PDA

View Full Version : The dawning of a story...

Tale
11th September 2005, 6:30 PM
Ok. So you have a basic idea in your head, perhaps it's one scenario that could string together nicely with others to form a decent plot, or perhaps its one giant, general plotline that came to you all at once.

What do you do next? Do you write oodles of planning, stretching as far as months, or are you one who dives straight into a chapter, hoping for the plot to unfold as you write?

Just discuss here. (I searched and found no threads like this - feel free to lock if I overlooked a thread).

Ryano Ra
11th September 2005, 6:34 PM
I find it a lot easier to plan my Pokemon Fanfictions by writing down the ideas, such as the main events, characters, surroundings, and place in time. For example, while chatting with Burnt Flower one day on the internet, I suddenly just got an idea for two Pokemon Assassins in Medieval Fantasy Times wanting to wipe the little humanity from Earth. It is has been named A Knightly Massacre, and I'm writing down lots and lots of main events that'll happen.

For Exhaled, well, it didn't exactly flow in the same direction. It is pretty rare that I write down my ideas; I usually just being writing the chapter, planning as I progress. But, really, jotting down the ideas and researching before starting the Fanfiction is a lot easier, because it'll move faster, since you know what is going to happen.

AKEBOSHI
11th September 2005, 7:01 PM
The beginning of a story or the situation came to me first. Then I started thinking up the end, and whats happens between.

Then I write.

purple_drake
12th September 2005, 1:46 AM
Most of the time I plan my story before I start writing it, and constantly tweak the plot once I've begun; but on some occasions, when I can't wait to write, I figure out the beginning with a vague idea of the rest and just start.

Seijiro Mafuné
12th September 2005, 2:20 AM
I am stuck on Overdrive mode. Seriously. It's so easy for me to get an idea for a fic that, if I had an endless supply of paper, electricity, life, and pencils, I'd have dozens of novels made.

But I don't have it, so... yeah.

Negrek
12th September 2005, 4:38 AM
By the time I'm actually ready to write a 'fic, it's been in my head for weeks or months (there's one that's been hanging out for almost a year now). This is because I write so much slower than I think and construct, so I have a huge 'fic backlog going on. So I'm able to just sit down and write the thing when the time comes, as I have everything I need to get going long since nailed down.

Burnt Flower
14th September 2005, 3:44 AM
I write my chapters with some planning behind it. For example, I got the idea of Two of a Kind in December of 2002 and posted the first chapter in June 2003. During that time, I wrote every little detail down, even the most insignificant ones and I also wrote the outline of most of my chapters. As a matter of fact, I'm always thinking about new plot points which I write down in my trusty journal.

Lil Brother
14th September 2005, 3:56 AM
Usually I just type up the first couple of chapter without much thought or any idea of the overall story. Then I look back and go "wouldn't it be cool if...?" Meh, I just finalized my current fic's ending a couple nights ago and I wrote the first chapter two months ago.

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
14th September 2005, 7:00 AM
I just make up stuff as I'm going with Cardlocked, Like in chapter one, I just wrote, not thinking.

Avenger Angel
14th September 2005, 12:12 PM
A combination of both, really. For about two weeks, I’ll consider the overall plot, setting and what kind of characters are going to be in the story. Then I begin to plan the beginning events and the ending events as well, but yes, there are moments when I decide to “stray off my own beaten path” and have other things take place that I honestly didn’t intend to have happen during the story’s original creation. It keeps the story interesting and original as you write it, rather than just rehashing exactly what you’ve been planning this entire time without considering other possibilities that could also make your story even better.

Praxiteles
20th March 2006, 12:28 PM
I usually partly do one and partly the other. I get a vague idea about the main point, and sometimes the ending, and I simply start making the beginning. By the time I've done a bit on the first chapter, I've usually thought of what would happen a bit later, and I add it onto the plot. By the time I'm partly done with what I've planned out, I either edit the rest or think some more, which I add on yet again. I do get ideas that are many chapters away, but I simply put those off in a mental note, and think some more. Thankfully, even though I often get Writers Block, I've never experienced Plot Block in my life, so I eventually have the entire fic planned out in my head, which I slowly get into the plot, and, even more slowly, put down in the form of a chapter. It's rather flimsy, but my brain works no other way, so I can't do anything about it.

Dragonfree
20th March 2006, 1:15 PM
I dive right into it. I can't plan stuff ahead.

Luckmage
20th March 2006, 1:44 PM
I usually get some really vivid ideas about what is going to happen at the front and the end of the story...and then I get writer's block. Or at least, lose the whole thing completely. Gets pretty sickening as that happens almost everytime I get a good plot. >.> But, I don't do planning at all. I just "go for it", as they say.

