PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Discussion

Invisionary Bloo
7th May 2005, 2:45 PM
The only thread I've seen on the subject is the one entitled 'FMA out today' and since that's not a general discussion thread, I thought I'd create one.

Expect plenty of spoilers if this thread becomes popular

I much prefer the manga to the anime. I've read up to Chapter 40, and loved each and every chapter. My favourite character is Barry the Chopper, as he has a much bigger role in the manga than in the anime. I also like many of the Homunculus a lot more in the manga than in the anime, especially Lust and Wrath.

I like nearly everything about it. The plot, the plot twists, the drawing style, the characters themselves. Everything about it oozes sheer brilliance. It still has me guessing, as to who Pride is (as he/she is the only one that hasn't been revealed out of the Homunculus) and if the ending will be anything like that of the anime, which I hope not.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. What does everyone else think of the FMA Manga?

Riaf
8th May 2005, 6:23 AM
I surely prefer it over the anime. Episode 9 and 26 for example, have little hilarty compared to the manga chapters. I'd say because of how humor is dislpayed, I like the manga so much. The anime really gives alot suspense and it sorta gets tiring.

That Scary Clefairy
10th May 2005, 5:37 PM
same here. I like the manga better. Why? one is they have such more hidlarious characters like Ling. and some of the characters that are in the anime are funnier in the manga like Barry the Chopper or even Ed Elrics! also the Homocules for sloth, wrath and pride are different to the anime.so much stuff! I just finish the lastest chapter 46.

Alchemist
10th May 2005, 9:44 PM
I guess I'll buy it today... my friend got it it looks pretty good.

Riaf
10th May 2005, 10:29 PM
same here. I like the manga better. Why? one is they have such more hidlarious characters like Ling. and some of the characters that are in the anime are funnier in the manga like Barry the Chopper or even Ed Elrics! also the Homocules for sloth, wrath and pride are different to the anime.so much stuff! I just finish the lastest chapter 46.

Where? PM me if you'll give it to me.

Alchemist
11th May 2005, 1:21 AM
Probably at a book store or comic book store most likely. That's where I bought mine.

Riaf
11th May 2005, 1:57 AM
He's up to 46. Unless he reads from Japan, I think that he's reads fanscaltions.

That Scary Clefairy
11th May 2005, 3:11 AM
He's up to 46. Unless he reads from Japan, I think that he's reads fanscaltions.
Yea i did read fanscanlations! lol. man you will be amaze what happens. ok i'll give you the link on pm.

Riaf
11th May 2005, 4:37 AM
Yeah, it's kickass! I don't feel like spoiling so I'll just say that Scar's face is drawn weird a few times.

IceBurner
11th May 2005, 10:58 AM
So the official manga is not yet out in its entirety? How many volumes are there in all? I've been watching the series and I must say I am hooked, and consequently also interested in reading the complete manga.

Riaf
11th May 2005, 1:27 PM
I think there's 11 or 18 volumes and three chapters that aren't in the manga yet.

Koneko
11th May 2005, 5:49 PM
When I first read the translated on the net a couple of months ago, I got really confused when they switched Wrath and Pride.

There's 11 right now. They're up to chapta 46 and 47 should be out in a week and a half or so.

I have the japanese ones of 1,2,3,7,8,and10.

Ed is so hot...

Chris
11th May 2005, 7:07 PM
Only the first volume of the manga is out in the US. Japan's currently at volume 11. The second volume comes out in the US in July.

Sasuke.
12th May 2005, 7:15 PM
Only the first volume of the manga is out in the US. Japan's currently at volume 11. The second volume comes out in the US in July.
Bleh and I only have that very first one :(
I've known about it and seen EE around the place making me want to read a scan even more >_< It just doesnt feel right to me, I prefer to buy them and have them in a book form. And if I'd read the scans I'd feel stupid spending money on them again, plus my japanese sucks pretty bad so I didn't want to buy them either

Alchemy rules :cool:

Invisionary Bloo
12th May 2005, 10:04 PM
That Scary Clefairy - Could you please link the place or PM me the link where you've read up to Chap 46, as the site I read off of still only has up to Chap 40. I really want to know what happens.

TSL
12th May 2005, 10:57 PM
I just got the manga today, I like it a lot.
Though I'm not sure what I like better: the anime or manga ^_^;

Megchan
12th May 2005, 11:16 PM
*coughClickHere (http://groups.msn.com/FullMetalAlchemist/temp.msnw)cough*

Encyclopika
13th May 2005, 1:06 AM
I started reading Fullmetal Alchemist in the book store because I just couldn't wait anymore! XP It's so good! I love the things Ed says about their religion and stuff, it was so cool. The only thing I wish they would have done was start off by telling what happened to them instead of starting in the middle of the journey. I've only seen bits and pieces of the anime, so I'm sticking to the manga. It's good all around.

Chris
13th May 2005, 3:15 AM
I don't see why so many people complain about where both the manga and anime start. Honestly, if they started off the story from when they were kids, it wouldn't catch your interest like the events in Liore did. o_O

Riaf
13th May 2005, 4:41 AM
But I started in episode 3. XD But after reading the manga, it was pretty cool with the Philospher's Stone and whatnot.

Invisionary Bloo
13th May 2005, 9:07 AM
I preferred the FMA way of opening to be honest, as it drew readers/watchers in with an explosive opening, then explained it all later. Like Edward Elric said, if it had started with episode 3 of the anime as the frst one of the manga, then it certainly wouldn't have attracted my attention. I would probably have put it down to be quite honest if I was in Travelling Man or Forbidden Planet or something.

Koneko
14th May 2005, 2:49 AM
I just read translated chapter 47.

OMG IT WAS SO CUTE!!!

Bishoujo Otaku
15th May 2005, 11:12 PM
i want to get the first volume. but i just rather read it online than buying it.

HK
21st May 2005, 10:50 PM
Bleh and I only have that very first one
I've known about it and seen EE around the place making me want to read a scan even more >_< It just doesnt feel right to me, I prefer to buy them and have them in a book form. And if I'd read the scans I'd feel stupid spending money on them again, plus my japanese sucks pretty bad so I didn't want to buy them either

Same here. While I would like to read it online and catch up where Japan is, I don't want to waste money with buying the GN. I bought the first volume from Viz last week. Meh, I'll probably check it out online eventually; knowing me, I will just give up and read it then. XP But then of course the same thing goes with a lot of manga I have read online; I just don't get it on GN form here (definitely ones like Naruto which... well, that is pretty self-explanatory).

Personally I like the way that it opens up. To get straight to the plot right away can be good or bad, but if you follow it up with explanations of how things got to the way that they are, that it good too. FMA does a great job of that.

Sakuranbo
31st May 2005, 11:02 PM
I just bought the first volume on Saturday at Waldenbooks, and am saving it for a long trip so that I have something to read. I've only been watching the anime, and I can't wait to read it.^^

Chris
31st May 2005, 11:41 PM
i want to get the first volume. but i just rather read it online than buying it.
Way to be a pirate and not show your support. This is why the Pokémon manga is no longer in the US. People chose to not to show support. The only way these companies are gonna know you like the manga is if you pay for the products. You wanna convince them? You're gonna have to turn over some green in exchange for black and white.

I seriously cannot see how people find pride in pirating stuff that's already available to the public. :| Quit being such cheapskates and pay the $9.95. You're getting ALOT of pages per book and you're saving space on your HD. Not to mention, quite alot of the later scanlations are just awful (I've never seen the term "fella" used so many times with so many people saying it in reference to others..).

Manjoume
31st May 2005, 11:42 PM
i just got the first one on monday. it was pretty good. i can't wait for the second one. scar comes. :D

BlackCat
9th June 2005, 12:02 AM
In every single form I go to, I always look for the FMA fans. I found them! XD I love it. I first saw it when someone posted this wallpaper of it and asked the other people to make an av out of it. I thought it was interesting. Then, from a website, I found out about scanlations. Then I found a site with scanlations of Black Cat (Shonen Jump talked about it once I wanted to read it) and it also had FMA. I started reading it and got hooked. XD When the anime came to the US, I was happy because my mom could see it. (she watches anime with me) She likes it, but I don't I hate the anime. They totally strayed from the storry. *sigh* Oh well.

