PDA

View Full Version : A Chip Off The Old Brock (425)

Serebii
20th October 2005, 4:48 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/425.jpgA Chip Off The Old Brock

While Ash & Brock are training for the Battle Arena, while training Brock's Mudkip evolves, and then in battle with a Flaaffy, due to it's newfound power it causes the Flaaffy to get injured. Ash & Co. need to seek out a pharmacist to help heal this trainer's Flaaffy...will they find one?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/425.shtml)

Discuss

legendery colecter
20th October 2005, 4:52 PM
i hope they do find one for that poor flaffy :(

.Bambi.
20th October 2005, 5:42 PM
So Mudkip does evolve?
Excellent. This is seemingly going to be a great episode. Mudkip [oh, sorry, Marshtomp] gets some more screen time and my favourite Electric Line is Co-Starring!

Can't wait to see the episode.

Thriller
20th October 2005, 6:39 PM
So the episode really has nothing to do with love? Good. At least 4Kids won't try to name it "Love, Flaafy style!"

So Mudkip does evolve? Good and Bad. Good because its an evolution and I like those, also it may now do more than water gun. Bad because it evolved before Corphish. WTF? Does Corphish need to be at level a million to evolve?

Can't wait for pics.

Serebii
20th October 2005, 6:46 PM
Oh it does have stuff about love...

Thriller
20th October 2005, 6:48 PM
Question 1: Did Mudkip REALLY evolve? (bad question)

Question 2: What attack to Marshtomp use to injure Flaaffy?

Serebii
20th October 2005, 6:52 PM
Yes Mudkip did evolve

Dreamcoat
20th October 2005, 7:01 PM
Question 2: What attack to Marshtomp use to injure Flaaffy?

Mud Shot would be a good guess.

Jash Thor
20th October 2005, 7:25 PM
THANK GOD.

It's good to finally see Mudkip evolve. With all of the wasted potential building up, I was glad to see this. I was happy when Manene joined TR, but to see Chimecho leave after doing next to nothing left me bitter. This is my revival though. I'm incredibly happy to finally see the little blue guy getting the attention he deserves.

Addydo
20th October 2005, 7:28 PM
Does anyone know if his Marshtomp knows Muddy Water!?

zapdos master
20th October 2005, 7:34 PM
marshtop doesnt learn muddy water unitl after the chance to evolve to swampert though

Gravy
20th October 2005, 7:40 PM
marshtop doesnt learn muddy water unitl after the chance to evolve to swampert though
Yeah, took me a good 30 seconds to figure out what that said...

Marshtomp learns Muddy Water at level 30 something in-game, so I don't see why it shouldn't be able to learn it right off the bat in the animé.
Though saying that, I doubt Muddy Water is going to make its debut any time soon. Its just going to be Mud Shot, and Mud Shot it shall be~

Flamez
20th October 2005, 8:37 PM
well mudkip evolved cant say im surprised still waiting so i can download this episode although im sure it will come up tom. Seems to be interesting.

Geki
20th October 2005, 8:47 PM
It's awesome that Mudkip evolved, I'm really happy. And learning Mud Shot is a bonus as well, you'd think that it wouldn't since the writers never give them signature attacks like Blaze Kick.

Lil Brother
20th October 2005, 9:28 PM
Yay! *happyily dances* The writers seem to be wising up.

...ironicly, my sisters Muskip evolved today as well.

PkmnTrainerJ
20th October 2005, 9:35 PM
Yay! Just gotta wait until it evolves again in 50-70 episodes. Stupid Zubat kind of thing. Also, what's all the love stuff?

Zabi
20th October 2005, 9:36 PM
w00t, it evolved! Now all I need to see is Combusken and Grovle to evolve!

Geki
20th October 2005, 9:55 PM
Which will probably never happen, but Ash NEEDS a Sceptile.

ghost master
20th October 2005, 10:02 PM
about time something happened to it. I've only been waiting since about mid AG to see something happen to it. Something tells me there may be a few more team changes/addition in store since we usually experience team changes at or around the same time.

FlamingRuby
20th October 2005, 10:05 PM
English title prediction: "Love Potion Number Whine!"

Controller of Flames
20th October 2005, 10:05 PM
wonder drug of love, with the amount of illegal drugs I can easily see 4kids freak out and quikly kill this title :p

vaporeon89
20th October 2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah! Mudkip finally evolves!! I've have been waiting this evolution

But there is a bad thing: Forrestress. I'm sure that Brock will be using Marshtomp for lots and lots of eps (thing that I want) , but Forrestress will be in the shadows for ages.

;134;89

PDL
20th October 2005, 11:09 PM
wonder drug of love, with the amount of illegal drugs I can easily see 4kids freak out and quikly kill this title :p

:rolleyes:

durg can also mean medicine...

FlamingRuby
20th October 2005, 11:10 PM
That's what i was referring to in my dub title prediction: "Love Potion Number Whine!"

Thriller
20th October 2005, 11:29 PM
Which will probably never happen, but Ash NEEDS a Sceptile.

Ash needs a Sceptile as much as he needs a Crawdaunt (Did I just say that! O_O)

Gravy
20th October 2005, 11:34 PM
Which will probably never happen, but Ash NEEDS a haircut.
I fixed it. Praise me.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
20th October 2005, 11:34 PM
I think Ash should just hurry up finish the fronteir ASAP and move on with the next region.

Yay Mudkip evolves and I'll have to now watch that ugly coloured Marshtomp. Oh why did it have to have that colour? I'm hoping he doesn't get used much or just hurries itself up and evolves into a Swampert to get things over with.

But this episode.. it seems alright for now.

JazzJazz
20th October 2005, 11:40 PM
Ash NEEDS a Sceptile.

When will you learn, none of the characters really need anything... they can manage with whatever the writers choose to give them.

I wonder if marshtomp will be neglected as much as mudkip... only being brought out to douse fires or foil Team Rocket occasionally.

PlusleMinun
20th October 2005, 11:48 PM
All I must say is: It has finally happened!

Everyone thought this was never going to happen but it did! FOr the first time ever all 3 starters evolved to their 1st stage evolutions. Grovyle, Combusken, and Marshtomp. It has been 124 episodes but still I am very happy this has happened! This seems like it will be a good episode (waiting for pictures tomorrow, as I don't live in Japan). Can't wait for it to be in America.

