PDA

View Full Version : Ash & May! Heated Battles In Hoenn! (397)

Serebii
24th March 2005, 11:04 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/397.jpgAsh & May! Heated Battles In Hoenn!

It's the eve of the Grand Festival in Slateport City and with both the Grand Festival and the Hoenn League around the corner, Ash & May recall their toughest Gym & Contest Battles in Hoenn

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/397.shtml)

Discuss

MaskedManAbsolkid
24th March 2005, 11:08 AM
It sounds good. Let's just hope there's no cheesy puns that'll ruin it.

ŁańkaŃ
24th March 2005, 11:13 AM
Well, i hope they show all battles even the ones that they lost...i'd love to see them again :D

Neopolis
24th March 2005, 11:54 AM
Are you sure it's not a real episode? Meh, I don't know, but it sounds cool.

CyberCubed
24th March 2005, 6:38 PM
Is there any new animation in this episode? Meaning, do we see Ash and May talking to each other about their past battles, and THEN see flashbacks? Or is the whole thing just one big clip show with no new scenes at all?

JazzJazz
24th March 2005, 8:58 PM
Was there any information revealed about the upcoming Grand Festival/Hoenn League?

Dogasu
25th March 2005, 5:34 AM
If the episode was packaged with a Pokemon Trivia Quiz, the regular opening, the regular eyecatch, and the regular ending theme, then yes, it is a regular episode.

Golden Darkness
25th March 2005, 8:05 AM
Yeah, the "episode" had all that.

Having watched it, it's a pure clip show. No new material, I can detect. The narrator was definately busy though, continuously narrating the entire thing.

First half of the clip show consisted of Ash's Hoenn League journey, looking at his past Gym battles (except the 3rd and 4th ones apparently, just a mention he got those badges). Second half was basically all of May's Pokemon Contest attempts.

Torkoal Stu
25th March 2005, 8:08 AM
Yeah, the "episode" had all that.

Having watched it, it's a pure clip show. No new material, I can detect. The narrator was definately busy though, continuously narrating the entire thing.

First half of the clip show consisted of Ash's Hoenn League journey, looking at his past Gym battles (except the 3rd and 4th ones apparently, just a mention he got those badges). Second half was basically all of May's Pokemon Contest attempts.

So no ash, max, may and brock talking then showing clips? What was the point? Well I doubt this will be dubbed!

Golden Darkness
25th March 2005, 8:11 AM
No taking by them except in their flashback scenes.

Torkoal Stu
25th March 2005, 8:14 AM

Thats sound pointless don't you think so? I think so!

Neopolis
25th March 2005, 8:26 AM
Yeah, if it had some new scenes it'd sorta make sense...

Sharpshooter
25th March 2005, 8:42 AM
Well since it fits the description of a regular episode, and thus makes up the AG series, there's no reason why 4kids should ban it. Although in reality, money's the big thing to these guys, if they don't think it's relevant in any shape or form for the pokémon fans of America, they wont bother, seeing as the KidsWB! schedule seems pretty tight and competitive anyway.

Golden Darkness
25th March 2005, 8:45 AM
Yeah, if it had some new scenes it'd sorta make sense...

Yeah, it wasn't like Yu-Gi-Oh's clip show, where there were new scenes seperating the different clips. It was apparently worth their while for 4Kids to dub it and KidsWB to air it.

Sharpshooter
25th March 2005, 8:47 AM
Yes that's rather worrying lol.

Torkoal Stu
25th March 2005, 9:03 AM
Yeah, it wasn't like Yu-Gi-Oh's clip show, where there were new scenes seperating the different clips. It was apparently worth their while for 4Kids to dub it and KidsWB to air it.

I remember that clip show it was good because they were ta;ling and then they showed clips! That was good! But I bet the won't dub it!

Serebii
25th March 2005, 9:17 AM
Actually, this IS a proper episode, it has 32 seconds of new footage So it DOES count as episode 397

Torkoal Stu
25th March 2005, 9:21 AM
Actually, this IS a proper episode, it has 32 seconds of new footage So it DOES count as episode 397

Really A whole 32 SECONDS! WOW! What the point?

Alfonso
25th March 2005, 11:23 AM
This episode is of absolutely no interest to me other than for the fact that Roxanne, I assume, appears. Even if it is in a clip. :P Oos should be happy about Brawly, too.

Gaiash
25th March 2005, 11:28 AM
I think its sounds great, I can't wait to see what battles are used and what the new footage is like

Juputoru
25th March 2005, 2:42 PM
Hmm...

Well, showing the gym battles and contests from the beginning of the series IS a good idea. It's been 3 years since Houen started(IIRC), so having a refresher like this is good. Clips show may not be useful in the "oh look they advanced the plot or at least gave us something new" sense, but they ARE useful in the "my memory of that was foggy but this episode helped me remember that" sense; although Pokemon is less confusing to try and remember everything that happened than, say, Gundam SEED Destiny, it's still nice to get a recap on what happened.

Dogasu
25th March 2005, 3:42 PM
So no ash, max, may and brock talking then showing clips? What was the point? Well I doubt this will be dubbed!

