PDA

View Full Version : A monotype team? But TBR Already made one! This must be some kind of conspiracy...

Lapras!
9th April 2012, 4:14 PM
For those of you who don't know me I used to rate here a while ago but left for reasons I won't get into right now... anyway my skills are quite rusty so I could use help on this... Most of the sets are standard smogon standardliness but I tried to get the team to work together well...

... Ice monotype. **** yeah.

Basically the strategy that made the most sense here was hail. STAB Blizzard (in several cases) makes it seem almost silly to do anything else. I didn't even bother with synergy. Ice is such a horrible defensive type anyway that my idea is to kill them before they kill me which explains the team's offensive bias. Nonetheless Lapras (<3) functions as a wall and is pivotal to the overall strategy of whittling down the opponents' HP with spikes so my sweepers can do the rest. (A lot of the time due to their frailty they won't get a chance to set up so spikes support is ver. useful here)

Abomasnow@Expert Belt
Lonely
4HP/252A/252Spe
-Ice Shard
-Blizzard
-Wood Hammer
-EQ

Yeah... basically his job is to set up hail. While he's there he can damage the foe a bit with his plethora of strong offensive moves.

Froslass@Leftovers
Timid
252HP/4SDef/252Spe
-Spikes
-Twave
-Blizzard
-Pain Split

Support. Sets up spikes for my later sweepers/Lapras. Twave to make things easier for everyone. Pain Split for recovery and to **** with Blisseys.

Lapras@Lefties
Calm
-Blizzard
-Tbolt
-Heal Bell
-Roar

Idea behind him is a general purpose wall to make use of spikes and also heal the team. I haven't made a proper ev spread in a long time but I want his defences to be even-ish while his HP is at the maximum lefties recovery point, and I cbf figuring all that out right now.

Jynx@Lefties/Life Orb
Timid
4 HP/252SA/252Spe
-Lovely Kiss
-Nasty Plot
-Psychic
-Blizzard/Ice Beam

Somewhat gimmicky set but useful nonetheless. Jynx is actually a decent special sweeper when you ignore all the other superior (non ice-type) ones out there. Ice Beam is an option to revenge kill hippowdon with in case one comes along and tries to ruin my life. I'm not sure how the calcs fare but if I can OHKO one (with spikes) without the life orb then I'll just go with lefties.

Weavile@Life Orb
Jolly
4 HP/252A/252Spe
-Aerial Ace
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch
-Low Kick

Clean up/Physical sweeper. Aerial Ace as an option to kill those Double-Teaming ****ers.

Cloyster@Life Orb
Naive/Skill Link
4HP/252A/252Spe
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Hydro Pump/ Razor Shell

I love this set so much I can't resist using it.

Rate away.

LightningRevolver
9th April 2012, 4:21 PM
Nice nonotype. BTW, that kind of Jynx in LGreen E4 massacred me.

snivy trainer
9th April 2012, 5:03 PM
On Cloyster, you could go Jolly and run Razor Shell instead of hydro Pump. Shell Smash also boosts it. If you run Focus Sash, you can get at least 1 Shell Smash boost, then sweep with your moves.

Aura Sensei™
9th April 2012, 5:16 PM
Abomasnow @Choice Scarf
Lonely Nature
252 Atk. l 172 Speed l 76 HP
~ Wood Hammer
~ Focus Blast
~ Ice Shard / Blizzard
~ Earthquake

Weavile @Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 Atk. l 200 Speed l 56 HP
~ Ice Punch / Ice Shard
~ Swords Dance
~ Brick Break
~ Night Slash

Nice team dude :)

terrytorterra
9th April 2012, 6:34 PM
On Cloyster, you could go Jolly and run Razor Shell instead of hydro Pump. Shell Smash also boosts it. If you run Focus Sash, you can get at least 1 Shell Smash boost, then sweep with your moves.

Shell smash boosts special attack too... and you need to be wary of priority users if you run sash, particularly scizor, who will sweep most of this team if banded.
But I agree. go with razor shell so you can invest more in attack instead of being split.

and let's ease up on the f bombs here.

