PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Baby James (424)

Serebii
13th October 2005, 4:31 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/424.jpgSweet Baby James!

Almost at the Battle Frontier, Ash & Co. have to rush to the nearest Pokémon Center due to Munchlax being ill. However all they find is a mansion with two old people in with their Mime Jr. However this house used to belong to James who's Chimecho is also ill. With Team Rocket invading the mansion, James is hesitant to fight Ash & Co. and the servants of the Mansion. Will his history be unraveled?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/424.shtml)

Discuss

Serebii
13th October 2005, 4:41 PM
Right, got some bad news

It seems James left his Chimecho at the Mansion and took Manene

Considering Chimecho is in the intro and ending with Manene, it raises an eyebrow

♥~Darkness Within~♥
13th October 2005, 4:44 PM
Right, unless my translation is wrong

Seems James left his Chimecho at the Mansion and took ManeneSo ur saying this james masion and he left Chicmeco ang Got Manane :o

CyberCubed
13th October 2005, 4:50 PM
This is very disturbing news indeed. One must wonder how drugged up the writers were when making this episode.

MaskedManAbsolkid
13th October 2005, 4:58 PM
I knew he'd leave Chimecho and take Manene! Bad idea, why couldn't he keep both with him?

jolteonjak
13th October 2005, 4:59 PM
Sounds like a real tear-jerker seeing James leave his Chimecho behind. I happened to like how much James cared for it. I hope they don't make Manene be another of James' dream pokemon from when he was a lad.

Blaziken master
13th October 2005, 5:07 PM
Jeez the writers never fail to suprise us don't they?Its weird because both pokemon are in the intro

Serebii
13th October 2005, 5:08 PM
And people say the writers are too predictable now :p

Factory Head Noland
13th October 2005, 5:12 PM
I'm shocked! James loved (LOVED) Chimecho, why would he leave it?!

I will miss the chime at the end of the motto, Manene better do something good at the end of the intro.

The writers have just knocked one out of the park with this one, total shock and surprise. I really loved Chimecho aswell...

Gravy
13th October 2005, 5:12 PM
LMAO. My, my, my. What a surprising development this has turned out to be, ne?

Writer 1: Hey, you know we gave Kojiro that Chiirin AGES ago, right?
Writer 2: Oh, that thing? Man, we sure let the animation crew off easy with that one. It barely ever moves, haw haw *choke on coffee*
Writer 1: Yeah, thats really getting my goat. Why should THEY get it easy, whilst we're stuck writing boring plotlines?
Writer 2: Well, if you're so frustrated, just replace the thing with something thats constantly moving. Like...uhhh...Manene, that mimic clown thing!
Writer 1:N-n-n-naniiii!?! But we haven't even had Chiriin DO anything thus far! Isn't it kinda awkward to dump it in favour of another marketting gimmick? :/
Writer 2:....So?
Writer 1: ...well, can't be logic like that. So, up for writing a script at the lunch hour and spending the rest of the day playing the Xbox?
Writer 2: Word.

But, y'know, despite another cheap way to shove marketting gimmicks down our throats, it still looks like its going to be a halfway decent episode ^.^
And I do think Manene has a lot of potential in the humour department, so perhaps its for that best? Having that thing imitate all of the Rocket's funky body-language and spaced-out expressions sounds like fun to moi~

.Bambi.
13th October 2005, 5:19 PM
Chiriin...GONE?! ;o;

How could James leave Chimecho? That's like...Ash evolving Pikachu or something [I know not to that extreme but STILL!]
He loved Chimecho, he would've done anything for it, so I *really* don't understand why he would have just...left it. Especially for a stupid Manene >.>

But as Serebii has said, Chimecho is still in the Opening and Ending...sooo something may be up. And if Chimecho is in the Intro/End and is still being written out of the show, what hope does that leave for Dustox?

WHY MUST THE BATTLE FRONTIER BE SO HORRIBLE?!

Blazing Charmander
13th October 2005, 5:22 PM
Chimecho... GONE?! I can't believe the writers now (well in a sense I can. They are the same writers that ruined the Hoenn League and so on). Where this could have been a turning point for Chimecho's character, they go and get rid of the poor thing. I reckon it would have been great in battle.

However, along with the rest of you guys, I am puzzled as to why both Manene AND Chimecho are in the Intro. Either Chimecho will be making a comeback (please, writers!) or....

.... the writers are officially on drugs.

EDIT: Saying this though, Manene does look kinda cool. Maybe we will all come to love it instead of seeing it as a thing for marketing. But still, Chimecho, come back!!

V Faction
13th October 2005, 5:26 PM
But, y'know, despite another cheap way to shove marketting gimmicks down our throats, it still looks like its going to be a halfway decent episode ^.^

Stop shoving the "Shoving 'blank blank' down our throats" saying down our throats!

It's so obvious this would happen.

Gravy
13th October 2005, 5:47 PM
Stop shoving the "Shoving 'blank blank' down our throats" saying down our throats!
Hey, its got a better ring to it than 'Cram profitable characters into thy gullet' :P

....or has it?....

Medea
13th October 2005, 5:50 PM
*gasp*...Holy crap on a stick!

Just when I was getting used to Chimecho. I can't wait to see what happens. More importantly, I can't wait to read what Heracross has to say about this!

CyberCubed
13th October 2005, 5:55 PM
I seriously hope Manene doesn't replace Chimecho in the Motto now. I guess Manene is going to be one of those pokes that constantly come out of their Pokeball eh?

The writers are ruining James' character even more. After all the development of him and his connection with Chimecho, for him to just abandon it...it just completely ruins James' character. Guess all those scenes between James and Chimecho were utterly useless then eh?

Serebii
13th October 2005, 5:58 PM
I dont think its as simple as just abandoning it

S.Suikun
13th October 2005, 6:10 PM
Well, isn't that dandy. Why the hell are the writers breaking up everybody's teams? If anything's gotten old, it's Wobbuffet, who aside from last week's episode, hasn't done anything worthwhile since Johto. If you have a good tearjerker episode going, why kill it?

At least tell me there were references to the cast of "Holy Matrimony".

Kanadian Kyuubi
13th October 2005, 6:16 PM
Yeah, I got the prediction right, Chimecho was left at the house, and Manene joins TR, uh oh!

Thriller
13th October 2005, 6:23 PM
Wow its only 12:20 where I live and already we know what happened. I'm sure gonna miss Chimecho :(.

I'll bet the anti-4th Gen advertisers won't like this one.

MondoTR
13th October 2005, 6:29 PM
Chimecho was cool, sucks that it leaves. But at least James got another Pokemon.

ChaosMage
13th October 2005, 6:51 PM
NO! It can't be! Chimecho cannot be gone! And James STILL has less pokemon than Jessie! This better be temporary!

V Faction
13th October 2005, 7:03 PM
Hey, its got a better ring to it than 'Cram profitable characters into thy gullet' :P

....or has it?....
You absolutely MUST replace it with this wonderful new saying. 'Gullet'... priceless!

Now for something completely on topic.~

I have no clue how they plan to integrate Manene. Chimecho was barely doing anything at it was. So now they change it up (for yet another new gen. Pokemon)? Batman is ulalulaelualeualing in his grave right now.

And dear gawrsh, what about Cacnea? EVOLVE IT OR DROP IT. And Wobbuffet? WORSE. Cacnea's shtick has gotten OLDER THAN JESUS RIDING A DINOSAUR and Wobbuffet's only funny on occasion.

ShoOCha0tic
13th October 2005, 8:24 PM
im soooo heart broken!! Chimecho was sooo cute ='( anyways, i hope Manene acutally does something in the series other than dance and be happy -_-

Sharpshooter
13th October 2005, 8:27 PM
Not sure what the writers saw bad in Chimecho. Usually when we get a move this early for one of the newer additions it must mean the writers felt the pokémon didn't appeal at all to the show.

Flamez
13th October 2005, 8:31 PM
Man never expected this, Chimecho left behind. Im too sad to explain how i feel. Im hoping that it will return soon. :(

Meganium
13th October 2005, 8:31 PM
CRAP! I loved that little guy. How is Manene supposed to show the awesomeness that Chimeco had. It was rare, underused, and hurt James on a regular basis (its not that I don't like James, but watching his pokes injuring him is just classic). What's Manene gonna do, tickle him in pain. Oh well, as long as Cacnea isn't going anywhere for a while I can live. Who knows, Manene could be great. We all wanted to see James with a new buddy, and it looks like Maney is it.

Gravy
13th October 2005, 8:37 PM
Not sure what the writers saw bad in Chimecho. Usually when we get a move this early for one of the newer additions it must mean the writers felt the pokémon didn't appeal at all to the show.
My guess? They just couldn't think of anything for it to do. It's running gag (which seems to have dissapeared all of a sudden) was essentially the same as Cacnea's, and thanks to the idea of James not allowing it to battle, it could never really do anything attack-wise. Heal bell was an exception, but when was the last time that move was ever used?
Though saying that, Wobbuffet doesn't really do much either. But I suppose he's become a more recognisable member of the gang or something, and thus can't be removed~

Seems they believe Manene will have more luck with its running gag, which is obviously going to be that mimicry stuff. Still, I wouldn't say that justifies kicking Chimecho off altogether~

JazzJazz
13th October 2005, 9:14 PM
Damn, I always loved it's little call of "chime, chime"... but I'd say that James would only left it behind for the right reasons, perhaps it was too ill to go with him and needed more time to recuperate.

CyberCubed
13th October 2005, 9:31 PM
You know what's funny? People thought that Dustox would be leaving because it wasn't shown in the opening and because it's rival (Beautifly) was also not in the show anymore.

But instead, Chimecho leaves (who IS in the opening) and to make matters even more confusing is that Manene is shown WITH Chimecho in the opening.

Yes, the writers manage to surprise us sometimes, but almost all those suprises happen to be bad ones. (Ash coming in the Top 8 again, May gettting a Squirtle, Brock leaving Ludicolo and James leaving Chimecho)...sheesh.

I would say Dustox's days are numbered too, it'll probably be released somewhere before the gang leave Kanto. Maybe to join some Venemoth or something...bah.

ŁańkaŃ
13th October 2005, 11:19 PM
You know what's funny? People thought that Dustox would be leaving because it wasn't shown in the opening and because it's rival (Beautifly) was also not in the show anymore.

But instead, Chimecho leaves (who IS in the opening) and to make matters even more confusing is that Manene is shown WITH Chimecho in the opening.

Yes, the writers manage to surprise us sometimes, but almost all those suprises happen to be bad ones. (Ash coming in the Top 8 again, May gettting a Squirtle, Brock leaving Ludicolo and James leaving Chimecho)...sheesh.

I would say Dustox's days are numbered too, it'll probably be released somewhere before the gang leave Kanto. Maybe to join some Venemoth or something...bah.

Yes...it is said that Chimecho had to leave...but like Serebii pointed out...it being in the intro or ending...(lol...dont' remember)...so...it might come back...out of no where...I HOPE...but who knows...

but this should be an emotional ep...to look forward to seeing...

i'm just happy...we finally made it to the MUDKIP ONE...i hope no sadness liek this one is...lol

Momoko Lover
13th October 2005, 11:31 PM
Either the writers were on crack that day or Chimecho just wasn't as popular as Manene in Japan. I really wanted James to have three pokemon but it seems like the writers want James to be a sidekick to Jessie.

ghost master
13th October 2005, 11:32 PM
Yes...it is said that Chimecho had to leave...but like Serebii pointed out...it being in the intro or ending...(lol...dont' remember)...so...it might come back...out of no where...I HOPE...but who knows...

but this should be an emotional ep...to look forward to seeing...

i'm just happy...we finally made it to the MUDKIP ONE...i hope no sadness liek this one is...lol its in both the opening and the ending. This of course is me in denial hoping that it wont be forever. Also maybe the writers will have James act differently since he left Chimecho. Since all of his life he had wanted one and when he got it he had given it away. Maybe we will see a new side of James. Although I honestly doubt the writers would put that much depth into a character.

