PDA

View Full Version : AdvanceShippers and PokeShippers - what do you think of the other girl?

Roses Ablaze
1st October 2005, 4:48 AM
The question is basically this: If you're a PokeShipper, what is your opinion of May? If you're an AdvanceShipper, what is your opinion of Misty? If you don't like either of these ships over the other, then this poll does not apply to you and you should not vote (please).

I'm not too much a fan of May, but I've always prefered tomboys over girly-girls. I also find her a little too perfect. So it's more her personality than the fact that she replaced Misty (though I still wish she hadn't).

No character bashing please. Actually, I would rather not have any debates either, as those tend to degrade into flamewars.

CyberCubed
1st October 2005, 5:11 AM
Well I don't really care for Pokeshipping, but I have nothing against Misty. I just hate the way her character went straight to hell when Johto started.

I do like the way Misty was portrayed in the Hoso's as well as the few Advance episodes she's been in, so hopefully they'll get her character back on track.

Satoshi
1st October 2005, 5:21 AM
I don't give for Advanceshipping, but that doesn't mean I "hate" Haruka. I actually like her. Heck, I love her character.

I DO like her, just because I'm a Pokeshipper, doesn't mean I hate her. I admit, Kasumi's personality has died out with the "Togepi incident" (But there's a possibility for that to be fixed), and I don't really consider that Haruka "replaced" Kasumi, I consider that she was just a new character introduced when Kasumi left, not a replacement.

I don't hate her. Just because she "gets in the way" of Pokeshipping, doesn't mean I don't love.....errr...I mean like her, in fact, I don't think she's a threat at all. o_0;

Overall, I do like her, I just don't like Advanceshipping. >_>

Hakajin
1st October 2005, 5:52 AM
Well, I'm a really obsessive Pokeshipper, and Advanceshipping used to depress me, but I didn't really hold it against May. I don't see it as a threat anymore, but that's beside the point. Sorta like on Inu-Yasha, I really like Inu/Kag, but I like Kikyo quite a bit, maybe even better than Kagome. But Inu/Kik can depress me still.

Togepicute
1st October 2005, 5:54 AM
Ummm...tough one....I'm a pokeshipper....but I don't hate May, she's like a little sis for Ash....so....*ahem*

WaterTrainer243
1st October 2005, 5:55 AM
Well, May is a sweet girl, but I just prefer to pair her up with either Drew or Brendan. If I had the idea for a fanfic I'd probably pair her up with a character of my own.

Cap D. Blue
1st October 2005, 5:55 AM
Interesting question. I'm a Pokeshipper myself, but I've got nothing against May. She's the only real reason I'm still watching the anime even when Misty's not there.

Hakajin
1st October 2005, 6:22 AM
Yeah, we all know about you and May, DM13. Lol.

Misty-Fan-Forever
1st October 2005, 6:28 AM
I used to dislike May at the begnning but not because she got in the way of Pokeshipping. Actually I remember I just stopped watching pokemon when MQ came, i can't remember why. I think it's because that aired around the time when I had to start going to school before 8 am and I never could watch it. Then I just lost interest. Last year in year 8 I flipped on the tv and saw that pokemon was on. I wanted to see what episode it was and it looked different o_0 Ash was wearing new clothes and...who was this girl and boy and..where's Brock? And the secon I asked where Brock was he jumped into the scene so it was "You never can Tailow' that i was watching. I wondered where Misty was and I looked onnthe internet and found out. I used to watch some of the kanto videos before that day and I watched some again and I remember movie two was my fave so I watched it and became a Pokeshipper. I was one before but I was young so I didn't fully grasp it. Now I watched some of the eps with May and I disliked how at the beginning she acted like a total n00b lol. And I greatly missed Misty and was upset that she took over her role. I didn't hate May for that, I hated the writers -_- Anyway I began to really like May, even though I like Misty most I love May too XD

Now...what was the topic? Anyway I really do dislike Advanceshipping but I love May. You know what I mean?

hyliansage
1st October 2005, 6:31 AM
I'm not too much a fan of May, but I've always prefered tomboys over girly-girls.