Lapras!
10th April 2012, 6:05 AM
Abomasnow @Choice Scarf
Lonely Nature
252 Atk. l 172 Speed l 76 HP
~ Wood Hammer
~ Focus Blast
~ Ice Shard / Blizzard
~ Earthquake

Weavile @Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 Atk. l 200 Speed l 56 HP
~ Ice Punch / Ice Shard
~ Swords Dance
~ Brick Break
~ Night Slash

Nice team dude :)

My problem with that abomasnow is that I don't really like using choice items ingame, and additionally if I really need to go first I always have Ice Shard... besides Weavile is my preferred revenge killer anyway. As for the Weavile I see Ice Shard and Swords Dance as viable options competitively however I would prefer the protection given to me by Faint Attack in game. So perhaps Faint Attack > Night Slash on my set and then Ice Shard or SD in the remaining slot... do you think that could work? Also I'd like to know what those EVs outspeed... it might be a useful target.

thanks for the rate!

@snivy trainer: Idk about Focus Sash on cloyster since I mostly intend to set up on physical threats and also if you use a focus sash ingame it's gone forever. I think.

go with razor shell so you can invest more in attack instead of being split.

Hmm I'm new to 5th gen so razor shell is quite an interesting move to me... except I don't know whether I should give up the special support afforded by Hydro Pump for it... Hydro Pump has the advange of dealing with physically bulky steel types so I wouldn't have to die and then revenge kill them with Weavile... but I will consider Razor Shell as an option too. Thank you (and snivy trainer) for pointing it out! (:

and let's ease up on the f bombs here.

Yeah I deleted one (:

terrytorterra
10th April 2012, 6:32 AM
My problem with that abomasnow is that I don't really like using choice items ingame, and additionally if I really need to go first I always have Ice Shard... besides Weavile is my preferred revenge killer anyway. As for the Weavile I see Ice Shard and Swords Dance as viable options competitively however I would prefer the protection given to me by Faint Attack in game. So perhaps Faint Attack > Night Slash on my set and then Ice Shard or SD in the remaining slot... do you think that could work? Also I'd like to know what those EVs outspeed... it might be a useful target.

Yeah I deleted one (:

Agreed on the abomasnow, but I would keep it alive to be able to bring weather back should it be cancelled or replaced.
and lol thanks ^^

btw, if said Scizor also had Superpower, it'd sweep the entire team with Life Orb after a SD. :P
just be careful...

[GS]
10th April 2012, 11:52 PM
I'd say keep Hydro Pump on Cloyster, +2 STAB attacks hurt, and it'll help you out against physical walls.

Since you get boned pretty hard by fighting types, go with Aerial Ace>Faint Attack on Weavile. You still get 100% accuracy with the added bonus of taking out something threatening.

Lapras!
11th April 2012, 4:28 AM
Agreed on the abomasnow, but I would keep it alive to be able to bring weather back should it be cancelled or replaced.
and lol thanks ^^

btw, if said Scizor also had Superpower, it'd sweep the entire team with Life Orb after a SD. :P
just be careful...

yeah this can be a bit of an issue. I guess my only way of dealing with him would be to switch in Froslass, paralyse him, and then revenge kill with something else.

I'd say keep Hydro Pump on Cloyster, +2 STAB attacks hurt, and it'll help you out against physical walls.

Since you get boned pretty hard by fighting types, go with Aerial Ace>Faint Attack on Weavile. You still get 100% accuracy with the added bonus of taking out something threatening.

Yes. I forgot Weavile had Aerial Ace... that's perfect. Thanks.

terrytorterra
11th April 2012, 5:03 AM
Well Froslass is still OHKOd by a +2 bullet punch since she doesnt have a sash and you'd be probably coming in on a switch. She'd be dead either way actually, since her defenses are so fragile.

Lapras!
11th April 2012, 9:54 AM
Well Froslass is still OHKOd by a +2 bullet punch since she doesnt have a sash and you'd be probably coming in on a switch. She'd be dead either way actually, since her defenses are so fragile.

well in that case then I'll just switch to Lapras and use Roar, and then get one of my sweepers to set up and deal with the rest of the team. As long as Lapras can survive a +2 Superpower that should work.

terrytorterra
11th April 2012, 7:52 PM
+2 Superpower by Adamant 252 atk Scizor will do 133~157% to a 252hp/252def bold lapras.
in other words, there's no chance of survival

even if scizor already used a superpower before so its only at +1, it'll still do over a 100% with the same stats.

I think your best bet against it will be to put sash on froslass and switch her in after someone faints to T-wave scizor. or use sash on anyone else who can cripple and do the same thing.

@edit: I take that back. You could bait for a Superpower and switch into froslass (provided she's still alive and still has the sash on) and take the superpower, then cripple