PDA

View Full Version : Starters Discussion Thread v2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Wulava
10th October 2013, 6:38 AM
Discuss the three new starter Pokemon for 6th gen!

All posts should be constructive and contain ideas, support/elaborate their ideas, and must contribute to the discussions and/or on-going arguments. Also, one-liner posts such as "I agree.", "I want [this] to be in the game!", "This sucks!" will all be considered SPAM, deleted and you will be possibly infracted.

Let's promote a worthwhile discussion!

The poll will be added once this thread is opened.

Sarefan
10th October 2013, 2:05 PM
Team Froakie all the way! Has been there since day 1. Greninja turned out perfect imho. Water/Dark type ninja / thief like appearance = win! I'm glad that my water starter tradition can go on. I've always had a hard time finding a good surfer I like on my other games.

Last Entei
10th October 2013, 2:06 PM
I'm going with Froakie cause I don't like the look of Delphox

Vixen1988
10th October 2013, 2:10 PM
I got my Y copy today and soft resetting for the starter with the right gender and nature is a pain this time :/

Schade
10th October 2013, 2:11 PM
Well. the big starter-question have bothered me more than ever. I originally wanted Chesspin, but seeing as it evolves into a double Flying-Type weakness, among With the worst design out of the evolutions, I don't think I will og for it. Still love Chessnaught though..
Then there was the Fox. The Fox looks like it's strong and not too slow, at least until its final evolution came out. It looks.. okay-ish. I love Fire-Types, and Psychic-Types are cool too. I'll have to wait for its stats until I finally decide. I was hoping it was a fast Pokemon, but it doesn't look very fast.

then there's the Frog. The frog was the one I disliked the most at the start, but its evolutions kinda won me over. Greninja.. does it wear its tounge as a scarf.... what?
It's a Dark-Type, it looks very fast, and it's probably decent strong, so I am about 75% sure I'll og for Froakie

Ver-mont
10th October 2013, 2:12 PM
Hey, adding Goomy isn't fair, it will take away all the votes from the poor starters.

Violent Red
10th October 2013, 2:13 PM
I decided early on that I would wait until I saw all their evolutions before I would choose, now that Ive seen them all, ill be choosing Froakie.

Evie Snow
10th October 2013, 2:15 PM
The starter Pokémon was always a big deal for me, it can make or break the start of the game. Bar gen 4, there's always been at least one starter I liked, and this time, Fennekin was sadly the *only* starter I liked. So I decided I had to go with that one. I love Braixen, and I've warmed up to Delphox a lot more recently. I'm so jealous of the people who have their copies already, I get mine tomorrow midnight, but it's looking like it's going to be Delphox for me.

Ryohei
10th October 2013, 2:19 PM
I'm definitely going with Froakie. Been choosing him since the day I first saw the three starters.

Anyone knows what is the best nature for Froakie?

Raro
10th October 2013, 2:20 PM
Any ideas about good natures for each of the starters (based off of leaked stats, etc.)?
Looking at Chespin in particular!

Munchy
10th October 2013, 2:20 PM
Chespin all the way! It's going to be interesting to see which way the poll will go now that we know the final evolutions of the starters.

Hasty
10th October 2013, 2:21 PM
I voted for Chespin, but I don't know which starter to go... Chespin or Froakie?

I love Froakie and Quilladin.
Chespin and Frogadier are really nice.
Chesnaught and Greninja are equally nice.

Rakurai
10th October 2013, 2:21 PM
I'm definitely going with Froakie. Been choosing him since the day I first saw the three starters.

Anyone knows what is the best nature for Froakie?

There isn't a "best" nature, really. It depends entirely on what you're trying to do with it, and in Froakie's case, it has the stats to support mixed sweeping.

I'm personally going with Modest, though, as its speed stat seems plenty good enough as is (Estimated base 120 as Greninja), and I'm not really a fan of mixed movesets.

Raro
10th October 2013, 2:23 PM
There isn't a "best" nature, really.

Though I'm personally going with Modest, as its speed stat seems plenty good enough as is (Estimated base 120 as Greninja), and I'm not really a fan of mixed movesets.

Any suggestions for Chespin? (Grass)
Haven't seen stats posted for Chesnaut so can't make a judgement myself..

Rakurai
10th October 2013, 2:25 PM
Take something that boosts Defense or Attack, as those are its two highest non-HP stats, though Defense is significantly higher then the latter.

Blazios
10th October 2013, 2:26 PM
Yeah, soft resetting for these starters takes longer than pretty much any gen (unless you're looking for a nature in B/W).

I'm having atrocious luck finding a Froakie with a nature that doesn't reduce Special Attack or Speed. I can't even find one with a neutral nature.

Underachiever007
10th October 2013, 2:29 PM
I like all three starters. Delphox is my favorite, but I'll be using Chesnaught for my first playthrough, simply because it fits the team I'm planning a little better.

Schade
10th October 2013, 2:29 PM
What are the stats for the starters anyway? The games don't come until Saturday in Europe

TheBlueWarrior
10th October 2013, 2:30 PM
Grabbing a Fennekin when I finally get my hands on the game.

Ryohei
10th October 2013, 2:30 PM
There isn't a "best" nature, really. It depends entirely on what you're trying to do with it, and in Froakie's case, it has the stats to support mixed sweeping.

I'm personally going with Modest, though, as its speed stat seems plenty good enough as is (Estimated base 120 as Greninja), and I'm not really a fan of mixed movesets.

Ah. thanks! I don't know how nature actually works :S

Vaizel
10th October 2013, 2:35 PM
I'm guessing a modest or timid nature would benefit Delphox the most?

WhiteBlair
10th October 2013, 2:38 PM
On January 8: Fennekin.
On October 10: Fennekin.

Nothing has changed. Braixen and Delphox just added beauty and mystic wizard theme to Fennekin line. A dream come true.

flawlessazn
10th October 2013, 2:38 PM
Such a tough choice, but i'll have to go with Fennekin just because of the awesomeness that is Delphox

Zhanton
10th October 2013, 2:39 PM
I'm actually feeling pretty torn between Froakie and Chespin. I like Fennekin and its evolutions but I don't think I'll choose it. I've always been a big fan of Froakie and its evolutions are really cool, but at the same time Quilladin and Chesnaught have really grown on me lately.

bobandbill
10th October 2013, 2:39 PM
Initially I said Fennekin. I'm going to be sticking with that choice, I was not at all disappointed with its evolutions in the end. Only hesitation I suppose was with Braxile (at the whole another fire-starter bipedal deal, but even then I liked its design and basis, so :V).

For fun, the pre-release poll of starter choice from the previous thread!

Chespin - 845 (26.83%)
Fennekin - 1,329 (42.19%)
Froakie - 849 (26.95%)
DUNSPARCE - 127 (4.03%)

Mew The Gato
10th October 2013, 2:44 PM
I wanted to chose Froakie in the last thread, but I clicked the wrong button. @_@

Now, though, I can change my choice to Froakie! Great!

Dark is my favourite Type, so that gives me another reason to love Froakie. <3

Dragalge
10th October 2013, 2:44 PM
Froakie beat Chespin by four votes lol.

Now that we know Delphox has a wand, maybe the complaints about it being "inconsistent" will go away.

knetz07
10th October 2013, 2:45 PM
I like all base forms of the starters, but I like Froakie's finals stage the most. But still Team Fennekin since I lean towards fire type starters and it evolves into a mage which is my favorite class to use. The typing is just quite useful against the region's gyms too. Chose Fennekin from the previous poll, and still choosing it here.

Unredemption
10th October 2013, 2:46 PM
I'm gonna take Froakie, but I sure as hell want Goomy on my team.

Underachiever007
10th October 2013, 2:47 PM
Actually, I've changed my mind. Not using my favorite starter for the first playthrough doesn't make sense. I love Delphox too much to relegate it to the second or third playthrough. It'll compliment my Pangoro nicely. Looks like Chesnaught and Greninja will have to wait.

Hasty
10th October 2013, 2:49 PM

If the last stages wouldn't be leaked, Froakie would be last! :D

Eeveemaster
10th October 2013, 2:54 PM
I've been playing since the RBY days and for the first tine ever, I'm ditching the starters. It's because I do not find any of the 3 final evolutions that appealing.. I initially liked Fennekin the most but I'm one of the people who jumped off its train when it became bipedal. Next I liked Frogadier the best when the second stage were released. However, when the final evolution were leaked I was never fond of any of them..

I'm going with Surskit as my starter so here's hoping its really early in the game like in RSE..