ChaosMage
21st October 2005, 12:16 AM
An... evolution? It happened! It finally bloody happened!!! Yes! Mudkip has evolved and my entire life is worthwhile! Corphish, Grovyle and Combusken have hope!

All evolution nuts- this is the first day of a wonderful new era, and the first episode worth watching for us since that Butterfree episode (or so we thought!)

No wonder Mudkip wasn't in the preview very much, it evolves before the story even starts! That doesn't happen very often!

MagicBox
21st October 2005, 12:30 AM
So Mudkip did evolve, eh? Awesome, after 67 episodes, the last horse finally crosses the finish line. I'll miss seeing a Mudkip (who am I kidding, we barely ever saw it), but I'm glad Brock has a new Pokemon. This is the first time all three starters have evolved. I can't wait to see it in action. This is also the 4th time Ash and Brock have a battle, so that should be good as well.

I can't wait for an in-depth summary.

CyberCubed
21st October 2005, 12:30 AM
I wonder if marshtomp will be neglected as much as mudkip... only being brought out to douse fires or foil Team Rocket occasionally.

Most likely. Brock doesn't battle enough to warrent him using his Pokemon. It'll probably only come out for picnics and water gun antics.

JazzJazz
21st October 2005, 12:38 AM
Most likely. Brock doesn't battle enough to warrent him using his Pokemon. It'll probably only come out for picnics

He can use its mud shot for his cooking... some type of clay oven. Other than that, the thing is just a decoration for his belt.

Feity
21st October 2005, 12:55 AM
...the Mareep line gets sick and needs medicine... again?

S.Suikun
21st October 2005, 1:22 AM
Like last week's episode showed, certain Pokemon being showcased in the intro together means NOTHING.

Momoko Lover
21st October 2005, 1:31 AM
I'm really looking foward to this episode, I wanted Brock's Mudkip to evolve first, but I guess they saved the best for last,IMO.

Medea
21st October 2005, 1:41 AM
It's about friggin' time! I'm sorry but Brock's Mudkip should have evolved sometime before this! Can't wait to see what 4Kids does to this!

The Big Al
21st October 2005, 1:54 AM
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy...*smacked over the head*

Mudkip finally evolved. Though it probably doesn't mean much. Still it's nice to see after the disappointment the Battle Fronteir has quickly bee becoming.

V Faction
21st October 2005, 3:02 AM
How bittersweet. Yay, we got an evolution! It was... Mudkip...

Will this really seal the deal on Mudkip's fate? We all know what happens to Brock's evolved Pokemon. Dun-Dun-Dun

Lil Brother
21st October 2005, 3:13 AM
Will this really seal the deal on Mudkip's fate? We all know what happens to Brock's evolved Pokemon. Dun-Dun-DunAside from poor Forretress, they always get the Hell spoiled out of them. :P

Then again... he's only had Crobat and Forretress. Ah well, let's just hope for the former.

Missingno. Master
21st October 2005, 3:27 AM
AH-HAH! I knew it! Mudkip IS probably going to be the Hoenn Zubat! Just wait; Brock will find unreasonable excuses to bring Marshtomp out in EVERY episode, and 10-20 episodes later, he'll become a Swampert, and STILL be overused. But for the time being, let's praise the writers for their much-needed (albeit slightly late *coughchimechocough*) surge of intelligence. They finally remembered that Brock had a Mudkip. THey were probably like;

Writer 1 *looking through early Hoenn episodes, seeing Brock's Mudkip* Yo, Al, what's that?

Writer 2; What?

Writer 1; THat blue thing Brock's got. YOu know, with the freaky fin on its head...

Writer 2; A Mudkip? Brock has a Mudkip? Yeah, right. Next, I suppose you'll be saying that Ash used to own a Pidgeot and Primeape! HAH! As if!

Writer 1; Apparently, Brock does have a Mudkip.

Writer 2; Well, we did plan on incorporating the Mareep family into the next episode somehow.... Hey, let's fit in an evolution for that Mudkip as well!

Writer 1; Great idea! Say...

Writer 2; What?

Writer 1; THis seems just like the situation back hundreds of years when Brock had a Zubat; We forgot it existed until late Johto.

Writer 2; Nah, you must be working too hard.

Team Rocket Admin
21st October 2005, 3:38 AM
AH-HAH! I knew it! Mudkip IS probably going to be the Hoenn Zubat! Just wait; Brock will find unreasonable excuses to bring Marshtomp out in EVERY episode, and 10-20 episodes later, he'll become a Swampert, and STILL be overused. But for the time being, let's praise the writers for their much-needed (albeit slightly late *coughchimechocough*) surge of intelligence. They finally remembered that Brock had a Mudkip. THey were probably like;

Writer 1 *looking through early Hoenn episodes, seeing Brock's Mudkip* Yo, Al, what's that?

Writer 2; What?

Writer 1; THat blue thing Brock's got. YOu know, with the freaky fin on its head...

Writer 2; A Mudkip? Brock has a Mudkip? Yeah, right. Next, I suppose you'll be saying that Ash used to own a Pidgeot and Primeape! HAH! As if!

Writer 2; Well, we did plan on incorporating the Mareep family into the next episode somehow.... Hey, let's fit in an evolution for that Mudkip as well!

Writer 2; What?

Writer 1; THis seems just like the situation back hundreds of years when Brock had a Zubat; We forgot it existed until late Johto.

That's worth a big LOL in my book. Mudkip had been getting a lot of decent screen time over the last few episodes, so the writers were probably building it up for evolution. Now, onto Forretress.

♥~Darkness Within~♥
21st October 2005, 5:52 AM
Poor Flaffy I hope it wasn't a girl If it is OH NO!

Lupin
21st October 2005, 12:15 PM

Writer 2; What?

Writer 2; What?

That is brilliant, is properly what they were really thinking at the time. It is about time though that Mudkip/Marshtomp is going to get some desent screen time.

Serebii
21st October 2005, 12:32 PM
Can you people stop insulting the writers and stop those pointless "writer conversations"

Furizaa
21st October 2005, 12:51 PM
I for one am glad that Mudkip finally evolves. Is it just me, or did mudkip look way out of place in the First part of the Battle Factory episode?
http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/412/AG138.jpg
http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/412/AG142.jpg

Joe
21st October 2005, 12:52 PM
furizaa, yep, he looked way out of place there.