That and the fact that I tend to like the girls who are scrawny and get teased about it. XD And I also tend to enjoy watching girls make guys quiver with fear... it's for humor's sake. :D

Raziel
1st October 2005, 7:01 AM
I'm an Advanceshipper, but I have nothing against Misty.

I don't see Misty or other girls as a threat, and just because they could be it doesn't mean I wouldn't like them, shipping isn't everything you know. I like Misty, she's a cool trainer and her way to be just owns.

Ari Rockefeller
1st October 2005, 10:13 AM
To be honest, I've always seen Brock as a better match for May than Ash. And when I first heard they were writing Misty out of Hoenn in favor of May I was all, "What the ish is this?!". But now that I've adjusted, I don't find May to be all that bad.

Togepicute
1st October 2005, 4:58 PM
To be honest, I've always seen Brock as a better match for May than Ash. And when I first heard they were writing Misty out of Hoenn in favor of May I was all, "What the ish is this?!". But now that I've adjusted, I don't find May to be all that bad.

That's true....but May's appearing made the anime 'unsual' cuz Misty was always there...so a bunch of fans decided there could be ashipping with May but I don'thave anything with it....

Devilrose
1st October 2005, 5:28 PM
For some reason, whenever I think of Misty, all that comes to mind are mallets and pain... Even though she became somewhat of a motherly figure when Togepi came around, thats still the first thing that comes to mind x.x

cold_katanagirl
1st October 2005, 9:19 PM
I hate Misty. But I don't hate her because she "gets in the way" or whatever else. I hate Pokeshipping because I think it sucks, not because it's a "threat" to Advanceshipping, which I don't even think will happen.

Me hating Misty doesn't mean I don't like to pair her up with people though, I think I pair her up more than all the other characters. In Pokemon anyway...

Kyoto-chan
1st October 2005, 9:36 PM
I'm a Pokeshipper, but I have absolutely nothing against May. I just pair her up with other people. x3

I also don't have anything against Advanceshipping...you should've seen me before I joined SPPf...I absolutely hated Advanceshipping and would have spasms. ^^;

But anyway, I have nothing against May.

;157;- Kyoto-chan -;172;

Sharpshooter
1st October 2005, 10:20 PM
Before I resorted to the internet for me daily feed of pokémon discussion, I had nothing against AdvancedShipping actually happening, seriously. But when I first joined Sppf and found out what shipping was etc I saw pokéshipping, or the thought of Ash and Misty being together get bashed a lot and because I prefer pokéshipping to any other ship, I immediately took side to it and thought **** the rest, or least some of them :P

Wolf Goddess
1st October 2005, 10:37 PM
I'd still hate Misty if May weren't around.
I'd still be an Advanceshipper if Misty wasn't around.

'Nuff said.

Wes
1st October 2005, 11:31 PM
Interesting topic...well I'm an Advanceshipper but I hold nothing against Misty since her chracter is pretty good. I'm done with my two cents now.

Aalitichi
2nd October 2005, 12:12 AM
I'm a pokeshipper, but I don't hate May. She just works on my nerves sometimes I mean she's cute and everything, but she does nothing for the show in my opinion. If she left it wouldn't make such an impact as when Misty left.
Misty is much funnier and just more loveable in a way.

CyberCubed
2nd October 2005, 12:32 AM
Eh, what impact did Misty make when she left the show? Just curious.

cold_katanagirl
2nd October 2005, 12:41 AM
but she does nothing for the show in my opinion. If she left it wouldn't make such an impact as when Misty left.
Misty is much funnier and just more loveable in a way.No impact? Nothing for the show?

Explanation plz. =0

+Yuffa+
2nd October 2005, 1:15 AM
To be brutally honest, I got annoyed with May when I first saw her. I was like, "Where the hell did Misty go?" and was like, "Great, she's Misty's replacement!" and stuff like, "Bring Misty back!" and yeah.

But now, it's different. As I watched May in her undertakings, I'm beginning to like her. ^_^ She's definitely a laugh, a fresh and pleasant face in the series and I love the way her character is portrayed.