Arcamenel
10th October 2013, 2:58 PM
I was originally going for Froakie but I've recently fallen in love with Delphox and all it's magey-like ways. I'm going with Fennekin :D

Jskid44
10th October 2013, 2:59 PM

Now that we know Delphox has a wand, maybe the complaints about it being "inconsistent" will go away.

Wait we do? I haven't seen it using a wand any.

Trainer Yusuf
10th October 2013, 2:59 PM
Fossils confirmed for post-game in Glittering Cave. (http://archive.foolz.us/vp/thread/14431285/)

TeamTurtle
10th October 2013, 3:01 PM
What creature is Chessanught based off, it looks turtle-y which will have a major impact on my decision for starter

Arcamenel
10th October 2013, 3:07 PM
Wait we do? I haven't seen it using a wand any.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/7e6eda15045e3d6727b7055b5d208f33/tumblr_muev06H00q1romni1o1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7125e8614d926772937e73860ae0aa61/tumblr_muev06H00q1romni1o2_500.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/5df4058ad9d9c386e48e2cffac1114cc/tumblr_inline_muf7a6bDPS1r13tse.png

http://media.tumblr.com/9e88293485fff5862e2bb0fd7f84a84d/tumblr_inline_muf7aju76H1r13tse.png

Jskid44
10th October 2013, 3:10 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/7e6eda15045e3d6727b7055b5d208f33/tumblr_muev06H00q1romni1o1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7125e8614d926772937e73860ae0aa61/tumblr_muev06H00q1romni1o2_500.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/5df4058ad9d9c386e48e2cffac1114cc/tumblr_inline_muf7a6bDPS1r13tse.png

http://media.tumblr.com/9e88293485fff5862e2bb0fd7f84a84d/tumblr_inline_muf7aju76H1r13tse.png

Oh my... I wonder where she hides it at?

Thanks for the links to the images. :)

Underachiever007
10th October 2013, 3:12 PM
Oh my... I wonder where she hides it at?

Thanks for the links to the images. :)

Pretty sure she hides it up her sleeve.

Zyon
10th October 2013, 3:13 PM
I originally chose Fennekin when the starters were first announced, now after seeing all three final evolutions I'm still sticking with Fennekin. Delphox turned out pretty much what I was expecting it to once I heard they were based off of the old RPG classes.
I still like Chespin's and Froakie's final evolutions, I believe Gen VI will turn out just like Gen III for me as far as starters goes. Meaning I'll choose either of the three instead of my usual Fire starter and on occasion choose the water starter.

Arcamenel
Yeah it's in the sleeve.

Also before anyone ask(because someone will) male Delphox looks the same as female Delphox.

Picture: http://24.media.tumblr.com/80f38f73d6beeec622303ea6ca1a1d51/tumblr_muf5buEUjz1rzxro1o1_500.jpg

Jskid44

I am just glad it's not in her tail anymore. I don't know why, but it just looked weird sitting in it.

Mew The Gato
10th October 2013, 3:16 PM

Yes, she actually does. She has more than tricks up her sleeve.

The wand also looks awesome, with the flame at the tips and the way it uses Magic. Or moves. Can Delphox somehow use it to smack opponents when using Physical Moves? XD

Underachiever007
10th October 2013, 3:16 PM
Glad we finally have a high quality pic or two of Delphox: http://www.serebii.net/xy/temp/00197.png

Hasty
10th October 2013, 3:17 PM
Glad we finally have a high quality pic or two of Delphox: http://www.serebii.net/xy/temp/00197.png

Delphox really looks like a wise old man... xD

Cresselia92
10th October 2013, 3:34 PM
My decision hasn't changed. Fennekin all the way for me for my first playthrough. I'll use Froakie and/or Chespin in my next one.

TRG
10th October 2013, 3:35 PM
Was team Chespin since day 1... Quilladin disappointed me to the point where I was close to hopping on the Fennekin train but then Chesnaught redeemed it.

Mays
10th October 2013, 3:41 PM
The gender sign on the top left of the nickname screen is it's gender, right? I want a female fennekin and I've reset about 10 times but nothing

RNG_Reporter
10th October 2013, 3:43 PM
Idk.. after looking at those Delphox images... it's actually a solid contender.

This is the hardest decision since Sinnoh.

I see so many positives for each, I can see myself loving my journey with each.. but i dont plan on pre-planning my team.. as I hate that stuff, just gonna go straight Ash and learn and see as I go, will be great.

I chose Chespin for now, as he's pretty lovable, but I can literally see myself picking any of them. Ugh.

Grum88
10th October 2013, 3:44 PM
Chose Froakie in january and choosing Froakie still when i get the game!!:P

Taodragon
10th October 2013, 3:46 PM
Though I like all the starters, I started with Froakie being my favorite and I still love him all the way through this period, team Froakie!

Shraeder
10th October 2013, 3:53 PM
#TeamFroakie. Although I thought Greninja was fake at first, it has really warmed up to me, and it is now my favorite Pokemon of this gen.

Taodragon
10th October 2013, 3:55 PM
Found this, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Dn4AmCMYs&feature=youtu.be&t=3m38s) it's a rival(?) match between Delphox and Greninja, you can see their animations in action.

Citizen Insane
10th October 2013, 3:57 PM
Froakie, still.

Venu
10th October 2013, 4:02 PM
It's a hard choice for me.. I don't really like any of their final forms. If the third form wasn't so much more powerful I'd be tempted to just keep one unevolved. I'm guessing that's a bad idea though.. has anyone played through a game like that?
And I like greninja actually, except for it's tongue scarf- which is kind of strange. I guess I could imagine his tongue is in his mouth? haha. I guess delphox would come next, I'm not so sure about it though. And chesnaught is kind of unlikely, I usually like the grass starters too.

Shraeder
10th October 2013, 4:03 PM
Found this, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Dn4AmCMYs&feature=youtu.be&t=3m38s) it's a rival(?) match between Delphox and Greninja, you can see their animations in action.

Dang that Water Shuriken did nothing, I thought Delphox had bad Defense?

Gizmoa
10th October 2013, 4:04 PM
I like Froakie, but why is Goomy and option? I had to vote Goomy because I... don't know I just realized I apparently have a thing for little blob Pokemon... maybe it's a pity thing... or maybe I just want to see how they end up.

I still don't know which Kanto starter to go with. Do they have there dream world ability or anything cool like that? Can we get the stones for the ones we don't choose later some how?

Cresselia92
10th October 2013, 4:07 PM
Dang that Water Shuriken did nothing, I thought Delphox had bad Defense?

It's around 70-75. It's not exactly bad, but it isn't even good. A Waterfall from a mixed Greninja should leave a dent on it. And besides there is a quite big level difference: Lv. 46 Delphox vs. Lv. 37 Greninja.

Shraeder
10th October 2013, 4:08 PM
It's around 70-75. It's not exactly bad, but it isn't even good. A Waterfall from a mixed Greninja should leave a dent on it.

I was just surprised that Water Shuriken didn't even do a quarter, but that could be because it only hit twice.

Spirit Kitsune
10th October 2013, 4:09 PM
I've been torn between Froakie and Fennekin from the start. From the base stages to the final stages I've loved them both, however I have to go with Fennekin again for my vote. Its been to long since I've used a fire starter.

Gizmoa
10th October 2013, 4:09 PM
The gender sign on the top left of the nickname screen is it's gender, right? I want a female fennekin and I've reset about 10 times but nothing
Keep at it... at least you have the game ;)

Ver-mont
10th October 2013, 4:10 PM
I like Froakie, but why is Goomy and option? I had to vote Goomy because I... don't know I just realized I apparently have a thing for little blob Pokemon... maybe it's a pity thing... or maybe I just want to see how they end up.

It's a joke option. The other poll had Dunsparce instead.

LizardonX
10th October 2013, 4:10 PM
I'm still #TEAMCHESPIN

Gizmoa
10th October 2013, 4:14 PM
It's a joke option. The other poll had Dunsparce instead.

I know ;) Honestly if there was a not chespin option I'd do that, but I chose Froakie way way way back when they were first shown and that is who I am going with. I love herptiles... part of why gen 1 is always so hard to choose, they are all herptiles! (herptile is a generic term for all non-avian reptiles and amphibians)

Ivoright
10th October 2013, 4:17 PM
Regarding the typings.
Chesnaught, with its Grass/Fighting typing, has a 4x weakness to Flying. Undesirable, but I do like its design.
Delphix, has a Fire/Psychic typing, which fits it perfectly with the wizardly/witchy appearance. The typing also benefits Delphox with a resistance to Bug.
Greninja is my favorite so far. Its typing doesn't give it any resistances to weaknesses, but it doesn't get any 4x weaknesses either. I think that this is the most bizzare of the three, mainly due to the tounge-scarf.

