PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime or Manga?

Satoshi
21st August 2005, 12:20 AM
Do you like the Yu-Gi-Oh manga or anime?
I personally like the manga better because the first seven volumes of manga that were only random games instead of cards.

Hydrostatic
21st August 2005, 1:14 AM
Manga. Anime is gay especially the English ones. Though they are the same stories... so I don't see the difference b/t the two except that the voice actors and the speeches in the English anime is sooo stupid (all that **** about friendship or w/e).

Encyclopika
21st August 2005, 3:26 AM
Manga...the anime is, well...let's just say I always hope no one else comes to watch it with me. XP But both are ok...manga better. The manga shows the bit at the very beginning we didn't get to see in the US.

Magi of all
21st August 2005, 4:03 AM
Manga, although I like both well enough, the dub is just stupid. Adding Heart of the Cards and the "Shadow Realm" just ruined what could mave been an OK anime

Encyclopika
21st August 2005, 5:28 PM
^Yeah, I know. That "Heart of the Cards" ******** is so annoying. And the destiny and crap. Everytime Yugi, Yami, or Tea start up with it I'm like "oh, gag me."

Amadeus
21st August 2005, 9:18 PM
Manga. Anime is gay especially the English ones. Though they are the same stories... so I don't see the difference b/t the two except that the voice actors and the speeches in the English anime is sooo stupid (all that **** about friendship or w/e).

I would advise you not to use homophobic language.

The manga is better, largely because the difference between Yami and Yugi is a lot more drastic, the humor is funnier, and the characters show more... well, character.

I find it amusing that in the manga, a few of the staple characters are directly responsible for very violent acts. "Joey" basically killed Cutman, and Yami Yugi set some thugs on fire with spraypaint and a cigarette...

Satoshi
21st August 2005, 9:40 PM
I would advise you not to use homophobic language.

The manga is better, largely because the difference between Yami and Yugi is a lot more drastic, the humor is funnier, and the characters show more... well, character.

I find it amusing that in the manga, a few of the staple characters are directly responsible for very violent acts. "Joey" basically killed Cutman, and Yami Yugi set some thugs on fire with spraypaint and a cigarette...
It's the same in the first series (has no connection to the current dubbed series we know as Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters. Never aired in America). It was just sort of toned down a bit in the later volumes of the manga and not to mention the later anime.

Super sayain demon
21st August 2005, 9:52 PM
I like the magan becusce suff there is uncut not the 4kid's edited crap! and pust no filler ( even do like the dom sagas)

Laz-E-Boy
22nd August 2005, 9:07 PM
^^
I bet school can't start soon enough for you huh?

Satoshi
28th August 2005, 7:33 PM
I like the magan becusce suff there is uncut not the 4kid's edited crap! and pust no filler ( even do like the dom sagas)
It's MANGA not MAGAN. And it's called UNEDITED not UNCUT. It's only uncut when it's amnime, where it has scenes where it's uncut, where's the manga, where there's pictures and thus only unedited.

Don't forget that the manga was also edited slightly.

ShadowReaper
28th August 2005, 7:36 PM
I like the Anime better. The manga is kinda cool but I just prefer the Anime because I like Anime alot.

PokemonGirlMaster
28th August 2005, 8:24 PM
Manga. I have read some of it. But I think it is okay.

Silver Ryu
29th August 2005, 2:00 AM
Anime. I've read some of the manga, and I have to say I prefer the anime. I mean, I don't hate the manga, but I'm used to the anime.

Citrus Man
29th August 2005, 2:04 AM
Manga > Anime IMO. Why? I don't know.

Yuugis Black Magician
29th August 2005, 3:20 AM
Let me all freshen all of your memories.

The Comic debuted in WJ magazine in 1996. In 2000 a second Animé based on Volume five's Yuugi v. Kaiba Duel and Volume 7 (Chapter 60) along with the rest of 8-38 debuted. This Animé was named Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters.

