PDA

View Full Version : Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

bobandbill
8th January 2013, 12:48 PM
Discuss the three new starter Pokemon for 6th gen!

All posts, speculation or not, should be constructive and contain ideas, support/elaborate their ideas, and must contribute to the discussions and/or on-going arguments. Also, one-liner posts such as "I agree.", "I want [this] to be in the game!", "This sucks!" will all be considered SPAM, deleted and you will be possibly infracted.

Also, we know that this is the speculation thread and you are free to speculate the possible designs of the starters' evolutions. But we encourage everyone to please try and refrain from posting Fakemon without supporting the idea. At least elaborate on why you think the specific starter will evolve into such creatures.

Simply posting "I think [starter] will evolve into something like this." or "I want [starter] to evolve into this." will also be considered spam and will result to infractions.[/SIZE]

Let's promote a worthwhile discussion!

Chespin:
http://www.serebii.net/grass.png
Froakie:
http://www.serebii.net/water.png
Fennekin:
http://www.serebii.net/fire.png

Chespin: 806 (26.78%)
Fennekin: 1,286 (42.72% )
Froakie: 797 (26.48%)
NONE, Dunsparce looks better: 121 (4.02%)

pikadon92
8th January 2013, 2:38 PM
I swear, if Fennekin's evo gonna be a fire/fighting Swords of Justice wannabe I'm gonna-

I like Chespin the most here. Its dorky-lloking face is its charm point imo. I would most likely use it.

Fennekin looks adorable too, especially for its feminine looks.

Froakie looks okay. I like it the least among this set of starters and when compared to other starters, but I still like it.

Kariachi
8th January 2013, 2:41 PM
I'm gonna have to take some time to get used to Froakie and Chespin, but I'm already loving Fennekin. Always had a thing for Fennic Foxes... I can't wait to see what direction they take this fire-type fox in to differentiate it from Vulpix and Ninetails.

Rinne
8th January 2013, 2:42 PM
The two little bubbles on Froakie's nose look like bifocals. That's my only observation, really.

Dillio_686
I think Fennekin used a Psychic move in the trailer. I'd say Chespin will be a fighting type though.

Endolise
I love all three of them. Chespin is adorable, Fennekin is sleek and Froakie's cool. I'll probably pick Fennekin when the time comes, though, since I gravitated to it from the very instant I saw it (plus, my middle name is "Fox," so let's just say I have an affinity).

foxxface
8th January 2013, 2:43 PM
Chespin's evolutions will be interesting, I have no clue which way it'll go. Fennekin is my favorite, love the wing-esque designs of its fur.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 2:44 PM
Well, after a Generation gap, it seems I'm going back to the Fire-type starter. I've already decided I'm picking Fennekin.

Unless its evolution is another Fire/Fighting, in that case I absolutely refuse to choose it.

KingMinun
I love Fennekin, I've always wanted a fox starter and this one looks great so far, I'm very excited to see its evolution now,and hopefully Corocoro this month will reveal more about the starters.

carboncopy
We really can't decide until we see the final forms. Its ususally in the final forms that they become great

hawkeye721
8th January 2013, 2:45 PM
I think I might pick chespin, but it alll depends on the evolution, my second chose is the fire starter

Nacreous
I bet Chespin's evos are Grass/Fighting,Fennekin's evos are Fire/Dark[mischievous fox--Zorua anyone?] and Froakie's evos are Water/Psychic[just look at the way it holds its hand]---although,they could evolve into totally surprising things[just look at Samurott]

And I like the idea of Psychic type attacks being not very effective on Dark types instead of not having any effect.

-------------------------I need coffee

Luthor
so given the international release of the othe language names does that mean chespin,froakie and fennekin are confirmed names for the English version?

Will-powered Spriter
I reckon the types are Grass/Dark, Fire/Ghost and Water Fighting, since that would mean they trump their respective opponents from the video. Ghost and Dark are interchangeable, I guess.

Also Froakie is the best starter.

Serilei
Is it me or are they losing creativity in pokemon?

Chespin reminds me of an Oshawott/Dewott grass version.

Froakie reminds me of a Poliwhirl Seismitoad mixture.

Legendary Y reminds me of a bird from Windwaker when you go to the fortress.

Legendary X... So many like deerish pokemon, dont we have enough? It is like a mixture between Suicune, Verizion, Cobalion, Sawsbuck.

I will wait till further pokemon show up to give a final statement, but so far, I dont know yet.

But on a side note, the game looks AMAZING! Everything about it, and I am 100% excited to play it! Havent felt this excited in a while :D

Endolise
8th January 2013, 2:46 PM

It's just you.

Zecaomes
I'll definetely use Chespin. It looks like Oshawott, but it's even cooler. I also loved Fennekin, but not as much as I love Chespin. Froakie is OK.

Ver-mont

It's definitely you.

If you want them to look like rip-offs of other Pokémon, you will find some way to say they are, and you could do this with any Generation.

KingMinun
8th January 2013, 2:47 PM
We really can't decide until we see the final forms. Its ususally in the final forms that they become great

I don't see why not? Not everyone evolves pokemon, so they can go ahead and choose which starter they want now. I did that with 4th gen, when I found out about Turtwig I liked it so much I chose it right away and decided at that very point I wasn't evolving it.

spiller
8th January 2013, 2:47 PM
i like all three but froakie is my favorite. chespin looks the worst out of the 3 in my opinion but i still like the design and fennikin looks graceful and i imaging it's final evolved form would look cool.

Blazios
8th January 2013, 2:48 PM
Just so you know, the OP has Fennekin and Froakie's pictures mixed up.

spiller
8th January 2013, 2:49 PM
has anyone noticed that the white marks on frokies head look like glasses in their shape

streetlightdsb
8th January 2013, 2:49 PM
I'd like Chespin to end up as Grass/Steel. We only have Ferroseed/Ferrothorn with that typing at the moment, and it's pretty likely that as a chestnut/hedgehog hybrid that it's going to have some spikes. Most likely on it's head and back. Steel would be a good match in that case.

BaneRain
8th January 2013, 2:50 PM
I have a feeling the little frog dude is gonna be water/poison. Think poison dart frog.

Draknir
8th January 2013, 2:50 PM
Not going to lie. Its going to be difficult choosing a starter when X and Y are released.

Chespin is interesting to look at. So little green compared to most other Grass Starters. I haven't got the slightest idea as to what its based off of. It doesn't give any major hints. I'm guessing the 'Ches' in its English name comes from Chestnut, maybe? One thing I do know is that its expression looks like something off of Happy Tree Friends.

I really like the design of Fennekin, truthfully. If I decide to use it, I'm going to have to reset until I get a female because it fits it better. I think its safe to say it will not be a Fire/Fighting, based on its design. Based on the trailer, it looks like it might end up being a Fire/Psychic like Victini.

Froakie certainly is interesting. It looks like it has a bib. Basing it off of a Frog seems so...predictable. I really don't have a problem with how it looks though.

Of course, I have very little to go on right now. Need a quite a bit more before I decide which one is my favorite.

Jolteon91
8th January 2013, 2:51 PM
Based purely off design I like Fennekin the best, will lose my **** if its another fire/fighting though, thankfully that looks unlikely. Not a fan of the names though, they'll likely grow on me in time, but if not hooray for nicknames.

Ludicoconut
I have to say that Froakie and Chespin intrigue me most out of the 3. Froakie is obvs. based off of a frog and chespin appears to stem from Chestnut and some sort of rodent species?

rocky505
I'm going to wait and see the evolved forms before I jump to conclusions of who I'll use or like. Things changed for me when they revealed the BW starters evolved forms. But I adore Chespin, he's just adorable. Fennekin gives me the vibes that Snivy did when it was revealed, like trying to look awesome.

Kurloz Makara
Fennekin's adorable! Looks like I'm choosing the Fire Starter this time, regardless of its Stats.

I'm hoping Fennekin's a Fire/Psychic type. That'd make it the first starter with that Type combo.

Cloud_Arcanine
8th January 2013, 2:52 PM
Well, after a Generation gap, it seems I'm going back to the Fire-type starter. I've already decided I'm picking Fennekin.

Unless its evolution is another Fire/Fighting, in that case I absolutely refuse to choose it.

Same here. I've never chosen Tepig as my starter as I don't like Emboar at all.
Fennekin here looks interesting, it's the first fire type that's looked quite feminine (compared to others) Chespin and Froakkie look pretty cool, I'd have to see the other evolutions though first before I could make proper judgements.

Nacreous
I reckon the types are Grass/Dark, Fire/Ghost and Water Fighting, since that would mean they trump their respective opponents from the video. Ghost and Dark are interchangeable, I guess.

Also Froakie is the best starter.

I think you might be right.It would make sense for the fox to be part Ghost.Though,the frog looks so intelectual.I must say,I'm intrigued.

I think Chespin is using Night Slash in the vid.I dunno about the others.

Instant..123

You seem new

This opinion is not

I hope one of them ends up being -psychic. I'm dying for a proper fire/psychic line.

Poetry
8th January 2013, 2:53 PM
I'm gradually warming to Froakie and slowly going off Chespin. Fennekin at the moment seems... well, it's a good design and all but I can't get Vulpix/Ninetails out of my head whenever I look at it.

Sarefan
8th January 2013, 2:53 PM
Chespin doesn't seem like much to mee tbh. Fennekin looks awesome, and Froakie is cool. Don't mind what Froakie's evos will be, I'll start with the Water starter anyways, It's a tradition that I won't break. For my second playthrough as a female character, Fennekin is my pick, It just screams for a female trainer.
AS for typing: Chespin: Grass/Ground. Fennekin: Fire/Psychic and Froakie: Water/Fight or Water/Ground

Littlemyuu
8th January 2013, 2:55 PM
I really like Chespin, wonder what happend to its tail, I sure will take this starter!
I think Froakie will become a frence frog-ish with a mustace and a beard ( what is awesome!)
Fennekin, I think will look beutiful, some majestic fox!

Shadow_Zorua
8th January 2013, 2:56 PM
I actually like all three of the starters this time. Fav is probably Fennekin though and I'm most likely going to end up using it. Hoping it's gonna end up part psychic because it seemed to be using a psychic attack in the trailer...
For me, Chespin kinda looks like an otter, but I still like it none the less. Froakie seems to be very interesting. The two white spots almost make it look like its wearing glasses.