I'm still #TEAMCHESPIN
#TeamFroakie all the way

Lugar
10th October 2013, 4:22 PM
I want a Chesnaugh with shell smash.Are spiky shield and water shuriken signature moves?If yes then what's Delphox's?

Shiny Espeon0429
10th October 2013, 4:23 PM
I'm going to be honest. When I first saw Greninja being leaked, I disliked it and hoped it was fake. But honestly? It has grown on me so much and I'm definitely going to pick it. I didn't like Delphox at all at first but it has grown on me as well so I can appreciate it, thought not as much as Greninja. Chesnaught looks awful to me, really don't get the fuss about it.

Taodragon
10th October 2013, 4:30 PM
I was just surprised that Water Shuriken didn't even do a quarter, but that could be because it only hit twice.

Well, there's also a major level difference to consider.

Edit: whoops, didn't notice cresselia's post.

ECM
10th October 2013, 4:39 PM
Loved Chespin at the beginning, and now I really love Chespin! He's my favorite starter. I'm using him on X, just because I want to use Bulbasaur on Y (which will be my main) and I try not to have two of the same type. But Chespin is definitely my favorite of the three. Froakie is my choice for Y. And if Z comes out, or X2 and Y2 or whatever they do, I'm picking Fennekin.

davidxrawr
10th October 2013, 4:50 PM
lol polls at 22 (Grass) 33 (fire) & 44 (water) votes

anyways go Fennekin! go!

The Imposter
10th October 2013, 4:52 PM
#TeamFroakie for me. Love Frogadier and Greninja is just amazing. I can just imagine it walking up to you, smacking you in the face with its tongue, then running off laughing.

We had a good batch of starters this time. One of the few times I like all the final starter evolutions.

TDoeDaHippy
10th October 2013, 4:54 PM
I was a Froakie supporter from the beginning. I loved Greninja right when it leaked. Water starters til I die :D

Pokememes
10th October 2013, 5:01 PM
So as the starters evolutions were revealed, I had an emotional roller coaster
First, I liked chespin the best, with fennekin second and froakie last
From the middle evolutions, I really hated quilladin, but it slowly grew on me... Order changed to - frogadier, and then braixen/quilladin
Then final evos came, and I didn't really like any... But I preferred delphox. So now it's- delphox, chesnaught and greninja

So, I like a certain stage of each of the 3 starter lines more at a certain point... But if I choose a starter now it will likely be fennekin

Mays
10th October 2013, 5:13 PM
Anyone know what the base stats are of the starters? I've got a quiet natured Fennekin - not sure if that's good.

shellshocker6617
10th October 2013, 5:31 PM
I am so excited to get this game, i am definitely choosing Fennekin! I fell in love with it and Braixen at first sight. Delphox was weird to me at first but she totally grew on me. I also like that she keeps her wand, that was a nice touch. I am definitely going to have to keep resetting for a female though. Has anyone else on here come back around on Delphox, I know it was getting a lot of hate.

(Planned X team: Delphox, Blastoise, Pangoro, Granbull (Fairy!!!), Gogoat, Noivern)

XXD17
10th October 2013, 5:35 PM
Once team fennekin, always team fennekin...

RNG_Reporter
10th October 2013, 5:36 PM
Anyone know what the base stats are of the starters? I've got a quiet natured Fennekin - not sure if that's good.

Dont get a speed reducing nature. Never.

Go for boost in sp atk or speed for it.

AquaPikachu
10th October 2013, 5:37 PM
I am planning to start off with Fennekin first for Pokemon X and then planning to use Greninja or Chesnaught in Pokemon Y..Delphox seems like a good Pokemon to use in your first play-though of X/Y

The Imposter
10th October 2013, 5:38 PM
Dont get a speed reducing nature. Never.

Go for boost in sp atk or speed for it.

Unless you're a TR attacker or bulky mixed attacker.

Fennekin is good in special attack and special defense, and decent in speed.
Chespin is good in attack and defense, and decent in HP (might have mixed that up)
Froakie is good in special attack and speed, and decent in attack.

AquaPikachu
10th October 2013, 5:40 PM

Chespin is good in attack and defense, and decent in HP (might have mixed that up)

That is really quite balanced...i hope they will be more useful than the Gen 5 Starters in competetive play

AltoClarinet5
10th October 2013, 5:40 PM
I remember it being difficult to pick a starter at first. I liked the look of all of them upon the first announcement. A few months later, I started to debate between choosing Chespin or Froakie. And now, I'm full on Team Chespin! This will be the first generation in which my first choice is a grass starter, and I know I won't be disappointed!

Mays
10th October 2013, 5:43 PM

Well then speed-reducing isn't a sbad is it?

Arcamenel
10th October 2013, 5:53 PM
Regarding the typings.
Chesnaught, with its Grass/Fighting typing, has a 4x weakness to Flying. Undesirable, but I do like its design.
Delphix, has a Fire/Psychic typing, which fits it perfectly with the wizardly/witchy appearance. The typing also benefits Delphox with a resistance to Bug.
Greninja is my favorite so far. Its typing doesn't give it any resistances to weaknesses, but it doesn't get any 4x weaknesses either. I think that this is the most bizzare of the three, mainly due to the tounge-scarf.

#TeamFroakie all the way

nevermind XD

EDIT: Derped. I keep thinking it's fighting. XD

Grey Wind
10th October 2013, 5:56 PM
Greninja has a 4x weakness to Fairy. Fairy is SE against Fighting and Dark.
What? Greninja is Water/Dark. It does have any double weaknesses.

e: I love how Froakie is now the most popular starter. Goes to show how much the final evolutions can sway someone's opinion.

WhiteBlair
Greninja has a 4x weakness to Fairy. Fairy is SE against Fighting and Dark.

I think you meant x2 weakness.

Arcamenel
I derped XD

MastersOfMonsters
10th October 2013, 6:03 PM
Froakie's Hidden Ability is Protean..? What is that? O.O

Bryon
10th October 2013, 6:05 PM

From what Joe said, it changes the Pokémon's Type to the type of the last move they used. So kind of a reverse Color Change.

The Imposter
10th October 2013, 6:06 PM

It's a misspelling of protein, the ability gives Froakie a protein drink.

In all seriousness, I don't know.

Edit: greninja'd

MastersOfMonsters
10th October 2013, 6:07 PM
From what Joe said, it changes the Pokémon's Type to the type of the last move they used. So kind of a reverse Color Change.

Ooh, that thing that Kecleon has? So, if my Greninja uses Close Combat, he will turn pure Fighting, or will his secondary Type remain? Or maybe we don't know that yet. ^^

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 6:16 PM
Oh dang, i didn't see that Goomy was an option.

I want to change my vote

outoftheordinary
10th October 2013, 6:19 PM
I like Fennekin and its evolutions better than the other two, but I already have a Fire type in my team (Talonflame) and I'm getting Charizard X, it just doesn't make sense to get another fire depite how much I love how Delphox looks. Go Greninja!

NightFire7
10th October 2013, 6:23 PM
I'm definitely on the side of team chesnaught. Aways going to go with the least popular choice and even though I have grown to like the other two, I like him the best.

Rexasaurus
10th October 2013, 6:23 PM
I was initially pretty set on Chespin, but now I'm on Team Froakie. Although I do still wish that Froakie's end typing would've been Water/Fighting, and then have Chespin be Grass/Dark. I just feel like the Dark type doesn't mesh with the ninja appearance...he should be Fighting. Meh. Still <3 Greninja.

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 6:24 PM
I'm surprised Chesnaught is behind Delphox

noakai
10th October 2013, 6:25 PM

I wonder how we're gonna get Dream World abilities in this game. This sounds cool.

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 6:25 PM
I was initially pretty set on Chespin, but now I'm on Team Froakie. Although I do still wish that Froakie's end typing would've been Water/Fighting, and then have Chespin be Grass/Dark. I just feel like the Dark type doesn't mesh with the ninja appearance...he should be Fighting. Meh. Still <3 Greninja.

Dark doesn't mesh with Ninja!?!?

What the world do you think ninjas are?

Ninja's are assassins that sneak around in the shadows and strike when no one is looking.

Ninja's are known for their stealth, one of the reasons they wear all black

Rexasaurus
10th October 2013, 6:30 PM
Dark doesn't mesh with Ninja!?!?

What the world do you think ninjas are?

Ninja's are assassins that sneak around in the shadows and strike when no one is looking.

