PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the Subway (doubles)

Pidj
29th March 2012, 5:25 PM
I've played a little bit with hail before in doubles (and singles actually!) but I got stopped pretty quickly so I switched to rain and found that much easier.

So after (in my mind) succeeding with rain and getting frustrated in the singles line I'm thinking about having another crack at the doubles with hail and have come up with this:

Abomasnow@choice scarf
Snow warning
Modest
4HP/252Sp.A/252Spe
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Essential. Scarfed to get extra speed to start hitting. From memory it works out as a blizzard + 3 fillers.

Weavile@focus sash
Pressure
Jolly
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
- Fake Out
- Ice punch
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance/Brick Break/Low Sweep/Protect

Weavile was a good partner for the snowman before so I'm thinking of sticking with it. Fake out flinches one of the opponents first go (the bigger threat) whilst 'Snow blizzards both of them. Ice shard isn't needed because Weavile is so fast its only outsped by the top 20ish pokes so ice punch acts pretty much as a harder hitting ice priority move. I built this weavile originally as a singles lead so it has swords dance in the 4th slot but any of the other 3 options there are probably preferred

Azumarill @muscle band/mystic water
Huge Power
Adamant
252HP/252Atk/4Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Double Edge
- Superpower/Brick Break/Protect

Saw this elsewhere and just finished breeding and training this guy and I did that to play about with him on my rain team but I think he'd act as a good counter to a few of my threats quite well. Also not rock weak which is a big plus! I built him because of aqua jet. It should be bulky and, with huge power, hit hard. Currently has superpower from breeding (think I have a spare if anyone is interested in one of these) but not sure if I like the side effect.

Rotom-H @wide lens
Levitate
Timid
4HP/252Sp.A/252Spe
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball?
- Thunderwave/Protect?

This is currently a Rotom-W but I think it would work as an oven for this team. It gives me a helpful fire move which should be 99% accurate when you include the item its holding. Thunderbolt is useful to counter waters which I only had 'Snow for but he'd probably be locked in to Blizzards. Not sure what to do for the final two moveslots. And this is probably the first guy to change as I've just thrown him in to counter weaknesses.

Observations:
- I'm going to hate rock slides
- I only have one blizzard abuser. I feel I could make better use of the hail
- I also feel I'm not abusing Snow Cloak either. I do have a Mamoswine (which still seemed to get hit by
EVERYTHING) but I intend to breed a Frosslass at some point and maybe I should do that sooner rather than later. For this team I'd run Shadow ball/T-bolt/Ice beam/spikes. I know spikes isn't good for a doubles team but I want spikes for other battling and I won't be bothered with breeding and training twice.
- Past members for the back up of this team have included a Mamoswine, Jellicent, Starmie, Togekiss and Chandelure. I can go in to more details on these if people think I could make it work but I had a tough time before
- 'Snow and Weavile are all or nothing. I'd either 4-0 teams or a win would be a big struggle.
- Dragons are fun to play against :)

terrytorterra
29th March 2012, 7:30 PM
I would choose brick break or low sweep as my 4th option on weavile. let's it take care of steel types while abomasnow continues to use blizzard without care.
and with a scarf, Modest nature will suit better to let you get those critical KOs.

lol you have 252 HP on azu, then another 4. i think you meant speed right?
other than that, i do think the -1 def form superpower and the recoil form double edge is going to really cut its longevity on the field. Maybe switch out super power for birck break, as you mentioned, or even something like dig or bulldoze to let it take care of electric types.

why do you have wide lens on Rotom?
it doenst really need it, unless you mean wise glasses which is a totally different thing.

As for other teammates, you could still consider those with Magic Guard ability and those who have Overcoat, like Reuniclus and Alakazam. both can resist your fighting weaknesses, as rotom is no longer ghost type.

Pidj
29th March 2012, 8:06 PM
I would choose brick break or low sweep as my 4th option on weavile. let's it take care of steel types while abomasnow continues to use blizzard without care.
and with a scarf, Modest nature will suit better to let you get those critical KOs.

lol you have 252 HP on azu, then another 4. i think you meant speed right?
other than that, i do think the -1 def form superpower and the recoil form double edge is going to really cut its longevity on the field. Maybe switch out super power for birck break, as you mentioned, or even something like dig or bulldoze to let it take care of electric types.

why do you have wide lens on Rotom?
it doenst really need it, unless you mean wise glasses which is a totally different thing.