ChaosMage
13th October 2005, 11:55 PM
Chimecho has joined the ranks of pokemon with wasted potential, and dumped despite other pokemon belonging to their trainer being far more overshowcased and redundant.

Other honourable mentions:
Glalie
Torkoal
Ludicolo
Lickitung
May's Bulbasaur
Heracross
Geodude
Crobat
Onix

Chimecho has been screwed, because the writers robbed it of its potential!

The Big Al
14th October 2005, 12:04 AM
*Wait for Gravy to draw a Manene on steroids standing on a flattened Chimecho.*

That sucks. After everything James and Chimecho have been through, it gets dumped. There's unpredictable and then there's...this. The poor windchime.

C-Man
14th October 2005, 12:08 AM
Wow so this is what heppens in the jap episode? Man I wish I could see it. Here in the U.S.A are still in the eppy where he's gonna fight Tate & Liza. Hmmm he leaves Chimecho, oh no , I'm gonna miss that guy

PDL
14th October 2005, 12:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Pufflizard/emot-wtc.gif

after learning about Disney's plans for Cinderella 3, I never thought I'd have to use this emoticon again...

Yamato-san
14th October 2005, 12:57 AM
WTF!!!! There's plans for a Cinderella 3?

Chimecho has joined the ranks of pokemon with wasted potential, and dumped despite other pokemon belonging to their trainer being far more overshowcased and redundant.

Other honourable mentions:
Glalie
Torkoal
Ludicolo
Lickitung
May's Bulbasaur
Heracross
Geodude
Crobat
Onix

Chimecho has been screwed, because the writers robbed it of its potential!

what about Bayleef? Rather, Satoshi's entire Jouto roster for that matter. Sure, they got showcasing, but it was in the worst saga ever, and when it came time for the 8th gym and the league, they got seriously screwed over (and still no redemption). Well, at least you mentioned Heracross. Satoshi's Lapras also had potential as being much more than just a ferry.

The Big Al
14th October 2005, 1:17 AM
You forgot Pidgeot. The poor bird was reduced to wind generator and as soon as it gained some power, Ash left it and we haven't seen hide nor feather since.

V Faction
14th October 2005, 1:40 AM
Don't forget his Feazyble. What's that? Who's Feazyble? You mean you don't remember?

Exactly.

Missingno. Master
14th October 2005, 2:11 AM
OK, James getting Manene I can take....

But leaving Chimecho behind? HOLY CRAP! What the hell were those writers smoking?!

CyberCubed
14th October 2005, 2:15 AM
WTF!!!! There's plans for a Cinderella 3?

Wait...there was a Cinderella 2? :o

What happened in that one? Did her evil step mother come back to get revenge or something?

PDL
14th October 2005, 2:51 AM
Wait...there was a Cinderella 2? :o

What happened in that one? Did her evil step mother come back to get revenge or something?

not really, but that's the plot of Cinderella 3

Squirtle_007
14th October 2005, 3:00 AM
Wow ... now that´s really sad ... here in Mexico Kojirou just got Chimecho, and in Japan is now gone ... well ... I want to see the good side of this:

* That´s give Kojirou more character development leaving his beloved Chimecho with people who would take care of it and preventing it for more blasting off
* That leaves Chimecho out of Musashi´s reach. I remember in the Minamo Contest how Combusken attacked it and I almost cry when the little wind chime was hit

I gonna miss Chimecho, but seeing the title of the episode makes a little sense, think about this (I just hope not see me to logical (^_^)):

House of Relaxation + Heal Bell = A use to Chimecho

And in another hand, Manene´s appeareance would be the foreshadowing for the next contest:
Manene vs. Munchlax, two 4th. generation baby Pokémon facing each other (hopefully) in the final match for the ribbon

PlusleMinun
14th October 2005, 4:18 AM
This really stinks. In America James has only had Chimecho for about 12 episodes. It is sad that he gets rid of it. I seriously hope Chimecho comes back, even though there is no point in it. I was suspecting that Jessie would get Manene, anyway.

MagicBox
14th October 2005, 5:20 AM
I couldn't be happier that James caught Manene. I just hope it does something, unlike Chimecho did. Speaking of Chimecho....

What is up with the writers? I seriously think they have forgotten that Pokemon trainers can have up to 6 Pokemon in their parties because they won't even let James have 3. Why did the feel the need to get rid of Chimecho (or Ludicolo, ahem) when James had more than enough room in his party for both of them. Besides, it was Chimecho. James loves that thing. I bet in the next few episodes, he won't even feel sad that he got rid of it. He'll just forget all about it like the other characters do. Whoopie.

Wait...there was a Cinderella 2? :oYes there was, but don't even bother with it. It's an example of how truly bad something with the Disney name on it can be. I have always been a fan of Disney movies, and I always will be, but that sorry excuse of a movie isn't even worth a single viewing.

Briememory
14th October 2005, 5:48 AM
I would have hoped for James to pick up or even mention his Growlithe. Besides, this is a second Pokemon he had as a little kid. What a waste...

Golden Darkness
14th October 2005, 6:22 AM
Ok.. seen the episode, and read up on people's thoughts at BMG.

Apparently, the mansion in question is an vacation mansion. I kinda figured it was the case. And don't rich people sometimes own more than one house?

Anyway, the old people in the episode, they are the caretakers of the mansion, which btw looks like a castle somewhat.

Since the major point has already been said, the other notable thing about this episode is that when Jessie is caught trying to steal the Pokemon from the mansion grounds, James and Ash actually team up to blast her off with Cacnea and Phanpy respectively.

CyberCubed
14th October 2005, 6:23 AM
How does the scene play out exactly when James decides to leave Chimecho there? I hope it's very emotional.

Golden Darkness
14th October 2005, 6:35 AM
Seems to be emotional. Both James and Chimecho were in tears.

Anyway... Manene coming along was kinda an accident. James was trying to get Chimecho's Pokeball for the caretakers to have when a couple of empty Pokeballs fell out of his pocket. Then Manene walks up to one and hits the capture trigger button, and then you know.. it's captured.

Eric Cartman
14th October 2005, 8:11 AM
This is seriously ****ed up. I knew the writers were dense, but I can't believe it has gone to this all time low.

Ethereal
14th October 2005, 8:24 AM
I really fail to see the big problem with James dumping Chimecho for Manene. Let's face it, Chimecho didn't do a dang thing other than do a cry after the Team Rocket motto....And its Heal Bell like, once during its lifespan.

Other than that, the dumb thing was dead weight....Just like in the games. It takes WAY too long to find that thing, and then you discovered it's crap. Not just Parasect crap, but LUVDISC crap. Yes, Chimey is THAT bad.

But back on topic, Chimecho just served no purpose. The writers saw that they screwed up with it, so they decided to give James a Manene, a Pokemon that they can do a lot with. They also see the same with Mudkip, apparently, judging from what we're hearing about the episode after this. ;/

Wind Waker
14th October 2005, 9:52 AM
Yes, chimecho did nothing, but I well appreciated it being there. The idea did take me by surpise, and although i hate it, kudos to the writers, not too much though. manene better very well do everything chimecho couldn't, and the ep better damn well bring me top tears when i see it,

Chatsy
14th October 2005, 12:22 PM
Did James decide to leave Chimecho behind because it was still ill, or didn't he want to take the risk of it getting hurt anymore?

Either way, Munchlax was ill too, but otherwise it got no honorable scenery. 8D
I am a little "WTF" at James willing to team up with Ash to blast Jessie and Meowth away. He must've really had respect for the old couple and their mansion.
From what I could see of James' flashback of his childhood, he seems to have met the old couple before. Guess that explains the respect for them.

The animation truly has improved lately. What happened, did the budget go up or the animationcrew win a bet or something?

Lupin
14th October 2005, 1:07 PM
Well, that was unexcepted. James leaving his Chimecho behind. After he made such a big deal about getting it in the first place. It didn't even stay that long (well longer than some of Ash's pokemon, but you know what I mean).

How long do you think it will be before Jessie asks if she can borrow it for a contest?

The Big Al
14th October 2005, 1:09 PM
Anyway... Manene coming along was kinda an accident. James was trying to get Chimecho's Pokeball for the caretakers to have when a couple of empty Pokeballs fell out of his pocket. Then Manene walks up to one and hits the capture trigger button, and then you know.. it's captured.
You have got to be frakking me! That stupid clown pulls a Psyduck? Oy oy...*many oys later*...oy oy oy. This looked ike such a good episode but now it looks like a horrible one.

Flamez
14th October 2005, 9:31 PM
Seen the episode, and the farewell james and chimecho had was very emotional, they had flashbacks of how chimecho came with james and when jessie used it in the contest. We got to see a new side of james. Cacnea beat the living crap out of seviper.lol. It was confused when james told it to attack seviper. Manene was cute i dont like the fact that they left chimecho but i like it that james got manene although it imitating people could get annoying at some point, it got quite attached to james already. In my opinion a very nice episode you people should definetely watch it. Also i think james is the best damn character made.lol.

Thriller
14th October 2005, 9:37 PM
This must be the first time in the series James has made TR blast off even though he wasnt with them.

Who wants to bet that when 4Kids gets a hold of this episode they will have the twerps call James by himself 'Team Rocket' like they do all the time when they see either him or Jessie alone.

There was a Weepinbell in a flashback scene, could this be the same Victreebel we enjoyed during Johto?

Serebii
14th October 2005, 9:48 PM
No as we saw the Flashback where James caught that Weepinbell using Weezing

Dogasu
14th October 2005, 10:11 PM
I have a request guys; can we keep the memorials to Chimecho in our sigs and user titles to a minimum? When people who are trying to not get spoiled see sigs with people mourning the loss of Chimecho, they're going to figure out what happened. It's not fair to the people who are trying to avoid spoilers.

Thank you.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
14th October 2005, 10:20 PM
I just saw the Pics and wow that was one nice episode.

Revolutionary Destiny
14th October 2005, 10:33 PM
I just saw the Pics and wow that was one nice episode.

It really was a nice episode. The animation was really beautiful and the scenes between James and Chimecho were especially beautiful, as well as emotional. But I'm still confused as to why he left Chimecho behind even though he was crying over it.

JazzJazz
14th October 2005, 10:37 PM
But I'm still confused as to why he left Chimecho behind even though he was crying over it.

From the pictures it seems as though chimecho was still bed-ridden and was probably still needed time to recover.

The Big Al
14th October 2005, 10:47 PM
So Chimecho might come back once it's regained its health. Though then TR's team will be a bit Psychic heavy.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
14th October 2005, 10:52 PM
I just read James' character bio and I was thinking this: I was hoping Ash would get Manene so he could eventually have a Mr. Mime, just like his mother.

CyberCubed
14th October 2005, 11:04 PM
That would be repetitive. (But then again May getting a Bulbasaur, Squirtle, AND Munchlax are also repetitive since they're all Ash's Pokemon...but what the hell)

And yeah, if Chimecho is still in the opening with next weeks episode, at least we can hope to see it again sometime.