Ninja's are known for their stealth, one of the reasons they wear all black

I get that ninjas are all stealthy and hide in the shadows, but they are also combat oriented. I picture dark type as more monstrous, rather than like a ninja I guess. But to each his own.

Ver-mont
10th October 2013, 6:31 PM
I get that ninjas are all stealthy and hide in the shadows, but they are also combat oriented. I picture dark type as more monstrous, rather than like a ninja I guess. But to each his own.

The starters seem to be inspired by the three classic RPG classes: fighter, mage, thief. Thief = Dark.

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 6:32 PM

People this day and age have some kind of bizarre view on ninjas

I blame Naruto and the younger generation and their radical ideas

noakai
10th October 2013, 6:33 PM
I vastly prefer Froakie to be Water/Dark myself. It fits the image of a ninja to me a lot more than Water/Fighting. Plus I didn't want it to be like Poliwrath lol.

Regality
10th October 2013, 6:35 PM
At first I preferred Froakie, which was the least popular... now I prefer Chespin, which is now the least popular.

Oh god, I have somehow become a hipster.

Pamizard
10th October 2013, 6:36 PM
People this day and age have some kind of bizarre view on ninjas

I blame Naruto and the younger generation and their radical ideas

D: nothing wrong with Naruto xD and im naming my greninja Jiraiya for a reason xD

But yeah he's suppose to be more on an thief line but still the frog inspired me for Jiraiya because of him using frog jutsus and summoning them in the series, although im starting with a female froakie to breed froakies for trading and stuff

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 6:38 PM
D: nothing wrong with Naruto xD and im naming my greninja Jiraiya for a reason xD

But yeah he's suppose to be more on an thief line but still the frog inspired me for Jiraiya because of him using frog jutsus and summoning them in the series, although im starting with a female froakie to breed froakies for trading and stuff

Naruto is the reason people on this forum have such a skewed idea of what ninjas are about

To the point that people don't think ninja's would be dark type

Locormus
10th October 2013, 6:39 PM

Nothing wrong with Naruto? You should really not go to Manga related forums then.. People have been talking about the destruction of any quality standard it may have once had for the last 7 years.... Not joking, every single chapter release is another storm of complaints forming.

Picking Froakie regardless, staying true to my choice from the previous thread.

Sukiza
10th October 2013, 6:40 PM
im going for fennkin i suppose..
i like fennekin and chespins evolution the most, for me the water one is a no go. i loved frogadier but the scarf totally turned me off.

then its choosing between stats/typings and i guess fire/psychic fits me better.. but then theres the problem with the talonflame.. i like that pokemon a lot (just like goodras line but well its tie ^^)
i dunno if its smart to go with 2 fire types in a team and my friend goes for fennekin aswell, its a tough choice.

i heard you get the starter your strong against later on in the game, and since i dont want froakie.. this woudl give me yet another reason to go for fennekin.

anyone has some advice to which to pick?

Pamizard
10th October 2013, 6:42 PM
Nothing wrong with Naruto? You should really not go to Manga related forums then.. People have been talking about the destruction of any quality standard it may have once had for the last 7 years.... Not joking, every single chapter release is another storm of complaints forming.

Picking Froakie regardless, staying true to my choice from the previous thread.

heh I just dont pay attention much anymore D; they killed all my favorite characters.

Froakie will represent Jiraiya, who is one of my favorites!!!!!

xayshade
10th October 2013, 6:45 PM
At first I was team Froakie, but Chesnaught won me over. I can't get enough of the Juggernaut Hedgehog I just can't.

Besides unless it was rock, he was bound to have a quad weakness to someone (grass/dark, grass/psychic). Grass has always been screwed over, it just matters how you use it!

DarkKami
10th October 2013, 6:47 PM
Anyone got suggestions for Natures for Froakie? I think I might go with Mild, +SpA, -Def

He has a pretty nice Speed Stat, so I think I should be fine without a speed advantage nature.... Hmmm

Locormus
10th October 2013, 6:49 PM
Anyone got suggestions for Natures for Froakie? I think I might go with Mild, +SpA, -Def

He has a pretty nice Speed Stat, so I think I should be fine without a speed advantage nature.... Hmmm

I think Mild will do wonders.. Take advantage of that special, while still leaving room for it to go mixed, perhaps with Sucker Punch.

What does Protean do?

Last Entei
10th October 2013, 6:49 PM

He has a pretty nice Speed Stat, so I think I should be fine without a speed advantage nature.... Hmmm I'd go with modest cause his speed seems good,so getting his Sp Attack up might benefit him a lot

zimmerwald1915
10th October 2013, 6:51 PM
I will be choosing Fennekin, no question. Fennekin's design drew me in when it and the other starters' were first released. It looked quietly confident and a little bit pensive, which appealed to me more than Chespin's abandon and enthusiasm or Froakie's seeming shock at whatever it saw. The more I learned about its evolutionary line, the more I was hooked. I gravitate towards mage classes in TTRPGs, so the idea of apprentice-Fennekin, adept-Braixen and wizard-Delphox was a natural fit for me. The designs of the later forms also helped hold my eye. Braixen looked spunky and curious, sure of itself but eager to learn. Delphox looked like it had grown into its potential, and had the grace, elegance, and poise of a master. The typing, combining two of my favorite offensive types, clinched the choice for me.

Chespin17
10th October 2013, 6:52 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on which nature would be better for Chespin, Careful or Jolly? As of now I'm thinking of going for a Careful nature.

DarkKami
Protean changes the Type of the Pokemon after the move it's used, according to some leaks from other sites:

Example: Froakie uses U-Turn, Protean activates, changing his type to Bug. He uses Thief, Protean Activates and changes his type to Dark

PsychoIncarnate

Rash might be good, he resists more elements that are more commonly special than he does physical, so he may NEED the defense, plus has a weakness to fighting, which is a pretty strong weakness

Not that he has strong defenses either way, but a stronger defense might make him live longer.

DarkKami
10th October 2013, 6:53 PM
I'd go with modest cause his speed seems good,so getting his Sp Attack up might benefit him a lot

See I'm contemplating between Mild and Modest. Maybe I'll go Mild first and see how he fairs, then I can just breed for the Modest Nature hopefully.

Rash might be good, he resists more elements that are more commonly special than he does physical, so he may NEED the defense, plus has a weakness to fighting, which is a pretty strong weakness

Not that he has strong defenses either way, but a stronger defense might make him live longer.

Thank you for your post! It would make sense for him to have a higher Defense due to weakness to Fighting. What about Fairy though? Is it normally Special or Physical?

fitzy909
10th October 2013, 6:56 PM
Protean changes the Type of the Pokemon after the move it's used, according to some leaks from other sites:

Example: Froakie uses U-Turn, Protean activates, changing his type to Bug. He uses Thief, Protean Activates and changes his type to Dark

sounds pretty good and it is very similar to colour change. would be better if it changed before it used the attack to gain stab. however, it may be a double edged sword. you may use an attack that makes you weak to your opponent, but it seems pretty good.

Last Entei
10th October 2013, 7:13 PM
See I'm contemplating between Mild and Modest. Maybe I'll go Mild first and see how he fairs, then I can just breed for the Modest Nature hopefully.

Thank you for your post! It would make sense for him to have a higher Defense due to weakness to Fighting. What about Fairy though? Is it normally Special or Physical? I'm not really concerned about Greninjas type at the start,but I want to make sure I get a Modest Charmander for my Mega Charizard Y

Taodragon
10th October 2013, 7:16 PM

That could be very useful, if Froakie wants to avoid getting hit SE, switch to a safe type.

Does the activation take place before or after using the move because if it switches before, he could get STAB for it.

Dreamy
10th October 2013, 7:36 PM
They've finally utilized the Fighting, Psychic, Dark trifecta

Munchy
10th October 2013, 7:43 PM
Thought this would fit better here: official art of final starter evolutions:

http://images.4chan.org/vp/src/1381426328127.jpghttp://images.4chan.org/vp/src/1381426236230.jpghttp://images.4chan.org/vp/src/1381426418930.jpgstarter final evo's art

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 7:44 PM
Could someone save them and upload them?

I can't see 4chan images and by the time I get home, they'll be gone

zimmerwald1915
10th October 2013, 7:45 PM
Whoever predicted that the official 2-d art would look better than the 3-d models was correct.

I think I know what seems off to me about the models: they're outlined in black. Was that necessary?

DarkKami
10th October 2013, 7:46 PM
Delphox's Art makes me actually like it better than the in-game leaks. 0.0

Munchy
10th October 2013, 7:47 PM
Could someone save them and upload them?

