PDA

View Full Version : General Characters/Storyline Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Wulava
10th October 2013, 6:43 AM
Discuss the colorful and unique characters, and the storyline of Pokemon X and Y here!

All posts should be constructive and contain ideas, support/elaborate their ideas, and must contribute to the discussions and/or on-going arguments. Also, one-liner posts such as "I agree.", "I want [this] to be in the game!", "This sucks!" will all be considered SPAM, deleted and you will be possibly infracted.

Let's promote a worthwhile discussion!

King Shuckle
10th October 2013, 9:02 PM
I guess I'll start this off. I have complied a list of trainer classes seen in videos and screenshots throughout 4chan, YouTube, and other various places so far.

Youngster
Lass
Rising Star-F
Preschooler-M
Preschooler-F
Schoolboy
Schoolgirl
Roller Skater-M
Roller Skater-F
Gardener
Beauty
Poké Fan-M
Poké Fan-F
Backpacker-M
Hiker
Psychic-M
Swimmer-F
Punk Boy
Punk Girl
Hex Maniac
Fairy Tale Girl
Pokémon Ranger-M
Tourist-F (not sure if there is a male counterpart)
Twins (Double)
Poké Fan Family (Double)
Punk Couple (Double)
Ace Trainer-F

I know this may not seem interesting to you guys, but trainer classes are a big deal to me :P

Odious
10th October 2013, 9:04 PM
All characters are irreverent....besides Youngster Joey and his top percentage Scatterbug :p

diakyu
11th October 2013, 1:52 AM
I guess I'll start this off. I have complied a list of trainer classes seen in videos and screenshots throughout 4chan, YouTube, and other various places so far.

Youngster
Lass
Rising Star-F
Preschooler-M
Preschooler-F
Schoolboy
Schoolgirl
Roller Skater-M
Roller Skater-F
Gardener
Beauty
Poké Fan-M
Poké Fan-F
Backpacker-M
Hiker
Psychic-M
Swimmer-F
Punk Boy
Punk Girl
Hex Maniac
Fairy Tale Girl
Pokémon Ranger-M
Tourist-F (not sure if there is a male counterpart)
Twins (Double)
Poké Fan Family (Double)
Punk Couple (Double)
Ace Trainer-F

I know this may not seem interesting to you guys, but trainer classes are a big deal to me :P
Thanks a lot for this.

And it seems Looker is giving Cynthia a run for her money in most games appeared in.

Wulava
11th October 2013, 9:35 AM
Interesting.

I have been summoned to the "Looker Bureau" and then it said "Chapter 1: This guy is a real...Looker"

It appears that Looker shows up again post-game.
Mr. Handsome looks like a post-game staple character, and it appears that there will be a small post-game storyline involving him.

The Lumiose city promotional artwork showed two men walking side by side, the one appears to be Looker, and the other appears to be Colress. I guess it is safe to assume that Colress will also appear as other have speculated. His research about Pokemon Strength could turn out to be about Mega Evos after all.

Black Light
11th October 2013, 9:54 AM
The Lumiose city promotional artwork showed two men walking side by side, the one appears to be Looker, and the other appears to be Colress. I guess it is safe to assume that Colress will also appear as other have speculated. His research about Pokemon Strength could turn out to be about Mega Evos after all.

That's awesome if Colress has an appearance this Gen! Personally, I feel he is definitely one character from past games who deserves an appearance in X and Y considering he was trying to unlock the hidden strength in Pokemon and this Gen having the Mega Evolutions.

I hope we are given the chance to battle him too.

Platinum fan.
11th October 2013, 4:38 PM
I figured Looker would appear. As a international policeman he could be anywhere. I'm alright with Looker appearing all over the place oddly enough.

By the way, are we allowed to name our friends/rivals? I'm not betting on being able to name Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno, but what about Calem/Serena? Are we allowed to name them? It's weird that in some cases we cannot name our main rivals anymore.

Ver-mont
11th October 2013, 5:58 PM
I figured Looker would appear. As a international policeman he could be anywhere. I'm alright with Looker appearing all over the place oddly enough.

By the way, are we allowed to name our friends/rivals? I'm not betting on being able to name Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno, but what about Calem/Serena? Are we allowed to name them? It's weird that in some cases we cannot name our main rivals anymore.

Their names are set. Even Calem/Serena.

Grey Wind
11th October 2013, 6:04 PM
The whole Looker storyline is really interesting. I've always wanted something like that post-game and I'm glad that it involves Xerosic.

Lorde
11th October 2013, 9:47 PM
Their names are set. Even Calem/Serena.

Too bad. I always liked naming the rivals whenever possible, but I guess it's not a big loss. I'm not at all glad to see that Looker's back though; I know some people worship the ground he walks on, but I've never really liked his character. All those little missions he has the player do seem like a fun way to pass the time during the post-game though.

shadowF
11th October 2013, 11:01 PM
What is serena/calem's teams?
Also can we rebattle them post game?

npdargy312
12th October 2013, 5:15 AM
Does anyone know the final teams of Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, and your rival...or where I can find out?

Blazios
12th October 2013, 6:46 AM
Yay another indirect character reference.

"The famous Professor Oak's grandson came here to the Kalos region to study abroad. He got "Bonjour" down just fine, but he still always said "Smell ya later!" when he left!"

You know, someone on Route 10 does mention Colress by name, saying that he's visited the place.

Endolise
12th October 2013, 6:52 AM
Yay another indirect character reference.

"The famous Professor Oak's grandson came here to the Kalos region to study abroad. He got "Bonjour" down just fine, but he still always said "Smell ya later!" when he left!"

You know, someone on Route 10 does mention Colress by name, saying that he's visited the place.

Drasna offers this fun fact:

"You know, my grandparents came to Kalos from a distant region. They came from a town where the past lives on... When I was growing up at their knees, they raised me on tales of the Pokémon of time and space. It's really thanks to those stories that I decided to become a Dragon-type Trainer."

So I'm guessing that they're from Celestic Town?

Blazios
12th October 2013, 7:20 AM
In the same building in the North Boulevard of Lumiose, there's a reference to the Riches, a random ghost girl who shows up and says I'm "not the one" and the Leader of Saffron's Fighting Dojo in person. This game has so many references to older gens, eh?

KumaPanda
12th October 2013, 7:22 AM
I heard from leaks that if you play as the male protagonist, you end up with Shauna, but another leaker said it was Serena? I'm confused. Does this mean girls end up with Tierno? Or is it Calem?

vaporeon89
12th October 2013, 8:11 PM
Is there any list of Trainer Classes?

Trainer Yusuf
12th October 2013, 8:14 PM
I heard from leaks that if you play as the male protagonist, you end up with Shauna, but another leaker said it was Serena? I'm confused. Does this mean girls end up with Tierno? Or is it Calem?

Shauna develops feelings for you if you are the boy, and if you are the girl, Shauna just wants to be friends with you.

Serena thing was a misunderstanding.

Is there any list of Trainer Classes?

http://archive.foolz.us/vp/thread/14299043/#14299043

It is an early, incomplete one, but is one nonetheless.

Bulbapedia will likely have a better one unless Joe decides to beat them to it.

duckieninja
12th October 2013, 8:35 PM
So the girl PC doesn't get a "romance" with anyone?

Underachiever007
12th October 2013, 8:42 PM
So the girl PC doesn't get a "romance" with anyone?

Nope. I wouldn't be surprised to see numerous Yuri fan manga about her and Shauna to hit the Internet in a couple of months though.

Grey Wind
12th October 2013, 8:44 PM
The rivals in this game are kind of annoying. Serena is bland as hell and Tierno has a really irritating personality. Trevor and Shauna are ok, but they're still pretty boring. The whole group dynamic is pretty interesting though, and I like how they actually... exist when you're not talking to them. It's cool to see the rivals battling trainers and what not.

Vintrial
12th October 2013, 8:50 PM
Is AZ the king they all talk about ?

Lorde
12th October 2013, 8:54 PM
I'm not surprised at Tierno being irritating; the moment I saw his artwork I was worried that he would be. Strange how in this case I could judge a book by its cover lol. I really don't care for the trio though (Shauna, Tierno, Trevor). I know a lot of people were happy about them when they were revealed, but the idea of having a whole group of characters who support you throughout your journey didn't really interest me. I'm only here for the two playable characters (Calem and Serena).

Itzen
12th October 2013, 8:57 PM
The rivals in this game are kind of annoying. Serena is bland as hell and Tierno has a really irritating personality. Trevor and Shauna are ok, but they're still pretty boring. The whole group dynamic is pretty interesting though, and I like how they actually... exist when you're not talking to them. It's cool to see the rivals battling trainers and what not.

They are quite annoying, but what I really find annoying is the nickname they give you. They use it all the time. I chose mine without putting much thought into it and now I hate it. Is there any way to change it?

DaftPol
12th October 2013, 9:06 PM
Hi! I'm freakin' out. I've completed the main game and have captured Mewtwo, but in Kiloude City I can't finde my rival. What should i do to find she? Thanks :3

diakyu
13th October 2013, 5:19 AM
Sycamore assistants are quite, uh, interesting I guess. In a sense that I think there is something wrong with them.

sarysa
13th October 2013, 6:31 AM
The pop culture overload and humor in this game reminds me why I love the series. The one-off characters are more entertaining than the story characters...

Aside from shorts kid being back yet again, I've seen a psychic referencing Over 9000, a Roughneck speaking like a tough guy while thrilled about his Jigglypuff evolving (which itself invokes memory of that old rap in the anime 15 years ago, where the vocalist was overenthusiastic about Wigglytuff) and more.
Also, you now have to click through the trainers' loss messages...so they're hard to miss.

Definitely worth talking to everyone in this installment. Will be hard to put down. :)

ilesst
13th October 2013, 7:24 AM
story line was kinda weak

Unlimited
13th October 2013, 7:30 AM
I'm almost at the 2nd gym, and I do kinda have a problem with the storyline. Even though generations 1-4 really didn't have much going on in terms of story, the game at least felt like it had a direction. Gen 5 was a lot better in developing story and characters to push the player forward, but X and Y really just feel like the plot is all over the place. I have no idea what my goal is (outside of gym badges, elite 4, etc., but even this is barely mentioned in this game). Every new zone/route/city feels like I'm just randomly set to work because, well, I am the main character. No other explanation is need apparently.

It kinda reminds me of the Dragon Quest games.

Also, Team Flare is by far the worst villainous team the series has seen. I really hope gen 7 brings back Team Rocket.

diakyu
13th October 2013, 7:55 AM
I'm almost at the 2nd gym, and I do kinda have a problem with the storyline. Even though generations 1-4 really didn't have much going on in terms of story, the game at least felt like it had a direction. Gen 5 was a lot better in developing story and characters to push the player forward, but X and Y really just feel like the plot is all over the place. I have no idea what my goal is (outside of gym badges, elite 4, etc., but even this is barely mentioned in this game). Every new zone/route/city feels like I'm just randomly set to work because, well, I am the main character. No other explanation is need apparently.
The group is searching for the secret to Mega Evolution (they say it a lot). That's why they're traveling. The professor told them where to go, and they're working from there. You're also only at the second gym.

Also, Team Flare is by far the worst villainous team the series has seen. I really hope gen 7 brings back Team Rocket.
Whelp

Unlimited
13th October 2013, 8:05 AM
The group is searching for the secret to Mega Evolution (they say it a lot). That's why they're traveling. The professor told them where to go, and they're working from there. You're also only at the second gym.

Whelp

Yes, I was being a little facetious with that I said, but sending a group of 10 year old kids out to find the secret to "Mega Evolution" while barely explaining what it actually is. "Go to Camphrier Town, where you will find a clue" is basically what you were told after you picked up your Kanto starter. It feels like a wild goose chase. It's nothing like the previous generations.

As I said, everything (to me) feels scattered and directionless.

diakyu
13th October 2013, 8:25 AM
Yes, I was being a little facetious with that I said, but sending a group of 10 year old kids out to find the secret to "Mega Evolution" while barely explaining what it actually is. "Go to Camphrier Town, where you will find a clue" is basically what you were told after you picked up your Kanto starter. It feels like a wild goose chase. It's nothing like the previous generations.
No.... It's exactly like every other generation. In fact it might have more direction.

Gen 1: Oak basically says go fight some pokemon and maybe finish the pokedex. No direction.
Gen 2: "Go after that thief. We don't know where he went, but we figure you'll find him eventually". So where do I go?
Gen 3: I literally don't remember what the goal here was, so I guess I can't talk about this one.
Gen 4: Work on Professor Rowan's pokedex. Follow your friend how should lay off the cola.
Gen 5BW: Your Mom thinks you should go adventuring. Leave. And work on my pokedex while you're at it.

All gens lack direction at one point, especially 1, 2, and 4. They pick up eventually just like this game does (after the third gym). And about sending children out to do adult work, that's every pokemon game.

VainAttempts
13th October 2013, 8:38 AM
Even though it's very obvious, how exactly does Shauna have feelings for you? Like does she confirm this? I'm only just finishing up with the third gym, so I don't know if this is a fact or just something like Hilda and N where fans think they like each other.

sarysa
13th October 2013, 9:14 AM
Even though it's very obvious, how exactly does Shauna have feelings for you? Like does she confirm this? I'm only just finishing up with the third gym, so I don't know if this is a fact or just something like Hilda and N where fans think they like each other.

This is the exact same for the female main character. It's probably just a "best friends" relationship for both heroes. (for some reason, Japanese games tend to get translated with more intimate sounding friendships...or we Americans are oversensitive to possible shipping)

Oshakpop
13th October 2013, 10:55 AM
This is a bit Post-game Spoiler, but it's a Storyline!

So Looker returns and rents a building in Lumiose City. He poses as a Detective (Apparently we aren't supposed to know he's a member of the International Police) and simply, you become his detective partner, you help a homeless girl, she becomes the assistant to looker, but she's also the leader of this gang, but the gang become good, then it turns out Emma gets a job with Dr. Xerosic who puts her in this robotic suit which controls her under a name 'Essentia' and steals Pokémon. In the end, Xerosic gives in (He's actually much nicer than you'd think in the main story), Looker reveals his true identity, reveals he's leaving, Xerosic goes with him to be arrrested, Looker gives you his name 'Looker' (as it's not his real one but we never get his actual name) and Emma becomes the head of the Detective Bureau. This all takes place in Lumiose City.

