PDA

View Full Version : The part of a manga series that attracts you the most is.....?

AKEBOSHI
16th October 2005, 4:40 PM
Art?
or Plot?
Characters themselves?
Other? Fighting scenes?

I personally don't mind the art itself as long as it wasn't too 'amateur-ish' but it has to have a decent plot or strong characters, and the mangas I usually like reading has fighting scenes, is comedy or was one of those detective stories.

My favs are Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Deathnote, and I'm recently hooked on Detective Conan/Case Closed and Blade of the Immortal o.0;I prefer art drawn more realistcally, but just as long as the eyes aren't too huge or 'cute' 0.-; or otherwise that is just annoying for me.

Riaf
16th October 2005, 4:42 PM
Basically art and humor. It the story fills with the the dread by the first chapter, then I'm sure I'd be better off reading something else.

That Scary Clefairy
16th October 2005, 8:23 PM
There alot of things I look for. The art(which I look for mostly realistic works), the characters(to see if they are interesting), and the plot( to see if I'll enjoy the plot). I also like to read mangas that takes place out side of Japan to see Japanese portrayal of foreign characters. It an interesting thing.

That way I like series like Berserk, Eden, etc.

hikari_blaze
16th October 2005, 8:36 PM
I like reading the romance parts in a manga. ^__^

I get uncomfortable see violence. O______O

HK
16th October 2005, 9:08 PM
Probably the biggest two things for me is the art work and the characters. Even though the idea and characters were interesting, the art really turned me off in Elfen Lied and Hen, for example. But the art in say, Berserk, Hellsing, Trigun/Trigun Maximum, and Gantz really draws me to the series.

The characters are very important to me because if they are realistic and well done then I abo****ely love the series. Again, the above four for art work also represent that case, as well as others in Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note. Berserk, to me, is a representation of what should be done in the cases of very serious series for characters, and from what I have heard of it, Monster also pulls it off quite well.

Plot is the third most important thing to me, but I have read manga where the plot isn't that essential and in-depth -- i.e. Gantz and Hellsing.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
16th October 2005, 11:05 PM
I dont realy care about the Art, mine all difer from Good (like FMA) To not so good (SCRYED). I like story line,ones that have complexity to them, and Chareters. I couldnt read a manga that had poor chareters

BlackCat
18th October 2005, 4:03 AM
The thing that really draws me into a manga is the same thing that will draw me into a book: The title. If the title catches my eye, then I will pick it up and see what it is about. And that leads to the major thing that attracts me, the subject matter/plot. But can be a mix of things really, it differs. (Like I hate romance but I read Full Moon wo Sagashite because of the art) But how unique it is also plays a role. Look at my favorite magna, Fullmetal Alchemist. I didn't even know what an Alchemist was when I read it, but it lead me to do enough research on it that I could write a paper about Alchemy if need be. XD Even another of my favorites, King of Bandits: Jing, is different. Yeah, the art isn't all the great, but it's so funny! XD

Ok, I'm rambling, shutting up now.

Cipher
12th November 2005, 11:28 PM
1. Characters
2. Art

Yes, plot is very important, but characters are what pull it all together. You can have the most thought provoking manga in the world, but if the characters are dull, it doesn't matter. Likewise, if you have truly zany/appealing characters, a shallow plot doesn't matter. The reader will still come back for more. One of my favorite series, for example, Hellsing, despite a few moments of depth, basically acts like its drawing plot ideas out of a hat, and adds totally inticing characters in stead. The characters are all very crazy and interesting, which makes me want to keep on reading it, along with the second most important trait...

The art. Now, art can't make up for poor plot or characters, but it can draw you in despite major flaws in other elements. I really enjoy very styalized/unrealistic art. I don't read manga to see real life, I want to see something really eye popping or bizzare looking. It's an aspect of storytelling unique only to visual medias, so they might aswell take full advantage of it. If the art is unremarkable, I might as well go read a book.

Kokukirin
13th November 2005, 1:35 AM
1. Thoughts/Ideas
2. Story/character
3. Artwork

hikari_blaze
13th November 2005, 4:08 AM
What attracts me is when I come to a moment with my favorite couple and humor scenes.

Fleabitten
14th November 2005, 8:59 PM
The top for me is the characters and their development, and storyline is like kinda even with it. I don't want to go out and spend ~$10 a pop if the plot is boring/makes no sense/can't make heads or tail of what the hell's going on (this doesn't include manga that just with hold info to keep you in the dark for plot reasons)/can't get its story straight (contradicting)... Then art. I can't take very simplistic artwork, or if it looks odd (s'why I could never get into One Piece or Yu-Gi-Oh!, even though I had heard so much good things about them). I find that kinda funny cuz when it comes to real life aesthetics are very low on my priority list when I meet people.

...and now I'm just straying off-topic so for people who don't wanna read all that mixed up junk...

1. Characters
2. Plot/Storyline
3. Art

Torchic23
7th January 2006, 10:04 PM
I look for one with art that is at least good enough to understand what's going on. A good plot is imporent as well, I prefer a plot that is unquie. That's how I like my mangas

That Scary Clefairy
7th January 2006, 10:52 PM
umm this thread is bumped! By a month and a half!