AlexPumpkin
I love them all three, but i can't help thinking of...

NeoDude-5000
Guys something just ran a bell about the Fire Starters about something based on what PokeJungle mentioned (during speculation). The fire starters are based on Chinese Zodiac Animals. Charmander is based on the dragon, Cyndaquill is a rat, Torchic is a rooster, Chimchar is a monkey, Tepig is a pig and Fennekin is a fox but it maybe based on the tiger from the Zodiac (maybe it evolves into a tiger Pokemon). Just thought you would be interested.

Phoenixfatih
8th January 2013, 2:57 PM
Chespin looks really different, its face, arms, legs and tail don't seem to based on a single animal. I wonder how it will end up its evolution.

spiller
8th January 2013, 2:57 PM
i think this might be the 3rd generation i start with the water starter first, cant wait to see what their evolved forms look like. and do u think theyll reveal anything new on pokemon smash or corocoro soon?

slowkingsley
8th January 2013, 2:58 PM

The inspiration behind Chespin is a chestnut and a hedgehog/porcupine. Both the Japanese and English (and French and German) names reference each.

Endolise

The first two kinda work, but Froakie looks NOTHING like Seismitoad + Vanillish.

Nacreous
Guys something just ran a bell about the Fire Starters about something based on what PokeJungle mentioned (during speculation). The fire starters are based on Chinese Zodiac Animals. Charmander is based on the dragon, Cyndaquill is a rat, Torchic is a rooster, Chimchar is a monkey, Tepig is a pig and Fennekin is a fox but it maybe based on the tiger from the Zodiac (maybe it evolves into a tiger Pokemon). Just thought you would be interested.

It could be a mix...fox with tiger feautures...who knows?^^

Scammel
8th January 2013, 2:59 PM
I'm thinking Froakie is likely to become a sage-type character, or a wizard, what with the spectacles, white 'hair' and the fact that it looks like he's struggling to hear. Toss in the significance of frogs and the occult in Western folklore and the fact that 'Froakie' could potentially be a play on 'fogey' (as in, 'old fogey'), we may have a water/psychic on our hands.

Serilei
8th January 2013, 2:59 PM
You seem new

This opinion is not

I hope one of them ends up being -psychic. I'm dying for a proper fire/psychic line.Physically on the forums yes. Took me some years to sign up, been a lurker forever.

Luthor
8th January 2013, 3:00 PM

ok that was pretty funny.

Master-o-Darkness
8th January 2013, 3:02 PM
I think Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic type... it really looks like it. but, really, as long as we don't have another Fire/Fighting starter, fine by me.

I will likely choose Froakie. seeing that we'll have Palpitoad (if the statue is anything to go by), I find it curious that we have two Water-type frogs in the same Dex.

Hidden Power
I swear, if Fennekin's evo gonna be a fire/fighting Swords of Justice wannabe I'm gonna-

I like Chespin the most here. Its dorky-lloking face is its charm point imo. I would most likely use it.

Fennekin looks adorable too, especially for its feminine looks.

Froakie looks okay. I like it the least among this set of starters and when compared to other starters, but I still like it.

Funny, because I was thinking that Kennekin's little extension on its hind legs reminds me of Virizion. Chespin reminds me of Oshawott because of how its expression, and how its body is sectioned and given different colors. At the moment I'm neutral about seeing them, though, brand new stuff but the design doesn't really get me excited for some reason.

Nacreous
I'm thinking Froakie is likely to become a sage-type character, or a wizard, what with the spectacles, white 'hair' and the fact that it looks like he's struggling to hear. Toss in the significance of frogs and the occult in Western folklore and the fact that 'Froakie' could potentially be a play on 'fogey' (as in, 'old fogey'), we may have a water/psychic on our hands.

It doesn't look like it's struggling to hear,it looks like it's thinking.I get a very intellectual vibe from it...kinda like an arristocrat.

john90
Ok oK I got it.. Froakie: 18th century french man with white wig and typical tiny glasses..
http://www.google.it/imgres?q=eighteenth+century+wig&start=160&um=1&hl=it&tbo=d&biw=1600&bih=785&tbm=isch&tbnid=h_1B7W2d2n9w8M:&imgrefurl=http://siftingthepast.com/2012/08/&docid=uisM5p7JMV8YWM&imgurl=http://siftingthepast.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/siftingthepast_self-portrait_rienk-jelgerhuis1729e280931806_1791.jpg&w=1087&h=1624&ei=PCPsUIKZMorNsgael4CICQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=113&vpy=243&dur=1634&hovh=275&hovw=184&tx=110&ty=182&sig=100529079527890708692&page=4&tbnh=148&tbnw=114&ndsp=60&ved=1t:429,r:96,s:100,i:292

Mr.Munchlax
8th January 2013, 3:03 PM
I'm definitely going to use either Chespin or Froakie, though I have to wait until their I see evolutionary forms to make a final decision

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 3:03 PM
Funny, because I was thinking that Kennekin's little extension on its hind legs reminds me of Virizion. Chespin reminds me of Oshawott because of how its expression, and how its body is sectioned and given different colors. At the moment I'm neutral about seeing them, though, brand new stuff but the design doesn't really get me excited for some reason.

Chespin is so much like the Pikachu clones though.Its face is identical to Emolga's.

streetlightdsb
8th January 2013, 3:04 PM
I can't see a Fox (canine) evolving into a Tiger (feline). Maybe next gen eh?

Thanks for the hedgehog confirmation slowkingsley, I'm liking Chespin more by the minute.

As I said above, I'm hoping for Grass/Steel final form Chespin, as well as Water/Ice for Froakie (though I can't see a cold blooded Frog becoming an Ice type) and Fire/anything but Fighting for Fennekin.

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 3:04 PM
Ok oK I got it.. Froakie: 18th century french man with white wig and typical tiny glasses..
http://www.google.it/imgres?q=eighteenth+century+wig&start=160&um=1&hl=it&tbo=d&biw=1600&bih=785&tbm=isch&tbnid=h_1B7W2d2n9w8M:&imgrefurl=http://siftingthepast.com/2012/08/&docid=uisM5p7JMV8YWM&imgurl=http://siftingthepast.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/siftingthepast_self-portrait_rienk-jelgerhuis1729e280931806_1791.jpg&w=1087&h=1624&ei=PCPsUIKZMorNsgael4CICQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=113&vpy=243&dur=1634&hovh=275&hovw=184&tx=110&ty=182&sig=100529079527890708692&page=4&tbnh=148&tbnw=114&ndsp=60&ved=1t:429,r:96,s:100,i:292

Exactly what I thought,lol.Would be awesome to see if they incorporate a huge wig on its evos^^

gliscor&yanmega
8th January 2013, 3:05 PM
Gotta get used to the names, better now then when the rest of the Pokemon get revealed.

I like all three, I'd never had issues before with starters but for the most part I never really liked all three that much before, I'm only a fan of 3 maybe 4 in total(I find them all interesting to some degree though). I can see myself having these three all be favorites though. I like the Fire one most so far, it's not a Wolf(Favorite Animal), but it's the closest to relate to one out of the three.

Not sure what to expect for types, I imagine they'll all be single type until evolutions at least. I would like Dark, Fighting, and Psychic to be their dual types upon evolving though.

rocky505
8th January 2013, 3:05 PM
I can't see a Fox (canine) evolving into a Tiger (feline). Maybe next gen eh?
I can't see a fish evolving into an octopus, oh wait.....

bobandbill
8th January 2013, 3:06 PM
I like the fire type the most so far. Just prefer its design more than others thus far. Quite cute!

The grass starter made me think of Oshawott off the bat, haha. Going to reserve decisions on who to use once the evolutions are revealed though.

NeoDude-5000
I think I might go with Chespin as my starter, but I'm not 100% sure if I'll take it. I'm just hoping Fennekin doesn't evolves into another Fire/Fighting Pokemon, its getting boring now.

Ver-mont
Not sure what to expect for types, I imagine they'll all be single type until evolutions at least. I would like Dark, Fighting, and Psychic to be their dual types upon evolving though.

As long as Fire gets either Dark or Psychic, I'm fine with this.

Wulava
8th January 2013, 3:07 PM
I like all of the starters. But I like Froakie most.

I mentioned it before but they finally broke the reptilian Grass starter line.

Sarefan
8th January 2013, 3:09 PM
It leans more towards Psychic imho. One move it used in the trailer looks a but like a psychic attack.

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 3:09 PM
I also love that the Fire type starter isn't red...golden and beautiful...I get a very elegant,mischievous vibe from it.While,the Water one is much more arristocratic--the way the Snivy line is.I anticipate that the Grass one will surprise me the most with its evos.I have no idea what to predict when I look at them.

OrcaCity
8th January 2013, 3:11 PM
I think if I just give Froakie time, I'll grow to like him. The same thing happened to me with Tepig. I despised him at first, but now he's probably my favorite Unova starter because I love Emboar. I'm really excited to see the evolutions!!!!

Kyris
8th January 2013, 3:11 PM
I hope they go fire/psychic(similar to ninetails) with fennekin. I always play fire starters and its nice to have one I can actually get excited about this generation. The last GREAT fire starter was gen 2..

Axel.
8th January 2013, 3:12 PM
I don't know why everyone is hating on Chespin. He looks cool to me, all of them do as a matter of fact. But my favorite is Froakie. In the trailer hee used an attack that looked pretty fast, I don't think any of the previous water starters focused on speed.

Locormus
8th January 2013, 3:13 PM
i like all three but froakie is my favorite. chespin looks the worst out of the 3 in my opinion but i still like the design and fennikin looks graceful and i imaging it's final evolved form would look cool.

I'm guessing Chespin will be the Oshawott of the generation.. Badly appreciated at the beginning (due to it not smiling in the first art), but then turns out to be the most marketed pokemon in the end. Of course they can do it the exact same way, and Froakie turns out to be the real merchseller, but I doubt it.

Chespin = Oshawott
Fennekin = Snivy
Froakie = Tepig

In vibe that is, to me.. Which is good, because I picked Oshawott in BW, but didn't really like the Water-type, so now I can get my Grass-type again.