It's actually a really good post-game story. Also, Malva, the E4 member, reveals she used to be a member of Team Flare. You battle her but she only has her Pyroar.

I loved the addition of this, as it gave more of a story added on. I just wish there was more postgame storylines like this. My thoughts, is that in a potential sequel, Emma returns possibly older. It's nice to see Looker again too! I suspect this also confirms that XY are set after all other games (Not completely sure though)

Unlimited
13th October 2013, 5:28 PM
Question: Is Tierno supposed to talk like the language of the region if foreign to him?

"starting moving" doesn't make sense.

Leosnake
13th October 2013, 8:03 PM
No.... It's exactly like every other generation. In fact it might have more direction.

Gen 1: Oak basically says go fight some pokemon and maybe finish the pokedex. No direction.
Gen 2: "Go after that thief. We don't know where he went, but we figure you'll find him eventually". So where do I go?
Gen 3: I literally don't remember what the goal here was, so I guess I can't talk about this one.
Gen 4: Work on Professor Rowan's pokedex. Follow your friend how should lay off the cola.
Gen 5BW: Your Mom thinks you should go adventuring. Leave. And work on my pokedex while you're at it.

All gens lack direction at one point, especially 1, 2, and 4. They pick up eventually just like this game does (after the third gym). And about sending children out to do adult work, that's every pokemon game.

LOL funny and yet spot on. I believe though I could be wrong that the goal of gen 3 was to both surpass your father who is a gym leader and also just complete the Poke dex like in gen 1. I didn't really read anymore into it than that to be honest.

And as for cola I got the impression it was more a red bull overdose at one point. Shauna in this gen strikes me as having a little cola at some points and I'm not even that far into the game.

Other than that I get the impression that however ridiculas they are Team Flare might have something to do with the mega stones existence. However small that something may be.

Oshakpop
13th October 2013, 11:41 PM
By the way, where the hell was Alexa? She only ever appeared for that split second in Santalune, I've not seen her at all since. I just expected her to have a bigger role (I suppose I have the anime to blame for that) I thought she'd of at least turned up every now and again when you battled someone.

Blazios
14th October 2013, 12:03 AM
By the way, where the hell was Alexa? She only ever appeared for that split second in Santalune, I've not seen her at all since. I just expected her to have a bigger role (I suppose I have the anime to blame for that) I thought she'd of at least turned up every now and again when you battled someone.

You can see her again the second time you go to Lumiose.

Oshakpop
14th October 2013, 12:13 AM
You can see her again the second time you go to Lumiose.

Is that at a certain place? Because I swear I've not seen her at all. But Lumiose confuses me so I probably missed where she is haha!

Endolise
14th October 2013, 12:15 AM
So Looker returns and rents a building in Lumiose City. He poses as a Detective (Apparently we aren't supposed to know he's a member of the International Police) and simply, you become his detective partner, you help a homeless girl, she becomes the assistant to looker, but she's also the leader of this gang, but the gang become good, then it turns out Emma gets a job with Dr. Xerosic who puts her in this robotic suit which controls her under a name 'Essentia' and steals Pokémon. In the end, Xerosic gives in (He's actually much nicer than you'd think in the main story), Looker reveals his true identity, reveals he's leaving, Xerosic goes with him to be arrrested, Looker gives you his name 'Looker' (as it's not his real one but we never get his actual name) and Emma becomes the head of the Detective Bureau. This all takes place in Lumiose City.

It's actually a really good post-game story. Also, Malva, the E4 member, reveals she used to be a member of Team Flare. You battle her but she only has her Pyroar.

I loved the addition of this, as it gave more of a story added on. I just wish there was more postgame storylines like this. My thoughts, is that in a potential sequel, Emma returns possibly older. It's nice to see Looker again too! I suspect this also confirms that XY are set after all other games (Not completely sure though)

XY do indeed take place after all of the previous games. BW/B2W2 came after the first four generations, and there is a person in the Pokémon Center on the northern side of Lumiose who mentions what Team Plasma tried to do in BW/B2W2. So, chronologically, XY are the futuremost games in-universe.

Blazios
14th October 2013, 12:16 AM
Is that at a certain place? Because I swear I've not seen her at all. But Lumiose confuses me so I probably missed where she is haha!

More specifically, she's in the Lumiose Press on Estival Avenue.

RoySceptile
14th October 2013, 12:21 AM
So, as someone asked before, are you able to re-battle your rival, post-game?
Because he/she says something along the lines of "We'll battle everyday..." after you beat the 7th Gym, or something.

Oshakpop
14th October 2013, 12:28 AM
So, as someone asked before, are you able to re-battle your rival, post-game?
Because he/she says something along the lines of "We'll battle everyday..." after you beat the 7th Gym, or something.

They are in Kiloude City at the top end of the city, they are there all the time. Although for some reason, they don't appear straight away after you finish the league (I think they make you wait a day, not completely sure)

RoySceptile
14th October 2013, 12:31 AM
They are in Kiloude City at the top end of the city, they are there all the time. Although for some reason, they don't appear straight away after you finish the league (I think they make you wait a day, not completely sure)

So they are re-battleable, right?
I'll have to memorize the English names of locations.

Sephora
14th October 2013, 1:01 AM
Okay I don't know if this was discussed already or not, but it is true that your main rival develops a crush on you? Because so far, I did not see anything :/

RoySceptile
14th October 2013, 1:03 AM
Okay I don't know if this was discussed already or not, but it is true that your main rival develops a crush on you? Because so far, I did not see anything :/

It's Shauna if you're the dude.
But it's the male main character if you play as the female.

Rykel22
14th October 2013, 1:08 AM
I think GF took some inspiration from Doctor Who when doing their character designs and script. Looker's in the game (10th), Sycamore used "Fantastic"( 9's catchphrase) and the gym helper's wearing suspenders and a bow tie( 11's signature look).

amp88
14th October 2013, 3:35 AM
Does Mr. Bonding, the guy who gives you the O-Powers, creep anybody else out?

-You can only find him in hotels
-When you talk to him it blacks out for some reason
-Once blacked out he says "alright lets start bonding"
-He then mysteriously just disappears to meet you at the next hotel

Its just weird

diakyu
14th October 2013, 3:58 AM
Really should have had-

The E4 involved in the story during the main-game. Especially since one of them used to be in Team Flare.

Tyrantrum
14th October 2013, 5:49 AM
I heard that the storyline changes depending on which version you have. Is that true??

Zoruagible
14th October 2013, 6:30 AM
So far Shaune and Serene are my favorite characters. Tierno is cool too, but Trevor is just boring in my opinion.

Atome
14th October 2013, 6:35 AM
So I beat Team Flare out of the Power Plant and there was this HUGE guy standing just north of the city that was previously blocked off. And when I say huge I mean like this man was tall as I've ever seen.

Anyone have any idea what that's about? He just mumbled something and walked off.

diakyu
14th October 2013, 6:48 AM
So I beat Team Flare out of the Power Plant and there was this HUGE guy standing just north of the city that was previously blocked off. And when I say huge I mean like this man was tall as I've ever seen.

Anyone have any idea what that's about? He just mumbled something and walked off.
Keep playing the game. He becomes very important as you move on.

Atome
14th October 2013, 6:49 AM
Keep playing the game. He becomes very important as you move on.

Okay, I was just curious because he was huge and very distracting. Good to know he's important. c:

Pokefan1905
14th October 2013, 7:40 AM
Yeah that surprised me too! And I already beat the game and I still have no idea why he's so tall and massive and he creeps me out with his constant staring x|

vedil
14th October 2013, 6:40 PM
I love that tall guy, honestly. I wonder if he appears anywhere post-game...

The ending was AMAZING. It really got me surprised... and I teared up, haha. :') Such a beautiful game... such a shame it's over. I wish I could replay the story or cutscenes, at least... whoa. Also, is that Floette shiny?

WhiteBlair
14th October 2013, 11:57 PM
Guys, when I finished dealing with Team Flare at Pokeball Factory, I have received an Holo Caster call from a reporter which is exactly IDENTICAL to Malva. Any confirmation on this?

http://p1310.hizliresim.com/1g/h/tlk31.jpg

Warict4
15th October 2013, 12:05 AM
I went to the train station in Luminoise and found a strange message on the back of one of the time tables. It might be post-game, but I never bothered to look before now.

Unaki
15th October 2013, 12:05 AM
The side characters you start your adventure with in this game are loads better than Bianca and Cheren. For one, there are a lot of them and there is actual development between all of them and you. Second, they aren't pushy! Bianca and Cheren were hella annoying in B/W because you turned a corner and they wanted to fight you with some new junk they just captured. Its definitely refreshing to be running around and just seeing all your neighbors doing something related to what they want to do instead of trying to "Test" themselves against you.

shadowF
15th October 2013, 12:57 AM
so I was looking at the Pokéarth section and in victory road your rival has these 5 pokemon( I don't want to say which ones because I don't know if it is a spoiler or not.) and when you battle them postgame they switch one of their pokemon with a different one. do you guys think that is the first time it has ever happened with a rival? I find that very weird. Also I hate how they only have 5 pokemon not six even postgame.

diakyu
15th October 2013, 2:12 AM
Guys, when I finished dealing with Team Flare at Pokeball Factory, I have received an Holo Caster call from a reporter which is exactly IDENTICAL to Malva. Any confirmation on this?

http://p1310.hizliresim.com/1g/h/tlk31.jpg
Yes, there's a reason that looks like Malva. Finish the game and do the Looker missions to find out why. But if you really want to know....

Malva was once a member of Team Flare. And since Lysandre labs made the holocoster....

Vintrial
15th October 2013, 2:30 AM
Any one else smiled when he said "no need to worry" ?

Endolise
15th October 2013, 2:38 AM
I heard that the storyline changes depending on which version you have. Is that true??

Not really, no. The only thing that differs about the story between the games is whether Xerneas or Yveltal is involved.

thetamale
15th October 2013, 3:46 AM
I loved the lyrics during the credits, such a beautiful story this game had.

diakyu
15th October 2013, 4:17 AM
I do like how the NPCs in this game actually give insight on some of the main characters. My favorite has to be the NPC who mentions Sycamore tried to master mega evolution but came to the conclusion he wasn't cut out for it.

ECM
15th October 2013, 5:10 AM
I got to the scene where the main character watches the fireworks with Shauna, and I was wondering something. Do you get the same scene if you play as a girl? Because there was definitely some romantic tension there, and I'm not sure if Pokémon is ready to tackle the topic of homosexuality (not that I mind, it's be cool to finally see a big game do it.)

Endolise
15th October 2013, 5:11 AM
I got to the scene where the main character watches the fireworks with Shauna, and I was wondering something. Do you get the same scene if you play as a girl? Because there was definitely some romantic tension there, and I'm not sure if Pokémon is ready to tackle the topic of homosexuality (not that I mind, it's be cool to finally see a big game do it.)

No, Shauna tells Player!Serena that she's happy to be great friends.

ECM
15th October 2013, 5:12 AM
No, Shauna tells Player!Serena that she's happy to be great friends.

Okay, I figured it'd be something like that. I just wanted to be sure.

Psynergy
15th October 2013, 5:17 AM
I do like how the NPCs in this game actually give insight on some of the main characters. My favorite has to be the NPC who mentions Sycamore tried to master mega evolution but came to the conclusion he wasn't cut out for it.

The one who talked about Blue visiting Lumiose was entertaining. Him getting "bonjour" right (like on the SS Anne) but saying "Smell ya later" is just like him. Looks like some people just don't change.

Bramblefire
15th October 2013, 5:18 AM
I loved the lyrics during the credits, such a beautiful story this game had.

I loved that too, very beautiful. Also, this may sound weird, but sing the words, they seem to actually match the music. (Don't know if it was supposed to be obvious, but it took me by surprise. :P )

Astus
15th October 2013, 6:00 AM
Isn't your rival character supposed to have another of the Kanto starters?

thetamale
15th October 2013, 3:32 PM
I loved that too, very beautiful. Also, this may sound weird, but sing the words, they seem to actually match the music. (Don't know if it was supposed to be obvious, but it took me by surprise. :P )

Yeah I noticed it when the chorus came along, shame there wasn't any actual singing. Maybe they'll release it one day.

DSDark
15th October 2013, 3:59 PM
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this game. Outside of the lack of new pokemon, it's really good. Good story so far, team flare actually makes sense for the region and the theme of the game.

Xweek
15th October 2013, 4:04 PM
Yes, there's a reason that looks like Malva. Finish the game and do the Looker missions to find out why. But if you really want to know....

Malva was once a member of Team Flare. And since Lysandre labs made the holocoster....

Adding to this;

She even outright says that she's a Holo-Caster star when you beat her at the Pokemon League for the first time.

thetamale
15th October 2013, 4:11 PM
How do you get the Looker thing? I've beat the league and gone to Lumiose but nothing.

Sir_Adamus
15th October 2013, 4:12 PM
I love that tall guy, honestly. I wonder if he appears anywhere post-game...

The ending was AMAZING. It really got me surprised... and I teared up, haha. :') Such a beautiful game... such a shame it's over. I wish I could replay the story or cutscenes, at least... whoa. Also, is that Floette shiny?

I don't know if it's shiny, I just figured it was unique because it was resurrected/from 3000 years ago. It's flower is definitely different to other Floette's, maybe because it attached to a flower that no longer exists in the present? I'm kind of hoping they make it available for capture or as an event because it's too unique to render in the game engine just for that one scene at the end.

How do you get the Looker thing? I've beat the league and gone to Lumiose but nothing.

Sycamore should give you a train pass to Kiloude City - from there, challenge the Battle Maison to at least one battle (earning at least 1BP), at which point your rival should appear to the North of the city. Battle them, win, etc. and then return to Lumiose, where the Looker missions will begin.

