PDA

View Full Version : RMT - Long Time Player, New to Competitive

SyntheticFrost
9th July 2012, 2:12 AM
Hey guys. I know a lot of you must be getting tired of rating teams from "the new guy", but I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take the time to rate a team that I have been using since the original Red/Blue/Gold/Silver days.

For a little history, I bought Pokemon Red on release day, and played Pokemon religiously in my early teen years. I spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours between the GB games and Pokemon Stadium on the N64 training my team with moves they couldn't get on Red or Blue. This is why I won several local official Nintendo tournaments of the day.

I quit playing Pokemon after my Gold and Crystal gameboy cartridges got so much use that the internal batteries in the games died, erasing my saves and losing years worth of work after thousands of hours. I bought Ruby for the GBA around the same time, but at the time I was so bummed out about all that work gone to waste that I didn't even get more than 4 hours into it. I collected dust for years before I eventually gave all my old Gameboy stuff away.

Recently I saw HeartGold on sale for dirt cheap, new, so I grabbed it up for the refurbished DS Lite I got for christmas this year. Most all of my experience with Pokemon has been 1st and 2nd Gen. I've seen most 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon at this point, but I'm still catching up.

As such, I'm rebuilding my old 2nd gen team, updated with 4th gen moves and tactics. The nostalgia factor is big on this team.

My Team:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 200 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam/Psychic
- Rapid Spin/Recover

My sweeper and long time water Pokemon. I was actually surprised to see that this was more or less the cookie cutter spec on Smogon. I'd been using exactly this moveset since Red and Blue, before there were tons of fan sites on the matter. Not much I could possibly say other than I was really proud of him when he would one-shot other peoples Rare Candy-doped up Mewtwos.

Raichu @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Nasty Plot
- Volt Tackle
- Substitute
- Focus Blast

This slot needs the most work by far. For years I loved Jolteon. From the very first day I turned on the game, I wanted an electric type. However when I saw the options available at the time, I ended up being disappointed. After keeping Jolteon for a long time, ultimately giving up on him because of poor durability, I went to Zapdos purely for his immunity to Earthquake. But I hated having a legendary on my team. I wanted a pokemon I had an attachment to. So Zapdos didn't last long. I got a surfing Pikachu from the Pokemon Yellow launch promotion, and after that, that surfing Raichu held this spot until my games died because he was more durable than Jolteon.

Need a lot of help for a replacement. It doesn't even have to be an electric type. Anything that will fill a weakness of my remaining 5 will do. Preferably a more durable strong physical sweeper. Maybe Scizor or Heracross...

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Sandstorm
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin/Night Slash

Sandslash used to be my physical sweeper, even if I didn't realize it at the time. She used to have Rock Slide as her second attack, but in HeartGold she quickly and naturally shifted to more of a physical wall/support role before I even did any catch-up research for the 4th Gen. She's been my ground type since Pokemon Red/Blue. I hated the typing of Nidoking, Golem, and Rhydon, and immediately searched for a pure ground type. Took a lot of work to Pokemon Blue to get Sandshrew back in the day, but I've had a big attachment to her ever since. Despite being outclassed by newer ground types, she's been a very reliable lead thus far.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs:4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

This slot has been changed time and time again. It went from Gengar originally to Machamp when Dark types were introduced to Primeape to Gengar again. I know my team has a gap in dealing with dark types, and Gengar doesn't help that weakness one bit. I just can't seem to find anything that fits my play style. I hated Machamp. I need a good strong controller and Dark type counter.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Fireblast
- Air Slash
- Earthquake
- Roost

My very first Pokemon. Been with me since day one. His moves have been upgraded over the years, but the general idea has been the same, Backup sweeper with Fire, Flying, and a ground counter for those pesky electric types. Years and years of him being a solid slot on my team, and I'm pleased that he's held up as well as he has.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Syncronize
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Nature: Careful
- Curse
- Baton Pass
- Payback
- Wish/Moonlight

My stall and wall. I LOVE this little girl. After dropping Jolteon I missed having an eeveelution on my team. When Umbreon was introduced in Gold and Silver, I jumped on her. Aside from being a purely sexy Dark type, she is very often the one that saves my whole team from opposing sweepers. I'll curse then pass to my Sandslash for great Earthquakes and Night Slashs.