in a civilized manner. That is all. Have a nice day.

Sohryu
13th March 2012, 8:42 PM
Dude, calm down, theres no reason to get mad, I simply didnt understand what you meant, but now its a little clearer. And for the record, I will listen to any and all suggestions and critiques, provided they are posted in a civilized manner. That is all. Have a nice day.

Everything i suggest you and Shoccking are disagreeing!
If you guys just don't understand a thing, don't hesitate to ask. Something you should know, is that after the battle 49, all the pokes gonna have perfect IV's and EV's, thats why you need a strategy, i don't suggest Trickscarf for nothing.

Aura Sensei™
13th March 2012, 10:53 PM
I honestly think you should re-evaluate the way you rate. You go around telling people they HAVE to do this but not everyone has to play their battles the way you do. While some of your ideas are good, like the above Garchomp set (not bad), you have an annoying way of making everything sound like an argument. Also, please take some time to check your grammar and spelling in your posts, its getting quite frustrating.

And I think you should maybe re-evaluate the way you tell great raters to do things.

Anyways back on topic,you should get rid of Hydreigon,for a Quick Special Sweeper like Starmie.

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid Nature
~Surf
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam
~Recover

Standard.BoltBeam coverage.

Garchomp @Leftovers
Jolly Nature
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Substitute
~Swords Dance

You probably know this,Sub+SD=Sweep.

Hope you understood what I said ;)

Vulcan_Apocalypse
13th March 2012, 11:13 PM
Anyways back on topic,you should get rid of Hydreigon,for a Quick Special Sweeper like Starmie.

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid Nature
~Surf
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam
~Recover

Standard.BoltBeam coverage.

Garchomp @Leftovers
Jolly Nature
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Substitute
~Swords Dance

You probably know this,Sub+SD=Sweep.

Hope you understood what I said ;)

Firstly, be nice to my boy Shockking!
But thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it. :) And yes, I actually can understand you since you use English properly.

Shockking
14th March 2012, 3:42 AM
I would keep the set you have now for Garchomp but that Starmie set is a pretty good idea.

And have you noticed how many arguments/fights Akanjao has either been in or started recently Logan? I'm not saying his team ideas are bad I'm saying how he puts them out there is.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
14th March 2012, 4:08 AM
I would keep the set you have now for Garchomp but that Starmie set is a pretty good idea.

And have you noticed how many arguments/fights Akanjao has either been in or started recently Logan? I'm not saying his team ideas are bad I'm saying how he puts them out there is.

Yeah, im gonna fool around in the Subway once i get around to training a Starmie, atm im MMing and training Ferrothorn off and on.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
14th March 2012, 7:52 PM
Shockking, I have a question: In the team of Hydriegon, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp, who would work best as the lead?

Shockking
14th March 2012, 8:42 PM
Well, you should probably test around but I'd say... Probably Hydreigon. If that's not working Garchomp but definitely start by trying Hydreidgon. Usually starting with your back-up tank woulsdn't work and Choice users are good as revenge killers, so that's why I picked Hydreigon. Good luck :)
Also, changing Fire Blast to Flamethrower might be a good idea on Hydreigon because in the Subway things will sometimes miss when you need them the most...

Vulcan_Apocalypse
14th March 2012, 8:49 PM
Well, you should probably test around but I'd say... Probably Hydreigon. If that's not working Garchomp but definitely start by trying Hydreidgon. Usually starting with your back-up tank woulsdn't work and Choice users are good as revenge killers, so that's why I picked Hydreigon. Good luck :)
Also, changing Fire Blast to Flamethrower might be a good idea on Hydreigon because in the Subway things will sometimes miss when you need them the most...

Alright thanks, i finished MMing my shiny zorua and training ferrothorn so im gonna mess around in the subway and see what works well and what doesnt.
This is true, actually one time with Hydreigon i missed Draco Meteor(with 90% accuracy) 3 times in a row :P Thankfully i still won that battle, but it was annoying. The power drop is only like 5, right? If so then ill probably replace that.

Meeeps
14th March 2012, 8:54 PM
Shockking, I have a question: In the team of Hydriegon, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp, who would work best as the lead?

-thinks about it, then notices dual Fighting weakness in team-

I'm not sure which to run first. I was going to suggest Garchomp with a Focus Sash so you can get off garunteed Swords Dance for easy sweeps, but now I'd say Hydreigon just so you don't bring out your counter to Fighting (and main Fire type counter) right away.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
14th March 2012, 9:06 PM
-thinks about it, then notices dual Fighting weakness in team-

I'm not sure which to run first. I was going to suggest Garchomp with a Focus Sash so you can get off garunteed Swords Dance for easy sweeps, but now I'd say Hydreigon just so you don't bring out your counter to Fighting (and main Fire type counter) right away.