Pokemonspecialgerman
15th October 2013, 5:21 PM
The "tall guy" is a really interesting and mysterious character. And I wonder who he really was in the past. And I realized something. So time for more theories and rumors! XD :

AZ was a "King" after all, and something about him bothered me. His story could have so much potential! And if you visit the parfum castle once again you will find a picture that "reminds the player of AZ"! So they hint that AZ was the owner of the parfum palace 3000 years ago! And what else is in the parfum palace? A biiig garden with 2 statues of reshiram and zekrom!
So maybe AZ had contact Unova and their legends somehow. Maybe he had contact with another King in Unova. The one from the underwater ruins, perhaps?

Another interesting fact is: The parfum palace is right next to geosenge town on the map. He just had to find a secret passage to pass this mountain. I think it would've been dangerous to take the route south from the palace over cyllage city to reach geosenge because of the war between north and south kalos. I think it was war between south and north because both armies clashed on route 10 after all.

I know who cares, and nothing of that will be official clarified in the future. But I just love to speculate. And I want to find every hint game freak gave us with XY!

Endolise
15th October 2013, 6:07 PM
Yesterday I realized the Gen VI lacks one of the things that made Gen V so great in terms of story, and that is the role of the Gym Leaders. They went from being fleshed-out characters with personalities back to being static, elemental cut-outs. Well, aside from Korrina and maybe Clemont, anyway (and possibly Wulfric as well but I haven't gotten to him yet). In Gen V, the Gym Leaders even offerred you advice - something that made them seem more like real experts. However, that, along with the Gym Leaders other than Viola, Grant, Korrina, and Clemont having "dayjobs," is unfortunately absent in Gen VI.

Another thing that kind of bothers me is that, once again...
NOBODY helps you out against Team Flare other than two of your friends and the "Masked Heroes." One would think that Diantha would maybe step in right about the time when Lysandre was trying to commit genocide on a global scale, but nope. All she does is thank you later on for doing what she should have done. At least Lance, Cynthia, and Alder did something about the villanous teams in their regions; hell, Iris lifted more of a finger against Team Plasma than Diantha did against Team Flare.

Ver-mont
15th October 2013, 6:42 PM
Cynthia wasn't really useful either, to be honest.

I'll never forget how, in Platinum, she just stands there and refuses to lift a finger to help you against Cyrus.
That's even worse than being absent, in my humble opinion.

HohoKing
15th October 2013, 6:53 PM
Is it just me that I feel the storyline of Gen 6 seem rather dramatic as compare to previous gens...
Or maybe it because of that dramatic cutscene... Hmm

Endolise
15th October 2013, 6:55 PM

I'll never forget how, in Platinum, she just stands there and refuses to lift a finger to help you against Cyrus.

I always saw that as being more "Lucas/Dawn stepping in and challenging Cyrus themselves" than "Cynthia making them do it in her place."

The exchange goes:

Cynthia: "...So you were already here. Why do you seek to change the world? If you hate our world you should just go off somewhere alone. Find somewhere where you can live without seeing others."
Cyrus: "Why should I run and hide from the world and have to wait quietly? My aim is to rid our world of the vague and incomplete thing we call spirit. By freeing ourselves of that, our world can be made complete. That is my justice! No one can interfere!"
Cynthia (if talked to): "But... That's no justice at all!"

At which point Lucas/Dawn prove Cyrus wrong by taking upon themselves to interfere. Cynthia was continuing her argument, and Lucas/Dawn interrupted it.

Granted, she could have battled him alongside you but that would have meant a 2-on-1 battle supporting the protagonist and we know we can't have that

LizardonX
15th October 2013, 7:32 PM

To be fair she was probably gonna step in if the PC lost.

davidcoji
15th October 2013, 10:49 PM
Is there anything after looker story wise?

A_Merry_Snowrunt
16th October 2013, 12:57 AM
Speaking of AZ, in Parfum Palace there's a painting of a man in regal outfit. Could that man in the painting be him or someone else? Anyways, I bet AZ had some connection with the Kings of Unova and perhaps waged war with them overtime. I can imagine a battalion of pawinard in columns and rows with Bisharps leading them to challenge the Unova King.

Asellia
16th October 2013, 4:38 AM
Okay, er; I'm not sure if this is the right thread, exactly. I hope so!

You see; in Lumiose City, I went into a uh.. building, I forget which; it had three floors. I went to the second, and my screen flashed black like a cutscene. A woman in a black/purpleish dress, and black hair hovers in (literally, one foot midair), and says "No.. you're not the one.". Heads south, and offscreen. I follow, whole floor is empty! Further on, I find the same woman (Seemingly) standing in the fancy hotel there, saying to be quiet, as she wont be able to hear the elevator. (She seemed almost startled). How do I continue this mini story, if possible?

OracleOfDelphox
16th October 2013, 5:35 AM

You see; in Lumiose City, I went into a uh.. building, I forget which; it had three floors. I went to the second, and my screen flashed black like a cutscene. A woman in a black/purpleish dress, and black hair hovers in (literally, one foot midair), and says "No.. you're not the one.". Heads south, and offscreen. I follow, whole floor is empty! Further on, I find the same woman (Seemingly) standing in the fancy hotel there, saying to be quiet, as she wont be able to hear the elevator. (She seemed almost startled). How do I continue this mini story, if possible?

Those are Hex Maniacs or as I call them, G-rated Tharjas or Misdreavus Gijinkas. You'll encounter them starting Route 15. I thought she had psychic abilities and just played a prank. She is good Pokepasta inspiration though.

Asellia
16th October 2013, 6:19 AM
Those are Hex Maniacs or as I call them, G-rated Tharjas or Misdreavus Gijinkas. You'll encounter them starting Route 15. I thought she had psychic abilities and just played a prank. She is good Pokepasta inspiration though.

Thanks xD I didn't know it was. In previous games, the hex maniacs had the hats (Or well, the ones I played haha)

GildedScizor
16th October 2013, 6:35 AM
You know, I just had a thought of a possible role for Zygarde in a potential 3rd installment. It's classified the Order pokemon and "monitors those who destroy the ecosystem" right? What if Zygarde sensed Team Flare's impending attempt at global genocide and its way of keeping order was to manipulate events of the universe so that you (the protagonist) were able to thwart Team Flare? Or better yet it manipulated the universe to create your entire existence? A year on in the 3rd installment and Lysandre learns of Zygarde's involvement and goes after it for any potential number of reasons.

MetalFlygon08
16th October 2013, 7:44 AM
I'd like to imagine the Ultimate Weapon is what caused the Abyssal Ruins and the Desert Resort castles to become the ruins they became, so Kalos maybe waged War against Unova, since both countries had kingdoms and such to war against for territory (assuming the 2 are connected via a landmass).

Endolise
16th October 2013, 8:34 AM
Hooray for awesome Sugimori artworks of Lysandre and AZ:

Lysandre:
http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/art/Lysandre-X-and-Y.jpg

AZ:
http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/art/AZ-X-and-Y.jpg
These both look absolutely terrific.

Sir_Adamus
16th October 2013, 9:35 AM

It's not the same woman in the hotel - I went to the hotel before having that encounter.

bigbro223
16th October 2013, 1:26 PM
You know, I just had a thought of a possible role for Zygarde in a potential 3rd installment. It's classified the Order pokemon and "monitors those who destroy the ecosystem" right? What if Zygarde sensed Team Flare's impending attempt at global genocide and its way of keeping order was to manipulate events of the universe so that you (the protagonist) were able to thwart Team Flare? Or better yet it manipulated the universe to create your entire existence? A year on in the 3rd installment and Lysandre learns of Zygarde's involvement and goes after it for any potential number of reasons.
Hmm... Maybe it partially damaged the ultimate weapon, considering it's a Ground-type and the weapon was underground as well.

I was thinking more of Xerosic using it for his own ends, as we barely get to see him in the main story.

ShadowKreach
16th October 2013, 3:09 PM
Yesterday I realized the Gen VI lacks one of the things that made Gen V so great in terms of story, and that is the role of the Gym Leaders. They went from being fleshed-out characters with personalities back to being static, elemental cut-outs. Well, aside from Korrina and maybe Clemont, anyway (and possibly Wulfric as well but I haven't gotten to him yet). In Gen V, the Gym Leaders even offerred you advice - something that made them seem more like real experts. However, that, along with the Gym Leaders other than Viola, Grant, Korrina, and Clemont having "dayjobs," is unfortunately absent in Gen VI.

Another thing that kind of bothers me is that, once again...
NOBODY helps you out against Team Flare other than two of your friends and the "Masked Heroes." One would think that Diantha would maybe step in right about the time when Lysandre was trying to commit genocide on a global scale, but nope. All she does is thank you later on for doing what she should have done. At least Lance, Cynthia, and Alder did something about the villanous teams in their regions; hell, Iris lifted more of a finger against Team Plasma than Diantha did against Team Flare.

I have to agree with you on the Gym Leaders. The only ones that really stand out as characters are Korrina and Wulfric. Sure, you see some of the others outside their Gyms once, but they don't really do anything (Grant gives you the Strength HM, Clemont just turns on some lights). It didn't help that most of the Gym Leaders were pathetically easy this time around, so they never really got more than 5 minutes of screen time. What I found stranger than that was that the Elite 4 feel like more fleshed out characters than the Gym Leaders, which is incredibly odd, considering it's normally the opposite.

Goten21
16th October 2013, 3:14 PM
They are quite annoying, but what I really find annoying is the nickname they give you. They use it all the time. I chose mine without putting much thought into it and now I hate it. Is there any way to change it?
Ouch, not really, haha
Why did you think it would be irrelevant though?

Goten21
16th October 2013, 3:16 PM
I have to agree with you on the Gym Leaders. The only ones that really stand out as characters are Korrina and Wulfric. Sure, you see some of the others outside their Gyms once, but they don't really do anything (Grant gives you the Strength HM, Clemont just turns on some lights). It didn't help that most of the Gym Leaders were pathetically easy this time around, so they never really got more than 5 minutes of screen time. What I found stranger than that was that the Elite 4 feel like more fleshed out characters than the Gym Leaders, which is incredibly odd, considering it's normally the opposite.
Well, the most rememberable one was definitely the Ice type gym leader, I found the gym leaders a bit too hyped up though, I once, for example, read a back-ground story about the bug-type gym leader (the one with the camera), but at the end, she had like no personality at all... (in game, I mean)

ShadowKreach
16th October 2013, 3:19 PM
Well, the most rememberable one was definitely the Ice type gym leader, I found the gym leaders a bit too hyped up though, I once, for example, read a back-ground story about the bug-type gym leader (the one with the camera), but at the end, she had like no personality at all... (in game, I mean)

Yeah, Wulfric is probably the best Gym Leader of this generation, but that's not really saying much compared to the others.

Wulava
16th October 2013, 3:21 PM
Hooray for awesome Sugimori artworks of Lysandre and AZ:

Lysandre:
http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/art/Lysandre-X-and-Y.jpg

AZ:
http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/art/AZ-X-and-Y.jpg
These both look absolutely terrific.

Wow. Impressive designs. Seeing the actual artwork for these characters makes me like them even more.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay
16th October 2013, 3:53 PM
Soooo I beat the game yesterday... what. a. game! The ending was so unusual but spectacular in its own way. About time they gave us a damn parade for saving the world lol.

I love Lysandre, and not just because he looks like a mix between Axel from KH and Shi Long Lang from A.A. Investigations. He's a good villain, despite the fact that the whole concept behind Team Flare was a bit all over the place. The thing with him is that, well... I really honestly couldn't find a single flaw in his logic.

You know that moment when the bad guy makes his monologue about his idea of a solution for a better world? Usually when you play through those moments you can tell right away what was terribly wrong with their reasoning, and you could imagine yourself giving them a piece of your mind if you were actually there.

Yeah, except that with him... I really couldn't. Except for the whole "kill everyone" plan being the best solution, everything he said was absolutely true. In an actual argument, I really wouldn't have known how to contradict him, if not by insisting that the solution he presented was way too extreme.

diakyu
16th October 2013, 4:30 PM
I like AZ's art. Lysandre's is very serious.

MattzOr
16th October 2013, 4:54 PM
I really loved the game, but it has some letdowns for me:

The entire game feels like graphics were the number one selling point. The story was pretty short and almost fully predictable. I pretty much knew exactly what would happen happen right when I met team flare. The post-game also has very little to do. There's 3 (correct me if I'm wrong) catchable legendaries post-game, a town with what appears to be a small battle mansion and that's pretty much it.

The main-game was also horribly easy. Without any grinding at all; I swept all of the gyms, elite four and champion like they were route trainers. The champion has Poke's in their 60's and I'm rocking 80's as a minimum. There was absolutely no challenge for me, and I wasn't using a great team. The amount of pokemon introduced in this generation was also low, however many had different forms and mega evolutions.

I'm worried GameFreak purposely left certain features out of this game, to add later in the form of DLC etc, for greedy profits. Features such as more mega's, legendaries and locations. The game is absolutely brilliant. It feels like it's definitely one of my favorites so far.

The game feels like it was made by a lazy high school student who has a huge potential, but only wants to get the pass mark.

GildedScizor
16th October 2013, 5:01 PM
Loved how much story Looker's missions are adding!
They've officially made Malva my favourite ever Elite Four Member, with how much backstory and attitude she has.

diakyu
16th October 2013, 5:29 PM

The entire game feels like graphics were the number one selling point. The story was pretty short and almost fully predictable. I pretty much knew exactly what would happen happen right when I met team flare. The post-game also has very little to do. There's 3 (correct me if I'm wrong) catchable legendaries post-game, a town with what appears to be a small battle mansion and that's pretty much it.

The main-game was also horribly easy. Without any grinding at all; I swept all of the gyms, elite four and champion like they were route trainers. The champion has Poke's in their 60's and I'm rocking 80's as a minimum. There was absolutely no challenge for me, and I wasn't using a great team. The amount of pokemon introduced in this generation was also low, however many had different forms and mega evolutions.

I'm worried GameFreak purposely left certain features out of this game, to add later in the form of DLC etc, for greedy profits. Features such as more mega's, legendaries and locations. The game is absolutely brilliant. It feels like it's definitely one of my favorites so far.

The game feels like it was made by a lazy high school student who has a huge potential, but only wants to get the pass mark.
Uhhh, when you meet team flare they say nothing about their goal. How did you predict what they would do? Heck, did you get a good read on AZ too when you met him with his two lines of dialogue?