And....
*bows at Hinata Hyuuga's feet* THANK YOU!!!!! I don't like the job Viz did translating the manga, and I didn't want to wait 1-2 years for the US to catch up, but now I don't. XD (I'm going to buy the manga anyways, though)

Juputoru
9th June 2005, 12:48 AM
I read the scanalations, but bought the offical manga too. Does that make me a pirate or not?

Anyway, I like the manga. I'm not sure how to compare it and the anime, since the two are so...different. I'd have to say that I like the manga more, though.

Chris
9th June 2005, 7:31 AM
*bows at Hinata Hyuuga's feet* THANK YOU!!!!! I don't like the job Viz did translating the manga, and I didn't want to wait 1-2 years for the US to catch up, but now I don't. XD (I'm going to buy the manga anyways, though)
Uh..Viz translated the manga PERFECTLY WELL. Had they not done so, don't you think I would've pitched a fit over it? The manga's translated just fine. It's not butchered or anything. Only ONE mistake was made and it had no exact influence whatsoever in the entire book.

If you want a BAD translation, go look at Naruto.

Considering the fact that I compared the scanlation and actual official translation, the one Viz brings out is 100% faithful to the original and is in no way changed. :| If they had many any changes, I'd have said so a while back when I did my Volume 1 comparison.

I read the scanalations, but bought the offical manga too. Does that make me a pirate or not?
Going out and buying it afterwards is fine. :P Just can't tolerate people who feel they should be cheap asses and only get the free, online version when the thing's licensed and available to purchase. Sorta like those who download ROMs because they don't want to buy the game rather than to try it out and then buy the actual game.

Manjoume
9th June 2005, 8:56 AM
Isn't the only mistake is when Ed said he was Agonistic? When he is Athenist?

Chris
9th June 2005, 9:32 AM
Yes. That's the mistake I was refering to.

HK
9th June 2005, 9:07 PM
I don't like the job Viz did translating the manga,

Uhh... ditto to what Edward Elric mentioned. Viz did a really great job on translating it, and the only *technical* mistake was that Ed stated that he was Agnostic. In the original, when he was asked that same question, he simply replied that religion just doesn't interest him, and from his talk with Rose afterwards, it pretty much showed that he had Atheistic views... at least that is from what I gathered. But that is really irrelevent to the story.

I would also like to note, compared to the original, I like Viz's initial opening better. When they are showing Ed after the accident with him and Al, and they have the words in the blanks, they made the message much more clearer yet more insightful, IMO.

Chris
9th June 2005, 10:49 PM
Uh..as far as I can see, the openings are exactly the same. o_o;

Riaf
10th June 2005, 1:58 AM
HK's talking about them fonts in the beginning. How Viz puts captials and the fanscan has those weird font thing.

Chris
10th June 2005, 2:31 AM
Uh..but Viz pretty much makes all of the text in all of their manga capitalized. o_O; What wierd font thing are you talking about..?

HK
10th June 2005, 4:19 AM
HK's talking about them fonts in the beginning. How Viz puts captials and the fanscan has those weird font thing.

Uhh... not quite, Riaf. Let me just say this before it gets confusing:

While I'm too lazy to exactly type out what the translations and scanlations versions were, Viz's edition of it gave a more prominent and clear message when they had talked about how in order to gain something, you must lose something beforehand, or something like that. For those who have the Fullmetal Alchemist Volume One GN from Viz, compare it to the scanlation that Hinata Hyuuga gave. If no one posts here until tomorrow, then I'll give a more detail explanation about it then.

If nothing else and everybody thinks that I'm an idiot (and they're probably right...), I'll just say that I really like Viz's translation of the manga. They did a great job on it. So nyah. :P

darky256
10th June 2005, 4:26 AM
I Have A Question:if I Have A Shining Ditto And I Want To Make A Cyndaquil Egg, The Cyndaquil Baby Will Be Shiny?

Manjoume
10th June 2005, 4:42 AM
I Have A Question:if I Have A Shining Ditto And I Want To Make A Cyndaquil Egg, The Cyndaquil Baby Will Be Shiny?

Wrong thread dude. So the second volume comes out in July. I wonder what day?

Chris
10th June 2005, 4:50 AM
Uhh... not quite, Riaf. Let me just say this before it gets confusing:

While I'm too lazy to exactly type out what the translations and scanlations versions were, Viz's edition of it gave a more prominent and clear message when they had talked about how in order to gain something, you must lose something beforehand, or something like that. For those who have the Fullmetal Alchemist Volume One GN from Viz, compare it to the scanlation that Hinata Hyuuga gave. If no one posts here until tomorrow, then I'll give a more detail explanation about it then.

If nothing else and everybody thinks that I'm an idiot (and they're probably right...), I'll just say that I really like Viz's translation of the manga. They did a great job on it. So nyah. :P
Depends on the translators. Toriyama's World pretty much had the same message in their scanlation. o_o Just differently worded.

That Scary Clefairy
10th June 2005, 4:57 AM
so all in all, the Viz's adaption is actually similar to the japanese and is good. Yay!. oh yea Ed, not to get off topic but you said the Naruto manga by Viz is horrible. May i ask why? i haven't read the scans before so a can't make a comparison. the only thing i can tell is the translated the techniques but in the later chapters by viz, someone mention that they are reverting baut to the orignal name.

Chris
10th June 2005, 5:59 AM
Just the all around translation of it seems very..played down. Not just the technique names but the attitudes and words were changed up abit. Such as Neiji comparing Rock Lee to Moe of the Three Stooges when against the Sound ground. Or how Gaara's "I will kill you" line being changed to a really dorky sounding "You're dead meat."

HK
10th June 2005, 8:55 PM
Depends on the translators. Toriyama's World pretty much had the same message in their scanlation. o_o Just differently worded.

Fair enough; then I like Viz's wording in the opening better. Damn, that was confusing. :P

TSC, if you are going to read Naruto, then I really suggest to read scanlations of it to get the true feeling of it. Viz is now infamous for their translations of Naruto, and very much so for the wrong reasons. They basically tend to change dialogue, make the character OOC, change the names of not just jutsus, but of ninja rankings as well (right now they are switching backa and forth between Chuunin and Journeyman Ninja -.-), etc.

On the topic itself though, Viz's translation of Fullmetal Alchemist is really good, and to be honest, I think you would be foolish to complain about it.

Invisionary Bloo
21st June 2005, 6:01 PM
According to amazon.co.uk, FMA Vol 2 is out on 1st July: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169232/qid=1119369668/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/026-3725125-3267623 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169232/qid=1119369668/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/026-3725125-3267623)and Vol 3 is out on 6th September: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169259/qid=1119369763/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_3_2/026-3725125-3267623
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169232/qid=1119369668/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/026-3725125-3267623)

Megchan
21st June 2005, 6:47 PM
According to amazon.co.uk, FMA Vol 2 is out on 1st July: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169232/qid=1119369668/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/026-3725125-3267623 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169232/qid=1119369668/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/026-3725125-3267623)and Vol 3 is out on 6th September: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169259/qid=1119369763/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_3_2/026-3725125-3267623
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591169232/qid=1119369668/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/026-3725125-3267623)
That's weird 'cause on Viz's site they say the second volume comes out on July 5.

Invisionary Bloo
21st June 2005, 6:51 PM
Well, amazon.co.uk (and .com for that matter) aren't perfect. I'm just using them as guidelines until concrete details are revealed.

That Scary Clefairy
21st June 2005, 7:32 PM
That's weird 'cause on Viz's site they say the second volume comes out on July 5.

If i were you, i wouldn't trust Viz release schedule on their site cause it always end up being wrong. and volume 4 will come out in Novenber.

DaRk_NiNjA
1st July 2005, 11:19 AM
I saw a mistake on my 1º Ep is when he loses his leg he says: "It took my arm"... Even if they misunderstood his sentence in japanese, they could see he lost his leg on that part...

Anyway FMA is awsome I'm on chapter 33 and I'm getting more.