But I still prefer Misty since she's one of my ultimate faves.

The reason why I don't like Advanceshipping have nothing to do with May. There are other reasons and to pin it on May, is terribly unfair.

But yeah, May isn't much of a threat to pokeshipping, IMO.

megs22
2nd October 2005, 1:40 AM
I dunno, ive had diffrent thoughts on May, first i hated her, and then kinda got into contestshipping so diddnt hate her as much but now... well i still hate her, but not because i think she is a threat to pokeshipping, I hate the thought of May and Ash together true but... her character... annoys me although she sometimes does bring a laugh

Hakajin
2nd October 2005, 4:33 AM
For some reason, whenever I think of Misty, all that comes to mind are mallets and pain... Even though she became somewhat of a motherly figure when Togepi came around, thats still the first thing that comes to mind x.x

But that's why she's so great! Lol, but I know some don't like that kind of character, which is ok.

mistydreams4ever
2nd October 2005, 4:50 AM
I dunno, ive had diffrent thoughts on May, first i hated her, and then kinda got into contestshipping so diddnt hate her as much but now... well i still hate her, but not because i think she is a threat to pokeshipping, I hate the thought of May and Ash together true but... her character... annoys me although she sometimes does bring a laugh

I was kinda like that :) I started out disliking May a bit... She was kinda air-headed, and Misty was my favorite Anime girl in the world. But then over time, after the contest epis, I guess I just didn't dislike her as much. She turned out to have a kinda cool personality, and I thought she was really cute with Drew. But I'd prefer Misty to be back as well. As for shipping preferences, I don't think it's right for me to say I hate May because she's getting close to Ash, and just because I'm a Pokeshipper doesn't mean I don't like May. She's pretty cool in her ways ;)

PikaPika
16th November 2005, 2:00 PM
Well, I support Pokeshipping, and I like May. (In corner: "And now with Ash out of the way, May is mine!") Wait. You didn't read that. I don't mind May, I don't see her as a threat.

~Mist~
16th November 2005, 3:00 PM
I am a Pokeshipper but I don't hate May. Actually, I did hate her when she first came. God, I remember those days arguing with anti-Misty fans! XD I disliked May at first since she seemed like a noob so I continued watching, thinking she was going to be an Ash clone. I was very disappointed when the writers took Misty out so I didn't like her at all until I learned that she wanted to go into contests and it turned out to be interesting. Besides, I'd rather pair May off with either Drew or DM13-Kun. XD But I don't do that just to get her out of the way, I just like her better with them. XD I've been a Pokeshipper for a very long time so I don't hate May even though I kind of hate Advanceshipping. I do respect others' opinions based on whatever shipping they like but I'm just not into Advanceshipping. So Pokeshipping is best for me and hopefully, the writers can do more with Misty's character. ^_^

Chelc
17th November 2005, 1:18 AM
I have to admit, I hadn't watched Pokemon in 2-3 years, so it was a big shock to me when I found out. I saw it on TV one day November last year, and it was the first AG episode, so I was...really, really, confused. x_x I was wondering who the heck that girl was, and why Misty wasn't in the episode. I then researched, and found out everything. I was p*ssed. -_-; Misty and Ash are my favourite characters, and I never wanted to see them part ways. I started to watch again, and May annoyed me so much that I almost stopped watching. Then I found out about the HOSO's, and as I watched more episodes, I realized May was actually a pretty cool character. She got me into Contests, and brought all of those awesome coordinators in after all. ;D So...no. I really don't see her as a threat at all, plus Advanceshipping is okay by me. I just prefer Pokeshipping, thats all. ^^

Kojho
17th November 2005, 3:23 AM
Well, I'm a Pokeshipper, but an even bigger Hoennshipper. And while I have known Misty longer, I just have too much love for Hoennshipping. The possability of Advanceshipping happening is almost on par with Orginshipping right now, and the fact that I don't give a **** for the anime nulls out any hate I would have for an opposing ship, however big a threat it used to be.