Psynergy
16th October 2013, 5:40 PM
Uhhh, when you meet team flare they say nothing about their goal. How did you predict what they would do? Heck, did you get a good read on AZ too when you met him with his two lines of dialogue?

I have the same thoughts, and furthermore, having a team in the high 80's is a problem of too much EXP Share abuse (that thing is too broken, anyway), not the game being too easy. I made sure to use it sparingly, and only use it when I saw the important trainers getting closer to my levels. I got to the end of the game at about the level of the Elite 4, and things felt like they did in any other game.

ShadowKreach
16th October 2013, 6:12 PM
Loved how much story Looker's missions are adding!
They've officially made Malva my favourite ever Elite Four Member, with how much backstory and attitude she has.

I actually feel like the storytelling in the Looker sidequest is better than the main storyline itself. I found it very engaging, and parts of it were really moving and quite dark and serious for a Pokemon game. I just wish it was longer.

Blazios
16th October 2013, 6:19 PM
I actually feel like the storytelling in the Looker sidequest is better than the main storyline itself. I found it very engaging, and parts of it were really moving and quite dark and serious for a Pokemon game. I just wish it was longer.

That poor Croagunk...

ShadowKreach
16th October 2013, 6:28 PM
That poor Croagunk...

I actually sat there for about a minute trying to comprehend what I'd just read. It genuinely shocked me.

Psynergy
16th October 2013, 6:39 PM
I actually sat there for about a minute trying to comprehend what I'd just read. It genuinely shocked me.

Same here. I sat there thinking "wait, did that just happen? In a Pokemon game?"

Trainer Yusuf
16th October 2013, 6:52 PM
Apparently

"The german translation spells out almost everything.

It flat out says the pokemon died, it also explains that the weapon was intended to revive Floette with the unintended side effect of making both it and AZ immortal. But he was still so mad that he turned it into a weapon and nuked the world.
Anonymous Wed Oct 16 2013 19:08:22 No.14684016 Report
>>14683806
Yeah, the german translation for "he was given a tiny box" is something like "He was given what was left of his Pokemon". I thought it was pretty brutal." (http://archive.foolz.us/vp/thread/14670225/)

We NGE and PMMM now. Explains the current fairies' designs, especially Shiny Mega Gardevoir. (http://archive.foolz.us/vp/thread/14673949/#14674303)

marsWanderer29
16th October 2013, 10:02 PM
1. I can't find Serena post-game, supposedly she is in Kiloude city, but she's not anywhere.
2. Where do I find Looker?

Sir_Adamus
16th October 2013, 10:05 PM
1. I can't find Serena post-game, supposedly she is in Kiloude city, but she's not anywhere.
2. Where do I find Looker?

Go into the Battle Maison in Kiloude City and earn at least one BP - after that, Serena should appear in the north of the city. Fight her and she'll send you to meet Sycamore.
After your meeting with Sycamore, returning to Lumiose City should trigger the Looker missions.

LLtacx
16th October 2013, 11:01 PM
I don't know if this had been discussed yet but, at the point where you pick your Kanto starter, Scyamore asks Shauna and your rival to pick one too. But they don't seem to use them in battle... Is there a reason for this?

bigbro223
16th October 2013, 11:06 PM
I don't know if this had been discussed yet but, at the point where you pick your Kanto starter, Scyamore asks Shauna and your rival to pick one too. But they don't seem to use them in battle... Is there a reason for this?
I think they declined the other, but I didn't really pay attention at that point.

Coller23
16th October 2013, 11:13 PM
I have the same thoughts, and furthermore, having a team in the high 80's is a problem of too much EXP Share abuse (that thing is too broken, anyway), not the game being too easy. I made sure to use it sparingly, and only use it when I saw the important trainers getting closer to my levels. I got to the end of the game at about the level of the Elite 4, and things felt like they did in any other game.

I agree I turned off the exp share and my Pokemon ended up around level 62 for the Elite 4 giving my a bit of a challenge. Nobody has the right to say the game is easy if there leveling there Pokemon 20 levels above the champion.

Endolise
16th October 2013, 11:35 PM
...Oh man. I feel really slow to the punch for just now realizing this, but...

The king built a machine that could grant life, and then modified it into a weapon of destruction.
Sneaky, Game Freak. Sneaky.

bigbro223
17th October 2013, 1:06 AM
...Oh man. I feel really slow to the punch for just now realizing this, but...

The king built a machine that could grant life, and then modified it into a weapon of destruction.
Sneaky, Game Freak. Sneaky.
Very good point. I never noticed that before! I wonder if Zygarde fits into this somehow...

Psynergy
17th October 2013, 1:12 AM
Very good point. I never noticed that before! I wonder if Zygarde fits into this somehow...

Definitely makes more sense how Xerneas could be used for this weapon. Though I do wonder what they could do to make Zygarde fit into this. Somehow, I get a Giratina vibe from Zygarde, that it would intervene much in the way Giratina interrupted Cyrus's plans because of the large disturbance he caused. I think it would make sense, considering Zygarde is the Order Pokemon.

bigbro223
17th October 2013, 1:15 AM
Definitely makes more sense how Xerneas could be used for this weapon. Though I do wonder what they could do to make Zygarde fit into this. Somehow, I get a Giratina vibe from Zygarde, that it would intervene much in the way Giratina interrupted Cyrus's plans because of the large disturbance he caused. I think it would make sense, considering Zygarde is the Order Pokemon.
Zygarde's Pokedex entry says it is monitoring those who disturb the ecosystem... It definitely seems like it could have a role in stopping the device (Maybe it actually did help, seeing how the device was underground as well).

marsWanderer29
17th October 2013, 1:20 AM
My girlfriend is having trouble getting into Lumiose's boutique, even though she battled trainers and talked to Alexa.

shadowF
17th October 2013, 1:31 AM
Can we have rematches with AZ post game?

Sir_Adamus
17th October 2013, 1:37 AM
Can we have rematches with AZ post game?

I too would like to fight against his immortal Floette - but so far it doesn't look like it.

Goten21
17th October 2013, 2:57 AM
Does anyone else ever wish your rivals have a big part post-game?
You know what I just thought of~ what if your rivals could travel with you, like Shauna does at the beginning of the game. It would be awesome to keep experiencing double battles. They should most definitely add that in the next game, but they should make it only optional though

FableEnd
17th October 2013, 3:38 AM
Okay so I was doing the Looker Ticket mission, and went inside a building thinking it was the hotel I have to go in. I was wrong, but didn't go in there ever so I thought I would check it out. On the second floor of this building (empty room) a ghost/hex lady comes out of no where and does her creepy thing. I just want to know if anyone has run into this, and if they have, have they run into her anywhere else or know if it's just a little something Pokemon tends to have now?

Astus
17th October 2013, 5:54 AM
I don't know if this had been discussed yet but, at the point where you pick your Kanto starter, Scyamore asks Shauna and your rival to pick one too. But they don't seem to use them in battle... Is there a reason for this?This is something that bothered me too. It's like Gamefreak just forgot about it.

jonotengo
17th October 2013, 6:06 AM
Okay so I was doing the Looker Ticket mission, and went inside a building thinking it was the hotel I have to go in. I was wrong, but didn't go in there ever so I thought I would check it out. On the second floor of this building (empty room) a ghost/hex lady comes out of no where and does her creepy thing. I just want to know if anyone has run into this, and if they have, have they run into her anywhere else or know if it's just a little something Pokemon tends to have now?

not gonna lie. that creeped me out the other day. i went up to whatever floor that was, some creepy music came up, she appeared out of no where and disappeared off screen. i tried to follow where she went but nada. i'd like to know how she fits in to any of this

Tyrantrum
17th October 2013, 6:37 AM
not gonna lie. that creeped me out the other day. i went up to whatever floor that was, some creepy music came up, she appeared out of no where and disappeared off screen. i tried to follow where she went but nada. i'd like to know how she fits in to any of this

That sounds kind of like the old Chateau in Generation 4 to be perfectly honest. I wonder if that is something that will be picked up later...

MyvTeddy
17th October 2013, 6:38 AM

-Blastoise just... use your cannon god dammnit.
-The story was alright, i can somewhat dig shauna's developing feelings. Just stop friend-zoning me Serena! For a lot of "we should do this together as friends!", I did a lot of things solo. The main cast was a bunch of cheesy characters and... what, we're going to like their niche? no real character developing :
-I wouldn't mind a clothing DLC.
-I do feel some things are left out... maybe to add into pokemon z? who knows. I still love the game nonetheless!
-The 8 way movement, arghh...

Kataphrut
17th October 2013, 1:28 PM
I have to say I'm not that keen on the group of friends you have this time around. They're lovely people, but they're all terrible at battles and the friendship makes me feel bad for so easily flogging them. I miss Gary Oak; he was challenging to fight, but he was also a jerk, which made beating him all the more satisfying. Every time I beat Serena, I feel like I'm the instigator in some sinister abusive relationship.

Goten21
17th October 2013, 2:08 PM
I have to say I'm not that keen on the group of friends you have this time around. They're lovely people, but they're all terrible at battles and the friendship makes me feel bad for so easily flogging them. I miss Gary Oak; he was challenging to fight, but he was also a jerk, which made beating him all the more satisfying. Every time I beat Serena, I feel like I'm the instigator in some sinister abusive relationship.
Omg, my thoughts exactly tbh, I felt really bad for Serena... I mean, think about it (from her perspective)
You're the best trainer in your village, and all of the sudden some new kid comes along and ALSO gets a starter. Okay, nothing going on.
Then, he beats you at all battles, okay, I have to get better
THEN he stops you from having a mega evolution training...
I'd be so ***** jealous if I were Serena xD

Goten21
17th October 2013, 2:09 PM
-Blastoise just... use your cannon god dammnit.
-The story was alright, i can somewhat dig shauna's developing feelings. Just stop friend-zoning me Serena! For a lot of "we should do this together as friends!", I did a lot of things solo. The main cast was a bunch of cheesy characters and... what, we're going to like their niche? no real character developing :
-I wouldn't mind a clothing DLC.
-I do feel some things are left out... maybe to add into pokemon z? who knows. I still love the game nonetheless!
-The 8 way movement, arghh...

I felt the same about Serena, stop friend-zoning me xDDD
Wait... You don't like the diagnal movements? o.O

EmphaticPikachu
17th October 2013, 3:45 PM
One thing I seriously missed in this story that immersed me much more was the in battle cut ins. Like how N would say "Show me the voice of your pokemon!" after the first turn, then show his resolve at the end of the match. Those cut'ins really worked well to show the emotion during battle, not to mention how people like Cheren felt.

Also, my opinion of the friends changed as the story went on. At first I though Calem was bland, but after a while, I really saw the desperation in his eyes as I kept surpassing him in pretty much everyway. It's almost heart breaking, and makes me feel horrible. D:...

Shauna was probably the most fleshed out though. Not gonna lie.

I liked The teams goal, and it reminded me of tales of Vesperia...A lot like tales of vesperia atcually, at least in how the conflict went down. Team plasma is still way past them in terms of favorites though, N just connected with me too much.

Endolise
17th October 2013, 4:21 PM
One thing I seriously missed in this story that immersed me much more was the in battle cut ins. Like how N would say "Show me the voice of your pokemon!" after the first turn, then show his resolve at the end of the match. Those cut'ins really worked well to show the emotion during battle, not to mention how people like Cheren felt.

Oh, you're right; those didn't carry over into XY. That's a bit of shame. Although I suppose that they would be a bit difficult to implement without either disrupting the flow of the battle or murderating the framerate.

Ladlebug
17th October 2013, 4:23 PM
Just finished the Looker Side-quest thing.

Got to say, that it was a lot more enjoyable than the main story-line itself. Maybe it's because I always liked Looker's plot in the past games, or I finally got to be a poke-detective, but I wished there was more of it in this game.

Also I found it funny how Looker was talking about becoming Emma's guardian/father, and then leaves at the end thus following in the trend of fatherless children in pokemon.

EmphaticPikachu
17th October 2013, 4:28 PM
Oh, you're right; those didn't carry over into XY. That's a bit of shame. Although I suppose that they would be a bit difficult to implement without either disrupting the flow of the battle or murderating the framerate.

Yeah I'm not sure how it would be implemented either.

They could of possibly used those anime cut ins they gave every trainer. When something important happens in the battle, that cut in of them appears (The offical art may not work, needs something with more action.) as a text box appears showing how they feel.

Would be akward, but I feel like they could have done it right.

ShadowKreach
17th October 2013, 4:31 PM
I feel like the main problem I have with this game is the simple fact that most characters don't really do anything and aren't very interesting. The most interesting characters don't even get introduced/developed until the post game, which is very disappointing. The Gym Leaders are very bland compared to the last 2 Generations, your friends might as well not exist with how little bearing they have on the game, and the all the Team Flare scientists (Bar Xerosic) are pretty damn generic. With the large character roster this time around and some cool looking character designs, it was a big missed opportunity.
Here's hoping Z fixes everything.

Endolise
17th October 2013, 4:46 PM
your friends might as well not exist with how little bearing they have on the game

Do the in-game friends often have that big of a role, though? Besides Blue, Cheren, Bianca, and maaaybe Silver, it seems as though they others may as well not exist either.

ShadowKreach
17th October 2013, 5:53 PM
Do the in-game friends often have that big of a role, though? Besides Blue, Cheren, Bianca, and maaaybe Silver, it seems as though they others may as well not exist either.

It's just the fact that you have 4 friends this time around, and when 3 of them barely do anything, it's a bit more noticeable.

Goten21
17th October 2013, 6:36 PM
It's just the fact that you have 4 friends this time around, and when 3 of them barely do anything, it's a bit more noticeable.

My thoughts exactly!!!
Pokemon has a really big potential for this kind of stuff
For example (my idea's):
When you finish the game, you can ask any of your friends to come with you (like Shauna did at the beginning of the game), that way, you can have double battles WHOLE the time
Or, you can ask the whole gang to come with you, no need to let all of them battle, they can just come with you, you know, for the fun of it
Or hence, even better, throughout the game you have the option to let one of them come with you, it would be an amazing experience

ven?
17th October 2013, 7:06 PM
Taken from the mouth of a TCG player.