I can't see 4chan images and by the time I get home, they'll be gone
Can you see these?:
http://oi43.*******.com/2rwb3bq.jpg
http://oi42.*******.com/2r2r5gp.jpg
http://oi44.*******.com/2ez42mr.jpg

Sheyenne Thunderstorm
10th October 2013, 7:48 PM
I like how Fennekin drop and Froakie jump why up lol I'm sticking with Chespin.

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 7:48 PM
Can you see these?:

Yes, thank you

pokedigijedi
10th October 2013, 7:53 PM
I am stubbornly gonna stick with fennekin/braixen/delphox, why? because I like fire types and I always start with the fire starter at the beginning of each new generation of pokemon and besides I do not mind delphox's design anyway it isn't a bad design (granted it isn't epic either) plus its design is still much better than emboar's design.

noakai
10th October 2013, 7:55 PM
For me the official art isn't better than the in-game models lol. They're about the same. At least the art for Delphox has its wand in the art.

XXD17
10th October 2013, 7:56 PM
Thought this would fit better here: official art of final starter evolutions:

WOW...delphox looks GORGEOUS...chesnaught is still derp lol and greninja...its hands look odd and I would have preferred it if its irises stayed yellow...

Smeargle1987
10th October 2013, 7:56 PM
Gotta be honest-I like Delphox alot more now I can see its official artwork! Greninjas looks...odd?

So Delphox DOES use the wand still?!

Wizardly Oz
10th October 2013, 7:57 PM
Team Froakie, forever and always...

But I must say, I love Delphox's official art; it is mischievous, wise, and majestic. I will use it someday, but the first run is awarded to Froakie.
Chestnaught looks good. My mild grievances are its queer arms and fingers. I wish its ears were visible. GameFreak has some ear phobia, I swear.

MastersOfMonsters
10th October 2013, 7:58 PM
I am stubbornly gonna stick with fennekin/braixen/delphox, why? because I like fire types and I always start with the fire starter at the beginning of each new generation of pokemon and besides I do not mind delphox's design anyway it isn't a bad design (granted it isn't epic either) plus its design is still much better than emboar's design.

You're gonna stick with Delphox?

I get it. ^^

Wizardly Oz
10th October 2013, 8:02 PM
WOW...delphox looks GORGEOUS...chesnaught is still derp lol and greninja...its hands look odd and I would have preferred it if its irises stayed yellow...
I never noticed the iris change. They are tongue-colored, interesting.

You're gonna stick with Delphox?

I get it. ^^
Ohohohoho!

PsychoIncarnate
10th October 2013, 8:04 PM
I'm sorry, I still don't get the like for Delphox

Still ugly

Bundalings
10th October 2013, 8:05 PM
When we saw the first stages, I liked Chespin best. When we saw the second stages, I liked Frogadier best. Now that the final stages are known, I'm back to Chesnaught.

The official art for all three is fantastic. I wish Delphox's pose in-game wasn't so... passive. Same for Chesnaught. Maybe they'll have cool idle animations.

MastersOfMonsters
10th October 2013, 8:15 PM
@Wizardly
;3

Btw, how come neither PokéBeach nor Serebii has posted the Starter Evo Scans yet? o.o

Sukiza
10th October 2013, 8:18 PM
pff they made it even harder to decide which starter to use seems like fennekins art looks the best. but so many cool fire types this gen chosing between fire/flying and fire/psychic is a hard one.. and got to keep in mind how awesome other psychic types can be/are...

RNG_Reporter
10th October 2013, 8:23 PM
Gotta be honest-I like Delphox alot more now I can see its official artwork! Greninjas looks...odd?

So Delphox DOES use the wand still?!

This. Delphox looks really really cool. I might have to go for it!!!

I also agree that it seems like each starter is once again outclassed by other pokemon.

*PKMN Trainer Paddy*
10th October 2013, 8:23 PM
Tee hee where did all the Fennekin fans go? Must not have voted yet.....
Well Greninja looks alot better in its official art, but still awesome. Delphox has a really cool name and looks good, I really dont understand why there are so many anti-Delphox people out here. And as for Chesnaught, he has to be my favorite I know Quilladin looked derpy to say the least but Chesnaught does really make up for it. Poke-Bowser, yes please :D

JD
10th October 2013, 8:24 PM
Froakie master race.

Lion Demon
10th October 2013, 8:25 PM
Funny how drastic the change is towards the final starters. I personally love all three of them as much as each other. The only other region in which I did that was for Hoenn and Sinnoh and this is coming from someone who's extremely selective. I think I'll be going with Froakie (as I did since day 1) because I love all three of its evolutionary stages!

Lost Lore
10th October 2013, 8:32 PM
Can you see these?:

Aha, so Delphox does still have the stick!

All three of them look really nice there, though. Maybe this will help some of those who hate their in-game models like them a little more?

Still Team Chespin over here, myself. It makes me kind of sad that it's in dead last in the poll for right now, though...

Nacreous
10th October 2013, 8:32 PM
I like Chesnaught the most.Greninja kinda looks amateurish,while Delphox has too much fur.But I like that it kept its wand.

RNG_Reporter
10th October 2013, 8:43 PM
The bad thing about this choice is.. Charizard can cover my Fire type.. and I love that little panda that ends up Fight/Dark, so it's like... WHO DO I CHOOSE!!!

avsimone
10th October 2013, 8:45 PM
Alright, I've been with Chespin since the beginning and I'm still on team chespin ( even though Froakie's ninja design is kinda drawing me in... awks...) and I am so glad we get to choose from the original starters as well! (Mega Blastoise all the way!... until Mega Aggron of course B) ).

I'm incredibly happy with how Chesnaught's design turned out (could've been a better typing but whatever, I'll live). It looks like a beast, combined with the mega launcher tanky blastoise and I'm in starter heaven!

oh and the torchic event. I FINALLY get to try out a speed boost blaziken

Wallaroo42
10th October 2013, 8:49 PM
Oh man, Delphox looks waaay better in the official art. If it wasn't for the awesomeness of the bowl-cut knight I would probably pick Fennekin. I love the chespin line way to much for that though XD

PokeAJ
10th October 2013, 8:50 PM
I knew Delphox was hiding the stick in its robes all along!!! So happy the stick wand is there!

Plus side down side
10th October 2013, 8:51 PM
I'm so happy to see Fennekin getting more accepted. I'm happy with my choice, I think she will be a great starter.

red2000
10th October 2013, 8:59 PM
Chestnaught's official art makes me want to nickname mine Megatron so bad, but I'm going to stick with my theme

Greninja looks a little better, but it's going to take time before that tounge scarf isnt so weird to me. As for Delphox, I feel like its a nice change of pace from the physical oriented guys, in all honesty I think it's the most imaginative

Still not going back to Team Fenniken, but it's definitely a cool looking pokemon

keinhangia
10th October 2013, 8:59 PM
Here the fan art I did for our new starter, hope you like it! :D

TheBlueWarrior
10th October 2013, 9:00 PM
Picked Fennekin in the beginning, saw the first screenshot which didn't do Delphox justice and I was a little concerned, but once better images and videos came through I knew I made the right choice. Had a gut feeling the final evo would be Fire/Psychic even before I saw Braxien and I was right!

Golden_Latias
10th October 2013, 9:00 PM
Well, Delphox certainly looks more masculine in that official art and a lot slimmer than I thought it would be. o_O But I like it a lot. Chesnaught more or less looks as I thought it would, and Greninja's... looks terrible, honestly.

Meh, you guys are lucky. :( I have to wait until Christmas until I get to play X and Y, although that's largely self-imposed.

PokeAJ
10th October 2013, 9:06 PM
Here the fan art I did for our new starter, hope you like it! :D
Your Chesnaught and Delphox look amazing!!! Some of the best I've seen.

Arcticwolf10
10th October 2013, 9:18 PM
So what are Delphox's and Chesnaught's hidden abilities?

MuhFugginMoose
10th October 2013, 9:19 PM
So what are Delphox's and Chesnaught's hidden abilities?

We may not know for a little while.

Arcticwolf10
10th October 2013, 9:21 PM
We may not know for a little while.

How'd we get Greninja's?

Bundalings
10th October 2013, 9:22 PM
How'd we get Greninja's?

I think one was encountered in the Battle Tower equivalent.

Odious
10th October 2013, 9:24 PM
How'd we get Greninja's?

Wait what's his hidden ability?

Locormus
10th October 2013, 9:28 PM
Well, Delphox certainly looks more masculine in that official art and a lot slimmer than I thought it would be. o_O But I like it a lot. Chesnaught more or less looks as I thought it would, and Greninja's... looks terrible, honestly.