I'm gradually warming to Froakie and slowly going off Chespin. Fennekin at the moment seems... well, it's a good design and all but I can't get Vulpix/Ninetails out of my head whenever I look at it.

Totally agree on the latter statement..

Could be, but then I'd think he'd evolve into the MrMiyagi-type..

That guy is either Dutch.. Just saying..
- Name: R. Jelgerhuis
- Old: 62 years (jaaren in old dutch)
- Date: June 9th 1791

Drakkardnoir
8th January 2013, 3:16 PM
Fire starter for me :)

Firebrand
Thoughts on the starters and how they'll evolve:

Chespin will likely gain the dark type, as evidenced by the Night Slash it used in the trailer. I could see it growing into a spiny ninja-like thing. Can't tell if it's supposed to be a bear or a gopher at this point, but basically mammalian, with spikes.

For Fennekin I predict it will gain the psychic type (as evidenced by the in-trailer move), and likely grow basically up. I can see it trending towards an elegant fox, ala Ninetales, but I could also see it going the more lupine route and becoming a large fiery wolf. At the moment, the former seems most likely.

Froakie is the only one I can't predict very well. It looked like it used a fighting type move, and if it gained the fighting type, the type triangle would be inverted, with grass>fire>water, but then dark<psychic<fighting. If so, then Froakie may grow into a fighting type, and judging by the aristocratic collar, I could see him being a gentleman brawler, like a Victorian age boxer. Or, perhaps he'll stay a strictly water type and surprise me.

Golden_Charmander
I love all three starters. So very excited for this game. It's a shame we're getting yet another water-type frog pokemon though. I was hoping I could have a frog+toad-themed team but that's not going to happen if there are too many of the same type :(

General Nonsense
8th January 2013, 3:17 PM
Fennecin is absolutely adorable. This might be the first time in a while that I use the fire starter on a first playthrough. Froakie is kinda cute in a derpy amphibian way. Chespin however, well, let's just say it's final evolution will have to be pretty awesome for me to consider using it. I really dislike its design.

john90
8th January 2013, 3:18 PM
I'm guessing Chespin will be the Oshawott of the generation.. Badly appreciated at the beginning (due to it not smiling in the first art), but then turns out to be the most marketed pokemon in the end. Of course they can do it the exact same way, and Froakie turns out to be the real merchseller, but I doubt it.

Chespin = Oshawott
Fennekin = Snivy
Froakie = Tepig

In vibe that is, to me.. Which is good, because I picked Oshawott in BW, but didn't really like the Water-type, so now I can get my Grass-type again.

Totally agree on the latter statement..

Could be, but then I'd think he'd evolve into the MrMiyagi-type..

That guy is either Dutch.. Just saying..
- Name: R. Jelgerhuis
- Old: 62 years (jaaren in old dutch)
- Date: June 9th 1791

yeah yeah but I didn't mean that guy is french.. I just wanted to give an idea..

ohjeezitskim
8th January 2013, 3:18 PM
Hmm, my thoughts are: Fennekin is adorable! Sooo choosing him/her as my starter :3
The other two are okay, not my favorite.

I like the X legendary pokemon, it reminds me of some movie scene. (Y isn't bad)
I seem to like majestic deer lol

And the full 3D/Worldwide release is awesome.
I think the main character is going to be customizable since he was looking into a mirror in the beginning.

NeoDude-5000
8th January 2013, 3:19 PM

I'm hoping Fire/Dark.

Luthor
It leans more towards Psychic imho. One move it used in the trailer looks a but like a psychic attack.

while thats true(and it certainly could be psychic type) don't forget even dark types like shiftry can have random psychic type attacls(extra sensory)

cockatoo777
will mozilla sue pokemoncorp now that they put in a firefox?

Thriller
8th January 2013, 3:20 PM
Wow. What unbelievably ugly Starters...

I can't understand why they have to keep messing up Chipmunks. Not since Ross Bagdassarian Jr. attempted to convince us his walking Groundhogs were Chipmunks had something fail so hard at making a chipmunk creature.

That Fire Fox is pretty cool though. I hope that frog evolves into something epic.

rocky505
8th January 2013, 3:21 PM

They didn't sue for Vulpix or Ninetales.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 3:21 PM

Didn't they do that since Generation I?

("Pokemoncorp"?)

Kyris
8th January 2013, 3:23 PM
I like the X legendary pokemon, it reminds me of some movie scene. (Y isn't bad)

When I first saw it, I instantly thought of Princess Mononoke.

x0MoMusica0x
8th January 2013, 3:23 PM
im not too sold on any of the starters really. i think that its a good thing that i have a year to get used to looking at them, but i hope they wont disappoint me to the point of just ditching them in the PC and leaving them for the lucky field Poke that happens to be much better than they are.

Froakie - im just not feeling it. the frog concept wears thin with me b/c frogs just arent that interesting really. i mean, it looks cute in some ways, but i dont think the evolutionary line is gonna keep me interested. kinda a bummer considering i love nearly all water starters (oshawott is working his way in). i think they're gonna go for the water/fighting mix, but i CRAVE A SPEEDY WATER STARTER. fire/grass got one, so its our turn now (it probably wont though... water isnt know for its speed)

Fennekin - probably the best looking imo. fire/psychic is looking like its ideal typing, but maybe we'll have a pure fire? foxes are known to be mischievous, so maybe fire/dark. looks like its gonna abuse its speed (look at that thin body!) and frailty, my favorite type of Poke. its tops on my list of choices, but only time and stats will tell

Chespin - another unfortunate starter suffering from dorky looks. i really cant get into it, so i'll wait and watch to see if its evolutionary line makes me want it. grass/dark typing imo. i think that it used night slash in the trailer (some moves are really easy to see despite animation). it looks like it'll have some average speed, but grass is know for their speedy frailty, plus it might be dark. i guess waiting and watching is gonna provide me the answers i want.

in digression, i'll probably just get all of them (i like having all the starters in every gen.)

SimH8
8th January 2013, 3:24 PM
Hmmm, rest of the game looks amazing but I'm not too keen on these starters, I guess we'll have to wait for the evo's to be released.

Phoenixfatih
Thoughts on the starters and how they'll evolve:

Chespin will likely gain the dark type, as evidenced by the Night Slash it used in the trailer. I could see it growing into a spiny ninja-like thing. Can't tell if it's supposed to be a bear or a gopher at this point, but basically mammalian, with spikes.

For Fennekin I predict it will gain the psychic type (as evidenced by the in-trailer move), and likely grow basically up. I can see it trending towards an elegant fox, ala Ninetales, but I could also see it going the more lupine route and becoming a large fiery wolf. At the moment, the former seems most likely.

Froakie is the only one I can't predict very well. It looked like it used a fighting type move, and if it gained the fighting type, the type triangle would be inverted, with grass>fire>water, but then dark<psychic<fighting. If so, then Froakie may grow into a fighting type, and judging by the aristocratic collar, I could see him being a gentleman brawler, like a Victorian age boxer. Or, perhaps he'll stay a strictly water type and surprise me.

I love the idea of Chespin. Maybe the spiky helmet will turn into an assasin hoodie-like thing with spikes all over it.

I would like Fennekin to have some dog characteristics while leveling up.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
All three starters look fantastic to me! Fennekin has my favorite design, however I'll choose Chespin as my starter because picking a grass-type starter has always been a tradition for me. I think Froakie is cute and quite hilarious, especially when people mention its name.

Gamblor
Chespin looks absolutely freaking awesome! I think it'll either be Grass/Dark or Grass/Fighting.

VampirateMace
8th January 2013, 3:25 PM
I think these starters are fun, though none of them really scream pick me to me (so I'll probably pick based on evos or moveset). Froakie makes me think of a old man, in the cute little old man, or wise old sage sort of way. Does anyone else get reminded of an armadillo when they see Chespin, aside from the quill/whisker things? I know we have a few fire foxes already, but Fennekin is diffrent from those even, so I imagine it will evolve into something diffrent looking as well.

Thriller
8th January 2013, 3:26 PM
Chespin looks absolutely freaking awesome! I think it'll either be Grass/Dark or Grass/Fighting.

You think a Chipmunk is going to be a Dark type? Not even Simon from the Chipmunks knows how to properly pronounce drug names...

john90
8th January 2013, 3:27 PM
I don't know i feel chespin more like the rattata/sentret/zizagoon/bippa/patrat of the situation..

streetlightdsb
I can't see a fish evolving into an octopus, oh wait.....

Touché. Though Remoraid and Octillery were based on weaponry too, which explains the evolution. How would you explain a Fox>Tiger evolution?

Missingno. Master
Definitely picking Chespin when I get these games. Cute and badass-looking at the same time, what's not to like? Fennekin and Froakie are also pretty cool, but Chespin's definitely my favorite of the trio.

I could see Froakie becoming Water/Ice, and the Ice Beam it uses in the preview doesn't exactly hurt its case. Fennekin will evolve into a Fire/Psychic-type, if it isn't one itself already. As for Chespin, I'm leaning towards Grass/Fighting.

carboncopy
8th January 2013, 3:28 PM
Im just happy that we left the grass and lizard combo. Chespin is a nice fresh.
Thank god for no fire/fighting ( i hope fennekin doesnt evolve into one )

Kalosian
8th January 2013, 3:28 PM
Chespin and Fennekin look great, but I'm not as impressed by Froakie. Although it is likely to grow on me with time which has been the case for starters from previous generations. I don't have a clear favorite of the three at the moment.

Kyris
8th January 2013, 3:29 PM
Touché. Though Remoraid and Octillery were based on weaponry too, which explains the evolution. How would you explain a Fox>Tiger evolution?

I'm sorry, but you realize you're arguing logic, in a video game right? A video game, mind you, where 10 year olds can capture LITERAL GODS! in pocket sized capsule balls.
You don't need to explain how a fox can evolve into a tiger, it just HAPPENS!

streetlightdsb
8th January 2013, 3:29 PM
Wow. What unbelievably ugly Starters...

I can't understand why they have to keep messing up Chipmunks. Not since Ross Bagdassarian Jr. attempted to convince us his walking Groundhogs were Chipmunks had something fail so hard at making a chipmunk creature.