Now, please remember, when an Comic gets an Animé adaption, to keep things freash and new things are changed so that the fans will not just be watching a carbon copy of the Comic it is adapted from (Please note: Manga is only the JPN word for 'comic').

Also ANY AND ALL FILLER ARCS ARE TO ALLOW THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR/TEAM TO PRINT [weekly] COMIC CHAPTERS AT THEY'RE OWN PACE.

In my opinion, the art of Kazuki Takahashi is better then the Animé's. The filler arcs are fun to watch. But because the Animé is not getting the respect it should here in America I have switched to the Comic (even the Comic is getting edits mind you).

Satoshi
29th August 2005, 3:35 AM
Let me all freshen all of your memories.

The Comic debuted in WJ magazine in 1996. In 2000 a second Animé based on Volume five's Yuugi v. Kaiba Duel and Volume 7 (Chapter 60) along with the rest of 8-38 debuted. This Animé was named Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters.

Now, please remember, when an Comic gets an Animé adaption, to keep things freash and new things are changed so that the fans will not just be watching a carbon copy of the Comic it is adapted from (Please note: Manga is only the JPN word for 'comic').

Also ANY AND ALL FILLER ARCS ARE TO ALLOW THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR/TEAM TO PRINT [weekly] COMIC CHAPTERS AT THEY'RE OWN PACE.

In my opinion, the art of Kazuki Takahashi is better then the Animé's. The filler arcs are fun to watch. But because the Animé is not getting the respect it should here in America I have switched to the Comic (even the Comic is getting edits mind you).
That's what we've been trying to tell Super Sayian Demon for almost decades now. :rolleyes:

taylor
29th August 2005, 4:39 AM
I like the manga better

Genkai5000
29th August 2005, 10:24 PM
Hmm...As a wonderfully, true fan of Yugioh, would have to say both. I enjoy the dubbed and original JP version of the anime. Very fun. ^-^ The voice actors are good. ^_^ Then the manga..I like the original JP...Shonen Jump..Cuts out all the "bad" words and the "violent" scenes..So annoying..X_x

Juputoru
29th August 2005, 11:47 PM
I prefer the manga. I've seen both the dub and the original anime, but I still like the manga better. I'm not really sure why; I think I like the black-and-white art panels more than the full-color animation for this particular series. I can't really explain why.

Hidden Mew
30th August 2005, 2:24 AM
Believe it or not, I have read some of the YuGiOh Manga. Even though some of them were pretty interesting, I would have to say I prefer to watch the anime. It isn't only because the manga is more violent. The anime that I watch, which are Pokemon, Digimon, and YuGiOh, I watch to feel happy, to feel inspired, and to feel free from the confined space of this reality. I do understand, or at least respect, why people watch anime, or read the manga, for the art or for the violence.
;249-d; ;196; ;rukario; ;359; ;229; ;373;
I am hidden, yet I am in front of you.

Satoshi
30th August 2005, 2:50 AM
Believe it or not, I have read some of the YuGiOh Manga. Even though some of them were pretty interesting, I would have to say I prefer to watch the anime. It isn't only because the manga is more violent. The anime that I watch, which are Pokemon, Digimon, and YuGiOh, I watch to feel happy, to feel inspired, and to feel free from the confined space of this reality. I do understand, or at least respect, why people watch anime, or read the manga, for the art or for the violence.
;249-d; ;196; ;rukario; ;359; ;229; ;373;
Good reason, but I have to tell you, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist has less violence than the original first seven volumes of the manga. :)

Heck, YGO's barely violent at all, aside from those monsters attacking each other.

Yuugis Black Magician
30th August 2005, 6:13 PM
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist IS the first Manga. Read the publication page, in the original JPN format YGO D was Tankobon (Volume) 8-31 (Covering DK, D-D-D, and BC). YGO MW covers the final Volumes of 32-38.