Meh, you guys are lucky. :( I have to wait until Christmas until I get to play X and Y, although that's largely self-imposed.

Has anybody seen that Adventures of Oliver Twist cartoon where Fagan is a fox? (http://www.toonarific.com/pics_root//00003119/sabanadvofolivertwist2.jpg) The new art for Delphox made me remind me of it.

As for another topic, Greninja is not as small as people thought!
- Chesnaught: 5'03" = Emboar: Confirmed
- Delphox: I assume it's 5'07", given its tallish stature.
- Greninja: 4'11" = Samurott: Confirmed

This would make it the shortest set of starters, when taken on averages, but counting in Serperior in GenV. Serperior doesn't really count, because its length is measured though, which means that GenV still holds that title actually, but GenVI would hold that title if all three starters are taken into account.

GenI: Tall
GenII: Tallest
GenIII: 5'07" average, or so..
GenIV: 5'07" average as well..
GenV: 5'02" without Serperior
GenVI: Thusfar 5'02", but Delphox is at least taller then that, but the average will likely remain under 5'07"..

Chespin1
10th October 2013, 9:29 PM
Wait what's his hidden ability?His hidden ability is Protean

Delphox: I assume it's 5'07", given its tallish stature.Delphox is actually 4'11

Arcticwolf10
10th October 2013, 9:29 PM
Wait what's his hidden ability?

Protaen/Protean iy M's a reverse color-change sorta... hope Delphox get's magic-bounce, she's far bulkier than Alakazam
Edit Magic Guard I mean....

Mr.Munchlax
10th October 2013, 9:31 PM
Is anyone else surprised to see that Delphox still has its stick after evolving?

Odious
10th October 2013, 9:33 PM
Is anyone else surprised to see that Delphox still has its stick after evolving?

Not really to be honest

Cresselia92
10th October 2013, 9:36 PM
Protaen/Protean iy M's a reverse color-change sorta... hope Delphox get's magic-bounce, she's far bulkier than Alakazam

Magic Guard would be neat. Life Orb abuse without recoil? Yes, please.

Arcticwolf10
10th October 2013, 9:44 PM
Magic Guard would be neat. Life Orb abuse without recoil? Yes, please.

Yeah she's decently bulky 75-80/75-80/95-100 is not to shabby does Magic Guard proct from SR?

PearlDex
10th October 2013, 9:50 PM
I pre-ordered X way back when the boxart had barely been released. Now it turns out I like Mewtwo Y and Charizard Y better than the X versions (oh man... I can feel the scorn of pokemon fans the world over... IT BURNS!). At least Chespin is in both versions. :)

Bundalings
10th October 2013, 9:54 PM
I pre-ordered X way back when the boxart had barely been released. Now it turns out I like Mewtwo Y and Charizard Y better than the X versions (oh man... I can feel the scorn of pokemon fans the world over... IT BURNS!). At least Chespin is in both versions. :)

Ask to swap games when you pick it up, they may let you.

Cresselia92
10th October 2013, 10:00 PM
Yeah she's decently bulky 75-80/75-80/95-100 is not to shabby does Magic Guard proct from SR?

It prevents all kinds of indirect damage, so yes. The only indirect damage it takes is from self-inflicted damage, like Belly Drum or Confusion.

Locormus
10th October 2013, 10:05 PM
His hidden ability is Protean

Delphox is actually 4'11

Proof? That's the same height as Greninja and Samurott, which are small pokemon.. :S

Wasn't it that the pokemon changes into the type of the move it used last?

So automatic STAB second turn onwards on whatever move it gets locked into if it wears Choice Specs? Kind of gimmicky, but it at least gives a very large surprise factor (for those expecting Torrent) when that Extrasensory suddenly hurts a lot more on the second turn.

Chespin1
10th October 2013, 10:10 PM
Proof? That's the same height as Greninja and Samurott, which are small pokemon.. :S
Right here

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4622b879fbdecfd17d47abe4f0634f8c/tumblr_mufjw48BXJ1r4huhoo1_1280.jpg

Aurath8
10th October 2013, 10:12 PM
Oh how fortunes change. Froakie, was the least popular starter way back in January, but has since crept up to first.

RNG_Reporter
10th October 2013, 10:13 PM
Love how people keep saying "her" and "she" when referring to Delphox.

Honestly. Their second abilities are great. Too bad they can't start with them.

Chibi_Muffin
10th October 2013, 10:14 PM
Woah. The first ingame pictures of the finally evolved starters made them look horrible, in the beginning anyway. The official art, however, does them justice. I don't find Chesnaught that bad anymore - still my least favourite Grass starter, but that's more due to the others being great. Greninja's pretty good, and Delphox...! Absolutely gorgeous. No longer looking like an awkward cone with an unfitting head, but a sleek vixen witch with a magic wand to boot! ^_^ The Kalos starters are now about on par with... probably Sinnoh and Kanto for me. Not the best, but I'd be comfortable with any of them. Guess it just took some time.

Anyways, if you couldn't guess already, Fennekin was my first choice way back in January or so, and Fennekin is still my choice now. I like the more elegant starters, and magic has always been something I love, so seeing my starter become a witch Pokemon definitely appeals to me! I plan to SR for a female and name her Xanthia. Can't wait to get her in a couple of days!

Edit: For the record, I usually refer to Delphox as a she because that's the future gender of my own one (admittedly because it looks feminine). I tend to do the same to a lot of Pokemon.

Odious
10th October 2013, 10:18 PM

I call a few Pokemon "she" or "her" mainly because a few Pokemon for example like Mawile appear Female(even though it can be a male)

MuhFugginMoose
10th October 2013, 10:20 PM

We only know of one correct?
I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

greninjamaster
10th October 2013, 10:20 PM
Froakie for me.

dman_dustin
10th October 2013, 10:22 PM
Did anyone's opinion of Delphox change when you saw the official art.

Because I saw the official art and I love Delphox even more.

And I do like Greninja a lot more as well. However.....I still don't think it should've had a tongue scarf, it should've been made out of bubbles.

TRG
10th October 2013, 10:25 PM

And I do like Greninja a lot more as well. However.....I still don't think it should've had a tongue scarf, it should've been made out of bubbles.

The official artwork really made me even more fond of Delphox (Best fire starter since Blazekin for sure)... But Chesnaught is still my dude.

Arcticwolf10
10th October 2013, 10:26 PM
There'd
It prevents all kinds of indirect damage, so yes. The only indirect damage it takes is from self-inflicted damage, like Belly Drum or Confusion.

Epic trolling would happenplus her bulk is far better than Alakazam even if she's slower... if Delphox did get Magic Guard I certainly see her going OU

Lorde
10th October 2013, 10:29 PM
*Looks at new poll* Can't believe Fennekin is stuck in second place, almost tied with Chespin while Froakie is far ahead. Oh the shame. Just when I was starting to like Froakie too. I think I'm warming up to Chespin's line since its final form looks so awesome. I might change my entire X version team to work around that (I wasn't planning on having a Grass-type beforehand so this changes everything).

IrieFuse
10th October 2013, 10:31 PM
so that thing is indeed greninja's tongue? we can't even see it's mouth so it's hard for me to wrap my mind around that. but regardless, I love the frog and I will be using it in my Y version and chesnaught in my X version. delphox honestly just does not grab my attention at all. i don't dislike it but I also don't like it.

SageofTruth
10th October 2013, 10:31 PM
To my fellow Froakanites and to all who want to know, I have acquired a copy of POkemon Y and will be updating with info that other places may not have covered(Pariculary the froakie line dex entries).

Lilligantastic
10th October 2013, 10:32 PM
The official artwork really made me even more fond of Delphox (Best fire starter since Blazekin for sure)... But Chesnaught is still my dude.
What's its official artwork? (Thanks in advance!)

dman_dustin
10th October 2013, 10:36 PM
so that thing is indeed greninja's tongue? we can't even see it's mouth so it's hard for me to wrap my mind around that..

Even if it wasn't Greninja's tongue, it's still way out of place for its design.

TRG
10th October 2013, 10:37 PM
What's its official artwork? (Thanks in advance!)

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/e/e0/Burigaron.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/9/9d/Mafoxy.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b6/Gekkouga.png

Mr.Munchlax
10th October 2013, 10:40 PM
I'm definitely getting Chespin on Pokémon X because, once I transfer my pokémon from Black 2 via pokémon bank, I'll have a triad of mammalian starters

Samurott
Typhlosion
Chesnaught

I'll also try to get Froakie as an additional starter so I can have an additional triad of Water starters at different evolutionary stages:

Samurott
Frogadier
Totodile

Lorde
10th October 2013, 10:40 PM
Ironically enough, Delphox's artwork makes it look even worse in my opinion. Now I'm fully convinced that I won't use one. Chesnaught looks even more cool though, if that's even possible. I really like how Chespin went from being cute, to silly-looking, and straight to being awesome after evolving. I love it when Pokemon surprise me like that.