When 4Kids dubs this episode, they could very well change it so that the entire episode is narrated by Ash, Broc, May, and Max. Especially since the narration won't require any lip-syncing on 4Kids' part.

Water Man
25th March 2005, 7:57 PM
Did you do pictures for this episode Serebii?

Serebii
25th March 2005, 8:19 PM
Careful, that classes as spam

We will have pics in tonights update so be patient

MayAsh1987
25th March 2005, 11:41 PM
Well, the clip show is kinda what I predicted, some guy telling, narrating. If 4 Kids do get this episode, do anyone think they might use Ash and May's voices instead since they are the ones who battled and won their prize?

Gaiash
26th March 2005, 4:15 PM
Well, the clip show is kinda what I predicted, some guy telling, narrating. If 4 Kids do get this episode, do anyone think they might use Ash and May's voices instead since they are the ones who battled and won their prize?
for Ash and May to tell it would be awesome!

wobbanut
26th March 2005, 7:04 PM
Did I see it right from the pics- is this a Team Rocket-less episode? I didn't catch one glimpse of them, even though Jessie had been in most of the contests. If it is, I'm not looking forward to it. :(

Torkoal Stu
26th March 2005, 7:20 PM
Wait howcome it didn't shhow clip of the thrid and forth battles? Howcome?

Gaiash
26th March 2005, 8:06 PM
Did I see it right from the pics- is this a Team Rocket-less episode? I didn't catch one glimpse of them, even though Jessie had been in most of the contests. If it is, I'm not looking forward to it. :(
Team Rocket are probably going to play a minor part OR Jessie will steal someones ribbons and enter the contest

Dogasu
9th April 2005, 9:48 PM
I just saw the episode, and, in my opinion, the editor of this episode deserves to be shot. Instead of putting the clips together and then rescoring the episode, the editor just kept the music and sound effects that were playing in the original clips. The result is that the music kept skipping whenever a new clip was inserted, which happened over a dozen times in this episode.

I would expect this kind of lazy editing from a freshman Media Studies student, not a television show as well-known as Pocket Monsters.

Dark Cacturne
14th January 2006, 10:39 PM
If somebody didn't see this episode, you can see it here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=39170770952945030&q=pokemon
Good luck with it!

Sorry about the language you will hear!

Ashy Boy
2nd June 2006, 4:17 PM
When 4Kids dubs this episode, they could very well change it so that the entire episode is narrated by Ash, Broc, May, and Max. Especially since the narration won't require any lip-syncing on 4Kids' part.
Don't bother, it has been skipped in the US since they don't like doing flashbacks of several shows.

Dogasu
2nd June 2006, 11:14 PM
Whey the hell did you bump a five-month old thread?

Ashy Boy
3rd June 2006, 8:54 AM
Sorry I'm just saying.

Rex Kamex
5th June 2006, 8:23 PM
Actually, it did make sense for 4Kids to skip this one, not only to get to the Grand Festival faster, but because it wasn't a really good clip show worth waiting a week for anyway.

Whey the hell did you bump a five-month old thread?

What's wrong with bumping an Episode Discussion Sticky Thread?

CyberCubed
5th June 2006, 8:32 PM
Besides that, it allows the Advanced Battle season to end on an episode with Ash and May in the spotlight. (It would have ended with the May/Harley contest otherwise)

sdp
5th June 2006, 11:40 PM
bah, for some reason I would have enjoyed a clip show...
besides i'd think the USA would love clip shows...

Ashy Boy
7th June 2006, 10:34 PM
If somebody didn't see this episode, you can see it here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=39170770952945030&q=pokemon
Good luck with it!

Sorry about the language you will hear!

Tried the link. Didn't work.

bhrettzerda053
28th March 2008, 6:50 AM
Neh, why isn't this episode dubbed in English? Maybe 4Kids skipped this episode and moved on to the next one.

(s.i.e)
9th March 2009, 7:44 PM
it's a decent episode, not very special though but decent.

ScytherBreeder
4th September 2009, 4:17 PM
Is there a link with subtitles?
I know theres no dub, but I'd watch it with subs if I could find it.

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 1:14 PM
Good clip episode, too bad it didn't dub into the english version.

Lorde
12th January 2010, 4:38 PM
Apparently it wasn't dubbed because it was a complete waste of time, moreso than most Johto Fillers (what a shock!).

Clipshows are historically boring. This one was a little more exciting because the characters were remembering the events themselves. We didn't just have someone else running through things.

4/10 which is generous. May the next clipshow be a tad bit better.

Sayho1234
25th September 2010, 8:14 AM
I wish that this episode were dubbed :(

G50
23rd April 2011, 7:25 PM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see the Flashback reminders of Ash and May's battles. I felt this episode wasn't really neccessary. The Flashback clips helped me to finally decide what my favorite moments for Ash and May were.

10/100

TheEpicGoomba
29th May 2011, 7:40 PM
Unneccessary episode is Unneccessary. It was cool to see the flash backs and all but in all a pointless episode.

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 1:42 AM
Nice to see flashbacks, but sad it never got released outside of Japan