PDA

View Full Version : Simple guide to deck building

Esperante
12th April 2005, 5:03 AM
Welcome to Cold Fusion’s “Guide to better deck building”. By following these simple guidelines, you’ll find your Pokemon TCG deck going from a useless pile of paper and ink to a comprehensive tournament-killing machine! Note that this guide is to be used for the modified format, not unlimited play.

1. Pokemon selection

Your Pokemon are what are going to be winning your games, so you need to choose them wisely.

First of all, when choosing your main line, be sure it can be backed up with a decent number of its pre-evo cards. 1-1-1, 1-1-2, and most of the time even 1-2-2 lines for your main evolution will fail, because you won’t be able to find any of the cards you’re looking for, even with a decent search engine. With less than 6 Pokes in the line, you’ll often times end up with one in your prizes, and that’s not good. So preferably with at least a 2-2-3(1-1-3 will work for beginners) line, you can start filling in the rest of the holes.

You’re going to need some backup, usually a stage one evolution line. Try to find something either the same type as your main Pokemon (Crobat EX and Ninjask), or something that makes a good combo (Ludicolo and Magcargo). Most backup lines should be run either 2-2 or 2-3, because that way, there will be enough to see play, but they won’t weigh you down. Some decks make good use of having another stage 2 evo line as the backup (Rock Lock), 3, 4, 5, or more evolution lines will just die.

The other Pokemon you’ll want to use is FR/LG Pidgeot. Even though it’s a stage 2 Pokemon, you can run a 2-1-2 or 2-2-2 line of it in a deck easily with the use of a couple Rare Candies (which will be discussed later), and it will prove to be invaluable to most decks. This card has a Poke-power, Quick Search, which allows you to search your deck for any card. After using it in a battle, you’ll be glad Pidgeot is in your deck. Though this is no longer the case for all decks, it proves to be useful in decks with multiple evo lines. (such as SMP)

2. Trainers

The main purposes of having trainers in your deck is to speed it up considerably, as well as fix your Pokemons’ weak points.

Draw power is always important in a deck, as it will speed up the process in getting the cards you need. There are many good draw cards out there, among them being TV Reporter, Professor Oak’s Research, and Steven’s Advice. Those aren’t the only ones, but they are some of the most affective the game has to offer. In all, your deck should use around 8 draw cards, because with the fact that they are supporters, having more in your hand would slow you down. After putting in your draw, put in a couple Wally’s Training or Celio’s Network cards to finish off this section.

After draw is taken care of, you need to look back at your Pokemon, and decide what is needed. Do your Pokemon have high retreat costs? Put in some Switch. Will you need some significant healing? Add in Potion or Life Herb. After asking questions like these, add in a couple Pokemon Reversals, Ancient Technical Machine Rocks, and Rare Candies if you use stage 2's.

Now were almost finished, but we need to add in some stadium cards. Without a couple of them, you’ll be victim to whatever ones your opponent plays, which is never good. Depending on the style of your deck depends on what to use, it’s much too complicated to say as a whole.

3. Energy

We’re coming to the home stretch, but energy is by far the most important part of the deck. Without energy, your Pokemon can’t attack! You need to add a reasonable amount, usually between 14 and 18. Make sure you pay attention to how you’re splitting the energy types in multi-color decks, because otherwise, you won’t be able to get the type you need. Find what you think the best balance is, and then move one.

The last thing is special energy. In decks with Dark and Steel Pokemon, their specific special energy cards will be needed, but only 4 can be used. Because of this, cards like and Darkmetal energy become open options for you to use. If this isn’t a matter for your deck, you have other options. If your evolved Pokemon have large colorless energy requirements, use a few boost energy cards, and they will speed you up. Scramble energy can also be useful, but to a lesser extent…

4. Test it out!

Now that you’ve made your deck, try it out a few times against a friend. This way, you will find the strengths and weaknesses of the cards you chose, and then make adjustments accordingly. Keep tweaking and testing bit-by-bit, until you have made a deck fit for a Pokemon Master!
-----------
If you have any suggestions on how to make this better, please post them, and I'll fix as seen needed.