Gravy
14th October 2005, 11:19 PM
Despite Chimecho departing for who knows how long, and no real mention of past characters associated with James, this was a really good episode. Probably the best that the Battle Frontier saga has offered thus far infact. There were some really memorable scenes, and the music pieces chosen for them were perfect. Not to mention the animation was on top form. Character expressions, movement and attacks all looked splendid.
And of course, there was that huge chunk of character development for James, which deserves two thumbs up~

The emotional scenes between Chimecho and James, especially when they finally part ways, really did pull at my heartstrings. It was all very touching, and was a big breath of fresh air from the usual endings we get lately.
And my god, Manene is freaking adorable. I absolutely love its voice and imitations, especially when it copies James throwing Cacnea's pokéball and ordering attacks. Watch it shoot to the top of my favourite pokémon list. Best prevo ever, 'nuff said.

Jessie and Meowth's whole attitude really stunk I might add. I really wanted to strangle the both of them at times. Speaking of which, Cacnea pwning Seviper = awesome. Heh, they really did deserve that thrashing this time around :P

One thing I'd like to know is, how the hell did Ash know Phanpy has Hidden Power in its arsenal? He didn't have it use the move in a previous episode did he? Truth be told, I haven't really bothered to look into the one or two eps I managed to miss ^^;

S.Suikun
14th October 2005, 11:27 PM
Good to see James finally stick up for himself against Jessie. Probably the only time Cacnea will ever be victorious in battle. Chimecho looks absolutely adorable in the final few minutes of the episode. Unfortunately, this looks to be another flashback sequence which 4Kids will tinker with for absolutely no reason at all.

vaporeon89
14th October 2005, 11:35 PM
What attack used Cacnea to Seviper with phampy?

wobbanut
15th October 2005, 12:33 AM
*squeals* A sweet Team Rocket ending! Wow, we haven't had one of those in SO long. :D I'll really miss Chimecho so badly, but at least it's where James knows it's safe, and we'll still see it here in the U.S. for another year.

Also, wow, Cacnea attacked Seviper?! I mean, I know it did that in "The Bicker the Better" too, but this was different.

This episode looks AWESOME, even though I know it'll mean Chimecho's departure. Hey, the two groups getting along for a while, great TR material, and a sweet ending looks like it'll make 5 stars in my book.

Murgatroyd
15th October 2005, 1:24 AM
A few of the main points of the episode, c/p-ed from my post at BMG. A lot of them don't seem to have been covered in this thread yet:
-The mansion was one of Kojiro's family's "cottages". He used to love going there because it was the one place he could really get away from the "proper" upbringing his family was trying to inflict on him.
-The old man and woman are old servants who are quite good at taking care of sick and injured pokemon.
-Not wanting to disappoint the people who cared for him so much when he was a child, Kojiro tries to hide the fact that he's in Team Rocket, claiming instead that he's running a company, and that Musashi and Nyasu are his assistant and manager. At the end, he does admit the truth, and they are not disappointed in him.
-The episode deals something of a severe blow to Rocketshipping, or at least that subship which claims they'll ever get married. Kojiro is utterly appalled at the servants' initial assumption that Musashi is his wife. (His panicked denial includes something that translates more or less as "ANYTHING but that!")
-Kojiro gets the Twerps to agree to a truce: He, Musashi, and Nyasu won't do anything bad here, and the Twerps won't reveal that he's in Team Rocket. Musashi and Nyasu, however, keep doing or trying to do things, and this culminates in the battle where Kojiro rather handily defeats Musashi before asking Satoshi to deal the finishing blow.
-There are several good scenes showing how Kojiro interacts with people when he isn't being part of TR.
-Chiriin is left, after a well-done (if fairly standard) farewell scene, because TR can't afford to wait around any longer, but Chiriin isn't yet healed to the point that it can travel safely.
-As Kojiro is getting Chiriin's ball out to leave it with the servants, an empty ball falls out of his pocket, and Manene promptly jumps in.

greatfire
15th October 2005, 1:33 AM
I found very funny when James imagined how will be his life if he marries Jessie.
Also another good joke is that James called Ash by his nickname (Jari-Boy in japanese) and Ash actually responded to it.
The animation is good, especially when TR depart from the castle, but I found a mistake, or maybe a last minute change: When Ash & Co are departing in the wide shot James is clearly there, but not in the close-up shot. Look at the pictures.
The only problem lies in the plot: Ash & Co does almost nothing in this episode and their appearances are all a bit forced, it would have been better without them.

Murgatroyd
15th October 2005, 1:48 AM
The animation is good, especially when TR depart from the castle, but I found a mistake, or maybe a last minute change: When Ash & Co are departing in the wide shot James is clearly there, but not in the close-up shot. Look at the pictures.
I think the third figure in the wide shot is Manene, not James, and is not visible in the close-up because of camera angle.

The Big Al
15th October 2005, 1:55 AM
Episodes like this make you wonder why James remains with Jessie and Meowth. He's a brilliant Poke Ringer and would probably be an okay trainer or coordinator. He could make an honest living and actually get of his family's and Team Rocket's shadow. Jeesie and Meowth are what is dragging him down and making him a loser. I'd love to see him actually defect from Team Rocket and become a recurring character in the league or contests. Perhaps becoming a revival of Ash's or May's. How could such a kind soul be trapped in TR?

Geodude
15th October 2005, 5:09 AM
Exactly. This episode provides interesting character development for James, emphasizing his soft, caring side, and his love of those close to his family. Well, those servants practically are family to him, but you get the idea.

So Manene's shtick is that it imitates everything James does. Very cute. :)

I loved the part where James sent out Cacnea and it faced Ash & co, and James told it to attack Seviper instead, and Cacnea had this surprised reaction as if to say, "What?? Are you sure?" :D

JazzJazz
15th October 2005, 5:51 AM
So Manene's shtick is that it imitates everything James does. Very cute. :)

It'll be little things like that that'll make everyone start to love manene and regret the day they ever said anything bad about James getting the little guy... change is a good thing people, just look at what evolution (as is humans from apes, not talking about treecko to grovyle or anything...) did for us.

Heracross
15th October 2005, 8:38 AM
Chiriin. ;_;

...Damn, this was a great episode. It had more character development for Kojirou since all the way back to "Gardie and Kojirou", and it was definitely the most emotional. This is why I love Kojirou. He's really a nice guy, with a soft and caring personality. Though whenever he tries to do something right, Musashi and Nyasu always do their best to mess it up for him. The way they behaved in light of the situation was disgusting, but they got what was coming to them. Seeing Sabonea own Habunake was awesome, and it was even better when Kojirou teamed up with Satoshi to knock them down a few pegs. I love the occasional episode when Satoshi-tachi and the Rocket-dan get along (or at least Kojirou in this case). It's great to see him acting as a normal person where his softer side can shine through.

It was great to learn more of Kojirou's childhood too. It's a shame there was no reference to any previously introduced characters from his past (no Gaa-chan ;; ), but that's of little importance really. The two old servants were great characters. It isn't hard to see why Kojirou relished the time he spent there, where he could actually be free to do his own thing and just act like a normal kid. They were much more caring and understanding than his actual parents were.

The scene where Kojirou had to part with Chiriin was so emotional. I cried. And I never cry over movies/TV shows. Even though Chiriin never did anything, it was so special to Kojirou, and therefore had a special place with me. Watching him forced to leave it was a heartbreaker.

And the ending was great. I love how Kojirou and Chiriin catch one last look at each other through the window as Kojirou-tachi float away in their hot air balloon.

Great stuff. How this rose up out of the pile of steaming sludge that is the Battle Frontier I'll never know...

Yamato-san
15th October 2005, 8:48 AM
I'm with Gravy, as far as pre-evolutions go, Manene, well, any Humanshape actually, seems like one of the best.

change is a good thing people, just look at what evolution (as is humans from apes, not talking about treecko to grovyle or anything...) did for us.

Even though those kind of evolutions did wonders as well. Juptor, Oosubame, Wakashamo, Onigohri, and that's just in AG.

Despite Chimecho departing for who knows how long, and no real mention of past characters associated with James, this was a really good episode.

Actually, the old women did mention something about the "sir and madam", which left Kojirou freaking out, asking if his mother and father were at the mansion right now. I guess Murg could give you the full translation. BTW Murg, what was Kojirou calling the old couple throughout the episode? "Jiiya" and "Baaya" or something? Are those some kind of terms for, respectively, an old man and old woman caretaker?

You have got to be frakking me! That stupid clown pulls a Psyduck? Oy oy...*many oys later*...oy oy oy. This looked ike such a good episode but now it looks like a horrible one.

As Murg mentioned, it did not in anyway pull a Koduck. When the ball fell out of his pocket, Manene intentionally ran up to it, jumped into the air, and struck its hand on the trigger button before going into the ball. The ball didn't accidentally hit it, Manene didn't glare at the ball for a second wondering what the hell it was before tapping it, Manene was fully aware of what it was and wanted to go along with Kojirou. And might I add, that was probably the most well-done voluntary capture the series has had yet. Sure, it's great when the Pokemon willingly challenges the trainer to a capture battle, and of course anything's better than the typical scenario of a Pokemon just walking up to the trainer at the end of the episode after the trainer helped them out, but the way that Manene wanted to come along so much that it doesn't even ask before going into a ball itself just seemed so nicely dramatic.

Anyway, I've got a few points about this episode myself....
-I'm surprised that no one but Churly brought this up yet, but in Kojirou's flashback, we saw him chase around an Utsudon. It's not the same one that Kojirou got, of course, but it seems as though the writers intentionally made that scene, probably to explain why he has an obsession for that particular Pokemon and its evolution. Though the capture was extremely vague, this does shed some light on the explanation of why he supposedly went out of his way to get one in the first place (in the flashback of when he got it using Matadogas, it seems as though Musashi and Nyaasu aren't there with him, meaning he wandered off looking for one himself).
-Smile played in the background of the scene with the Chiriin montage and Kojirou leaving his Pokemon in the elders' care.
-Is this the first time they've shown that Kojirou's been keeping his Monster Balls in his pocket?

And is it just me, or has Advanced Generation been doing a good job of making Rocket Dan's releases (well, this isn't exactly a release, but still) seem more dramatic, like they actually are a big deal and that Musashi and Kojirou truley care for their Pokemon. It sure is a big step from Pocket Monsters, in which Musashi losing her Beroringa in a Sounansu trade seemed completely random and nothing to make much of. Kojirou losing his Utsubotto was also rather random, and rather than being dramatic about him losing his Pokemon, that episode had him comically going on and on about exaggerated memories he had with his pitcher plant. Both occurences also seemed like little more than a side-plot from the actual episode, which of course dealt with Satoshi-tachi. In AG, though, these episodes managed to make Rocket Dan the stars while Satoshi-tachi were the ones shoved into the background.

In any case, the Battle Frontier's been pretty crappy lately, but it's nice to see they did something right. It's a shame to see Chiriin go, although there is some hope of it returning eventually. Sure, it never did much, but it was pretty much in the same boat as Musashi's Sounansu, which more often than not is only there for randomnly popping out of its ball and offering comic relief (and I don't need to remind you all that such a role has left Sounansu, who probably would've been very overlooked in the games otherwise, as one of the most popular Pokemon out there, to the point that he gets his own pre-evolution). But anyway, I'd say this was the best Battle Frontier episode yet..... either that, or the Iwaaku kingdom, simply because we got to see Juptor kick some a** in that (and it was about the only time he did so in Battle Frontier, at least until next week's episode judging from the preview).... but then.... hmmm.... good action's actually somewhat commonplace in this series, but good drama and character development is once in a blue moon. Yeah, I guess I'll go with this ep as my favorite BF one yet.

Chris
15th October 2005, 8:51 AM
Woah, wait. An episode..with CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?! Haven't had one of those in ages. o_O Definately gotta see it.

