PDA

View Full Version : Fear Factor Phony! (423)

Serebii
6th October 2005, 6:55 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/423.jpgFear Factor Phony!

On their way to the Battle Arena, Ash & Co. come across a Ghost Town. In the town there is a mansion with music playing out of it and inside, Psychic Pokémon dancing to the music. However the Ghost Pokémon in the town have a problem with this and intend to stop the Psychic Pokémon. Can Ash & Co. stop the fighting?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/423.shtml)

Discuss

Blaziken master
6th October 2005, 7:26 PM
So that is why the pokemon were dancing!Oh well looks like a good ep

ChaosMage
6th October 2005, 7:51 PM
This episode looks great. I hope Wobbuffet's comedy goes beyond what we saw in the preview.

The Big Al
6th October 2005, 8:05 PM
Yeah especially since this episode starts with one foot in the grade (>< bad pun) with lack of Sabrina showing up. Still, there's nothing like Pokemon beating on each other (something we've had a serious lack of throughout the series) to make an episode great. Add a bit of comedy and I really don't care if Sabrina shows up or not.

JazzJazz
6th October 2005, 8:18 PM
Did my prediction come true... with the psychic and ghost-types uniting in the end to "blast-off" Team Rocket? It just seems like a given.

ghost master
7th October 2005, 12:08 AM
Did my prediction come true... with the psychic and ghost-types uniting in the end to "blast-off" Team Rocket? It just seems like a given. you forgot the obvious they become friends in the end part.

♥~Darkness Within~♥
7th October 2005, 1:33 AM
When I saw Kirlia a Wobbuffet I said What the HECK!

CyberCubed
7th October 2005, 1:34 AM
Did my prediction come true... with the psychic and ghost-types uniting in the end to "blast-off" Team Rocket? It just seems like a given.

That's not so much a prediction as it is stating the obvious. We've all watched this show enough times now to have a pretty good idea how each filler will end.

Golden Darkness
7th October 2005, 5:14 PM
Actually, the psychics are the only ones to blast off Team Rocket.

And not only that... when the psychics are captured by Team Rocket, it was Wobbuffet that frees them.

Gravy
7th October 2005, 5:55 PM
And not only that... when the psychics are captured by Team Rocket, it was Wobbuffet that frees them.
Ohh, a very awesome occurance indeed.
I'm assuming Wobbuffet's psychic type WAS finally adressed after all then?

JazzJazz
7th October 2005, 9:41 PM

Was it an accident or did wobbuffet actually want to help them?

Geodude
8th October 2005, 3:01 AM
Wobbuffet actually wanted to help them, yes, because it had fallen in love with the Kirlia in the group.

Heracross
8th October 2005, 6:17 AM
Well, this episode was prett good. Pokémon in need of screen time got screen time, Soonansu was cool, and the animation was well done. And I like the music they use at the beginning of the episode. It always makes me think of the beginning of the Coil/Rarecoil episode. XD

Andyhaunt
8th October 2005, 4:40 PM
How´s that nobody has said this before?? WOBBUFFET FINALLY USED AN ATTACKING MOVE. It broke the cage with Tackle/Double-Edge/Skull Bash/Head-Butt whatever

Gravy
8th October 2005, 5:27 PM
Eh, the whole plot concerning the 'war' between both types of pokémon was pretty weak, and rather cliché. We didn't really get to see either group do anything all that interesting, apart from Kirlia's cgi reflect move, which was moderatly impressive I suppose. Not to mention the illusionary giant Haunter, which was very well animated~

However, I really enjoyed the scenes Wobbuffet and Kirlia had together, and I also liked the fact that Wobbuffet wasn't instantly rejected or anything. I've come to expect that to happen to all the 'bad' or 'weird' pokémon that fall in love during this series, so its nice to see they can break away from the norm in cases like this. What I found most impressive though, was the fact that they had Wobbuffet go against its very nature just to free Kirlia and the others. I have to say, that was pretty damn cool. Kinda sucked how the psychic pokémon had the nerve to tred all over him as they made thier escape. Sheesh, way to show respect to their savoir :P

If I'm quite honest, Team Rocket and Wobbuffet pretty much saved this episode from becoming another one of those sadly abundant lackluster BF fillers~

Flamez
8th October 2005, 5:38 PM
seen the episode and i have to agree with Gravy as i was watching it i was like "damn this isn't all that good" but when the Wobbuffet and Kirlia parts came up i really liked. It was great to see kirlia not reject Wobbuffet. I really like Kirlia in this episode especially the reflect attack seeing it is making me wanting to see Ash face a damn Gardevoir hope that happens.

MasterJedi
8th October 2005, 5:56 PM
Just looked at the pictures and I love the Kirlia/Wobbuffet parts especially the part where May wakes up and seems scared and goes to Ash. :D

Sushi
8th October 2005, 6:08 PM
Hm, they changed the order of the introducing scene, opening and title so that it's the same as in the dub now? Wonder if that was just a temporal change. Doesn't look like it though.

I don't have much to say about this episode, something about it was ...strange. Whatever...animation was quite good. The surrounding area was well drawn and something different from the greenery we often tend to see.
The music was also nice. Not outstanding, but still...And there were some pieces I've never heard before.

I absolutely adored Wobbuffet in this episode, though. It was obvious that it was going to have a big role in this episode after the preview came up, but I wasn't expecting it to thwart its own friends. Made me like Wobbuffet even more than I used to ~
And Abra ... <3 I almost cried during that dream scene.

Er, yeah O.o How random. Overall, I liked it, but last week's episode was much better in my opinion <.<

Blaziken master
8th October 2005, 6:37 PM
Excellent!I loved this one!Wobbufet was ace as it attacked for the first time.I wish the pokemon attacked more,but kirlia's reflect was beautiful

Geodude
8th October 2005, 7:39 PM
OK, Wobby did NOT use an actual attack, it simply charged at the cage and headbutted it (not Headbutted it, just hit with its head), which, as mentioned, goes against its very nature as "The Patient Pokemon" who never uses direct attacks. So don't expect to see it do that again. Great scene.

JazzJazz
8th October 2005, 10:36 PM
OK, Wobby did NOT use an actual attack, it simply charged at the cage and headbutted it (not Headbutted it, just hit with its head), which, as mentioned, goes against its very nature as "The Patient Pokemon" who never uses direct attacks. So don't expect to see it do that again. Great scene.

Damn, I got my hopes up that this "move" would be used again in future, it could guarantee some extra screen time for wobbuffet (i.e. by him being more useful). Oh well...

The Big Al
8th October 2005, 10:45 PM
Poor Wobbufett, he betrayed his allies and his nature for love and he was turned into a living door mat. He'll never win. I wonder if he got a major toungue lashing for his actions.

Geodude
9th October 2005, 1:23 AM
No doubt he did.

The Big Al
9th October 2005, 1:55 AM
And his response at the end. "Soon-ansu" ("So it is" if I've got the translation right)

Yamato-san
9th October 2005, 8:09 AM
If I'm quite honest, Team Rocket and Wobbuffet pretty much saved this episode from becoming another one of those sadly abundant lackluster BF fillers~

Which is pretty ironic, considering they completely ruined what would've been a good episode the previous week. It seems to be a "you earn some, you lose some" case with those guys.