That Fire Fox is pretty cool though. I hope that frog evolves into something epic.
Apparently all of Chespin's international names reference the fact that it's a hedgehog, not a chipmunk.

I'm sorry, but you realize you're arguing logic, in a video game right? A video game, mind you, where 10 year olds can capture LITERAL GODS! in pocket sized capsule balls.
You don't need to explain how a fox can evolve into a tiger, it just HAPPENS!
And yet most, if not all evolutions have had some kind of logic or backstory to them. It may be that this series is complete fantasy, but that doesn't mean the creators do not try to stick to some semblance of logic within their creation.

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 3:30 PM

We'll have to wait and see what theme they'll have.The starters are all about the theme...

thepinkowl
I really hope Froakie has clouds on his back and that his design is inspired by rain clouds, which could lead to a water/flying type combo which would be rally interesting.

Trainer Yusuf
Chespin will likely gain the dark type, as evidenced by the Night Slash it used in the trailer.

It's most likely Aerial Ace. If you look at the video, you see the move is one downwards and one upwards slash, much like Aerial Ace(or more specifically, it's Japanese name, Tsubame Gaeshi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojir%C5%8D))

Poke_Mania97
8th January 2013, 3:31 PM
The fire type seems to fit the trend of Zodiac fire types. Its either meant to represent the Dog or Tiger. Is it me or does the grass one look like a Deku Scrub :S it kind of does. and also the Water type looks like it will evolve into some epic thing! I love the fire type, the best nickname would be FireFox :D

Scammel
It's hit me - stuff my older idea about Froakie, an aristocratic frog is clearly going to be the fabulous Mr Toad!

Crystal Power
Okay I just love all three of the starters! BUT! I think there's something about Chespin. I like more than the others... :)

carboncopy
8th January 2013, 3:32 PM
I think froakie is going to evolve into something badass, just coz i feel sad for it :)

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 3:35 PM
The fire type seems to fit the trend of Zodiac fire types. Its either meant to represent the Dog or Tiger.

I think people simply jumped into conclusions relating Fire and Chinese zodiac, and GF proved those people wrong by introducing a fennec fox Fire starter. Simple as that.

SmartD
I can't figure out what Chespin is supposed to be. Froakie is a frog (obviously), Fennekin is a fox of some sort, but Chespin, I have no idea.

Ver-mont
I can't figure out what Chespin is supposed to be. Froakie is a frog (obviously), Fennekin is a fox of some sort, but Chespin, I have no idea.

Considering its international names, it's a hedgehog.

Hedgehog, fennec fox, frog.

Bolt the Cat
8th January 2013, 3:36 PM
I'm thinking Chespin will be either Grass/Ground or Grass/Fighting and Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic. IDK about Froakie, though, it could be just about anything.

I'm sigging this.

rocky505
8th January 2013, 3:37 PM
The fire type seems to fit the trend of Zodiac fire types. Its either meant to represent the Dog or Tiger. Is it me or does the grass one look like a Deku Scrub :S it kind of does. and also the Water type looks like it will evolve into some epic thing! I love the fire type, the best nickname would be FireFox :D

I could see the possibility of it counting for a dog since Foxes are canine, but this actually cancels the Zodiac trend people mention.

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 3:40 PM
Yeah,it might represent the dog in the chinese zodiac^^

Nyter
8th January 2013, 3:43 PM
Well I like em all... Though I really wish they would use other types as starters!

Chespin seems like my favorite BUT I am one to collect em all SO I would actually have to trade for all 3 to be in one game therefore I am calling out to anyone who wants to be my trading host. I will trade u 2 other starters u don't choose as long as u trade me back 2 other starters I didn't choose :)

NeoDude-5000
8th January 2013, 3:45 PM
Yeah,it might represent the dog in the chinese zodiac^^

Or its Fox appearance is simply its base form at first, then it evolves into a Tiger or something fox-like but different. Remember Oshawott started as a Sea Otter before evolving into a Sea Lion as Samurott. So Fennekin or maybe the other 2 might follow the same path.

Ditto B1tch
8th January 2013, 3:46 PM
I liked all them. Here my notes about each one.

Chespin reminds me Dewott (a grass version of it). I didn't notice what animal were it based, its feet are like armadillo, but its face like rodent. And the fact it is bipedal suggests that it could be also fighting type in its final stage.

Froakie is a surprise for me. We have lot of frogs in Pokemon world, but none as starter yet. It seems thin and light, maybe it will not be slow and defensive like the previous water starters.

Fennekin is very cute, probably the best design of the three. For it I just hope it won't be fire/fighting in its final stage. Also, I would like if it was kept quadrupidal in all its stages.

ludiloco
8th January 2013, 3:46 PM
Damn I guess I'll go for the Water starter again, but it'll all depend on the evolutions.

The foxx looks cool too.

I don't like the grass type that much.

carboncopy
8th January 2013, 3:47 PM
Im want to see how the starters are given to you. I hope its just not some random proff just gifting it to you. maybe like rse or dppt.

Shraeder
8th January 2013, 3:48 PM
In the trailer, it looks like Chespin uses a move with similar animation to Aerial Ace, while Fennekin uses a Fire type move, and Froakkie uses a Fighting type move. So I'm guessing Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic while Froakkie is Water/Fighting. Not sure about Chespin though.

I think I'll use Froakkie. I dislike Chespin, but Fennekin is pretty cool though.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 3:49 PM
Well I like em all... Though I really wish they would use other types as starters!

The only perfect triangle is Grass/Fire/Water.

Well, and Fighting/Flying/Rock iirc, but I can't see a pure Flying starter.

Liefesa
8th January 2013, 3:50 PM
It will probably depend on the evolutions which one I end up choosing... As said above, I really hope Fennekin doesn't become Fire/Fighting!

I think that Chespin looks the most "pokemon-like" - the most similar to the existing style of creatures maybe?

mitchman_93
These starters are amazing, amazing I say! Loved them from the start, and I can't wait to use Chespin. Their evolutions will also be very interesting:
Chespin's likely to get spikier. Perhaps a warhammer like protusion on its tail for the final evolution? I'm thinking it could go for a Grass/Ground typing, and really give it some edge.
Fennekin is probably just gonna be a bigger Fennekin, but with Psychic. Seems like a perfect fit, and its probably time to put psychic on a starter.
Froakie with a french mustache and poofy hair thank you very much. Gonna go for pure water or water/fighting, just to screw with the fandom.

;D

cuchifru
Froakie is my favourite. I always choose the water starter (well I didnt choose Oshawott). I really like water types. Chespin looks normal and Fennekin its just not my type... I dont know why so many people like it...

Froakie>Chispin>Fennekin for me

Platinum fan.
8th January 2013, 3:51 PM
Starter wise from the trailer, Fennekin and Froakkie look like the best to me. I love frogs so Froakkie will be the Pokemon I choose. The Water starters (Minus Mudkip and Oshawott) have always been super amazing for me. Not always my favorite as with Totodile (I like Cyndaquil a little more) but I always love their designs most of the time. Froakkie looks great. I can't wait to use one.

carboncopy
8th January 2013, 3:52 PM
I think Im starting to like froakie. Maybe go with that, I bet it will give big returns as a i think it will become badass.
I think these are the best starters of any gen ( maybe even beats kanto ).

Firebrand
8th January 2013, 3:52 PM
So, we can all say that if they make Fennekin a fire/fighting type, we take to the streets in an angry mob, right?

TommoChap
8th January 2013, 3:53 PM
If you watch the trailer again you'll see that Fennekin is most likely a Fire/Psychic type. Froakie a Water/Dark type (look at the colour of their moves) and Chispin possibly Grass/Rock or Fighting?

Oshakpop
8th January 2013, 3:53 PM
Is it just me that thinks that really.. Ninetales would make a perfect Fennekin evolution looks wise in a way? Can't get it out of my head now.

For the first time I actually love all three starters. Although right now I can imagine all their final stages looking similar to that of already existing Pokémon...

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 3:54 PM
So, we can all say that if they make Fennekin a fire/fighting type, we take to the streets in an angry mob, right?

People will die!

But I doubt they'll repeat that ridiculous type combo

Kyris
8th January 2013, 3:55 PM
People will die!

that's what I said when gen five was announced, and look what happened. LOOK, WHAT, HAPPENED!

Kariachi
Guys guys guys!

First, grass/steel chestnut/hedghog? Totally an idea I can get behind.

Second, I don't care what Froakie becomes as long as he stays on all fours. I am tired of all these bipedal frogs in this otherwise good game!

Third, decided to see how foxes are represented in mythology to see what Fennekin could become. We've got the trickster archtype covered in Zorua and Zoroark. Vulpix and Ninetails cover kitsune and have always been associated with psychic moves and illusions, so the mystical is covered. But guys, guys, in at least one culture foxes are messengers for the gods. And she looks so svelte, and has those bits on her legs like other messengers in mythology!

Fire/Flying fox, people!!

DFang
Froakie is based off a tree frog. Froth+croak. Tree frogs have frothy bubble-nests in trees that hang above water.

I'm hoping for water/fighting, but I guess that's been done by amphibians before...

tedturtle
I think they gave us hints to what the starters might be later on as far as type goes. The video clearly had the starter pokemon do an attack to another pokemon that is weak against the attack. So I guess Chespin is going to be Grass/Dark, Fennekin is Fire/Ghost(I'm not a hundred percent on this but it would give a slight edge if Froakie does learn Fighting moves), Froakie is Water/Fighting (I think the glasses are more wise martial artist than I'm smart plus it was doing a physical move against a normal type)

Chingchar
8th January 2013, 3:57 PM
Am I the only one that sees Fennekin as a Lynx it explains the fur in the ears, the fur on the face and the bushy tail also it's Dutch name is Fynx also in chinese zodiac it could count as the cat.

ebevan91
8th January 2013, 3:58 PM
I swear if Fennekin becomes a bipedal fire/fighting type...

Well, any fire/fighting type really.

Chespin (dark)
Fennekin (psychic)
Froakie (fighting)

Now we have a secondary rock paper scissors.

ebevan91
8th January 2013, 3:59 PM
WTF for some reason lately this site has been causing me problems. I keep double-posting like crazy.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 3:59 PM
Am I the only one that sees Fennekin as a Lynx it explains the fur in the ears, the fur on the face and the bushy tail also it's Dutch name is Fynx also in chinese zodiac it could count as the cat.