Anyway, yay for Mudkip evolving! It's about time that something good happened to one of Brocks pokemon! And hopefully, the egg mentioned a future ep title belongs to him too.

Furizaa
21st October 2005, 12:55 PM
Lol hi Joe! =P

I bet it goes to Ash. For some reason, Ash tends to have a thing for eggs... Togepi, Phanpy, Larviter...

Alfonso
21st October 2005, 4:07 PM
Can you people stop insulting the writers and stop those pointless "writer conversations"

Agreed on the writer conversations. Bad attempt at being funny, which equals instant phail.

However, saying that the writers suck is a matter of opinion. People are within their rights to express their opinion unless it hurts others... and last time I checked, the writers are not members of this forum.

Unless... Gravy... O_O!

Mudkip evolved... but will it make any sort of difference to the show? More than likely, not. Unless firing Water Gun makes a difference.

ChaosMage
21st October 2005, 5:44 PM
Then again... he's only had Crobat and Forretress. Ah well, let's just hope for the former.

Oh my god! You've forgotten Ludicolo already!!!

Capricorn
21st October 2005, 8:02 PM
While Ash & Brock are training for the Battle Arena, while training Brock's Mudkip evolves

Does that mean that Brock will participate to the Battle Arena ?

Serebii
21st October 2005, 8:07 PM
No it means Ash is training against Brock when doing it such as when they found PokéMopolis in Early Indigo

♥Princess Ketchum♥
21st October 2005, 8:07 PM
i am goin to mudkip *cries* oh well goodbye to mudkip

Gravy
21st October 2005, 8:12 PM
Agreed on the writer conversations. Bad attempt at being funny, which equals instant phail.
Damn right. Man, how I'd love to clobber the jerk who started that little trend *shakes fist*

Unless... Gravy... O_O!
Oh come on Alfonso, give the good people at TV Tokyo some credit! I don't think a savoury sauce that is typically used to coat an average english sunday dinner is capable of formulating such well written and action packed tales like these...

>_>
<_<
>_>

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
21st October 2005, 10:34 PM
While Ash & Brock are training for the Battle Arena, while training Brock's Mudkip evolves

I'm hoping they can end this battle and have Brock beat Ash. It just wouldn't be nice for Marshtomp to lose already.

JazzJazz
21st October 2005, 11:35 PM
I'm hoping they can end this battle and have Brock beat Ash. It just wouldn't be nice for Marshtomp to lose already.

It happened when poliwag evolved during Ash and Misty's battle for totodile... sure, it wasn't nice, but Misty was happy in the end to have a "new" pokemon.

Serebii
22nd October 2005, 12:12 AM
The battle is stopped when Marshtomp's Mud Slap or whatever it is accidentally hits Flaaffy through some bushes when Grovyle dodges

Seems Marshtomp is taking after Brock in the love department...even has a funny scene where Marshtomp acts just like Brock hehe

Good bits with Manene in the TR balloon too :p

Thriller
22nd October 2005, 12:14 AM
So was the Flaafy wild then?

Wild or not why would it be seriously injured over a Mud Slap? Its not like the damage they take is different if the attack is done after battle.

Serebii
22nd October 2005, 12:17 AM
No it was a trainer's Flaffy

If you were hit by something offguard, you wouldnt be able to brace yourself for it as if it was in a fight

CyberCubed
22nd October 2005, 12:18 AM
Seems Marshtomp is taking after Brock in the love department...even has a funny scene where Marshtomp acts just like Brock hehe.

Now that sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

V Faction
22nd October 2005, 12:51 AM
Jesus, not only are Brock's Pokemon becoming boring but they're becoming unoriginal as well.

They must take after the writers!

Sharpshooter
22nd October 2005, 12:53 AM
I think that would a be a first wouldn't it?

Brock's one of the rare characters in the anim&#233; not to have any of his pok&#233;mon acting like idiots,

Misty had Psyduck
Ash has had a few, mainly Charizard
May with Skitty and to a lesser extent Munchlax

Yeah it's a good move though, about time Brock had something of the sort IMO, even though the gags overdone as hell.

Gravy
22nd October 2005, 1:00 AM
BECOMING boring? Geeze V, where have you been? Disneyland? They turned boring the instant they were captured and stayed that way for the past 147fhiofj@Kcjd episodes.

On a totally unrelated topic, I'd like it if Marshtomp and Brock both fell for a pretty human girl, and ended up beating the crap out of each other in a manic fit of rivalry.

Yep.

V Faction
22nd October 2005, 1:02 AM
You're right, becoming was a bad word to use. Ah, erm, let's see. Are? Have Always Been? =?

Gravy
22nd October 2005, 1:06 AM
"Jesus, not only are Brock's Pokemon always have been boring but they're becoming unoriginal as well."

Its grammariffic! http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Works for me :p

The Big Al
22nd October 2005, 1:15 AM
Manene, The Big Al names you Sabotage.

Did they have the dumb baby Pokemon pushes both Pokemon, frakking over TR way back in Viridian Gym. Jeese, when I said I wanted some Kanto magic to return I didn't mean that.

So, the "Drug" was a potion for reengerizing Pokemon. Here I always thought you did it with a jumper cable and car battery.

Not much to ride home about, even with Mudkips evolution. The medicore Battle Fronteir continued. At least we get some good Pokemon butt kicking next week.

pikadon92
22nd October 2005, 1:25 AM
I don't get it. If the title says "Mudkip and Flaaffy! Wonder Drug of Love?" then why did mudkip evolves before see the flaffy?

FlamingRuby
22nd October 2005, 1:29 AM
Ha, ha...Brock's crazy romantic mode has rubbed off on Marshtomp...

ŁańkaŃ
22nd October 2005, 1:39 AM
Ha, ha...Brock's crazy romantic mode has rubbed off on Marshtomp...

yEA...i just saw the pics...i was laughing the first few scenes...and i was happy to see on my fava johto evo chain...pkmn..:D

but it ain't a happy ep for me...lol

but hey...cool to see Marshtomp....

i'd wish to see a good summary from this...when it comes...as it was confusing in PICS...lol i couldn't understand by looking at pics...and i usually can...lol

Capricorn
22nd October 2005, 1:40 AM
No it means Ash is training against Brock when doing it such as when they found PokéMopolis in Early Indigo

Oh. I thought for a minute that Brock would actually have something to do in the anime...