I was really hoping they finally got rid of the trivia quiz when it didn't appear at the beginning. Sucks that it's still around, but hey, at least I can see a bit of improvement with it now. For one, it's not at the beginning anymore, meaning I don't need to put up with its existance until after the episode's over. Also, I prefered its variation in music, which included an instrumental version of Maemuki Rocket Dan, as opposed to that anime BGM they went with in the previous quizes. It's still nowhere near the likes of Ookido's lectures, but at least they seem slightly more tolerable now.

pikadon92
9th October 2005, 11:57 AM
How many of you like the part when wobbuffet saw kirila? (imagine when his 'heart' pop out from his mouth) Wasn't kirila using attract by mistake XD

ChaosMage
9th October 2005, 12:32 PM
It looks really good, and this episode proves that even the pointless, dorment pokemon can have some lovely moments of development. We need more of those.

pokeplayer984
9th October 2005, 1:35 PM
I saw the pics, and all I can say is, poor Wobbuffet.

He fell in love and saved the day, and how was he rewarded? Getting used as a doormat and being blasted off away from his love. ;_;

Yes! I said he!

I believe this, because Wobbuffet gave a flower to Kirlia when he first met her, and doesn't a man do that for a girl he likes? :)

My question is, where did the flower come from? *insert question face here.* (Okay, how do you do it?)

Ahh, maybe it's one of those anime mysteries we'll never know. :)

CyberCubed
9th October 2005, 5:02 PM
Wobbufett is male! Gender confirmed unless Wobby is a lesbian! w00t!

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
9th October 2005, 5:23 PM
I thought this was a pretty nice episode although it did go by pretty quickly. Too bad we didn't see any of the past ghost Pokemon from Tower of Terror. I just didn't like how Wobbufett was treated, he deserves some respect after he saved those Psychics.

Gravy
9th October 2005, 7:07 PM
Wobbufett is male! Gender confirmed unless Wobby is a lesbian! w00t!
"But the Kirlia could have been male."

Thats what someone will say eventually >.>

John's Knight
9th October 2005, 7:15 PM
I just saw the pics and i have a few questions :
-why was abra inside that green sphere?
-what attack did kirlia used in the end?
-couldn't understand this one. does the sphere disappear in the end?
Looks like a normal episode.

Gravy
9th October 2005, 7:21 PM
I just saw the pics and i have a few questions :
-why was abra inside that green sphere?
-what attack did kirlia used in the end?
-couldn't understand this one. does the sphere disappear in the end?
Looks like a normal episode.
I believe the sphere was used to keep sound from reaching Abra. At the end of the episode it was enlarged so the other Psychic pokémon could be in there with Abra (which is why its wearing earmuffs) and listen to their grammaphone. That way they wouldn't disturb the ghosts.
Of course I'm just going by what I saw, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't what it was all about.

And Kirlia used reflect~

John's Knight
9th October 2005, 7:30 PM
I believe the sphere was used to keep sound from reaching Abra. At the end of the episode it was enlarged so the other Psychic pokémon could be in there with Abra (which is why its wearing earmuffs) and listen to their grammaphone. That way they wouldn't disturb the ghosts.
Of course I'm just going by what I saw, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't what it was all about.

And Kirlia used reflect~

Thanks, but why didn't abra wanted to hear the music?

Magical Leaf
9th October 2005, 8:25 PM
Because it was sleeping, which is what Abras do a lot of, according to the Pokedex.

Anyway, good episode. I felt sorry for the little Abra in the dream/flashback, and Wobby was excellent of course, we need more Wobby centred episodes. What i'm wondering is, what did Ash say in his sleep when May was trying to wake him up, anybody care to translate?

pokeplayer984
10th October 2005, 3:12 PM
"But the Kirlia could have been male."

Thats what someone will say eventually >.>

True, but that would most likely be from someone who doesn't think about the age old tradition that I spoke of that has gone unchanged for centeries.

Let's face it! The age old tradition of a man giving a woman he likes a flower has highly confirmed the genders here. :)

Kthleen
10th October 2005, 11:17 PM
My question is, where did the flower come from? *insert question face here.* (Okay, how do you do it?) :confused: will get you this: :confused:. Or you could hit the "[More]" at the bottom of the Smilies box, go to the very bottom, then look for that face, and click it.

It was an all right episode. Loved the Gringy City song at the beginning. I also liked TR looking drugged and the interaction between Wobbuffet and Kirlia. Poor Wobbuffet....

Ok, from what I could pick up, the Ghost Pokémon lived in that town before the Psychics did. For some reason, the humans left the Psychics behind (darn it, I wish I knew why. He merely says, "Sorry, everyone. We can't take you where we're going this time." A place that doesn't allow Pokémon? A place that doesn't allow Psychic Pokémon?), and they play music at night to comfort themselves and have a good time. However, the Ghosts have a problem because they don't like bright lights and loud music. Why they went all the way to a cave on the outskirts of town instead of a neighboring, if more distant, building, I'll never know....

Anyway, to protect their new home, the Ghosts have been using their powers to create a giant Haunter illusion to scare away intruders. TR wants to help them take their home back, Ash-tachi says, "Aww hell naw!" (and later "Y'all can live in the same town, dadgummit!"), Wobby frees the captured Psychics, TR get blasted off, Brock has the idea of having the Psychics play their music and dance in Abra's sound resistant bubble (and Abra gets to wear headphones), everyone's happy, yay.

(For anyone wondering, the whole phrase is: "Minna, sumanai. Kondo, ikutokoro wa, omaetachi wa tsuretekoto ga dekinainda." He then says, "Ja, minna, genki da na. ["So.... be ok, everyone."])

Team Rocket Admin
11th October 2005, 1:33 AM
Wow, a useless filler. That was SOOOOOOOO unexpected :rolleyes: I knew Wobby was a male.

Juputoru
11th October 2005, 1:42 AM
This episode was looking halfway decent due to the ghosts' antics at first.

Then Wobbuffet fell in love with Kirlia.

Then the ep was pretty good, for filler!

It was great seeing Wobbuffet trying so hard to free Kirlia(and the other Psychic Pokemon). And of course, Satoshi-tachi will continue to see it as an evil Pokemon because it's owned by TR. >:/

Yamato-san
11th October 2005, 4:24 AM
*I hear "Sumanai," meaning inexcusable. If it's not that, I would appreciate it if someone told me so.
I kind of doubt he's saying "we won't reside [here]." If he had said "sumenai ("we can't reside [here]"), I would take it as the verb sumu, but not this time.

(For anyone wondering, the whole phrase [as I hear it] is: "Minna, sumanai. Kondo, ikutokoro wa, omaetachi wa tsuretekoto ga dekinainda." He then says, "Ja, minna, genki da na. ["So.... be ok, everyone."])

You do realize that "sumanai" can also work as an apology, don't you? You may be familiar with "sumimasen" being equivalent to "excuse me". Well, from what I've seen, "sumanai" seems to work as a more casual form of that (and given the way verbs are structured in "masen" and "nai" forms, it makes sense).

Kthleen
11th October 2005, 6:57 PM
You do realize that "sumanai" can also work as an apology, don't you? You may be familiar with "sumimasen" being equivalent to "excuse me". Well, from what I've seen, "sumanai" seems to work as a more casual form of that (and given the way verbs are structured in "masen" and "nai" forms, it makes sense).I had a feeling about that, but I didn't actually know that. Thank you.

Pokemon Fan
11th October 2005, 7:10 PM
It was great seeing Wobbuffet trying so hard to free Kirlia(and the other Psychic Pokemon). And of course, Satoshi-tachi will continue to see it as an evil Pokemon because it's owned by TR. >:/
Uh the only Pokemon of TR's that Ash's group see as bad is Meowth (and they even feel sorry for him at times)... they certainly had no problem with Wobbuffet early on and they saw it save the others. They don't fight TR'as pokemon because they think they're evil.