EDIT: I blandly updated it, just so it makes more sense.

Fox
12th April 2005, 5:20 AM
Just in case someone is fairly new, perhaps you should explain what the #-#-# stands for in terms of first number, second number, and last number.

I will prune through this thread if it gets too large, deleting posts which are edited in to the start of the thread.

*stickies*

Esperante
12th April 2005, 5:34 AM
Just in case someone is fairly new, perhaps you should explain what the #-#-# stands for in terms of first number, second number, and last number.

I will prune through this thread if it gets too large, deleting posts which are edited in to the start of the thread.

*stickies*
Why, thank you.

The #-#-# is the amount of Stage 2 Evolution, stage 1 evolution, and basic Pokemon in a line, going in that order.

Jimmy P.
16th April 2005, 11:56 AM
Just in case anybody reading the thread doesn't know this already, your deck has a limit to how many cards are in it. There has to be 60 cards in your deck. No more, no less.

The #-#-# is the amount of Stage 2 Evolution, stage 1 evolution, and basic Pokemon ina line, going in that order.
If that's correct, you're telling us that we need three Stage 2 Pokemon and one Basic Pokemon. Just pointing that out, 'cause I thought it sounded kinda wierd.
- ;257;

EDIT: I've just realised that there's a separate sticky for Deck Building Advice. So you can just ignore the 60 card limit or you could add it here if you really wanted to. Just saying.

Raion
16th April 2005, 1:35 PM
I find it really hard to understand... And I'm hardly a beginner... You should also explain the terms you use more...

Esperante
16th April 2005, 5:13 PM
If that's correct, you're telling us that we need three Stage 2 Pokemon and one Basic Pokemon. Just pointing that out, 'cause I thought it sounded kinda wierd.
- ;257;

I just noticed that I flipped it around on 2 of them right next to each other, but I'l fix that. Other than those 2, the #-#-# is correct.

I find it really hard to understand... And I'm hardly a beginner... You should also explain the terms you use more...
I find it pretty readable... but if you give me some examples, I'll fix it.

Raion
17th April 2005, 3:10 AM
I find it pretty readable... but if you give me some examples, I'll fix it.

That's why most schooling systems urge you to get someone else to proof read your assignments, because you can't spot most of the mistakes you've made.

Get someone new or doesn't know how to play Pokemon to read it.

Esperante
17th April 2005, 5:06 AM
That's why most schooling systems urge you to get someone else to proof read your assignments, because you can't spot most of the mistakes you've made.

Get someone new or doesn't know how to play Pokemon to read it.
I'll try to find someone newer to read over it... but if they don't know how to play the game, they shouldn't be reading how to build a deck in the first place.

Medical Meccanica
1st May 2005, 3:15 PM
Yeah, I made a thread like this already... oh well. Anyways, Pidgeot is NOT invaluable to every deck. You can search for 1 card a turn. Unless yuo're in a tight spot, that's not really going to get you anywhere. And from what I have heard, Battle Frontier shuts down Pidgeot, and also some other important stuff. If you have Pidgeot in yuor deck, yuo won't be able to shut down some of these other things without hurting Pidgeot, and yuo can be shut down yourself.

Esperante
1st May 2005, 4:07 PM
Yeah, I made a thread like this already... oh well. Anyways, Pidgeot is NOT invaluable to every deck. You can search for 1 card a turn. Unless yuo're in a tight spot, that's not really going to get you anywhere. And from what I have heard, Battle Frontier shuts down Pidgeot, and also some other important stuff. If you have Pidgeot in yuor deck, yuo won't be able to shut down some of these other things without hurting Pidgeot, and yuo can be shut down yourself.
Well, by what you said, Pidgeot's power would only be helpful in a tight spot, and when you're in that tight spot, you could just play another stadium and use Quick Search.

