PDA

View Full Version : "Whoa" Moments

Kiyohime
6th October 2005, 4:01 AM
Have you ever, in your experience of fanficiton, read a chapter of a fanficiton or a fanficiton in its entirety that left you staggered and dumbfounded, and inspired change in the way you wrote or affected you in other ways?

I remember a few of mine, fondly. First, there was the time I read Serpent Syra's "Shadow Beauty." I was new, and it was the first of his stories I had ever read. I remember sitting there, and thinking, "Dear god, this writer's description is [expletive expletive] incredible! [more expletives]"

Then there was the time I read Burnt Flower's one-shot for the first time...Blessed Water. As a horror writer, it really impressed me, and inspired me to get really nuts with my imagination.

But the prize winner goes to a venerated old fanficiton called Pokemon Masters: A Dark Pokemon Fanficiton. That fanficiton is ANCIENT, and I don't know if it's still up. It had its own website, its own fanart. I think it was the, if not ONE of the, first horror Pokemon fanficitons ever written. That story was what spurred me to start writing Pokemon horror stories.

How about you guys?

billy5772
6th October 2005, 4:45 AM
Usually my "wow" moments come when I'm reading published novels. I know I often try to incorporate effective devices that i see used by professional authors in my own stories. I remember back when I was writing my first fic, the experimentation i did with abrupt scene changes inspired by Brave New World. In the fic I'm writing now, I am incorporating multiple p.o.v.'s, inspired by another novel. Also, descriptive techniques.

As for fanfictions on this site that made me go "wow", I'd have to say King Deoxys' Fanfiction *forgets title* is what inspired me to start writing fanfiction in the first place. The fic was written well and had an interesting plot with some good action. It was pure entertainment, and I liked that.

Dragonfree
6th October 2005, 8:25 AM
I went "Wow" when I first read Legacies by DarkScyther because of his description - the style fit the mood extremely well, it described the details without ever seeming too much for the text...

I also went "Wow" when I started reading Tangled Web by appishsnae/ChicRocketJames. Man, that guy can write. It's like, "o_O Go get yourself published already!"

Kthleen
6th October 2005, 6:07 PM
But the prize winner goes to a venerated old fanficiton called Pokemon Masters: A Dark Pokemon Fanficiton. That fanficiton is ANCIENT, and I don't know if it's still up. It had its own website, its own fanart. I think it was the, if not ONE of the, first horror Pokemon fanficitons ever written. That story was what spurred me to start writing Pokemon horror stories.It's still up (http://users.bigpond.net.au/acey/pokemon.htm). I've read it too. I can't say that I thought of it as a horror fic, but it was interesting.

Allokai's Broken Memories (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2384536/1/). It doesn't seem as if she's going to update it anymore, but I love it. It's sad, creepy, and has a mystic sense to it that I really, really like. I never thought there would be a fanfic that I would consider staying up all night for, especially since I had school the next day. This was it.

Insincerus
6th October 2005, 7:37 PM
Usually my "wow" moments come when I'm reading published novels. I know I often try to incorporate effective devices that i see used by professional authors in my own stories. I remember back when I was writing my first fic, the experimentation i did with abrupt scene changes inspired by Brave New World. In the fic I'm writing now, I am incorporating multiple p.o.v.'s, inspired by another novel. Also, descriptive techniques.

As for fanfictions on this site that made me go "wow", I'd have to say King Deoxys' Fanfiction *forgets title* is what inspired me to start writing fanfiction in the first place. The fic was written well and had an interesting plot with some good action. It was pure entertainment, and I liked that.
I remember reading something from KingDeoxys...something like, "Journey of the Legendaries." One of the first fics I ever read waay back when...lol, it was surprisingly a shipping-ish fic (which I am not usually interested in). It closed later because it erupted into an all-out flame war, which was quite bad, as I was starting to like it.That, and another fic, if I'm not mistaken, written by Indigo (ANOTHER shipping fic O.o) with AshxMay-ness...

Honestly, I haven't really been "wowed" by any fics here. Like Billy said, it's mostly from novels I read. I suppose I did get wowed a few times with Dragonfree's "Quest for the Legends," but mostly because I was trying to read through the previous pages before finally getting to the last page in exasperation XD

lilbluecorsola
6th October 2005, 10:20 PM
Hm...

There is only one real "Whoa" moment that sticks prominently in my mind, and that's when I first read LilyPichu's One-Shot Finality. The entire concept behind it was truly mindboggling, and it's the single fic that has inspired and spurred me on to write an entire series based off of it. (Of course, I'm losing a bit of my motivation now, which I hope to regain sometime soon. >>)

Another "Whoa" moment I am able to recall is reading Burnt Flower's One-Shot A Life's Worth. It was the very first Horror fic I'd ever read, and I found it to be stunning.