I have to download it because in my country we don't have FMA manga.... >.>

HK
3rd July 2005, 8:10 PM
Hmm... ya know, I've been figuring something out. If Viz is going to continue to release the volumes bi-monthly, then they will be completely caught up with the manga in... Uhh, my mind can't figure it out at the moment, but it would be within two years... I think. o.0

Chris
3rd July 2005, 8:21 PM
I saw a mistake on my 1º Ep is when he loses his leg he says: "It took my arm"... Even if they misunderstood his sentence in japanese, they could see he lost his leg on that part...
Uh..you're looking at a fansub. Fansubs tend to not be too accurate.

Koneko
3rd July 2005, 9:53 PM
Eh.

I prefer reading the translated ones off the net. They seem a lot more accurate.

Chapter 49 will be out in a week and a half.

Koneko
3rd July 2005, 9:53 PM
Eh.

I prefer reading the translated ones off the net. They seem a lot more accurate.

Skiks
4th July 2005, 8:55 PM
Bah I read them online as well because I hate waiting but of course I buy VIZs translation to support FMA manga here.

Chris
4th July 2005, 8:58 PM
Eh.

lmao Yeah right. Calling EVERYONE a "fella" and using other British terms by one translating group that took over before the manga was licensed is NOT accurate. I've already confirmed that VIZ's releases are MORE accurate.

WheelerTheViper
6th July 2005, 5:54 AM
Well, Vol.2 is out now, and I read it in about an hour ^_^. Once again, it was great, but it kinda was spoiled because I had over-watched the anime. I'm that obsessed.

I noticed two mistakes, on page 15, Shou is talking to Ed, and there is a smaller, empty speech bubble next to him. And then, when Kiri calls comes to give Mr.Marcho flowers, she calls him by his real name, even though no one in that village knew him by that name. I just thought I would point that out.

Chris
6th July 2005, 6:17 AM
I have yet to pick up Vol. 2 because Florida sucks and we didn't get the first one until a few weeks after it's release, so I'll probably have to wait until a week or so for it to be here. When I get my hands on it, I'll give my comparison.

That Scary Clefairy
6th July 2005, 7:37 AM
Florida suck? i can get all the rare Star wars figures there! Especailly in West Palm Beach. where in Florida do you live? maybe that why the manga comes out slower than usual.

Invisionary Bloo
6th July 2005, 6:04 PM
LMAO at the British Fansubbing group. I don't call everyone a fella or anything... they must have been from London or something. I can forgive any misinterpretations in fansubs, as I'm not to bothered whether the people say one word wrong or something. It's just with major plot holes/errors that I gripe with fansubbers about.

Riaf
10th July 2005, 12:46 AM
The second volume suddenly has Al call Ed "Edward" instead of Brother in the sixth chapter. Not sure if it's a mistake but it was weird to see.

ShadowDino
11th July 2005, 2:58 AM
Latest chapter's out.

Gluttony is a freak.

Chris
11th July 2005, 7:16 AM
Got my second volume comparison up. Quite abit more to report on than the first book. Namely the following:

-Missing text on page 15.
-Al calling Ed by his name rather than "brother" or "big brother."
-Spelling Ishbal as Ishvar, despite the official spelling being Ishbal.
-Addition of the word "USELESS" over Roy on page 111.
-Kiri calling Dr. Marcoh by his actual name.

BlackCat
11th July 2005, 8:07 AM
You know what? At 5:30 in the morning, everything is better.

I re-read the first volume and...........it was better the second time 'round. The only thing that I can't live with it is what they did to Edward's rants. -_- Otherswise, it was a good job translating it. It was almost the same thing as the scanlations.

And am I the only one that doesn't think Alphonse calling Edward by his full name is an error? O.o

Chris
11th July 2005, 8:24 AM
It IS because the original had him saying "nii-san" which is "brother" or "big brother," thus making it not properly translaterd.

And the rants not being faithfully translated? o_O; They're pretty much WAY more dead on than FUNimation's.

WheelerTheViper
17th July 2005, 6:53 AM
Noticed another error in Vol.2, in the bonis (or extra, whatever they call it) section, there is a comic where Edward tells his 'total 'height, which includes his elevator shoes and hair. Well, the next panel shows the difference between his total height and his actuall height, it reverses them (His normal body height is titled Total Height and his height with his shoes and 'antenna' is his body height). Pretty weird.

Chris
19th July 2005, 9:36 AM
The change actually works both ways. Total height can be seen as looking at Ed's actual total height while everything else is his entire body height (shoes and antenna included.) But I guess it can be considered as an error.

Mimori Kiryu
21st July 2005, 4:32 PM
Okay....this may have already been mentioned, but in the second book....why does it say Ishvarlans instead of Ishbalans? @_@

Chris
21st July 2005, 6:00 PM
Ishvar is a rather rough translation of Ishbal, so it kinda works. But, the official translation should've been Ishbal.

Correction: The manga and anime spell the place differently. The manga (the first piece of work) translates it as Ishval. The anime then called it Ishbal.

Riaf
21st July 2005, 8:23 PM
I like Ishvar better than Ishbal. I prefer "v"s and "r"'s. Also, it's closer to it's name origin.

Mimori Kiryu
21st July 2005, 8:34 PM
I don't really prefer either one, I just thought it sounded weird. Thanks, Ed for your help. ^_^

HK
23rd July 2005, 7:44 PM
Ed, what exactly was the missing text on page fifteen? I'm having trouble finding what you meant by that.

Chris
24th July 2005, 1:40 AM
It was just basically a "Well then.." and then continues the next sentence on the next page.

Manjoume
24th July 2005, 2:00 AM
Like this?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/zakjj/Fmamagna.jpg

Sorry I suck at scanaltations. It's the two lines right next to his shoulder right?

Chris
24th July 2005, 7:29 AM
No. That empty word bubble on the lower left corner of that pannel should have it. :P

Manjoume
24th July 2005, 7:33 AM
I'm blind. I looked and I didn't see it. Like I said, I'm blind.

Sasuke.
24th July 2005, 11:53 AM
The change actually works both ways. Total height can be seen as looking at Ed's actual total height while everything else is his entire body height (shoes and antenna included.) But I guess it can be considered as an error.
Nah but I think the point was Ed was exaggerating his height, but in the diagram they had it the wrong way round. Minor error anyway ..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Uchiha88/wierd.jpg
Hmm teh wierdness, must admit I never noticed that >>; What is it that's missing exactly?

Manjoume
24th July 2005, 5:24 PM
Sasuke-san it was suppost to say "Well then"

HK
8th August 2005, 1:32 AM
Damn, I'm suprised that no one has replied here in a while. I would think that this thread would be more active, considering that Megchan posted a damn link to it. o.0 Regardless, I just wanted to ask something here since I finished reading up to chapter forty-nine about a week ago:

For those who are pretty much up-to-date with the manga, I have something to ask you: Does anyone else here think that it is glaringly obvious that the "Father" who created the Homonculus is Hohemheim, who is Ed and Al's father?

Hiro has done a great job of creating suspense throughout the manga. I think that chapters thirty-five through forty was when the series just got plainly good. However, ever since Hohemheim came back to Resembool, and just by comparing the two, I would think that it would be blantly obvious to a little kid that he is "Father". Hell, his warning to Pinako before he left should hint that. o.0

Meh, I can't wait until August twelth comes.

Chris
8th August 2005, 4:40 AM
Personally, I'm still wondering about that. o_o I'm more concerned about who the hell Pride is, though. Anywho, I wonder about it because Hohenheim acts completely carefree and relaxed, almost as if he were emotionless yet regretting what he had done. Not to mention, the person who killed Greed may somewhat look identical, but his personality seemed completely opposite of what Hohenheim is like. o_o;

HK
8th August 2005, 5:09 AM
Well, EE, I wouldn't mind seeing Sloth getting introduced other than leaving a shadow of his back in some cave or whatever it was. Since up until now, Pride and Sloth haven't really been looked into much, other than chapter forty-nine with Pride when he was talking to Wrath.[SPOIL]

Well, pretty much all the clues point to that, especially when [SPOIL]Hohemheim was shot repeatedly in that wagon, and yet the bullets didn't affect him much like the other Homunculus. That is why there are so many theories that he is really Pride, but the people theorizing that are forgetting the fact that Homunculus can't reproduce, so the only logical thing that I can think of is that he is the "Father" of them.