I think everyone complaining about Manene isn't complaining about the fact that Chiriin was swapped, but because of the fact that they made it do barely anything and then swapped it. Makes one wonder if there was even any point in having Kojirou capture it if it wasn't going to do anything at all.

And I shall also say HA! I was right about it not being Doku-chan not being dumped off. >_>

John's Knight
15th October 2005, 10:37 AM
Chimecho is gone????? Well, i haven't seen any episode with chimecho yet, so i don't know i'll miss it or not. Still, it seems that it's a good episode. The cacnea and james and phanpy vs TR was great. was that HP from phanpy?

Heracross
15th October 2005, 10:51 AM
was that HP from phanpy?
Yes. Not sure why people are still surprised by this as it first used it back in the Kingdom of Iwaaku episode.

John's Knight
15th October 2005, 10:58 AM
Yeh, i know that. Still, before that, i've only seen HP in the "sphere" mode. Like it's a beam (and phanpy can't learn hyper beam), it's HP.

Alfonso
15th October 2005, 11:22 AM
Ah.

Ah ha.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

What in the blue f*cking blazes is this. James leaves one of my fave TR Poke Chimecho and takes Manene?

And yet Manene was in the intro with Chimecho?

What will happen with my ultimate fave TR Poke, Dustox?

O_O!

This series really is s*it, isn't it?

ChaosMage
15th October 2005, 11:43 AM
Well, this episode and the ones closely following seem to confirm that the writers have done what we were all hoping. They have taken a huge risk and could lose so much doing so, but they finally invested in a second company brain cell!

wobbanut
15th October 2005, 5:07 PM
-As Kojiro is getting Chiriin's ball out to leave it with the servants, an empty ball falls out of his pocket, and Manene promptly jumps in.

Wow, so not only do we get Team Rocket's first left-behind pokemon, we also get our first TR pokemon caught like Psyduck and Skitty? :)

It's really strange that nearly every single pokemon James has caught he has not caught the normal (weaken then capture) way. He's gotten them as presents (Koffing/Weezing), bought them (Magickarp I, hoppip), traded them (Weeepinbell II/Victreebel II), invited them to come along (Cacnea, Chimecho), and now caught by accident (Manene). Weepinbell I/Victreebel I was the only pokemon he ever caught the normal way (as seen in "Here's Looking at You Elekid").

And actually, now that I remember, Jessie hasn't caught any pokemon the normal way either (even Seviper wasn't weakened by a pokemon, just by a royally p*ssed Jessie :D ).

Mistynia
15th October 2005, 7:23 PM
I just gotta say, I cried with this one. Poor James! God, I really cried. Love those episodes XD

Blaziken master
15th October 2005, 9:06 PM
My favourite battle frontier episode to date!Manene is one of my new favourite babies now,its imitations are so cute.I am sad about chimecho leaving,I know it never did much,but it was so cute!The battle at the end was cool with cacnea's sandstorm looking more awesome than ever.I just wish we saw Jame's parents in the flashbck along with growlie

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
15th October 2005, 9:07 PM
Ok now I saw the episode and wow it was superb! Jessie and Meowth were horrible. Too bad Growlee wasn't there but oh well. Oh man Manene is pretty cool. I thought it would some annoying loser like that fat Munchlax we have but no this dude is way different. I really wish we had more of these episodes.

Sushi
15th October 2005, 9:44 PM
Because of this damn episode, my cushion was soaked with tears yesterday. Not nice.
Of course I found this episode great. The animation was outstanding, the music was outstanding (especially the bit of the fourth movie at the end), and, since I'm such a sucker for tearjerkers...

Ah, and to be honest, except in episodes made by this animation team, I never really found Chimecho that cute when it had its eyes open.
They often drew its eyes as if they were yellow knobs; it made it look kinda scary. But in this one, the eyes looked so adorable <3 Its voice has always been great of course.
For some reason though, I have a hard time to imagine dub Chimecho sounding sick^^

The goodbye scene...I still love and hate it at the same time. Although, my cushion is dry now, so I guess I can say I just love it. I especially liked the part where Chimecho smiled when it heard that Manene decided to come with James.

But I also loved Ash and Co. in this episode. If you rewatch the scene where they were talking to James at the beginning, you can see they were all acting quite funny.
That, and the conversation between May and James was also well-done. It was short, but we've rarely seen them talking to each other at all, so that was quite nice.

Manene is (roll-eyes over herself)....adorable. I was all "OMGkyuuteh!!!111" everytime I heard its voice. Loved the bit where it imitated James throwing a Pok&#233;ball XD

I will not blindly say that this one was my favorite Battle Frontier episode just because I had to cry hysterically at the end. I loved the Onix, Psyduck, etc. episodes too after all.
Maybe this is indeed my favorite so far though... I should stop blabbering.
Er, wonderful episode anyway!

Aptenodytes
15th October 2005, 10:16 PM
gosh why couldnt we see these episodes in america... -.- o well. sad that chimecho leaves, but im happy manene will be shown in more episodes. i made my avatar in memory of chimecho =]

Pokemon Fan
15th October 2005, 10:37 PM
FYI to the poster who said this was the only battle Cacnea had won, it also won a match against Brock's Forretress in a Johto episode as I recall and in its debut scared away a bunch of Beedrill.

What in the blue f*cking blazes is this. James leaves one of my fave TR Poke Chimecho and takes Manene?

And yet Manene was in the intro with Chimecho?

What will happen with my ultimate fave TR Poke, Dustox?

O_O!

This series really is s*it, isn't it?
Did you look at the pictures, read the more detailed descriptions? It just may be the sweetest James episode ever. :cool:

And what do you think of Manene?

<><><>

On another note, it's ridiculous the number of ranting one-line posts that plagued the first few pages of this thread from a bunch of posters who didn't even know what happened beyond Chimecho leaving. In the future I hope more will wait longer before condemning an episode so other posters don't have to wade through dozens of rants that all say essentially the same thing.

Heracross
15th October 2005, 11:53 PM
FYI to the poster who said this was the only battle Cacnea had won, it also won a match against Brock's Forretress in a Johto episode as I recall and in its debut scared away a bunch of Beedrill.
You must be thinking of an early AG episode, because he didn't have Sabonea in Jouto.

Blaziken master
16th October 2005, 12:48 AM
That was the cheering squad episode with plusle and minun,I also liked the reference to Jame's obsession of weepinbell

Inuyasha639
16th October 2005, 1:09 AM
Too bad Jimmy left his chimecho in the mansion. Also if Jimmy gets Manene, then that must mean Jessie is going to get a Manyula. I got it off Wikipedia. (sorry I keep calling him Jimmy) ;rukario;

CyberCubed
16th October 2005, 1:16 AM
I hope Jessie doesn't get Manyula. She has so many Pokemon and James always has so few. Unless Dustox is leaving too...

Yamato-san
16th October 2005, 2:24 AM
I will not blindly say that this one was my favorite Battle Frontier episode just because I had to cry hysterically at the end. I loved the Onix, Psyduck, etc. episodes too after all.
Maybe this is indeed my favorite so far though... I should stop blabbering.
Er, wonderful episode anyway!

I wouldn't say they're doing it "blindly". Honestly, with all the crap that Battle Frontier has been delivering thus far, it's difficult not to say this was the, or at least one of the, best episodes in the saga yet.

DarkWobbuffet
16th October 2005, 9:02 AM
... *sighs* Well I'm not at all pleased that they've replaced Chiriin-san with another 4th season advertisment. All I gotta say is they better give Manene some personality and battle strength.

The episode itself looks nice though. I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Heracross
16th October 2005, 9:15 AM
Yeah, I'm not too happy that they dumped Chiriin either, but I can't deny that it was an excellent episode.

Geodude
16th October 2005, 1:12 PM
All I gotta say is they better give Manene some personality and battle strength.
With the mimicing thing, it already has personality. You'll be laughing when you see it, for sure.

Speaking of which, I have the perfect English name for Manene, if mimicing truly is something they normally do: Mimicree. It's an alternate spelling of the word mimicry, which is what it was doing. What do you think? :)

The Big Al
16th October 2005, 1:41 PM
So he'll be a Wobbufett clone (of a sort). *Remembers the antics of Wobbufett while Jessie and James were yacking in "A Scare to Remember".* That wouldn't be so bad, not great but not bad either.

Gravy
16th October 2005, 4:48 PM
I hope they try to take the mimicry thing a bit further than just copying James. I'd like to see Manene pull off similar imitations to those that Pikachu does on occassion, like the ones seen in 'Gotta Dance' for example.
Though I expect it to at least act like Wobba during the ending of the motto :P

Actually, the old women did mention something about the "sir and madam", which left Kojirou freaking out, asking if his mother and father were at the mansion right now.
Ahh, watching the scene again, I hear the mention of his parents now ^^; Though, I was actually thinking of something along the lines of a specific reference to Jessibel at least, but its no big loss of course~

Factory Head Noland
16th October 2005, 6:03 PM
I just watched the episode now and it was a real tear jerker, I'm gonna miss Chimecho so much. Damn them and their flashbacks! Flashbacks always get me...
I love Manene though, it's so cute and I love how it mimics James' movements, Manene gets my thumbs up of approval!

A great episode overall, one of the best so far in the Battle Frontier series.

jolteonjak
18th October 2005, 5:37 PM
Oh man...after seeing some pics of this episode in the pic thead, I can already tell I'm going to ball like a baby.

rjendo
18th October 2005, 5:56 PM
Can you imagine the Motto with BOTH of them? (Chimecho and Manene)

JESSE: Team Rocket Blasts off at the speed of light.
JAMES: Surrender now or prepare to fight
MEOWTH: That's Right!
WOBBUFFETT: Wobbuffett!
CHIMECHO: CHIME!
Menene: Menene!

A little drawn out don't you think?;249-d;

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
18th October 2005, 9:55 PM
Can you imagine the Motto with BOTH of them? (Chimecho and Manene)

JESSE: Team Rocket Blasts off at the speed of light.
JAMES: Surrender now or prepare to fight
MEOWTH: That's Right!
WOBBUFFETT: Wobbuffett!
CHIMECHO: CHIME!
Menene: Menene!

A little drawn out don't you think?;249-d;
James dosen't have chimecho anymore

THATS WHAT WHY HE GOT MANENE

Alfonso
18th October 2005, 10:13 PM
James dosen't have chimecho anymore

THATS WHAT WHY HE GOT MANENE

Hence why he said 'can you imagine the motto with both of them?'. He knows Chimecho is gone, and was thinking about how long the motto would be should all four of them be in it.

A rather feeble attempt at being a bada*s there. I CAN SHOUT TOO ON THE INTERNET WITH MY CAPITAL LETTER POWERS.

skarmachild
20th October 2005, 1:55 PM
James is ill, and leaves it in the house untill it gets better. I'm sure Chimecho will come back sometime or other. Unless it's like when Ash left Pidgeot and said that he'd come back for it.

jolteonjak
20th October 2005, 2:17 PM
If the writers hold true to the show, Chimecho will come back or James will go back for it. I know Ash loves/is friends with all his Pokemon, but James is crazy about Chimecho. If the writers had any sense Chimecho will come back when it gets better. (sorry for the speculation here)

RedJirachi
8th November 2005, 8:13 AM
James isn't that cruel to abandon his Chimecho!He knew his Chimecho was sick,and did the best he could.He gave Chimecho to the man to be better and not get hurt.