Mimori Kiryu
6th October 2005, 10:34 PM
I think the only 'Whoa' moment I've had recently would be xXSaberXx's story, Pokemon Revelation: Cross of Fates here at SPPf. The way she writes, description, mystery....I've had many-a major 'Whoa's' in that.

I've read some on Fanfiction that made me go 'whoa' but they're no longer up... :(

~**Lovelydarkness**~
6th October 2005, 11:36 PM
i am also reading PR:CoF and there is many "Whoa, wasnt expecting that" moments

Chibi Pika
7th October 2005, 12:04 AM
Whoa moments? Too many to count >> When so many people are better than you, you get wowed a lot.
Silverwing;249;: Somehow that statement contradicts with your current user title, Chibs... oO;
*Cough* Anyway, pretty much anything of Lily's, Blue's, Burnt Flower's, Scrap's...their one-shots always thoroughly impressed me.

Tha Legend's Requiem for Revenge definately wowed me--I loved how he came up with such originality for a R/S-based story.

The description in Ry's old fic, Bloodstained Swords was awesome, as with all his works, but that one was my favorite. I remember back when he was new, I didn't really want to continue reading it, but he PMed me with each chapter until I eventually got hooked. XD

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

IceKing
7th October 2005, 1:35 AM
Then there was the time I read Burnt Flower's one-shot for the first time...Blessed Water. As a horror writer, it really impressed me, and inspired me to get really nuts with my imagination.

Its blessed liquid :)

For me, a whoa moments basically come into two sections:comedy and thrill. Comedy is pretty easy to explain, it either makes me burst out laughing (or brings tears to my eyes) which is what Search for Knowledge and The Drama of Serebii have both done. Thrill goes with description. I dont really care too much about the amount of description, rather the effect it leaves and its power. Usually, horror writers leave the biggest "woah" descriptions because they defiintely stick to your mind.

The Burnt Shadow
7th October 2005, 7:09 AM
Well one of the fics that I was impressed by was the trials and tribulations fic done by mind dripper. His description and writing talents were incredible. But the one that impressed me the most was the assylum of the dammed fic. It's preety old but really good. There's so much description and lots of things that I never expected from pokemon. This fic was also the one that inspird me to write my own...

indigestible_wad
11th October 2005, 4:15 AM
No. I haven't. Atleast not anymore I don't.

Don't take it personally, it takes a lot for me to say wow to anything anymore. Instead I just think about what I've just seen instead of giving it my appraisal. I criticize when I review, and when I don't have anything to criticize, my review is never what I want it to be.

In my younger days, I would get hooked on something, I would go back to that thing as often as I could. I don't think I could have done that if I didn't have a wow moment with it. Two things I can remember that I went head over heels for was this old pokemon fanfiction where the original anime gang went to atlantis. I never actually got to finish it because I wasn't smart enough to use the favorites feature on my computer. Another one was GN77's Apocolypse Rising. THat was the story that got me hooked on fanfiction here. Since then I've learned much. I had a few wow moments in the beginning after that, but not as much any more.

Sike Saner
12th October 2005, 4:18 AM
There are two which are responsible for "whoa" moments for me.

One is Pokémon Master, absolutely. Big time "whoa" moments there. That was the story that got me wanting to write Pokémon fanfiction. That right there. Plus, it's one of the few I've read more than once.

The other "whoa" moment came courtesy of Dawn of a New Legacy. Specifically the War of Johto scenes...*shudders* Damn. Just...damn. Seriously. Wow. Oh, I had never listened to so much Fear Factory before as I had in stunned contemplation of those scenes...

Praxiteles
1st April 2006, 11:09 AM
I have not been in the Internet community for long, so little has completely astonished me. But I I remember the very first fic I read, The Origin of Storms. I had been thinking about becoming an author for a long time, but somehow that fic just simply made me say, "I have to write. Or else."

The other one I know of is Dragonfree's Quest for the Legends. Just how intricately the culture and legendary system was developed, and the huge plot twist at the middle really amazed me. Other than that, I haven't read so many fics that I have been astoished a lot.

