PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to competitive. RMT and give feedback.

NotSoThermatic
27th March 2012, 9:07 PM
Hello guys. Just joined this forum, never have joined one before. Would really appreciate it if you were to rate my competitive team and give me some feedback and criticism. I'm new to competitive play and would love some help on how to go about raising a good team, this is my team thus far. Also any good 5th Gen Pokemon I should know about that might go well with my team as I'm getting Pokemon Black soon.
First off i'm torn between my two leads.

http://www.pokemonomega.com/images/pkmn_small/227.gif
Skarmory @ Wacan Berry
Sturdy
Careful + SpDef - SpAtk
252 HP / 156 SpDef / 100 Def
. Roost
. Brave Bird
. Roar
. Stealth Rock
Skarmory is a solid lead, boasting massive defensive stats and a good typing with lots of resistances. Using a combo of Stealth Rock and Roar I intend to break down the foe's team and heal off any damage I may receive using Roost. Brave Bird provides an attacking option, if the occasion arises. I'm confident with it's movepool but am always open to suggestions.

http://www.pokemonomega.com/images/pkmn_small/291.gif
Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Speed Boost
Adamant + Atk - SpAtk
252 HP / 128 Atk / 64 Def / 64 SpDef
. Baton Pass
. Swords Dance
. Protect
. X Scissor
Ninjask is my second lead and a predictable Baton Passer, nevertheless a good one. I start out with a Swords Dance and gain my first speed boost, then Protect for an added speed boost. Focus Sash will allow me to survive any hit, and if their move isn't an attacking one I'll proceed to do another Swords Dance. Finally I Baton Pass to my next Pokemon (namely Gyarados because of his sweeping potential). He may be frail but can be be incredibly useful in creating an almost unstoppable bulldozer that is Gyarados. X Scissor is a good move and, with STAB, can provide an attacking side to Ninjask if and when it is needed.

http://www.pokemonomega.com/images/pkmn_small/130.gif
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
Jolly + Spd - SpAtk
252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
. Waterfall
. Dragon Dance
. Ice Fang
. Aqua Tail (Needs to be replaced, can't decide on what move to have)
First off, I need to be rid of Aqua Tail because its pointless when I have Waterfall. Suggestions please. Right, Ice Fang deals with Dragons easily, and provides a useful advantage over Grass. Waterfall is amazing with STAB and any sort of attack boost gained (Ninjask or not) as I will definitely be keeping Dragon Dance. A great thing about Gyarados is his ability and his defences. He can take hits (provided not Electric) and so Dragon Dance is a useful movepool addition.

http://www.pokemonomega.com/images/pkmn_small/65.gif
Alakazam @ Life Orb
Inner Focus
Modest + SpAtk - Atk
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
. Psychic
. Focus Blast
. Protect
. Calm Mind (Again, needs to be replaced)
As a special sweeper, Alakazam is pretty much one of the best there is. High speed and outrageous Special Attack make him deadly. I decided on Life Orb because with him being so frail, it really doesn't matter if he loses some health. Moves are obvious again, Focus Blast for type coverage, albeit and unreliable one, and Psychic for STAB and power. Protect is used for stalling or to identify the foe's strategy. Calm Mind is wasted on Alakazam so please provide me with suggestions for a good move to go with my others.

http://www.pokemonomega.com/images/pkmn_small/143.gif
Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Thick Fat
Sassy + SpDef -Spd (Cafeful would be better I believe, but thats what I'm working with)
252 Atk / 156 Def / 100 SpDef
. Rest
. Curse
. Giga Impact
. Body Slam
They call him the famous Curslax I hear. Gotta give credit to Serebii.net for this set-up (yes I know they didnt invent it). Get 1 Curse under your belt, you're a huge threat. 2 and well you get the point. Chesto Berry heals off my sleep when I need to Rest. My two attacking moves being both Normal means I receive STAB for both (although I need to know which one should I replace and what with?). He deals massive damage with either move, especially under Curse.

http://www.pokemonomega.com/images/pkmn_small/477.gif
Dusknoir @ Muscle Band / Spell tag
Pressure
Adamant + Atk - SpAtk
252 HP / 156 SpDef / 100 Def
. Will-o-Wisp
. Pain Split
. Earthquake
. Shadow Punch
My newest addition to my team. I decided to splash out on defences with him when EV training to make him a great Tank. Will-o-Wisp cuts the opponents Attack (as well as burning) and Pain Split allows me to, in some respects, heal off when I'm low on HP. Shadow Punch isn't the best move, but with STAB and Dusknoir's above average Attack, it can deal a good amount of damage. Earthquake provides good coverage and has incredible base power.

Okay, thanks for taking the time guys. Like I said, would love some feedback, detailed if possible. I'm open to replacing Pokemon (especially either Skarmory or Ninjask as then don't fit well together).

Ilan
27th March 2012, 9:32 PM
Giga impact just no! no no no no never use it OR any variation! use earthquake instead of it.
Duscnoir is quiete terrible this gen use dusclops with eviolite it is much more bulky use night shade,will o wisp,pain split and taunt.

Alakazam: use magic guard and in the last 2 slots HP ice and shadow ball.
gyrados... it can learn earthquake.....
ninjask is horrible without a spinner support and most people just switch to their defensive pokemon and set up on it.
skarmory.. use spikes as skarmory have easy time setting spikes

365pokemon
27th March 2012, 9:42 PM
Giga impact just no! no no no no never use it OR any variation! use earthquake instead of it.
Duscnoir is quiete terrible this gen use dusclops with eviolite it is much more bulky use night shade,will o wisp,pain split and taunt.

Alakazam: use magic guard and in the last 2 slots HP ice and shadow ball.
gyrados... it can learn earthquake.....
ninjask is horrible without a spinner support and most people just switch to their defensive pokemon and set up on it.
skarmory.. use spikes as skarmory have easy time setting spikes
This is fourth gen. Dusclops with eviolite and magic guard alakazam did not exist.

NotSoThermatic
27th March 2012, 10:39 PM
This is fourth gen. Dusclops with eviolite and magic guard alakazam did not exist.
I will be moving onto 5th Gen soon so i'll keep that in mind. Other than that I will definitely be teaching Gyarados Earthquake, but I think Snorlax would be better suited with something like Crunch. Ninjask is predictable but I really think a Baton Passer at the ready is a good idea.