But Pidgeot's power will go down significantly now, but I'll wait until Emerald's official release, and then change it around a bit. DX Cargo is always an option, and it works nice with Camerupt EX.

Medical Meccanica
5th May 2005, 1:42 AM
Pidge works in insanely slow decks, like Dark Dragonite and that Dragonite Ex deck I played a while ago, but it can be a waste of space in other decks.

Esperante
5th May 2005, 1:59 AM
Pidge works in insanely slow decks, like Dark Dragonite and that Dragonite Ex deck I played a while ago, but it can be a waste of space in other decks.
ZoMG liek l3tz pley it in Ludicargo!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!oneone!!1

>_> Yes, Pidgeot is unneeded in some decks, especially those with no other stage 2 evo lines.

'Lock and Draggy pretty much need it, though, and it's funny that those decks are already hindered by Battle Frontier. >_>

Capnshap
18th January 2006, 1:51 AM
I played a pidgeot a while ago (someone elses) and thatll rip you apart with its power. Its attack isnt horrible either. Got irritating....=D.

okothnuva
1st July 2006, 9:24 PM
ZoMG liek l3tz pley it in Ludicargo!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!oneone!!1

>_> Yes, Pidgeot is unneeded in some decks, especially those with no other stage 2 evo lines.

'Lock and Draggy pretty much need it, though, and it's funny that those decks are already hindered by Battle Frontier. >_>

Pidgeot doesn't belong in Dragtrode : /

quote my post.
i dare you.

Boo.

mapleboy86
20th April 2008, 4:07 PM
i think furret is a better choice. Just sayin...

mapleboy86
20th April 2008, 4:07 PM
i think furret is a better choice. Just sayin...

Secret Wonders i mean

df006
17th May 2008, 12:21 PM
14 to 18 energy is not enough, ithink keep at least 25 as a minimum.

SkittyOnWailord
17th May 2008, 12:43 PM
14 to 18 energy is not enough, ithink keep at least 25 as a minimum.

14-18 energy is the standard amount. I was a judge at one of the Cities and from deck-checking I can say that no-one had over 20 energy in there deck. Infact, I haven't seen anyone but little kids with over 22 in there deck.
If you don't know what you're talking about then I request you don't offer advice.

IchirakuRamen
11th June 2008, 3:43 AM
14-18 Energy eh? I just need to figure out how to split that evenly between the 6 energies I use in my Garchomp Kekleon Spinda deck ;/

IchirakuRamen
11th June 2008, 3:44 AM
14-18 Energy eh? I just need to figure out how to split that evenly between the 6 energies I use in my Garchomp Kekleon Spinda deck ;/

kuroneko
28th June 2008, 8:49 PM
14-18 energy is the standard amount. I was a judge at one of the Cities and from deck-checking I can say that no-one had over 20 energy in there deck. Infact, I haven't seen anyone but little kids with over 22 in there deck.
If you don't know what you're talking about then I request you don't offer advice.

I have 28 energy in my deck and I need most of them If not all off them.

darkrai2cool4u
1st July 2008, 4:28 PM
My deck has some eeveelutions, jolteon, vaporeon, and glaceon. It also has an empoleon evolution set and some other pokemon My card ration is 21 pokemon, 19trainers, and 20 energys. Oh yeah, could you guys tell me how to change the picture under your username and also were to make the trainer card thing? TY!

SkittyOnWailord
2nd July 2008, 1:45 PM
I have 28 energy in my deck and I need most of them If not all off them.

Well what can I say, out of the 300+ people I was judging in the last few months and all of the people I've battled over the years, none of the people (except for a few little kids) had more than 22 energy in there decks.
Since alot of the people there are being invited to Worlds, they must know something you don't.:p

kuroneko
3rd July 2008, 2:25 AM
Since alot of the people there are being invited to Worlds, they must know something you don't.

Really?
Good for those friends of yours who are going to Worlds. I don't care.

Do the world a favor and think before you speak.

I may not be a master or a turnament judge or a professor but the fact that you are one doen't give you the right to go insulting people like that.