CyberCubed
22nd October 2005, 1:54 AM
Oh. I thought for a minute that Brock would actually have something to do in the anime...

That would never happen, as Brock is a supporting character and not a lead character.

The only characters with actual goals are the two leads, every other character (Misty, Brock, Max, and Tracey) are just supporting characters which the anime doesn't focus on.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
22nd October 2005, 2:32 AM
I saw the pictures and I only liked the Beginging. So now Marshtomp takes after Brock? I hope we'll see more of this coming from Marshtomp.

Geodude
22nd October 2005, 3:46 AM
The battle is stopped when Marshtomp's Mud Slap or whatever it is accidentally hits Flaaffy through some bushes when Grovyle dodges
Every time the attack was named, the words Mud Shot (or muddo shotto, whatever) were quite clear. No idea how you could get that confused with Mud-Slap.

PDL
22nd October 2005, 5:02 AM
I thought that Brock's Mudkip/Marshstomp was female... but it seemed to act maleish in this one... but then again, Temacu acted exactly the same way, so it shouldn't make a huge difference :\

I just hope that Marshstomp behaved much like Mudkip did (maternal-like and such with other pokemon)

MagicBox
22nd October 2005, 5:09 AM
Oh. I thought for a minute that Brock would actually have something to do in the anime...Aww, we all know better than to think that nowadays...

I just hope that Marshstomp behaved much like Mudkip did (maternal-like and such with other pokemon)From what I saw in the pictures, Marshtomp's personality was almost the exact opposite of Mudkip's. It didn't behave like Mudkip used to; it was basically a clone of Brock except when it was battling.

Wow, ever have high expectations about an episode until you actually got to see what was in it? I feel let down now.

JazzJazz
22nd October 2005, 5:35 AM
Marshtomp's personality was almost the exact opposite of Mudkip's. It didn't behave like Mudkip used to; it was basically a clone of Brock except when it was battling.

So, with Brock's new pokemon, we can hope for some comic relief and the occasional "blasting off" of Team Rocket... great! Though, perhaps (fingers crossed) I'll be surprised, time will tell.

.Bambi.
22nd October 2005, 6:59 AM
Guys, don't get your hopes up for Marshtomp being a testosterone-packed Mudkip. Ludicolo did the same thing when it evolved. It fell in love with Mawile...and then...*waves at Ludicolo sulking in the corner of Pewter Gym*

Awww...I'm so glad that Mudkip evolved. Just so that all 3 Starters are now equal.
I CANNOT wait until Ash, May, and Brock call on their starters for a triple attack blast-off! Because with Marshtomp, they'll all roughly be the same height. Those pics furizaa posted are awesome...and with Marshtomp it'll look even better. Yayz =O

Serebii
22nd October 2005, 11:25 AM
Every time the attack was named, the words Mud Shot (or muddo shotto, whatever) were quite clear. No idea how you could get that confused with Mud-Slap.
I'm lazy and couldnt be arsed to check :p

DSRGBA
22nd October 2005, 4:57 PM
why is it called Mudkip and Flaffy.......
mudkips only in it for 10 secs

The Big Al
22nd October 2005, 5:10 PM
Because they were trying not to spoil it. They actually did a half way decent job.

Jindai
22nd October 2005, 5:15 PM
Yeah, took me a good 30 seconds to figure out what that said...

Marshtomp learns Muddy Water at level 30 something in-game, so I don't see why it shouldn't be able to learn it right off the bat in the animé.
Though saying that, I doubt Muddy Water is going to make its debut any time soon. Its just going to be Mud Shot, and Mud Shot it shall be~
BUT! remember in the episode where May's torchic evolved into a Combusken? it knew sky uppercut right off the bat.

ChaosMage
22nd October 2005, 5:17 PM
I can't believe people would rather see Mudkip than Marshtomp for the rest of the saga! When Ludicolo and Glalie first entered our world, I knew that they'd be dumped pretty quickly after a few episodes of arse-kicking and dancing around. But this is a pokemon with better potential, and a character with real comedic value. Brock has always been hilarious, and his direct clone will be equally funny.

Oh, and Grovyle, Combusken, Ludicolo, Beautifly and Glalie all learned their signature move the second they evolved. And Swellow didn't take long to learn Aerial Ace. It's to be expected. So, if any of the gangs pokemon evolved, they'd instantly learn their new signature move.

Gravy
22nd October 2005, 5:23 PM
BUT! remember in the episode where May's torchic evolved into a Combusken? it knew sky uppercut right off the bat.
...and? Whats your point?

Blaziken master
22nd October 2005, 6:49 PM
Too be honest I wasn't satisfied at all with this episode at all.Mudkip evolved within the first few seconds and became a side character for the rest of the time.Other than the cute part with manene and underused mareep,flaafy and ampharos,nothing else caught my attention

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
22nd October 2005, 8:35 PM
I saw the episode and I guess I only enjoyed the begining just like in the pics. Although I did find Manene a bit humurous (sp?) when it pressed random buttons on the controller.

This episode reminded me of the Problem with Paras. Or atleast that's what I think it was called. The girl and the old lady.. I guess this episode was alright, but I liked last weeks more than this.

JazzJazz
23rd October 2005, 12:06 AM
Oh, and Grovyle, Combusken, Ludicolo, Beautifly and Glalie all learned their signature move the second they evolved. And Swellow didn't take long to learn Aerial Ace. It's to be expected. So, if any of the gangs pokemon evolved, they'd instantly learn their new signature move.

A lot of the time we see the evolution arise because of a need for a more powerful move...

Ethereal
23rd October 2005, 12:08 AM
I just got done seeing the ep about an hour ago....It was a pretty average at best filler, IMO. I mean, Mudkip's evolution was really awkwardly thrown in at the beginning. Marshtomp served like, no purpose in the ep other than to show how useless it was when using Mud Shot.

Bleh.

S.Suikun
23rd October 2005, 5:37 AM
I just got done seeing the ep about an hour ago....It was a pretty average at best filler, IMO. I mean, Mudkip's evolution was really awkwardly thrown in at the beginning. Marshtomp served like, no purpose in the ep other than to show how useless it was when using Mud Shot.

