PDA

View Full Version : Why is it raining??? [B/W RMT]

Emeraldfan
20th April 2012, 4:16 PM
Well hello everybody,

Some of you may know me, some of you won't. It doesn't really matter. This is my first post in this particular part of the Serebii Forums, if I recall correctly.

Since a few weeks I've been playing through Pokémon White. Now really close to the end, having 8 badges already, and what I think is sufficiently levelled I'm going to try and save the world. But this thread is not about that team of heroes.

I've already decided that I'm going to let all of my Pokémon, save my starter, retire, and my team will be completely revamped. My team will of course be posted underneath, I'll just state a few facts before:

- This is not a rain team, even though the title may suggest one. It's just that it was raining when I started writing this, and to be really honest, I was slightly depressed by that.
- I won't be using Legendary or Semi-Legendary Pokémon. I'm not sure if Zoroark is classified as being Semi-Legendary, but if he is, that's the only exception I'll make. The reason for not using those Pokémon is that I want more of an ordinairy trainer, with Pokémon most other trainers would also be able to acquire.
- I'd rather not breed my starter for egg-moves or another nature. The only thing in this whole game that I actually planned beforehand was my starter, his nature and his moveset. The moveset I'm willing to change, but it'll be difficult to switch natures while still keeping my starter. But this does not mean that I'll not consider any good advice, it's just a bit less likely that I'll breed for my Serperior.
- I've not actually played the Battle Subway yet, so for now, please do not suggest those items, since I cannot transfer them from my other games either.
- I have acces to most Pokémon, but I don't really have any event Pokémon, besides those to unlock Zoroark. But since those are Legendary Pokémon, I won't be using them.

I think this is about it for the introduction, on to the team!

http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite/497.png

Serperior @ Leftovers
Careful @ Overgrow
~ Leaf Blade
~ Return
~ Leech Seed
~ Coil

The idea behind this very set is simple. Leaf Blade is one powerful STAB move, boosted by Coil. The combination of Careful nature, Leech Seed, Leftovers and Coil allow Serperior to tank hits, and Return is there for means of coverage.

http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/normal/ninetales.png

Ninetales @
Timid @ Flash Fire
~ Flamethrower
~ Energy Ball
~ Extrasensory
~ Nasty Plot

Flamethrower is the obvious STAB move here. Energy Ball is to deal with all of Ninetales' weaknesses. Extrasensory is a filler move mostly, but helps to deal with the Poison types Serperior doesn't like. Nasty Plot to make sweeping a whole lot easier. I decided against Psyshock, since most Fighting and Poison types have a higher Defence than Special Defence, thus making Extrasensory more useful.

http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/platinum/normal/kabutops.png

Kabutops @ King's Rock
Jolly @ Swift Swim
~ Waterfall
~ Rock Slide
~ Aqua Jet
~ Swords Dance

Well, again, two obvious STAB moves, Waterfall and Rock Slide. Since they both have the chance of flinching the opponent, I found a King's Rock to be an appropriate item, it heightens that chance of flinching even more.
Swords Dance is obvious as well, helping boost his attack. Swift Swim is to take advantage of the Rain, if it is to be in play. Aqua Jet is priority, and with STAB and hopefully and SD, it becomes quite powerful. I opted Aqua Jet over X-Scissor, since Kabutops doesn't get any notable coverage from it, and generally just wants to run from Grass types.

http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/normal/rotom-fan.png

Rotom @
Timid @ Levitate
~ Discharge
~ Air Slash
~ Shadow Ball
~ Pain Split

Those first three moves are pretty easy. Two of them are STAB, Discharge and Air Slash. No Thunderbolt, because I really like the chance of paralysis Discharge gives. Shadow Ball is not a STAB anymore in his Fan-form, but powerful nontheless.
For the last move, I've decided to go with Pain Split. Rotom-Fan has natural bulk, and low Hit Points. Pain Split can use this to it's fullest advantage, making it more useful than Volt Switch, since I won't really need to keep up momentum like you need in online play. In-game I'd rarely ever use the move, so that's why I decided against it.

http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/normal/zoroark.png

Zoroark @
Timid @ Illusion
~ Dark Pulse
~ Flamethrower
~ Focus Blast
~ Nasty Plot

Is Zoroark considered to be Semi-Legendary? I don't know, but I've always wanted to use one and since it is not that much overpowered, strong but frail, I decided to use one. Dark Pulse is STAB, and I've opted it over Night Daze because it has slightly higher accuracy, but now, I'm not so sure that such a reason is reason enough. Flamethrower and Focus Blast are reasonable though. Both are used for coverage, and they do the job pretty well. Nasty Plot then is used to absolutely boost the Special Attack through the roof.