As for when Greed was killed, I actually didn't really get much out of his personality other than he can't stand failure. Maybe Hohemheim has a split-personality or something? >_>

On a slightly related note, there is a site that actually has explanations of how the seven sins were all killed, and since the Homonculus are based off them, it would make sense. Also, the two that have died so far (Greed and Lust) actually have deaths that are pretty much exactly like the ones described. o.0

I'll try and see if I can find the site again.

Edit: Damn, spoiler tags are crazy in this post.

Edit #2: I love google: Only click here if you have read up to chapter forty-nine! (http://deadlysins.com/sins/history.html)

Edit #3: BTW, EE, I'm ignorant. What did ya mean by "This belongs in LIVEJOURNAL" in the Dante's Inferno Test thread?

Riaf
11th August 2005, 9:10 PM
What does it mean by broken on the wheel?

HK
11th August 2005, 9:29 PM
To be honest, that is about the only one that I can't really figure out. Then of course, it refers the "the" wheel, so obviously it an important... wheel.

I'm really interested in Wrath's death if Arakawa decides to follow that trend. That would be f*cking awesome.

Only one more day before chapter fifty comes out in Japan. If we're lucky, we'll get a translation on it before the end of the weekend.

Riaf
11th August 2005, 10:46 PM
What's "the" wheel?

HK
11th August 2005, 10:53 PM
If I knew that I wouldn't refer to it as "the" wheel. o.0

Chris
11th August 2005, 11:02 PM
Here's a better question. What the hell are you talking about when you mentioned this "wheel" business? >_>;

Skiks
11th August 2005, 11:39 PM
The wheel as in how pride might die or punished rather:

Pride broken on the wheel
Envy put in freezing water
Anger dismembered alive
Sloth thrown in snake pits
Greed put in cauldrons of boiling oil
Gluttony forced to eat rats, toads, and snakes
Lust smothered in fire and brimstone

I still don't get what wheel though o.O

Riaf
11th August 2005, 11:40 PM
On the link HK gave, Pride is supposedly going to die by being "broken on the wheel".

HK
11th August 2005, 11:45 PM
Spoilers, Riaf. Spoilers. o.0

Anyway, the two deaths of the Homonculus so far have been pretty much dead on, and it also makes me wonder how Gluttony's death is going to work out considering he pretty much eats every damn thing he sees. o.0

... We need to find out wtf is meant by "the wheel".

Skiks
11th August 2005, 11:54 PM
yes because it makes no sense at all o.o

Chris
12th August 2005, 12:51 AM
Anger dismembered alive
*cough* Well that certainly did happen in the anime. >_>;

Manjoume
12th August 2005, 2:12 AM
So.... Wrath is called Anger in the magna?

Chris
12th August 2005, 2:25 AM
So.... Wrath is called Anger in the magna?
Nah. Anger is another name for the sin Wrath. Like Avarice is to Greed.

Manjoume
12th August 2005, 2:32 AM
Oh... I guess that makes sense.

ShadowDino
12th August 2005, 4:04 AM
Alright, from what I heard in this chapter...

-Envy doesn't intend to fight against Ed, Al, and Ling but he snaps and goes nuts against them, well, Ling anyways.
-Roy is wondering whether or not he can trust his orders from here on out. It appears he'll be in trouble soon...
-Gluttony seems to "swallow" Ed. The chapter ends with Ed wondering where he is

That Scary Clefairy
12th August 2005, 4:42 AM
Judging from what Shadowdino said, I'm guessing GluttonyI'm guessing Gluttony is like The gate in the anime. I mean he has that freaky looking eye like the gate does. but I could be wrong.

Chris
12th August 2005, 11:03 AM
Holy hell..just..holy hell. ._.; *read the 50th chapter*

Friggen Arakawa leaves at worse cliffhangers than the anime did. We have to wait more than a week to see what happens next.

It appears..that the heads of the State Military are in on the fact that Fuhrer King Bradley is indeed a Homunculous. And if that's so..Roy's in a deep crap. >_o;

HK
13th August 2005, 12:42 AM
Man, read the raw a little while ago and I checked out a translation... Wow...

Ed, Ling, and the upper-half of Envy's body gets sucked inside Gluttony. That was a rather weird scene with half of Envy's body just stuck there in the real world. o.0 I'm wondering exactly how the hell that they are supposed to get out. Regardless if Envy is going to be able to regenerate in the real world (although the Philosipher's Stone located in the chest of the Homunculus), pretty much everybody wants Ed out of Gluttony's body considering he is going to be a sacrifice.

Ran Fan is just now dealing with the fact that she isn't going to be able to help out Ling. Got to feel sorry for her. We may or may not see her again for a while as well once she has the auto-mail surgery.

Man, Roy is already in some deep-sh*t. Bradley has definitely discovered that Roy knows about him being a Homunculus, and I can't really tell if the rest of them are of full knowledge about it, but I wouldn't doubt it. Roy is pretty much screwed after all.

Damn cliffhangers.

Riaf
13th August 2005, 6:41 PM
So, it's like the anime. Envy's upper body is stuck in the real world? (Hasn't read the chapter cuz he's on vacation) Weird.

Anyways, the Stone isn't located in the chest of the Homunculus. It was for Lust but that's because her Ouborus Tatoo is located there. Envy's is on his thigh, which makes me wonder whether he can regenerate himself. Can Homonculi retrive their lost body parts by without needing the actual body part?

HK
13th August 2005, 6:50 PM
Naw, Riaf. Envy's lower-body (waist down) is still in the real world. His upper-body went into Gluttony's stomach with Ed and Ling. And thanks for correcting my about the location of the Philosipher's Stone. Although, it makes me wonder, Furher Bradley's stone would be in his eye, correct? o.0

We'll have to wait until next month to see if Homunculi can regenerate themselves if they are "seperated" in a sense, unless someone else already has an answer.

Firedance k'Treva
15th August 2005, 7:13 AM
Hela. One fast note: readmanga.com also has translated scans of FMA on bigger pages, but they are only at chapter 40.
Ed is so hilarious in both manga and anime when anybody calls him short! I love it!
i find all the character quirks hilarious, especially Roy when Hawkeye calls him useless!

BlackCat
15th August 2005, 7:34 AM
I know. I love his short-rants. XD

And I envy all of the people that can read Kanji......I need to know what happens! I was hoping it would be translated today so I'd get to have a last-day-of-summer-vacation treat, but it's not. So I must do what I've done for a month and wait. XD And not read what's in the spoiler tags.....or look at the raw.....*hits self in head*

Chris
15th August 2005, 7:35 AM
Okay, stop saying the inside of Gluttony is the real world. THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED. The other side of the gate having the real world is so far for the ANIME ONLY. :\ All we know is that Gluttony swallowed Ed, Ling and Envy's upperhalf. We all know Envy's just going to regenerate himself. Greed had his head knocked off clean and he still regenerated.

And Dragon Alchemist, we already knew that. Some of us are already at Chapter 50. :P

HK
15th August 2005, 7:42 AM
Actually, Ed...

I was referring that Gluttony's stomach was the real world. I was talking about how the lower-body of Envy along with Alphonse was still in the real world - the FMA world. I wasn't talking about our world at all like how it is with the anime. Lost in the communication there, I guess. :P

Meh, since I do agree with you that Envy will regenerate himself, I'm going to guess that he and Al are actually going to try and get Ed and Ling (well, only Al wants him out :p) out of Gluttony, or whatever.

I'm really looking forward to how Roy gets around the Homunulus business with Furher Bradley. He is in some deep sh*t right now.

BlackCat
16th August 2005, 5:20 AM
I think I can sum up chapter 50 in three words:

OH MY GOD!!!!

JUST when I start to like Roy (you can thank my mom for that one), he gets in such deep trouble. How the heck is he going to get out of that alive? I can't think of a single person that can help he out of that. And I feel so sorry for poor Alphonse. ;_; And if Edward is still alive, what about Ling? And why is Gluttony's stomach full of blood? Wouldn't it be full of acid? Man, too many questions! X.x *head implodes*

Riaf
1st September 2005, 7:33 PM
I forget. How big is Kimbly's role in the manga so far? I only remember seeing him in the prison and and in Scar's dream.

Chris
1st September 2005, 8:27 PM
Not big at all seeing as he isn't seen much, or even at all. o_o The only time we really see him is when he gave Scar his mark.

