PDA

View Full Version : Annoyers Fail in a Competitive Enviroment

Netbattle
17th March 2005, 7:22 PM
Pokemon lesson; 'Annoyers'

Typical 'Annoyer' moves

Evasion [Double Team]
Paralyzing move [Thunder Wave] (This is still a really good move)
Confusing move [Confuse Ray]
Random Non-Damaging/Stat Upping Move [Attract/Rest]

You will have noticed that none of these moves do direct damage and only one does indirect damage, Pokemon is a game where you try to Faint/KO your opponents six Pokemon, so using pokemon like these is pointless, as you do next to no damage, and Pokemon with Leftovers recieve very little damage after hurting themselves by confusing. Now the type of thing that walk all over annoyers;

Haze/Roar/Whirlwind/Luck/Ground Pokemon with the same gender as the 'Annoyer'/Own tempo pokemon [Spoink]/Substitute/Taunt/Switching Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Natual Cure

Tyranitar@Leftovers
-Adamant-252Atk/252Spd/6Hp
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Taunt

This thing taunts your 'annoyer' leaving you only with struggle, so it then Taunt + Dragon Dances until its ready to Sweep your whole team easily [Exceptions being Max Atk CB Earthquake Claydol, which is lol and not used]

So you say what can do an 'annoyers' job.

Well Stallers can, so can Special/Physical sponges and tanks somewhat, they can stall your opponent and possibly infuriate them by using some of those moves, namely, Confuse Ray/Rest/Thunder Wave

Suicune@Leftovers
-Bold- 252/240Hp / Some Satk/Sdef/Def/Spd
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Roar/Sleep Talk/Ice Beam
-Surf

Blissey@Leftovers
-Bold- 252Def / 252HP / 6Sdef
-Aromatherapy
-Seismic Toss
-Softboiled
-Thunder Wave

Both OU and Standard yes, but they work as a tank (Suicune) and a special wall/support pokemon (Aroma/Bell Bliss), not annoyers, Suicune; it Calm minds a few times making Electric and Grass weaknesses less of a weakness [exception Sceptile Leaf Blade, because of Critical Hit Rate], pressure also drains the opponents PP making them unable to KO you, rest also stops your Suicune fainting from repetitive Attacks, plus Surf/Ice Beam enables you to attack with boosted Satk, and like all pokemon it has counters; Water Absorbers, Venusaur/Ludicolo for the non Sleep Talking version.
Blissey; the most OU and claused pokemon, note, it has thunder wave, the 'annoyer' move, but it attacks and stalls special sweepers, while using Softbolied to recover lost HP, Aroma helps the whole team by removing status effects, plus natural cure enables it to stay status free, while seismic toss gives it a 100 damage attack move. yes it has counters, namely CB Fighters [Medicham], Jirachi can take it too.

Also on a side note most 'annoyers' have other and definatly better uses;

'Annoyer'

Lanturn@Leftovers
-Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave
-Toxic/Thunder Wave
-Rest/Attract
-Double Team

Switching out negates Confuse Ray/Toxic's special poison effect/attract, then aromatherapy/heal bell will get rid of Poison/Para status, Taunt will make you struggle to death, while Haze/Roar stops Double Team, also while resting your asking a EQer to come in and rip you apart

'Standard'

Lanturn@leftovers
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave

Note, it has thunder wave [TW], because TW is a useful move if used on the right pokemon and at the right time. Now then Surf/Thunderbolt recieve STAB [Same Type Attack Boost] which makes the Atk 1.5 times more powerful due to Lanturn's Water/Electric typing. Surf/Ice Beam stops Earthquakers switching in due to the fact that they will take a lot of damage, i.e. [Salamence/Donphan], thunderbolt hurts other electrics and this definatly KOs opponents pokemon faster then the above, don't you think?

In a nutshell, every 'annoyer' that has been made has one or more different uses that work a lot better and definatly make the game of Pokemon more fun, if you want something close to an annoyer, please use a staller as they can actually do something to help you win a battle, not just waste time and Battery life [in a GBA]

Groudon80
18th March 2005, 2:03 AM
I completely agree. Annoyers phayle at lyphe. Most don't even do damage indirectly, so my question is this:

If even the pokemon's moves must all be delicately chosen, why are you going to waste a whole pokemon on something that hardly does anything, except make your opponent mad?

leafgreen386
18th March 2005, 2:33 AM
Why would it make me mad? "Annoyers" are usually weak and it's a free KO for me. I'd say that would make me pretty happy. Or if they don't have Haze, I'd Dragon Dance a few times with Salmence then sweep their whole team.

hahaha
18th March 2005, 3:42 AM
eh...depends on what you consider to be an "annoyer"
ludicolo can be classified as an annoyer, yet it rocks

leafgreen386
18th March 2005, 3:51 AM
Ludicolo is a staller. It has good Sp.Def and 3 weaknesses and MOST IMPORTANTLY it can attack with Dive.

WitchKing_Ringwraith
18th March 2005, 6:51 AM
Ludicolo is a staller. It has good Sp.Def and 3 weaknesses and MOST IMPORTANTLY it can attack with Dive.

Lol, dive is asking for a switch. -.- And Dive < Surf anyway.

klducks
18th March 2005, 7:41 AM
Pokemon lesson; 'Annoyers'

Typical 'Annoyer' moves

Evasion [Double Team]
Paralyzing move [Thunder Wave]
Confusing move [Confuse Ray]
Random Non-Damaging/Stat Upping Move [Attract/Rest]
yes, thunder wave is an "annoying" move, but i dont think it should be beated so down...

maybe because of the chance of being fully paralyzed might be beated down for classifying as "annoying" but halfing your opponents pokes speed is very awsome tyvm

leafgreen386
18th March 2005, 2:59 PM
Lol, dive is asking for a switch. -.- And Dive < Surf anyway.
This is basiscally the staller Ludicolo:
Ludicolo@Leftovers Rain Dish
Toxic
Leech Seed
Dive
Protect/Rain Dance

What good does Surf do on a pokemon that is meant to retain as little damage as possible? Of course it is a bad set for competitive play, because your opponent would just send in their Salamence and Dragon Dance a few times then sweep the whole team. It could work to some extent if you batton pass mean look and some defense/Sp.defense to Ludicolo, though.