Mizu Kasumi
16th December 2005, 11:44 PM
I'm a Pokeshipper, I don't really mind Advanceshipping that much. What do I think of May? She's one of my faves. I have to admit that I didn't like Misty as my most favourite before she left. Probably because I always thought Ash should have kept Togepi. LOL. Stupid reason, I know. But when my mind is made up, it's hard to change it. But during the Advance season when I found out Misty left, I sorta figured out that I do like her as my faves, no, my most favourite. xD But I was also annoyed that May became the main female. But after a while, I just decided to forget all those replacement things. So now, I like Misty and May, and hate it when people bash one or the other.

Pitchi
17th December 2005, 3:27 AM
I am a pokeshipper. But I have nothing against May. I don`t hate her at all. I really like her character.

intergalactic platypus
19th December 2005, 2:33 AM
i hate advanceshipping more than any ship, but that has nothing to do with what i think of may. i used to like her a lot and think she was a fun character, but now her fanbase is just making me want to go on a murder spree since most of them are either fanatics or perverts. i honestly will never be able to like her again after my experience with her fans and the fact shes rammed down our throats. nothing to do with ash though. i dont think they have any sort of romance, so i wouldnt dislike her for that reason since i doubt it exists. sorry may fans

Chaka27
19th December 2005, 3:15 AM
I hate pokeshipping, but Misty is still one of my favorite charecters...I prefer her with Brock, Tracey, Gary or Brendan though^^.

Lux
19th December 2005, 6:13 AM
Interesting... some people who hated May at first - mostly because she "replaced" Misty - tended to take a liking on her as soon as Drew entered the show... maybe due to the hugeness of their pokeshipping convictions - "ok, May is not a menace anymore, I think she's not bad at all, and wow, she looks great with the green haired boy".

I like both girls. They're not a threat to my ships - I'm an orangeshipper, advanceshipper and one-sided Drew --> May contestshipper.

CyberCubed
19th December 2005, 5:20 PM
^ I noticed that too. So many female fans start off saying, "Well I hated May at first...but then as time went on...blah blah"

I honestly believe that if Drew never existed on the show, these people would still hate May. It wasn't until he showed up that people calmed down a bit thinking that May would get paired up with someone else.

Of course, this still doesn't help Pokeshipping, as Misty still not being on the show hurts it's chances.

I really wonder if shipping effects the way you like certain characters. Seeing so many Pokeshippers/Misty fans start off saying "I hated May when I first saw her" and then a couple years later saying "May is a great character!" is really mind boggling, probably because they were upset that she could possibly be paired up with Ash leaving Misty forgotten about in the land of obscurity.

Jo-Jo
19th December 2005, 6:02 PM
^ Yeah, I noticed there was a lot more Misty-bashing on the Advanceshipping side before the Luvdisc episode aired and Orangeshipping reached 'semi-canon' status, too. There's a definite link between shipping and character-hate. Character-love is a bit trickier; there is a correlation between shipping preferences and favourite characters (i.e. Contestshippers and Drew-fans), but it seems more likely to me that in that case, liking the character came first, and supporting the ship second. It figures, really; if you love Misty, for example, you're bound to root for her when you see she has feelings for Ash. Conversely, if you hate her, you might want her never to get him just so she'll be miserable.

It probably does work the other way a little bit, though. I know I liked Drew better when I realised he had a thing for May.

Misty4ever
24th December 2005, 5:57 AM
I'm a pokeshipper and I hated May at the beginning but after awhile I started to like her and I didn't see as much threat and when Drew gave her that rose I now like contestshipping as much as pokeshipping.