That Scary Clefairy
1st September 2005, 11:57 PM
Not big at all seeing as he isn't seen much, or even at all. o_o The only time we really see him is when he gave Scar his mark.

We saw him in his cell also. Not that important but still. I think he more important in the comic novel like those False Elric brothers.

I'm guess in the manga he will play an important role later on. Scar's past and story isn't complete yet in the manga. FMA is still going in the manga and shows no sign of near ending. In fact it seems like it at it climax.

Riaf
2nd September 2005, 2:08 AM
TSC dude, Kimbly's got a bigger role in the anime so far.

That Scary Clefairy
2nd September 2005, 5:47 AM
TSC dude, Kimbly's got a bigger role in the anime so far.

I know he has a bigger role in the anime, but this is the manga we're talking about, and things happen differently in the manga than the anime.

Manjoume
20th September 2005, 5:47 AM
*bumps*

Has anyone read 51 yet? ^^

Envy: Holyfu*kingBBQ!
We find out Gluttony was a fake gate created by "Father"
We see one of Envy's kickass forms. 8D

Still waiting to get volume 3. I haven't got it yet, normally I would have. =(

That Scary Clefairy
20th September 2005, 6:24 PM
*bumps*

Has anyone read 51 yet? ^^

Envy: Holyfu*kingBBQ!
We find out Gluttony was a fake gate created by "Father"
We see one of Envy's kickass forms. 8D

Still waiting to get volume 3. I haven't got it yet, normally I would have. =(

yea we did and it amazing. I like envy better in the manganow than the anime.

Fullmetal_Alchemist
10th October 2005, 2:26 PM
Anyone seen Chapter 52 already? I can't wait to see the translated version since I want to know what all those weird skulls were saying to Ed. Not to mention the part between Wrath and Roy.

That Scary Clefairy
10th October 2005, 6:54 PM
Anyone seen Chapter 52 already? I can't wait to see the translated version since I want to know what all those weird skulls were saying to Ed. Not to mention the part between Wrath and Roy.

Yea I did. It was amazing. The deformed humans and creatures on Envy really remind me of the demons and spirits in Berserk, which I love.

Riaf
10th October 2005, 7:30 PM
Whoa, wtf was that? I wonder who Ed was talking too...

Fullmetal_Alchemist
11th October 2005, 9:54 AM
Now that I've seen the translated version, all I can say is - Hawkeye is the Furher's secretary!?!?! It's a shame to see that Mustang's group is being split up like that, though the part with Ed telling Envy to let him out was pretty funny

Riaf
12th October 2005, 11:04 PM
Bradley is acting like such an ***. Splitting up the team like that. It was weird to see him and Roy talk to each other with such hate without them seeming to fight.

Chris
18th October 2005, 9:03 AM
Man..dunno what to say after reading the latest chapter. I'm just at shock with what's going on in the military. And Bradley's line about being angered from Elysia's "noise" over Hughe's death was rather..awful in an evil manner.

HK
18th October 2005, 9:48 PM
Man..dunno what to say after reading the latest chapter. I'm just at shock with what's going on in the military. And Bradley's line about being angered from Elysia's "noise" over Hughe's death was rather..awful in an evil manner.

Well, at least for me I was truly impressed. I was starting to get a bit worried that Bradley would start to become more sympathetic towards the humans. Him actually referring to Elysia's pleas to not bury her father as being "noise" and angering him... Damn, Bradley is now my second favorite homunculus, right below Greed and just above Lust. Ironically enough they're both dead. :O

I'm glad that Arakawa decided to include Scar and Mei in possibly discovering who "Father" is, along with Al and Gluttony showing them the way. Looks like we are going to find out next chapter, although I think that it should be obvious that it is Hohenheim. ~.0 Should be around that time that Ed and Ling defeat Envy, I would guess.

Chris
21st October 2005, 8:02 AM
Note how when I said awful, I wasn't refering to how it was done. :P But as to how awful (as in bad, evil, etc.) the reaction was. Really kinda gave me the creeps at first.

Although I do wish Arakawa would at least dive a little deeper into Scar's backstory at least. :\ Right now he just seems to be playing tag-along while searching for Ed.

Zarbon_Spitwell
27th October 2005, 11:31 PM
If someone could maybe hook me up with some links to some scans I'd appreciate it. I might can help you out with something else. Eh. Just have to ask. I have yet to get to enjoy this manga series and have been wanting to check it out for some time.

Chris
1st November 2005, 9:33 AM
Here's where I gotta say that if you're going to get into the manga series now, just buy the tankouban (novels). No point in linking to scans of something that's available already in English. If you're just up to date with Japan, there's a link somewhere in this thread.

Zarbon_Spitwell
1st November 2005, 8:13 PM
i was more of wanting to sample it before i forked over money. and i wouldn't get the english version of the manga anyways. being fluent in japanese, of course, i'd opt for the original pressing. if no one wants to show me some scans so i can sample then i might just have to take that leap of faith or simply miss out. i don't want to pay money for something i might not like when i get.

sukkari to nakayoku suru V^.^x

Chris
1st November 2005, 8:54 PM
There's also the option of actually skimming through the books in a book store. :P Or actually reading it.

Ketsuban
1st November 2005, 9:08 PM
Or you could borrow it from the library, like I do (look I'm poor woe).

Chris
2nd November 2005, 6:13 AM
Or you could borrow it from the library, like I do (look I'm poor woe).
Not all libraries are cool like that. :P

Fullmetal_Alchemist
11th November 2005, 11:26 PM
Anyone else seen chapter 53 yet? Liek woah. There's so much stuff happening Ed finds Al's body in the Gate, Ed is reunited with Al outside of Gluttony and they meet 'Father' at last!!!!

I can't wait to see the translated version of this :D

*explodes*

That Scary Clefairy
12th November 2005, 12:30 AM
Anyone else seen chapter 53 yet? Liek woah. There's so much stuff happening Ed finds Al's body in the Gate, Ed is reunited with Al outside of Gluttony and they meet 'Father' at last!!!!

I can't wait to see the translated version of this :D

*explodes*

Yea, it was awesome. I love it. Can't wait for the translation.

Riaf
12th November 2005, 2:44 AM
I liked seeing Al. He looks kinda hot.

Skiks
12th November 2005, 4:48 AM
So it looks like each individual has there own set of truth doors. It also looks like humans are made into homuculuus when they are alive. Now that Ed knows where Al's body is I wonder how he will get Al's body back. Btw Hoenhiem Looks like jesus straight up althrought this chapter.

Chris
12th November 2005, 6:01 AM
For some reason, I have my doubts that that guy is Hohenheim. He acted nothing like this hooded guy while he was traveling. o_o; They never exactly said it was him, although Ed thinks he's Hohenheim in the final page of the chapter.

Token
12th November 2005, 7:37 PM
Thats ALphonse? I cant read Japanese so I thought it was Pride. I'm just going on the assumption that they just switched the names of Pride and Wrath though, i doubt it. Ya gotta admit thought, that does look like Wrath....

Skiks
12th November 2005, 8:02 PM
Thats ALphonse? I cant read Japanese so I thought it was Pride. I'm just going on the assumption that they just switched the names of Pride and Wrath though, i doubt it. Ya gotta admit thought, that does look like Wrath....
Remember that the anime and the manga aren't intwined with each other. Alphonse only has long hair because he hasn't cut it all these years. I thought everyone would notice it was Al when you look at his face.

That Scary Clefairy
12th November 2005, 9:43 PM
For some reason, I have my doubts that that guy is Hohenheim. He acted nothing like this hooded guy while he was traveling. o_o; They never exactly said it was him, although Ed thinks he's Hohenheim in the final page of the chapter.

I guess we'll have to find out on the next episode.

"FIND OUT ON THE NEXT EXCITING EPISODE OF FULLMETAL ALLLLLLCCHHHEEMMIST!!!!!

Don't you just love parodying DBZ whenever its convinent?