It feels like they wanted to challenge you for that 1-4 hour interval between badges 1-2, and then for the rest of the game it flowed down the river like water over a ducks back, in otherwords, there was story, there was quite a bit of it (between you're friends/rival, team flare, and etc), however it's just seemed to fast paced and to me the whole game seemed to be a game ploy/vamp up for the VGC crowd more so then a game for the gamers market that doesn't care about competing in the VGC (just how they have the IV judge, a lot of battle places for the players to gain experience, and it's uber easy to grind with exp.share, the list goes on).

MyvTeddy
17th October 2013, 8:07 PM
I felt the same about Serena, stop friend-zoning me xDDD
Wait... You don't like the diagnal movements? o.O

I do, its just it still moves in blocks. Basically I want to be able to move in a 360 motion fluidly versus a 8 way block movement. Does that make any sense?

Goten21
17th October 2013, 8:29 PM
I do, its just it still moves in blocks. Basically I want to be able to move in a 360 motion fluidly versus a 8 way block movement. Does that make any sense?

It does, and I want to note, they made it that way that you can only walk with the arrows anyway, so what does it really matter? I mean, the roller scates are perfectely fluid anyway, so is the bike.

shadowF
18th October 2013, 1:12 AM
after we beat serena and she gives us absolute, does she still have an extra one to megaevolve her absol in our rematches?

Goten21
18th October 2013, 1:46 AM
after we beat serena and she gives us absolute, does she still have an extra one to megaevolve her absol in our rematches?

She clearly said that in the chat afterwards- yes she does, she had a spare and she wanted to share one with the player

AnyRandomName
18th October 2013, 2:03 AM
Your friends are horrible. 2 of them are practically useless except for fill-ins (Shauna and Tierno) one barely ever appears (Trevor) and (Serena) isn't strong enough. I remember losing to Silver 6 times before winning. The storyline was long but felt short. And then you see people on gts have lvl 80 pokemon for trade within the first 3 hrs. of the release. This was very disappointing (except that the highest a wild pokemon could get was lvl 25).

725roy
18th October 2013, 2:33 AM
Your friends are horrible. 2 of them are practically useless except for fill-ins (Shauna and Tierno) one barely ever appears (Trevor) and (Serena) isn't strong enough. I remember losing to Silver 6 times before winning. The storyline was long but felt short. And then you see people on gts have lvl 80 pokemon for trade within the first 3 hrs. of the release. This was very disappointing (except that the highest a wild pokemon could get was lvl 25).

Your problem here is that you used the E.X.P. All. Do another run in the future without it, and I GUARANTEE things will be harder with them.

Dragonair7
18th October 2013, 4:48 AM
Taken from the mouth of a TCG player.

It feels like they wanted to challenge you for that 1-4 hour interval between badges 1-2, and then for the rest of the game it flowed down the river like water over a ducks back, in otherwords, there was story, there was quite a bit of it (between you're friends/rival, team flare, and etc), however it's just seemed to fast paced and to me the whole game seemed to be a game ploy/vamp up for the VGC crowd more so then a game for the gamers market that doesn't care about competing in the VGC (just how they have the IV judge, a lot of battle places for the players to gain experience, and it's uber easy to grind with exp.share, the list goes on).

Black and White were very good in terms of plot and pacing. it took me a while to play through the main game, not just 12 hrs of nonstop play. One of the reasons i loved bw was because the plot was better developed and the rivals/gym leaders had a use in the story. Also, team plasma had a definite purpose and internal conflict with N. The more adult-like Cheren was a nice change from childish, just-want-to-win rivals from previous gens.
In b2w2, team plasma took a serious hit. I liked how the plot with N was further elaborated, but i felt like Colress didn't fulfill the role he was supposed to. He could have been awesome, except he wasn't, because he appears all of twice during the story line.
I was hoping for a longer game, with a lot of the features that made previous games enjoyable. Instead, because of the EXP Share, you can sweep through every gym leader and the elite four. 4 rivals is pushing it, because none of them can be developed fully. And, why the need for a psuedo-love story?

MyvTeddy
18th October 2013, 5:05 AM
It does, and I want to note, they made it that way that you can only walk with the arrows anyway, so what does it really matter? I mean, the roller scates are perfectely fluid anyway, so is the bike.

The rollerskates and bike I love because they're basically what I want. But sometimes I run with the dowsing machine on (There is ALOT of items I would have missed without it). Running isn't too bad but I still wish for it to be smooth as well. My personal gripe really.

Endolise
18th October 2013, 5:12 AM
He could have been awesome, except he wasn't, because he appears all of twice during the story line.

Colress appeared like, six times counting the post-game. And only one of those instances was even in the post-game.

Firebrand
18th October 2013, 7:41 PM
This is about a character, so I guess it goes here...?

Anyway, anyone else weirded out by the O-Powers guy? Most times, you find him alone in a hotel room, he says "Let's bond!" and the screen goes dark. When the lights come up... he's gone. The first time I just brushed it off, but as I found him more times, the subtext became more and more evident.

Endolise
18th October 2013, 7:49 PM

Anyway, anyone else weirded out by the O-Powers guy? Most times, you find him alone in a hotel room, he says "Let's bond!" and the screen goes dark. When the lights come up... he's gone. The first time I just brushed it off, but as I found him more times, the subtext became more and more evident.

You're not the only one. My girlfriend and I joked endlessly about Mr. Bonding all throughout release day.

It's bonding time!

Goten21
18th October 2013, 8:01 PM

Oh my god... Oh my god... OH MY GOD!!!
Let's look at the first "meetings" you have with the O-Powers guy (the name alone...):
1. You meet him outside, somewhere
2. You meet him in the pokécenter
3. You meet him in his bedroom in the hotel he's staying at

3rd date...
Get where I'm going..............
DAMN, dem Japanese people are perverts xd

LeasCelyn
18th October 2013, 9:24 PM
I just played through the post game stuff with Looker in Lumoise all in one go last night. I won't say much about the plot for people who haven't done it yet, but think that's the most feels per square hour of Pokemon I've ever played through. For a plot based on a silly character it was brutal as all get out, even considering how dark the main game is. But it was also a lot of fun, and probably made X & Y one of my favorite postgames since FireRed and LeafGreen. I only wish there were more of these mini adventures you could do in different places, it would be like a whole other story after the real story.

ViniciusXP
19th October 2013, 2:45 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I've found a reference to Blue in the game, there's a woman in Lumiose City's PokeCenter and says: " The famous Professor Oak's grandson came here to Kalos to study abroad. He got "Bonjour" down just fine, but he still always said "Smell ya later!" when he left!", also in the same place, there's a guy that reference Team Plasma saying: " Have you heard of Team Plasma? Apparently it was making news a while back in the Unova region...", that means that X/Y happens after B/W, but before B2/W2?
Sorry if someone has talked about that earlier or if I get out of topic.

Natsume of Shion Town
19th October 2013, 2:53 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I've found a reference to Blue in the game, there's a woman in Lumiose City's PokeCenter and says: " The famous Professor Oak's grandson came here to Kalos to study abroad. He got "Bonjour" down just fine, but he still always said "Smell ya later!" when he left!", also in the same place, there's a guy that reference Team Plasma saying: " Have you heard of Team Plasma? Apparently it was making news a while back in the Unova region...", that means that X/Y happens after B/W, but before B2/W2?
Sorry if someone has talked about that earlier or if I get out of topic.

Nope, it takes place after B2/W2.
Some guy mentions Colress.

ShadowKreach
19th October 2013, 3:12 AM

Well given that Colress doesn't appear in BW, but he's mentioned in this game as having been in Kalos, but you never see him, it could very well take place in between the two games. So it'd be something like this...

-BW, Colress is in Kalos. This is why he isn't met in Black & White.
-XY, Colress has left Kalos for Unova. This is why he isn't met in X & Y.
-BW2, Colress is in Unova, and you meet him in this game.

Seems pretty feasible, but then again, there might be something somewhere that debunks it, but I'm not too sure.

ViniciusXP
19th October 2013, 3:16 AM

Thanks and sorry, I haven't played B2/W2, so I tought that Team Plasma ended at B/W.
I have also found a woman in a hotel saying that she and her husband met at the museum at Hoenn, and her husband says that the that the 45th anniversary is Ruby and the 50th is Sapphire.
I have a question, what happened to Lysandre after defeating Team Flare?

Zero38
19th October 2013, 6:42 PM
Guys, These words....

You and I were born
Right here in the same world
For this one brief life
we’re beneath the same sky.

The great flow of time,
The wide expanse of space
We are lucky enough
to share this lifetime we get

We can gain more if we give
By taking, we only lose.

Let us make this a new age
Where we show our gratitude

There’s a fragile bud of hope
blooming in each of our hearts.
Don’t you take that away
Our dreams are meant to be shared.

Let it grow. Let it live.
Let us see what it will bring.

When we share in our love,
we will make a beautiful world.

Search it out, and find the way;
the point where we can all meet

The point where we’re all the same
There it lies; the future we seek.

Start from there, and then we’ll forge
a world where all can be free

Free to dream, and free to smile.,
Free to be who we will be.

Lets make sure we create..

A world of our hopes and dreams.

In our brief lives
we’ve managed to meet
Treasure this gift
This precious time that we have
In our brief lives
we’ve managed to meet
Treasure this gift
This precious time that we have

AmusedMilk
20th October 2013, 1:49 AM
I've just realized something about Serena/Calem as a rival. She/he wants to be recognized. They want to be a good trainer. But YOU show up out of nowhere, and screw them out of all their opportunities (like the Mega Ring). The only time they are allowed to win is when they are on your side.

In short,
you are like Blue/Gary to them.

natrivv
20th October 2013, 4:11 AM
Actually has anyone else met with the old guy in anistar city, the one who asks for a pokemon level 5 or under? I want to reread the letter, but I can't find it anywhere in game, so I was hoping someone would be kind enough to type onto the thread since this seemed to be the right one.

AuraChannelerChris
20th October 2013, 4:41 AM
Does Tierno ever get the chance of owning a Ludicolo for his dance routines? The game does contain the Lotad line...

Regality
20th October 2013, 5:03 AM
The final battle with Team Flare just felt so.. anticlimactic for me, anyone else?

LassGabby
20th October 2013, 5:49 AM
I just played through the post game stuff with Looker in Lumoise all in one go last night. I won't say much about the plot for people who haven't done it yet, but think that's the most feels per square hour of Pokemon I've ever played through. For a plot based on a silly character it was brutal as all get out, even considering how dark the main game is. But it was also a lot of fun, and probably made X & Y one of my favorite postgames since FireRed and LeafGreen. I only wish there were more of these mini adventures you could do in different places, it would be like a whole other story after the real story.

Looker must be the best developed character in the whole series so far (N had a great character development on BW2 too, I must admit). His story line gave me a Phoenix Wright vibe for some reason (probably the feels) and I simply loved it. I hope Looker will have bigger roles in the games from now on, the man deserves it.

diakyu
20th October 2013, 7:24 AM
Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait-

Is it true Sycamore implies that you and your friends could be immortal since you were exposed to the machine's energy?

Exacus
20th October 2013, 7:50 AM

Is it true Sycamore implies that you and your friends could be immortal since you were exposed to the machine's energy?

If all it takes is the radiation of the blast to turn one immortal, then yes. In fact, I speculate that this is how AZ himself became immortal from resurrecting Floette (he was standing very close to the machine's "opening" where Floette was suspended).

On the other hand, Lysandre stated that there was only enough energy left in the ultimate weapon to turn Protag&Pals and himself into immortals, so it is possible that when they got exposed to the the radiation, their lifespans were extended by a couple to several decades at most, but they still remained mortal. Lysandre on the other hand is probably suffering from having a broken body under all that rubble...

And this only happens in X. In Y, Lysandre just wants to kamikaze everyone.

Sigh, all this theorycrafting makes me want a sequel already...

I mean, we don't even get to know what happened to AZ after the celebration...

Endolise
20th October 2013, 8:02 AM

If you interpret it that way, then sure (although Exacus presents a very good counterargument to that interpretation), but for the most part, all that Sycamore implies is that...

Your exposure to the Legendary Pokémon's energy has "synced" you with the Mega Stones and the Anistar Sundial, in a way, which is why you can now interact with the sundial (since you, the sundial, and the Mega Stones are all imbued with the same kind of energy).

L. Lawliet
20th October 2013, 8:09 AM
You know what im thinking? What if lysandre is related to alder? Crazy hair, great battler, interesting characters. Its a thought

k6666
20th October 2013, 11:27 AM
In short,

Muwahahaha :D
at least we know how it feel to be jerk rival :D

Bokk
20th October 2013, 12:56 PM
I've just realized something about Serena/Calem as a rival. She/he wants to be recognized. They want to be a good trainer. But YOU show up out of nowhere, and screw them out of all their opportunities (like the Mega Ring). The only time they are allowed to win is when they are on your side.

In short,

You don't just beat her in battles. You show up, and the other members of the gang instantly look up to you. Plus, Shauna says your rival's parents are great trainers. She's always been living in someone else's shadow.

fitzy909
20th October 2013, 1:29 PM
You know what im thinking? What if lysandre is related to alder? Crazy hair, great battler, interesting characters. Its a thought

in the same way that i feel that Az could be related to N. on the subject of Az

The story he tells in lysandre labs is amazing. it is touching and it had real feeling behind it. The art style for it was also quite impressive. He's a very mysterious character and I hope he gets featured in other games. Also, he is 9 feet tall. i thought i was tall, but...whoa.

hydrosharp_98
20th October 2013, 7:06 PM
I don't know if anyone's noticed but what's up with Malva after you beat the E4?

She leads you to Lysandre Labs in the Looker Series, and acts like she was a part of all of it. So, I decided to investigate and re-battled the E4 and Diantha (and won). She calls you a runt and rants about Team Flare (again!)!

Anyways, I'm loving the teasers to RS remakes, and a new region and game itself, where a guy in a hotel (the backpacker who gives you the Strange Souvenir) says he travelled far to get here (to Kalos), and says "You wouldn't believe this one town..." and then teases "you'll see in due time.."

Sir_Adamus
20th October 2013, 8:01 PM
I don't know if anyone's noticed but what's up with Malva after you beat the E4?