Hey Micky!
18th March 2005, 3:25 PM
This is basiscally the staller Ludicolo:
Ludicolo@Leftovers Rain Dish
Toxic
Leech Seed
Dive
Protect/Rain Dance

What good does Surf do on a pokemon that is meant to retain as little damage as possible? Of course it is a bad set for competitive play, because your opponent would just send in their Salamence and Dragon Dance a few times then sweep the whole team.

1stly, Surf does plenty of good since you want to KO your opponents, and Surf + STAB + potentional Rain Dance = KOs.

Also, this guide is meant for competitive play. I only kept it here due to so many singles sets are here, many of which are along the lines of "My annoyer idea".

*Edits title to "Annoyers Fail in a Competitive Enviroment"

It could work to some extent if you batton pass mean look and some defense/Sp.defense to Ludicolo, though.

Alot of people make that arguement for "annoyers", but think about it. That means:

A) Using Umbreon to trap the opponent, and that's assuming they don't switch to something that'll simply stat up infront of it.
B) Baton passing the mean look to Ludicolo.
C) Setting up all those things.

That's two turns spent getting to Ludi followed by about 3 turns spent setting up all those moves, in total abotu 5 turns. How often will your opponent let you get away with that...?

Also, non-Dive Ludi doesn't automatically fear 'mence since plenty of Ludicolo's carry Ice Beam in place of where Toxic is on your MS. Toxic may seem like a good idea but at the rate ppl switch, its effectiveness will wear off. At least leech Seed returns HP and inflicts some damage (and has a pseudo-negate-leftovers effect)...

leafgreen386
18th March 2005, 5:26 PM
Who said that I actually used that set? Did you ever wonder why I said "to some extent"? Because staller Ludicolo is meant for fun battles with your friends not deathmatches. Really, staller Ludicolo's only real purpose is for the AI which doesn't even know how to switch. The Ludicolo I have has Surf and Ice Beam and basically is much more reliable than the staller.

Cromat
18th March 2005, 6:47 PM
why do some people think that losing is fun

Jshadias
18th March 2005, 8:40 PM
This thread is misleading... Classifying any move as an "annoyer" move is stupid; Double Team is ****ing banned while Thunder Wave and Rest are both very common and useful moves. "Stallers" are just as stupid as annoyers, in fact they work off the same concept, except annoyers require luck to avoid damage. You've mislabeled Suicune and Blissey as "stallers"... Suicune is clearly a tank, while Blissey is a wall and support Pokemon which is quite different from a simple staller (when the hell did a staller role get invented anyways, wtf)

WitchKing_Ringwraith
19th March 2005, 12:35 AM
Who said that I actually used that set? Did you ever wonder why I said "to some extent"? Because staller Ludicolo is meant for fun battles with your friends not deathmatches.

We're talking about annoyers in a competitive environment? :/
Annoyers In-game suck btw. AI doesn't get ****ed off at confusion and DT.

Slack King
19th March 2005, 1:20 AM
Dunsparce @ Lefties
Serene Grace
I really forget, i think 252 HP some attack and speed.
Adamant (duh)
Headbutt
Thunderwave
Rock Slide
Shadow Ball?

Its on my team. I guess you couldn't classify it as a physical sweeper LOL annoyer..

klducks
19th March 2005, 3:26 AM
Dunsparce @ Lefties
Serene Grace
I really forget, i think 252 HP some attack and speed.
Adamant (duh)
Headbutt
Thunderwave
Rock Slide
Shadow Ball?

Its on my team. I guess you couldn't classify it as a physical sweeper LOL annoyer..
id prefer anciet power > rock slide for ap boosts

and what else can dunsprace do? =\

cb?

Groudon80
19th March 2005, 3:46 AM
lol I had dunsparce for a while...yup I trained it to level 15. lol 70 attack=bad sweeper

Slack King
19th March 2005, 3:46 PM
Rock Slide + Headbutt flinches. Thunder Wave decreases the chance of attacking even more. It's not an "annoyer" but all it does is annoy.

HoundoomTrainer
19th March 2005, 4:57 PM
YOU ALL SUCK I AM THE MASTER OF NETBATTLE

Wow ok anyway... I was going to address the problem with saying Blissey and Suicune are Stallers but J already got it. >_>

leafgreen386
19th March 2005, 6:52 PM
I can't say that a 60% chance of flinch is that bad if I'm faster, but the halved speed from T-wave could allow you to go first. Eventually I would get to attack and wipe out poor little Dunsparce in one hit, though, anyway.

Originally posted by Darklord_Sauron:
Annoyers In-game suck btw. AI doesn't get ****ed off at confusion and DT.
True, but it is fun watching them flail hopelessly missing. In game is about winning battles fast so you can move on, so I wouldn't use one.

BTW, Slack King, I'm no mod, but don't double post. Use the edit button instead.

GonbeTR
19th March 2005, 7:58 PM
Umbreon isn't an annoyer with toxic + confuse ray + mean look ? I think Umbreon is an awesome pokemon but I don't know is it an annoyer or toxicostaller ? Umbreon works very well.

Jshadias
19th March 2005, 8:28 PM
Paralysis quarters speed, not halves. Dunsparce doesn't have bad defenses, and it can get 404 HP.