Its very name indicates it's a fennec fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennec_fox) (which has fur in the ears).

Sarefan
8th January 2013, 4:00 PM
Fennekin look like a Fekkec Fox tbh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennec_fox
And btw: Lynx is its German name, not Dutch. In Belgium and Holland, we just take the English names :3

poix_the_yak
8th January 2013, 4:00 PM
I just think this belongs here

http://i.imgur.com/RQKXQ.png

It's a MOUSE FROG. Hope I didn't ruin it for you.

Kyris
8th January 2013, 4:01 PM
I just had a thought.
fire/psychic, grass/fighting, water/dark?

I can't really justify water/dark, but fennekin is almost, like 98.99% to be fire/psychic, that said, if their subtypes are psychic>fighting>dark it keeps the triangle for both their main and sub types.

AuraChannelerChris
8th January 2013, 4:01 PM
Oh, I've never seen a Fennec fox before.

I think this generation is going to make me choose the fire-starter for once.

Sarefan
8th January 2013, 4:02 PM
I just think this belongs here

http://i.imgur.com/RQKXQ.png

It's a MOUSE FROG. Hope I didn't ruin it for you.
Hahaha, that is hilarious!

Tavo_Zx
8th January 2013, 4:03 PM
Guys guys guys!

First, grass/steel chestnut/hedghog? Totally an idea I can get behind.

Second, I don't care what Froakie becomes as long as he stays on all fours. I am tired of all these bipedal frogs in this otherwise good game!

Third, decided to see how foxes are represented in mythology to see what Fennekin could become. We've got the trickster archtype covered in Zorua and Zoroark. Vulpix and Ninetails cover kitsune and have always been associated with psychic moves and illusions, so the mystical is covered. But guys, guys, in at least one culture foxes are messengers for the gods. And she looks so svelte, and has those bits on her legs like other messengers in mythology!

Grass/Steel would be really cool IMO. It would instantly turn Chespin into an awesome starter.

I bet that Froakie will become Water/Fighting for its second and third stage. It gives me the impression that it will.

As for Fennekin (damn I love that name), I don't really see it becoming a Fire/Flying. I think that it will end up as a pure Fire type, or maybe Fire/Psychic.

Takaru
8th January 2013, 4:04 PM
This is the first time I've liked all the starters since Gen II! I'm loving the designs of the Pokemon. I'll go with the Fire/Dark, Grass/Fighting, Water/Psychic theory though, since each type would trump its weakness with its second type.

Oshawotter
8th January 2013, 4:04 PM
I'm just loving Fennekin! I'm definatley choosing Fennekin for his Generation!

yifle1
8th January 2013, 4:05 PM
The only one i find decent of them is the fire starter

Firebrand
8th January 2013, 4:07 PM
People will die!

That's what we said when Gen 4 came around. And then Gen V arrived, and we thought "no way will we have another fire/fighting!" And then... we... DID!

Kariachi
8th January 2013, 4:09 PM
Another thought (because I seriously don't like the idea of Fire/Psychic, it would just make her too much like Ninetales for me), Fennec foxes are desert dwellers, right?

Fire/Ground maybe?

~Silver Aura~
8th January 2013, 4:10 PM
I can't believe it! Gen 6 already?! WOW! Anyway on topic my opinion on the starters:

Chespin: OMG SO CUTE!!!! I think I found my starter choice already!

Fennekin: A fox like starter?...Yeah I'm good with that, just please don't make it ANOTHER Fire/fighting evo GameFreak, I beg you!

Froakie: It's.....interesting, but still pretty cute.

So overall a nice set of starters. Let's hope their evos are even more/just as epic!

Battra
I'll be starting with Fennekin, but Chespin looks interesting to. Froakie & Fennekin both have a minimalistic design to them that's always nice for enticing new people into the franchise. Looking forward to trying the Chipmunk, Fox, & Frog.

Ver-mont
That's what we said when Gen 4 came around. And then Gen V arrived, and we thought "no way will we have another fire/fighting!" And then... we... DID!

Well, let's all hope ourselves better luck this time. I hope it's part Psychic or Dark or Ghost.

c4tman
they all look great ^^ i love chespin
btw i've made a drawing for them
check this out: http://c4tman.deviantart.com/art/pokemon-VI-starters-DERP-DERP-347402634

and the legendaries: http://c4tman.deviantart.com/art/POKEMON-Y-X-legendaries-347412559

Kieran-kun
8th January 2013, 4:11 PM
I'm blown away! These games looks awesome.

My guesses for the Starters final typing are:
Chespin - Grass and Dark
Fennekin - Fire and Psychic
Froakie - Water and Fighting

These games look to be amazing and I'm really happy about the Worldwide release date for October 2013!

Jigglypuff5000
8th January 2013, 4:13 PM
Well, let's all hope ourselves better luck this time. I hope it's part Psychic or Dark or Ghost.

Yeah, I hope all the starters have one of the 'exotic' typings in their final form.

I'm going Team Firefox myself [which definitely cannot be Fire/Fighting - please].

aa_623
8th January 2013, 4:14 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to revise my sig pic soon lol I'm definitely leaning more towards Fennekin despite it basically being the love child of Vulpix and Zorua, but I swear if by some reason it becomes Fire/Fighting I will lose it. Definitely think it has a high chance of being Fire/Psychic, but I'll settle for anything else except it being just a Fire type, then it would be Ninetails unless it loses its vulpine characteristics.

Also, here's to our first mammalian Grass starter!

Not sure about the frog yet lol

I'm definitely all for this:
Chespin - Grass and Dark
Fennekin - Fire and Psychic
Froakie - Water and Fighting

Kieran-kun
8th January 2013, 4:17 PM
I feel sorry for Froakie, I think I'll choose it I like it's design and I bet it's final evolution will look extremely cool. Plus it doesn't hurt to get the upper hand on all those choosing Fennekin. ;)

Skycross
8th January 2013, 4:18 PM
I am hoping Fennekin is NOT for the love of everything sacred, a Fire and Fighting type. I just... can't anymore. However, the other two look mighty interesting as well. More so Chespin.

Liefesa
8th January 2013, 4:19 PM
Froakie looks like a pre-volution of Seismitoad...

I've always taken the fire starter since Charmander. A new secondary type would be nice!

co918
8th January 2013, 4:22 PM
Exactly what I thought,lol.Would be awesome to see if they incorporate a huge wig on its evos^^
Kinda similar to jellicent's (male) mustache, eh? :P

OrcaCity
8th January 2013, 4:23 PM
I'm personally hoping for Fennekin to be a Fire/Ghost type though it will probably be Fire/Psychic. Either way is fine with me, but I prefer Fire/Ghost

Raguna
8th January 2013, 4:23 PM
This might be the first time since Gen 2 that a fire starter has caught my eyes. Fennec foxes are awesome creatures, just dying to see Fennekin evolutions!
Froakie looks cool, even though I have an idea on how his evolutions will turn out... (really want him to not go bipedal...)
Chespin... an interesting one indeed. I have no idea on how his evolutions will turn out, but I gotta say, if he really does turn into a grass/steel, it would make him a viable choice for me, also!

trident20
8th January 2013, 4:24 PM
i like them all, and i wish i could see the final stages

i think the battle scenes look awesome and i wonder how this will effect wifi battling, and if there will be a pokemon transfer system

Monster Guy
8th January 2013, 4:24 PM
If Femikin evolves into a Kitsune, I'm gonna be pissed. You never see a regular fox anymore. It's always a Kitsune. >_>

smartie
8th January 2013, 4:28 PM
I don't get why everyone hates Froakie, he's supercute. I personally think the grass one looks like it's in the wrong Nintendo game, doesn't feel pokemon at all :x .

trident20
8th January 2013, 4:29 PM
the grass one does look weird

Firebrand
8th January 2013, 4:31 PM
Another thought (because I seriously don't like the idea of Fire/Psychic, it would just make her too much like Ninetales for me), Fennec foxes are desert dwellers, right?

Fire/Ground maybe?

Ninetales isn't fire/psychic. It can learn psychic and extrasensory, but it isn't a psychic type. The only fire/psychic we've had was Victini.

GalladeofSpades
8th January 2013, 4:33 PM
I am, most definetley, choosing Chespin. It is goddamn adorable. Besides, I don't really like Fennekin or Froakie. If I actuall HAD to choose between those latter two, Fennekin. I just don't like Froakie. It reminds me of the Seismitoad line, and I HATED that evolution line SO MUCH.

co918
im not too sold on any of the starters really. i think that its a good thing that i have a year to get used to looking at them, but i hope they wont disappoint me to the point of just ditching them in the PC and leaving them for the lucky field Poke that happens to be much better than they are.

Froakie - im just not feeling it. the frog concept wears thin with me b/c frogs just arent that interesting really. i mean, it looks cute in some ways, but i dont think the evolutionary line is gonna keep me interested. kinda a bummer considering i love nearly all water starters (oshawott is working his way in). i think they're gonna go for the water/fighting mix, but i CRAVE A SPEEDY WATER STARTER. fire/grass got one, so its our turn now (it probably wont though... water isnt know for its speed)

Fennekin - probably the best looking imo. fire/psychic is looking like its ideal typing, but maybe we'll have a pure fire? foxes are known to be mischievous, so maybe fire/dark. looks like its gonna abuse its speed (look at that thin body!) and frailty, my favorite type of Poke. its tops on my list of choices, but only time and stats will tell

Chespin - another unfortunate starter suffering from dorky looks. i really cant get into it, so i'll wait and watch to see if its evolutionary line makes me want it. grass/dark typing imo. i think that it used night slash in the trailer (some moves are really easy to see despite animation). it looks like it'll have some average speed, but grass is know for their speedy frailty, plus it might be dark. i guess waiting and watching is gonna provide me the answers i want.

in digression, i'll probably just get all of them (i like having all the starters in every gen.)