Heracross
9th November 2005, 12:20 AM
If the writers hold true to the show, Chimecho will come back or James will go back for it. I know Ash loves/is friends with all his Pokemon, but James is crazy about Chimecho. If the writers had any sense Chimecho will come back when it gets better. (sorry for the speculation here)
We'll never see it again. ;;

Samayowa
13th November 2005, 4:44 AM
We'll never see it again. ;;

Sadly he tells the truth...if only it wasn't true.....It's weird because I'm happy that Manene is in the series but I hate it because he's with TR...oh well it can't be helped.

Diamond and Pearl

Shigeru-kun
13th November 2005, 7:22 AM
As much as I adore this episode, just the thought of how the dub will turn out horrifies me to no end. I mean, can you picture it now? Chiriin's sweet voice will be replaced by that plain and boring "chime", and Eric is sure to make Kojirou overreact with squeals and bad acting. It's almost like 4Kids won't allow him to have a real serious moment.

*sigh* Oh well. At least the original is wonderful. From humorous moments, to touching ones, I really think this is one of my favorite episodes overall. I especially loved seeing Haruka and Kojirou have a small scene together. It's not often I get my two favorite main characters in the same room like that. *heh*

Heracross
13th November 2005, 9:00 AM
A great scene indeed. Just goes to show what a nice guy he can be when he's not preoccupied with being a Rocket-dan agent.

'Course it doesn't matter whether he's being nice or evil, he's always awesome. XD

Yamato-san
13th November 2005, 2:37 PM
Eric is sure to make Kojirou overreact with squeals and bad acting. It's almost like 4Kids won't allow him to have a real serious moment.

I hate defending 4kids, but how do you know they're the ones forcing him to not do good? I mean, isn't Eric the voice director for Yu-gi-oh!? If so, that should be a good indication that he's just plain bad on his own. On top of that, I keep hearing nothing but good things about his performances until recent years. Not like 4kids forced him to suck back then, now did they? I'd say the guy just declined on his own over time.

Shigeru-kun
13th November 2005, 3:10 PM
Others may have liked Eric's performance from the earlier years, but I can't say I ever really did. Guess that's just something that can come down to personal opinion.

Either way though, there is indeed the possibility it's just Eric and not 4Kids, and I apologize for putting the blame on them, but that still doesn't change the fact how the Chiriin scene will most likely run through. :/

Heracross
13th November 2005, 5:57 PM
Iirc, he said on the fourth movie commentary that he started changing James's voice on his own. In any event, Shigeru's right. I don't even want to think about his awful dub voice befouling this episode.

npdargy312
24th April 2006, 9:35 PM
I really want 2 know what the nglish version for Manene is!!!!!!!

Blaziken master
24th April 2006, 10:59 PM
Iirc, he said on the fourth movie commentary that he started changing James's voice on his own. In any event, Shigeru's right. I don't even want to think about his awful dub voice befouling this episode.
You now have to wonder what the new voice actor will be like...

Rocket Girl
24th May 2006, 12:46 AM
You now have to wonder what the new voice actor will be like...

Indeed. If the SOVA campaign ends up failing, and NewJames hasn't literally gotten his act together after "Mirage Pokemon", then I have to say I'd prefer to hear Eric Stuart's squealing...

I do wonder how the dub is going to handle the music, though. The part where James is saying goodbye to Chimecho has "Smile" playing, and it really does suit the scene beautifully. Under PUSA the new dub may or may not keep the original music in, but if they opt to change it I hope it's at least something soft and suitably dramatic, as opposed to the random, weird music they stuck in the Arbok and Weezing farewell episode.

And I don't see why this episode was anti-Rocketshippy. I figured James' horror at the thought of being married to Jessie was owning to his (apparent) phobia of marriage, seeing as how the mere mention of the word "fiance" is enough to send him packing. Either way though, his imagined scenario of their being married, and her lounging on the couch while he vacuumed, was priceless. I especially loved the way she called him "darling" (in Engrish) as she ordered him to clean. XD

Overall, fantastic episode.

Faerie
4th June 2006, 2:05 AM
*sniff* So sad.

This was one of those once-in-a-blue-moon lovely episodes. Great to see RD (or at least Kojirou) being the good guys for once, and the bit with Chiirin was written so well it was actually really sad. I know, it's not uncommon for anime in general, but I don't feel that way about Pocket Monsters episodes very often.

Jeez, Manene was SO adorable. How can you NOT love a little pink thing that acts like a toddler and imitates whatever its owner does? I practically cracked up when it was shouting along with Kojirou in that one scene. Looking forward to seeing the little guy in the upcoming episodes.

I agree that the animation was really good in this one. Expecially the scene when Kojirou had to leave Chiirin. It's pretty cool with Soko ni Sora ga Arukara in the background.

And speaking of leaving Chiirin, why is everyone overreacting? Sure, Chiirin is a great Pokemon and all, but that doesn't mean it was gonna stay for the whole series. Matadogasu and Aabokku didn't even stay the for the whole anime and Utsubotto stayed for an even shorter time. And Kojirou didn't just leave Chiirin there so it could live with his obaasan and ojiisan - he left it there BECAUSE IT WAS SICK. It had to recover and couldn't just go travelling around until it got better.

Although the writers did do that on purpose, so who knows what the intention was? *shifty eyes*

My only complaint is that Satoshi-tachi - Haruka expecially - was very quick to accept Roketto-dan as suddenly nicer. Satoshi instantly teamed up with Kojirou at the end of the episode when they made Musashi and Nyasu blast off.

Sabonea was quite a lot stronger when it fought Habuneeku...I wonder if it likes being in RD. ;3

Yamato-san
4th June 2006, 7:16 AM
I agree that the animation was really good in this one. Expecially the scene when Kojirou had to leave Chiirin. It's pretty cool with Soko ni Sora ga Arukara in the background.

I don't know if I said this earlier in the thread (too lazy to check out the back posts), but that was "Smile" playing.

Ampris
9th June 2006, 11:59 PM
Because I haven't actually seen the ep yet, I don't know if this was said, but what was it that made Chimecho and Munchlax sick? There wasn't any explanation given in the episode guide, and it seemed sort of random for them both to suddenly take ill that way:/

ハルカ and ゴンベ
18th June 2006, 4:37 AM
Ugh..I can see this episode as a disaster waiting to happen. If they would have kept it Manene...*sigh* I don't know how Mime Jr. is gonna match the mouth flaps...>_> Maybe James'll Nickname it...

wobbanut
19th August 2006, 4:55 PM
I'm happy with the dub title "Sweet Baby James". :) Not only is it a great title, it's also the first time either Jessie or James has had their name in the title. EVERYBODY else (who's a regular) has ("Ash Catches a Pokemon", "The Misty Mermaid", "The Heartbreak of Brock", "Tracey Gets Bugged", "Come What May", "Maxxed Out", "Go West Young Meowth", and a few more).

Marill
19th August 2006, 7:34 PM
The only potential problem I see with the dubbed episode is the new James VA.. I hope he's improved A LOT cos his voice was atrocious. As for Manene, I'd be happy if he just refers to it as Mime, one clip of it from the movie (well Brock's voice was all I could hear mostly) shows that it just says "mime" *shrugs*, I doubt PUSA would change it's voice.

Yamato-san
20th August 2006, 3:27 AM
The only potential problem I see with the dubbed episode is the new James VA.. I hope he's improved A LOT cos his voice was atrocious. As for Manene, I'd be happy if he just refers to it as Mime, one clip of it from the movie (well Brock's voice was all I could hear mostly) shows that it just says "mime" *shrugs*, I doubt PUSA would change it's voice.

well, it's a good thing this episode came up so early in the new VA season, because then we can see what range of emotions James's new voice is capable of. As you can see here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leJkEL_uDBQ), Eric Stuart obviously has trouble portraying James as anything but a goofball.

Heracross
20th August 2006, 3:41 AM
Yes, while the new VA has the potential to ruin the episode, there's no doubt Mr. Stuart would have.

Shift
6th September 2006, 4:26 PM
I'm interested to see what they do with Chimecho's voice. Honestly, I never liked its dub voice one bit, even before I heard the original. If they decide to dip into the archive for it, at least it'll only be for two episodes and we'll be done with it. But of course, I'm not sure if there are any voice clips that would work with it being sick, and if the clip on CN.com is anything to go by, they'll likely either give it a new voice (like Cacnea/seviper) or let it keep its original voice (like Haunter, aka Ghost). I know they'll be changing Munchlax's voice; now I jut wonder how good it'll be.

WaterDragon trainer
9th September 2006, 3:58 PM
This episode was pretty good. Munchlax's and Ash's Poke'dex's new voice sounds terrible. Mime Jr. was kinda cute. James' vision of Jessie being his wife was hilarious as well as Ash, May, Max, and Brock's reaction when James told them of his whole cottage thing. It was awesome how Ash AND James blasted off Jessie and Meowth. It was kinda sad that James had to leave Chimecho. It was actually funny how Mime Jr captured itself. It's kinda cool that James nanny and pop didn't mind James being with Team Rocket.

Blaziken Trainer
9th September 2006, 3:59 PM
I liked the episode. It was a good episode, so nothing really bothered me, not even the Pokedex. I don't really care too much about that, but I love how Mike Pollock does the voice of every guy on the show now. :P

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 4:00 PM
I thought the new James sounded pretty good with emotion, better then Stuart's "emotional" voice anyway. Atleast he wasn't squealing.

PoKmOn_FrEaK
9th September 2006, 4:00 PM
awww. Tihs epdisode made me cry. James and Chimeco are such god friends. They really have a strong bong together. It`s a shame he had to leave Chimeco behind because it was feeling too good and it needed some more rest. On the bright side he`s got Mime Jr. I think it was quite funny when James battled against Jessie and Meowth. I never saw that coming. But he was only trying to protect his nany and pop pop. James is sweet when he wants to be. Jessie was always my favorite character but I`m starting to really like James after seeing this episode. He`s got a real soft spot in his heart. As for the different voices, it just sounds weird. I`m so used to the character voices from 1998 when Pokemon first debuted in America. It`s just weird having different people being the voices of Ash and James and Jessie and all the other characters. But I`ll get used to it.

EmbersBackUpSinger
9th September 2006, 4:01 PM
it was cool. Ithough James was going to be good though but hes still in Rocket. I want A Mime JR.

Judai Yuki
9th September 2006, 4:02 PM
It was almost perfect.I miss Chimecho already!*sniff*

-Judai

PoKmOn_FrEaK
9th September 2006, 4:06 PM
I miss Chimecho too. That part made me cry.

ztarmie11
9th September 2006, 4:08 PM
so is chimecho still jamses? or did he give it to them? i'm asking this because in the character descriptions on serebii its under the pokemon section that lists the pokemon that james previously owned so i'm a bit confused hehe sorry!

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 4:09 PM
Mime Jr. is so cool most people will forget about Chimecho in a matter of months....I did. XD

halloweenghost
9th September 2006, 4:10 PM
Great Episode! I'm really Diggin James's new voice actor!

Judai Yuki
9th September 2006, 4:11 PM
It's gone.<_< Unless he secretly retrieves it in that Journey episode.=P

-Judai

Red
9th September 2006, 4:11 PM
I really liked this episode, and Mime Jr. is really cool, I miss the old voices but I'm getting used to the new ones.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 4:12 PM
The only possible way I could see Chimecho returning is if it has a new DP evo in Shinou.

Pure
9th September 2006, 4:15 PM
Well, once they do something like this to a Pokemon like Chimecho, it's basically gone. Manene replaced it, so there's no place for Chimecho now...sadly...