Umbreon isn't an annoyer with toxic + confuse ray + mean look ? I think Umbreon is an awesome pokemon but I don't know is it an annoyer or toxicostaller ? Umbreon works very well.

Umbreon is crap with that set. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it's any good, as it still won't work against good, competitive players.

MOD EDIT: DONT DOUBLE POST =D

Slack King
19th March 2005, 8:33 PM

Wow ok anyway... I was going to address the problem with saying Blissey and Suicune are Stallers but J already got it. >_>

Yeah, my sig is sortof poking fun at myself.

Seeing as my team is like the worst.

GonbeTR
19th March 2005, 8:37 PM
Umbreon is crap with that set. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it's any good, as it still won't work against good, competitive players.

But, at Competitive Moveset guide, it is written that Umbreon's best moveset is

Umbreon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 129 Defense, 129 Special Defense
Nature: Bold/Impish/Calm/Careful; Synchronize
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass/Toxic/Confuse Ra
- Toxic/Confuse Ray
- Rest/Moonlight/Wish

And I tried it, it really work very well in Battle Tower.

Jshadias
19th March 2005, 8:50 PM
IMO the competitive movesets guide isn't that great, as evidenced by this set (use Smogon's anyways, it's easily the best.)

It may work in the battle tower, but it won't work against skilled humans.

HoundoomTrainer
19th March 2005, 9:47 PM
IMO the competitive movesets guide isn't that great, as evidenced by this set (use Smogon's anyways, it's easily the best.)

It may work in the battle tower, but it won't work against skilled humans.

The guide is a framework guide, not in-depth like Smogon is.

Groudon80
19th March 2005, 9:57 PM
Dude, if you haven't noticed, battle tower pokemon usually have 4 random crappy moves.

and I meant BASE 70 attack

Slack King
19th March 2005, 10:08 PM
Dude, if you haven't noticed, battle tower pokemon usually have 4 random crappy moves.

and I meant BASE 70 attack

oh kk gotcha

leafgreen386
19th March 2005, 10:11 PM
Paralysis quarters speed, not halves.
Heh, I guess that wasn't a very accurate guide I read when I began playing pokemon.

klducks
19th March 2005, 10:24 PM
Paralysis quarters speed, not halves.
my bad... but further proves my point

Cipher Admin Anti-Shipping
20th March 2005, 7:24 AM

Funny, how you were one of the guys who helped write it.

Jshadias
20th March 2005, 6:41 PM

exactly, "framework" guides suck by default

20th March 2005, 8:06 PM
Mind you i think some of them are out of date

Horn Drill
20th March 2005, 9:21 PM
Mind you i think some of them are out of date

Maybe we need a current Metagame news-crew. =/

Netbattle should get an award for making this thread, and WITW should get one for forever nailing it to the halls of RMT for all the noobz to see.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we get on the topic of "stallers".

21st March 2005, 12:35 AM
Stallers are pretty pointless, they hold up the battle

i think their most effective way of winning a fight is to bore the other person so they forfeit

Jshadias
21st March 2005, 6:20 AM
Maybe we need a current Metagame news-crew. =/

Netbattle should get an award for making this thread, and WITW should get one for forever nailing it to the halls of RMT for all the noobz to see.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we get on the topic of "stallers".

this thread is misleading as pointed out earlier and I already addressed the topic of stallers ^_^

Cromat
21st March 2005, 5:30 PM
Stallers are pretty pointless, they hold up the battle

i think their most effective way of winning a fight is to bore the other person so they forfeit

umm suicune and blissey are not useless

21st March 2005, 6:59 PM
They're not either..

i classify them as tanks, and its a different thing

stallers are pokes who just hold up the battle, which in this case i mean in the same class as annoyers

tanks are different

Jshadias
21st March 2005, 7:08 PM
suicune is a tank while blissey is a wall/support pokemon

Groudon80
21st March 2005, 9:12 PM
Kinda like wobbufet. I mean, a fight between two wobuffets max HP, defense, holding lefties, and have double team. Wow, that fight would last until the gameboy batteries died.

Ice Rabbit
21st March 2005, 10:44 PM
Kinda like wobbufet. I mean, a fight between two wobuffets max HP, defense, holding lefties, and have double team. Wow, that fight would last until the gameboy batteries died.
Double Team is ****ing gay and it won't end anyways with Leftovers.

Horn Drill
21st March 2005, 11:15 PM
this thread is misleading as pointed out earlier and I already addressed the topic of stallers ^_^

Oh, yes. I remember that now. Tanks can stall, but they can do other stuff, like actually win Battles. Like the time I had to go head to head with a Groudon using Solrock! :o I actually won. Given, the Groudon didn't have Brick Break, but at least I didn't hafta explode.

leafgreen386
21st March 2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Groudon80:
About double team: How does Wobbufet learn that again? Last time I checked, Wobbufet's complete movepool consisted of Spash, Charm, Encore, Counter, Mirror Coat, Safeguard, and Destiny Bond. Reguardless, Struggle wouldn't do enough damage to overcome Leftovers.

The Requiem
22nd March 2005, 2:29 PM
Even if you could get DT on a Wobuffet, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? There is no point to raising the evasion on a pokemon that deals damage by TAKING it..

22nd March 2005, 9:03 PM
Yes, Orochi Breakwing makes the best point here

if you can't take any damage, you can't return it on them

leafgreen386
22nd March 2005, 9:10 PM
So now we have to congratulate everyone who is smart enough to realise how Wobbufet does damage?

Aaron
22nd March 2005, 9:38 PM
So now we have to congratulate everyone who is smart enough to realise how Wobbufet does damage?

the noobs have to be taught =/

klducks
23rd March 2005, 3:17 AM
im glad i didnt get that for my birthday present *wipes my sweat off my forehead*

(*points @ cta's sig*)

23rd March 2005, 3:58 AM
oh man i totally understand thats horrifying...