One can see in this episode WHY Wobbuffet never attack, their bodies just can't handle it. Wobby's attempt left him prone on the ground. Twas a great scene though to see him defy the very nature of his species.

And I never thought I'd ever see an Abra display emotion like that...

Aalitichi
14th October 2005, 3:24 AM
Does anyone know what Ash says in his sleep when May tries to wake him?

Flying Tropius
18th October 2005, 1:57 AM
I don't know I'd like to find out though.....

Kthleen
21st October 2005, 8:28 AM
Does anyone know what Ash says in his sleep when May tries to wake him?Something about eating (or perhaps not doing so). I hear "Ahn, mada tabe[unintelligible]e...." Sounds (to me) too long and complex to be "mada tabenai de" ("don't eat yet"), and I'm not sure that "mada taberareru ne" even makes sense (what would that be? "I'm still able to eat, right"? :/ ). All I can really get out of it is something about eating.

Aalitichi
21st October 2005, 6:42 PM
That's so typical.

Dogasu
9th November 2005, 5:34 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. The made-up Ghos conjured up by the ghost-type pokemon was animated REALLY well, and the rest of the episode looked great as well. And, as others have mentioned, Sonansu's romance with Kirlia was great as well. I also thought the part at the beginning, when Haruka thought that "ghost town" meant that the town was actually inhabited by ghosts, was pretty amusing.

I am annoyed, however, that the show is pulling a Kids' WB! on us and putting part of the show before the opening theme. I mean seriously, why the hell is TV-Tokyo bowing down to Kids' WB! so goddamn much? If you're going to do this much for them, why don't you go ahead and dub the show into English so that 4Kids won't have to?

Also, the new Pokemon Trivia Quiz sucks. At least the questions Takeshi came up with were challenging and somewhat clever.

Yamato-san
9th November 2005, 7:21 AM
Also, the new Pokemon Trivia Quiz sucks. At least the questions Takeshi came up with were challenging and somewhat clever.

Meh, trivia quizes suck regardless. I personally find this one easier to sit through due to its choice of music, as I mentioned earlier (how can anyone deny the hilarity that is Maemuki Rocket Dan?).

Dogasu
9th November 2005, 3:12 PM
Eh, the overuse of Maemuki Roketto-Dan during the Jouto League sort of killed the song for me. It's almost as overplayed as Ready Go!.

Besides that, the question now is really lame. "Which pokemon is surprising Haruka?" followed by a jumbled up scene from the first episode? Lame. Takeshi's questions were at least challenging and required you to think outside the box, and you felt smart when you got the right answer.

Crane
28th November 2005, 6:36 PM
Yea and I liked that part when may wen to ash and trid to wake him up. it loked so Advanceshipping or advanceshippy or watever you can call that cute couple.

grovile
8th July 2006, 5:18 PM
When this Episode begin on ENGLISH?

C.J. Ray
13th July 2006, 8:16 AM
Answer please!

Grovile, I know the Bible said "Ask and ye shall get an answer" or something like that, but double-posting is no excuse.

As for the answer, we don't know. My guess is that Cartoon Network will air all the episodes up to "Pasta La Vista" on Mizugi before they air the new season. We don't even known the dub title of this episode yet, so until we do, we have no way of knowing when it comes out. I'm guessing either Sept. or Oct. (Oct 31 would be perfect to start this season, since it would be a Halloween special, CN loves doing crazy specials like that.)

EDIT: What? Sabrina's not in this? I had hoped for that! Sheesh, writers, why don't you just put the Battle Frontier in the Sevii Isles if you're not gonna use characters like that. Sabrina would be PERFECT for this episode, what with her having a Kadabra and Haunter. :@

cyberchick
8th September 2006, 3:00 PM
where can i download this episode?

Bassman456
9th September 2006, 1:40 AM
This episode is on Cartoon Network right now!!

coolcobra77
9th September 2006, 1:43 AM
Satoshi's new voice sounds like rusty nails... so does Meowth's

What happened to the person who played Hoenn Satoshi's voice it sounded good to his character... I can't even watch the episode becuase it makes my ears bleed. Why did they trade humans for rusty nails on a chalkboard! why why why?

johnny139
9th September 2006, 1:44 AM
The voices are pretty good. May's is different, but not bad. Max's is the only one I really don't like. Brock's is dead on, and I can hardly tell the difference for Team Rocket.

Wendigo
9th September 2006, 1:45 AM
I'm digging the new voices, hate Max's though. Though...I think Ash just needs a TINY BIT more enthusiasm.

Bassman456
9th September 2006, 1:45 AM
I guess May still sounds older than she supossed to be and James sounds like has a cold

Leon Phelps
9th September 2006, 1:47 AM
What happened to the person who played Hoenn Satoshi's voice it sounded good to his character...
Where have you been the past 6 months?

I love the theme song. Way better than the Advance Battle one. Also, PUSA kept out a lot of spoilers in the theme song. Maybe they'll add some more as the season progresses.

I really like this episode for some reason. The animation is okay and the pokemon being featured are great.

CaptainBrain
9th September 2006, 1:51 AM
Ugh...I hate Ash's voice, anyway, a good episode. :)

WaterDragon trainer
9th September 2006, 1:58 AM
This episode was good. The intro theme was ok, but the Advanced Battle theme was better. Call me crazy, but Ash, May, Max, Brock, Meowth, and Jessie still sound the same JUST a little. Can't say the same for James. Glad to see that Pikachu and Wobbuffet still have the same voice since others like Seviper and Cacnea have different ones ESPECIALLY Abra. Kinda stinks that there's no TC. It was funny when Wobbuffet ran out on its own, saw Kirlia, and had its heart cam out of its mouth as well as Wobbuffet busting open the cage with its head and the psychic pokemon trampling it. Also, Wobbuffet actually was awesome in this episode.

Bassman456
9th September 2006, 2:00 AM
Overal I give the dub a 8/10 They still need to work one the voices and James really sounds like he had somekind of a cold

Jonouchi
9th September 2006, 2:01 AM
I didn't catch most of this episode, so I can't say fully on how I liked it.

The voices were MUCH better right now. The only one I had a problem with was James. It just didn't seem right to me.

Other than that, they were pretty decent. I think I can survive with these.

megakevinexe
9th September 2006, 2:02 AM
This episode was great! :)

Poor Wobbuffet... he and Kirlia looked so cute, and yet he blasted off along with TR! ^^;

Cartoonami
9th September 2006, 2:09 AM
Here we are, at season 9. The only voice I didn't like was Meowth's, as it sounds way too much like Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Weevil Underwood. And don't worry about the other voices. They were a little rough here, but I pray they get better with time. I watched the show with my 15 year old female cousin, who does not care for Pokemon. But that availible house had cable. Oh well, I'll be tuned in for 'Sweet Baby James'.;355;

old guard truthseeker
9th September 2006, 2:13 AM
I don't know I'd like to find out though.....

Something like: "thanks - I don't think I could eat any more..."

rubyrulez
9th September 2006, 2:14 AM
I really enjoyed it. The voices were OK, but I'll get used to it.

I never saw the Japanese version of the episode, so I can't really tell if the music was kept, but it was still enjoyable. Horray for the original music when the episode title is read :D

8/10.

CHeSHiRe-CaT
9th September 2006, 2:24 AM
I thought Max, Jessie, James, and Meowth were more developed than they had been before. I still feel uneasy with Ash, May sounds like an alto, and Brock isn't quite there yet.