Lilligantastic
10th October 2013, 10:41 PM
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/e/e0/Burigaron.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/9/9d/Mafoxy.png
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b6/Gekkouga.png

Thank you! Wow they all look great! Especially Delphox.

Leosnake
10th October 2013, 10:42 PM
To be honest I have always liked the Fennekin line since it first came out and I still don't get why some people in regards to all the final evolution are in denial about them being real with just under two days to go ( not here but else where on the web I mean such as YouTube).

IrieFuse
10th October 2013, 10:44 PM
Even if it wasn't Greninja's tongue, it's still way out of place for its design.

I agree but I like it's design a lot besides the tongue so I'm not going to let that change my opinion about it.
something that will make me feel better about its tongue always being there is if frogadier is shown to at least occasionally show it's tongue.

SergantGold
10th October 2013, 10:48 PM
I jut wanna say, for the record, Delphox is wearing a robe not a dress. Thus, it is unisex.

Arcticwolf10
10th October 2013, 10:48 PM
Wow, Fennekin's catching up! Poor Chespin's still unloved though...

dman_dustin
10th October 2013, 10:49 PM
I agree but I like it's design a lot besides the tongue so I'm not going to let that change my opinion about it.
something that will make me feel better about its tongue always being there is if frogadier is shown to at least occasionally show it's tongue.

Oh no, I agree, Greninja's official artwork, really edged out my dislike for it being Froakie's final evolution and I'm more than okay with it (I'll definitely be getting it as my starter on X, while Delphox will be my Y starter). I just think the tongue just looks so out of place.

Lorde
10th October 2013, 10:55 PM
I jut wanna say, for the record, Delphox is wearing a robe not a dress. Thus, it is unisex.

It still looks sort of feminine though, but I wouldn't have a problem if it at least looked dynamic in the games like it does in its official artwork. It seems too triangular in the games and maybe that's just because of the graphics or whatever, but it's a problem imo. Greninja and Chesnaught look great though. It's like Gamefreak paid more attention into designing them.

Mr.Munchlax
10th October 2013, 11:00 PM
It still looks sort of feminine though, but I wouldn't have a problem if it at least looked dynamic in the games like it does in its official artwork. It seems too triangular in the games and maybe that's just because of the graphics or whatever, but it's a problem imo. Greninja and Chesnaught look great though. It's like Gamefreak paid more attention into designing them.
Good, it's aout time we got more of a feminine starter. I personally that Meganium was the last one fitting this category. So it's nice of Game Freak to promote girl power a bit

While I do agree with you, I admit that seeing the official artwork has really caused me to like Greninja even more. I may even reconsider not evolving my Frogadier after seeing it

pokébrony4869
10th October 2013, 11:08 PM
January 8: Fennekin>Froakie>Chespin.
October 10: Fennekin=Froakie>Chespin. I like all three a lot but Chesnaught just a little less.

Rio!
10th October 2013, 11:14 PM
Right I've made my mind u; I'm going the Froakie. I've seen it in battle and it looks pretty awesome using Surf. 8D
I remember someone mentioning earlier that choosing Fennekin gets you Chespin at the end; Does choosing Froakie get you Fennekin?
If so that is just one more reason to take that route. Can't wait 'til Saturday now!

Pamizard
10th October 2013, 11:21 PM
Right I've made my mind u; I'm going the Froakie. I've seen it in battle and it looks pretty awesome using Surf. 8D
I remember someone mentioning earlier that choosing Fennekin gets you Chespin at the end; Does choosing Froakie get you Fennekin?
If so that is just one more reason to take that route. Can't wait 'til Saturday now!

yes u will get fennekin later on if you choose froakie. Thats why i change my mind and going with froakie first!

pokébrony4869
10th October 2013, 11:22 PM
I am unsure which one to pick. When i play rpgs i love playing the magic weilder and am not good with using rogue/ninja/thief characters. Psychic is also my favorite type. However, i love the fact that i totally called froakie's final evo being waterdark and being a ninja when it was supposedly water/fighting grass/dark or the current typings and most thought water fighting. Because Frokie becomes a water dark ninja, i want one and call it Dororo. So my dilemma is: do i choose the one i will be better with and whose typing i like better, or the one who will have the cooler nickname?

Rio!
10th October 2013, 11:25 PM
yes u will get fennekin later on if you choose froakie. Thats why i change my mind and going with froakie first!

That certainly makes my decision even easier. :B

*PKMN Trainer Paddy*
10th October 2013, 11:25 PM

Am I the only one that thinks those cream parts look out of place on its design too? All these flaws aside though, Greninja is a great looking Pokemon but will not take me away from Chesnaught.

RaiXku
10th October 2013, 11:26 PM
Fennekin has always and will always be the best of the 3 in my opinion. Delphox only further solidifies my love of Fennekin.

cmats4020
10th October 2013, 11:27 PM

I actually liked the fan art version of Delphox more. I wish it had the same pose as the fan art; was really interesting and not as "passive." Nevertheless, Delphox is still my favorite starter.

I like the tongue-scarf. It's something unexpected and pretty unique. The more I look at Greninja, the more I like it. I think Delphox and Greninja are officially tied for me.

dman_dustin
10th October 2013, 11:29 PM
Am I the only one that thinks those cream parts look out of place on its design too? All these flaws aside though, Greninja is a great looking Pokemon but will not take me away from Chesnaught.

I don't know.

Honestly I don't really care since they are far better than the pink tongue scarf thing.

I guess the cream parts are supposed to mirror the foam/bubbles.

Leosnake
10th October 2013, 11:31 PM

Wait what? Where did you find this I missed it. Plus I get the feeling that some friends of mine will not be too pleased with themselves unless I let them know before hand since I always seem to read up on it more than they do (One of them really doesn't like grass Pokemon and one just doesn't like Froakie). This would really solve are starter problem in regards of which one to pick.

2nickpick
10th October 2013, 11:32 PM
Thank you! Wow they all look great! Especially Delphox.

What is Greninjas tail doing?

IrieFuse
10th October 2013, 11:33 PM
What is Greninjas tail doing?

its tail is not doing anything. it's very small.

Legendary Charizard
10th October 2013, 11:36 PM
I have to admit that after seeing the artwork for Delphox, I actually think it looks cool. Not my favorite fire starter, but I like it. I still don't like greninja though. Chesnaught is pretty cool too

wulpix
10th October 2013, 11:47 PM
At first I was a bit iffy on the starters, but you know what? They warmed up to me, I'm going to be using Fennekin in my main game of Y while I'll be using Froakie in X.

Steampunk
11th October 2013, 12:15 AM
At first I was a bit iffy on the starters, but you know what? They warmed up to me, I'm going to be using Fennekin in my main game of Y while I'll be using Froakie in X.

And yet again people neglect Chespin. XD
Now, I think that While the artwork for Delphox was....lacking, it makes up for it in the 3D model. Chesnaught made me want him the second I saw him. And Geninja has an interesting typing, and unique design.

Overall I'm interested to see how many people like/dislike the starters(specifically Delphox) after they actually get the game in their hands and see the 3D model.

Rhynox
11th October 2013, 12:18 AM
So it doesn't seem like chesnaught'll be able to learn shell smash, as no one's been able to get it through level up, and all the shell smash users are likely not in its egg group. Sad panda

Kenta master
11th October 2013, 12:18 AM
Can u guys tell me:

Delphox special or physycal?
Greninja special or physycal?
Chesnaught special or physycal?

Lorde
11th October 2013, 12:19 AM
I'm going to be using Fennekin in my main game of Y while I'll be using Froakie in X.

That's pretty much what I had planned from the start, but I'm gonna choose Chespin in X version instead. I just can't get into Froakie because of how over-hyped it has become. I don't usually root for the underdog, but Chespin's line deserves a bit more respect in my opinion. I was guilty of making fun of Quilladin when it was revealed, but now that I've seen Chesnaught, my thoughts on it have changed slightly.

XXD17
11th October 2013, 12:20 AM
Can u guys tell me:

special
mixed
physical

Cresselia92
11th October 2013, 12:20 AM
Can u guys tell me:

Delphox, special.
Greninja, mixed but more leaned on special.
Chesnaught, physical.

EDIT: Ninjask'd.