Particularly the part about water types not being known for speed, dw sharpedo would like to have a word about that :P

Silverevilchao
Wow, this has to be one of the first times in a while where I blatantly loved another starter far more than the Grass one I always choose. I might have to break the pattern and go with Fennekin this time...I honestly don't like rodent designs very much (it's the buck teeth, something about them freaks me out for some reason), but if the final Grass evo is awesome I might just go with it anyway despite my misgivings about the initial form.

I honestly hope Froakie goes a completely different route than Seismitoad. Maybe they should've made THAT one the Grass starter (tree frog?), for the sake of variety between gens.

Pasque
8th January 2013, 4:34 PM
I have to admit this is the first gen where I find the starters to look bizarre/out of place.
Froakie has a bit of a toon look goin' on.
And Fennekin's head looks uncomfortably out of proportion to its body =/
They'll definitely take some getting use to~

Chespin might be the one for me, which works out well since I tend to choose Grass type starters~

Locormus
8th January 2013, 4:36 PM
the grass one does look weird

Nah, Conkeldurr looks weird..

So.. I kinda wanted to bring up to issue of fidelity and Japanese names.. With this worldwide stream, most of us have, since a long time, started naming pokemon by their English names on first notice!

When Dp came out, most of us used names like Naetoru/Naetle, Hikozaru, Muku.Bird, etc.. Then came BW, and Tsutaja, Pokabu, Chaobuu, Daikenki, Mijumaru became the names used, and only when their English localizations came up, did some start to call them Oshawott, Snivy, etc..

I've seen nobody use the Japanese names yet, and quite frankly, I doubt that 50 percent of the people in this thread even know them:
- Keromatsu: Froakie
- Fokko: Fennekin
- Harimaron: Chespin

trident20
8th January 2013, 4:37 PM
honestly i think they are all cool.

i feel bad for people without a 3ds....

codybriana
8th January 2013, 4:38 PM
Those look good, but I think you have the legendaries mixed. The flying red one represents Y, and the deer one represents X. But the drawings look excellent!

Ver-mont
So.. I kinda wanted to bring up to issue of fidelity and Japanese names.. With this worldwide stream, most of us have, since a long time, started naming pokemon by their English names on first notice!

When Dp came out, most of us used names like Naetoru/Naetle, Hikozaru, Muku.Bird, etc.. Then came BW, and Tsutaja, Pokabu, Chaobuu, Daikenki, Mijumaru became the names used, and only when their English localizations came up, did some start to call them Oshawott, Snivy, etc..

I've seen nobody use the Japanese names yet, and quite frankly, I doubt that 50 percent of the people in this thread even know them:
- Keromatsu: Froakie
- Fokko: Fennekin
- Harimaron: Chespin

Oh, that's another great thing about this worldwide release: we won't have to learn all the Japanese names and then take a long time to get used to the Western names when they finally come out. As you said, most of us didn't even know the Japanese names for the new starters.

AuraChannelerChris
honestly i think they are all cool.

i feel bad for people without a 3ds....

If anything, this new gen is going to sell the 3DS like crazy.

rocky505
8th January 2013, 4:40 PM
Inb4 Chespin's shiny form is blue. I mean it seems to be based on a porcupine/Hedgehog.

Silverevilchao
8th January 2013, 4:40 PM
If anything, this new gen is going to sell the 3DS like crazy.

Yeah. I'm on the Sega of America forums, and I've always postulated that the Pokemon games are always what leads to the Nintendo handhelds winning...and now people over there are already joking about "getting the hammer and the nails" for the PSVita.

7 tyranitars
8th January 2013, 4:42 PM
The grass and fire one seems nice. I don't know if I will like the frog.

Please Gamefreak no fire/fightning start please!

For the first time in a while I really like the fire starter.

Snorunt conservationist
8th January 2013, 4:42 PM
Fennekin is absolutely badass. Definitely my favourite so far. Froakie probably the least so, which isn't to say he's bad.

I'm not one to predict secondary types so much (because I'm almost always wrong), but my initial thoughts are that Froakie will probably stay the same, or may even develop a water/grass combo. As for Fennekin and his/her "psychic" attack, it is worth pointing out that I think he/she was fighting a Ralts at that moment. Could just be a reversal/mirror coat move? Doesn't immediately suggest psychic.

cookies kill you
8th January 2013, 4:43 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah I think this year I'm getting myself a new console *cough* 3DS does anyone think that the price will drop for it because I wanna know when the best time will be to get it since I'm not all that interested in paying $40 for other games just yet

Axel.
8th January 2013, 4:44 PM
Particularly the part about water types not being known for speed, dw sharpedo would like to have a word about that :P

It'a not so much water pokemon but water starters. Until today all of them have been either slow or average but none of them was fast. Froakie may be an exception.

Griff4815
8th January 2013, 4:45 PM
Eh, I'm not too excited about any of the starters yet. The grass type looks like a Piplup/Oshawott clone. I'm more partial towards the frog. I'll wait for the evos though.

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 4:45 PM
If Femikin evolves into a Kitsune, I'm gonna be pissed. You never see a regular fox anymore. It's always a Kitsune. >_>

I hope it's more complex than that^^maybe they'll tap into some other legends

BeneathTheWaves
8th January 2013, 4:46 PM
I hope whatever Fennekein evolves into is equally as awesome or I will be disappointed.
Chespin's head looks odd to me though, the green spikes are strange.
Froakie is cute, I think it will be a Water/Fighting type just like Poliwhirl

yeabuddy46
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before because I have not yet taken the time to read all 9 pages of posts, but I believe that Chespin's evolutions will either be pure Grass or possibly Grass/Steel as hedgehogs/porcupines have obvious means of defense and it seems to fit. As for Fennekin, I believe its evolutions could be Fire/Ground or Fire/Rock because Fennec foxes are native to desert regions and Rock or Ground could mirror that effectively. Lastly, Froakie's evolutions could take a couple different paths: staying pure Water, becoming Water/Psychic because frogs/toads are synonymous with witches and wizards and Froakie's "spectacles" could also point towards this connection, and possibly Water/Poison if the designers took a poison dart frog approach, though this option seems the least likely of the three because I think Forakie would be a lot more colorful if it were to represent a poison dart frog.

Unova Hustler
That cute little blue frog is the best. Froakie is adorable.

Hilijix
8th January 2013, 4:47 PM
I tried to resist myself from this Pokemon surprise, but Youtube just happened to spoil it, so... Geez, Gen 6 came faster than I thought it would. The people who predicted a new region were... right. Anyhow, opinions:

I can totally see me using Chespin. That happy smile is just so... happy. Also was that a Dark type move I saw it use in the trailer? Hmm...

Fennekin makes sense. They base the Fire type starters off of the Chinese zodiac, but I didn't think they'd use a fox again. Vulpix and Ninetales have competition... I do like Fennekin though, probably the most out of the three. Looks quiet AND SHE HAS FIRE IN HER EARS. The one thing I'm hoping for is for the love of all that is good, please don't become a Fire/Fighting type! This guy looks like it would use more Special attacks than Fire ones, so it doesn't look like the case.

Froakie! So fun to say. Just as fun to say as Loki! Froakie! That's it, naming my first Froakie, Loki. Or maybe just Frog. I've been playing Chrono Trigger for the first time recently and I've gotten that connection. Why does he have a white hood? He has like a white thing on him. For those comparing him to the other Water frogs, this guy already starts as a frog, not a tadpole, so we'll see what he becomes. My prediction is that it will just stay pure Water.

Tavo_Zx
8th January 2013, 4:47 PM
Fennekin is absolutely badass. Definitely my favourite so far. Froakie probably the least so, which isn't to say he's bad.

I'm not one to predict secondary types so much (because I'm almost always wrong), but my initial thoughts are that Froakie will probably stay the same, or may even develop a water/grass combo. As for Fennekin and his/her "psychic" attack, it is worth pointing out that I think he/she was fighting a Ralts at that moment. Could just be a reversal/mirror coat move? Doesn't immediately suggest psychic.

I dont think that a starter would get a second typing that is the same as one of the other starters. Froakie looks like it can end up being pure Water, Water/Fighting (Journey to the west reference, like Infernape and Emboar) or Water/Ice.

I still support the idea that Fennekin (I will never get tired of that name) will end up as Fire/Psychic.

Ash6K
8th January 2013, 4:49 PM
I think I'm most intrigued by Froakie. After having the Poliwag line and Tympole line, I'm curious to see how Froakie and its evos will differ in terms of what its evos will look like, its typing, and its moveset.

I'm also curious to see how Chespin will evolve. It's pretty cute looking now but if its partially based on a porcupine/hedgehog, I'm interested to see what it'll become. It might be more fierce looking as it'll evolve.

It seems that Fennekin seems like a popular pokemon right off the bat. To be honest, it's not my personal favorite. It looks like a cool pokemon and I like it. It's just that I feel like it's a pokemon that I'm not as curious about as the others.

Overall, a nice looking bunch of starters. Now we just have to wait for their actual typings and even further down the road, wait for their evolutions.

Firebrand
8th January 2013, 4:49 PM
Oh, that's another great thing about this worldwide release: we won't have to learn all the Japanese names and then take a long time to get used to the Western names when they finally come out. As you said, most of us didn't even know the Japanese names for the new starters.

And best of all, we won't have people insisting on calling Fennekin Fokko, Chespin Harimaron and Froakie Keromatsu, because "those are the names we learned first!"

AuraChannelerChris
8th January 2013, 4:50 PM
Just watch as Game Freak finds some unbelievable excuse to give Fennekin's evolutions...A FIGHTING TYPING.

SilverFox
One again, the grass starter looks the least appealing to me. It's like they want me to always pick the water or fire starter. Fennekin is my favorite one this gen. And the one I will pick first.

Silverevilchao
Just watch as Game Freak finds some unbelievable excuse to give Fennekin's evolutions...A FIGHTING TYPING.

Laughing maniacally all the while xD

Fire Stone
8th January 2013, 4:51 PM
Usually I always go water-type on the first version I start, since I buy both.
It's usually a toss-up between grass-type and fire-type for the second version I play.
NOW, I may start with fire-type Fennekin. It's the odds-on favorite and although I'm not particularly impressed with Froakie -- I'm sure it'll look better after it evolves.
Usually the grass-types are average and fire-type is the let down...but, Chespin I just can't find any appeal in...
So it's all Fennekin/Froakie for me.