Horn Drill
24th March 2005, 11:04 PM
oh man i totally understand thats horrifying...

What, the dancing glutton or not understanding Wobbuffet?

Aaron
24th March 2005, 11:18 PM
What, the dancing glutton or not understanding Wobbuffet?

lol, both

Shiloh Phoenix
25th March 2005, 2:44 AM
stallers/sponges do an amazing job. One guy I know has a blissey like this:

blissey@leftovers
all the way in atk/sp def.
softboiled
eggbomb
leech seed
toxic

most annoying thing EVER. total special sponge.

leafgreen386
25th March 2005, 2:55 AM
coughcoughYourfriend'sacheatercough
coughcoughBlissycan'tlearnLeechSeedcoughcoughcough

Sorry about that. I had something in my throat. Anyway, Blissy also serves the purpose of cleric, not just a special sponge. ^And something's suspicious about the Blissy you have posted^

WitchKing_Ringwraith
25th March 2005, 11:39 AM
Lol. Blissey with evs in Special Defense is overkill. Blissey should have Seismic Toss, not Egg Bomb. The idea of an physical attacking Blissey sickens me.

Leafgreen386 is right, there's something in your Blissey's moveset that isn't right, but I cant quite put my finger on it... :rolleyes:

Ham
25th March 2005, 3:32 PM
coughcoughYourfriend'sacheatercough
coughcoughBlissycan'tlearnLeechSeedcoughcoughcough

Sorry about that. I had something in my throat. Anyway, Blissy also serves the purpose of cleric, not just a special sponge. ^And something's suspicious about the Blissy you have posted^

Cleric/TW distrabuter/Zam's hated foe.

THAT'S what bliss does.

PH33R the 130 attack stat!

26th March 2005, 10:40 PM
stallers/sponges do an amazing job. One guy I know has a blissey like this:

blissey@leftovers
all the way in atk/sp def.
softboiled
eggbomb
leech seed
toxic

most annoying thing EVER. total special sponge.

Wtf...

except for softboiled i wouldnt put any of those moves on bliss

ATK AND SP DEF???

please kill

MetalMario
27th March 2005, 1:59 AM
Leech seed+High HP = no go. Leech seed works best with the balance leaning towards defenses. (ie. more defenses/less HP gives higher % recovery with the same vulnerability to conventional moves (excluding S. Toss, etc.)) Not to mention that it's not a legitimate move for Bliss. I can almost understand Toxic combined with Bliss's stall capabilities, but Egg Bomb? Why? (aside from novelty/theme, which != competitive)

DarkWobbuffet
31st March 2005, 8:07 AM
First things first, Aaron, thank you so much for the nightmare fuel. ><

Now about annoyers, I think they can work to a degree, but I think the trick is to not make them JUST annoyers. I battled an Umbreon in Colosseum that had Mean Look, Screech, Confuse Ray and Double Team.

...yeah...

After one Taunt by my Gardevoir, that Umbreon was totally incapable of fighting outside of Struggle, and Esmerelda (my Gardevoir) KOed him without much effort.

Now here's my annoyer Jolteon, named Speedy...

Jolteon
Item: King's Rock
~Thunderbolt
~Attract
~Thunder Wave
~Bite

Now for the most part Speedy uses Thunderbolt for battle, but when things get tough I turn to the annoyer combo. I use Thunder Wave, then Attact (if it can be used) then just Bite the foe to death. T-wave reduces their chance to attack by 1/4, Attact reduces it by 1/2, and King's Rock powered Bite reduces it to around the point where it only has a 12% chance of attacking.

So what I'm getting at is annoyers CAN be used, but if it's the only thing they can do they should just call it quits, thank you.

Jshadias
31st March 2005, 8:20 AM
King's Rock does not increase Bite's chance to flinch... or any move on that set. You'd be better off having no item at all.

While you're busy using Thunder Wave and Attract, you die in a hit or two. Not to mention you really can't stay in on anything with a ground move, so ground-types force this set to switch out every time... in the meantime you do next to nothing with the tiny power of a Bite on the switch, while Jolteon has poor defenses and no recovery at all and dies after a couple switches. That set is completely destroyed by a ground-type or anything that can take a special hit at all, which every decent team has.

DarkWobbuffet
31st March 2005, 8:55 AM
King's Rock does not increase Bite's chance to flinch... or any move on that set. You'd be better off having no item at all..

You're kidding me, either other people have been lying to me about King's Rock's useage or they changed it since G/S/C...

Well ouch, after reading your post I feel kinda stupid posting that... I seriously need to reconsider Speedy's moveset... *sigh* -_-

Jshadias
1st April 2005, 3:24 AM
I'm 99% sure it worked that same way in GSC...

Groudon80
1st April 2005, 5:35 AM
Jeez, I musta been drinking too much imorted russian crap when I typed that...

Kings rock increases flinching for physical moves with no side effects ONLY.

chaos on the internet
2nd April 2005, 12:10 AM
This topic is trash but i'd just like to say

Thunder Wave is an awesome move.

When I think of annoyers, I think of that trash set Umbreon

Mean Look
Toxic
Confuse Ray
Moonlight

which seems to be so UTTERLY common here. That set doesn't work at all.

James
2nd April 2005, 6:50 AM
I haven't had much success with annoyers myself. In battles against real people outside of the internet, a lot of opponents will only use offensive moves. By the time you have confused and burned a foe, your pokemon will be a move or so away from being KO'ed.

I think it is better to just have one or two annoying moves on other pokemon.