I don't know if you know but there is a phrase that says something like this:

"I play to have FUN not to have a pretty trophy on my wall."

Learn it and then we can talk.

SkittyOnWailord
4th July 2008, 2:24 PM
Really?
Good for those friends of yours who are going to Worlds. I don't care.

Do the world a favor and think before you speak.

I may not be a master or a turnament judge or a professor but the fact that you are one doen't give you the right to go insulting people like that.

I don't know if you know but there is a phrase that says something like this:

"I play to have FUN not to have a pretty trophy on my wall."

Learn it and then we can talk.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just trying to help you make a better deck. If you don't want help then you shouldn't post in the "Rate My Deck" section.
And I do think before I speak. Maybe you should do the same.

kuroneko
4th July 2008, 9:59 PM
What i meant is that we can hurt people by what we say or do with out the intention of doing so.

I'm sorry I got emotional. Its just that I'm fed up with comments like "Ok pu in 2 pokemon 1 energy and 57 trainers you may not even have or may not be capable of getting."

I live in Mexico City so I have no easy access to the TCG so plz take this into account when rating any of my decks. Sometimes the best I can do is having 28 energies in one deck(I've already reduced that number to 21 but with an extra ordinary effort and some not-that-good trainers).

Let me say I'm sorry one more time. Next time plz take into account that sometimes 28 energies and 12 trainers can be a good strategy, not always and not the perfect strategy but it worked(Kinda).

SkittyOnWailord
5th July 2008, 11:47 AM
What i meant is that we can hurt people by what we say or do with out the intention of doing so.

I'm sorry I got emotional. Its just that I'm fed up with comments like "Ok pu in 2 pokemon 1 energy and 57 trainers you may not even have or may not be capable of getting."

I live in Mexico City so I have no easy access to the TCG so plz take this into account when rating any of my decks. Sometimes the best I can do is having 28 energies in one deck(I've already reduced that number to 21 but with an extra ordinary effort and some not-that-good trainers).

Let me say I'm sorry one more time. Next time plz take into account that sometimes 28 energies and 12 trainers can be a good strategy, not always and not the perfect strategy but it worked(Kinda).

Ok, I'm sorry too. I go to alot of hi-end tornamants and I need to make a very good deck in order to get anywhere. I'm not used to giving advice to normal players.
I think people need to start posting what kind of cards they have access to so that this problem doesn't happen again.

Dennix
10th August 2008, 1:00 PM
Will the rules be updated?
Because, almost all of the cards that are mentioned are not useable anymore.

SkittyOnWailord
10th August 2008, 2:25 PM
Will the rules be updated?
Because, almost all of the cards that are mentioned are not useable anymore.

You mean here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=84926)? That modified legal card list is up to date. The only thing that isn't up to date is the example deck, and that can stay the way it is. Remember that the sets don't rotate out untill September 1st.

MetaHeatran
2nd November 2008, 1:35 AM
I am going to try
(I am a Beginner at his though)
Heatran x1
Metagross x1 (Don't have any more)
Metang x3
Beldum x3
Yanmega x1 (Don't have any more)
Yanma x3
Ledian x2 (Don't have any more)
Ledyba x2
Bronzong x1 (Don't have any more)
Bronzor x2
Dodrio x1 (Don't have any more)
Doduo x3
Poke Ball x1 (Don't have any more)
Cynthia's Feelings x1 (Don't have any more)
Buck's Training x1
Leftovers x1
Master Ball x1 (Don't have any more)
TV Reporter x1 (Don't have any more)
PokeNav x1 (Don't have any more)
Bebe's Search x2 (Don't have any more)
Dusk Ball x1 (Don't have any more)
Pokemon Retriever x1 (Don't have any more)
Lake Boundary (Don't have any more)
Crystal Shard (Don't have any more)
Team Galactic's Wager x1 (Don't have any more)
Potion x1
say how many i need in to add one paragraph
and one i need to subtract in one paragraph

darkrai2cool4u
12th December 2008, 1:24 AM
lol, they need 2 update this to modified format

Excitable Boy
19th December 2008, 7:56 PM
Agreed. This was made 3 1/2 years ago. Pidgeot, Battle Frontier, Oak's Research, Wally's Training, e.t.c. can no longer be used in Modified, which most people play.