Kenta master
11th October 2013, 12:26 AM
Delphox, special.
Greninja, mixed but more leaned on special.
Chesnaught, physical.

EDIT: Ninjask'd.

And natures?

Delphox - Timid or modest?
Greninja - timid or modest?
Chesnaught - jolly or adamant?

Cresselia92
11th October 2013, 12:29 AM
And natures?

Delphox - Timid or modest?
Greninja - timid or modest?
Chesnaught - jolly or adamant?

Delphox: both are fine, but I'd take Modest
Greninja: Rash if you want to go mixed, Modest if you want to go only special
Chesnaught: Adamant

RNG_Reporter
11th October 2013, 12:30 AM
shiny Froakie and Greninja has been found! instagram #shinypokemon

clasor7
11th October 2013, 12:31 AM
i know right! i thought fennekin was the best looking one at first but seeing delphox and greninja changed my mind. frokie all the waay!
!

Arcticwolf10
11th October 2013, 12:32 AM
Anyone think of a good set for Delphox? I was thinking

Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Power-Up Punch (75-79 base attack is usable plus the attack boost and it covers Rock types)
Strong Fairy move (I see Psychic's hopefully getting some good Fairy moves)
Nasty Plot/Calm Mind/Psychic?

Rio!
11th October 2013, 12:36 AM

A black shiny suits Greninja perfectly. B)

Cresselia92
11th October 2013, 12:37 AM

You mean, these ones?

http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.5thvillage.me/distilleryimage7.s3.amazonaws.com/xab923fb631f611e3a9dd22000a9e29a7_6.jpg.pagespeed. ic.fkUzwQ97OU.jpghttp://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws.com/6381a78031eb11e3808622000a1f9aaf_7.jpg

Well, they surely kept their word. Shiny Greninja has a very different color compared to regular Greninja. But I'll be frank... I prefer the regular color.

Anyone think of a good set for Delphox? I was thinking

Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Power-Up Punch (75-80 base attack is usable plus the attack boost and it covers Rock types)
Strong Fairy move (I see Psychic's hopefully getting some good Fairy moves)
Nasty Plot/Calm Mind?

I'd go with:

- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Focus Blast/Fairy move

That's of course assuming that it can learn the last four moves.

shac
11th October 2013, 12:38 AM
I have to admit that after seeing the artwork for Delphox, I actually think it looks cool. Not my favorite fire starter, but I like it. I still don't like greninja though. Chesnaught is pretty cool too

Essentially this. Delphox looks cooler than what i first thought of it. Chesnaught is alright too. Greninja is just meh. It has got an interesting design with the tongue scarf and everything, but it still does not live up to the potential it had as froagadier (is it?)

RNG_Reporter
11th October 2013, 12:43 AM
I like the idea of shiny pokemon, and the thrill of finding one, etc.. but in the end I always prefer the originals. Hate having a team full of shinies.. feel like a nooblol

-Nator-
11th October 2013, 12:46 AM
I WANT a shiny Chespin ever so much but by the time I did get one, pretty much everyone else in the world would be in the post-game on their file.

BurningWhiteKyurem
11th October 2013, 12:48 AM
I was a big fan of Fennekin, Chespin and Froakie in that order.

Now: Greninja, Chesnaught, Delphox.

Though to shake up my gameplay, I'm going to use Chesnaught (or maybe use Bank to get all 3 Kalos starters).

-Nator-
11th October 2013, 12:56 AM
Before the final evos: Fennekin, Chespin, Froakie

After the final evos: Chespin, Froakie, Fennekin

Second Gen in a row the Fire starter is my least favorite.

Arcticwolf10
11th October 2013, 1:04 AM
You mean, these ones?

http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.5thvillage.me/distilleryimage7.s3.amazonaws.com/xab923fb631f611e3a9dd22000a9e29a7_6.jpg.pagespeed. ic.fkUzwQ97OU.jpghttp://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws.com/6381a78031eb11e3808622000a1f9aaf_7.jpg

Well, they surely kept their word. Shiny Greninja has a very different color compared to regular Greninja. But I'll be frank... I prefer the regular color.

I'd go with:

- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Focus Blast/Fairy move

That's of course assuming that it can learn the last four moves.

I don't know though, Power-up Punch is tempting... Delphox's attack is usable at any rate... plus it raises the attack each usage

Hunter Talon
11th October 2013, 1:08 AM
Can you add an "all three" option? This is the first time I've liked all three starters since gen 2. And they're so much cooler-looking than any of the past ones.

Delphox and Chesnaught are my favorite Fire and Grass starters now. Greninja is awesome too, pretty close to Empoleon.

Minimewtwo
11th October 2013, 1:13 AM
I chose Fennekin as my starter today and to my surprise I got a shiny version! It's silver with a white muzzle, red eyes and red ear tufts.

The_Nanobots
11th October 2013, 1:15 AM
Would you mind posting a picture?

-Nator-
11th October 2013, 1:15 AM
I chose Fennekin as my starter today and to my surprise I got a shiny version! It's silver with a white muzzle, red eyes and red ear tufts.

Do you have photo/video evidence?

MyNameIsMark
11th October 2013, 1:19 AM
Greninja looks the coolest.

TheEliteEmpoleon
11th October 2013, 1:29 AM
Wow at the poll. Just saying, I've been with Froakie since January 8. On the topic of Froakie, Greninja's shiny form is so cool. It looks like an actual ninja, and the colors it has go nicely.

MuhFugginMoose
11th October 2013, 1:36 AM
Do you have photo/video evidence?

Inb4 his answer: Something happened and the file was corrupted and all was lost.
Something nice and made up. :)

SergantGold
11th October 2013, 1:43 AM

While I do prefer Delphox over any other starters, or any othe pokemon for that matter, I still believe they give equal attention into designing each pokemon. They way you typed made it sound like you think GF put more attention into the starters you like, when that isn't true. The only pokemon line GF did not put attention to was the Vanilluxe line, as it wasn't made by GF, it was made by a different guy from

725roy
11th October 2013, 1:44 AM
Honestly, Chespin has been my favorite all along and I really don't like Greninja.

Raro
11th October 2013, 2:03 AM
What nature are people looking at for their starters?

I'm not too sure what to do with Chespin. I want to invest some points into Attack, but it's Defence stat is better... Not much of a strategical player when it comes to in-game run throughs, so I guess Adamant would be safe? Or a neutral nature.

The Imposter
11th October 2013, 2:03 AM

I got mine today and when I got my starter it was a shiny Garchomp! For realz! Believe me! But seriously, I somehow don't believe you. Pics please.

Wonder what shiny Chespin is. I'm choosing it so maybe it'll be shiny after a lot of SRing.

Crimson_Blazer
11th October 2013, 2:04 AM
Well i guess those other shinies from the demo are fake, since froakie's shiny is powder blue and not green

KKS-Lapras
11th October 2013, 2:04 AM
Does anyone have a pic of a Shiny Greninja?

Zhanton
11th October 2013, 2:09 AM

Someone posted this earlier:

http://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws.com/6381a78031eb11e3808622000a1f9aaf_7.jpg

Cresselia92
11th October 2013, 2:10 AM

Here you are.

You mean, these ones?

-Nator-
11th October 2013, 2:11 AM
I found an interesting chart, that though I don't know if all this information is true, it's still worth sharing.

http://images.4chan.org/vp/src/1381442692396.jpg

skittlepup
11th October 2013, 2:13 AM
So Fennekin lost its place as the favorite starter... oh well, I'm still picking it when I play Y on Saturday. Going to soft-reset for a female and naming it Fen. :3

KKS-Lapras
11th October 2013, 2:13 AM
Here you are.

I love both the regular and shiny versions. I also love the popularity switch in the polls. Somebody had in their signature a picture of the 3 starters, and Chespin and Froakie were saying, you think you like Fennekin now, just wait til you see her when she evolves. I love that that came to pass, though I actually like Delphox to.

avsimone
11th October 2013, 2:20 AM
I found an interesting chart, that though I don't know if all this information is true, it's still worth sharing.

Yeah, I've seen these stats posted before on this forum and a few others. Those may not be the exact stats but they are pretty good approximations. not I wish Chesnaught had some decent resistances to match that defensive stat X(

LegendaryTrainer, Link
11th October 2013, 2:23 AM
I still am on the Fennekin train. But I do like Froakie's final evo. NINJAS....... But I still go with Fire.

Taodragon
11th October 2013, 2:24 AM

Where did those stats come from? Those seem inconsistent with what's been posted for them on Smogon and even if they're also an estimate, it's still may not be exactly right.