I taught Toxic and Protect to my Kingdra which I hadn't trained properly. I had been using it as a sweeper with Surf and Ice Beam. It soon became capable of bringing down Kyogres and stuff with Toxic/Protect, which I thought was neat for battles against real people where most opponents will use legendaries.

shadowing
3rd April 2005, 4:13 AM
I agree. Annoyers don't really help in winning a battle. They just annoy and do nothing. They're pretty much easy to counter.

Overall, I'd rather have stallers, or sweepers.

Dunsparce
8th April 2005, 3:29 AM
id prefer anciet power > rock slide for ap boosts

and what else can dunsprace do? =\

cb?

It can Kick butt in-game. Back in G/S/C, I had a Lv.100 Dunspace with Thunderbolt, Return, Iron Tail, and Flamethrower. I deafeated Red on my first try thank to it (it was at lv.86 at the time). I get tired of people underestimating it. I have never lost a Game Link Battle with it And I am currently Breeding Dunsparce(plural) on FR/LG to get the best IVs Possible. Come on people, it can learn Alot of good Moves and in my opinion is a great addition to any team if you take the time to raise it. It may not have the perfect stats, but what pokemon does? And yes I know I am taking it personally.

WitchKing_Ringwraith
9th April 2005, 1:17 PM
It can Kick butt in-game. Back in G/S/C, I had a Lv.100 Dunspace with Thunderbolt, Return, Iron Tail, and Flamethrower. I deafeated Red on my first try thank to it (it was at lv.86 at the time). I get tired of people underestimating it. I have never lost a Game Link Battle with it And I am currently Breeding Dunsparce(plural) on FR/LG to get the best IVs Possible. Come on people, it can learn Alot of good Moves and in my opinion is a great addition to any team if you take the time to raise it. It may not have the perfect stats, but what pokemon does? And yes I know I am taking it personally.

I admit that Serene Grace+Ancientpower is pretty cool, but Dunsparce just doesn't cut it in today's metagame.

serialcereal
19th May 2005, 9:48 PM
OMG!!!!! You all have no idea how helpful a annoyer is especially Ludicolo here's a good move set
Ludicolo@Leftovers
Leach Seed
Toxic
Surf
Roar
In that set you toxic than roar till all party is Poisoned

Red Hot Rose
19th May 2005, 10:00 PM
I agree, annoyers are pointless. Though, when I fight my brother or my cousin, it's kind of fun to see their reactions when they never hit me because of attract/thunderwave/doubleteam. But that's only because I enjoy it, and they make the funniest faces when they're mad.

But if you're actually in a competetive battle, annoyers are pointless. They do nothing, not even help you win. In fact, most annoyers are weak, so when the opponent does get an attack in, it'll probably OHKO it. I mean, go ahead and strategize, but annoying isn't really a strategy.

Groudon80
19th May 2005, 10:45 PM
OMG!!!!! You all have no idea how helpful a annoyer is especially Ludicolo here's a good move set
Ludicolo@Leftovers
Leach Seed
Toxic
Surf
Roar

You=idiot. Toxic/roar fails, as rest/cleric>it. >.>

Darkbolt
19th May 2005, 10:48 PM
And Ludicolo can't roar BTW

Ham
20th May 2005, 1:36 AM
Ludicolo@Leftovers
Leach Seed
Toxic
Surf
Roar

1) yeah, canceling Leftovers every turn is very helpful

2) It's open on 12 total turns. It WON'T last that long.

3) LS + roar = WTF?

4) Ludicolo doesn't get Roar

Groudon80
20th May 2005, 2:15 AM
you all have no idea how helpful a annoyer is
apperently I don't, care to fill me in?

SlakingMaster
20th July 2005, 6:43 AM
Ludicolo@Leftovers
Leach Seed
Toxic
Surf
Roar

Learn why toxic shuffling fails click here

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=62272

klducks
20th July 2005, 7:24 AM
I agree, annoyers are pointless. Though, when I fight my brother or my cousin, it's kind of fun to see their reactions when they never hit me because of attract/thunderwave/doubleteam. But that's only because I enjoy it, and they make the funniest faces when they're mad.
I agree, annoyers are fun for friendly games w/o all that standard **** that are on the internet.

Ludicolo with Seed, Toxic, Leftovers, and Rain Dish on Kyogre. Wahoo >.>;;

Vermillion Genocide
29th July 2005, 12:30 AM
What your thinking about is smart. You havent fully grasped the theory though. If you want a pokemon who is mwant to piss your opponent off and just bide time. Choose one with fair Hp/Def/Sp. Def. also, you wanna watch how those moves corespond with your speacial ability. I find shadow tag extremely useful in a battle like that. Too bad there are only a few with that ability. Also you wanna use toxic and put the opponent to sleep. Then try dream eater? or nightmare..If you can see where im going with this, then your thinking 'ghost pokemon'. Yeah. Well if your going to use one I highly suggest curse + toxic. Good luck.

WootyMcWoot
29th July 2005, 2:12 AM
What your thinking about is smart. You havent fully grasped the theory though. If you want a pokemon who is mwant to piss your opponent off and just bide time. Choose one with fair Hp/Def/Sp. Def. also, you wanna watch how those moves corespond with your speacial ability. I find shadow tag extremely useful in a battle like that. Too bad there are only a few with that ability. Also you wanna use toxic and put the opponent to sleep. Then try dream eater? or nightmare..If you can see where im going with this, then your thinking 'ghost pokemon'. Yeah. Well if your going to use one I highly suggest curse + toxic. Good luck.
Umm NO!!! Shadow Tag is only on Wobbuffet and Wynaut and Wobbuffet is banned from standard play. Toxic is bad bad attack in general as clerics are rampant in competitive play. Dream eater also=bad because of sleep clause. Same thing with nightmare. Curse on ghost is suicidal and stupid because all the opponent has to do is switch and stop it. Please don't act like you know what you're talking about if you clearly don't.