Heres's a list of cards mentioned that *gasp* CAN be used in Modified.

Switch
Potion
Rare Candy

Yeeeeaaah....

davester21
23rd January 2010, 4:23 PM

*stickies*

heres my deck, tell me just what i need to do.

Regigigas FB
Togekiss x4
Dragonite FB
Gabite x2
Gibble x4
Skorupi x3
Mr. Mime x2
Baltoy x3
Mudkip x4
Marshtomp x2
Swampert
Empoleon SP x2
Cyrus's Initiative x2
Potion x3
Battle Tower
Night Teleporter
Water Energy x15
Psychic Energy x7
Double Colorless Energy

~Kurou
11th August 2011, 2:40 AM
im going to the regonals.......................my deck is beast

Jazz14456_Plebeian
17th August 2011, 3:36 PM
Those aren’t the only ones, but they are some of the most affective the game has to offer.

Slight spelling error. It should be effective.

Jazz14456_Plebeian
1st September 2011, 4:27 PM
Sorry for double posting, but no ones posted in looonnngggg time and I really wanted to post this deck.

This deck probably isn't competitive play worthy, but it's a great deck among my friends, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to make it better.

Unlimited
I posted links of pictures of the card.
Decklist:

Pokemon:
Venusaur 13/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279339.jpg) x1
Ivysaur 62/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279388.jpg) x2
Bulbasaur 12/17 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=162711.jpg) x1
Bulbasaur 93/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=162711.jpg) x2
Ariados 20/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170598.jpg) x1
Spinarak 75/115 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/157486.jpg) x1
Spinarak 103/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170954.jpg) x1
Munchlax 69/111 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=249390.jpg) x1
Loudred 64/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279390.jpg) x1
Whismur 132/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279458.jpg) x2
Raticate G 78/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279404.jpg) x1
Lugia 2/17 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=298076.jpg) x1
Muk 31/90 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=299590.jpg) x2
Grimer 50/90 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=299590.jpg) x1
Gengar 18/100 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=230887.jpg) x1
Haunter 21/62 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149109.jpg) x1
Gastly 33/62 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149059.jpg) x1
Gastly 50/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149060.jpg) x1
Cresselia Lv.X 103/106 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=179776.jpg) x1
Cresselia 2/106 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=179775.jpg) x1
Giratina 4/146 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=292878.jpg) x2
Shaymin 8/95 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=294960.jpg) x1

Trainers:
Bebe's Search 109/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170611.jpg) x1
Night Maintenance 113/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170849.jpg) x1
Luxury Ball 86/100 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=230896.jpg) x1
Switch 95/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149477.jpg) x1
Potion 94/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149366.jpg) x1 (with Black and White's errata, this card heals 30 instead of twenty)
Island Hermit 76/101 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=157127.jpg) x1
Celio's Network 73/100 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=156880.jpg) x1
Phoebe's Stadium 79/108 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=157320.jpg) x2
Computer Search 71/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=148929.jpg) x1

Energy:
11 Psychic Energy
12 Grass Energy

ven?
2nd September 2011, 9:18 PM

Do you have a post office if so I'm willing to trade energy returner cards to you for collector's items (basic one's I don't have).

To be honest, i've never seen anyone post a deck list that has an energy system, IE, e.restore, e.retrival, burned tower, power tree, fisherman's, etc. cards that return basic energy (I never make a deck without one, it make's the deck flexible and thins it out at the same time allowing new cards out of you're deck, a technique to actually increase synergy and draw power).

This above me is a deck list that shoulld be in the deck rating area >.>, I give it three goldfish. If you're going to run those kinds of trainers and supporter's, 1 is not going to do anything for this deck.