She leads you to Lysandre Labs in the Looker Series, and acts like she was a part of all of it. So, I decided to investigate and re-battled the E4 and Diantha (and won). She calls you a runt and rants about Team Flare (again!)!

You know the news reader who occasionally shows up on the Holo Caster? That's Malva. And as Lysandre made the Holo Caster...

Excitable Boy
20th October 2013, 8:12 PM

She literally tells you she was involved with Team Flare. I'm not sure how much more you need.

AuraChannelerChris
20th October 2013, 9:14 PM
I think we can all agree that in-game Alexa is the flattest character (I don't mean her bust size) in the entire new cast. She does nearly nothing besides giving you an item that's Easy Mode in disguise, and she's only there at her office.

Taodragon
20th October 2013, 9:26 PM
In short,

"Taodragon was here, Serena/Calem is a loser!"

She literally tells you she was involved with Team Flare. I'm not sure how much more you need.

Shame that they don't do much with that, it could of made for at least some more tension between you and her and at most it would've been interesting to have an Elite Four against you in the story. Oh well, maybe it'll be expanded next game...

Excitable Boy
20th October 2013, 9:42 PM
Shame that they don't do much with that, it could of made for at least some more tension between you and her and at most it would've been interesting to have an Elite Four against you in the story. Oh well, maybe it'll be expanded next game...

Well, they do some stuff with it post-game, including a match (though she's only got Pyroar, so meh).

Lorde
20th October 2013, 9:48 PM
The final battle with Team Flare just felt so.. anticlimactic for me, anyone else?

I thought the final battle was great. I don't know what I expected, but it definitely felt like a good climax to that storyline. I must admit that there were times when Team Flare didn't exactly impress me, but all the things that Lysandre himself did were amazing and he's definitely my favorite villainous team leader. I didn't care for characters like Tierno and Trevor though. Aside from not liking their designs, I felt that they were ultimately redundant.

Exacus
20th October 2013, 11:43 PM
TBH, this game had a lot of untapped potential when it came to the main plot. Yes, I'm aware Pokemon was never plot oriented, but still...

For one, there's Lysandre. After Lysandre made a giant hole in Geosenge, Sycamore's all "oh noes, I should have stopped him. I knew he was crazy about keeping things fabulous, but I should have stopped him, my fault, etc". And after that incident, the prof doesn't mention anything about his colleague anymore. Nobody even bothers to try and remove the rubble from the crater to see the aftermath of the blast (hey, if there are Pokemon that have a sense of smell 1 million times greater than that ofa human, it shouldn't be too hard to remove boulders from a 50-100m deep pit, now would it?). The only time someone alludes to his fate is when your main rival gives you the Absolite while saying something along the lines of "oh I have 2 Absolites, you can have one. Gotta show Lysandre we aren't politicians!"

Next is AZ. The ancient king of Kalos only shows up 4 times in the game.

1. When you finished kicking Team Flare out of the power plant.
2. When you find him locked up in Lysandre Labs.
3. After you escape the Lysandre's self-destruct attack.
4. At the parade where he finally reunites with Floette.

After that, nothing. We don't get to battle him again and we don't get to know what happened after the ceremony. He's just gone. Daferk GF. Give us an epilogue or a side quest for the poor guy! I wanted more information about the ancient war, AZ's immortality, what he did during 3000 years ago - present, and AZ himself instead of just:
"War happened, king's favourite 'mon died, king built machine to resurrect 'mon, used machine to kill cuz he was angry, 'mon left cuz king turned evil, king wandered for 3k years to find friend".

In fact, all of the ancient plot presented in the game revolved around the ultimate weapon...

And lastly, the gym leaders. Aside from Korrina, Wulfric, and maybe Clemont, the gym leaders were given a rather one dimensional personality and a purpose that consisted of giving you their badge and a TM.

Well, here's hoping that Z/X2/Y2/ZX/ZY/qwertyasdf remake/sequel will fill up these plot holes.

ECM
20th October 2013, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that the reason they left so many things unexplained, and why the post game is not too complex, is because they want to leave that for the third version/sequels.

I must say, the Looker side quest is one of the best side stories in all of the games.

TyranatarGojira
21st October 2013, 12:37 AM
I have to admit I was kinda bored with the story until the after the third gym. It just felt like you got to the town, now on to the next one, we're just padding it out.

Black/White spoiled me on two things.
1: The gym leaders. It was great how they tended to have roles in their comunity, and they helped out with team plasma. The X/Y gym leaders mostly just sit in their gyms and do diddly squat when team Flare threatens to kill everyone else. And they have no personality. It was extra noticable inOlympia's case.
2: Back to the villain team being wrapped up before the final gym. See it always feels anti-climactic when saving the world is second place to winning the championship. B/W tied the two together, and made going through the elite four feel like it meant something, and it gave the fights with N and Ghestis real weight.

Exacus
21st October 2013, 12:45 AM
Oh a related note, I managed to rip one of the war scenes from various youtube videos. It's in my signature :D. Unfortunately, my post count is too low right now to post urls to the unshrunken image.

Vintrial
21st October 2013, 12:48 AM
TBH, this game had a lot of untapped potential when it came to the main plot. Yes, I'm aware Pokemon was never plot oriented, but still...

For one, there's Lysandre. After Lysandre made a giant hole in Geosenge, Sycamore's all "oh noes, I should have stopped him. I knew he was crazy about keeping things fabulous, but I should have stopped him, my fault, etc". And after that incident, the prof doesn't mention anything about his colleague anymore. Nobody even bothers to try and remove the rubble from the crater to see the aftermath of the blast (hey, if there are Pokemon that have a sense of smell 1 million times greater than that ofa human, it shouldn't be too hard to remove boulders from a 50-100m deep pit, now would it?). The only time someone alludes to his fate is when your main rival gives you the Absolite while saying something along the lines of "oh I have 2 Absolites, you can have one. Gotta show Lysandre we aren't politicians!"

Next is AZ. The ancient king of Kalos only shows up 4 times in the game.

1. When you finished kicking Team Flare out of the power plant.
2. When you find him locked up in Lysandre Labs.
3. After you escape the Lysandre's self-destruct attack.
4. At the parade where he finally reunites with Floette.

After that, nothing. We don't get to battle him again and we don't get to know what happened after the ceremony. He's just gone. Daferk GF. Give us an epilogue or a side quest for the poor guy! I wanted more information about the ancient war, AZ's immortality, what he did during 3000 years ago - present, and AZ himself instead of just:
"War happened, king's favourite 'mon died, king built machine to resurrect 'mon, used machine to kill cuz he was angry, 'mon left cuz king turned evil, king wandered for 3k years to find friend".

In fact, all of the ancient plot presented in the game revolved around the ultimate weapon...

And lastly, the gym leaders. Aside from Korrina, Wulfric, and maybe Clemont, the gym leaders were given a rather one dimensional personality and a purpose that consisted of giving you their badge and a TM.

Well, here's hoping that Z/X2/Y2/ZX/ZY/qwertyasdf remake/sequel will fill up these plot holes.

MAYBE we get a movie featuring AZ and Celebi and if we get event serebi we get a side quest!

Exacus
21st October 2013, 2:16 AM
Besides strengthening the plot, I wonder if it's possible to discover more new Pokemon in the sequel.

Based on what AZ did 3000 years ago, it's a reasonable explanation as to why there are only 69 new Pokemon in Kalos. So in Z/X2/Y2/whatever, the Pokemon that went extinct after the mass destruction could be resurrected using Xerneas's life powers or Zygarde's order powers. Hell, maybe GF will make AZ appeal to Dialga or Arceus to "Deus ex machina" the dead Pokemon.

Marmalade
21st October 2013, 4:16 AM
I just finished the game and from what I've skimmed here, I'm not the only one that was disappointed with the storyline of the game... I very much enjoyed the graphics and all the new extras, but the storyline itself was the most boring thing I've encountered in a while... I sat there staring at the parade cutscene completely surprised at the "five defenders of Kalos" mention - it did not make any sense to me, considering the only ones who seemed to have an impact on stopping Team Flare were the Protagonist and the Rival. The entire group of 'friends' you're supposed to have just annoyed me throughout the entire game with its lack of character development and use. I was also disappointed with Calem - for your rival he didn't seem very dedicated at all. There were a few moments where I felt myself starting to like him, but overall, to me the characters were all entirely one dimensional and plain pointless.

Team Flare seemed also incredibly under developed, as did Lysandre (though I liked his ideals and how they brought real life concerns into the game), who had so much potential, along with the Professor. I would have liked to get a more thorough backstory on the two. AZ also disappointed me.

I understand that Pokemon has never been a game about the storyline, and maybe it has been too long since I last finished a game (last one for me was Platinum, which I loved), but I just sat there watching the ending cutscene thinking to myself, "That's it?". It's supposed to be emotional but the lack of almost any character development (at least to me) made it impossible for me to like any of the characters. :/ Tierno and Trevor were just 'there', Shauna was annoying, and Calem wavered between 'potential development' and 'what is your point here'.

Overall, I think I went into this game expecting too much. Maybe I'll get more out of it on my second playthrough... But hopefully the sequel will sort out some of the grievances people have on lack of story and character development. (And I would love to know more about Kalos' history, and the war overall!)

diakyu
21st October 2013, 5:14 AM
Sorry but Lysandre was the most developed charachter in the game. His development and characterization was sprinkled everywhere from his talks in the cafes, his holocoster notes, and even some of the grunts talk about him. He's definitely one of the series best built characters next to N and maybe Cyrus.

AZ's was pretty good too but I feel he suffered from lack of appearances. But there really isn't much you can get from a wandering giant searching for his pokemon. He got the closure I would have given him.

Exacus
21st October 2013, 5:42 AM
AZ's was pretty good too but I feel he suffered from lack of appearances. But there really isn't much you can get from a wandering giant searching for his pokemon. He got the closure I would have given him.

For me, simply having AZ reunite with Floette only to disappear, never to be mentioned again just isn't good enough. It doesn't make sense to have a plot-centric character not have some sort of epilogue. In B/W, N was at least mentioned to be seen in a distant region with Zekrom or Reshiram.

Dad
21st October 2013, 6:04 AM
The part where Lysandre cried was the most touching moment I have ever seen.

Grandad
21st October 2013, 6:51 AM
The part where Lysandre cried was the most touching moment I have ever seen.My God, I wanted to cry myself when that happened. I got almost as emotionaly during that scene as I do watching the Walking Dead(which is obviosuly the best show evar!!! XD)

Kataphrut
21st October 2013, 10:12 AM
Just took down Team Flare. I have to say, they are kind of a come-down from Team Plasma. In general, this game hasn't been as strongly written as Black and White were.

I did like Lysandre as a villain, even if everyone else in the organisation was kind of one-dimensional. The final battle with him was particularly epic, especially when I brought Yvytel...Yvytal...Yvhowever you spell it to bear against his Gyarados. I just wish that they hadn't made him look so obviously villainous. The conversations with him before the "reveal" were pretty interesting, imagine how much weight the betrayal would have had if we couldn't have all seen it coming from a mile off. I mean, his hair was exactly the same shade of red as Team Flare's colours! Did they think people wouldn't notice that?

Also, I stopped using the Exp Share halfway through the game and Serena appears to have caught up with me level-wise. I still feel bad for constantly crushing her spirits everytime we fight, but at least it's more of a fair fight now. I'm hoping I get to battle Trevor at least one more time and find him sporting a six-man team of the best and rarest Pokemon in the game. It would make sense for a lad who's trying to catch 'em all; after a while, he'd have to have some good ones.

killercloud
21st October 2013, 10:35 AM
The storyline was a bit poor for me too but the thing I was most disappointed with is the postgame. There just doesn't seem to be one. 4 legendaries to catch??? Where are all the others? And also there is no incentive to go do the battle areas. What do I get for finishing them? Nothing. Unlike in White 2 where they were willing to give out shinies for it. My White 2 save has 250+ hours put into it and there is still things to do, this has had 50 hours and I feel like it's finished. Really disappointed.

Jacobthepokemonfreak
21st October 2013, 11:25 AM
Mate, have you completed the Looker questline?

That is the single most best side-quest in almost any game (not made by square enix).

killercloud
21st October 2013, 12:09 PM

That is the single most best side-quest in almost any game (not made by square enix).

No I haven't actually. I only found out about that this morning. I shall try it tonight.

ShadowKreach
21st October 2013, 3:09 PM

I just wish the main game was that good, plot-wise.

Endolise
21st October 2013, 4:52 PM
I mean, his hair was exactly the same shade of red as Team Flare's colours! Did they think people wouldn't notice that?

The storyline was a bit poor for me too but the thing I was most disappointed with is the postgame. There just doesn't seem to be one. 4 legendaries to catch??? Where are all the others? And also there is no incentive to go do the battle areas. What do I get for finishing them? Nothing. Unlike in White 2 where they were willing to give out shinies for it. My White 2 save has 250+ hours put into it and there is still things to do, this has had 50 hours and I feel like it's finished. Really disappointed.

I don't know how people aren't already used to either of these things. As far as the spoiler goes,

Pokémon's villains are never subtly concealed. I mean, seriously, did anybody not know right off the bat that N and Colress were involved with Team Plasma? Or that Cyrus was involved with Team Galactic? Or that Ghetsis wasn't the wholesome, well-intentioned preacher that he was masquerading as?

And as far as the post-game content goes, these are the initial paired versions of the new generation. How much post-game content did BW have? Just about as much as XY, I would say. RS had even less. Wait until Z/X2Y2/KiwiStrawberry for the loads of post-game content.

killercloud
21st October 2013, 4:56 PM
I hope you are right Endolise. I suppose I was probably so surprised / blown away by White 2s postgame I forgot about previous games and just feel as though that should be the norm.

hydrosharp_98
21st October 2013, 5:25 PM
For me, and every post I've seen on this thread, Team Flare just weren't good enough - hopefully, this great potential is used in A/Z/XY/XYZ/AZ/XY2/whatever. AZ seems like he could be a great character, but seriously, GF...four appearances?! And what happened to Lysandre after? Honestly, GF, I'm going to make up an excuse for you and say that everyone at GF was too busy working on MegaEvolution, 3D overworld AND battles, etc. I mean they only gave us 69 pokemon. Really?