aipomkong
29th July 2005, 8:13 AM

there's this thing called switching, that completly makes sleep + dream eater useless, I agree with you somewhat in the fact that this work work IN GAME, but on NetBattle you would seriously get slaughtered using something like this, also Wobbuffet is frowned upon in competitive play so there goes shadow tag. Toxic is only really good in the metagame as a way to make people switch, as Blissey/Celebi are everywhere and will just use arompherapy/heal bell to completyly nullify toxic, now ghost pokemon and curse is another thing that'll work IN GAME, but on NB you'll get slaughtered again.
Gengar can't take a hit so it uses curse, then gets hit, 'oh I've just lost my Gengar oh no', plus Gengar had such a good movepool that it can do SO much better, anomg usable moves are;
Shadow Ball/Substitute/Ice punch/Fire Punch/Thunderbolt/Hypnosis/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Will-o-Wisp/maybe Psychic, MAYBE. no toxic no dream eater no curse. if you have Mean Look Gengar, then you really should have Protect/Perish Song and something else or expect to get owned.
ok, now banette, again cannot take a hit, so you curse and get hit, 'oh no Banette is gone' plus it's Under Used and is more usful with, Will-o-Wisp/Knock Off/Shadow Ball/HP Fighting.
Ok now Misdreavus, well it has a lot more uses then just cursing, as they can switch after the curse anyway. well Calm Mind/Thunderbolt/Psychic/Pain Split is better then Curse on it and so is, Mean Look/Perish Song/Protect/pain Split, over usable moves are Shadow ball and Destiny Bond imo, but there's no room for Toxic and Curse
Dusclops. The defencive ghost that Nintendo screwed with a crappy base HP and Atk, anyway, Shadow ball/Focus Punch/Will-o-Wisp/Pain Split is probably it's best competitive set, it can burn physcial attackers, restore hp (kinda) with pain split, shadow ball OHKO's Alakazam with about 28 Atk Evs, Focus Punch beats the hell out of standard Seismic Toss/Aroma/Softboiled/Thunder Wave Blissey, so Curse and Toxic are really useless.

Also the move 'Substitute' completly ruins your gameplan, blocking both Toxic and Curse (Curse is blocked IIRC) so then you're screwed

Also you wanna use toxic and put the opponent to sleep
I really didn't understand this part, you can't poison a Pokemon and then put them to sleep it's one or the other, and with competitive battling there's a sleep clause so only one of the opponents pokemon can be put to sleep (opponent using Rest is excluded)

oh, also, Dream Eater/Nightmare/Curse (on a ghost) is in my eyes, and probably a lot of other competitive battlers, a waste of a perfectly good moveset. Use this In Game or maybe even a Link Battle with someone who doesn't know what they are doing all you'll probably win, because they do not know what switching is, but we are talking about COMPETITIVE BATTLING like NETBATTLE, where people know there is a switch button, and have experience and know what they are doing (well some of them :P)

So really in short, your logic is wrong.

/Me, expects a 'no j00 are wrong and toxic + meanlook + curse pwns j00

JohtoGirl
27th February 2006, 5:52 PM
[QUOTE=WootyMcWoot] Toxic is bad bad attack in general as clerics are rampant in competitive play. QUOTE]

Toxic rules.Period.Two of the pokemons I use in competitive play have it, and boy, did it help me win quite a few times!(Unless the opponent has refresh >_>)

Annoyers are so much fun in game, but as many said, works in da reel world *cough* only partially (for instance, I like to put a swagger as an annoyer on my pokemons :D)

Hey Micky!
27th February 2006, 7:38 PM
Toxic rules.Period.Two of the pokemons I use in competitive play have it, and boy, did it help me win quite a few times!(Unless the opponent has refresh >_>)
Metagame seems to have changed alot since when this was written. The days of 99% teams having Blissey seems to have changed.

DragonDance
27th February 2006, 8:50 PM
What was the point in bumping this?

and ya, toxic sucks in OU.

aipomkong
27th February 2006, 9:04 PM
tell me one pokemon that uses refresh in competitive play (standard moveset), and i will quit NB'ing

Oh right! You can't

DragonDance
27th February 2006, 9:24 PM
Was that at me?

Fluorescent Adolescent
27th February 2006, 9:31 PM
Was that at me?

I knew you'd say that before even reading this topic :p

No it was obviously directed to the BUMPer of the thread ;/

Guy
27th February 2006, 9:46 PM
*Looks at beginning posts*
I would disagree. My annoyer Shuckle has helped me a lot. Once i was at peril to some all uber loser, losing 3-1, when i sent out Shuckle it owned 'em. I saw that Ludicolo is a staller, not an annoyer, and my Shuckle did that too, but it's always been called an Annoyer.
Wanderer Mirror B. sent out Shuckle (Lv.100 Shuckle)!
---------------------------------
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #28
doshindude's Elphaba: 100% HP
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 223 HP

Begin Turn #29
Elphaba used Return!
(26 damage)
It's not very effective...
Shuckle used Toxic!
Elphaba was badly poisoned!
The sunlight is strong.
Elphaba is hurt by poison!
End of turn #29
doshindude's Elphaba: 94% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 197 HP

Begin Turn #30
Shuckle used Protect!
Shuckle protected itself!
Elphaba used Thunderbolt!
The sunlight is strong.
Elphaba's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #30
doshindude's Elphaba: 88% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #31
Shuckle used Protect!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #31
doshindude's Elphaba: 75% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #32
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Recover!
Elphaba regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #32

Begin Turn #33
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
(46 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #33
doshindude's Elphaba: 50% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 151 HP