The writers seem like they're slacking off a bit to me; I didn't feel what I usually did when I watched the older episodes; that feeling of familiarity, depth, etc. It just felt sort of out of place, I think. The Abra thing was sad, and sort of left me a little sensitive about it, because even afterward when it used Safeguard to keep the sound in, I was like, "Well, what if it keeps having nightmares about those mining people?" XD But heh, it's just an anime, so yaw... I just wish these writers had a better sense of humor and had a way of weaving the words into the scene without making it sound out of place, like I said before.

Juputoru
9th September 2006, 2:24 AM
Glad to see that Pikachu and Wobbuffet still have the same voice since others like Seviper and Cacnea have different ones ESPECIALLY Abra
I couldn't hear a difference in Seviper and Cacnea. Then again, I don't watch the English anime much anymore...and Abra's voice sounded exactly like its JP one to me, if my memory's serving me correctly. The voice of the Haunter-like ghost at the beginning(and end) sounded the same as the JP version too, IIRC.

So they replaced whatever they were dancing to in the original with a instrument-only version of the Dance of the Bellossom(or whatever it's called). The music in general was good, although my memory's rusty so I don't know if they kept the original music or not.

Jessie sounds vaguely like a valley girl(probably the higher pitch), James is still snobby, Meowth was okay, I still can't tell the difference between New!Max and Old!Max, May sounds much better, and Ash sounds somewhat less generic.

As for my opinion on the ep itself, you can find it he...bwah? This must have been before I started doing weekly summaries of doom. Oh well. (that reminds me, I STILL have to do the one for the second most recent ep...) And yes, Wobba's awesome in both versions. :D

Linkdarkside
9th September 2006, 2:29 AM
why dint Kadabra and Alakasam teleported out of the cell

Cartoonami
Horray for the original music when the episode title is read :D

8/10.

It was?! That's cool to know. Did you fans also know that Pokemon is now a three-act show, as opposed to two primary acts? And there was no real eye catch this time.

DragonSage
The episode was good. The only issue I have with it is Meowth and James's voices. Meowth does sound a lot like Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Weevil Underwood, Cartoonami and James.....well.....he sounds like he's a bit too snobby. It will take me a while to get used to the voice changes though.

Plus I liked how they did Reflect with Kirlia. That was some neat computer animation there. ^_^

Pika Hikari KT
9th September 2006, 2:30 AM
-Though half it's usual length, the new opening was good. The ending was the first Mirage Pokémon special opening, and I've never minded it. Too bad the stupid Fridays gang spoiled it.:(

-Original score...for the...f'ing WIN(especially that remix of one of the battle themes. 'Twas very kakkoii)! But they did slip in some dub music...I think. Was the Bellossom Dance score original? But I love that BGM anyway, nya.

-I didn't mind any of the voices this time around. Surprised that the giant manga Haunter got to keep its 'GHOOOSTOO~' voice(that was revealed in the preview). Same with Abra, whose voice also didn't get changed.:o

-Aw...Wobbuffet's in love.<3 How sweet that he risked his loyalty to TR to set Kirlia free...

Overall, I thought this was a great start for the new dub and season: 8/10. Keep it up, Nintendo!

Shiny Ho-Oh
9th September 2006, 2:32 AM
The episode was cool. It was sad when Abra had that flashback when his family was leavving him..

rubyrulez
9th September 2006, 2:51 AM
The episode was cool. It was sad when Abra had that flashback when his family was leavving him..

Yeah, my little sister actually cried at that part.

I thought it was sad, too.

Ampris
9th September 2006, 3:45 AM
This was really a nice episode, very sad and cute. I felt sorry for both sides of pokemon; the Ghosts had their home invaded, taken away, and excavated, and then when the good-for-nothing humans couldn't use the mine anymore, they ditched the Psychics who had helped them.

That Abra was one sad little fox-thing, it was left heartbroken and nobody cared. It's no wonder the Psychics trampled poor Wobby after he helped them, they were distrustful or something. And the Wobbufet and Kirlia thing was definitely sweet, even if it left my favorite Wobb-ship floundering helplessly before all but dying in the next episode. Bah, this is a good start for the season, anyway.

Better than that stupid watermelon ep I had to watch five stinking times last year.

And as for the voices....

Ash's voice quality was about the same as before; there wasn't anything wrong like sounding too high-pitched or too Richie, so the only problem here is that it's different. Though it'll definitely take getting used to.:(

Brock, and I wasn't expecting this, but his voice was literally miles better that that MMOMP prevert-growl, and at times he sounded so much like Eric stuart that it was uncanny. There were still nasally moments that could use work, but overall it was fine. Good job, NewBrock.

James voice, sadly, fails. But...it does sound slightly less like Barney now, so I guess it could get more tolerable. Probably not fast enough for the next episode, though. D:

Jessie...gah, her voice was hard to place. The first lines were dead on, it could have been Lillis, but after that it went from being normal to being horribly screechy to Valley Girl and back again, but mostly screechy. Ehhh, there were lines that sounded good, and lines I couldn't stand, but it just didn't sound right overall. (And I'll admit I'm kinda biased, but this voice in particular was important to me.)

Max apparently assumed the role of Richie when people complained about Ash's voice>>

Granted, it *is* a younger Richie, but it's still bad.

May sounded SO much better than the apathetic thirty-something from before, and there's not much to complain about here. Maybe a little low-pitched at points, but it's mostly alright.

Meowth just didn't fit. The voice wasn't too awful, but the accent sounded very forced and unnatural and that killed it for me.

Wobbuffet...shouldn't really be mentioned here, but didn't it seem like Kazie Rogers was having an off-day or something? I dunno, maybe it was just me.

Akane
9th September 2006, 3:59 AM
I think this was a pretty good episode. I really like the new voices, they sure improved from the special. They did fine. ^^

I loved how Ash and co. helped the Psyhic Pokemon and Team Rocket helped the Ghost Pokemon. It was great. Yeah it was sad when Abra was dreaming about his family leaving him and his other friends. :( But it was cute that Wobbuffet got a crush. XD

But anyway this episode is great! What a great start from the team of PUSA.

I was happy when they kept the original music of the title card. That was a shock to me! I was like...YAY! They kept the music in! And the background music sounded like the Japanese version too in some scenes.

Judai Yuki
9th September 2006, 4:03 AM
To me May,Jessie,James,and Meowth sound just as good.:)

-Judai

Akane
9th September 2006, 4:07 AM
To me May,Jessie,James,and Meowth sound just as good.:)

-Judai

I totally agree with you there. I really liked their voices. Especially Jessie's. ^^ I think hers was dead on.

uncutpokemon
9th September 2006, 5:00 AM
ok i just saw the dub that was also the 1st time PUSA was in charge and i gotta say that i'm very happy with the way they handled it, cause they kept all the BGM intact, even the title screen music! horay for PUSA! and to those who hate the new voices rest assured that the good BGM should be enough to make up for it

Reece
9th September 2006, 5:02 AM
Alright, I like all the voices except James, that was horrible IMO. But still, its only the first episode and his voice actor has a lot of time to get better.

S.Suikun
9th September 2006, 5:12 AM
ok i just saw the dub that was also the 1st time PUSA was in charge and i gotta say that i'm very happy with the way they handled it, cause they kept all the BGM intact, even the title screen music! horay for PUSA! and to those who hate the new voices rest assured that the good BGM should be enough to make up for it
Err...the title screen was really the only music they kept intact. I distinctly recall the music played on the phonograph being different. I wasn't paying to much attention to the overall score, though, so I can't accurately compare it to 4Kids' work.

But hey, they kept the text on the store signs unedited! WOOHOO!