Bleh.
How does that make a filler, exactly?

Although, take out the opening sequence and it certainly feels like one...

V Faction
23rd October 2005, 5:45 AM
Answered yer own question, did ye?

Y halo thar Lombre episode.

Ethereal
23rd October 2005, 5:47 AM
Lol. Well, V Faction said it for me. You answered your question, Shining Suikun. If the opening sequence weren't there, you'd have 100% filler. ;/

DarkWobbuffet
23rd October 2005, 8:11 AM
Alright! Bout time Mizugorou evolved. Shame the rest of the episode was a lousy filler. The one-shot girl was pretty cute though. ^_^

On one note, has everyone noticed how much different they're making the eyes of these new characters? In the past, characters had narrow thin eyes, much like Satoshi and the other main characters. After looking at the sceenshots of this episode, it seems they're making the eyes more rounded and colored. I first noticed this with that one girl in the Koduck filler.

Sushi
23rd October 2005, 2:14 PM
Uhm...yeah, okay.
Mudkip's evolution was totally random, but whatever. I love Marshtomp =D
The scene where Brock and Marshtomp both fell in love with Momoko/Flaaffy was funny too (but Momoko and Mokoko? WTF XD).

I must say, though, that was the only part I enjoyed watching. After that, I just...watched.
Momoko's friend Ryuta reminded me of an uglier version of Sugio, and Momoko herself is a quite forgettable character.

I don't give a damn about Team Rocket this time, their constant provocations like, "Seems like we won this time" rather sounded like "Oh come on, blast us off already." Not funny.

The way they made the potions was interesting though. Er, yeah -_-

Overall, it wasn't horrible, but the story was weak and the characters bland.

ChaosMage
23rd October 2005, 5:27 PM
It's kinda wierd that Ash uses Grovyle to practise for the arena- against a Mudkip! Surely Forretress would be a better choice than that! Or even Combusken (still awaiting that battle!)

JazzJazz
23rd October 2005, 11:44 PM
Answered yer own question, did ye?

Y halo thar Lombre episode.

At least lombre was a main focus in its evolution episode, it was disappointed that Brock's new marshtomp didn't even get a lot of screen-time for its debut episode.

Yamato-san
23rd October 2005, 11:56 PM
usually, I'm happy when it comes to evolutions, but this time.... meh, you just know that Numacraw's gonna serve like absolutely no purpose in the long run. Hell, it barely served a purpose in its own evolution episode. Why the hell is Mizugorou even in the title? I mean, yeah, they didn't spoil anything, but you know, it's one thing if Mizugorou's barely in the episode with its name in the title, it's another thing when the thing Mizugorou evolved from is hardly playing a part neither. And I gotta agree with Haunter Hunter Sohrab, Mizugorou did have a brighter coloring which I'll miss a lot now that Numacraw's here.

So, like, other than saying than he was a breeder, getting heartbroken by the weekly girl having a boyfriend, taking notes on the medicine, and his Numacraw's Mud Shot unintentionally hitting Mokoko, Pikachu, and Merriep, did Takeshi do anything in this episode? Anything I may've missed with my limited knowledge in Japanese?

Ethereal
24th October 2005, 12:01 AM
So, like, other than saying than he was a breeder, getting heartbroken by the weekly girl having a boyfriend, and his Numacraw's Mud Shot unintentionally hitting Mokoko, Pikachu, and Merriep, did Takeshi do anything in this episode? Any useful advice he may've given that I'm just not catching with my limited knowledge in Japanese?
Nope.

10 char

charizardpal
25th October 2005, 2:17 AM
Wow this 9th season could be different than the 8th...

ChaosMage
25th October 2005, 12:53 PM

Yes, mostly because it's set in a different region and half the team has changed.

DarkWobbuffet
28th October 2005, 7:06 AM

Yeah, Season 8 has better episodes. >>;

Heracross
30th October 2005, 10:15 AM
What's all this? Takeshi taking notes on making pokémon potions? Brushing his Numakuro?! Holy forks!! (http://omgwtf.ytmnd.com/) :o

When was the last time he did anything related to breeding... like, back in that mid-Jouto episode with Yuki? As if his Mizugorou evolving wasn't enough of a surprise.

Speaking of which, the evolution just seemed slapped in there and they acted as if it wasn't even a big deal or anything. Pretty weak non-filler material if you ask me.

I hate it when the Rocket-dan strap engines to their balloon. Seriously, what's the point of even having the balloon part? It just looks tacky and ridiculous. And then when the rocket boosters fail and they fall out of the sky, the house is apperently undamaged. Riiiiight. >_>

On the good side, though - I liked that Mokoko and Denryuu got some more screen time since they've been pretty neglected in the animé thus far. The episode had some pretty good music too. The piece at the beginning is a classic, and I also liked the use of the Symphonic Medley.

Satoshi-tachi recognised Manene... wtfcontinuity.

And cute filler girls make a happy Hera~

Yamato-san
30th October 2005, 12:00 PM
And cute filler girls make a happy Hera~

"girls" was plural.... were you calling the old lady cute? 0_o

Though, I gotta say, I liked her as far as filler characters go. I just find those anime elders that give the impression of "I'm wise beyond your years and could easily whoop your sorry a** to no end thanks to my vast amounts of skill and knowledge" to be very cool (well... she was a sensei in potion-making, after all).

Heracross
30th October 2005, 3:07 PM
"girls" was plural.... were you calling the old lady cute? 0_o
Lol, no. XD I just meant filler girls in general and Momoko fits into that category... Except now that I think about it she actually wasn't a filler girl was she? XP

Oh well, you get the point.

Pokemon Fan
2nd November 2005, 8:00 PM
Brushing his Numakuro?!
I was wondering "what" exactly he was supposed to be brushing. Unless it was some kind of sponge brush that helped keep its skin moist.

Samayowa
16th November 2005, 11:25 PM
I'm happy that Mudkip finally evolved... isn't this the first time all 3 starters have evolved in one series?

Diamond and Pearl

charmander04
12th February 2006, 12:49 AM
;259; I am terrebily disapointed that mudkip will evolve but then again Marshtomp is pretty cool.

ChaosMage
15th February 2006, 2:18 PM
;259; I am terrebily disapointed that mudkip will evolve but then again Marshtomp is pretty cool.

