PDA

View Full Version : Monkeys and dragons (BS singles RMT)

terrytorterra
28th April 2012, 6:54 AM
So... it seems my previous post didn't attract a lot of attention, not sure why...

but here is my most recent attempt at making a subway-friendly team

Infernape @ Life Orb
Jolly
Blaze
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn
-Flare Blitz
.:. I changed it to a full physical version, and it's worked well. gets more kills this way, and since Stone Edge does't give me any additional coverage I don't already get with the other 3 attacks, I changed it to Thunder Punch to get the same and more. Kept U-turn cuz I found myself having to switch out on things, and getting to damage while I run is nice especially on bulky psychic types.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Adamant
Clear Body
54 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
.:. Also made some major changes to Metagross, turning him into an agility set, which has worked ok as well. It seems to lack a lot of power though, and I'm not sure why yet... Maybe some mistake during EV training. Anyways, Meteor Mash now that I will be able to move first more often, and the EVs are shuffled.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Multiscale
252 HP / 44 atk / 212 Spe
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
.:. Generally comes in after something's been KO'd so using Outrage is normally not a problem. Lum Berry lets me take a free turn to set up if the opponent thinks it can stop me with a status move. so at least +1 DD most of the time.
Fire-Draco is unresisted save by heatran, which doesn't appear in the subway.

what do you guys think?

the latest problem i had was with a steelix who had set up curse and my dragonite was down... I finally KO'd it with a crit EQ, but it left my metagross wide open for a flamethrower from a magmortar, who then killed my weakened infernape

@edit: Now I find myself stuck against bulky waters, which can only be taken out effectively by D-nite. I think I should switch Metagross out for Ferro. Anyone support?
Steelix-Magmortar

[GS]
28th April 2012, 8:05 AM
Not bad, from the looks of it you should be able to at least beat Ingo.

What do those 48 EV's in SpA do for Ape, I'd suggest just kicking them back to Atk unless you're hitting something specific. Maybe consider ThunderPunch>U-Turn, you could have a big problem with water types carrying an ice attack, so this could help. If Ape seems to frail you could always go with Focus Sash>LO.

I'm not sure Tricking a Toxic Orb is the best way to go, something like an Iron Ball or Lagging Tail could help you deal with anything faster than Draggy so you can set up a DD more reliably.

Hope this helps.

chap196
28th April 2012, 9:39 AM
For Infernape
Use Flare Blitz instead of Overheat because it has only 20 base power less and Overheat will lower your Special Attack, so if you use Overheat for a second time Overheat base power will become about 70. If you still want a Special Fire type move, then I recommend Flamethrower or Fire Blast, so you will not lower your Special Attack. Thunder Punch instead of U-Turn like what Shuckle suggest because Thunder Punch give more coverage and you don't really need to change your Pokemon with U-Turn much.

For Dragonite
Use Dragon Claw instead of Outrage, so you can use Roost at any time after you use Dragon Claw instead of waiting for 2 or 3 turns to finish using Outrage. If you choose to use Dragon claw then you need to use Life Orb instead of Lum Berry.

For Metagross
This is just a suggestion, Use Zen Headbutt instead of Trick for a good STAB move and more coverage, also Metagross is not the best trick Pokemon. If you use Zen Headbutt instead of Trick then you need to change your item to Leftover. If you are still using Trick then I think Toxic Orb is not a very good Trick item because you can just use Toxic instead, so you don't need to lose Item slot. Item that I recommend if you want to use Trick is Flame Orb to burn your opponent Pokemon, also Metagross don't have a move that can burn your
Pokemon, Iron Ball or Lagging Tail like what Shuckle suggest because Lagging Tail will make your opponent move last and Iron Ball to make Flying Pokemon drop into the Ground, also it lower your opponent Pokemon speed by 50%.

Nice Team Terrytorterra
Good Luck

terrytorterra
28th April 2012, 4:42 PM
Thanks both of you,

I had U-turn also to cover psychic types that I sometimes can't handle, but I'll try the Thunderpunch so see what happens.
And similarly, the toxic orb was usually used against opponent walls who have lefties most of the time, so I could poison them and give myself recovery at the same time. But I'm trying an agility set right now.

@chap:
I do have another all physical Infernape I could try out. thanks for the suggestion
Outrage however almost always kills something on the first turn, allowing me to outrage the next pokemon. and like I said, Nite usually gets to come in after Ape or Metagross kills something, and so getting locked for 2 turns isn't too big a deal for me, as long as I kill the first one and have another Pokemon in reserve.
I wouldn't stick flame orb on metagross... if I end up having to use, say, bullet punch to pick them off, then I'm screwed from the burn... I think Ima go with Iron Ball if anything. thanks though

terrytorterra
29th April 2012, 5:55 AM
made some major changes to the OP.