This is the final episode of the BF filler run. The next episode (which I might add is one of the best in the series) is where BF starts getting really good.

Akane
9th September 2006, 5:44 AM
Err...the title screen was really the only music they kept intact. I distinctly recall the music played on the phonograph being different. I wasn't paying to much attention to the overall score, though, so I can't accurately compare it to 4Kids' work.

But hey, they kept the text on the store signs unedited! WOOHOO!

You are probably right. I couldn't tell they kept the orignal background music. I didn't get to see this episode in Japanese, so I wouldn't know. But at least they kept the orignal title card music! That to me is great! ^^

Yeah, I think there wasn't any sign editing! YAY! Great job PUSA! :D

FEZ
9th September 2006, 5:54 AM
i was glad they kept the opening thing with ash on picachu and it was an ok episode now for the voice review.

Ash: one of the best there it didn't sound girly at all (well ok a bit now and then) i was happy with this one it will take some time but its ok.
Brock: also one of the better ones it still sounds like the VA is trying to force brocks voice though but i guess time will help.
May: AHHHH one of the WORST it sounded nothing like may at all i dont think i will ever be able to get used to this one (maybe she was a bit off because she was scared the whole time but the regular parts were still way off).
Max: The best i can barley tell a difference.
Jessie: It was almost dead on i just miss the bit of whinyness in her voice.
James: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO why why why his voice is way to low and he lost his high screech as well just in time for James episode next im very very disappointed.
Meowth: well its ok sorta well not really. i will get used to it eventually but it just doesn't sound close enough.

well thats that i guess im just stuck with james and may and meowth.

Serebii
9th September 2006, 11:46 AM
People, can you try and discuss this episode based on its merits and not the voices. Discuss the voices in another thread. This thread is just for this episode

Pure
9th September 2006, 11:49 AM
Meh, the episode idea made it seem like a classic Kanto filler. It had a decent plot, and showed the rarely seen Psychic pokemon. Meh, I could have done without the dancing.

Abra was very cute, though, and shed a new light on the persona of a normal Abra.

Medea
9th September 2006, 11:58 AM
Well this episode was okay (and because I have the say it) the voices really didn't bother me as much as the Mirage special (except for James). Anyways moving on. That part with the Abra being torn from the humans was just so sad for words (didn't cry) but very sad. Wobbuffet and Kirlia...Wobbeo and Kirliet?...Heh, just trying that bad boy out. Yeah, that was so cute and after suffering massive blows to the head, trampled by all of the psychic pokemon, as well as Pikachu, he still remains our perfect blue-blobbed idiot!

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
9th September 2006, 1:41 PM
I like these VA's better. At least they try to sound like the originals. Ash sounds a bit girly, and Team Rocket has nasal problems. other than that, it's good.

jolteonjak
9th September 2006, 2:05 PM
I had a lot of trouble enjoying this episode (since we can't talk about the voices here).

PoKmOn_FrEaK
9th September 2006, 3:05 PM
This was a cool episode. I really liked Sweet Baby James better but this was a cool debut episode for Battle Frontier. I kinda figured it was host Pokemon behind the whole ghost thing. It was cool that they threw a party for the psychic Pokemon. At the beginning of the show though, I was like "what`s up with team rocket?" because usually they run away from ghosts and danger but they battled the "illusion" ghost. But as the episode progressed, they were the same ole team rocket :)

littlestchristian13
9th September 2006, 3:24 PM
that was a sweet episode! poor wobefette! it fell in love with kirlia, I liked the episode.

Latias74
9th September 2006, 3:27 PM
The episode was Terrible! They should give it back to 4Kids and get the old dubs back! The main characters necks even grew when they saw the ghosts! It was okay! It made me laugh so hard!!!

halloweenghost
9th September 2006, 3:40 PM
I enjoyed this one alot... though I thought is was sad seeing the flashback of the towspeople leaving the psychic types behind and watching Abra run after them in tears :(

I don't know about you guys but the scene were the twerps were sleeping and may couldn't sleep, the phonograph music sounded creepy.. I would have been freaked if I were really in an abandoned house and heard that!

Geodude
9th September 2006, 4:56 PM
The main characters necks even grew when they saw the ghosts!
And that has what to do with the dub? Your entire post contradicts itself.

Now, I know Haunter's Japanese name is Ghost, but still, it's odd that the gang kept referring to that giant fake Haunter as a "ghost" and never once mentioned Haunter's name. Still, a well-done episode.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
9th September 2006, 5:09 PM
Now, I know Haunter's Japanese name is Ghost, but still, it's odd that the gang kept referring to that giant fake Haunter as a "ghost" and never once mentioned Haunter's name. Still, a well-done episode.
I thought that was odd too. If you listened carefully, you could actually hear the illusion saying "ghost" once or twice, like how a regular pokemon would say it's name.

Kamex
9th September 2006, 7:29 PM
This episode was okay. I liked how they had Abra Safeguard to keep sound away while it sleeped. I do remember something about it being able to use techniques while sleeping.

I know this shouldn't have anything to do with the new VA, but did May seem especially winy and annoying in this episode to anyone but me?

7/10.

C.J. Ray
9th September 2006, 8:10 PM
So they replaced whatever they were dancing to in the original with a instrument-only version of the Dance of the Bellossom(or whatever it's called).

Don't knock Dance of the Bellossom! It is my favorite movie music! At least they used movie music, when 4Kids cut it all out of other episodes. Be glad. :)

I really liked this episode, but I wondering too, why did the humans not give the psychic Pokemon a chance to join them instead of leaving them behind? From what I know, the miners didn't own the psychic Pokemon, they were "wild", but they helped the miners out, and yet they left them behind instead of putting them in Pokeballs.

Great episode, though.

SheWhoLovesPineapples
9th September 2006, 8:27 PM
Hmm...

Ok, the episode itself was OK. I never saw the original, so I have no idea how PUSA did with the dubbing, though.

I know we're not supposed to discuss the voices, but... well, I'm surprised at how improved they were. *Way* better than in the Mirage episode.

I didn't really get why the townspeople left the Psychic Pokemon behind, either. I missed the first five minutes, though... geesh, I'm surprised they didn't have that one kid come, say something like, "Abra, I've come back for you! Will you forgive me?", and then end with them all being reunited...

I didn't notice that about calling it Ghost! That's weird!

The new opening seems OK to me... meh, I dunno. I like the song as much as the next Pokemon opening, but for some reason I don't like the video.

But gosh, the ending! Ugh, I'm gonna die! I thought that song was trash when they did the redub... PLEASE don't tell me that's permanent.

I'm surprised they used a different song for the ending, though.

The Wobuffet thing was funny.

All it all, 7/10.

Knight_Ram
9th September 2006, 11:45 PM
IMO, all the voice actors were good but i didnt like any of the team rocket at all, i guess ill have to get use to they're voice but they have about 8 year until they get fired too so thats enough time for me and all you guys and girls to get use to them too right?

Geodude
10th September 2006, 2:13 AM
I thought that was odd too. If you listened carefully, you could actually hear the illusion saying "ghost" once or twice, like how a regular pokemon would say it's name.
Yeah, if you combine that with what I just said about its Japanese name, anyone who hasn't seen the Japanese version should be able to conclude that the illusion kept its Japanese voice. Abra also did in the flashback.

I didn't notice that about calling it Ghost! That's weird!
They called it "a ghost", "that giant ghost", etc., not "Ghost". There is a difference. ;)

SheWhoLovesPineapples
10th September 2006, 4:44 AM
Well, I know that, but it's still weird... that they don't call it a Haunter.