As for the episode, it was certainly better than Fear Factor Phony, and it's always nice to see a DPer making a debut (English debut, at least)

halloweenghost
9th September 2006, 4:18 PM
I really liked how more Emotional the new James was compared to Eric Stuart's James..

littlestchristian13
9th September 2006, 4:18 PM
I hate the new voices. they sound like they all have colds or are sick... but i do LOVE that episode! I started tearing up! poor James! he's really a good guy...even if he is in Team Rocket. and Mine Jr. is freakin cute! I idn't like it, but I am really starting to like it! ^-^

CHeSHiRe-CaT
9th September 2006, 4:22 PM
Yeah, I'm not too impressed with the writers >>; They seriously need to get their act together, or ratings are going to drop, and Pokemon USA WILL notice.

I only got to watch the last fifteen minutes because it aired around 6:30 here =.= I read up on the episode guide to see the rest. I liked the old lady the most; I dunno, I just like the way her mouth moved XD They're so TINY! *huggles old couple* Yeah, their house was pretty awesome too :O

I think that's all I can really comment on, except "GO JAMES" for whooping Jessie and Meowth's heinies :(

halloweenghost
9th September 2006, 4:22 PM
I hate the new voices. they sound like they all have colds or are sick... but i do LOVE that episode! I started tearing up! poor James! he's really a good guy...even if he is in Team Rocket. and Mine Jr. is freakin cute! I idn't like it, but I am really starting to like it! ^-^

give it time,..you'll get used to the new voices... everyone hated it when Dragon Ball Z got new voice actors and people lived with it. They all sound much better then the mastermind voices though... can tell they've really been working on them.

ghost master
9th September 2006, 4:33 PM
Yeah, I'm not too impressed with the writers
What didnt you like about this? I thought this was actually a really good episode.

I liked the new voice actors. They actually fit the characters. If you just look at the characters and pretend like you have never heard the 4kids voices you would think they fit for their character. May is the only one that sounded a little too weird. She sounded too old even if she is more developed she is still a 10 year old girl. At some moments it sounded a little weird with other characters but as they produce more episodes and get more feedback I suspect they will adjust accordingly.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th September 2006, 4:37 PM
Does he mean the people who wrote the plot, or the lines for the episode?

Which, imo, were better then 4kids script. They actually had James say "die".

Ampris
9th September 2006, 5:18 PM
Now, this is a good way to start a season, with an exceptionally emotional and beautifully animated episode. Even if it did bring the end of Chimecho, it was at least a touching goodbye along the lines of "A Poached Ego", and Manene is a more than worthy new addition to the team. I'll admit that I really hadn't expected this episode to be as good as it was, but it was wonderful in so many ways.

The elderly couple and Manene were just too cute, and Manene's dub voice isn't bad at all (consider, though, that I haven't heard the original Ikue Ohtani), but it was going a little overboard to have it repeat every syllable. Just saying 'mime' once or twice would be enough, it doesn't have to mimic the speech patterns unless it didn't say the whole word. Breaking it down into would be better, I think.

There was so much to like about the episode (animation, plot, Manene, great James moments) that anything wrong with it, i.e. no Rumika, Chimecho leaving, is mostly forgivable. Definitely an episode that should be remembered^.^

I also want to congratulate James' new VA for unbelievable improvement. Even if it could still have been much better, there was at least attempted emotion, and it was very noticably better than the previous episode. I really haven't liked James voice since "Hatching a Plan", so another sub-par one isn't such a major difference, though I am tired of watching episodes where James looks fantasic but sounds awful.

Darkness Angel
9th September 2006, 6:05 PM
Only caught bits and pieces of this eppy.

Crystal Clair
9th September 2006, 6:23 PM
For once in months, I actually went to watch the recording of this episode and the other one on my dvr. I just wanted to see PUSA's first Pokemon episode.
Manene sounds cute.... but not as cute as Pikachu-Manene. That was sickeningly adorable.
It's nice to see more of James' background get revealed and his grandparents seem nice. I wonder whose side they're on, the mothers' or the fathers'. I also wonder why James didn't run away to this place when he ran away from Jessiebelle back in the flashback in Kanto.
It seems Jessie is too greedy and mischevious for James to romantically like. I guess that's a problem in RocketShipping. Shame since I kinda think they look cute together.

PokeMaster Justin
9th September 2006, 6:47 PM
Does he mean the people who wrote the plot, or the lines for the episode?

Which, imo, were better then 4kids script. They actually had James say "die".

Sound the alarms he said "die" lolz omg mature!!11 Seriously if a couple of "cool" geeze...words and some scribbled words in the background is all it takes to appease a couple of people than I don't know.

S.Suikun
9th September 2006, 7:04 PM
I already mentioned back on one of the first few pages that this is a Top 5 episode for me easily. In terms of emotional value, Pikachu's Goodbye has nothing on this. In addition, this marks the moment when BF starts getting really good. Also, this is probably the most well-animated episode up to its date, though it gets beaten in a few weeks by the Tucker battle.

Regarding the dub version, I am so very glad that Mime Jr. doesn't actually say "Jr!" Just saying "Mime!" is good enough. PUSA's Munchlax actually sounds closer to Gonbe than 4Kids' Munchlax did. All the other Pokemon sound the same.

Pika Hikari KT
9th September 2006, 8:10 PM
...Next time, I'm putting my alarm clock on my computer table. Apparantly, I can turn it off in my sleep.>_<

Any way to see it again today? Oy, I probably won't see this ep til next week.-_-;

Kamex
9th September 2006, 8:38 PM
I like Mime Jr. If the whole 'mime James' thing is going to be a recurring joke, I think I'll like it more than other Pokemon's habits. The way it copied everything James did was cute.

Nice to see more of James' past.

Two episodes in a row someone from Team Rocket sabotaged the whole team's scheme.

Anyway, this episode was better than normal I think. 8/10.

C.J. Ray
9th September 2006, 9:25 PM
Writer 2: Oh, that thing? Man, we sure let the animation crew off easy with that one. It barely ever moves, haw haw *choke on coffee*

Wrong. Chimecho has been animated well most of the time. I doubt the animators were "off easy" when they animated Chimecho using that scary Astonish on Team Rocket back in that one episode...twice.

Writer 1:N-n-n-naniiii!?! But we haven't even had Chiriin DO anything thus far!

Give the writers some cred, Gravy. Chimecho has participated in a contest. (
It's Jessie's own fault that it lost - surely Chimecho could have used Psywave or something on Combusken)

Isn't it kinda awkward to dump it in favour of another marketting gimmick? :/

Then you're forgetting May's Munchlax, which was introduced ages before this episode, and was the first 4th-gen Pokemon revealed to us.

Having that thing imitate all of the Rocket's funky body-language and spaced-out expressions sounds like fun to moi~

Mime Jr. is only imitiating James, at least from the screenshots I saw.

Anyways, the episode was very interesting. It was nice to see James behave for one and force the others to behave, and when they refused, he kicked their butts good! :D

Also, those two old people(Nanny and Pop-Pop) were very kind and forgiving when James confessed his lies at the end. I think I had grandfolks like that(but they're all dead now), very sweet and forgiving.

It's nice to see Mime Jr. take Chimecho's place, temporarily or no.

Haruka
10th September 2006, 12:49 AM
The new voices are okay. I'm sure we will all get used to them, Even though...
Ash sounds like naruto.
May sounds...Older.
Max just sucks.
Brock is a little off.
Jessie sounds like a freakin' teenager.
James sound like he is sick.
Meowth sounds okay.
But this episode was pretty entertaining. I give it a 7/10.

Judai Yuki
10th September 2006, 12:58 AM
I keep watching it over and over.<_<

-Judai

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th September 2006, 1:38 AM
Mime Jr impersonates people all the time.

Get used to it, it's an adorable gimmick.

Shift
10th September 2006, 1:58 AM
I really liked this episode. I totally think it came off better under TAJ than it would have under 4Kids. The couple sounded so believable its not funny; I liked how Ken Gates voiced Pop-Pop, and whoever played Nanny sounded so heartwarming I can't contain myself! Jimmy Zoppi's James has also earned my respect; there's no way Eric Stuart could have pulled it off, no offense. Mime Jr. also sounded good. All in all, I'm pretty sure the new dub will turn out fine.

Cedric's_Memory
10th September 2006, 2:01 AM
It wasn't one of my favorite episodes but it was okay in the dub nonetheless(SP?) I love the way Mime Jr. senses James' sadness and jumps into an empty Pokeball

burrut13
10th September 2006, 2:37 AM
i really liked this episode, james sounds way better than fear factor phony, and i also think meowth got rid of his accent, i think meowth needs some work still, but it was great improvement for just one episode

Judai Yuki
10th September 2006, 2:42 AM
Oh God.=P
Jessie:Prepare for trouble, we're going anywhere we please!
James:Make it double this stuff is a breeze.

-Judai

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th September 2006, 2:43 AM
Was it me, or did when Meowth say "Their's nothing on it!" when reffering to the map seem like a shot at 4kids erasing text and stuff?

Or maybe I'm looking into in.....

Skittygirl
10th September 2006, 2:49 AM
This episode made me cry from James memories. And Jame's summer cottage was huge imo. The dub sounds better but May needs some work. Meowth still needs maddiejoan and James almost sounds identical so its not that bad.

Judai Yuki
10th September 2006, 2:49 AM
Lol you're looking too much into it.

-Judai

Manene!
10th September 2006, 3:29 AM
I cannot believe I missed the Manene episode. Why did it have to come at 9:30? Why couldn't I just woke up?

Anyway, I'm glad Manene is getting a good response so far.

chosen_one386
10th September 2006, 3:54 AM
This episode made me cry at the end! It was SO sad...

Anyway, MAJOR improvement in dub voices and in just one episode! Good job, new VAs! You're getting MUCH better, though some need some work...

Oh, and since I taped it, I memorized the new theme song in, like, 5 minutes! ^_^!

Medea
10th September 2006, 4:36 AM
Well then, saw this episode this afternoon and once trying to get passed the um, you-know-what it was a very good episode. Very sad! I saw this a couple of months ago on youtube and that little montage of James and Chimecho was just so very touching.

Oh and I had to LMAO on this one. When Nanny asked if Jessie was James's fiance. James's reaction was too priceless (even if I am a Rocketshipper).

TwilightFacade
10th September 2006, 5:05 AM
A great start for the new dub in my opinion. Yeah this episode may have been sadder than A Poached Ego. But it was still great.

Nice to see James and da twoips call a truce. If any episode is more about MayXJames, this is it. Also good to see him fighting his own teammates from stealing the Pokemon.

Good to see Mime Jr. make its debut outside of Japan. It is gonna be a good replacement for Chimecho. Its imitations were as cute as can be.

Ash's new VA has some work to do during battle scenes. During his battle with Jessie, it sounded like he could care less about the battle..."phanpy use rollout" had the excitement level of paint drying.

And finally Chimecho takes its leave. This was an uberly sad moment.

I'll give the episode an 8.8/10. Very good. Congrats to James's new VA.

BattleFranky~40
10th September 2006, 5:08 AM
Yeah, the only problem I had with the episode is that Ash's VA sounds like she just doesn't give a ****.

DragonSage
10th September 2006, 5:15 AM
I have to say that was a really good episode. The part with Nanny asking if Jessie was James's fiance was great. His reaction was too funny. XD

Mime Jr. was too cute! ^_^ Its imitations were really good, especially when James threw his pokeball to release Cacnea to fight. Mime Jr. has a lot of character.

It was sad that Chimecho had to stay behind. I mean, Chimecho was his favorite pokemon. I almost cried when I watched that part.