Begin Turn #34
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Return!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #34
doshindude's Elphaba: 19% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #35
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Recover!
Elphaba regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #35
doshindude's Elphaba: 31% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #36
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
Elphaba used Recover!
Elphaba regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #36
doshindude's Elphaba: 38% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #37
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Psychic!
The sunlight is strong.
Elphaba fainted!
doshindude sent out Oz (Lv.100 Mewtwo)!
End of turn #37
doshindude's Oz: 100% HP

Begin Turn #38
Oz used Thunder!
Oz's attack missed!
Shuckle used Toxic!
Oz was badly poisoned!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #38
doshindude's Oz: 94% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #39
Shuckle used Protect!
Oz used Psychic!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #39
doshindude's Oz: 87% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #40
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
Oz used Psychic!
(74 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #40
doshindude's Oz: 74% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 77 HP

Begin Turn #41
Oz used Psychic!
(66 damage)
Shuckle used Rest!
Shuckle went to sleep!
Shuckle's Chesto Berry woke it from its sleep!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #41
doshindude's Oz: 55% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #42
Shuckle used Protect!
Oz used Fire Blast!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #42
doshindude's Oz: 30% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #43
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
Oz used Fire Blast!
(93 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
Oz fainted!
doshindude sent out Nessarose (Lv.100 Latias)!
End of turn #43
doshindude's Nessarose: 100% HP
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 130 HP

Begin Turn #44
Nessarose used Ice Beam!
(39 damage)
Shuckle used Toxic!
Nessarose was badly poisoned!
The sunlight is strong.
Nessarose is hurt by poison!
End of turn #44
doshindude's Nessarose: 94% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 91 HP

Begin Turn #45
Nessarose used Return!
(16 damage)
Shuckle used Rest!
Shuckle went to sleep!
The sunlight is strong.
Nessarose's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #45
doshindude's Nessarose: 87% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 223 HP (Slp)

Begin Turn #46
Shuckle is fast asleep.
Nessarose used Thunderbolt!
(35 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #46
doshindude's Nessarose: 74% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 188 HP (Slp)

Begin Turn #47
Shuckle is fast asleep.
(37 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #47
doshindude's Nessarose: 55% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 151 HP (Slp)

Begin Turn #48
Shuckle woke up!
Shuckle used Protect!
Nessarose used Recover!
Nessarose regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #48
doshindude's Nessarose: 69% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #49
(41 damage)
Shuckle used Attract!
Nessarose fell in love!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #49
doshindude's Nessarose: 37% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 110 HP

Begin Turn #50
Nessarose is in love with Shuckle!
Nessarose is immobilized by love!
Shuckle used Rest!
Shuckle went to sleep!
The sunlight is strong.
Nessarose fainted!

End Battle! Wanderer Mirror B. wins!
Score: 0 to 1
doshindude: ...I could not defy gravity

NetBattle v0.9.6
Log saved 10/20/2005 at 7:48:52 PM
Yeah, so Attract's lame. But i couldn't find anything better, and Attract doesn't do only bad things (as you just saw)

Fluorescent Adolescent
27th February 2006, 9:55 PM
*Looks at beginning posts*
I would disagree. My annoyer Shuckle has helped me a lot. Once i was at peril to some all uber loser, losing 3-1, when i sent out Shuckle it owned 'em. I saw that Ludicolo is a staller, not an annoyer, and my Shuckle did that too, but it's always been called an Annoyer.
Wanderer Mirror B. sent out Shuckle (Lv.100 Shuckle)!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #28
doshindude's Elphaba: 100% HP

Begin Turn #29
Elphaba used Return!
(26 damage)
Shuckle used Toxic!
Elphaba was badly poisoned!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #29
doshindude's Elphaba: 94% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #30
Shuckle used Protect!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #30
doshindude's Elphaba: 88% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #31
Shuckle used Protect!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #31

Begin Turn #32
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Recover!
Elphaba regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #32

Begin Turn #33
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
(46 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #33
doshindude's Elphaba: 50% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #34
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Return!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #34
doshindude's Elphaba: 19% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #35
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Recover!
Elphaba regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #35
doshindude's Elphaba: 31% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #36
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
Elphaba used Recover!
Elphaba regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #36
doshindude's Elphaba: 38% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #37
Shuckle used Protect!
Elphaba used Psychic!
The sunlight is strong.
Elphaba fainted!
doshindude sent out Oz (Lv.100 Mewtwo)!
End of turn #37
doshindude's Oz: 100% HP

Begin Turn #38
Oz used Thunder!
Oz's attack missed!
Shuckle used Toxic!
Oz was badly poisoned!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #38
doshindude's Oz: 94% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #39
Shuckle used Protect!
Oz used Psychic!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #39
doshindude's Oz: 87% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #40
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
Oz used Psychic!
(74 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #40
doshindude's Oz: 74% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 77 HP

Begin Turn #41
Oz used Psychic!
(66 damage)
Shuckle used Rest!
Shuckle went to sleep!
Shuckle's Chesto Berry woke it from its sleep!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #41
doshindude's Oz: 55% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #42
Shuckle used Protect!
Oz used Fire Blast!
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
End of turn #42
doshindude's Oz: 30% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #43
Shuckle used Protect!
But it failed!
Oz used Fire Blast!
(93 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
Oz is hurt by poison!
Oz fainted!
doshindude sent out Nessarose (Lv.100 Latias)!
End of turn #43
doshindude's Nessarose: 100% HP
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 130 HP

Begin Turn #44
Nessarose used Ice Beam!
(39 damage)
Shuckle used Toxic!
Nessarose was badly poisoned!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #44
doshindude's Nessarose: 94% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 91 HP

Begin Turn #45
Nessarose used Return!
(16 damage)
Shuckle used Rest!
Shuckle went to sleep!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #45
doshindude's Nessarose: 87% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 223 HP (Slp)

Begin Turn #46
Shuckle is fast asleep.
(35 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #46
doshindude's Nessarose: 74% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 188 HP (Slp)

Begin Turn #47
Shuckle is fast asleep.
(37 damage)
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #47
doshindude's Nessarose: 55% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 151 HP (Slp)

Begin Turn #48
Shuckle woke up!
Shuckle used Protect!
Nessarose used Recover!
Nessarose regained health!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #48
doshindude's Nessarose: 69% HP (Psn)

Begin Turn #49
(41 damage)
Shuckle used Attract!
Nessarose fell in love!
The sunlight is strong.
End of turn #49
doshindude's Nessarose: 37% HP (Psn)
Wanderer Mirror B.'s Shuckle: 110 HP

Begin Turn #50
Nessarose is in love with Shuckle!
Nessarose is immobilized by love!
Shuckle used Rest!
Shuckle went to sleep!
The sunlight is strong.
Nessarose fainted!