Sarefan
8th January 2013, 4:51 PM
And best of all, we won't have people insisting on calling Fennekin Fokko, Chespin Harimaron and Froakie Keromatsu, because "those are the names we learned first!"
I wonder of the other Pokémon that will be revealed have their international names with them too, or just their Japanese names. Like the evolutions of the starters, the typical regional bird, the Pseudo Legend, etc etc.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 4:54 PM

Don't even joke about that. I'd love to choose Fennekin, but I'll start to completely ignore its existence if it's given a Fire/Fighting evolution.

Tavo_Zx
8th January 2013, 4:54 PM

I know people complain about how we have had Fire/Fighting starters for 3 gens, but it actually isn't bad. Fighting is one of the only types that a Fire type can be paired up and don't get screwed up. Imagine if Fennekin ended up as a Fire/Rock, it would totally be screwed.

Xweek
8th January 2013, 4:55 PM
Not too fond of any of the starters this time around, but I'll probably end up picking Froakie. First time I've picked something other than grass since gen 2, in fact.

Ver-mont
I know people complain about how we have had Fire/Fighting starters for 3 gens, but it actually isn't bad. Fighting is one of the only types that a Fire type can be paired up and don't get screwed up. Imagine if Fennekin ended up as a Fire/Rock, it would totally be screwed.

The problem is that we're getting that same combination multiple times in a row. It got tired and boring, as you see with everyone asking for it not to happen again.

It also prevents other interesting combinations, both for the Fire starter and for others (Dewott and Samurott would have been perfect Water/Fighting starters).

gliscor&yanmega
I'm not sure what to really think about the whole Dark/Psychic/Fighting secondary types for he starters, I do want them as it appears many do and expect it to be but I'm pretty sure it was like this last time too. Wasn't it a very popular idea that Oshawott would end up Water/Fighting due to it's evolutions and all, and showing to have Revenge, yet it ended up just being Water.

In terms of evolutions I can see:
Chespin-Hood thingy being expanded on. Tail being a lot more different. Maybe it'll get some claws, unless it's going to be a slapper. I see it having the same kind of body shape throughout.
Fennekin-Those tuffs(Or whatever they'd be called) in it's ears I defiantly see being expanded on, maybe even end up being actual fire...although maybe that would be a little much, but hey, at least it can honestly say "My ears are burning". I think it's tail could also maybe burst into flames(The whole thing is just going to be one giant fire fur ball). I imagine it's body being leaner(Something like Virizion's body shape, just even thinner).
Froakie-Whatever that thing on it's back is, it's getting expanded on. Maybe it's nose or whatever that is will get expanded on too. I see it getting bulkier upon evolving.

Zorgaz
8th January 2013, 4:56 PM
Cool to see a grass starter that's based on a mammal for once! Can't say i really like any of the new starters (yet), but time usually solves that. Excited to see their evolutions and type! Glad we probably won't be seeing Fire/Fighting. Fire/Psychic would be really cool. Those white balls in front of Froakies eyes remind me of small glasses, he looks like a intelligent Pokemon somehow.

Happy my bro got me a 3DS this Christmas, guess I'll have to get him one now.

Locormus
8th January 2013, 4:56 PM
I dont think that a starter would get a second typing that is the same as one of the other starters. Froakie looks like it can end up being pure Water, Water/Fighting (Journey to the west reference, like Infernape and Emboar) or Water/Ice.

I still support the idea that Fennekin (I will never get tired of that name) will end up as Fire/Psychic.

I like the Japanese name better: FOKKO! Froakie's just freaky.. I like it! xD

Sparkbeat
8th January 2013, 4:57 PM
Based purely on looks, I'd say we're getting a grass/fighting, water/ground, and a plain fire type, but possibly fire/psychic. And I'll be getting Fennekin.

ShinyLucario
So I'm pretty sure I'll go with Fennekin for my main game and Chespin for my secondary (I always get both versions). Nothing wrong with Froakie, its a unique Pokemon, but I'm not as enticed by it as I am by Fennekin and Chespin. I'm sure millions are already planning to nick name Fennekin Mozilla. XD

AuraChannelerChris
I like the Japanese name better: FOKKO! Froakie's just freaky.. I like it! xD

Fennekin's starting to be called Mozilla Firefox.

Also, dear god, those artists at DeviantArt are fast.

[ACE] Zero
8th January 2013, 4:58 PM
Froakie is ehh, Chespin is Ok but I will definetly be using Fennekin. I will get both versions to have all the Pokemon amd whatnot....October can't come soon enough. I just hope they continue this new Simultaneous release method..

YellowHat's Revenge
I love how people are jumping all over the Dark/Psychic/Fighting secondary triangle again. Happens every generation without fail.
I s'pose anything is possible.

I like this batch. So much more than I liked the last batch. And the fourth gen's less-than-exciting starters are long forgotten at this point.

That said, I base my starter choice off of the final evolution. Or I have in the past, not sure if I'm gonna follow spoilers this year. S'gonna be difficult. haha.

deoxysdude94
I absolutely love the starters! The water type may be similar to the tympole line, but that doesn't really bother me. It still looks amazing!

Kurloz Makara
8th January 2013, 4:59 PM
...Am I the only one who WOULDN'T mind if Fennekin turns out to be Fire/Fighting? Honestly, typing means nothing to me regarding starters. All of you are kinda overreacting, truthfully. -_-

Dr. Steve
8th January 2013, 5:00 PM
I will have to agree with anyone saying the Fire/Fighting combination needs to stop. Its been done to death. So far out of these 3 designs I'm not really digging Chespin all that much but Froakie and Fenneken both look adorable! I think my favorite has to be Froakie out of the 3.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 5:00 PM
Fennekin's starting to be called Mozilla Firefox.

Also, dear god, those artists at DeviantArt are fast.

I was astonished by the sheer amount of Fennekin artwork they were able to produce in three hours. That's jawdropping.

Takaru
8th January 2013, 5:01 PM
I could totally see Froakie getting some type of Prince looking evolution line.

sparkedglory
I keep thinking that Chespin is going to be Grass/Fighting he looks like he could throw a punch or two.

TsukiMirage
Gotta say all three starters look interesting, but gonna wait til we get an idea of their evolutions before deciding which one I prefer.

Zero38
8th January 2013, 5:03 PM
Fofo's Evolution has to be Fire/Psychic.

Tavo_Zx
8th January 2013, 5:03 PM
...Am I the only one who WOULDN'T mind if Fennekin turns out to be Fire/Fighting? Honestly, typing means nothing to me regarding starters. All of you are kinda overreacting, truthfully. -_-

You're not the only one, I wouldn't mind it either. But Fennekin (^^) looks like the perfect candidate for Fire/Psychic IMO.

Kariachi
8th January 2013, 5:05 PM
Ninetales isn't fire/psychic. It can learn psychic and extrasensory, but it isn't a psychic type. The only fire/psychic we've had was Victini.

I never said it was, but it's always had a mystical/psychic undertone, at least for me (yes, I am one of those people who, at the start, was amazed that Ninetales was a pure-type). I'd like to see them mix it up a little more. Flying and Ground can both work as secondary typings given mythology and biology, and if we go with the theory that Fennekin was just mirroring a psychic move used by the ralts, well, Mirror Move is a flying attack...

Malcolm Belmont
Personally i love all three but the fire one is the best

rocky505
...Am I the only one who WOULDN'T mind if Fennekin turns out to be Fire/Fighting? Honestly, typing means nothing to me regarding starters. All of you are kinda overreacting, truthfully. -_- No one is overreacting. Not having a fire starter that isn't part fighting for over 10 years is atrocious(Not counting remakes). If GF wanted Fire pokemon to be to handle rock types then they could've used Fire/Ground or Fire/Steel instead of 2 more fire/fighting types.

gliscor&yanmega
8th January 2013, 5:09 PM
I absolutely love the starters! The water type may be similar to the tympole line, but that doesn't really bother me. It still looks amazing!

It's not really even that similar, aside from being based on Frogs and that, they look very different still. Water is a logical choice for a Frog based creature too.

I see Froakie being overall different from Tympole's and Tadpole's lines, aside from having Water type in common(Maybe a secondary type too depending on if it gets one or not and what it is).

I wouldn't say anyone is overreacting(Maybe some people are, there's always going to be people who overreacting to something though). But the thing is, there's been three Fire/Fighting starters in a row, it's pretty understandable that people would get tired of it. Some people just like diversity or just don't like repetitiveness, nothing wrong with that so long as people don't take things to far.

I wouldn't have any real issue with it being Fire/Fighting, but I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed. I would rather have something different for once.

Zero38
8th January 2013, 5:10 PM
Personally i love all three but the fire one is the best

Fofo's cuter than your flareon :p

I can see the grass starter evolving into a grass/dark pokemon, and water... um... water/fighting or just water

Wadeledge
8th January 2013, 5:12 PM
I like them all but will probably choose Froakie or Chespin, altough I do quite like Fennekin. Wonder what the names are derived from that would give a vague idea on typing...

Xweek
8th January 2013, 5:12 PM
I've posted these on another forum, but I might as well throw these up here because...well, it's the Pokemon forum.

Chespin - Chestnut and Pin

Fennekin - Fennec and Kindle

Froakie - One part is Frog, other part is either Croak or Cloak.

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 5:13 PM
I could totally see Froakie getting some type of Prince looking evolution line.

Frog turning into a prince?AWESOME!!!

Tavo_Zx
8th January 2013, 5:14 PM
Fofo's cuter than your flareon :p

I can see the grass starter evolving into a grass/dark pokemon, and water... um... water/fighting or just water

Water/Fighting seems logical for Froakie.

As for Chespin, Grass/Dark typing seems adequate too. Although with that typing its line would be incredibly similar to Seedot's line.

ebevan91
I have a feeling Mozilla will be a very popular nickname for Fennekin.

As for Chespin, Grass/Dark typing seems adequate too. Although with that typing its line would be incredibly similar to Seedot's line.

Well, if it is grass/dark, one can only hope that its movepool isn't as god-awful as the Seedot line.