YGO's original theme are friendship and courage, and if you read or watched the original Comics/Animé, you can kind of see how it works out.

Hidden Mew
31st August 2005, 12:58 AM
Good reason, but I have to tell you, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist has less violence than the original manga. :)

I'm grateful that you thought my reason was good. I was afraid people here would start to bash around what I say here. Anyway, I am thankful for that and what is this Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist? Is that the manga or the original japanese version? I have only read a few of the mangas from Shonden Jump.
;016; ;004; ;338; ;037; ;108; ;230;

EDIT: Never mind. I just read the last post.

cmtbakuhun
11th January 2006, 9:04 PM
I like the manga more. Though I couln't read much of it, what I read was fun enough. And, I liked the yami no game part, which the anime totally skipped. Aw, the dice RPG with Yami Bakura was sooo exciting....
Also, the anime has some unnecessary parts such as KC grand Prix and etc.
And, yami Yugi looks kind of .. uh, ugly or ... maybe strange in the Doma Orichalchos Saga. Moreover, I don't like the dark/black magician in the anime.
originally, in the manga, he has a blue suit and green skin followed by tatoos under his eyes and blonde hair, but the anime turned him into a purple guy! Ugh!

Mimori Kiryu
11th January 2006, 9:14 PM
I enjoy the anime more. I don't know why, I just prefer to watch the show and get more in depth with it. I still love the manga too. <3 Maybe I love both ^^

Luke Groundwalker
11th January 2006, 9:58 PM
I like neither, except for the Egypt Arc of the manga, the only interesting and exciting part of the manga. The anime is just horrible, both dub and original. Yu-Gi-Oh GX is better, though, but it still suffers from bad dubbing and cheesy characters.

RED1992
13th January 2006, 8:46 AM
dude ugo sucks in all forms. i used to play it when i went to grade school, but people started calling it gay and the anime got boring, so i sold may hard- earned exodia and stuff on ebay.

HK
13th January 2006, 9:33 PM
RED1992, stop making yourself look like an a*s.

Anyway, personally I don't like the Yu-Gi-Oh anime or manga, save for the first seven volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh manga. You don't need a manga with as much mello-drama as it was later in the series, and I felt that Takahashi actually had something in the beginning before he started the bandwagon of the fuggin card phenomenon.

Jirachi-Celebi-Latias-boy
13th January 2006, 9:48 PM
definely the anime.

undisputed_seraphim
14th January 2006, 2:30 PM
I like the manga. The anime didn't show the first 4 books from the manga, and the anime was horribly dragged out. And the anime was like, HotC all the way, that was extremely corny. And the story didn't go fast enough. The cursed anime focused too much about duels and HotC, not enough on the personal relationships of the characters (okay, maybe a little) and the manga was much better because Takahashi got everything over quickly.

clown_buggy
16th January 2006, 6:32 PM
I prefer the anime, as it had the Doma and Grand Prix arcs, which I love dearly (especially Doma, which is truly teh awesomeness :D). However, the manga's alright. Can't say I'm crazy about it, though.

AV_ROcK-Dark-TB
20th January 2006, 3:29 PM
Manga- Ever since I saw the changes I was shocked 0_O
I'm Christion and I was rageing how Kazuki Takahashi used croses, churches,blood,vilence, and not to mention Yu-Gi-Oh was One of my favorite show's eversince then I only watched GX >___>

Well as for the Manga I've got 2 vol's the storie is nice and like other's say It show's something's that they don't show in the anime..
http://www.yu-jyo.net/

Dodrio
4th February 2006, 4:14 PM
I like the very first season of the anime. the one that wasnt released in america. It wasnt card based. It was game based, Yugi is the king of games. He is the king of one game. In the first season he finds creative torture methods using games. But after it came to america it went down, waaay down. So, the first season in anime form and the rest in manga.