Chris
13th November 2005, 11:26 AM
Parodying DUB DBZ, seeing as how no such thing ever occurs in the original Japanese version. :P But yeah, the waiting's murder. Especially since it's only ONE chapter a month. *cries*

HK
13th November 2005, 5:46 PM
Parodying DUB DBZ, seeing as how no such thing ever occurs in the original Japanese version. :P But yeah, the waiting's murder. Especially since it's only ONE chapter a month. *cries*

At least Fullmetal Alchemist gets around four pages a month. Berserk only has around twenty pages or so for each release, and Kentaro Miura usually has long waits between each chapter (the latest came out on on November 11th, the next one comes out on December 22nd o__0). I mean, the end result is great and he does have a large workload (I'll go into specifics if anyone is curious), but the wait stills sucks. T_T

Anyway, looks like this current arc of is about to end soon, and about damn-well time because we haven't had a "fall out" chapter in a helluva long time. It was interesting to see finally see Al's real body after all this time, although I would think that his hair would be a bit longer than that for not having it cut for over four years o__0. Meh, regardless, it was definitely interesting to finally see Ed's theory come true.

Also... for Father... damn, it's like a crazed version of Hohenheim of somethin'. There is some resemblance, although the expression is far from the one that we saw on Hohenheim back in Resembool (he did have some dark features occasionly, but nothing like that). In fact, he reminds me more of King Bradley with the face more than anything else...

Speakin of the Furher, it was intersesting to see that he was made a Homunculus during his early years. Also, me thinks that one of the two doctors that were around him after the surgery (if you could call it that) is Pride. Just a thought on that... And now I really want to see Pride and Sloth. >_>

Ah, Arakawa, you still continue on to suprise us (or amaze us) in every chapter. Keep it up.

BlackCat
15th November 2005, 6:19 AM
..........That chapter just broke my heart

Seeing Al's body made me so sad. But at least Edward now knows where to find it. And, how come no one's talking about Edward's broken arm? O.o He can't do all that much with broken bones.....hopefully they can set it with alchemy. Or something. >.< It was great seeing the two brothers reunite again. It was kinda funny actually, that would hurt. XD I am satisfied, I could wait over a month for the next chapter and not care! XD

Chris
15th November 2005, 7:59 AM
As far as I know, healing the body with alchemy is still in the field of human transmutation and is quite impossible unless used with say..the Philosopher's Stone or fakes.

Skiks
15th November 2005, 10:17 PM
As far as I know, healing the body with alchemy is still in the field of human transmutation and is quite impossible unless used with say..the Philosopher's Stone or fakes.
But didn't that Mei heal scar with alchemy?

Ketsuban
17th November 2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah, Xingians use alchemy-- well, rentanjutsu-- to heal, and they don't need stones or fake stones.

Chris
18th November 2005, 12:11 AM
That's the thing. Rentanjutsu is the art of making elixirs. It's specialization of healing. While Ed and most others use Renkinjutsu, which is basic Alchemy. Rentanjutsu specifically originates from China (which makes it easier to understand with Xing being based off of Chinese culture).

Ketsuban
19th November 2005, 2:01 AM
True, but if rentanjutsu can clear boulders from in front of a mine, renkinjutsu could probably heal wounds.

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
19th November 2005, 8:42 AM
I've read the first 2 chapter of the FMA manga online, and I like it. But there both the same as the manga. But I don't care, Roze is hotter in this than in the anime.

Chris
19th November 2005, 9:05 AM
True, but if rentanjutsu can clear boulders from in front of a mine, renkinjutsu could probably heal wounds.
The thing is that Renkinjutsu is basic alchemy. The reason human transmutation is forbidden from this is because it is not something that can be capably done or even effictively and it comes at a high price. That's why we never see Ed try to heal any of his injuries that he acquires with alchemy.

Rentanjutsu, however, is the method of making elixirs as well as healing. Because it's still a form of alchemy, people of Xing require the basic steps to at least acknowledge how to heal.

One who knows simple alchemy couldn't possibly heal themself without the knowledge of healing. Failed transmutations aren't good in the HAGAREN world.

Ketsuban
19th November 2005, 8:42 PM
But failed transmutations are fuuuuuuun.

Oh, hey, was I the only one who cried myself to sleep after reading chapter 53?

Riaf
21st November 2005, 12:29 AM
What's to cry about in chapter 53?

Ketsuban
21st November 2005, 11:42 PM
"I can't go with you. You're not my soul."

Chris
22nd November 2005, 12:03 AM
Told ya it was sad. :P

It's rather heartbreaking seeing Ed finally finding Al's body..but not being able to bring him back and once again being seperated from him. :\

Ketsuban
22nd November 2005, 12:20 AM
You're trying to make me cry. ;_;

That Scary Clefairy
22nd November 2005, 1:17 AM
ok I'm trying to find out what up with Xeroxs. EE mention it and the people on Envy died and once lived there. There some about that place that we yet to know.

Fullmetal_Alchemist
10th December 2005, 10:08 PM
New chapter... and yet once again an evil, EVIL ending!

Poor Ling. I love that pic of him giving the finger with the Ouroburos on his hand though.

Summer Wolf
10th December 2005, 10:45 PM
Poor Ling. I love that pic of him giving the finger with the Ouroburos on his hand though.

I don't really think he's giving the finger, but rather he's staring at his left hand... or showing off the tatoo... or both.

But wow, that was something unexpected and real evil! Real evil!

Fullmetal_Alchemist
10th December 2005, 11:33 PM
I don't really think he's giving the finger, but rather he's staring at his left hand... or showing off the tatoo... or both.

But wow, that was something unexpected and real evil! Real evil!

Lol I know, but my evil mind insisted that he was XD.

Arakawa is getting so evil with all these cliffhangers, I keep thinking that the next chapter can't possibly be as OMGWTF as the last, but I'm always proven wrong :P

That Scary Clefairy
11th December 2005, 2:15 AM
how can you guys see the chapter 54 when it not even out yet. Suppose to come on the 12 of Dec. If do have it myay I have the link.

Summer Wolf
11th December 2005, 3:32 AM
how can you guys see the chapter 54 when it not even out yet. Suppose to come on the 12 of Dec. If do have it myay I have the link.

I thought it was the 11th? And in Japan, the 11th of December has already passed.

http://rapidshare.de/files/8927818/fma54.zip.html
Torrent:http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/to...st%2054.torrent

I used the first link.

That Scary Clefairy
11th December 2005, 5:45 AM
Thanks. Well on the last page of FMA chapter 53, it said the 12th.

Chris
11th December 2005, 6:32 AM
It usually takes a for the scanlaters a day to translate and distribute the chapter. Chances are the Dec. 12 was either the scheduled date that they plan on releasing a scanlation, or the original scanner had gotten their copy of the magazine early either by subscription or just pure luck (similar to how magazine subscribers get their magazines before they're in newstands).

And I was right about "Hohenheim." Turns out it's NOT the actual one. :x

HK
12th December 2005, 10:23 PM
Hmm... thoughts on chapter fifty-four (forgive me, I haven't checked out the scanlation of it yet)...

DAMMIT! Well, Hohenheim being Father theory is down the drain... so is the less plausible Hohenheim being Pride (although, to be honest, I never really thought so)... So that remains that Father is a relative of some kind to Hohenheim. Makes me wonder though exactly what Hohenheim is doing right now...

Also... LING IS THE NEW GREED. o___0 We won't see a new Lust because her Philosipher's Stone was destroyed, but damn... I have to give more credit to Arakawa, she keeps on suprising us at every turn.

Fullmetal Alchemist is getting better and better.

Chris
13th December 2005, 6:07 AM
Yanno, it really wouldn't suprise me if Hohenheim was actually indeed Pride. We still don't have an explanation as to how he survived being shot multiple times and healed like he was a Homunculus or had been involved with the Philosopher's Stone.

Arakawa = Mistress of Suspense. X|

HK
13th December 2005, 10:08 PM
Yanno, it really wouldn't suprise me if Hohenheim was actually indeed Pride. We still don't have an explanation as to how he survived being shot multiple times and healed like he was a Homunculus or had been involved with the Philosopher's Stone.

Arakawa = Mistress of Suspense. X|

I have finally come across the scans, and there is a reason as to why Hohenheim cannot be Pride. Consider that Pride was talking to Wrath about Father in chapter forty-nine (or was it forty-eight?), and how he (Pride) has seen Father lately and referring to the fact that Wrath is becoming 'too human.' Now, Father states that he hasn't seen Hohenheim in a long time, so unless Arakawa wants to create a plot-hole after five chapters, then Hohenheim is not Pride.