Nibbles4Ever
I like fennekin the most but froakie isn't bad either. The grass one is um... interesting o.O

AuraChannelerChris
8th January 2013, 5:16 PM
Frog turning into a prince?AWESOME!!!

I can totally see that happening. This is an European-based region.

It's just fitting that the frog evolves into a prince of sorts.

Nacreous
8th January 2013, 5:16 PM
I have a feeling Mozilla will be a very popular nickname for Fennekin.

Wich is stupid cuz we already have a fire fox...since gen 1>.>

Wadeledge
8th January 2013, 5:17 PM
I've posted these on another forum, but I might as well throw these up here because...well, it's the Pokemon forum.

Chespin - Chestnut and Pin

Fennekin - Fennec and Kindle

Froakie - One part is Frog, other part is either Croak or Cloak.
Thanks man!

Andraste
8th January 2013, 5:17 PM
Fennekin is adorable and I've already chosen it. Unless I really hate its final form. I will be happy with anything that's not Fire/Fighting. (This is a rut that GameFreak need to get out of.)

Froakie is pretty cute and I'd be happy to use him. I'm pretty meh about Chespin, but it's always possible he could evolve into something great.

Leosnake
8th January 2013, 5:18 PM

This was just what I was thinking though I think a dog would be more likely than a tiger. Unless they have decided to move away from this theme of course.

Also while I will miss the old design having a portable version of a Colosseum equivalent will make for some interesting map puzzles and general Pokemon hunting I think based on the trailer.

AuraChannelerChris

That fox has six tails. This one has one.

Somehow, the first fox just doesn't fit... Also, I think Mozilla Firefox didn't even exist back then.

ebevan91

I think Fenn looks more like a fox than Vulpix/Ninetales though.

Tavo_Zx
8th January 2013, 5:19 PM
I like fennekin the most but froakie isn't bad either. The grass one is um... interesting o.O

Interesting to say the least xD.

Chespin actually reminds of some Pokemon. For me it somehow resembles Piplup and Oshawott, whose designs I love, hence why I liked Chespin's design too. It also reminds Emolga and Pachirisu, since it has somewhat of a squirrel look.

gliscor&yanmega

It wouldn't really be any more similar then Froakie's Water/Fighting being the same as Poliwrath.

They can still be very different despite types and similar concepts though. Chespin is part Mammal apposed to part Ninja.

ryanthehuman
I think I'm gonna have to start with Fennekin, hopefully the starters will all end up with some interesting dual-types this gen. I'll eat my head if we get another Fire/Fighting starter.

Assuming this gen keeps up with the hidden abilities thing, what hidden abilities does you think the starters could have?

Leosnake
8th January 2013, 5:20 PM
I think Fenn looks more like a fox than Vulpix/Ninetales though.

Am I right in saying that I'm not the only one who thought Ninetails looked more Wolf like than Fox or is that not quiet what you meant?

FallBird
8th January 2013, 5:21 PM
Fennekin is the only one I liked right away. Had to look at some fanart to get any feels for Froakie and Chespin. I kind of like Froakie, but not in the way I disliked Oshawott and came to love it haha. It's just okay. Chespin... looks like a fakemon still.

Jaggy101
8th January 2013, 5:22 PM
Im not so sure of them, im swaying more to grass (for once) but im just not so sure. Waiting for evolutions but for now, its grass, i dont actually like the water starter which is odd cos i always go for water whatever (but ive liked the past 5) Fire is just a meh anyway for me. (Now for the hate)

Wadeledge
8th January 2013, 5:23 PM
I think I'm gonna have to start with Fennekin, hopefully the starters will all end up with some interesting dual-types this gen. I'll eat my head if we get another Fire/Fighting starter.

Assuming this gen keeps up with the hidden abilities thing, what hidden abilities does you think the starters could have?

I think that depends on their evolutions and second types if they have them, it's kind of hard to guess.

ebevan91
8th January 2013, 5:24 PM

Grass/Dark
Fire/Psychic
Water/Fighting

That's really all they need to do.

Notice how Chespin looks like Pachirisu in the face?

Master of Fire
8th January 2013, 5:26 PM
the fox looks the best

Wadeledge
8th January 2013, 5:27 PM
I'd really like to see the starters from the back because I wanna see if Chespin has quills down his spine or how exactly I should interpret the white thing on Froakie's back. At first I saw it as kind of "fancy hair" on a bald head (think the first Doctor) but now I kinda see where it might be like a bag tied around his neck (think the burglar sprite from Gen 1).

◘Ins0mnIac◘
8th January 2013, 5:28 PM
Judging by Chespin's separately colored, spiked back my money is gonna go on his name meaning a mix of chestnut and pangolin, an absolutely adorable armor plated mammal. That would definitely set up for a grass/rock grass/steel or grass/ground type if it was the case.

Tavo_Zx
It wouldn't really be any more similar then Froakie's Water/Fighting being the same as Poliwrath.

They can still be very different despite types and similar concepts though. Chespin is part Mammal apposed to part Ninja.

When I wrote that I didn't took Poliwrath into account. I said it would be logical since in the last two generations one of the starters has somehow been a reference to "Journey to the West". Infernape is Sun Wukong, Emboar is Zhu Bajie. In Journey to the West there is one character who is a water creature (I think it was an ogre, but my memory fails me). If the starters I mentioned are indeed a reference to it then Froakie being Water/Fighting is totally plausible.

Malcolm Belmont
i think this might be the 3rd generation i start with the water starter first, cant wait to see what their evolved forms look like. and do u think theyll reveal anything new on pokemon smash or corocoro soon?

I am sure they will reveal some new Stuff on Pokemon Smash

Larry
8th January 2013, 5:30 PM
Hopefully we have another Fire/Fighting starter so we can watch everyone ***** over a video game.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 5:30 PM
Hopefully we have another Fire/Fighting starter so we can watch everyone ***** over a video game.

Yeah, because people should just shut up and accept anything GameFreak throws at them, isn't how it works?

And I think people *****ing over a video game isn't nearly as annoying as people like you *****ing about the opinions of others.

CptDrDigi
8th January 2013, 5:35 PM
I actually thought Froakie would be Water Electric, due to it looking like it's father is a Thundurus.
But I am sold on Chespin being a Grass/Ground and Firefox being a pure fire just to troll people.

Larry
8th January 2013, 5:36 PM
Yeah, because people should just shut up and accept anything GameFreak throws at them, isn't how it works?

And I think people *****ing over a video game isn't nearly as annoying as people like you *****ing about the opinions of others.

Clearly you didn't read my post in the right context, but hey nice try. Was I even close to *****ing? Not really. I'm actually hoping for a Fire/Fighting. How about you do us all a favor read next time?

Daisymareep
8th January 2013, 5:37 PM
I like Chespin the most. I hope that become grass/ground or grass/dark.

jake279
8th January 2013, 5:39 PM
The fire starter was immediately my favourite. It's just slick. Hopefully it won't become fire/fighting. I can see it's final evo being something like a fire version of Verizion. I hope it stays on four legs throughout it's evolutions anyway. I was kinda disappointed when Tepig's evo's ended up on two legs.
The grass starter is cool but it really looks like they just took the outline for Oshawott and changed a few details to make it grass type. I can see it evolving into a T-rex type thing just because of it's tail and body shape and having arms on the front-ish.
I have no time for the water starter. It looks like it was designed by a ten year old and is a poor man's version of the Seismitoad line (which also sucks). Disappointed by it completely, but I have no idea what it will turn into so maybe it's evo will be the best one. Hopefully something more original than just a big frog since we already have a ton of those.

The Head Honchkrow
8th January 2013, 5:41 PM
...in at least one culture foxes are messengers for the gods. And she looks so svelte, and has those bits on her legs like other messengers in mythology!

You know what? I think you may be on to something or, at least, I hope you are. :)

Anyway, I'm just gonna give my two penny's worth on these new starters:

Chespin
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet, but this looks to be our first mammalian Grass starter.
It's not relevant to my opinion on it; I just thought I'd point it out.
I'm quite fond of the greens and browns in his colourscheme. Very foresty.
I reckon he's gonna evolve into a Grass/Fighting type.

Fennekin
"Yo Cyndaquil! I'm real happy for ya, and I'mma let you finish, but Fennekin is one of the best Fire starters of all time! One of the best Fire starters of all time!"
Seriously though, this could be a real comeback for the Fire starters, and I honestly don't see this becoming Fire/Fighting.
Again, the colourscheme is just spot-on for this one. Makes it look quite ethereal.

Froakie
To me, this is the weakest of the three, although I do still quite like it, much more so than any of the Unova starters.
I like the juxtaposition between it's humongous eyes and the tiny "eyeglasses".
As for type upon evolution, I'm gonna say...Water/Psychic?

And, for personal choice, I'm gonna pick...Fennekin.
Foxes are just so cute!

~The Head Honchrow~

Grey Wind
8th January 2013, 5:42 PM
I actually really love these starters, I've warmed up to them much quicker than the others. Fennekin is a badass mofo, and Froakie is hilariously bizarre. I love how it manages to be goofy and regal at the same time. Here's hoping that it's evolutions do it justice. Fennekin reminds of Ninetales a lot, but it's still an awesome starter. Chespin is probably my least favourite, although still all right looking. Depending on evolutions, I'll probs end up picking Froakie.

Hoping for Water/Fighting for the frog, and possibly Grass/Ground for Chespin. No clue in regards to Fennekin, but I wouldn't mind it turning out as a Psychic type.

Leosnake
8th January 2013, 5:42 PM
Clearly you didn't read my post in the right context, but hey nice try. Was I even close to *****ing? Not really. I'm actually hoping for a Fire/Fighting. How about you do us all a favor read next time?

Going back to this and your previous comment the only reason I would complain is if I get caught out by thinking it will learn more fighting moves when it wont without TMs.

(Why did I cancel that double kick!!!)

I would prefer it if one of the other two was part fighting though just to change things up a bit rather than having four in a row.

Ver-mont
8th January 2013, 5:43 PM

You didn't say you want a Fire/Fighting per se, you said you want a Fire/Fighting just so you can see a specific reaction from a part of the fandom, which is childish and ridiculous:

It isn't me who can't read, it's you who can't put your thoughts into words properly.

Do us a favor and go learn.