Endolise
21st October 2013, 5:30 PM
I hope you are right Endolise. I suppose I was probably so surprised / blown away by White 2s postgame I forgot about previous games and just feel as though that should be the norm.

Oh, if only. B2W2 had a glorious amount of post-game content.

I mean they only gave us 69 pokemon. Really?

I'm just going to quote myself on this one:

Before Gen VI, we had 649 Pokémon. Which is a lot. There comes a point were it becomes inefficient to produce large quantities of Pokémon all at once. If you ran a small convenience store, and you still had a fair stock of bread, would you call for 50 more loafs or 150? You would most likely call for 50 loafs, since 150 would leave you overstocked.

Plus, there are only so many ways that you can alter the stat, type, and movepool spreads without it becoming either redundant or overpowered. I know that Game Freak still has a ways to go in terms of combinations, but it is a more strategic and productive move in the long run to take their time and save some of those combinations for later Gens. Furthermore, those 649 Pokémon from the first five Gens are still perfectly usable, so why ignore them in favor of unnecessary new Pokémon?

Even further is the fact that having such a large number of Pokémon isn't easy to maintain, as they have to create the models for each and every Pokémon variant in the game (including forms, gender differences, and most of all, Shinies, which alone double the number of models that they have to make), animate them in several different ways for different situations, add Pokédex entries for every one, etc., etc. It takes up a lot of data, and XY were already very full games with loads of other features.

And lastly, there is also the matter of having to come up with names for every new Pokémon while also ensuring that they aren't infringing on any existing trademarks.

(And this is, of course, the point at which mega evolutions come in, as they are a brilliant concept from a production standpoint since they allow Game Freak to circumvent a lot of these issues while still introducing new content.)

Sir_Adamus
21st October 2013, 5:35 PM
I'm just gonna run a quick count of the number of Pokémon introduced in each generation.

Gen I: 151
Gen II: 100 (251)
Gen III: 135 (386)
Gen IV: 109 (493)
Gen V: 156 (649)
Gen VI: 69 (718)

Pattern seems to be that odd numbered generations have about 150, even numbered around 100. Exceptions include Gen III and now, Gen VI, which have 20/30 - though Gen III introduced form changing and Gen VI introduced Mega Evolution.

Charizard86
21st October 2013, 10:32 PM
I would actually rather they looked at improving the pokemon they already have. Mega evolutions is a great way to do that but there are still some that could do with a permanent evolution in order to bring them all up to the same level of quality that other pokemon have. Most of the gimmick pokemon had their fun in each generation they were introduced but when the next gen comes out they become forgettable: Spinda, Plusle, Minum, Chatot, Audino. Rather than them just being wasted spots to fill in the poledex Game Freak can use their genius to term them into something people will want to use!

Born Better
21st October 2013, 11:36 PM
Most of what I think has been said and I'm on a phone, so I'll just say this:

-Tierno and Trevor are useless and add absolutely nothing
-Shauna's a bit better, but still doesn't do much.
-People need to learn how to use more than 3 pokemon
-Team Flare as a whole sucked and barely did anything
-Despite all that, I thought Lysandre was a really good villiain
-The only Gym Leader worth two *censored*s is Korrina and maybe Wulfric to a small extent. The rest suck, though I do like Valeri's(?) design and the fact that she wants to be a pokemon is kind of funny and cute for some reason.
-Olympia's gym is the second best gym ever. The best being Drayden's in BW2.
-Lack of Gym themes sucks
-It really didn't feel like Yveltal served any other real purpose other than to be caught.
-AZ was nice, but I felt they could've done more with him.
-Why no hard mode?
-I think Looker might have the most generational appearances out of anyone in the series.
-I like how you can actually battle Sycamore. Hopefully one day, we can battle the mom. Maybe even as a secret member of the E4 or as the champion.

All I've got right now.

Also while Lysandre and his goals and motives are great and all, Ghetsis is still much better to me. Yeah he just wanted world domination ,but the way he went about it was absolutely brilliant.

Endolise
21st October 2013, 11:40 PM
I think Looker might have the most generational appearances out of anyone in the series.

That title actually goes to Red and Blue, who have both appeared in five out of six generations so far.

Not counting remakes as separate appearances from their originals, however, then Looker would actually be tied with Red, Blue, Prof. Oak, Steven, Cynthia, Jasmine, Sabrina, and Crasher Wake.

ShadowKreach
21st October 2013, 11:51 PM
I just thought of something...

Valerie's apparently a fashion designer from the Johto region, which is mentioned by someone in-game. She also mentions how she wants to be a Pokemon, and her main Pokemon is Sylveon, one of the evolved forms of Eevee.
Bill is also from the Johto region (His family live there, at the very least). He himself has been turned into a Pokemon in the past, and his favourite Pokemon just so happens to be Eevee. It seems entirely possible that there could be a link between these two characters.
It's possibly a coincidence that these two characters share these traits, but it's definitely something to think about...

Sir_Adamus
22nd October 2013, 12:02 AM

Valerie's apparently a fashion designer from the Johto region, which is mentioned by someone in-game. She also mentions how she wants to be a Pokemon, and her main Pokemon is Sylveon, one of the evolved forms of Eevee.
Bill is also from the Johto region (His family live there, at the very least). He himself has been turned into a Pokemon in the past, and his favourite Pokemon just so happens to be Eevee. It seems entirely possible that there could be a link between these two characters.
It's possibly a coincidence that these two characters share these traits, but it's definitely something to think about...

To be honest, I made more of a connection to the Kimono Girls - only problem is that Valerie isn't wearing a Kimono - although the trainers in her gym are, but I don't know if that means anything.

Born Better
22nd October 2013, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=Endolise;16554213]That title actually goes to Red and Blue, who have both appeared in five out of six generations so far.

Not counting remakes as separate appearances from their originals, however, then Looker would actually be tied with Red, Blue, Prof. Oak, Steven, Cynthia, Jasmine, Sabrina, and Crasher Wake.[/
Wasn't counting PWT.

Looker- 4, 5, 6
Red-1 and 2
Green/Blue/Gary- 1, 2, mentioned in 6
Jasmine- 2 and 4
Sabrina-1 and 2
Wake- 4 and 5
Cynthia- 4 and 5
Steven-3
Oak-1,2,and 4 so I'll give you that one.

As far as total in game appearances go(not counting remakes or PWT), I'm not really sure.

wakbob
22nd October 2013, 4:44 PM
When is serebii updating the rivals page with the main characters?

Endolise
22nd October 2013, 5:10 PM
Wasn't counting PWT.

Looker- 4, 5, 6
Red-1 and 2
Jasmine- 2 and 4
Sabrina-1 and 2
Wake- 4 and 5
Cynthia- 4 and 5
Steven-3

As far as total in game appearances go(not counting remakes or PWT), I'm not really sure.

In that case, Sabrina would actually have three appearances to her name, as she plays the villain in a line of Pokéstar Studios films in B2W2.

Also, I personally wouldn't count mentions/references, because they're very difficult to keep track of. But that's just me. :P

On an unrelated note, did anybody else feel sad when...

...it was said that Looker's [Croagunk] died while helping him with a case? <:C

hydrosharp_98
22nd October 2013, 8:36 PM
[QUOTE=Endolise;16554213]That title actually goes to Red and Blue, who have both appeared in five out of six generations so far.

Not counting remakes as separate appearances from their originals, however, then Looker would actually be tied with Red, Blue, Prof. Oak, Steven, Cynthia, Jasmine, Sabrina, and Crasher Wake.[/
Wasn't counting PWT.

Looker- 4, 5, 6
Red-1 and 2
Jasmine- 2 and 4
Sabrina-1 and 2
Wake- 4 and 5
Cynthia- 4 and 5
Steven-3

Technically Steven was in 2 as he was in HGSS (Hoenn starter giver?).

EDIT: also, Caitlin appeared in gen 4 and 5, and 2 if you include Johto frontier (2 and 4 also applies for other Frontier Brains introduced in gen 4 if you count that way). The Magikarp salesman also appears in gens 1 and 5. The Team Rocket executives also appear in gens 1 and 2. The majority of Kanto leaders appear in gens 1 and 2. Bill appears in 1 and 2, as does Giovanni (though you may choose not to count 2 as this is event only). In fact almost every character in gen 1 appears in gen 2.

Born Better
22nd October 2013, 10:03 PM
In that case, Sabrina would actually have three appearances to her name, as she plays the villain in a line of Pokéstar Studios films in B2W2.

Also, I personally wouldn't count mentions/references, because they're very difficult to keep track of. But that's just me. :P

Didn't really play pokestar so I didn't know that. And I wasn't counting references; I simply brought it up.

[QUOTE=Born Better;16554389]

Technically Steven was in 2 as he was in HGSS (Hoenn starter giver?).

EDIT: also, Caitlin appeared in gen 4 and 5, and 2 if you include Johto frontier (2 and 4 also applies for other Frontier Brains introduced in gen 4 if you count that way). The Magikarp salesman also appears in gens 1 and 5. The Team Rocket executives also appear in gens 1 and 2. The majority of Kanto leaders appear in gens 1 and 2. Bill appears in 1 and 2, as does Giovanni (though you may choose not to count 2 as this is event only). In fact almost every character in gen 1 appears in gen 2.
Didn't know about Steven so okay. HGSS is still gen 4, so no. And I was only responding to the characters bruh man listed.

Regality
22nd October 2013, 10:27 PM
Quick question!

You know how you share a romantic firework display with Shauna? Well what happens if you play as the female character?

Endolise
22nd October 2013, 10:34 PM
Quick question!

You know how you share a romantic firework display with Shauna? Well what happens if you play as the female character?

She says that she is glad to have you as a friend (or something to that effect).

Also, the male protagonist's version of the fireworks display isn't really all that "romantic" anyway, in my opinion.

Psynergy
22nd October 2013, 10:39 PM

Yes. I couldn't believe that actually happened. Given that we actually saw that same Croagunk in Platinum, the fact that it's now dead is a huge surprise. I really want to know what kind of case Looker was on to cause a result like that. Poor Croagunk...

ShadowKreach
22nd October 2013, 11:50 PM

I did a double take when I read that. It came totally out of the blue and made me feel really bad for Looker. I wasn't expecting such a dark turn, especially not in the post-game...

Speaking of, despite my initial view of the game being that it was a lot more light-hearted and goofy than most previous games (Thanks for that, Team Flare Grunts), I actually feel like X & Y could be the darkest games in the series yet. There are so many weird things to think about in the game that it just changed the atmosphere of the entire game to a much more serious tone.

For one thing, there's Team Flare, who, as I mentioned, initially struck me as being really goofy, more like Team Galactic than Team Plasma or (To a lesser extent) Team Rocket. Nothing they did really made any sense until much later in the story where you find out that they're essentially made up of a bunch of people who have payed a crap ton of money to get into Team Flare so as not to be completely obliterated by an ancient super weapon that their boss wants to activate to cleanse the world. Yeah.
What's even worse is that it's less somewhat ambiguous as to what happened to Lysandre after he fires off the weapon with the little power that it has left, although a lot of people interpret his firing of the weapon as being Lysandre committing suicide (And potentially killing every Team Flare member left in the HQ too). Yeah.

Then there's the Post-Game Looker sidequests, which I felt were more dark than even the main plot of the games. You meet a young girl whose parents are implied to be dead (Or she's just been abandoned, depending on how you interpret it), we get told that Looker's Croagunk was killed while Looker was on a mission, Malva tells you to be prepared to face death if you go to face Xerosic and as far as I can tell she wouldn't have been too happy if Looker hadn't kept his side of a deal they made (I don't know if it's ever disclosed what the deal was).

Then finally there are all kinds of side things to do which can potentially end up being dark, the most prominent of which in my mind is when you give one of you Pokemon to the old man in Anistar City, who tells you his wife recently passed away and that he's feeling lonely. If you haven't given him a Pokemon yet, I highly suggest you do.

Yeah, I think I made my point. X & Y are dark.

Oshakpop
23rd October 2013, 12:00 AM
I definitely love how GameFreak is continuously putting dark undertones into the storylines. If you skimmed past it all you'd think it was harmless and meant nothing, but then we're able to delve into it and really get what it means. GameFreak definitely has all the fandom in their minds nowadays, giving the older fans the dark storyline that they can find by reading between the lines, but giving the younger fans a fun storyline.

I've already forgotten what happens at the end, but it's not revealed what happened to Lysandre, the Scientists (bar Xerosic) or the rest of Team Flare is it?. I presumed that Lysandre was killed by the blast and some of the other members, but most will do the usual and just disappear or give up being a member.

Endolise
23rd October 2013, 12:12 AM
For one thing, there's Team Flare, who, as I mentioned, initially struck me as being really goofy, more like Team Galactic than Team Plasma or (To a lesser extent) Team Rocket. Nothing they did really made any sense until much later in the story where you find out that they're essentially made up of a bunch of people who have payed a crap ton of money to get into Team Flare so as not to be completely obliterated by an ancient super weapon that their boss wants to activate to cleanse the world. Yeah.
What's even worse is that it's less somewhat ambiguous as to what happened to Lysandre after he fires off the weapon with the little power that it has left, although a lot of people interpret his firing of the weapon as being Lysandre committing suicide (And potentially killing every Team Flare member left in the HQ too). Yeah.

Not to mention the stones on Route 10 being, in reality, devices that are used to drain the life energy of Pokémon in order to power the ultimate weapon. During the story, if you talk to the grunts who block the path to Route 10 once the weapon is activated, one of them says something like "I won't listen to the Pokémon's cries!" and another says "I'm not letting you through. Someone your age shouldn't be exposed to such sights."

Then finally there are all kinds of side things to do which can potentially end up being dark, the most prominent of which in my mind is when you give one of you Pokemon to the old man in Anistar City, who tells you his wife recently passed away and that he's feeling lonely. If you haven't given him a Pokemon yet, I highly suggest you do.

Oh man. I had already read about what happens if you do that and I legitimately cried a little when I went to talk to him myself.

(Also, just to note (for the benefit of anybody who may want to try it), defeating the Elite Four/Champion is the trigger for the resolution of that mini-plot.)

