PDA

View Full Version : My First B/W Team

Brigle Is Here
26th April 2012, 4:59 AM
All I can really say about this team is that it was the first team I made in a playthrough of White version. It's not bad. Since I've already completed the game story-line-wise, I just use this team for the rare casual battle with a friend. No theme here; just Pokemon I liked and that worked. None of my Pokemon are EV trained, and the Natures weren't important to me. Mostly move-sets and team synergy is what I have to look at here.

Samurott:503: Lv.69 @ Scope Lens
Torrent | Lax Nature - (+SpD/-Def)
-Waterfall (formerly Surf)
-Megahorn
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot (formerly Aqua Jet)
---
My starter, my ferry, and a nice mixed attacker. I really didn't think too hard about what item Samurott should hold, but it's not too bad. Aqua Jet's priority makes this Pokemon pretty handy.

Reuniclus:579: Lv. 69 @ Life Orb
Magic Guard | Docile Nature
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Recover
---
This guy is just great. I wanted Reuniclus as soon as I saw it on Serebii. Magic Guard and Recover make Reuniclus pretty hardy, and Life Orb makes him all the sweeter. This guy also has excellent coverage too.

Whimsicott:547: Lv. 87 @ Bright Powder
Prankster | Modest Nature - (+SpA/-Atk)
-Energy Ball (formerly U-Turn)
-Taunt
-Stun Spore
-Flash
---
Whimsicott was pretty handy when it came to catching Pokemon, and Prankster is a really cool ability, but competitively... this guy is lacking. With its Modest nature, it can't deal much damage at all with U-Turn. One thing I'd definitely keep the same about Whimsicott is its Stun Spore. I use that too often to go without.

Haxorus:612: Lv. 72 @ Dragon Fang
Mold Breaker | Quirky Nature
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-X-Scissor
-Dragon Dance (formerly Swords Dance)
---
I had no plans on getting this Pokemon; not until I saw it in a cave and just to have it on my team. Swords Dance is great, but I think I may regret not keeping Dragon Dance... Outrage just destroys everything, and Earthquake + Mold Breaker = killing Weezings and Gengars all day. And X-Scissor just because.

Scrafty:560: Lv. 72 @ Leftovers
Shed Skin | Careful Nature - (+SpD/-SpA)
-Hi Jump Kick
-Crunch
-Bulk Up
-Rest
---
Definitely my favorite 5th Gen Pokemon. I would have ran Drain Punch instead of Hi Jump Kick (though it destroys EVERYTHING), but I don't got time for that breeding business. Bulk Up is amazing, and Rest + Shed Skin makes for good times. Crunch is of course just another good stab move.

Golurk:623: Lv. 73 @ lol idunno
Iron Fist | Lonely Nature - (+Atk/-Def)
-Earthquake
-Hammer Arm
-Fly
-Shadow Punch
---
He's not TERRIBLE, just... a little disappointing. I really only got him for my love of the film The Iron Giant (and further than that, his name is Kal-El). No complaints in him being a ghost type, but even though he knows Earthquake, I choose Haxorus before I ever think of throwing out this guy. He's just too frail, and not quite fast enough.

Apart from using Pokemon I like, you can probably tell I didn't think too hard about whether these Pokemon worked well together. It's a little too late to add any new members, but a move-set overhaul may be in order.

Rate away!

chap196
26th April 2012, 7:33 AM
For Samurott
Use Grass Knot instead of Surf for more coverage, also you already have Aqua Jet for your Water type move and Life Orb instead of Scope Len for your held item because Life Orb will gain both Physical Attack and Special Attack.

Brigle Is Here
26th April 2012, 8:36 AM
Grass Knot would help against other water-types, I suppose. The only reason he even had Surf in the first place was for, well... Surfin'.

And you're right--Life Orb would be better. I just have to see about getting a second one.

Aurath8
26th April 2012, 6:37 PM
Find a Heart Scale and put Dragon Dance back on Haxorus. It's attack is colossal and you're using Outrage, one of the most powerful moves in the game. The extra speed is definitely worth it.

I think, if your using Grass Knot over anything you should use it over Aqua Jet. Surf is powerful and useful while Aqua Jet is too weak to be a main STAB move.

davidchu
26th April 2012, 10:58 PM
Since you "hate" Golurk that much, why not use a Chandelure?

Chandelure @Leftovers (get it in Undella Town by trading for the guy's Munchlax in summer)
Modest/Timid Nature (seriously it's ingame anything that doesn't lower spe.atk works)
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Energy Ball/Psychic
- Calm Mind

This set is because
1. You don't have a fire type on your team, which every team needs unless they're rain team
2. Another ghost type for the missing Golurk

Chandelure is crazy both ingame and in competitions
just watch out for stone edge
the ingame hax Sawk or Throh can easily KO a damaged Chandelure

Brigle Is Here
27th April 2012, 12:14 AM
Find a Heart Scale and put Dragon Dance back on Haxorus. It's attack is colossal and you're using Outrage, one of the most powerful moves in the game. The extra speed is definitely worth it.

I think, if your using Grass Knot over anything you should use it over Aqua Jet. Surf is powerful and useful while Aqua Jet is too weak to be a main STAB move.

