PDA

View Full Version : The Weekend [One-Shot, PG]

Deadly.Braviary
18th April 2012, 10:06 AM
Rated PG for minor swearing and Pokemon violence. This is meant to be a one-shot read in two parts. Part two coming soon!

The Weekend
or, the harsh reality of a trainer's world

"And welcome back to the semifinal round of the 2010 Unova Championships! These are the victors from the top eight round who've made it to the top four and are now about to face off, Sean 'Superstar' Stevens and Connor O'Sullivan!" the announcer - a thirty-something bald man with a stubble reluctantly becoming a beard, dressed in a suit a size too small for him - proudly declared as the commercial break ended. Maxwell Powers stared interestedly at the TV.

The two battlers stepped back up to their podiums: O'Sullivan, an uber-confident young man, just out of his teens, with dark hair gelled into perfect spikes, wearing a black leather jacket and jeans; and Stevens, calm and cool, a few years older than his opponent, dressed like the common man in a plain grey tee and sweatpants, his brown hair waving in the breeze that Max could almost feel on his face.

"Here's an update on where we are. Currently, Stevens holds the upper hand with five points, while O'Sullivan has three only." As he talked, a diagram showing the defeated Pokemon of each appeared. Stevens' Bisharp, Klank and Druddigon had been KOed, while O'Sullivan's Serperior, Excadrill, Haxorus, Krookodile and Amoonguss had fallen.

"Go, Beartic!" Stevens double-clicked the button on a Timer Ball rapidly. The first click caused the golf-ball-sized Timer Ball to expand to the size of a large plum. On the second, what appeared to be a huge, bipedal polar bear formed as an orange beam of light burst out from the capture device. However, Max knew better: eight and a half feet tall, with insulating four-inch-long hairs and paws that could punch dents in trees, Beartic was a force to be reckoned with.

"Check out my secret weapon!" O'Sullivan replied, raising a purple and white sphere - a rare and expensive MasterBall. On double-clicking, a burst of violet light exploded revealing -

CLICK.

The TV turned off and Max turned to his father in anger. "Hey, I was watching that!"

"For the tenth time these past few weeks," Mr Powers argued. "You know how it ends already! Besides, you're leaving for summer camp tomorrow."

"But I hate summer camps!"

"That's why you're going. It's a Pokemon trainer camp and it's very exclusive. In fact, only three people had enough money to sign up. It's a one-on-one experience with a very famous counsellor. I'm told he took part in this crap." Mr Powers nodded to the TV. Evidently he meant the Championships.

Max's great-grandfather had sponsored the building of the Nimbasa Ferris Wheel in their hometown. Now the family was moderately rich and well-known, due to Mr Power's career in Pokemon Baccer management. However, Max was regarded as the black sheep - instead of going into finance, the twelve-year-old preteen preferred to become a Pokemon trainer once he was old enough to (the minimum age was sixteen).

Enticed by the possibility of meeting the Unova Champion, if not the Federal League Champion, Max asked, "How far did he make it? Did he win?"

"I think so," Mr Powers said, trying to evade questions from an area he despised. "Go pack now! We're leaving at six a.m.!"

"Him?"

Max stared into the hazel eyes of the single counselor at Trainercamp. The latter looked world-weary, as though life had chewed him up and spat him out. Running a hand through chocolate-coloured unruly hair, the man then placed his hands in the pockets of his trench coat, which he wore over a white tee and cargo pants. About six feet tall, his chiselled features gave away his identity.

"But he didn't even win! You told me the counselor won the Championship!" Max protested.

"I ... don't ... care!" Teeth gritted, Mr Powers climbed back into the limo. "Parker, take me home before he kills me!" Their chauffeur hit the pedal, and the car swerved away before Max could protest anymore.

Leaving the almost-in-tears boy with Sean Stevens.

"Hey there, what's your name?" Stevens said, trying to be friendly. He knelt down. Max promptly told him where exactly he could stuff his 'hey there's.

PhantomDragon
18th April 2012, 11:15 AM
A spoilt rich kid being forced into a summer camp? Interesting concept. Will we get to see what was in the Master Ball in Part 2?

Deadly.Braviary
18th April 2012, 11:25 AM
A spoilt rich kid being forced into a summer camp? Interesting concept. Will we get to see what was in the Master Ball in Part 2?

Thank you, and we probably won't see it. Not to say, of course, that someone won't mention it.