TyranatarGojira
23rd October 2013, 12:23 AM

I like to think
That in some distant region they were stopping the evil plot of Team Psycho, some psychic supremist group. Lookers Croagunk held off four Metagross, taking them all down with it while Looker difussed a device that would have killed every Dark Type in the region.

diakyu
23rd October 2013, 12:24 AM
Not to mention the stones on Route 10 being, in reality, devices that are used to drain the life energy of Pokémon in order to power the ultimate weapon. During the story, if you talk to the grunts who block the path to Route 10 once the weapon is activated, one of them says something like "I won't listen to the Pokémon's cries!" and another says "I'm not letting you through. Someone your age shouldn't be exposed to such sights."
I never talked to them, but what the crap. That's horrible.

Exacus
23rd October 2013, 12:56 AM
[QUOTE=Endolise;16558936]Not to mention the stones on Route 10 being, in reality, devices that are used to drain the life energy of Pokémon in order to power the ultimate weapon. During the story, if you talk to the grunts who block the path to Route 10 once the weapon is activated, one of them says something like "I won't listen to the Pokémon's cries!" and another says "I'm not letting you through. Someone your age shouldn't be exposed to such sights."

I remember seeing the last panel in AZ's flashback. The first time I saw it, I thought: "Whoa, are those the tombstones of Pokemon killed by the ancient weapon's blast?"

But after watching the story's climax again, I realized that the stones were not used as a remembrance of those killed by the ultimate weapon, but instead, they were used to drain the life energy of Pokemon attached to them for the sake of Floette's resurrection. And then I thought: "Holy crap! Those stones have Pokemon images on them because the sacrificed Pokemon became petrified and merged with the stones as a result of their life force being taken away..."

Taodragon
23rd October 2013, 1:02 AM
After playing the story, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in it. It's one of those stories where I feel it has some excellent concepts to it (like Lysandre's ultimate goal), but it lacks the depth and execution to truly bring them out in some areas, especially when it comes to a majority of the characters where I feel ended up being too one-note. If it wasn't for that, the story would be excellent, but I can't help but feel that it just missed the mark because it didn't follow through.

I'm a bit confused by that actually, the flare members imply that Pokémon spirits are being harvested, but IIRC there were some comments that the energy was (at least mostly) coming from the statues that housed passed away Pokémon. Were the housed Pokémon the ones crying? I'm curious about that.

Endolise
23rd October 2013, 1:17 AM
I'm a bit confused by that actually, the flare members imply that Pokémon spirits are being harvested, but IIRC there were some comments that the energy was (at least mostly) coming from the statues that housed passed away Pokémon. Were the housed Pokémon the ones crying? I'm curious about that.

You have to talk to Bryony after you battle her and Celosia at Lysandre Labs in order to learn this, but while the stones normally output energy, the flow reverses when the weapon is activated and absorbs the lives of Pokémon that are attached to them instead. Team Flare used the Poké Balls that they stole from the factory in Laverre City in order to capture Pokémon with high energy levels (which I assume is what the scientist's visors are used to detect) and then attached those Poké Balls to the stones. Once Xerosic activated the weapon, the stones began draining the life energy of the Pokémon in those Poké Balls (although Tierno, Trevor, Totally-Not-Sina, and Totally-Not-Dexio managed to disrupt the process).

I assume that the grunt who mentioned the Pokémon's cries was referring to the cries of the living Pokémon in the Poké Balls, in the same way that, say, Korrina said that she could feel Lucario's fondness for you emanating from its Poké Ball.

shadowF
23rd October 2013, 2:19 AM
Do you guys think we are not able to re battle shauna, tierno and trevor or perhaps we can re battle them post game?

Exacus
23rd October 2013, 2:27 AM
Nope, we're not. Tierno gives you fetch quests for heart scales, Trevor tells you if a Pokemon that has a Mevolution every day, and Shauna just stands in front of your house for the rest of her life after she trades you her starter's baby.

shadowF
23rd October 2013, 2:59 AM
oh, I guess they are saving them for the third version.

theraggedyman
23rd October 2013, 3:33 AM
So post-game, I popped by Anistar City and a girl mentioned that besides Team Flare, there were a group of people who inquired about Xerneas/Yveltal a few years earlier. Any thoughts?

rng
23rd October 2013, 3:34 AM
Is Blue/Gary in the game? Someone was talking about him coming to Kalos to studying abroad.

Wulava
23rd October 2013, 3:36 AM
Is Blue/Gary in the game? Someone was talking about him coming to Kalos to studying abroad.

Just a reference. He doesn't show up. Other NPCs referenced Colress and Shauntal. I think there several more.

So post-game, I popped by Anistar City and a girl mentioned that besides Team Flare, there were a group of people who inquired about Xerneas/Yveltal a few years earlier. Any thoughts?

Yeah. This game has so many mysteries, I have so many questions.

MetalFlygon08
23rd October 2013, 3:38 AM
Is there screenshots of every trainer class as they appear in battle? I saw the Maid's image today and really want to get a good look at it. That and the sexy female Rangers...

rng
23rd October 2013, 3:43 AM
Is there screenshots of every trainer class as they appear in battle? I saw the Maid's image today and really want to get a good look at it. That and the sexy female Rangers...

Lol try looking for the renders.

Wulava
23rd October 2013, 3:47 AM

I wish they release the actual artworks for these trainers.
I hate the fact that it quickly zooms in before you even take a good look at the full-body artwork.

Endolise
23rd October 2013, 3:59 AM
Just a reference. He doesn't show up. Other NPCs referenced Colress and Shauntal.

Shauntal got mentioned?

Born Better
23rd October 2013, 4:02 AM
By a fairy girl in the area with the "haunted" house. Something about reading one of her novels.

Psynergy
23rd October 2013, 5:31 AM
I wish they release the actual artworks for these trainers.
I hate the fact that it quickly zooms in before you even take a good look at the full-body artwork.

Well, if you enter the Battle Maison and do a Multi Battle, they at least don't zoom in since there are two different models being shown at once, so there's that, I guess.

Silversea
23rd October 2013, 5:33 AM

I don't think this is enough to be considered a link. I'm pretty sure its just a coincidence, I imagined Valerie as her own "unique" pokemon cosplay rather than designed on something specific.

Toy Soldier Mafia
23rd October 2013, 5:36 AM
Well, if you enter the Battle Maison and do a Multi Battle, they at least don't zoom in since there are two different models being shown at once, so there's that, I guess.

Speaking of Battle Maison, I still haven't seen all the Battle Chatelaines. Are there any screen shots of those?

Psynergy
23rd October 2013, 5:40 AM
Speaking of Battle Maison, I still haven't seen all the Battle Chatelaines. Are there any screen shots of those?

I personally have fought three of the four (still need to fight Morgan), but I haven't seen any screenshots for them floating around. There should be videos of people who have battled them, though.

Taodragon
23rd October 2013, 6:07 AM
Shauntal got mentioned?

One of the Fairy Princess trainers said she was looking forward to her next book.

ShadowKreach
23rd October 2013, 2:39 PM
I don't think this is enough to be considered a link. I'm pretty sure its just a coincidence, I imagined Valerie as her own "unique" pokemon cosplay rather than designed on something specific.

I thin you may have misread my post, I didn't really mention anything about the basis of her character design...

Sir_Adamus
23rd October 2013, 8:54 PM
I definitely love how GameFreak is continuously putting dark undertones into the storylines. If you skimmed past it all you'd think it was harmless and meant nothing, but then we're able to delve into it and really get what it means. GameFreak definitely has all the fandom in their minds nowadays, giving the older fans the dark storyline that they can find by reading between the lines, but giving the younger fans a fun storyline.

I've already forgotten what happens at the end, but it's not revealed what happened to Lysandre, the Scientists (bar Xerosic) or the rest of Team Flare is it?. I presumed that Lysandre was killed by the blast and some of the other members, but most will do the usual and just disappear or give up being a member.

It's implied Lysandre was probably crushed by the falling base - the other Flare lot may have made it out, Malva was probably there (being killed would rather suck) and clearly got out fine.
In X, the point of finding the ultimate weapon was to give Team Flare immortality, with a side effect of murdering everyone else (which was the point in Y). As the Ultimate Weapon was made initially as an immortality giving device and fashioned into a giant death machine, Lysandre's probably trapped under the rubble unable to die in both versions.

Griever789
24th October 2013, 3:13 AM
Hm something I noticed a bit with a lot of npc's are a lot of their dialog suggest they are uncomfortable with their clique, Like one hex girl complains that being a hex girl isn't her thing, one fairy tale girl says she has trouble getting into the part of a fairy tale girl, a swimmer who hanging out in a bog since she's uncomfortable with other's seeing her, their even more examples in the battle maison and institute, a painter who only in it for the money, a punk who became a punk because he could'nt live up the his veteran parents, a waitress that hates her job, lots of examples of people who are uncomfortable with their clique.

Psynergy
24th October 2013, 4:47 AM
The Battle Maison gave me a reason to respect it a bit more now. Just realized you can team up with Trevor, Tierno and Shauna, which is actually something I've been waiting for since D/P. Teaming up with rivals/friends is so much better than teaming with a random character you just met. The fact that they have set Pokemon makes them feel more true to the character too. With what little battling you did with them in the main story, I'm glad we get to see more out of them here.

shadowF
24th October 2013, 4:53 AM
The Battle Maison gave me a reason to respect it a bit more now. Just realized you can team up with Trevor, Tierno and Shauna, which is actually something I've been waiting for since D/P. Teaming up with rivals/friends is so much better than teaming with a random character you just met. The fact that they have set Pokemon makes them feel more true to the character too. With what little battling you did with them in the main story, I'm glad we get to see more out of them here.

Can we team up with serena too?

Psynergy
24th October 2013, 4:55 AM
Can we team up with serena too?

Nope, just those three. Kind of a shame, but at least we can battle her each day, unlike these three. Part of the reason may be because they create a random character to team up with for every person on your friends list, but I don't know.

AuraChannelerChris
24th October 2013, 6:39 AM

Wait. Fatty, Ginger, and Tanned Bianca have been reduced to D/P's Stat Trainers...Multi-Battle support?

Doesn't change the fact they're all one-dimensional. They're now tools for us to exploit.

Psynergy
24th October 2013, 6:45 AM
Wait. Fatty, Ginger, and Tanned Bianca have been reduced to D/P's Stat Trainers...Multi-Battle support?

Doesn't change the fact they're all one-dimensional. They're now tools for us to exploit.

Well, kinda. They just don't get awesome things like Regis. They literally only use two Pokemon: Sylveon and Goodra for Shauna (which look very well EV'ed, to be honest), Talonflame and Hawlucha for Tierno, and Trevor is Grant V2 with Aurorus and Tyrantrum (with some awkward EV investments).

They also make randomized partners based on your friends list, probably like Friend Safari, so there's other options. I can team up with my own, which apparently uses Snorlax and Porygon 2. But that's another topic.

shadowF
24th October 2013, 6:46 AM
Well, kinda. They just don't get awesome things like Regis. They literally only use two Pokemon: Sylveon and Goodra for Shauna (which look very well EV'ed, to be honest), Talonflame and Hawlucha for Tierno, and Trevor is Grant V2 with Aurorus and Tyrantrum (with some awkward EV investments).

Did they have those pokemon before post game?

Psynergy
24th October 2013, 6:56 AM
Did they have those pokemon before post game?

Tierno had Talonflame and Shauna had Goodra, but Trevor had neither of those two he uses. I would have liked to see them use a select few party members, though, since they seemed to be getting some good teams built up when you fight them towards the end of the game.

bigbro223
24th October 2013, 9:45 PM
Nope, just those three. Kind of a shame, but at least we can battle her each day, unlike these three. Part of the reason may be because they create a random character to team up with for every person on your friends list, but I don't know.
I know, I'm very disappointed these three have a next-to-none role in the post-game, especially Shauna.

AuraChannelerChris
24th October 2013, 9:48 PM
I know, I'm very disappointed these three have a next-to-none role in the post-game, especially Shauna.

To be honest, Shauna had more stuff (as in a little more) than Trevor and Tierno did.

ShadowKreach
24th October 2013, 11:04 PM
I just don't get why they saw it fit to even add these characters to the game and then not do anything with them. They seem to make such a big deal about how much Tierno loves dancing, but it has no bearing on anything. He says he wants to create a Pokemon dance team, and that's all well and good, but... He doesn't. Granted, his pokemon all know a move with the word "Dance" in the name, but apart from that it's just a pretty generic team. The only Pokemon he has that makes any sense is Roserade.
If you ask me he should've just had a Mono-Grass team and used Maractus, Roserade, Lilligant and Ludicolo (I'm aware half of them aren't in the regional Pokedex, but they should've been).
It's even worse with Trevor and Shauna. As far as I'm concerned they may as well not exist at all.

But by far the worst thing is the fact that, despite ME putting in all the hard work stopping Team Flare, they all get praised for their bravery too.
Remember that these are the guys who ran and hid from just one Team Flare Grunt at Laverre City while I worked my butt off expelling an entire group of them from the factory. It certainly took the edge off of MY victory.

Endolise
24th October 2013, 11:12 PM
But by far the worst thing is the fact that, despite ME putting in all the hard work stopping Team Flare, they all get praised for their bravery too.

To be fair, they did prevent the grunts on Route 10 from attaching the Pokémon that Team Flare had acquired to the stones, which would have killed those Pokémon.

ShadowKreach
24th October 2013, 11:19 PM
To be fair, they did prevent the grunts on Route 10 from attaching the Pokémon that Team Flare had acquired to the stones, which would have killed those Pokémon.

You make a good point, but they still FEEL like they did nothing. Shauna's definitely the worst offender when it comes to it, but Tierno and Trevor just aren't much better. They disappear for a while as you go off to take on Team Flare's boss and fight a legendary Pokemon, then they come back and are like "Yeah, we did some stuff". They may as well have just sat down and had a picnic for all the relevance it had.

AuraChannelerChris
24th October 2013, 11:23 PM
And it's not like the Kalos Emblem or whatever lets you enter other places. It's just a Key Item wasting a spot... At least they acknowledge the MC unlike when Hoenn was in a climate crisis and then everyone doesn't care you stopped it all with your efforts. You DID go up to the version Legendary/Rayquaza, but that was a lot.

In fact, I think that whole ceremony was waaaaaaaaay too random and forced.