PDA

View Full Version : How Bout that Battle Subway

Stay Gold
28th March 2012, 1:45 AM
So..I came up for this team for the Subway Super Singles train and want to get some opinions on it.

Stoutland@Focus Sash
Timid Nature
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def, 252 HP, 252 Speed
-Thunder Wave
-Charm
-Snarl
-Sand-Attack

Stoutland is a great crippler for the subway that I feel is greatly underused. The idea here is to cripple the opponents lead as much as possible and set up with my other 2 pokes. The EVs and Timid nature optimize speed and durability. Honestly, Jolly nature would work just as well as Timid. For those who dont know, the AI is not smart enough to switch out even when their Pokes are crippled beyond belief, and this set is NOT meant to do any damage. Focus Sash lets me survive any moves that could kill me in one hit amd ensure i get at least 2 crippling moves off. The idea is to thunder wave anything faster than any of my Pokes, then just destroy their offensive stats.

Zoroark@Lum Berry/Wise Glasses?
Timid Nature
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Grass Knot
-Flamethrower

One of my two set up sweepers. Illusion will disguise him as Salamence, discouraging the two types he's weak to, Bug and Fighting. Basically, set up with Nasty Plot and sweep. Timid nature allows me to outspeed many Pokes, and I dont need Modest nature after Nasty Plot. I'm a bit undecided on the item, Lum Berry can prevent status moves that would mess up my sweep.

Salamence@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP, 252 Attack, 124 Speed
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake

My favorite set of my favorite Pokemon :D Logan would be proud. Anyways, this set will set up with DD on the pokemon crippled by Stoutland, Sub to block statuses and other such things. I chose Dragon Claw over Outrage because I dont wan't to have to deal with confusion if the Outrage only lasts 2 turns, Earthquake just for more coverage. Intimidate helps further cripple Physical attackers as well.

Feel free to suggest changes, if I were to replace any Poke on this team, it would be Zoroark, preferably replaced by another set up sweeper.

Meeeps
28th March 2012, 4:29 AM
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the Battle Subway cheats and knows it is really Zoroark. :x (I think so anyways, I'm not 100% on this)

GIANT fan of Stoutland! I never knew he could be such an effective cripple poke. I'd run Jolly over Timid just because you don't want the enemy pokemon to die, but still get off maximum Snarls.

What is your plan against pokemon with Defiant (Bisharp) or Clear Body (Tentacruel, Metagross, Regis)? I would suggest running a pokemon with Curse/Bulk Up/Calm Mid over Zoroark just so you have an option for come bulk if needed. I think Zoroark's great, but not suited for Subway action.

Salamence looks nice, got everything sorted on him. I agree with Dragon Claw over Outrage.

-edit-

v I'm aware Snarl is a special attack, Jolly reduces SpA so Stoutland can use Snarl more times, thus getting off the -1 SpA effect of Snarl more times (don't want to be killing the pokemon you're weakening, especially Physic/Ghost types who are weak to Snarl and often special based). :P

peacemaker987
28th March 2012, 4:54 AM
^Snarl is a special attack.

Just from skimming over it, I find that Stoutland may be a bit of a problem, with the threshold of 95 being the standard "usable" speed, having 252/80/+ just isn't enough to pull much off- it really is an awkward number -stuck between the fast sweepers and the slow tanks; I suggest switching to a more defensive spread to make use of Stoutland's decent 85/90/90 defensive stats. She certainly is a rather original choice.

252Hp/118Def/140Spe

This beats the fastest notable threat you can outrun, which is the Hasty Tyranitar, who can 2-3HKO you with Crunch, depending on min/max damage. On average it should get ~42%. It gets You can beat Scizor as well, since none of the four invests in speed, and Bullet Punch is weaker. Also, with the added bulk, Stoutland can take a few more physical fighting type attacks, since there are notable scarfed threats like the Jolly+Scarf Machamp. You can take a Dynamic Punch, it should do about 51%, scraping by a 2HKO. So you have one turn to cripple it, since Zoroark is also slower, and Zoroark is also weak to it.

This leads to another point, you can't really switch in Zoroark if your set up fails, and Salamence relies too much on setup. So make Zoroark the third party member to come out, and use him as a sort of suicide sweeper. This way you can also free up the Lum Berry so 'Mence can use Outrage. I think you can figure out a good all-out Zoroark on your own;

good luck.

chap196
28th March 2012, 11:46 AM
Stoutland
Item Leftover/ Normal Gem
Nature Adamant/ Jolly
Ability Intimidate
Move set
Retaliate
Crunch
Thunder Fang/ Wild Charge
Fire Fang/ Ice Fang/ Roar
Stoutland don't play support, Stoutland was use as a physical attacker.
Mostly I play Stoutland as a revenge killer, so I put Retaliate, also it will double power to 140 if your Pokemon fainted before using this move. The power is about 315 because of double power, STAB and Normal Gem.
Crunch is a useful move for Battle Subway to kill ghost type Pokemon.
Wild Charge is a powerful move, but you will loss damage because of recoil, or if you want to use Thunder Fang to paralyze and flinch opponent you can.
Fire fang is a only fire type move for Stoutland, so if you like fire type move for Stoutland then you put Fire Fang, therefore you can use Ice Fang if you want to freeze and flinch your opponent, but I recommend to use fire fang more because you can use fire fang to kill grass type Pokemon and also fire fang can kill steel type Pokemon or use Roar to get rid of Pokemon like Bronzong in Battle subway.

Stay Gold
28th March 2012, 12:14 PM
^Stoutlands a great crippler and ive seen people get 300+ streaks with him, so ill be sticking with a crippling set.

Thanks for all the feedback guys i'll definitely consider the changes you suggested.

terrytorterra
29th March 2012, 7:40 PM
Have you tried using Focus Sash on Zoroark?
dunno if you've already tested this team a lot, but it's an option if you get KO'd before you can set up.