Gravy
10th September 2006, 11:34 AM
How is it 'weird' that they didn't relise the fake ghost thing resembled a Haunter? These are the same freaking kids who are stumped when Jessie puts on a pair of glasses

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th September 2006, 12:00 PM
Don't doubt the amazing identity shrouding glasses.

Jesse GS the II
10th September 2006, 9:19 PM
Before I get to the episode itself, I'm just gonna get all the voice actor stuff out of the way right now...

Frankly, if I hadn't been told that there had been a change of cast, I don't think I would have known the difference. I really don't know what the heck everyone's gotten so worked up about - with the possible exception of May, everyone sounds almost identical to their old 4Kids voices. The only major difference I can detect is the fact that the PUSA cast knows how to emote. I haven't looked up who's doing what voice now, but whoever plays Ash has pretty much blown Veronica Taylor right out of the water by actually having him yell when he has to. When Jessie, James, and Meowth get riled up in this episode, they sound believably angry. When May cowers in fear, she sounds understandably frightened. I no longer get the impression of actors reading their lines offscreen while the characters move their mouths - for the first time in years, it actually feels like a properly acted cartoon.

Plus, that talk about how PUSA was going to fill in the gaps in the music score? That must have been scrapped at the last minute. Boy, was I relieved to hear sweet, sweet silence at select moments in this episode. There are times when the action doesn't need any musical accompaniment, and while 4Kids couldn't recognize that, I'm glad to see that PUSA does. The script seems better too - in addition to no longer having that dumbed down air about it, the scriptwriters took the opportunity to get a little clever here and there. As a classic rock fan, I particularly laughed at James' KISS reference. And in terms of digital paint, I'm happy to see that it appeared to be absent from this episode entirely - all the text was still on all the signs, and even though it's still that 4Kids-commissioned gibberish, at least PUSA didn't erase it under the assumption that actual text would be too challenging for children to comprehend.

One thing I noticed was that the episode was split into three acts instead of its usual two. I assume this is Cartoon Network's doing, since that's the same format that a lot of their other shows follow, but that means that the eyecatch is now completely gone. I didn't expect it to remain intact, really, but the fact that it also gets rid of the patronizingly erroneous Trainer's Choice is more of a blessing than I could hope for. Without a juvenile game during the commercial breaks, the show retains a little more dignity. Yeah, dignity - that's what PUSA is giving this show. It's a nice change of pace from the norm.

As for the episode itself, it's probably not the best way to start a season. It's a fairly average filler, with nothing really remarkable aside from Wobbuffet's infatuation with Kirlia (which I found hilarious, by the way). It comes to a rather predictable ending, too. Still, a filler is a filler, and I'm not one to dwell on stuff like this - I say, bring on the next episode. With 4Kids firmly out the door, I'm ready for it.

alexanderrobertbarkas
10th September 2006, 9:41 PM
That ghost does look like a Haunter, only a tiny bit different shade of purple. I like May, Ash and Meowth's new voices, but Max and James don't sound as good.

Kamex
10th September 2006, 10:40 PM
Frankly, if I hadn't been told that there had been a change of cast, I don't think I would have known the difference. I really don't know what the heck everyone's gotten so worked up about - with the possible exception of May, everyone sounds almost identical to their old 4Kids voices.
Are you serious? Sure, many of the voices were pretty good imitations, but I don't see how it's possible to not tell the difference (unless you didn't watch the dub often).

The script seems better too - in addition to no longer having that dumbed down air about it, the scriptwriters took the opportunity to get a little clever here and there. As a classic rock fan, I particularly laughed at James' KISS reference.
Y'know, 4Kids did put in their occasional outside references and mature, inside jokes at times.

One thing I noticed was that the episode was split into three acts instead of its usual two. I assume this is Cartoon Network's doing, since that's the same format that a lot of their other shows follow, but that means that the eyecatch is now completely gone. I didn't expect it to remain intact, really, but the fact that it also gets rid of the patronizingly erroneous Trainer's Choice is more of a blessing than I could hope for. Without a juvenile game during the commercial breaks, the show retains a little more dignity. Yeah, dignity - that's what PUSA is giving this show. It's a nice change of pace from the norm.
KidsWB's Pokemon had three commercial breaks too, they just had their first one early on in the show. And while Trainer's Choice was rather immature for the older viewers, it did give the show some more originality.

Jesse GS the II
10th September 2006, 11:05 PM
Are you serious? Sure, many of the voices were pretty good imitations, but I don't see how it's possible to not tell the difference (unless you didn't watch the dub often).

Actually, I don't. I swore off the 4Kids dub halfway through Season 7, and this is the first American episode I've watched since "Cruisin' for a Losin'". Still, I've heard more than my share of Taylor, Lillis, Stuart, and the gang over the years, and the PUSA crew is pretty darn close. Jessie, for instance, sounds virtually no different from her previous incarnation (which is nice, because hers was one of the voices I had the least amount of qualms with, even if it can't top Megumi Hayashibara's performance).

Y'know, 4Kids did put in their occasional outside references and mature, inside jokes at times.

Yeah, I know, and it was one of the few things I got a kick out of in their episodes. They didn't have much else going for them, though.

wobbanut
11th September 2006, 4:48 AM
I have to say, if it hadn't been for Wobbie, this episode would have gotten a lower rating from me. The voices were really rough in this episode (at least in "Sweet Baby James" they started to sound better), and it distracted from the episode. I LOVE James's new voice, and I've gotten used to the new Ash (at least I'm no longer cracking up at it), Brock is MUCH better, and Jessie's still spot on. Everyone else was all over the place. Both May and Max sounded normal in some spots and abnormal in others. And Meowth was HORRID. At least in SBJ he sounds better. At least some of the pokemon sounded the same (Wobbuffet sounded only a little different, Chimie was the same, hypno was the same)

As for Wobbie, he was AWESOME in this episode. :D I loved how he fell for kirlia and fought to save her, that was so sweet. I liked how the twerps were touched by him giving a flower to kirlie too. It was funny when Team Rocket knocked him out of the way to get the other pokemon too. LOL On a different note, it was sad that this is Chimecho's last motto for the foreseeable future. :(

Overall, 6/10. Wobbuffet DEFINITELY made the episode.

Hikozaru390
11th September 2006, 9:28 PM
I wish 4kids had just done this episode in "Advanced Battle", or not had BF at all in Advanced Battle, because this was a horrible way to start off "a brand new Pokemon adventure!" With filler? Come on. This was one of the better filler episodes, but the fact remains, it's filler.

Sweet Baby James should have started off Battle Frontier.

Oh, well. PUSA had to dub this, and dub this they did. Since I have nothing to compare it to, I can't tell you how faithful it was. I will tell you I heard a piece of music I haven't heard since "Pokemon: I choose you!" It made me cry from the nostalgia.

All in all, it was good filler, but it was filler none the less.

7.5/10

Jiggy37
12th September 2006, 12:03 AM
I loathe the new song.
Anyway, that notwithstanding, this episode felt a bit too unresolved to me--too many unfulfilled promises in too short a time period. The Ghost Pokemon get their peace and quiet, but are the Psychic Pokemon really happy in the end? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it. It feels more like they're dancing to try and convince themselves they're happy when they're not. And then the Wobbuffet and Kirlia story--so awesome, but the writers tossed it aside and trampled over it faster than the Psychic Pokemon over Wobbuffet itself.
I do appreciate the attempt at complexity, but, again, they just tried to do too much in a single episode and it didn't quite work out.