http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/heartgold-soulsilver/normal/swellow.png

Swellow @
Adamant @ Guts
~ Fly
~ Return
~ Steel Wing
~ Roost

Since I by accident deleted my Swellow on my Emerald savefile, I made a mistake while cloning, I could never really forget this bird. I've decided that this is the appropriate moment to honor that Swellow by using one in my Unova adventure.
Fly is a STAB move, but one a lot of players don't seem to think is acceptable in-game. I disagree. It's pretty powerful, hits most of the time and allows you to transport yourself across the region. How conveniant!
Return is the second STAB move, and really powerfull when at full power. Roost is there for healing, since predicting the correct turn to do so is after all pretty easy in-game. Here again, I've decided not to use U-Turn, for the very same reasons why I decided against Volt Switch. There's not really any momentum I need to keep, and thus I'd rarely ever use the move. Adamant nature, and not Jolly because Swellow needs that extra power.

Well this was it for my team. I'd like some advice on what items to use and also of course the constructive criticism.

;381; Emeraldfan signing off ~

Credit goes to pokemondb.net for the sprites.

Aurath8
20th April 2012, 9:54 PM
Use Brave Bird > Roost on Swellow. Swellow's so frail it won't get a chance to use Roost. And yes, Fly sucks in battle. Or rather, it's very inefficient at doing damage compared to other moves.

As for Rotom, apart from Hidden Power and various status moves like Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave you don't have much choice. I suggest Hidden Power[Fighting] over Shadow Ball/Volt Switch. It goes great with Air Slash. In fact, only Rotom, Rotom-Fan, Zapdos and Thundurus resist it.

And a little nitpick, Kabutops is faster than Breloom. Still doesn't matter though since he could beat you forwards, backwards and sideways. Fair point on X-scissor though; I wouldn't risk being OHKOed and forgo a cool priority move for a clean hit on most Grass types.

Meeeps
20th April 2012, 11:41 PM
Facade Swellow with Flame/Toxic Orb is scary powerful and fast, I suggest it over return. I wouldn't not run Fly on the same set (or any competitive set, really).

Emeraldfan
21st April 2012, 11:49 AM
Use Brave Bird > Roost on Swellow. Swellow's so frail it won't get a chance to use Roost. And yes, Fly sucks in battle. Or rather, it's very inefficient at doing damage compared to other moves.

As for Rotom, apart from Hidden Power and various status moves like Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave you don't have much choice. I suggest Hidden Power[Fighting] over Shadow Ball/Volt Switch. It goes great with Air Slash. In fact, only Rotom, Rotom-Fan, Zapdos and Thundurus resist it.

And a little nitpick, Kabutops is faster than Breloom. Still doesn't matter though since he could beat you forwards, backwards and sideways. Fair point on X-scissor though; I wouldn't risk being OHKOed and forgo a cool priority move for a clean hit on most Grass types.

It is true that Fly is really inefficient. But the AI is just too dumb to take advantage of it, in fact, Fly even helps with stalling in-game :) I'll still consider Brave Bird over Roost though.

Though Hidden Power [Fighting] is of course a great idea, I had already rejected it before, mainly because I don't want to spend ages breeding for a decent-powered one. I like the idea though, so if I ever got too much time on my hands, that's probably what I'll be doing.

Whoops, I was actually completely convinced Breloom was faster. Anyway, Mach Punch will absolutely demolish Kapubops, so I just won't stay in at all :)

Facade Swellow with Flame/Toxic Orb is scary powerful and fast, I suggest it over return. I wouldn't not run Fly on the same set (or any competitive set, really).

This could be a really cool idea, be it not that a Flame and/or Toxic Orb are only available through the Gear Shop. And I believe that I mentioned that I haven't and wouldn't play the Subway for now, making those items unavailable.

As for Fly, see the comment above. Besides that, I do need it for transportation, I don't want to carry some Pokémon around just for HM-moves only.

terrytorterra
21st April 2012, 5:03 PM
first of all, good luck with the game!

nice serprior,
nice kabutops,
nice ninetails
i would use volt switch on rotom to let you switch to better counters easier,
and u-turn on swallow to do the same.
i think i would hide zoroark as either rotom or kabutops to pick off the ghost and grass types who might be switched in for them.