Andromache
3rd January 2006, 1:44 AM
In actuality, both May and Misty annoy me for different reasons, but if I had to choose, I think May would be better for Ash. She compliments Ash's hero complex, whereas Misty I think doesn't want someone to baby her. Misty and Jessie are both in the uncertain category for me, because I like when they get all teary and emotional but hate their beating up on people. May, OTOH, is sweet and feminine, which is charming, but she's also whiny and sort of ditzy. So argh! If Misty stopped having such a temper, but kept her self-sufficient attitude, I'd like her better than May, but as it stands, I prefer May on a day-to-day basis and am just fine not seeing Misty that often. Now if only they'd given May more of her own Pokemon and not Ash's old ones. :/

Magus
3rd January 2006, 4:49 AM
I was annoyed at the writers for taking Misty out of the show, and I found May to be overly ditzy at first (she's gotten better). But I never saw May as a "threat" to Pokéshipping, since she doesn't seem interested in Ash as anything other than a friend, and vice versa.

wobbsalad
3rd January 2006, 4:57 AM
I'm a loyal advanceshipper and don't hate Misty. She's too much a part of my history, watching Pokemon over the years. You don't just go and start hating somebody when you outgrow them. I just like May a lot more--I remember being a very casual pokemon fan (never played the games or went to websites) until I saw the character art for May on an advert in a store for Pokemon Ruby, and something just clicked in my brain and I became more obsessive. Misty was and is an awesome character, probably misused during Johto--when I was apparently so bored I stopped watching the anime halfway through and didn't come back until the Larvitar arc (which was friggin' great)--but Misty is going to stand for all time as one of the anime girls I loved most.

Which is kind of a long list...

~Silver Aura~
3rd January 2006, 4:15 PM
i support advanceshipping but i actully like misty she's pretty cool

Burnt Flower
4th January 2006, 4:06 AM
When I took shipping seriously, I hated May with a passion without a real reason other than the fact that she was in the group and Misty was not.

Good thing those days are looooong over. O.o

Nasuka
27th January 2006, 12:13 PM
I like pokeshipping more than advanceshipping. I don't really like May,but I don't hate her either. At first May seemed too naive and kind of got on my nerves little. But latter she really wasn't all that bad later in the show.

Shatoshi
27th January 2006, 12:32 PM
yeah I love advanceshipping but misty is still Hot^^

(not as hot as may lol)

Raevell
27th January 2006, 6:56 PM
I'm an advanceshipper but how I feel about Misty dates way back to before May was even around... Like, back in 1997 when the show first started getting popular. I was a huge Ash fangirl when I was younger and back when Misty was a spitfire I often got mad at her for picking on, and sometimes even smacking Ash. So I grew to hate her just because she was mean to my favorite character.

While I no longer hate Misty, I have never really liked her either. At this point I'm pretty indifferent with her. Her character has become rather bland for my tastes, though she was fun to watch in the hoso's. I actually wish they would make her a spitfire again though. If they did I would really like to have her back on the show, in spite of my remaining detest for pokeshipping.

Andromache
28th January 2006, 9:02 PM
I don't think Misty has changed all that much. Heck, I don't like her 'cause she's mean to Brock. :O I don't know how she can be called bland when she was pretty feisty in trying to get Togepi back from that general.

Raevell
29th January 2006, 12:36 PM
I don't think Misty has changed all that much. Heck, I don't like her 'cause she's mean to Brock. :O I don't know how she can be called bland when she was pretty feisty in trying to get Togepi back from that general.

Yeah, she had her moments, but her personality came down quite a few notches during Johto. I don't think she pulled out her trademark mallet once during that season. And that her big thing in the beginning. All I know is I recall her not being as feisty as she was, but this in an opinion I remember having while watching the series. I might just pop my tape in to see if I still agree.

Andromache
29th January 2006, 1:04 PM
Ah yes. The mallet. Forgot about that. I guess I'm not supposed to take abuse seriously, but somehow, though it's supposed to be part of Misty's character, I don't like it. Somehow, when Jessie complains or is mean, it doesn't bug me quite as much. Maybe it's because I categorize Jessie as being part of TR, and thus, she has a right to be that way, but Misty beating up on Ash and Brock is just not nice. I don't think physical abuse is any sign of strength. I appreciate Misty's ambition and go-getter attitude, however, and I always admire that in people.