Yeah. I definitely agree I need Dragon Dance back. Maybe you're right about Aqua Jet too; I'm feeling I'll miss the priority, though... Do you think I should keep Surf or should I change it for Scald or even Hydro Pump?

Since you "hate" Golurk that much, why not use a Chandelure?

Chandelure @Leftovers (get it in Undella Town by trading for the guy's Munchlax in summer)
Modest/Jolly Nature (seriously it's ingame anything that doesn't lower spe.atk works)
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Energy Ball/Psychic
- Calm Mind

This set is because
1. You don't have a fire type on your team, which every team needs unless they're rain team
2. Another ghost type for the missing Golurk

Chandelure is crazy both ingame and in competitions
just watch out for stone edge
the ingame hax Sawk or Throh can easily KO a damaged Chandelure

Jolly lowers Sp.Atk, but I don't think you meant to say that; probably meant Timid.
I don't "hate" Golurk, but yeah, Chandelure is pretty cool. Also, now that I think about it, my team really is lacking fire moves. I will consider this.

davidchu
27th April 2012, 12:52 AM
Oh yeah if you use Chandelure, you won't have a flyer anymore, so you might want to consider switching Haxorus for a Dragonite or Salamence.
Marvel Scale + Roost Dragonite
or
Moxie + Outrage Salamence
they both rock.

chap196
27th April 2012, 7:39 AM
For Samurott
Use Scald or Waterfall instead of Surf since Scald has 30% chance to burn and it only have 15 less base power. Waterfall if you want a Physical Attack move and may have chance to flinch your opponent, also using 2 Physical Attack move and 2 Special Attack move make Samurott a good Mix Attacker.

terrytorterra
27th April 2012, 8:08 AM
i just wanted to point out that go lurk isn't as frail as you make him out to be. 80/80/80 defenses is pretty respectable, though his slow speed oes make him more of a burden i guess.
chandelure like davidchu said, will be a great replacement.

Brigle Is Here
27th April 2012, 4:17 PM
Oh yeah if you use Chandelure, you won't have a flyer anymore, so you might want to consider switching Haxorus for a Dragonite or Salamence.
Marvel Scale + Roost Dragonite
or
Moxie + Outrage Salamence
they both rock.

I'm not in desperate need of a flyer on that team; I think I'll keep Haxorus.

For Samurott
Use Scald or Waterfall instead of Surf since Scald has 30% chance to burn and it only have 15 less base power. Waterfall if you want a Physical Attack move and may have chance to flinch your opponent, also using 2 Physical Attack move and 2 Special Attack move make Samurott a good Mix Attacker.

I like Waterfall. I think after hearing all of this about Samurott, a good move-set sounds like: Waterfall, Ice Beam, Megahorn, Grass Knot.

i just wanted to point out that go lurk isn't as frail as you make him out to be. 80/80/80 defenses is pretty respectable, though his slow speed oes make him more of a burden i guess.
chandelure like davidchu said, will be a great replacement.

Yeah, I guess I was exaggerating, but it's obvious I'm not very happy with him on my team. I've always admired Chandelure on the other hand.

Good suggestions coming my way--thanks, guys. Does anyone have any ideas about Whimsicott? What about teaching it Hurricane or Giga Drain, rather than U-Turn?

davidchu
27th April 2012, 9:12 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about Whimsicott? What about teaching it Hurricane or Giga Drain, rather than U-Turn?

Hurricane is crazy when the NPC uses it because of hax, and it always hurts my Volcarona real bad -.-
BUT
when YOU are using it, the miss will usually hurt Whimsicott really badly.
U-Turn is good, because Whimsicott just spreads status and runs.
Then again, with in-game, huge damage is always important, so STAB grass will be a consideration.

Brigle Is Here
27th April 2012, 9:46 PM
U-Turn seemed like a great idea--and it would be--but out of competitive play it's not terribly effective, especially when you consider how it asks you if you'd like to switch Pokemon. It looks like my best choice is Energy Ball.

davidchu
27th April 2012, 10:25 PM
How about switching Flash with Cotton Guard? (If you feel like training another one that is)
Flash isn't terribly useful ingame due to hax, and you kill opponents' pokemon too quickly for it to be required.
Cotton Guard would be great because Whimsicott is really fragile, if you look at its stats.

Brigle Is Here
27th April 2012, 10:36 PM
I could make another Whimsicott. That sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe one with: Stun Spore, Cotton Guard, Tickle(?), and... maybe Leech Seed. That sounds like it would pretty annoying for some unlucky fellow. Wait; do you think I would still need an attacking move?

davidchu
27th April 2012, 11:08 PM
I could make another Whimsicott. That sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe one with: Stun Spore, Cotton Guard, Tickle(?), and... maybe Leech Seed. That sounds like it would pretty annoying for some unlucky fellow. Wait; do you think I would still need an attacking move?

No tickle. As I said before, ingame opponents don't last long enough for you to need to use any opponent-stat-lowering moves.
No attacking move would be fine, because Whimsicott is a status pokemon. (THOUGH all my ingame pokemon were made for dealing mass damage)
Protect would be a move I believe most people would suggest with Leech Seed.
Just sayin'