PDA

View Full Version : Great Story Idea

dunceman55%
20th May 2012, 6:31 PM
I am a terrible writer, but I have a good story idea if anyone else wants to write it. It would be a story about a double battle tournament and each pair would consist of one boy and one girl, not all of them have to be shipped. It would be about the battles and what happens during everybody's free time, etc. There could be ContestShipping, GracefulShipping, etc. I feel like this story could be taken in a lot of different directions, lots of opportunities for ships, and lots of battles. I drew up a sample tournament consisting of my favorite ships that I've seen on fanfiction.net, but obviously whoever writes it is free to adjust them.

http://challonge.com/pairs

JX Valentine
20th May 2012, 8:35 PM
I don't know. There's not really a story here. I mean, okay, it's a tournament. What's the prize? What are the risks? Why is this tournament unique? (Double battles don't necessarily make the tournament itself unique.) What kind of incentive is there for each character to participate (especially given that some of the ones you've suggested are Elite Four members)?

And even then, just having a tournament and showing what each character does in the background (a la reality show) doesn't necessarily make for an interesting fic. There's just not that much plot there. What's the main conflict, for example? (But this question can largely be answered by the other ones I've mentioned.)

Besides that, I feel like there's been a lot of tournament fics, particularly on FFNet. In fact, most submit-your-own-OC fics tend to be tournament-based. While that doesn't necessarily mean it can't work, that still means you've got a lot of competition. So, you've got to organize your thoughts and come up with a reason why this particular tournament is going to be more exciting than the ones other people write about. Of course, some people eat up fics like that either way, but it certainly helps to differentiate between you and everyone else.

Short of it is, it's a bit vague. It's a concept, really, but there's a lot more that would need to be thought about before it becomes a particularly great story idea, bluntly put. (I'm just saying that in case anyone does want to mull it over.) Besides, if you're trying to request a fic, a lot of people tend to be busy with their own ideas, so I'm not sure if anyone will take you up on the offer, considering this would most likely be a long fic. That's probably why the actual place where you submit ideas for other people to write (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?392919-Fan-Fic-Idea-Adoption) doesn't get that much action.

irock245
20th May 2012, 8:45 PM
Ok, you have an idea. Talk about it in the right section. Don't make a soon to be closed thread about your idea, that won't help.

bobandbill
21st May 2012, 1:36 AM
As stated, if you want to share ideas use the thread JX Valentine linked to, but I would suggest expanding on it as mentioned above - a tournament is all well and good but beyond that there's little for one to go on. And if you want to write it, try the Fic Ideas thread at the top of the main section.

Anyways, wrong place so going to closed.