Misty-Ketchum
29th January 2006, 3:14 PM
i'm a really big ash and misty love fan umm(pokeshipper), but i dont hate may.
ash and misty have always liked each other i mean they even love each other misty has always been there for ash and not just ash but for the show. when it looked like things just couldnt get eney more boaring misty would lighting things up by have one of thoses little "fights" with ash. it may not look like it but ash really dose love misty deep down i know he dose and misty will be back.i just think that its a bit wrong takeing misty off then placing such a boaring charetar!!
love misty

The Red Butterfly
30th January 2006, 1:46 AM
I for one am a die-hard pokeshipper and misty fan so when they took off Misty i was horrified and so of course I don't like May, cuz I still think Misty should be on the show (They should have had her do contests instead!!!!)

CyberCubed
30th January 2006, 8:45 PM
i just think that its a bit wrong takeing misty off then placing such a boaring charetar!!

I wasn't aware that clutching an egg for 200 episodes and being a moving piece of backround was "interesting", but that's beside the point.

My thoughts on this topic, the writers attempted to make Misty a worthwhile character, they failed, and so they got rid of her. I still stand by my point that Misty hasn't been remotely interesting since the Orange Islands. Out of the 5 seasons she was in, she was a chore and an absolute embarrassment to watch for 3 of them.

I'm glad that the writers have made her a recurring character, since she has nothing to contribute to the main series anymore. This show needs to GET RID OF dead weight, not bring more of it back into the series.

High Commander Solomon
30th January 2006, 8:49 PM
But what would you propose they replace Brock with, as he's mostly considered dead weight? There are issues of fan-favoritism to deal with, and I suppose Brock poses an interesting question because he's dead weight, but dead weight with nostalgia value. Of course, his goal is something they could expand upon - they just don't.

Raevell
31st January 2006, 5:03 AM
I love Brock, I would hate it if he left. He's there for comical value as of now, I myself never get sick of his fawning over pretty girls. I don't think they'd do it again anytime soon though. They tried it, and replaced him with Tracey, but brought Brock back anyway.

I just got my DVD with the Togepi Mirage episodes on it. I really liked Misty in them, she really caught my interest. A character doesn't have to be fighting for a goal just to have 'value' as far as I'm concerned, I don't care if someone is just tagging along with them as long as they do something interesting, but that could be any number of things.

As of now though Pokemon isn't much for character interaction as much as it is for plot. As much as I love the show now I'd love it even more if they did something about that.

High Commander Solomon
31st January 2006, 5:06 AM
But that's a short-term versus long-term issue. During Misty's appearance in Houen she had something she was trying to do. The writers do not usually give all of the characters something to do. You do the math.

Raevell
31st January 2006, 5:35 AM
But that's a short-term versus long-term issue. During Misty's appearance in Houen she had something she was trying to do. The writers do not usually give all of the characters something to do. You do the math.

I'm a touch confused by what you mean. I'm not good at math. -_-;; Are you saying that due to the fact that you consider Brock dead weight they are going to bring Misty back as well? Or that she'll come back just because, without a purpose? Or are you saying she won't come back because she has no purpose?

Aptenodytes
1st February 2006, 1:31 AM
Im a Pokeshipper, but i still like May because im a contestshihpper as well :D I think Misty should be the main character though, and May can go live with drew back in her home city

CyberCubed
1st February 2006, 2:06 AM
Why should May live at home? You expect her to give up being a coordinator if she falls for Drew? WTF kind of logic is that?

Crystal Clair
1st February 2006, 3:41 AM
I'm a Pokeshipper (since the beginning) but that doesn't influence my opinion towards May. May's getting on my bad side because of some dumb mistakes she's made during the show and cuz of her super (totemo) annoying fanbase. The only reasons I like May are because she comes with Drew and Harley and Grace *_* and because she and Richie make a couple so cute it's dreamy!
I've had on and off opinions on May. In fact at first, when she came on the show, I loved her and was an AdvanceShipper for a little. I was very thrilled to see Ash and May traveling alone together. But then I reverted back to my old, PokeShipping self.
A part of my disliking of May comes from 4kids. I dont really dislike Haruka nearly as much. It's tough to explain.
Crystal Clair types too much