SheWhoLovesPineapples
12th September 2006, 3:38 AM
How is it 'weird' that they didn't relise the fake ghost thing resembled a Haunter? These are the same freaking kids who are stumped when Jessie puts on a pair of glasses

LOL good point!

PokeMaster Justin
14th September 2006, 3:57 PM
dogasu.bulbagarden.net

Comparisons up folks, get it while it's hot.

So what we have here is 4Kids Lite. The thing is about this whole thing how everything the "fighters" of 4Kids hatred are getting the EXACT same thing:

- Butchered Opening (god not even 4Kids Pokemon: World Was this bad)
- Renaming Side Characters
- Corny Lines
- Mistakes (lol in "their" first special too)
- REPLACED ALL MUSIC AND REMIXED 4KIDS CUES (please whatever who defends this as this was the main lolz 4Kids hate target).
- Pun Titles

But I guess you get to keep the scribbles and text in the background if that really makes you feel that much better, and you get 4 seconds here and there added to the ending because there are no commerical bumps (Who's That Pokemon/ Trainer Choice/ Eye Catches). So ...what exactly was gained?

Gravy
14th September 2006, 4:46 PM
So ...what exactly was gained?
The satisfaction that 4Kids lost one of their biggest cash cows?

Ha-cha-cha! :D

Shift
14th September 2006, 10:09 PM
dogasu.bulbagarden.net

Comparisons up folks, get it while it's hot.

So what we have here is 4Kids Lite. The thing is about this whole thing how everything the "fighters" of 4Kids hatred are getting the EXACT same thing:

- Butchered Opening (god not even 4Kids Pokemon: World Was this bad)
- Renaming Side Characters
- Corny Lines
- Mistakes (lol in "their" first special too)
- REPLACED ALL MUSIC AND REMIXED 4KIDS CUES (please whatever who defends this as this was the main lolz 4Kids hate target).
- Pun Titles

But I guess you get to keep the scribbles and text in the background if that really makes you feel that much better, and you get 4 seconds here and there added to the ending because there are no commerical bumps (Who's That Pokemon/ Trainer Choice/ Eye Catches). So ...what exactly was gained?
There was one mistake in that comparison, and it was this:
"It's funny, really; I never knew that the word 'promise' meant 'an unidentified PUSA employee of unknown rank made what was probably an off-hand comment to a webmaster of a Pokémon fansite.' I guess Webster's has some revising to do."
It wasn't stated in private, despite what Pokebeach said; you can actually hear in the Comicon panel recording he posted that it was publicly stated by Lawrence Neves, who works with PUSA and is the editorial director of Pokemon.com.

Ash's Pika Pal
20th September 2006, 2:55 AM
I didn't really like this episode. It felt to different, it felt like something was missing. That fake Haunter was just to weird. What was up with Meowth? "I wish I had a beagle this morning".
Wobuffet was at least cute with Kirlia.

Pokemonger49777
27th October 2006, 8:28 PM
Okay wasn't that like the first episode? It got boring after the first 2 times they showed it. Oh, how I long for tomorrow for the next episodes!

Geodude
28th October 2006, 7:02 AM
What was up with Meowth? "I wish I had a beagle this morning".
Not beagle, bagel.

mistywaters
31st October 2006, 7:11 PM
i don't like any of their voices in Battle Frontier that was a good episode though. Meowth's voice didn't seem to change to my point of view.

CyberCubed
31st October 2006, 8:49 PM
Aside from Ash, the majority of the voices sound very close to the originals.

Pacman
5th December 2006, 4:17 PM
It was a OK episode. I didn't really care to much for this.

Poke-J
2nd February 2007, 6:08 PM
Hey Does the voice actors change in this episode?

Knight_Ram
7th February 2007, 8:09 AM
Yup they sure do. You will eventually get use to them though.

redmoon
7th February 2007, 6:31 PM
ya thats true

Wynaut?
15th March 2007, 12:54 PM
I'm 20 seconds into this one... The new voices are a little cringe-worthy (May sounds more grown up and Brock sounds like he's gonna hit you).

I hope I get used to them...

-Espacio-
11th April 2007, 10:34 PM
This episode was great, but i think May's new voice was kind of cracky and she sounded really scared 0.o

~*Olivertwist*~

Dark Arceus
31st May 2008, 8:56 AM
I liked the storyline about Wobbafet chasing Kirlia, but I was kinda disappointed when Team Rocket said there was no such thing as ghosts. Ghjost pokemon have been around for seasons, it's not like they're brand new, is it?

Kuroshi
31st May 2008, 2:02 PM
Team Rocket was talking about "real" ghosts, not ghost type Pokémon.

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 9:40 PM
Ugh. The first episode of the terrible voice actors >_< But I liked this one though. I was really angry when Wobbuffet didn't get the girl. He wasn't even near Team Rocket when they got blasted off but he was seen flying with them anyway. Bleh.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 12:05 PM
yeah this episode got a few new voice actors, i had to get used to it.

Littlemyuu
13th March 2009, 1:57 AM
Nice episode, always like ghost Pokemon

Shiny Rokon
5th April 2009, 9:49 AM
Abra so super cute in this, we actually see it move. I don't mind the new voice actors, in general i think the voices are good, i didn't like max or ash's voice at first, but ash's voice actor seems to have improved since this episode and now i like it. Meowth's voice was a bit average too, team rocket i think was done well though! They are all fine now though, its just until they got use to them.
I wonder if it would have been better if they made new voices for them rather than try and redo the previous voices or make them as similar as possible...

Tiigon
26th April 2009, 10:18 PM
The voice actors are mostly good, but May sounds older than she is, and James sounds absolutely terrible.

cg_25
26th May 2009, 10:01 PM
First time seeing this episode.

Criticism:

IMO...

Brock sounds good
Jessie sounds good
Meowth sounds good
James's voice fits the character and is close to what it needs to be
May is awful, sounds older now
Max is awful; nothing similar
And you simply cannot replace ash.

To me Team Rocket and Brock have kept their personality. But for May, Max, and Ash I will forever now look at them differently. I keep thinking to myself; is that how the old ash ketchum would say things... not a chance.

CyberCubed
26th May 2009, 10:08 PM

To me Team Rocket and Brock have kept their personality. But for May, Max, and Ash I will forever now look at them differently. I keep thinking to myself; is that how the old ash ketchum would say things... not a chance.

lol, May's voice is relatively close to her original.

Ash's voice improves tremendously as the show goes on, so it is a bad start but gets better.

cg_25
26th May 2009, 10:11 PM
First time seeing this episode.

Criticism:

IMO...

Brock sounds good
Jessie sounds good
Meowth sounds good
James's voice fits the character and is close to what it needs to be

Surfer_Dude
25th October 2009, 11:01 AM
The flashback was kinda sad... ;_;
Anyways abra was really cool in this episode, all it did was sleep! :D

Lorde
26th October 2009, 9:30 AM
The first official episode dubbed by PUSA. I must admit, it was better than I thought. I remember the day it premiered on Cartoon Network and how I thought this would be a terrible episode, but it wasn't too bad for a first attempt. May's voice did sound like the 4Kids dub voice which I thought was great. Max sounded a little more annoying, but Brock sounded better I believe. Ash, James, and Meowth were just terrible. Anyway, the premise of this episode was generic but we got some action near the end to brighten things up. 7/10.

CyberCubed
5th November 2009, 5:47 AM
Man going back to this episode now after watching so many DP episodes, I'm so used to the new voices that these don't even sound "different" anymore.