Sempris
20th March 2006, 11:23 PM
Meh, I get an idea, grab the nearest sheet of paper, scribble it down, then head for computer. Sometimes I type the plot out there, but most of the time I type it out and then let it sit for a few months before I get back to it with new ideas.

Xiang
20th March 2006, 11:45 PM
I don't think this was supposed to be bumped.... but for the topic

Unless the idea is awesome, I push it aside. When there's enough for me to type a whole fic, I start typing it right away, plan or no plan. Because my memory is as bad as hell, so I would eventually forget it, which would be very sad. If I can continue, I usually do. Usually the beginning, plot and end hit me first- the meat in the middle is something that slows me down, but I have to do it either way. Along the way, I gain new ideas and add twists and more than what people expect at first- because I do it as I go along to try to get to the end right.

whiteabsol
20th March 2006, 11:53 PM
When I to write my stories, I like to plan them out to advoid writers block when I actually do post them. I used to have a fic but then I deleted it due to the fact that I didn't plan it out and it died X_X This explains why I have only one fanfic out which is shared with Ivymoonrose.

PDL
21st March 2006, 12:29 AM
I use a combination

I have a general idea on what should happen, then I iron out the details when I'm writing it down.

Snazzy Snorlax
21st March 2006, 1:07 AM
I dive right in. I don't guide my stories- my stories guide me. When I write one day, I have no idea how I'll continue the next. I may think about it a bit, but nothing is concrete. That way, the story is as surprising to me as it is to everyone who's reading it.

Astinus
21st March 2006, 9:26 AM
I dive in, only to find after a couple of pages that I have not a clue as to what's going on. So I sit back, and decide to write some character notes. Mostly though, I just wander around, waiting for inspiration to strike my pen. I have so many fics going at once, it's best for me to do that, because if I don't have an idea for one, then I have an idea for another.

Omega Pirate
21st March 2006, 9:31 AM
I just get down everything thing that pops into my head, read it and take out the crap bits. I'm writing a fic now and I have no idea whats going to happen next.

Keleri
22nd March 2006, 1:08 AM
If I get an idea, I usually have to stew on it for months and months--I can't think about writing all the time, and I like to mull things over before I act. I've got loads of ideas, at least one for every fandom I'm part of, probably: Pokémon, Harry Potter, Discworld, Naruto, Warcraft, etc. etc.

Eventually I might write up something and try it out, as it were, in text, and if I like it I might keep going with it. Occasionally, I just get ideas out of the blue and write up a few pages here or there; I've got a couple pokémon and warcraft fic-seeds sitting on my harddrive, f'r instance.

Only rarely does something actually get turned into an actual story (and I rarely do one-shots, if ever--I usually only write things I have a lot of thought invested in, which tend to manifest themselves as chaptered works), mainly because I like to concentrate what little time I have on one thing only. I am very planning-centric, but at the same time I fight NOT to plan--I suspect that many of my dead 'fics are dead (at least in part)--and I have a graveyard full of dead 'fics--because I knew what was going to happen beforehand and got bored.

For my current project, I have landmarks, but that's it--most of the time I don't know what will happen exactly until I'm sitting there writing and I decide it. This is probably not the best way to write, but I've got too much energy invested in this particular story to risk losing it; in the same vein, I am reluctant to even think about other projects in case I lose interest in this one.

The Great Butler
22nd March 2006, 1:12 AM
With Enigma Shadow, I came up with the ending first, then built up a plot that was designed to slowly unravel up to the grand finale.

Seiryu
4th April 2006, 5:09 AM
I have three major fanfiction ideas in my head--six if you wanna consider each of the four parts of my long Pokémon series separate works. They've all been in my head for upwards of a year now, and if you wanna be technical about it, I haven't written a thing down.

Sure, I might've once written part of the opening to my main series, but that was more than a year ago now. 'Sides, it doesn't count anymore since I scrapped that particular idea about a month or two after I wrote it down.

So yeah, I plan. A lot. I just don't wanna start writing until I've gotten most of the main events planned out (thankfully, with my Pokémon works, that time has come, but I can't say the same for my Digimon fic).

I do expect myself to get off my lazy behind and start writing soon, but my point is that I plan ahead for a long time.

icemew
6th April 2006, 9:33 PM
With my story, I got the idea and worked out an outline, then sketched out the general idea for the different chapters, because I didn't want to write myself into a corner. So, I don't have each event plotted out, but I do have most of the framework and an idea of where/how/when the key points appear.

Bay
6th April 2006, 11:50 PM
With "Heart of the Sea", I first started out with thinking some of the events I would like to put into the story. At first I plan to do chapter guides for myself on how the plot of the story should be but then I decided to just go with the story because I would always change my original ideas and put some new ones in if I am inspired enough to do a new idea. I am the kind of person that likes to mix things a lot. Sometimes my way of planning a story can be good or it can be bad, depending what kind of person you are when writing stories.