TraverseTown
10th September 2006, 7:48 AM
Sounds Good, I missed it though. I like Chimecho...:(

Kuroshi
10th September 2006, 2:23 PM
This episode is one of the best in the season. James had character develpment a pleanty, His dub voice was amazing too.
Jessie and Meowth's antics were classic, I'm really gonna miss Chimecho and look foward to Mime Jr's antics.

alexanderrobertbarkas
10th September 2006, 5:59 PM
I could sense Jame's sadness. If I had to release a Pokemon I cared a lot about, I'd be very sad also.

jolteonjak
10th September 2006, 10:11 PM
I would have enjoyed this episode more if Eric was still doing James' voice. May sounded better, so that's cool. I just love Manene's dub voice. Its original voice (aka the same as Pikachu's) can't be beat though.

RandomCharizard
11th September 2006, 4:10 AM
God damnit
I missed it. Though while watching the Japanese original, I shed a tear or so. I hope its the same in the dub.

And did I forget to mention how happy I am we are not Bulbagarden? That place
has sova invading EVERY THREAD THAT MENTIONS "DUB"

BattleFranky~40
11th September 2006, 5:15 AM
I would have enjoyed this episode more if Eric was still doing James' voice. May sounded better, so that's cool. I just love Manene's dub voice. Its original voice (aka the same as Pikachu's) can't be beat though.
You would have enjoyed it if James had sounded like a goofball when he was leaving Chimecho?

wobbanut
11th September 2006, 5:55 AM
Well, this episode made two milestones for me: it was the first time I cried at a new showing of Pokemon in seven years (since "Mewtwo Strikes Back"!). It also finally knocked "A Better Pill to Swallow" off the top of my all-time favorite episode list. This episode was just TERRIFIC from start to finish. :)

It was the best James episode I've seen, and I could really feel for him losing Chimecho. I know when I first saw the pictures for this episode I was upset that Chimecho would be leaving, and I wasn't thrilled about Mime Jr., but I've gotten to like Mime Jr. in the past year. I hope Chimie will be back someday, but at least we've got another cutie in the bunch. :) As for that montage... man, it had me crying buckets. It was so beautiful. :( It was also great to learn more about James and to see him and the twerps get along. And I loved Nanny and Pop-pop, they were two of the best guest stars I've seen in a while.

Overall, 10/10. Hey, I've got a new #1 episode!

jolteonjak
11th September 2006, 2:23 PM
You would have enjoyed it if James had sounded like a goofball when he was leaving Chimecho?

Say what you will. I think Eric would have done it better, and there's no changing my opinion.

Hikozaru390
11th September 2006, 10:37 PM
There's really not. Everyone complains about "A Poached Ego", but "Training Daze" is what really told me Eric cannot do serious. I like new James better here than in "Fear Factor Phony" for just that reason. I do not believe Eric would have done well. Sorry.

Anyhow, the episode. I'm so glad ;munchlax; leaves this episode, because it's dub voice blew. No other way to put it. EDIT: Aw, crap. Just remembered that Munchlax gets better. *sad*

I liked how Kojirou's Weebinbell was in the flashback of him as a kid.

I really have nothing else to say. I liked the episode.

8.5/10

Marill
12th September 2006, 5:29 AM
I saw half of the episode via Youtube, only cos the first half played the first few seconds and then claimed it was finished ¬_¬ I've heard enough to give my opinion.

Ash: Is ok, but like others said he lacks enthusiasm. Tolerable, I could live with it
Brock: Not much change from the special for me anyway, but I was ok with that voice.

May: At times sounded like Misty to me 0_0 I liked her, she's fine

Max: Changed from the special, not in a good way. Eh it's still Max, I hate him anyway

Jessie: I liked her, no problems here

Meowth: hmm I dunno, he's ok still kinda reminds me of the first few eps Meowth

James: This one I'm not sure. One second he's 100% perfect for me (when he yells at Jessie/Meowth before the battle | One line in the scene with May | another one line when he catches Jess with the Oddish..), the next I feel my ears starting to bleed like with the special.. can't this guy make up his mind with what he's doing? To me he 80% of the time sounds awful, somebody said he's like he has a headcold and that's the best comparison I've seen so far. Look Jimmy/Bill, whatever your name is, if you can't do the perfect Season 5-8 James (ahaha perfect) ok perfect imitation then don't try. Yes Eric Stuart for me would of butchered this up too, but at least I don't cringe almost everytime he spoke. Some of his lines were awful too, damn writers "oh I must be regressing to my childhood and wanted to play with the pokemon" - God it was only 5 min ago but I've already forgotten the specific line *shudder* "it's too late for a midnight snack" ok pusa so far for James you're not funny, Jessie/Meowth had some good lines though. I really hope he improves, I had high expectations for the Mime Jr capture scene after reading everyone elses comments and they were slaughtered to death with a pick axe in no time at all, and I was waiting most of the time for Youtube to stream it. I find it weird in the clips with TR in, James' voice was fine.. I feel like I've been tricked, I really do.

Mime Jr: Adorable but still I prefer Manene

Anyway..

There's really not. Everyone complains about "A Poached Ego", but "Training Daze" is what really told me Eric cannot do serious. I like new James better here than in "Fear Factor Phony" for just that reason. I do not believe Eric would have done well. Sorry.
Both episodes proved that to me.. as soon as I saw this episode in Japanese all I could think of was "oh god, the english version is going to be on mute most of the episode.. damn Eric Stuart, damn you" Of course even without him that opinion hasn't changed :( The new guy better improve >_<

Anyone 4 Buttons?
13th September 2006, 12:12 AM
OK, so I've been waiting to see this episode for a long time now, and wasn't disappointed on the whole. I'm gonna do the obvious and remark on the new VAs. I can stand most of them, except Brock and MEOWTH. I'm not happy with either of them, and I haven't seen 'Fear Factor Phony' yet. The moment I am really dreading is hearing Brock chase after a girl with those hearts in his eyes. That voice is going to be cringe-worthy.
Mime Jr. in my opinion sucks as a name. And why did James keep crying out 'CHIME!', when he knows that it will soon be fine, he'll just be away from it for a while. Calm down, dear.

Kuroshi
13th September 2006, 1:49 PM
Brock is one of the best voices in the cast, so is Meowth actually.

And as for James crying out Chime, maybe because it was an emotional scene? And we all know that was Chimecho's last episode on the show.

Torkoal Stu
13th September 2006, 7:58 PM
I really liked the VAs in this episode, odd o0

Mime Jr has a pretty nice voice.

I can't really comment on the dialogue since I don't know the Japanese one.

Pretty solid though. I'm starting to have hope again.

Sharpedo Boy
13th September 2006, 8:38 PM
James gave chimecho away because it was ill.James was good in that episode.Jessie and Meowth,however were up to trouble

Anyone 4 Buttons?
13th September 2006, 8:56 PM
James gave chimecho away because it was ill.James was good in that episode.Jessie and Meowth,however were up to trouble

Your point is?

And as for James crying out Chime, maybe because it was an emotional scene? And we all know that was Chimecho's last episode on the show. How do we know that it is it's final episode?

Geodude
13th September 2006, 11:43 PM
Obviously, because it hasn't appeared in any of the Japanese episodes that take place after this.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
14th September 2006, 12:48 AM
Obviously, because it hasn't appeared in any of the Japanese episodes that take place after this. So far...
That's not to say that Team Rocket won't appear in the D/P anime series. It could come back for an episode, or maybe stay with James at any time. I believe Lapras came back to Ash for an episode, after its 'emotional' departure in 'Viva Las Lapras', what's not to say that Chimecho may come back?

halloweenghost
14th September 2006, 1:48 AM
you like to complain just to complain don't you? Who cares... he cared for his pokemon.. he was upset because it was sick and he didn't wanna leave it.

TraverseTown
16th September 2006, 3:50 AM
I missed this dubbed episode, where can I see it?

GoggleHead
16th September 2006, 6:03 AM
I missed this dubbed episode, where can I see it?

One word. Youtube.

Anyways, this episode would've been a lot better if James' new voice didn't suck. They should've just had Manene as an addition to James' team instead of a replacement for Chimecho. If it hadn't been a replacement he might've caught up to Jessie's number.

flame fox
21st September 2006, 8:39 AM
i liked this episode poor chimecho good thing james grandparents where there to make it better but i dont like the new VA its crap

Surskit&Beautifly
21st September 2006, 10:05 AM
It was sad to see James leave Chimecho even thought they really loved each other. I like seeing Chimecho around Team Rocket [It made them less annoying], but now they have Mime Jr. who is just as cool.

magnawiz
22nd September 2006, 9:59 AM
I liked how Chimecho always looked happy (^_^)

Steffrox
25th September 2006, 1:32 PM
This episode was okay. but i think that James was a bit too nasty to Jessie and Meowth, he's no better than them and altho they did something bad he should have dealt with it in a better way than teaming up with the twerps.
Just annoyed me.

TotodileCharizard
25th September 2006, 11:29 PM
*cries* I hate Grovyle's new voice!!!!! I don't like Seviper's either. Anyways, I guess it was ok, showed Grovyle which is bonus points.

6/10

pokeboy sarab
28th September 2006, 10:13 AM
oh how sad CHIMECHO FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Garden.of.secrets
6th October 2006, 9:45 PM
Overall, it was a pretty good ep.
The VA's were alright aswell.
I absolutely love the way it shows the passionate and sensitive side of James.
I admit I almost cried.
T____T

Ashy Boy
7th October 2006, 2:11 PM
It was really sad for James to leave his Chimecho. BTW, what about Phanpy's "voice"? Is it just as bad as the rest?

Mello
11th October 2006, 9:49 AM
Wow..... it's shoking that he left it behind.

Well, he cried a lot when he knew he had too, and I suppose that he felt like he just had to go on. At least he left Chime with his grandparents instead of with some random pokemon, like he did with Wheezing. I don't think he wanted to abandon it though, it was sorta Jessie and Meowth who influenced him to go on, and I think he'll miss it. Oh, and I hope Wobbufett burns in hell.... it's getting so old and I wish she'd leave it behind.

This episode still proves that James HAS a heart, and Jessie doesn't.

Oh, and what's with the corny voices?

Hikozaru390
18th October 2006, 9:44 PM
New voice actors, maybe?

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/battle_frontier/ep148.html

Dogasu finally got a comparison up for this episode.

No, they did not say Team Right. They said Team Rocket. Silly Dogasu. Dogasu will be getting an e-mail from me soon...

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 3:49 AM
This episode brung tears to my eyes... The music that was being played while James left his Chimecho was so sad! But the voice actors in this episode was not a good one. But they are soon to get better in the mare future. Which they do. Other than that, this was one extreamly sad episode! 7.5/10

pochamalover
26th April 2007, 8:51 PM
if anyone knows the song when chimecho leaves could they send a email to me through serebii

Arbok
27th April 2007, 1:34 PM
This was a sad episode. :/

I really liked the moment James was having a good heart, like when he powned Meowth and Jessie in that fight.

It was a good but sad Episode. I hope we'll see Chimecho again in the feature.

RedJirachi
16th August 2007, 7:54 AM
In case you didn't notice,Meowth broke the fourth wall by pointing at us and saying "and youse guys better cover your eyes!"

Sorry this may be bumbing but I had to tell you

Reign G
16th August 2007, 9:35 AM
...TR ALWAYS breaks the fourth wall. This is nothing new.

eimajamie
23rd August 2007, 12:26 PM
I liked this episode, it was a change from "See a pokemon, help a pokemon, the end" fillers that have gotten old

Dark Arceus
20th April 2008, 10:44 AM
The episode almost made me cry when James had to leave Chimecho, but at least he got Mime Jr. instead!