Keleri
1st April 2006, 6:00 PM
There've been a few... Me and My Flame (http://chad_charizard.tripod.com/), Legendary (geocities.com/na502/pics/legendarygoodbye.html), yes, even Pokémon Master... even though I see the bad writing and Sueishness shine through now, they did have a significant effect on me. Unfortunately I'm past being "blown away" by a story: I've seen some really good ones, but they didn't have the 'effect' the earlier ones had. Even now, though, I can't help but wonder at the art for "Me and My Flame"--it's ridiculously good. Happily, the author is still at it over at Dances With Amps (http://www.geocities.com/chirindenryuu/index.htm), although she just RPs now.

=] Oh well.

xXFallenButterflyXx
2nd April 2006, 3:48 AM
Definately when I read xXSaberXx's story. She'll have you all tense one moment and then laughing your head off the next. =D

~;059; Fallen

xXSaberXx
2nd April 2006, 3:54 AM
o.o Yayzorz.

UM. First whoa moment was Breezy's fic wherein Muddy almost killed someone. Or someone almost killed someone on Mt. Chimney. Yeah that left me like; O_O_O_O_O_O;;;etc..etc..

SECOND. Was like, Scrap's SIN. Just overall WHOA. Like when Rinali was gunna...erm...go in that alley and DO STUFF. OR when Zeffy blasted things open or when Psycho was just being a generally crazy Paras.

Yeah. Good stuff.

Oh. And that one Syra did. About the pink sea.......and the Latias(?) and the pokemon that rebelled and killed the fairy/trainer/thing. That was nuts too.

:3

lisalover
2nd April 2006, 6:26 AM
For me there were two "wow" moments in fanfiction.

First was Burnt Flower's "Two of a Kind" which was just wow through the whole thing and the horror she had in it made me want more.

But the fic that inspired me to write fanfiction was xXSaberXx's PR: CoF. Her fic had just the right amount of everything and was just a "wow" that no words could describe. After i started reading it i realized i wanted to write me own fanfic story. ^^

Dragonfree
3rd April 2006, 6:42 PM
There've been a few... Me and My Flame (http://chad_charizard.tripod.com/), Legendary (geocities.com/na502/pics/legendarygoodbye.html), yes, even Pokémon Master... even though I see the bad writing and Sueishness shine through now, they did have a significant effect on me. Unfortunately I'm past being "blown away" by a story: I've seen some really good ones, but they didn't have the 'effect' the earlier ones had. Even now, though, I can't help but wonder at the art for "Me and My Flame"--it's ridiculously good. Happily, the author is still at it over at Dances With Amps (http://www.geocities.com/chirindenryuu/index.htm), although she just RPs now.

=] Oh well.
Oh, yes, Me and My Flame. Ridiculously good indeed... another definite WOW.

Seiryu
4th April 2006, 7:46 AM
Well, of course there would be those fanfics that have simply inspired me to improve overall--especially Pokémon Revelation: Cross of Fates and The Origin of Storms/Communication.

My biggest "whoa" moments, however, come from the Pokémon and Digimon fics by the author nightdragon0 on fanfiction.net. This guy has left me speechless more times than I would care to count. His action scenes are done perfectly and I wouldn't be surprised to find myself borrowing something from his style there. Plus, the sheer amount of physical pain some of his characters go through really makes me wish I could do the same to my characters and still have them...well, alive. XD (I mean, do any of you know anyone who's managed to stay alive for very long after getting his entire lower half completely ripped off?!)

pokeplayer984
4th April 2006, 1:48 PM
Pokemon Master is probably THE greatest fanfiction ever written period.

I myself have taken time to read it, and despite the fact that I'm not finished yet, (currently half way through Chapter 12.) it is definately a "Whoa" moment to me.

I too have read Burnt Flower's Two of a Kind. Whoa! Whoever made him think that must have one demented mind. :)

Another one I found as a "Whoa" moment is Ash Junior's What If...? Quite the dark story he wrote, despite the fact that he can't remember why he made it in the first place.

Kutie Pie
13th April 2006, 11:27 PM
Guess the 'wow' moments are from Saber's fic... Um... Zerodius's Rejected...

Your one-shots. Yep. That's where I get most of them. And... Chibi Pika's... Uh... HARRY POTTER BOOKS!

Just whatever's a good fic (or book), a get a good 'wow'. Of course, To Kill a Mockingbird didn't give me a 'wow' until the middle, but it still kept me interested. And I think movies count as well, but I'm not sure...

Well, guess that's it for now...

Bombsey
13th April 2006, 11:44 PM
I would have to say Rejected has wowed me quite a lot, probably so...different. I only read it to see what R rated was like...hehehe.

Then again, I haven't read a lot of fan fics really. And all of them didn't really meet the same level of...adult reated scenes as Rejected.

