PDA

View Full Version : My Standard Team

UGAfails
29th March 2012, 2:17 AM
I'm using this team for online battles and battles with my friends, any feedback would be great (This is my first post, don't attack me for noobishness)

Salamence@Life Orb
Nature: Hardy (I want him balanced)
Ability: Intimidate
Role: Mixed sweeper, all-around destroyer
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Claw

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Poison Heal
Role: Annoyer and Staller
-Spore
-Drain Punch
-Seed Bomb
-Bulk Up

Tyranitar@Choice Band
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Sand Stream
Role: Weather Summoner and Tank
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-???

Volcarona@Focus Sash (Rock type protection)
Nature: Mild
Ability: Flame Body
Role: Special Sweeper and Counter-Sun-Team
-Psychic
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz

Dusknoir@Shell Bell
Nature: Impish
Ability: Pressure
Role: Mixed Wall
-Pain Split
-Wil-O-Wisp
-Confuse Ray
-Shadow Sneak

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Water Absorb
Role: Healer and Bulky Water
-Wish
-Scald
-Aqua Ring
-Ice Beam

Any suggestion? These guys tend to work well but I feel like I can make them a lot better, particularly in the defense department.

chap196
29th March 2012, 7:35 AM
Tyranitar
Nature Adamant
Ability Sand Stream
Item Leftover
Move Set
Curse
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Payback
Curse will lower speed and gain attack and defense by 1 stage, which is useful for Tyranitar because
Tyranitar don't need speed and it make Tyranitar hard to defeat.
Earthquake is a powerful ground move which has base attack of 100
Stone Edge has high critical hit ratio
Payback is better than Crunch because Tyranitar is slow and payback will double power if your opponent attack you first.

Aurath8
29th March 2012, 6:42 PM
The only problem I find with Curse on Tyranitar is that any fighting type can come in and destroy you no matter how much you Curse. Here's my favourite 2 T-tar sets.

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Adamant
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Crunch
-Fire Blast/Ice Beam

one of the cool things about Substitute is that it gives you a free turn to do whatever. If they switch in a fighting type(lets say Terakion), you can use Substitute which stops you from being forced to switch. It also means you can smack Terakion or whatever with a powerful Focus Punch which goes great with Crunch.
Fire Blast/Ice Beam depends on which you hate more: Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory etc. or Dragon and Ground types.

Tyranitar@Leftovers/Life Orb
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

No-one uses DDtar. And that's why it's so threatening. It's unothordox and nobody expects yet at the same time it's actually a good Pokemon.

terrytorterra
29th March 2012, 7:49 PM
... IMO Tyranitar's set isn't your biggest problem.
Your biggest problem is even having it on the team. With no one, and I do mean NO ONE on your team able to play in the sand, you're just crippling your own team's longevity by summoning a permanent sandstorm.
If you want Tyranitar on your team, you'll need to either change the entire team, or go with DW T-tar which has Unnerve ability. Or you could replace it altogether. Should you choose to keep T-tar, you should use one of the sets supplied by Aurawarrior. With unnerve ability of course.

UGAfails
30th March 2012, 6:26 AM
... IMO Tyranitar's set isn't your biggest problem.
Your biggest problem is even having it on the team. With no one, and I do mean NO ONE on your team able to play in the sand, you're just crippling your own team's longevity by summoning a permanent sandstorm.
If you want Tyranitar on your team, you'll need to either change the entire team, or go with DW T-tar which has Unnerve ability. Or you could replace it altogether. Should you choose to keep T-tar, you should use one of the sets supplied by Aurawarrior. With unnerve ability of course.
I took your advice and swapped TTar out for Metagross
so...

Metagross@Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Role: Tank and Steath Rocker, is lead pokemon

-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rocks
-Meteor Mash

Or, should I swap Stealth Rocks out for Iron Defense and turn him into a better tank

terrytorterra
30th March 2012, 7:12 PM
No i think stealth rocks would work competitively, and certainly against your friends.
people don't like when they gotta pay to get on the battle field.

chap196
31st March 2012, 11:26 AM
To Aurawarrior8
I wouldn't recommend Tyranitar to have a special attack move because Tyranitar has less special attack than attack. I would rather use payback instead of Crunch because Tyranitar has low speed and payback will double attack if you are slower. Earthquake is better than ice beam or Fire blast because Tyranitar have more attack than special attack. Stone Edge is better than Focus Punch because it has STAB and the power will have the same as Focus Punch. Putting Substitute doesn't mean you need to put Focus Punch, if you are not playing curse then you put Substitute instead. Dragon Dance doesn't quite help Tyranitar because if you use Dragon Dance one time the base speed is about 91 which is not quite much, also you think fighting type can kill curse Tyranitar easily, but it has more chance to get kill by fighting type because Dragon Dance doesn't gain you defense.

Aurath8
31st March 2012, 1:13 PM
For Aurawarrior8
I wouldn't recommend Tyranitar to have a special attack move because Tyranitar has less special attack than attack. I would rather use payback instead of Crunch because Tyranitar has low speed and payback will double attack if you are slower. Earthquake is better than ice beam or Fire blast because Tyranitar have more attack than special attack.

Just because T-tar has less sp.attack doesn't mean he can't use it. I prefer Crunch because the oppenent won't always attack and T-tar won't always move last. Ice Beam or Fire Blast take care of problematic Pokemon for Tyranitar. Ice Beam takes care of ground types who can smash it with Erthquake as well as Dragons which are just powerful Pokemon in general. Fire Blast hits Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress and Skarmory which are all common Pokemon that T-tar has trouble with. Getting rid of these isn't jut beneficial to T-tar, it benefits the whole team. Half the team can't put a dent on Skarmory alone.

Stone Edge is better than Focus Punch because it has STAB and the power will have the same as Focus Punch. Putting Substitute doesn't mean you need to put Focus Punch, if you are not playing curse then you put Substitute instead.

Focus Punch goes great with Crunch. If I remember correctly, a grant total of 2 pokemon resist both Fghting and Dark moves.
In fact Stone Edge is about the same as Focus Punch here. It has the same power but much less accuracy and PP. However Focus Punch goes last, which makes the moves fairly balanced on their own.

Dragon Dance doesn't quite help Tyranitar because if you use Dragon Dance one time the base speed is about 91 which is not quite much, also you think fighting type can kill curse Tyranitar easily, but it has more chance to get kill by fighting type because Dragon Dance doesn't gain you defense.

You've made a mistake here with how a Pokemons' stats work. It's a bit complicated to go into now, but after 1 Dragon Dance, a max speed Jolly T-tar will beat a max speed timid Starmie which has a Base Speed of 115. It's actually very fast even after 1 boost.
And yes any decent fighting type can kill T-tar easily in one or two hits. It doesn't matter how much you boost his Defence. He has a x4 weakness to fighting. Without any boosts most STAB fighting moves have enough power to kill over 2 Tyranitars. Unless your opponent is stupid enough to let you get 6 Curses it's not very effective.

But of course, none of this matters since he has chosen Metagross now.

terrytorterra
31st March 2012, 8:01 PM
3 pokemon resist.
but the point is there. Dark/Fighting gets probably the second best coverage, after ghost fighting which has perfect coverge (yay shadowball+focus blast...)
lol just for reference
Ghost/fighting misses 0
dark/fighting misses 3
EdgeQuake misses 9
BoltBeam misses 13 or 14,

you can see why these are such common and foundational combos :P