Power464646
4th October 2011, 8:18 AM
This deck is good, right?
Energy
3* 2 colourless
7* psychic
Pkmn
Gengar prime
Gengar lvx
Gengar stormfront
Haunter legend maker
2* Gastly stormfront
Gardevoir lvx
Gardevoir secret wonders
Gardevoir platinum
Kirlia secret wonders
2* Ralts platinum
Dusknoir lvx
Dusknoir dp
Dusknoir stormfront 17
Dusclops stormfront 35
Duskull secret wonders
Shiny Duskull
Uxie lvx
Uxie legends awakened
Giratina lvx
Giratina platinum 27
Mime jr call of legends
Train/support/stadium
3* lost world
4* rare candy
4* lv max
2* premier ball
4* pokédrawer +
1* twins
1* prof. Elm's training method
1* junk arm
1* lux ball
1* Bebe's search
1* Wally's training
1* Flower shop lady
2* night maintenance
1* gust of wind

Power464646
4th October 2011, 8:21 AM
Sorry for double posting, but no ones posted in looonnngggg time and I really wanted to post this deck.

This deck probably isn't competitive play worthy, but it's a great deck among my friends, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to make it better.

Unlimited
Decklist:

Pokemon:
Venusaur 13/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279339.jpg) x1
Ivysaur 62/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279388.jpg) x2
Bulbasaur 12/17 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=162711.jpg) x1
Bulbasaur 93/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=162711.jpg) x2
Ariados 20/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170598.jpg) x1
Spinarak 75/115 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/157486.jpg) x1
Spinarak 103/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170954.jpg) x1
Munchlax 69/111 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=249390.jpg) x1
Loudred 64/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279390.jpg) x1
Whismur 132/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279458.jpg) x2
Raticate G 78/147 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=279404.jpg) x1
Lugia 2/17 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=298076.jpg) x1
Muk 31/90 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=299590.jpg) x2
Grimer 50/90 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=299590.jpg) x1
Gengar 18/100 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=230887.jpg) x1
Haunter 21/62 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149109.jpg) x1
Gastly 33/62 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149059.jpg) x1
Gastly 50/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149060.jpg) x1
Cresselia Lv.X 103/106 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=179776.jpg) x1
Cresselia 2/106 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=179775.jpg) x1
Giratina 4/146 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=292878.jpg) x2
Shaymin 8/95 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=294960.jpg) x1

Trainers:
Bebe's Search 109/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170611.jpg) x1
Night Maintenance 113/123 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=170849.jpg) x1
Luxury Ball 86/100 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=230896.jpg) x1
Switch 95/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149477.jpg) x1
Potion 94/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=149366.jpg) x1 (with Black and White's errata, this card heals 30 instead of twenty)
Island Hermit 76/101 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=157127.jpg) x1
Celio's Network 73/100 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=156880.jpg) x1
Phoebe's Stadium 79/108 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=157320.jpg) x2
Computer Search 71/102 (http://www.trollandtoad.com/products/fullshot.php?fullshot=148929.jpg) x1

Energy:
11 Psychic Energy
12 Grass Energy

Too much energy.

OthersiderME
24th December 2011, 10:09 AM

Unlimited
Decklist:

Pokemon:

Trainers:

Energy:
11 Psychic Energy
12 Grass Energy

Too much energy.

23 is not too many energy. Though you may have too many grass energy and not enough psychic, since your deck seems to be mainly psychic types with less grass types.

J20Hawkz
29th October 2013, 7:59 PM
Here's my deck list. What do you guys think? How could I improve it? Main tactic is to attack with Yanmega U-turn and switch with the other yanmas. Nidoking provide an extra beatstick with meganium prime supporting.