So you'd be happier with another 130 episodes of Mudkip?

V Faction
16th February 2006, 3:46 AM
It took 130 episodes!!! Why bother changing it!?

ChaosMage
16th February 2006, 6:52 PM
It took 130 episodes!!! Why bother changing it!?

To show us there's still hope for Corphish and Combusken! That is why!

And yes, I do know how much you dislike their evolutions.

V Faction
18th February 2006, 12:20 AM
Didn't notice this yesterday.

Don't peg me for that! I don't see any harm in Corphish evolving, nor Combusken (down the line). If it means furthering their growth, so be it!

But Mudkip... That thing was a lost cause as far as I was concerned. I had pegged them for not letting it grow. I saw it as having missed its mark. In my mind, it was destined to stay Mudkip forever and have only that stinkin' Water Gun as its attack.

And then they evolve. And my sentiments are, "Why bother?" There was no reason. No calling. Mudkip evolving had absolutely NO effect on the plot, story, or otherwise. Evolving Mudkip after 130 episodes is like forgetting to buy someone a birthday gift, admitting to them you forgot, and then buying the gift two weeks from then! Mudkip evolving certainly didn't make me feel any better, even though its gift (See: Mud Shot) was nice.

CyberCubed
18th February 2006, 12:23 AM
Because it would make Brock look left behind with Ash's Sceptile and May's Combusken.

When it was Grovyle/Combusken and Mudkip it was fine, since Ash/May are the main characters who are always battling and their Pokemon deserved to evolve.

However once the writers planned for Grovyle to evolve again, leaving Mudkip as it is just felt off.

V Faction
18th February 2006, 12:57 AM
Listen, if 130 episodes isn't reason enough to show that they don't give a damn, I don't know what is.

Really, you say it yourself sometimes Cyber, when was the last time they gave two shits about Brock? So don't use that as an argument against me.

CyberCubed
18th February 2006, 1:01 AM
Well what else? To make it seem a little less obvious that the writers don't care about Brock?

His team is stale, it always has been stale. The only interesting Pokemon on his team was Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo, and he left after Hoenn ended.

Foretress is a lost cause, but nothing can be done with it as its already an evolved form. Bonsly is a new D/P advertisement, so that can be shoved down our throats without a problem. As for Mudkip, why not give it a new coat of paint to make it semi-more interesting? It was the only option available.

Now in the BF saga Brock has two newish Pokemon, a Marshtompt and a Bonsly. Makes it seem on par with May's two new Pokemon (Squirtle/Eevee), and Ash's two new Pokemon (Sceptile/Donphan).

Or maybe the writers just evolved Mudkip out of boredom. Who knows.

V Faction
18th February 2006, 1:06 AM
Or maybe the writers just evolved Mudkip out of boredom. Who knows.
Okay, I'm quoting this first 'cause I enjoyed it so much.

As for Mudkip, why not give it a new coat of paint to make it semi-more interesting? It was the only option available.
Because honestly, if they gave a damn they wouldn't be so neglective in the first place.

I believe someone used the analogy of throwing darts at a board and seeing where they landed to determine evolution. I like that analogy.

Silent Conversation
28th April 2006, 12:33 AM
Finally, Mudkip evolves! I've bben waiting for this for a very long time!

A Marshtomp suits Brock. I don't know why, but it does. I'm happy Mudkip evolves!

Anyways, Brock would do good with a Marshtomp. It would probably learn Mud Shot, which is a good attack.

I can't wait to see this episode! I have a hunch it's gonna be so cool!

C.J. Ray
10th September 2006, 12:16 AM
So the episode really has nothing to do with love? Good. At least 4Kids won't try to name it "Love, Flaafy style!"

WTH have you been the past two months? 4Kids isn't dubbing this episode, PUSA is. :rolleyes:

Anyways, this episode looks to be a really interesting one because Mudkip evolves, considering its one of the neglected Pokemon Brock has.

Judai Yuki
16th September 2006, 3:03 PM
O_o Brock sounds better.

-Judai

WaterDragon trainer
16th September 2006, 3:25 PM
This episode was pretty good. It was cool to see Brock's Mudkip evolve into Marshtomp, although I hate to see Marshtomp get all lovey-dovey like his trainer. It was funny how Mime Jr is always happy. Poor TR getting hit with 4 Thunders. It was good to see Mariah and the other guy (forgot his name) work together.

Judai Yuki
16th September 2006, 3:32 PM
TR got abused.L@wl

-Judai

rubyrulez
16th September 2006, 3:57 PM
This was a great episode. May's voice is definitely improving.

Linkdarkside
16th September 2006, 4:45 PM
yay mudkip evolve

IrkenAdolescent
16th September 2006, 6:27 PM
The only complaints I have about this episode is Max and Meowth's voice. Jessie, James, Brock and May's new voices are pretty good in my book. Ash could use some work, but I'll get used to it.

the purple-shirted boy strongly reminds me of someone from Fire Emblem.

S.Suikun
16th September 2006, 7:30 PM
Momoko = Mariah ...my prediction of Maria was actually pretty close! I wasn't able to catch Ryuuta's dub name, though. Anyone catch it?

Brock's voice actually felt like a step backwards in this, but May's is getting better.

Medea
16th September 2006, 10:58 PM
Well, this episode was okay for the most part. As I said before last year, just very happy that Mudkip finally evolved (since it was the last to evolve of the three starters). Momoko was such a cuttie and Ryuta was...Well, I guess I have that thing for filler boys. And (even though it pains me to say this) I'm starting to get used to the voices now.

OtterPops
17th September 2006, 1:32 AM
the purple-shirted boy strongly reminds me of someone from Fire Emblem.

I think its Wil (the archer guy) from FE7: Blazing Sword.
:P

I feel bad I missed the dub episode today... And it has my all time favorite Pokemon in it. :( Does anyone know when it will air again?

-;179;

Crimsonmon
17th September 2006, 1:33 AM
WTH have you been the past two months? 4Kids isn't dubbing this episode, PUSA is. :rolleyes:

I think you should check the date of that message.

Cobalt_Latios
17th September 2006, 2:12 AM
I feel bad I missed the dub episode today... And it has my all time favorite Pokemon in it. :( Does anyone know when it will air again?