But yeah, it does leave the question as to what Hohenheim exactly is, and what he is doing in the mountains right now. o___0

Meh, Arakawa hasn't really let us down yet, and with these new developments... it should be getting good.

Ketsuban
14th December 2005, 11:56 PM
Okay WTF wow.

How was it unexpected, though? After Bradley's backstory in 53, I totally called Ling becoming a homunculus.

HK
17th December 2005, 2:19 AM
Well, looking at the small hints that Arakawa dropped, particuarly after the chapter where Greed died and then having Ling show right up actually makes sense when you think about it. But let us be honest, how many of us don't pay attention to small details like that before the fact... aside from myself, at least. >_>

Chris
27th December 2005, 6:33 PM
Hm, seems like Viz knows not the meaning of consistancy.

In Volume 2, Scar is called an Ishvarlan. However, in Volume 4, they've changed it to Ishbalan.

Not too sure about the name for Reole. Dunno if they actually mentioned the name Liore in the manga until Volume 4 since I can't seem to find it in any of the previous books. Technically, Reole is correct since official art has shown it spelled as such. However, another correct spelling is Liore.

Same applies with Ishvar/Ishval/Ishbar/Ishbal.

That Scary Clefairy
27th December 2005, 10:53 PM
Hm, seems like Viz knows not the meaning of consistancy.

In Volume 2, Scar is called an Ishvarlan. However, in Volume 4, they've changed it to Ishbalan.

Not too sure about the name for Reole. Dunno if they actually mentioned the name Liore in the manga until Volume 4 since I can't seem to find it in any of the previous books. Technically, Reole is correct since official art has shown it spelled as such. However, another correct spelling is Liore.

Same applies with Ishvar/Ishval/Ishbar/Ishbal.

I believe it because the R and L are both transition to each other in japanese. Same for V and B. So that "inconsistant error" made in volume 4 was probably because they realize or thought Ishbalan was the more correct way of saying it, or that they think that what the japanese ment to it to be.

Ketsuban
28th December 2005, 8:41 PM
Or 'cause they just can't pay attention...

In Land of Sand (the novel), they translated Russel and Fletcher's last name as "Tringum" for most of the book and "Tringam" in the afterward. So I think they're just lazy,

Chris
28th December 2005, 8:46 PM
Not to mention, they said Ed has "silver" eyes, when the cover of the book in both languages show him with gold eyes. Possibly they goofed with the words "gin" and "kin."

Ketsuban
28th December 2005, 10:14 PM
Huh, I thought that was supposed to be Russel in the prologue pretending to be Ed. Didn't the girl say that Edward had saved her, and she was talking about the fake Ed?

(Edit): Now that I think of it I'm sure that's what it was supposed to be, because it was since Ed had gold eyes that Magwar knew Russel wasn't really him....

of course, then again it's VIZ, so...

That Scary Clefairy
28th December 2005, 10:25 PM
Don't forget, Viz hardly does novels(only other one is Battle Royale) so give them a break.

Ketsuban
28th December 2005, 10:27 PM
Ahaha, I'm not gonna give 'em a break when they can't stay consistent within ONE BOOK.

That Scary Clefairy
28th December 2005, 10:59 PM
Again, it is minor stuff that can be over looked. I myself can. Hell i probably wouldn't even notice.

Ketsuban
28th December 2005, 11:53 PM
What would you do if they suddenly started spelling "Elric" as "Elrik" or something, then?

That Scary Clefairy
30th December 2005, 1:00 AM
It wasn't like they made the mistake continuously. If they, for example, kept calling Elric "Erik" over and over then yea it is a problem, but if at one point said "Elrik" instead of Elric then it nothing to be prissy over.

But if it a problem to you, then that's your issue to deal with.

Ketsuban
30th December 2005, 3:01 AM
*sigh* When you're translating something, you're supposed to stay consistent with it. These are just two examples of inconsistency and therefore a poor job.

HK
1st January 2006, 3:58 AM
Although if they go back and do a re-print of the earlier volumes, then the inconsistancy will be gone. Still p*ssed that they can't get over the 'Fuerher President' oxymoron, though. :/

I'm actually suprised that they had as much cussing in volume four, though. And apparently Barry didn't say b*stard in volume three to Al, otherwise Ed wouldn't have gotten away with calling the milk carton a b*stard... All right, aside from that weird lookin last sentence, it could also be inconsistancy yet again on Viz's part.

Firedance k'Treva
3rd January 2006, 10:47 PM
Hey, just a random bit of info about the Colonel's name, "Mustang".
A mustang is what the military calls an officer who made it all the way up to like an officer of his rank from a basic enlisted.

undisputed_seraphim
10th January 2006, 6:38 AM
What's the latest volume number released in your countries? Right now Tong Li, a Taiwanese publisher has released volume 12. Anticipating 12 too by Chuang Yi.

Chris
10th January 2006, 6:42 AM
The US is currently at Volume 5.

Fullmetal_Alchemist
11th January 2006, 5:52 PM
Chapter 55's being released. It was just hilarious seeing Mei's reaction to finally meeting Edward, and the Ed/GreedLing fight was good, though a little short.And what exactly is Father, that Scar's 'sploding hand of doom didn't stop him?

undisputed_seraphim
15th January 2006, 5:03 AM
It is? Where? Is chapter 55 from volume 12? the spoilers sure make it seem so.

That Scary Clefairy
15th January 2006, 5:54 AM
It is? Where? Is chapter 55 from volume 12? the spoilers sure make it seem so.

o_O Volume 12 is already out in Japan. This chapter is for volume 15. Anyway if you want to read it then AIM me at Kenshin007X and I'll send it to ya.

Chapter itself was great. It getting interesting and interesting just like Berserk.

Luke Groundwalker
15th January 2006, 8:11 PM
I know this is a bit random, but does anyone know a good website for FMA manga downloads of scanlations? :<

That Scary Clefairy
15th January 2006, 11:51 PM
pm me and I'll show you, since it's illegal to ask downloads.

undisputed_seraphim
16th January 2006, 3:10 PM
o_O Volume 12 is already out in Japan. This chapter is for volume 15. Anyway if you want to read it then AIM me at Kenshin007X and I'll send it to ya.

Chapter itself was great. It getting interesting and interesting just like Berserk.

Whoa, this is over my head. Why is it that info from vol 15 is out even though 13, 14 isn't? I'm confused. Okay, granted 12 is in japan but not in S'pore, then...? Anyhoo, I'll PM you. I don't AIM (whatever thatis).

HK
16th January 2006, 4:10 PM
Whoa, this is over my head. Why is it that info from vol 15 is out even though 13, 14 isn't? I'm confused. Okay, granted 12 is in japan but not in S'pore, then...? Anyhoo, I'll PM you. I don't AIM (whatever thatis).

The material to use for volumes thirteen and fourteen are there, it is just that they haven't been put into it yet. This happens a fair bit of times when you have enough chapters for a volume but they are put out in one yet, particuarly when it comes to shounen manga.

undisputed_seraphim
17th January 2006, 4:08 PM
I see. *nods head* So, anyone can tell me on average how long it might take to translate manga from japanese into chinese?

Ketsuban
28th January 2006, 1:11 AM
Wow, yay chapter 55. Poor Mei. Ahaha. jkshfkjfdhs what's wrong with me that I'm wanting to pair Al and Mei?

HK
28th January 2006, 1:32 AM
Wow, yay chapter 55. Poor Mei. Ahaha. jkshfkjfdhs what's wrong with me that I'm wanting to pair Al and Mei?

Call it "Pandashipping" or somethin' like that, if you want to push it. ;D

Anyway, about the latest chapter... Well now, Scar nows about what Envy did to start the Ishvarlan massacre. I sense another fight coming up when it comes to which of the main characters might kill a Homunculus.

It's nice to see Greed back, if only in a different body and without any memory. Although, Ed's final words before the chapter ended makes me wonder exactly how it is possible to bring him back...

Well, looking towards the next chapter, we might find out why Scar was able to use alchemy, why Father is... well, really what he is, and also what is going to happen to Ed, Al, and Roy (considering that they are about to meet up with him and Wrath).