As for other teammates, you could still consider those with Magic Guard ability and those who have Overcoat, like Reuniclus and Alakazam. both can resist your fighting weaknesses, as rotom is no longer ghost type.

It would appear I agree with you. I've just checked my game and I havea Modest Abomasnow. Good spot and lucky me!

I did mean speed and thanks for spotting that. I'm currently thinking about changing to brick break. It's one of the changes I hate to make because if I regret it I can't change it back!

I did mean wide-lens. I'm always worried about the hax in the subway and missing so when thinking of an item for Rotom I thought wide lens would help as it takes Overheat from 90% accuracy to 99% accuracy but wise glasses is a good suggestion and I'll certainly think about that. I know Rotom isn't ghost anymore but I was trying to minimise weaknesses and have something a little bit bulky for switch ins and something that can hit hard. But I do have a Magic Guard Alakazam which is wonderful in hail with a life orb because it doesn't take damage from the hail and it doesn't take recoil either. It hits hard too as a result and it's fast. The only issues I have with it are it's coverage in it's attacking moves and it's frailty which I get around with Rotom. Certainly worth thinking about though, thanks.

terrytorterra
30th March 2012, 7:21 PM
Well what you could do is change it and try it out in the Battle Institute where you dont have to save, and if you dont like it, then you could just soft reset and keep Superpower.

Aura Sensei™
31st March 2012, 12:19 AM
Team looks fine :) But if you're using Alakazam,run this:

Alakazam @Life Orb
Modest / Timid Nature
-Wonder Guard-
~ Psychic / Psyshock
~ HP Fighting
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt / Calm Mind

Personally,Alakazam is too frail to set up properly ;)

Dragontamer1011
1st April 2012, 10:15 PM
I spent some time looking at Abomasnows options and he has quite a few decent ones, actually. He can be slightly defensive with Leech Seed and he has Growth for boosting Special Attack. From fourth Gen tutors he can also get Outrage and Synthesis, which are pretty useful as well, just throwing those out there.

I've always liked Weavile, but I'm not sure if you'll really get a chance to use Swords Dance to its fullest extent because of Weaviles fragility. Ice Shard is a good priority move if its needed as well. Otherwise I'd go with Fake Out, Ice Punch, Night Slash, and maybe Taunt or Brick Break.

Azumarill I'm not sure about, as you really need something that can soak up fighting attacks since those are pretty common. Overcoat and Magic Guard prevent Hail damage, so thats an idea, since Psychic Pokemon resist fighting.

Rotoms are kinda bulky, but they make decent Special Attackers as well. Personally, I'd go with a Scarf (SpA or Speed one) and the moves Trick, Overheat, Thunderbolt, and Shadow Ball.

Good luck!

Pidj
1st April 2012, 10:25 PM
I spent some time looking at Abomasnows options and he has quite a few decent ones, actually. He can be slightly defensive with Leech Seed and he has Growth for boosting Special Attack. From fourth Gen tutors he can also get Outrage and Synthesis, which are pretty useful as well, just throwing those out there.

I've always liked Weavile, but I'm not sure if you'll really get a chance to use Swords Dance to its fullest extent because of Weaviles fragility. Ice Shard is a good priority move if its needed as well. Otherwise I'd go with Fake Out, Ice Punch, Night Slash, and maybe Taunt or Brick Break.

Azumarill I'm not sure about, as you really need something that can soak up fighting attacks since those are pretty common. Overcoat and Magic Guard prevent Hail damage, so thats an idea, since Psychic Pokemon resist fighting.

Rotoms are kinda bulky, but they make decent Special Attackers as well. Personally, I'd go with a Scarf (SpA or Speed one) and the moves Trick, Overheat, Thunderbolt, and Shadow Ball.

Good luck!

Thanks! The team didn't go too well though - actually it kinda sucked. I had seriosu issues in my third battle against a Klinklang and a Conkeldurr. My Chandelure would have worked much better for that battle. I should put more effort into the theory side before just throwing out ideas!