-;179;
Not to worry, it's on YouTube. That's where i saw it today. Ash is starting to improve, as well as Brock, May and J&J. Max has also improved, but... Meowth just isnt what it used to be. Meowth even reminds me of the first Meowth, the one before Maddie.

For the episode, twas funny how Brock's Marshtomp suddenly fell in love with Maria's Flaaffy. Kinda like how his Ludicolo had a crush on that Mawile. Im starting to sense a pattern here. Also, when Max went to pull Brock's ear, i think Mays suddenly popped in and dragged Marshtomp and Brock away. Personnaly, i think May should be doing this. Hopefully in D/P Hikari will take over that role. Max is too short.

Also, it was kinda funny how Ash's Grovyle uses Bullet Seed, causes Team Rocket to fly off into a boat in a river, then the boat falls off a waterfall. Real unlucky. Also, I think Mime Jr. does a better role than Chimecho ever could, copying everything is quite entertaining. Though James still sounds like he has a cold.

All in all, a decent episode. Starting to improve.

~C_L~

HoennMaster
17th September 2006, 4:07 AM
Is it just me or do all older people in the PUSA dub have 30 year old voices? Not bad of an episode though.

And the guy's name was McCauley, weird name.

~Battle Frontier~
17th September 2006, 5:13 AM
In this episode, May reffered Ground type Pokemon as EARTH type Pokemon, lol.

S.Suikun
17th September 2006, 5:41 AM
For the episode, twas funny how Brock's Marshtomp suddenly fell in love with Maria's Flaaffy. Kinda like how his Ludicolo had a crush on that Mawile. Im starting to sense a pattern here.
*Waits for Bonsly to fall head-over-heels for a Minomucchi in Shinou*

Wasn't it Max?

CyberCubed
17th September 2006, 6:09 AM
Yeah, it was Max.

chosen_one386
17th September 2006, 7:10 PM
This episode was reasonably good for a filler. The voices are getting easier to listen to as well. FINALLY Brock's Mudkip evolves, like, TWO seasons after Grovyle and Combusken. The old lady had the same name as me. It's okay, cuz she's really smart to have figured out how electricity affects herbal medicine.

Oh, and Mime Jr. is the CUTEST thing!!!!!!! ^_^!

ハルカ and ゴンベ
20th September 2006, 3:00 AM
This episode was reasonably good for a filler. The voices are getting easier to listen to as well. FINALLY Brock's Mudkip evolves, like, TWO seasons after Grovyle and Combusken. The old lady had the same name as me. It's okay, cuz she's really smart to have figured out how electricity affects herbal medicine.

This is Not a filler episode, A filler is when Nothing that effects the story happens, Mizugorou's Evolution is something twords the story.

jolteonjak
20th September 2006, 2:44 PM
I turned this episode off about halfway into it. The voices are just terrible. I saw what I need to...Mudkip evolved; TR tried to steal the potions; Marshtomp no doubt saved the day along with the gaggle of electric pokemon involved.

Damn...someone needs to have an Ampharos...they're pretty cool.

wobbanut
26th September 2006, 2:41 AM
Well, thanks to Cartoon Network and their week-later (or two weeks) reruns, I finally got to see this episode. It was a bit unfortunate that I saw it out of order, because the new voices have improved episode to episode and this was definitely a step backwards. Overall, though, the story was pretty good. I loved May saying that evolving has turned Marshtomp into Brock Junior, Team Rocket saying they're naked after their disguises (but not their uniforms) are blown off, Meowth deciding not to make a comment about Jessie bickering about what kind of man James is, and Ash being totally confused about love at the end. :D At least the dub writing has seemed to have gotten sharper this season, I've heard some pretty good zingers this weekend (see my review for "May's Egg-Cellent Adventure").

Also, as far as voices go, I remember people complaining when "Abandon Ship" first aired that Marshtomp (in its first anime appearance) didn't sound like an older Mudkip (its voice was still too high). Whether one likes Marshtomp's new voice or not, at least the complainers got their wish.

Overall, 8/10. Now I just have to catch "Absol-ute Disaster" when they rerun it on CN, and I'll be all caught up with the Pokemon episodes.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 4:10 AM
Yeah, this episode was really good! I cant wait to see Brock get a Swarmpert. It would be a good pokemon to let his fanily look after and own at the gym. Other than that.

This episode was actually kind of boring, I thought that they would have had Brocks Marshtomp on the show more often. But they didnt. So im going to give it a 7/10. It would have been a 8 but it didnt show much of Marshtomp so its a 7.

Cobalt_Latios
21st April 2007, 9:38 PM
When they aired it here in Canada, that mistake was actually fixed.

Seems that there is some good for us.

~C_L~

ShinyManafi
18th May 2007, 8:30 AM
Ooh, I really liked this one. Marshtomp imitating Brock was pretty funny.

Knight_Ram
8th June 2007, 12:50 PM
I was re watching some Pokémon battle frontier episodes and had a laugh while watching this episode, great to see Marshtomp being just like its trainer.

Forretress Fan
27th May 2008, 3:34 PM
Great that mudkip evolved, but I mean All the way into the Battle Frontier, Nice to see a second Brock. Then the whole pharmicist bit kinda dropped down the episode.

GDE
26th October 2008, 9:06 PM
I agree, i hated the pharmacist part DX

Tadashi
28th October 2008, 11:34 PM
Aw, Mudkip evolved D: I loved that little guy. It's just not the same anymore... although, I was laughing insanely hard when both Brock and Marshtomp went ga-ga at the exact same time XDDDD

Just a thought; why does Brock need to brush Marshtomp? It's some kind of amphibious being, no fur included.

Oh Team Rocket... up to your old tricks again... well, I guess a Snorlax costume is better than a plain old butterfly net, 'm I right?

HoennMaster
29th October 2008, 4:40 AM
A habit with past pok&#233;mon?

Torpoleon
15th November 2008, 3:14 AM
Yay!Mudkip evolves!Poor Flaffy and Poor Brock and Poor Marshtomp.

Rommath
11th January 2009, 1:51 PM
Good episode. Mudkip evolving into Marshtomp and a rather interesting medicine theme. Team Rocket's Snorlax was funny, and then they lifted up the whole building with people still in it. Rather ambitious, though all the Thunder at the end must have stung...