Although Ash's VA made drastic improvements over time went on. There really was a lack of emotion in Ash's voice back here, thankfully it improves as we get late into BF and DP.

Good filler overall though. LMAO, this episode is both nostalgic and interesting for so many reasons.

HoennMaster
5th November 2009, 6:40 AM
Funny, everyone seems to love this episode and I find it boring.

disposable_heroes
8th November 2009, 12:54 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

I just LOVED how the creators of the episode added the "ironic twist" in this episode. When the Psychic-types were locked by Team Rocket, their own Pokémon freed the Psychic-types. Wobbuffet was SO in love with Kirlia and wanted to get it out, freeing all the Psychic-types.

Wobbuffet is now my favorite animé Pokémon.

Ash-kid
30th November 2009, 5:15 PM
It was a good episode.

It was actually one of the only episodes that Wobbuffet could leave, but in the end it stayed in the series. it was depends on Jessie, but she hasn't released it.

TehGr81
21st March 2010, 3:00 PM
When I first saw this episode I couldn't help but think that the characters sounded different. Little did I know that I was right.

Painkiller2001
18th November 2010, 2:40 AM
I particularly laughed at James' KISS reference.

Yes! I'm not the only one who noticed this!

--

Just watched this episode this morning. I didn't think YTV would go right into Sinnoh League Victors right away, seeings how (here in Canada) it's only 2-3 episodes in.

Good/favorite points in the episode:
(not neccesarily in order)

- In the beginning, Ash's voice sounded exactly the same as it does in Battle Dimensions/Galactic Battles/Sinnoh League Victors. But I later noticed that it was slightly different.
- Team Rocket looked high for a little while.
- To me, Duskull will always remind of the Nintendo character, Boo.
- Haunter is a a lot smaller than I remember.
- Haven't seen Drowzee, Hypno, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Gastly or Haunter in quite a while.
- The first time I saw this episode I wasn't really giving my full attention, so I never really took any notice to Abra's voice. But, now that I gave my full attention to this episode, I was actually able to take notice of it. I did not expect it's voice to sound that high-pitched and adorable! I thought it would sound just a bit deeper than that. The scene where it (and all the other psychic Pokemon) got abandoned was just so heart-breaking. I didn't expect Abra to get all teary-eyed. It was so sad. *Hugs Abra*. Too bad it never spoke in the real world. Just the dream world.
- Ash's voice sounds raspy when he's yelling at this point in the show.
- The Wobbuffet crush on Kirlia? Not one of the greatset Pokemon crush's ever. I've seen better.
- What was that attack all the ghost Pokemon used at one time? To me, it looked mostly like Shadow Ball. Was it already addressed what attack this was in this thread?
- In the end, Abra looked cute with it's headphones on.

Tyranitar Rules
9th December 2010, 5:28 PM
How´s that nobody has said this before?? WOBBUFFET FINALLY USED AN ATTACKING MOVE. It broke the cage with Tackle/Double-Edge/Skull Bash/Head-Butt whatever

It wasent a attack move: Wobbuffet has used 3 moves in the entire series...
These moves are:
Counter
Bide
Mirror Coat

It was probably not a real attack.

Tyranitar Rules
9th December 2010, 5:31 PM
---------EDIT: Sorry for multi post, bad computer

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 9:55 AM
Battle Frontier theme song was good! and a good filler to start as well

G50
26th April 2011, 1:26 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Kirlia's Reflect. The scenes with Kirlia and Wobbuffet were really cool. Wobbuffet went out of its way to help out Kirlia and the others when in the cage, even though the reaction was odd. Interesting how Wobbuffet didn't use a real attack, but attacked the cage. It was interesting to see Kirlia not reject Wobbuffet. The Abra's dream part was so cool. Abra's protective green sphere was really cool.

47/100

MidnightMelody
17th May 2011, 9:48 PM
God I forgot how terrible Sarah used to be. Her Ash is so much better now :) Funny episode.

Vernikova
2nd September 2012, 1:50 AM
The first episode with te new voices. Well, as new as six years ago is. This was a rather boring episode. There wasn't really anything interesting going on in this episode.

Fulgore2005
21st September 2012, 1:01 PM
I remember watching this. Back then, the change between the 4kids and TPCi cast was very jarring. I'll admit their performances were subpar, but I have heard worse dub voices.

Anyway, I thought the story was actually quite interesting. A deserted town with only ghost Pokemon and several other types living there.

PokemonNation2000
13th June 2013, 3:51 AM
Oh yeah, the episode when the show went completely downhill for me. *sigh*

Things haven't felt the same since this episode began, IMO.

I know what you're thinking: "Oh, Dwail always hated the TPCi voice cast right from this point onwards."

Surprisingly, I really didn't, people. I only began really disliking them when they started deviating so strongly from the 4Kids VAs, which occurred in the middle portion of BF up until the second season of DP.

To me, though, this marks the point where the show doesn't even feel remotely like the same show anymore, with a few exceptions in VAs here and there, IMO.

Okay, yeah, this cast is not as good as the 4Kids cast to me at all, but that doesn't mean I thought they were bad here. Truthfully, I think some started better here, than how they are nowadays. O_O

Ash: Easily a NO. Just a big fat no. The voice itself...surprisingly, I didn't hate it. The emotion was god awful, though, but I did like Sarah was going for Veronica here. Wish she'd kept the voice but worked on the emotion myself, looking back. 5.5/10 is a fair score. Probably the worst of the replacement VAs to me here.

Brock: Easily a YES. Wow, I still can't believe this is Bill Rogers. Because this was VERY good. Man, why and I mean WHY didn't he stick with this voice? I mean, it's lacking Eric's rasp and emotion, but the voice itself is VERY GOOD and actually sounds like a 15 year old kid. That's who Brock is, people. 9/10 is fair. Best of the replacement VAs to me here.

May: Another big fat NO. Seriously, Michele doesn't even TRY in this role. Seriously, there's no defense for this crap. Anyone can see this is just Hajime Yagi from "The World of Narue." Okay, Taylor was just using her voice for Narue itself, but she was May before, so it was okay. It was a pre-established voice for her. This isn't even a REMOTELY acceptable or passable imitation. Not even trying, IMO. The voice is okay. 6/10 is more than fair here.

Max: Barely PASS. It's...okay, actually. Kayzie sounded a lot more like Amy Birnbaum here than she does later on, and it shows. It's a passable impression, yet it's not good, either. 7/10 is fair.

James: Another YES. Pretty good, but it's lacking in staying power and presence. Ever since this episode Jimmy has made it sound like Eric's James got a cold and so this is now his voice. I will say that he could actually ACT back then, though. 8/10 is fair.

Jessie: Another YES. Excellent. Hate the high-pitched squealing, but besides that, easily almost on par with Rachael's version and fits Jessie very well. A 9/10 is fair. Tied with Brock for the best replacement VA at the time.

Meowth: Slightly a NO. Okay, I guess. Too pirate-y and artificial for my tastes, yet not bad, either. A 6.5/10 for me.

Dawn+Serena Fan
26th June 2013, 10:46 PM
It was a pretty good for a filler episode and a bit emotional too. Abra's flashback was a little depressing.

PokemontrainerY
24th July 2013, 4:56 PM
This is the first TPCI-dubbed episode. Back then, I thought Ash's voices was terrible. There was no emotion in Ash's voice and he sounded bad, but as time went on, Sarah's Voice acting improved and now I have no problem with Ash's voice anymore.

Anyway, this was a okay filler. Abra's flashback was kinda depressing. I liked the expressions on Jessie, James and Mewoth's faces when Wobbufett released those Pokemon from their prison.