End Battle! Wanderer Mirror B. wins!
Score: 0 to 1
doshindude: ...I could not defy gravity

NetBattle v0.9.6
Log saved 10/20/2005 at 7:48:52 PM
Yeah, so Attract's lame. But i couldn't find anything better, and Attract doesn't do only bad things (as you just saw)

lol

DragonDance
27th February 2006, 10:09 PM
Lol Protect.
lol Shuckle
lol Attract

you were playing a noob

aipomkong
27th February 2006, 10:17 PM
i hate to break this to you

but you were playing someone who was an idiot with little to no intelligence what-so-ever, and with absolute zero team building skills.

Guy
27th February 2006, 10:40 PM
Then i must have been on the many times i lost to Pike Queen Lucy. (OK so hers had Sandstorm instead of Attract but you get the point)

Delta
27th February 2006, 10:59 PM
Then i must have been on the many times i lost to Pike Queen Lucy. (OK so hers had Sandstorm instead of Attract but you get the point)

lol, shuckle is pointless no matter what. Poison/steel pokes, heal bellers and what not make it completely pointless in competitive play

aipomkong
28th February 2006, 4:36 PM
Pokemon used Substitute, Shuckle is helpless to do anything

Trainer used Steel/Poison Type, Shuckle is helpless

Pokemon used Taunt

Pokemon used Rest

Pokemon used Seismic Toss

Trainer used common sense

all end in shuckle losing without doing anything

Master6770
30th May 2006, 7:48 PM
I used to have an annoying Umbreon

Umbreon@leftovers
ev's:can't remember but it was all share between def Sdef and HP
Nature:Impish I think
toxic
DT
moonlight
confuse ray

and It sucked pokemon have much better uses than that.
I mean DT=Hax<i hate Hax
toxic=Genger, Metagross anyone or how about Skarm's with Roar/whirlwind for the DT as well
confuse ray=Boah uses Sub then focus punch's the hell into ya
moonlight<wish

Myuu & Rukario
6th June 2006, 12:54 AM
Maybe try a Jolteon on the cusp of annoyer and sweeper?

Jolteon@Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Sp, 252 SA, 6 Df
Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
Bite
Thunder Wave

It still has annoyance capabilities, but now it also has strong spells. Thunder Wave + Bite could = headache for Mewtwo or Alakazam. Plus, now Jolteon can kill Ground Pokemon with a strong Hidden Power attack.

Hey, it COULD work, right?

asianmang
6th June 2006, 12:58 AM
thunderbolt/hp grass/sub/bp

thunderbolt/hp water/growth/bp

thunderbolt/thunder wave/pin missle/double kick

all the sets ever used on a jolteon

aipomkong
6th June 2006, 12:59 AM
it doesn't work because it is an annoyer

asianmang
6th June 2006, 1:05 AM
lol this thread is so old, i was such a noob

JohtoGirl
19th June 2006, 4:58 PM
Haha whenever I battle my friends and I bring out my shiny jumpluff they start cursing me XD For the record, she knows :
Leech Seed,
Substitute,
Swagger,
Sleep powder (or something similarthat makes the opponent asleep)
(has flawless speed + leftovers)

So battle usually goes like sleep powder, substitute,leech seed and then start using swagger.It really depends on how fast the opponent wakes up, but jumpluff saved my *** quite a few times.

Although I want to change swagger to something, because she is definitely annoying, but her SpA and Attack is horrible.

asianmang
19th June 2006, 5:40 PM
it won't work on nb

aipomkong
19th June 2006, 7:26 PM
so i heard celebi makes jumpluff useless?

JohtoGirl
20th June 2006, 8:04 AM
so i heard celebi makes jumpluff useless?

what? I don't think I understand.

Black Mage
20th June 2006, 8:22 AM

loling

~Thunderstar ;121;;373;

Tazzler
20th June 2006, 3:57 PM

Celebi is a grass type so leech seed won't effect it.

Celebi has natural cure so sleeping it or paralyzing it with the powders is a waste of time since it can switch and heal itseld of status. It also has heal bell to heal the rest of the team of status that jumpluff tries to inflict.

asianmang
20th June 2006, 4:57 PM
jumpluff is trash in ou ;/

aipomkong
20th June 2006, 5:07 PM
jumpluff is trash

np - Architecture in Helsinki - Neverevereverdid

JohtoGirl
5th July 2006, 7:49 AM
Celebi is a grass type so leech seed won't effect it.

Celebi has natural cure so sleeping it or paralyzing it with the powders is a waste of time since it can switch and heal itseld of status. It also has heal bell to heal the rest of the team of status that jumpluff tries to inflict.

Well of course there are pokemons against which is inneffective :D like for everyone.I'm just saying that for me it usually works, if not, I switch ^^

Darkmaster Rannon
10th September 2006, 6:39 PM
Looks at barely used team of annoyers.... err.... I feel.... sad...... (Looks at butterfree with Compoundeyes) hehe....... Annoying right........