Alright, well since both of you agree then ill see what Hydreigon can do :) Thanks for the help everyone, keep it coming!

Sohryu
14th March 2012, 10:48 PM
Alright, well since both of you agree then ill see what Hydreigon can do :) Thanks for the help everyone, keep it coming!

You are using Draco Meteor on Hydreigon? Did you ever tried using him as a revenge killer with Draco meteor?
Hydreigon@Dragon Gem
Timid Nature
EV's: 252 Speed, 252 Atk
~Draco Meteor
~Flame thrower
~Earthpower
~Dark pulse
Theres not much difference of my Last Hydreigon.
Draco Meteor get's a 50% Boost from Dragon Gem. And don't lock you into a Single Move like Choice Specs do, so you can revenge killing more easy than you think ^^
If you don't understand something, just ask ^^

Vulcan_Apocalypse
14th March 2012, 11:02 PM
You are using Draco Meteor on Hydreigon? Did you ever tried using him as a revenge killer with Draco meteor?
Hydreigon@Dragon Gem
Timid Nature
EV's: 252 Speed, 252 Atk
~Draco Meteor
~Flame thrower
~Earthpower
~Dark pulse
Theres not much difference of my Last Hydreigon.
Draco Meteor get's a 50% Boost from Dragon Gem. And don't lock you into a Single Move like Choice Specs do, so you can revenge killing more easy than you think ^^
If you don't understand something, just ask ^^

Indeed, ive played around with him before as a revenge killer, & it works pretty well. In my current team he works well as a lead because of his power(augmented by life orb) and coverage. But a revenge-killing role definitely works well too.
You made perfect sense, your english seems to have improved.

Stay Gold
16th March 2012, 6:10 PM
For Garchomp, try a set along these lines

Garchomp@Choice Band
Jolly Nature
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Fire Fang/Crunch

I know you dont want to train another Garchomp, but breeding for Outrage will make a huge difference and is definitely worth it. The last two moveslots are left between Stone Edge, Fire Fang, and Crunch, it really all depends on your preference.

On Hydreigon, you should consider running Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor so you don't have to worry about stat drops

You seem to be in the need of a good lead, so I'd like to make a suggestion

Gengar@Focus Sash
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-Destiny Bond

This kind of Gengar is a very reliable lead, the idea is to kill what you can, and Destiny Bond what you can't. Shadow Ball is the obvious STAB move, Thunderbolt adds great coverage, and Focus Blast deals with many Pokemon that can otherwise pose a threat. The idea behind Timid nature, Focus Sash, and Destiny Bond is that if you can't 1/2HKO the Pokemon your up against, Focus Sash will save you from an OHKO, and then the next turn you use Destiny Bond to take the opponent down with you. If played correctly, you're garunteed to bring down at least one opposing Pokemon with this set as a lead.

Vulcan_Apocalypse
16th March 2012, 6:32 PM
For Garchomp, try a set along these lines

Garchomp@Choice Band
Jolly Nature
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
-Outrage
-Earthquake

I know you dont want to train another Garchomp, but breeding for Outrage will make a huge difference and is definitely worth it. The last two moveslots are left between Stone Edge, Fire Fang, and Crunch, it really all depends on your preference.

On Hydreigon, you should consider running Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor so you don't have to worry about stat drops

You seem to be in the need of a good lead, so I'd like to make a suggestion

Gengar@Focus Sash
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-Destiny Bond

This kind of Gengar is a very reliable lead, the idea is to kill what you can, and Destiny Bond what you can't. Shadow Ball is the obvious STAB move, Thunderbolt adds great coverage, and Focus Blast deals with many Pokemon that can otherwise pose a threat. The idea behind Timid nature, Focus Sash, and Destiny Bond is that if you can't 1/2HKO the Pokemon your up against, Focus Sash will save you from an OHKO, and then the next turn you use Destiny Bond to take the opponent down with you. If played correctly, you're garunteed to bring down at least one opposing Pokemon with this set as a lead.

Well, for Garchomp I really dont want to take the time to train it right now, maybe in the future but not for the short term.
As for Gengar, I actually have a very similar set running substitute instead of destiny bond, but ive heard alot of good things about that particular set, so ill have to try it out. Thanks for the advice!