Wondrous Sableye
13th April 2006, 11:47 PM
Scrap's Clockwork Marionette really amazed me. I do believe that's the first time in recent memory that I have actually said the following out loud outside of a state of panic: "Holy SH*T…"

Torkoal
14th April 2006, 3:33 AM
The Pokemon Master and Smiley Guy's stuff really wowed me. 've been trying to learn from them.

billy5772
17th April 2006, 3:18 AM
Um, I'm just going to go right ahead and say it. Billy's poem, Differentiable, really "wowed" me. It's very applicable to all of our lives even though it would seem to be about a pokemon trainer. I love it.

IceKing
17th April 2006, 3:49 AM
Um, I'm just going to go right ahead and say it. Billy's poem, Differentiable, really "wowed" me. It's very applicable to all of our lives even though it would seem to be about a pokemon trainer. I love it.

Shut the foopy up, Billy =)

I suppose I have new things to add to my Whoa list: The End of the Ties That Bind by Saffire Persian; the incredible description in the Serebeth N00b Trails by The Cheshire Cat; and the transformation scene in Into My Woods by Lady Myuu. I KNOW there are others...but I just can't think of them. Oh yeah, Alexi VS William in Alexi by Cyndaquil_Dratini!

billy5772
17th April 2006, 3:53 AM
And don't forget the brilliant horror two shot, A Scarlet Christmas!

UGH! Hypocrite! elbaitnereffid dear og

Other whoa moments of mine came from the play Hamlet. Especially those lines in the play that confirmed some ideas that I had already arrived at by myself. It's somewhat reassuring when shakespeare's said something that you had thought of. Somewhat.

Xumahare
11th August 2006, 9:03 PM
I had one "Whoa" moment that I can remember. That was when I was reading a fan fic, can't remember the name or even the author >.<;, but it was one that started with one word: Cold. Then it went on to say how that word would describe one person, and it went on to another single word, and how it described another person. If only I could find that one again. Can anyone enlighten me as to where/what it is?

Dragonfree
15th August 2006, 12:51 AM
Eh, this is an oooold thread. o_O

Still, it's a pretty good one, so I don't want to close it.

Tezza
15th August 2006, 7:59 AM
My whoa moments....Hmmm I can't remember too many from when I first began writing but two recently come to mind. The first was in the Mad Tortoise's COUNT where Gary sat at a computer hyped up on coffee and long hours and frayed nerves and I was so.... in tune with it. I was 'Holy moly, that's my first year of uni' I could remember being hungry but not wanting to eat, remembering being dead tired but not wanting to sleep, the whole feel of it brought to life again by reading just a few paragraphs.

The second one was a kind of happy "WHOAAA!" moment when reading Ash Junior's Hell Hath No Fury. The war scene was intense. It felt exactly like warfare would be in the Pokemon World! Perfect!

Bay
16th August 2006, 1:05 AM
I thought I posted here a long time ago. O.o

Well, here are some "whoa" moments for me:

Basically all/most of Ches and Seperent Syra's (now Malyntrix) fics. Seriously, those two are, in my ophinion, the best description writers here in the forums. They know how to write elegant description and make it flow perfectly in the story. That's how I got better with my descripton. ^^

Also, Saber's Cross of Revelation. I loved the way how she put the thoughts of the characters. Also, we get to know them a little better the farther the story goes.

Another one is Saffire Persian's fics. When I had read her stories "Requiem of a Dream" (go Absol! XD) and "The Ties that Bind" (twice XD), that made me want to do fanfiction.

;134;~Good night and good luck~

icemew
19th August 2006, 3:25 AM
Clouded Sky (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2146127/1/) by Negrek had a ton of whoa moments for me. It's clever and interesting, but the whoa bits were how detailed and busy it was. I wish I could write half that good...

Avegaille
26th August 2006, 1:04 PM
Hmm, "Whoa" moments? Probably reading Breezy's various works. HLBMA was the first Pokemon Fan Fic I ever read online... and inspired me to write my own...

Yes, I suppose if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't engage myself in writing fan fics and even starting out on original sotries, so there... =P

Knightblazer
26th August 2006, 1:19 PM
Ehh... moments that "whoa!" me? There ain't many,which is a good thing by itself; I'm a person one would least expect to hear go "whoa!"

Well, Dragonfree's Quest For The Legends had a couple of moments that made me go whoa, as well as Sike's Origin of Storms and Communictaion. But its mainly Scrappo's horror fics that entrall me the most - mainly Clockwork Marionette and They.

Then again, who couldn't forget Typhlogirl's all famous humor in Poketalk? XP

Knightblazer ;262;