Should be interesting.

Skiks
11th February 2006, 3:35 PM
Well 56 raw is out and Ed and Al are back at military HQ. Mei seems to be hiding in Alphonse's armor. I think Ed wanted to resign from the military but something that Wrath said made him take it back. Also that freaked the crap out of me when I saw wrath's sword go through Al's Armor. I thought Mei died right there. She has better reflexes then I thought. We get to see Ed talk to Winry and she seems better then from the last time we saw her. Also Greed/Ling gives a bloody badage with a message to Ed which seemed to make Ran Fan cry. Then we had a conversation between Greed and Wrath. We also see Scar at the end of the chapter and it seems he is about to meet up with Marco and then the chapter end. :0

HK
12th February 2006, 2:20 AM
While I haven't checked out the scanlation for chapter fifty-six yet, this is what I gather from looking it over and reading three or posts at another forum...

Well, Gluttony is gone, or at least the current one. Shame, considering that his death is rather... well, 'okay, onto the next one...' sort of feeling. It at least shuts up those people who kept on claiming that Hawkeye would become the next Lust...

SPEAKING of which, shipping fans rejoice, I guess. Bradley/Wrath did in fact get Ed to stay in the military and allow him to continue to search for the Philosopher's Stone after he had told him and Al that they knew about Winry and her connection to him. Ah, comraderie, love, family, and duty... human desire is fun, no?

The two most important notes about this chapter, though, is about Ling/Greed himself. The message that he gives on the bloodied bandage is that 'I have the Philosopher's Stone,' or somethin' to that effect. I can't gather much from the talk between Ling and Bradley at the end of the chapter, but I would merit that they are talking about Greed himself being reborn in Ling's body and about humans overall. Then again, scanlations probably prove me wrong here...

That Scary Clefairy
12th February 2006, 6:08 AM
those of you who don't know, scanlations for that chapter is out. I read it and it was great. (too lazy to say deep review stuff -_-)

Chris
12th February 2006, 10:27 AM
Although the scanlation I checked out is rather questionable..what with blatant swearing of the S and F words. >_>; And the whole calling Ling and Ran Fan by the names Lin, Lan Fan, and Farman (when Arakawa confirmed the names are spelled as Ling, Ran Fan, and Falman).

Other than that, very good chapter. I'm VERY interested in seeing how the whole Ling/Greed development turns out since it appears Ling hasn't lost complete conciousness. Wrath scared the crap out of me when he stabbed Al's waist..until we find out the two inside of Al are fine and sitting in Al's legs, nearly soiling themselves from nearly being stabbed. XD

Oh yeah, and the girls are going NUTS (no pun intended) over Ed standing almost completely nude in front of them. >_>;

Razorback Kirby
20th February 2006, 3:26 AM
The only thread I've seen on the subject is the one entitled 'FMA out today' and since that's not a general discussion thread, I thought I'd create one.

ya, i thought id start one too, but apparantly that one counts

Token
9th March 2006, 11:58 PM
Crap, this is almost dead!

three-four days till 57 comes out right? Does anyone think Marchoch(Sp?) will become a Homunculus. Now that we know that a Human can be made into a Homunculus while living, it might be a possibility. Perhaps Lust? Yeah I know that the last lust was female, but it could be a boy. Probably a teen due to horomones and crap. Hey, I could be Lust! W007!

Chris
10th March 2006, 12:03 AM
>_> Covered almost your entire post in the Spoiler tag because it's revealing info not available in the English translation at this time.

Fullmetal_Alchemist
10th March 2006, 8:20 PM
Seen the latest chapter, and really, Arakawa is just too good at ending things with a OMGWTF moment What is the whole idea with the tatoo/array thing on Hawkeye's back? Also, I liked the moment when Scar went after Marcoh. Pretty cool.

HK
10th March 2006, 10:09 PM
Crap, this is almost dead!

three-four days till 57 comes out right? Does anyone think Marchoch(Sp?) will become a Homunculus. Now that we know that a Human can be made into a Homunculus while living, it might be a possibility. Perhaps Lust? Yeah I know that the last lust was female, but it could be a boy. Probably a teen due to horomones and crap. Hey, I could be Lust! W007!

Uh, no.

Lust's Philosopher Stone was destroyed. That means no more bringing her back. That means no new Lust as Hawkeye, Marcoh, Winry, Ran Fan, or whoever else that may pop into ignorant fans' heads (I swear I've seen too many to count now).

Back to the raw version of chapter fifty-seven: Can't say that much since this was mostly a dialogue chapter. Armstrong's expressions were rather bizarre for me since it is rare to see him serious. Ran Fan's and Mei's arguement was rather amusing just by pictures alone, though. Lastly, it appears that Hawkeye is more important than just being a fine sniper, unless the tatoo on her back is there just for show.

Damn it. I want a translation.

Token
11th March 2006, 4:59 AM
Thanks for calling me ignorant. ^_^ I really appreciate it. And besides, there IS more than one Philosophers Stone. And Father seems like enough of a dick to kill another city for a new one.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
20th March 2006, 12:04 AM
The translation is up for 57 Scars Of Ishbal.. *just apperes on this thread after catching up*
So apperantly theres a Conflict between Ran Fan's and Mei's clans. Marco realy wants Scar to kill him, but Scar wont untill he finds out more about Ishbal, and Riza's tatoo, witch looks suspitously like the Array Mustang Uses. I wonder if it has somthing to do with 'the one she has to protect' she tells Wirny about in VOL6.Father's also apperetly repairing Gluttony with in his own body. Armstorng's not leaving, he regrets what he did in Ishbal, so he'll stay to fight aganst Wrath. Ran also wants to hurry up and get Auto-mail. She says she'll recover faster than Ed, and she still is having a hard time acceping Ling's transformation into Greed. Al also found a ppicture of Knox's family, but Knox doesnt realy care. It was realy short. But I want to know what Riza's Tatoo is allabout. When do the next chapters normaly come out?

skiboydoggy
20th March 2006, 9:19 AM
Oh damn, and here I am only up to Volume 5... I seriously need to start splurging again... Dammit.
-Commences Mind Wipe on self-

HK
20th March 2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for calling me ignorant. ^_^ I really appreciate it. And besides, there IS more than one Philosophers Stone. And Father seems like enough of a dick to kill another city for a new one.

No, I wasn't referring to you specifically. Just in general (mostly towards the 'zomg Hawkeye!!1111' fans. >_o

Personally I think that there will be another Philosopher Stone that is created before the end of the series, but that one I'm betting on Ed and Al obtaining it to get their original bodies back. Seriously, I can't see this series ending tragically for all the characters, although a few deaths to some of the more beloved ones in the series will more than likely happen.

When do the next chapters normaly come out?

Once a month, usually somewhere between the beginning to the middle of a month specifically.

Token
21st March 2006, 2:41 AM
Probably on the 12th. And I know that Hawkeye wont be lust, she is one of the most loyal characters in both versions of FMA. Sorry for taking your comment to heart, it was just a bad day for me. Anyway, Hawkeye's tatoo appears to be a more intricate version of Roy's transmutation circle. The intertwined snakes symbolize both hermaphrodeity(sp?), and completion, or perfection. The writing, when zoomed, apears to be.... unintelligable. ^_^ Im geussing xingian or Ishbalan. The circle is baisicly the same as roys, in that it can transmute oxygen into hydrogen into fire, as represented by the upwards and downwards pointing triangles, respectivly. (This also allows him, and possibly her to use it as an all purpose Transmutation circle. the salamander, obviously, represents fire. My geuss on the tatoo is (purely opinion FYI) Roy using it to save her from a wound, explaining the scars. That, or he wanted to see her topless. ^_^ geuss we will know in a few weeks.

Fullmetal_Alchemist
11th April 2006, 10:45 PM
Hawkeye can't be Lust, as Lust's Philosopher's Stone was completely destroyed by Roy, unlike Greed's.

The raw of chapter 58 is already out. And it's good that even more of the backstory is being shown - like Hawkeye's dad being Roy's teacher etc

AnimeStar
12th April 2006, 3:42 AM
In Fullmetal Alchemist manga.. Ed looks wierd from the side :( Oh and i just baught a new manga but doth sides look the same with Al posing but i don't know what way to read it....