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 11:51 AM
Hmm good episode. I don't like Brock too much or Mudkip. But I'm happy that a Flaaffy was a big part of the story. That's so cool.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 2:14 PM
mudkip has evolved in this one, it was an okay episode i guess, 7/10.

Littlemyuu
10th March 2009, 5:05 PM
It was nice that Mudkip evolved..its a good pokemon

CyberCubed
6th November 2009, 8:00 PM
I love how episodes where Brock's Pokemon evolve barely focus on Brock himself. Sure, he took notes on the medicine and commanded Marshtompt in battle a bit, but most of the story was about the filler characters.

It seems like the writers just evolved Mudkip out of pity. Hoenn is the only saga where all the starters evolved at least once.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 3:43 PM
I loved to see Mudkip finaly evolving. Marshtomp is much more strong.

And i loved to see an Ampharos.

6/10

Lorde
26th December 2009, 7:04 AM
Lol at Max calling Mud Shot an "Earth" type attack. I think that's what he said anyway. It was interesting. Mudkip was largely ignored in Hoenn but it evolved in Kanto, which is odd in and of itself. Loved to see a Flaaffy and an Ampharos again, and the plot; using them to make medicine was great. New and fresh which is a great step for the Pokemon anime. 6/10.

Painkiller2001
19th November 2010, 8:02 PM
Awesome! Brock's Mudkip evolves!

When I saw the episode "Abandon Ship!" I thought Marshtomp's voice would be that high-pitched in this episode. But, I guess they can't always keep Pokemon's voices sounding the same all the time, can they?

It was funny when Marshtomp fell in love with Flaaffy the same way Brock was in love with Maria.

When I first heard Maria say her name, I thought her name was Araya. Like Tom Araya from Slayer.

Every time I see an Ampharos in the anime, I like It a whole lot more.

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 11:15 AM
Good to see Brock's Mudkip evolving into Marshtomp.... hope it evolves into Swampert soon

G50
26th April 2011, 2:53 AM
This episode was ok. It was great to see Mudkip finally evolve into Marshtomp. Unfortunately its new move Mud Shot attack ended up harming a Flaafy since it was a Ground-Type attack. The way they use electric Pokemon to make medicine was really cool to see. It was funny to see Marshtomp falling in love with Flaafy. Marshtomp definitely has a much different personality than Mudkip did.

32/100

TheEpicGoomba
27th May 2011, 3:27 PM
This episode was good. It was awsome to see Mudkip evolve into Marshtomp. Nice to see It learn Mud shot too. Nice to see Flaaffy again too. It was funny when Marshtomp fell in love with Flaaffy,just like Brock ddoes with every girl.

7/10

TabiPianist
7th July 2011, 7:24 PM
Yay! Mukip evolves! I am so happy for it! Mudkip was one of brocks greatest pokemons.

Vipsoccermaster
8th July 2011, 1:52 AM
Fine episode. Mudkip evolving, and the medicine stuff with Team Rocket trying to steal the Pokemon, but their plan backfired when the medicine was a success.

Bulba the Great!
18th May 2012, 8:51 AM
..apparently it's pronounced 'Amphorous" now. Hm.

I appreciate the Meowth balloons gaining swirly eyes when attacked.

Vernikova
4th September 2012, 8:15 PM
That was a rather random evolution. There was no build up to it at all but I suppose that they had to do something with Brock. The episode it self was pretty okay for a rather random episode.

PokemonNation2000
13th June 2013, 5:22 AM
This was a good episode, and definitely one of my favorites in the infamous Season 9.

I really didn't like Bill's Brock in DP, but here it was an entirely different case for me. I feel he was the best replacement VA at the time, and this episode really gave him a chance to shine and acclimate to his role.

Michele did a good job imitating Lindsey Warner's Mudkip. Surprisingly I didn't notice much change here.

Bill did an okay Grovyle, I guess. Meh...

Sarah Natochenny couldn't emote at all as Ash here. I can't stop laughing at the, "Quick Grovyle use bullet seed!" line in particular. HAHAHAHAHA. XD.

May: "I've never seen Ash work it so hard before."

Ummm...WTF? Who wrote this line? Terrible...

Max's voice starts sucking majorly from this point until the end of Max's duration on the show. Kayzie now FAILS at his voice, IMO, from here up until AG192. Not at all even CLOSE to Amy Birnbaum's portrayal...pitiful.

Anyway, I really liked the episode anyway, and I loved how Brock made the potion using the ingredients. I also love how Marshtomp evolved and its interactions with Flaffy.

Bill did a good job here, IMO.

Dub: 80/100

Dawn+Serena Fan
27th June 2013, 12:36 AM
It was an okay episode, though Mudkip's evolution seemed a bit random.

PokemontrainerY
6th August 2013, 5:30 PM
It's great to see Mudkip finally evolveing into Marshtomp and learning Mud shot. I liked this episode's Cotd Maria, she was cute, and Hot too. It was hilarious when Marshtomp grasped Flaffy's paws and Brock grasped Mariah's hands to show attraction, Mariah's facial expression was priceless. May was right about Marshtomp being a Brock Jr. xD
Too bad Brock and Marshtomp had to leave them in the end, poor guys.

Overall, it was an OK episode with a few funny moments. The voice acting was a little better, but Max referring Mud Shot(a Ground-type move) as an "Earth-type" move was stupid! that was a silly dub error. Oh well, at least it wasn't as bad as the "Arbok evolving into Seviper" error in "A Fan With a Plan!".

zhixun
30th May 2014, 10:54 PM
Finally Mizugorou evolves into a Numacraw after a long time. It is funny that although he added his flirty side in addition to his original character. But still only learning Mud Shot is not good enough and he should have learn some other powerful water/ ground type moves.

Painkiller2001
14th November 2014, 4:17 AM
That was a quick* evolution for Mudkip
* - as in not even five minutes in to the episode

I'm baffled how electricity makes medicine 'better'...

Lorde
30th November 2014, 2:39 AM
Grovyle battling Mudkip and inducing its evolution was a good start, but those COTD's and their drama just didn't interest me much. I did think it was cute that Brock's Marshtomp fell in love with Flaaffy though and seeing Team Rocket disguise Meowth and Wobbuffet as a Snorlax made me cackle. TR lifting the house with their balloon was funny as well.