Rudoku
5th February 2006, 1:42 PM
Manga, although I like both well enough, the dub is just stupid. Adding Heart of the Cards and the "Shadow Realm" just ruined what could mave been an OK anime
You do know that "Heart of the Cards" isn't a dub addition, right? Look at the first Japanese episode of Duel Monsters and you'll hear Yugi say "Kokoro no cardo" a lot.

Kez
13th February 2006, 11:37 PM
Well I am on volume 4 of the manga and I have to say, that so far, it is better than the anime. But it seems very violent. I mean, everyone wants to kill each other, but I suppose that that is why i like it better LOL. I do like that anime, but I loose track of it, and a 5 episode duel can get kind of tedious.

BTW. Why do you call him yami yugi? And in the manga, when does it become aparnt to yugi that he is inhabiting his body?

Love Hina Fan
15th February 2006, 2:12 AM
Well I am on volume 4 of the manga and I have to say, that so far, it is better than the anime. But it seems very violent. I mean, everyone wants to kill each other, but I suppose that that is why i like it better LOL. I do like that anime, but I loose track of it, and a 5 episode duel can get kind of tedious.

BTW. Why do you call him yami yugi? And in the manga, when does it become aparnt to yugi that he is inhabiting his body?
Sometime in Death-T, I forgot when. I am too lazy to check my Tankouban. Anyways, I like the Manga more, especially GX and R. The GX manga only has two chapters and it is already superior to the Anime. R has awesome characters and the story is getting good.

Kez
16th February 2006, 10:33 PM
I have just finished reading the Death-T saga and you were right. But I think that his first inkling was when shadi (for got his name but I think that is right) said that he wanted to see the other yugi. And does anyone know why you call him yami yugi?

HoennMaster
16th February 2006, 10:46 PM
I like both

Hidden Mew
17th February 2006, 1:04 AM
Sometime in Death-T, I forgot when. I am too lazy to check my Taikouban. Anyways, I like the Manga more, especially GX and R. The GX manga only has two chapters and it is already superior to the Anime. R has awesome characters and the story is getting good.

There actually is a GX manga. I thought that it was a rumor for some reason. I'll have to check that out just to see if it is better than the GX anime, which it probably is. Anyway, I'm still saying that I prefer the anime over the manga, but the manga can be interesting at times.

Love Hina Fan
17th February 2006, 1:21 AM
I have just finished reading the Death-T saga and you were right. But I think that his first inkling was when shadi (for got his name but I think that is right) said that he wanted to see the other yugi. And does anyone know why you call him yami yugi?
Yami Yugi is Japanese for Dark Yugi. Although they don't say it much, the other characters usually call him The Other Yugi while Yugi himself calls him Mou Hitori no Boku.

Kez
17th February 2006, 9:06 PM
Yami Yugi is Japanese for Dark Yugi. Although they don't say it much, the other characters usually call him The Other Yugi while Yugi himself calls him Mou Hitori no Boku.
Thank you for answering my question. I mean, at least it makes sence now. But he is not really "dark" is he, I mean, compared to yami bakura, he is an angel, and I suppose that he doesnt really do anything to evil.

I am on volume 7 now. Does the anime basically copy what is in the Deulist(sp?) manga? I am not sure weather it should be one of the next mange to collect. I mean, I thought that the first series was great, but I was wandering if it goes down hill or if it is still good?

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
18th February 2006, 3:49 PM
Manga, don't like the Duel Monsteres theme, I like the Random game one, and the names are better. (Anzu, Honda, Jonouchi and Yugi.)

Satoshi
18th February 2006, 7:16 PM
Manga, don't like the Duel Monsteres theme, I like the Random game one, and the names are better. (Anzu, Honda, Jonouchi and Yugi.)
Jonouchi, Anzu, Honda and Yuugi ARE their names in the anime. Remember people, the dub changed their names while the translated Viz manga kept them.

And the Duel Monsters theme was in the manga too, just not in the first seven volumes of it.

I also notice that my 6 month old thread was bumped. >_> *reports*