PDA

View Full Version : Keepin' it on the Ground: Ground Monotype run

terrytorterra
26th May 2012, 8:32 AM
Heya guys, it’s me again. This time I’m doing a Ground Monotype run in Black back-up by my White game, so pretty much any item and moves. However, I didn’t bother to breed for nature, so those won’e be taken into account here. The members of the team are set in stone and wont be changing, but you’re welcome to suggest any item or move that isn’t from 4th gen.

Flygon @ Leftovers
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
.:. Unfortunately, Dragon Pulse is a 4th gen move, and so I can’t teach it to the Flygon I will have. However, this guy can still function as a hit and run with a powerful STAB Draco Meteor, able to still put the hurt on a lot, as well as use STAB Earth Power and Flamethrower to kill Ice types. Fly would be used over U-turn when I’m still in the progression of the game, pre-E4.

Whiscash @ Leftovers
Hydration
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide
.:. Yeah, DW Whiscash outside of Rain, kinda a sad story. But I used it because I didn't feel like breeding for a non-DW one. Anyways, Dragon Dance is always nice, and since it’s running without rain for the most part, there’s really no need for Rest since I would sleeping like everyone else. Earthquake and Waterfall for STAB and Waterfall > Aqua Tail for accuracy and in-game purposes. Rock Slide also for accuracy.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Static
???
- Thunderbolt
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Earth Power
.:. My primary status inducer, should I ever need one. Hopefully I can get one with Limber so I’m immune to paralysis myself, while dealing it with T-wave and poisoning with Toxic. Thunderbolt for STAB and Surf to get those Ground types that resist as well as in-game, duh.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
192 HP / 252 Def / 60 Spe
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- X-scissor
.:. Earthquake STAB and X-Scissor cover each other pretty well, XS taking on the Grass types and levitators who are often psychic type. Sub because I can heal it off easily with Poison Heal and Swords Dance to boost my attack since I have no investment in it ATM.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Arena Trap
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Aerial Ace
.:. Honestly I don’t know what do say about this guy. In competitive he might be great, but since I didn’t give him Stealth Rocks he really doesn't do much for the team… Fast revenge killer I guess, but that’s about it. I was considering changing him to Choice Banded with Night Slash instead of Sucker Punch, which might work better…

Donphan @ ???
???
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Strength
- Rock Polish
.:. Uhh… I dunno why I chose this guy from 2nd gen, but he’s here and he’s here to stay. Anyways, once again, no Rocks unfortunately so I’ll just have to use him as a RP Sweeper. STAB EQ will hit really hard considering the hefty 120 Base Attack. Stone Edge for coverage, and Strength just to get neutral on everything else. And In-game…

totally unsure of the EVs i should have on Stunfisk since it's so obscure... and never used Donphan before so Im really unfamiliar with it. Definitely need some help there.
No changes to the Pokemon specifically, but moves and items can be suggested again.

chap196
26th May 2012, 12:36 PM
Stunfisk
Item Leftover
Nature Calm
Ability Static
Move Set
Thunderbolt
Earth Power
Scald
Hidden Power Ice/Thunder Wave/Toxic
Static is a lot better than Limber because not many move can Paralyze and Stunfisk is a Ground and Electric Type Pokemon which mean only some move can Paralyze Stunfisk
Thunderbolt for a powerful STAB move, also it can paralyze your opponent Pokemon
Earth Power for another great STAB move, but you need to breed with Corsola or Magcargo
Scald is better than Surf because it only has 15 less base power than Surf and Scald has 30% chance to burn your opponent Pokemon
Hidden Power Ice for more coverage, Thunder Wave to Paralyze your opponent Pokemon or Toxic to Badly Poison your opponent Pokemon

You can use my move set, but your set is fine too, if you still want to use your move set, make sure that you use Scald instead of Surf and Protect instead Thunder Wave to make a better Toxic-Staller.

Hope this help

Aurath8
26th May 2012, 12:40 PM
A special Flygon? Interesting... I'd like to suggest a physical Flygon thanks to it's superior Attack, though at the same time I'd like to see whether this could work. I also suggest Fire Blast over Flamethrower for moar power.

Limber isn't needed on Stunfisk as the two most common forms of Paralysis are from Thunder Wave(which you're immune to) and Static(and you don't have any contact moves). I'd use a 252 HP/128 Spatk/128 Def EV Spread. i would use Earth Power over Surf: you're not very powerful and you might as well just pack in some STABs to deal as much damage as possible. The EVs keep you bulky, increase your lesser Def stat while still giving a bit more omph should you need to attack.

Facade > X-scissor on Gliscor. Since you're perpetually poisoned you'll always have a nice 140 BP move to call on. Also you're only resisted by Skarm, Bronzong, Levitating Ghosts and Aerodactyl.

Stone Edge > Shadow Claw on Dugtrio. Shadow Claw has essentially the same coverage as Sucker Punch anyway.

terrytorterra
27th May 2012, 3:25 AM
Yeah I don't know why I put Shadow Claw on there with Sucker Punch... silly me.
Forgot about Facade, which sounds like the better option. Thanks for reminding me

and I'll go ahead and breed for Earth Power on Stunfisk then instead of catching it in the wild, thanks ^^

Aura Sensei™
27th May 2012, 11:10 PM
Good team, just a few changes could be done.

Flygon @Life Orb
Naive l Levitate
252 Atk. l 252 Speed l 4 HP
• Dragon Claw
• Flamethrower / Fire Blast
• Earthquake
• Rock Slide

Really Flygon is frail so I would leave it in to sweep the best it can ;)

terrytorterra
28th May 2012, 1:46 AM
Are you sure about the jolly nature and special moves?
I'll try Naive, but Jolly seems a little odd.

Aura Sensei™
28th May 2012, 10:27 PM
Typo,I'll edit that lol

Gliscor @Toxic Orb
252 Atk. l 178 HP l 74 Speed
Adamant l Poison Heal
• Earthquake
• Swords Dance
• Substitute / Taunt / Roost
• Ice Fang

It's really your choice if you want a stalling Gliscor or more of a sweeper.

terrytorterra
28th May 2012, 10:51 PM
unfortunately roost is illegal with poison heal, otherwise Gliscor would easily be one of the best tanks ever.
i could use sub though, thanks ^^

Aura Sensei™
28th May 2012, 11:07 PM
No problem ^^

Dugtrio @Choice Band
Jolly l Arena Trap
252 Atk. l 178 Speed l 74 HP
• Earthquake
• Shadow Claw
• Rock Slide
• Aerial Ace

Shadow Claw>Sucker Punch since Dugtrio will be outspeeding nearly everything,and sometimes the foe dosen't use an attacking move ;)