1 x Meganium Prime HGSS08
2 x Bayleef 35/123
4 x Chikorita 59/123
2 x Yanmega 54/102
4 x Yanma 84/102
1 x Zangoose lv.29 66/127
2 x Nidoking 6/102
2 x Nidorino 46/102
2 x Nidoran male 70/102

TRAINERS
2 x PokeNav 83/100
2 x Pokemon Communication 98/123
2 x Energy Exchanger 73/90
3 x Energy Search 86/100
2 x Switch 102/123

SUPPORTERS
2 x Mr. Stone's Project 72/101
2 x Interviewer's Questions 77/95
1 x Professor Oak's Visit 122/132
3 x Professor Elm's Training Method 100/123
2 x Celio's Network 73/100
1 x Professor Oak's New Theory 101/123
1 x Bill's Maintenance 71/100
1 x Twins 89/102
1 x Wally's Training

TOOLS
1 x Fluffy Berry 85/115

ENERGY
1 x Double Colorless Energy 103/123
9 x Grass Energy
4 x Fighting Energy

ven?
29th October 2013, 11:34 PM
OthersiderME@23 is a bad number for energy cards, also you run to many pokemon, and not enough trainers.

J20hawkz@You also could have just posted this by itself, we don't really post deck ideas in here, just ways to improve deck construction, ect.

Just for the pokemon, you need set names, otherwise we have no idea what they are.

As for the T/S/S
-1 or -3 elms training for 1 more wallys training, the reason to this is it's played down instead of having to have the rare candy or take an extra turn to evolve wasting you're turns having to draw into the second elms, or search card, wallys training does by-pass this all (and since you run fluffy berry, you could put in something like keldeo EX, just for the use of switching pokemon around, w/o using switch).

-3 energy search +2 roseannes research, 1 card versus 4 and it lets you search for pokemon.

-2 Interviewers for +2 Prof oaks new theory, new hand versus and very 50/50 shot at drawing nothing.

J20Hawkz
29th October 2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks a lot Ven. Should I start a new thread? Also how do you know the set names? Sorry although I have been playing for some time I took a massive break. I am not familiar with all the new decks and packs as such. I literally popped into tesco, saw a few decks and booster packs on sale and bought them.

Edit: reason I run the fluffy berry is because I focus on Yanmega U-turn attack. It allows me to attack with 50 damage then switch it with one of my benched. I normally tank with the Nidoking, attaching a fluffy berry to it so I can retreat for free and repeat with Yanmega again. I don't think out of 20 or so games my Yanmega has been knocked out this way.

ven?
30th October 2013, 3:43 AM
Then they must not run tool scrapper, windstorm or gust of wind.

We have a card errata for serebii http://www.serebii.net/card/dex/

It's a not bad strategy however running 1 fluffy berry, float stone, etc isn't very consistent, if you where to run 2-3 it could create more synergy in using U-turn, but again it's slightly better to run the keldeo to lets say wallys training turn 1, keldeo/rereat.

This deck kind of seems like gothitelle/accelgor, paralyze back to the deck using mewEX (copying accelgors paralyze and poison, goes back to the deck for 50+30 with virbank), bring out gothitelle (trainer lock) and tank.

J20Hawkz
30th October 2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks again. But that's why I run the 2 switch as well. I normally use haunter and sandslash. Mainly because they have 0 retreat cost. But I wanted to try out a more tank approach with the Nidokings. So far I have won 5 games in a row.

What is your ultimate deck list?

Matticus88
28th February 2014, 1:31 AM
My deck please rate!!
Zubat x3 plasma blast
Golbat x2 plasma blast
Crobat x2 team plasma
Koffing x2plasma blast
Weezing x2 plasma blast
Phantump x2
Trevenant x2
Chandelure EX x3
Mewtwo EX x2
Shauna x4
Proff sycamore x4
Great ball x3
Hypnotoxi laser x3
Superpotion x2
Cassius x1
Hard charm x2
Evosoda x2
Float stone x1
Reversal trigger x1
Dbl colorless x3
Psychic energy x16

ven?
28th February 2014, 2:32 AM
^This deck list isn't that terrible, the pokemon lines are confusing because plasma blast doesn't have those cards in that set, other then that, you can reduce 6 physchic energy for 1 more supporter, switch and virbanks, and instead or running great ball, run ultra ball.