Electivirus
19th November 2008, 12:07 AM
After rewatching this (very emotional) episode, I have a quick question...what the hell happened to Phanpy's Hidden Power?! I didn't even know it knew that attack before I saw this episode. o_O

Torpoleon
20th November 2008, 12:49 AM
This was sad poor Chimecho and James gets a Mr.Mime and James goes against his friends(for this episode!)

Tadashi
10th December 2008, 8:55 PM
Well, I certainly didn't enjoy James leaving Chimecho behind. James really cared for it... and he's a really caring person in general. I guess this episode showed me just how much he does care.

getto89
31st December 2008, 8:22 PM
i cried this whole episode not because he left chimeco behind but because the voice change for James was so bad eric stuart was so awesome as James but this new guy. i know he has to make the character his own but i still dont like it.

Rommath
11th January 2009, 1:56 PM
Poor Chimecho, I liked that Pokemon...

This was a rather sad episode, James clearly didn't want to leave Chimecho behind, but at least Mime Jr. joined. Cacnea and Phanphy sure did give Jessie, Seviper and Meowth a thrashing though, which, I'll admit, they did deserve.

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 11:49 AM
I like this episode. I think Mime Jr is a lot better than Chimecho. But seeing him leave Chimecho like that was painful.

Littlemyuu
5th March 2009, 6:44 PM
Oh best episode, it had my fave character and Pokemon...i miss Chimy..it was a great Pokemon...

Blue Snover
9th March 2009, 3:51 PM
I think Mime Jr. made a nice addition to Team Rocket, he brings a bit of extra comedy to them.

It was a little strange that Munchlax seemed to recover faster than Chimecho, and it was really sad when James left it behind.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 12:20 PM
it was a bit of a sad episode when james left chimecho, oh well good episode iguess.

CliveKoopa
4th August 2009, 11:09 AM
This is a great episode. Nice to see a different side to James and him turning against Team Rocket. In response to some of the earlier posts, who is Manene? I knew James caught a Mime Jr, which was always copying his hand and face movements but some earlier posts are saying he caught a Manene. I am assuming that Manene is the Japanese word for Mime Jr.

Shadow XD001
9th August 2009, 3:50 PM
I feel sorry for James. He had to leave behind his dear-loving Chimecho. At least he got Mime Jr. Mime Jr. has been a great addition to the team and i love when mimics James sometimes.

Willow's Tara
7th November 2009, 8:13 AM
In case you didn't notice,Meowth broke the fourth wall by pointing at us and saying "and youse guys better cover your eyes!"

Sorry this may be bumbing but I had to tell you

I don't remeber that part, unless you are talking about when Meowth and Jessie were alone and they did that evil laugh part. I thought James said you better cover your eyes to the two sometime during it.

I don't think the episode was that bad, I think James seem to shine in this kind of episodes Holy Matriomy for example. Although their voices weren't so great but they do get better (I have been watching 1-half of 11 marathon, it's really strange when you are watching S8 and then S9 the voices change, I know why though)

Lorde
20th November 2009, 4:27 AM
I don't like the dub title but I really liked the story in this episode. We got to meet some of James' old caretakers at his summer home which was a surprise. They both seemed like nice people and it's sad to see James disappoint them by being a criminal. Anyway, I'm glad James left Chimecho behind. I didn't want it to suffer along with TR for the rest of the saga so it's better for it to have stayed behind. I'm also glad that James got Mime Jr. as a replacement. A happy ending, in a way. 8/10.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 3:28 PM
Too bad that Chimecho left. it was so poor...

but Mime JR is cute too, so it's fine.

5/10

Hikari Paradise
28th July 2010, 10:53 AM
Poor James and chimecho. A very deep episode that nearly moved me to tears. I'm so glad that he got mime jr. to help ease the pain a bit.

Painkiller2001
18th November 2010, 8:05 PM
I have never come so close to crying at Pokemon since I saw Heroes. The part where James was pretty much saying goodbye to Chimecho was that sad. I am glad he got a new friend in Mime Jr. Also, like someone said a few pages back, how did Munchlax and Chimecho get sick?

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 11:16 AM
Nice to see an episode focussed on James

G50
26th April 2011, 2:35 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Mime Jr. for the 1st time. Mime Jr. was really cute! I'm glad James ended up catching it, but it's sad to see him have to leave Chimecho there. Mime Jr's mimicing of James is so funny to see every time. It was interesting how both Munchlax and Chimecho became ill in this episode. It was cool to find out that the mansion used to be James' get-away home. It was funny seeing the gang and TR pretend that James wasn't a part of TR at all.

40/100

TheEpicGoomba
27th May 2011, 3:25 PM
I lked this episode. I feel sorry for James having to leave Chimecho. Glad he got a Mime Jr though. Also Munchlax got sick too. Overall a sad episode.

couplesupporter
28th May 2011, 8:15 PM
I do like how he got mime Jr. afterward

TabiPianist
23rd June 2011, 4:02 AM
I love this episode! Its so sweet! Mime jr. Is so kawaii, and james was so sweet as a kid. I dont get why hes in team rocket.

Zoruagible
6th July 2011, 10:27 PM
I cried when James left Chimecho

Vipsoccermaster
8th July 2011, 1:58 AM
Indeed a sad episode. James may be part of Team Rocket, but there is still some good inside of him. He hates leaving Pokemon he truly loves.

Bulba the Great!
18th May 2012, 8:48 AM
Some of the new voices take some getting used to, but New!James is suited to this episode, probably more than Eric Stuart would've been. I adore the grandma's voice. So cute.

I kinda wish there was a better reason to leave Chimecho. Why were Jessie and Meowth so impatient? Rude. So sad to see the little guy go :/

Vernikova
2nd September 2012, 2:51 AM
Chimecho is so much better than Mime Jr and it's a shame it had to leave. I guess Team Rocket can't have too many Pokemon with them at one time.

RocketToTheMoon
3rd September 2012, 11:41 PM
Some of the new voices take some getting used to, but New!James is suited to this episode, probably more than Eric Stuart would've been. I adore the grandma's voice. So cute.
I agree, his new voice worked well with this episode, but IMO it was really bad in Fear Factor Phony. I'd pick Eric Stuart any day.
On the topic of Chimecho, I teared up when James had to leave him, but it wasn't exactly devastating to me. I skipped S9 when I was younger so I don't know if it comes back (I haven't read the previous posts either, obviously) but I hope it does.

Fulgore2005
31st October 2012, 5:03 PM
My favourite of the Battle Frontier episodes. I just want to cry every time I watch this episode. It's so sad seeing James leave his Chimecho behind. :'(

PokemonNation2000
3rd November 2012, 7:35 PM

I kinda wish there was a better reason to leave Chimecho. Why were Jessie and Meowth so impatient? Rude. So sad to see the little guy go :/

NO. Eric Stuart would've been wayyy better to me here. New James is the easiest adjustment to make however, NOT bashing Cathcart or anything, IMO. He's not bad at all, but I find Jimmy way too nasally and it's a bit distracting when he tries to emote. But Eric Stuart IS James IMHO. Of the three dub voices James has had, no one has shown that versatility and range Eric brought to the character. He could go from flat-out serious to absolutely hilarious in seconds flat. Say what you will, but personally I prefer Eric to even Shinichiro, homosexual stereotype in Hoenn included. Classic voice for James, and his best dub voice we'll ever hear for the anime IMHO. Eric Stuart FTW! ;)

His two favorite roles are Gourry and James. Interpret that as you will. IMO, Eric is better at Brock to me than James, but his James is still a timeless classic and far above his successor's work thus far. He's my pick for best dub voices for both characters, absolutely no questions asked.

Not that I don't respect your opinion Bulba but to me James in my mind always screams Eric Stuart. EEEE and OOOOHHHH's included. :)

I agree, his new voice worked well with this episode, but IMO it was really bad in Fear Factor Phony. I'd pick Eric Stuart any day.
On the topic of Chimecho, I teared up when James had to leave him, but it wasn't exactly devastating to me. I skipped S9 when I was younger so I don't know if it comes back (I haven't read the previous posts either, obviously) but I hope it does.

Exactly: Eric Stuart is the best VA for James IMHO. He could easily pull off serious James (proof is just watch Kanto-mid Johto and serious moments in the Hoenn Saga dub). He could do hilarious James (late Johto-early BF) too. People just dis' him for saying "oh he's too homosexual in Hoenn and BF derp." Yeah, but that's because Eric was obviously trying to make James even more comedic than he already is (a joke villain), and I know he could do this moment well if he wanted to (or sadly, if he was given the chance to do so but I digress). That being said Jimmy/James Cathcart is not bad at James: he was the easiest to grow on of the current voice crew, and is good, but he is not on par with Stuart (even in BW)...better than Ted, yes, though. I will give James C. that much at the least. He's not nearly as 1D as Ted Lewis was (though again Ted is closest to Shinchiro overall because he never could do hilarious James barring some lines like "it's times likes these that make me wanna go straight!")

Now, as for the dub, here's what I thought:

Sarah was way too apathetic in this episode, almost lifeless, as Ash. Bland and forgettable. Subpar.

Bill was alright as Brock, not too deep but not natural in his work as Brock. Average. (Here, he was trying a Stuart impression and it still worked for Brock until DP came along and Bill forever went down the toilet in the role).

Michele was a bit weak as May: nothing special here. Subpar.

Kayzie was alright as Max, though the voice she uses sounds so very wrong for his character. Subpar.

Jimmy was alright as Meowth and good at James in this episode. His work as Meowth at this point in time was a genuine Maddie imitation (why he didn't keep this voice and made it ten times deeper, I do not know, I like this voice more here than in BW). Same can be said for James (lately he's been way way too nasally in the role in BW and he cannot pull off serious James at all there) but here he's a little good at the role. Sure he's no Eric Stuart (obviously not that good by any means), but at least it seems like he's trying to emulate Eric's work, so props to him here. Only, why does he call Chimecho, "CHIME?" Odd considering James called Chimecho, "Chimecho," all episodes prior to this one (even in Fear Factor Phony!).

Sub: 97/100
Dub: 62/100

Rapidash01
13th January 2013, 3:23 PM
Indeed a sad episode. James may be part of Team Rocket, but there is still some good inside of him. He hates leaving Pokemon he truly loves.

Yeah, he really loves his Pokemon and you also see that in Sinnoh when he leaves his Cacnea with Gardenia so it will become stronger. And if he wasn't a member of Team Rocket he would be a great trainer and a force to be reckoned with.

ashiemore
6th June 2013, 2:59 AM
Liked the episode, but didn't like james losing his chimecho... I liked it as part of the motto.
~ashiemore

Dawn+Serena Fan
27th June 2013, 12:13 AM
This was a pretty good episode. It was pretty emotional, especially near the end.

PokemontrainerY
24th July 2013, 5:25 PM
This episode was touching ....... and one of the best battle frontier episodes in My opinion. It was surprising that the mansion used to be James' old get-away home. James catching Mime Jr. was nice, but it's sad when he had to leave the poor Chimecho at the end. This episode was nicely animated and it showed the caring side of James, which is rare.

Painkiller2001
14th November 2014, 3:41 AM
These kinds of episodes, one's where we get more back story on one of the TR members, are always entertaining to watch.
They had to play that song and make that one scene even sadder, didn't they? And I mean that in a good way! :)

Lorde
30th November 2014, 2:12 AM
Munchlax and Chimecho both falling ill was way too convenient in my view, but I liked the way James's family's old home looked; it was a palace for God's sake. I didn't think they were that rich. I also wondered if the Weepinbell from his childhood flashback was his old one from OS. Anyway, I liked that James got a ton of character development here.