Ana_Julía
21st April 2012, 11:07 PM
You gonna Rate here too, Emerald? Be welcome! ^^
Huhn, let me see, since you are keep Fly on Sweelow, i would give him Leftovers, just for a free Leftovers Turn, if you can sure O.o
Also, Ninetails get Psyshock, that is very superior to Extrasensory. Psyshock allows you to go mixed, but still allow you to use your best Stat.
Loved the team! ")

Emeraldfan
26th April 2012, 8:31 PM
first of all, good luck with the game!

nice serprior,
nice kabutops,
nice ninetails
i would use volt switch on rotom to let you switch to better counters easier,
and u-turn on swallow to do the same.
i think i would hide zoroark as either rotom or kabutops to pick off the ghost and grass types who might be switched in for them.

Thanks for your advice, I'll probably use Volt Switch on Rotom. It's a somewhat powerful move, and useful at times as well.
As for U-Turn, I'll probably just breed Steel Wing on Swellow first, so that I can possibly change it later. I kinda want to know how much I'll actually be using the move.

You gonna Rate here too, Emerald? Be welcome! ^^
Huhn, let me see, since you are keep Fly on Sweelow, i would give him Leftovers, just for a free Leftovers Turn, if you can sure O.o
Also, Ninetails get Psyshock, that is very superior to Extrasensory. Psyshock allows you to go mixed, but still allow you to use your best Stat.
Loved the team! ")

I'm not all too sure on this, but I believe that you can only obtain one Leftovers, and since I've already decided to give Serperior that item, it's kinda impossible for me to give Swellow the same item.
As for Psyshock, I first had to check to see what that move actually did. Now, the idea of the move is nice, but most Poison and Fighting types, types I can hit for Super Effective damage with Extrasensory / Psyshock, generally have a higher Defence stat. So I'd actually deal less damage than if I'd been using Extrasensory. So I'll probably keep it. Thanks for the suggestion though!
And about rating, I'll probably won't do that. Yet. I do not yet understand all of Gen V's mechanics, such as was the case with Psyshock. Though I might be able to give somewhat okay rates, I'll probably be better off learning a bit more about this Generation before starting to rate.

davidchu
26th April 2012, 10:30 PM
I'm not all too sure on this, but I believe that you can only obtain one Leftovers, and since I've already decided to give Serperior that item, it's kinda impossible for me to give Swellow the same item.

In summer (or just turn the DS clock), go to Undella Town and trade a Cincinno for their Munchlax. The Munchlax will be holding Leftovers.
(Sorta the only reason ppl do that in-game trade except for pokedex)

Emeraldfan
29th April 2012, 7:00 PM
In summer (or just turn the DS clock), go to Undella Town and trade a Cincinno for their Munchlax. The Munchlax will be holding Leftovers.
(Sorta the only reason ppl do that in-game trade except for pokedex)

Another thing I did not know. I suppose rating here will have to wait a while...
Anyway, thanks for the advice, if I recall I once caught a Cincinno via the rustling grass, so that trade shouldn't be a problem. Just have to get to Undella town first. But before that, actually pick up the game again. I left it a few weeks ago, after having defeated N (a breeze) and Ghetsis (a breeze as well, Darmanitan lived through Hydreigon's Surf :) ).
Now, I'm in Nuvema town again, about to get my national dex.

Then, I'd like some advice about the optional moves and whether I should use Dark Pulse or Night Daze on Zoroark.

terrytorterra
3rd May 2012, 6:34 PM
For in-game purposes I think you'll find Pain Split and Steel Wing better as you won't be
needing to do many 'strategic' switches and there's really no momentum you need to keep
up so Volt Switch and U-turn become a little less useful.

As for Night Daze vs Dark Pulse, there's no one to hide him from, so Night Daze is more of an option vs if you use him competitively. But I dont think the extra 5 power is worth the 5% miss and 5 fewer PP. I'd go with Dark Pulse still.

Emeraldfan
4th May 2012, 2:07 PM
For in-game purposes I think you'll find Pain Split and Steel Wing better as you won't be
needing to do many 'strategic' switches and there's really no momentum you need to keep
up so Volt Switch and U-turn become a little less useful.

As for Night Daze vs Dark Pulse, there's no one to hide him from, so Night Daze is more of an option vs if you use him competitively. But I dont think the extra 5 power is worth the 5% miss and 5 fewer PP. I'd go with Dark Pulse still.

Thank you for the advice, I'll update the original post, so that you can now all see what I've decided so far.
And I'd like to mention that all advice is appreciated, whether it's already been given or might still come, thank you!

Arach
4th May 2012, 3:44 PM
I have for me zoroark night burst, flamethower, shadow ball , focus blast but that form you i like