PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Manga Artists

Kokukirin
31st October 2005, 7:17 AM
A list of greatest manga artists. Now in alphabetical order:

In bracket are some of the important works of these artists.

A - G

Mitsuru Adachi (H2, KATSU!, Touch, etc)
- Many of his works are sport manga. However, he broke the tradition of sport manga containing mostly "hot-blood" and endurance. In his works, the characters could fight for a girl that he likes. This change influenced many sports manga to come after him.

Ken Akamatsu (A.I. I Love You, Love Hina, Negima: Magister Nag Magi)

Gosho Aoyama (Yaiba, Magic Kaito, Detective Conan, etc)
- Mostly known for the famous detective anime/manga Detective Conan. Yaiba, although overshadowed by Detective Conan, is a decent piece of manga.

Hiromu Arakawa (Full Metal Alchemist)

Hirohiko Araki (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

Kiyohiko Azuma (Azumanga Daioh)

CLAMP (RG Veda, Tokyo Babylon, X, Card Captor Sakura, Chobits, etc...)
- A group of female artists famous for their fancy artwork. Their first famous manga was RG Veda, and during making of RG Veda, they also began publishing Tokyo Babylon and X, as well as some shorter series of manga. CLAMP remained working on multiple manga at the same time to this day. Their art style began turning more simplistic in the mid 90's. They also influenced many mangaka after them and spawned several mangaka similar to them in style.

Fujiko Fujio (Doraemon, Hattori the Ninja, Pro Golfer Saru, etc)
- Doraemon affected a whole generation in the 80's and 90's. Doraemon's pocket contains not only numerous amazing items, but also everyone's dream.

Ryu Fujisaki (Houshin Engi, WaqWaq, etc)
- His most known work is Houshin Engi, which successfully shaped a few memorable characters. There are many jokes in the manga as well.

Tohru Fujisawa (Shonan Junai Gumi, Great Teacher Onizuka)

Kosuke Fujishima (You're Under Arrest, Oh My Goddess!)

H - L

Kazushi Hagiwara (BAST/-\RD!) <---yes, censor is stupid.

Daisuke Higuchi (Whistle)

Tsukasa Hojo (City Hunter, Cat's Eye, Angel Heart, etc)

Riyoko Ikeda (Rose of Versailles, Lady Oscar, Spring Snow)

Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk, Vagabond, Real)

Shotaro Ishinomori (Cyborg 009, Android Kikaider, Robot Detective, Secret Task Force Goranger)

Junji Ito (Tomie, Uzumaki, etc)

Masakazu Katsura (Shadow Lady, Video Girl Ai, Zetman, I's, DNA)

Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)

Yukito Kishiro (Gunnm, Gunnm: Last Order, Haisha, etc)

Takeshi Konomi (Prince Of Tennis)

Tite Kubo (Zombie Powder, Bleach)

Nanae Kurono (Peace Maker Kurogane)

Masami Kurumada (Saint Seiya, etc)

M - R

Hiro Mashima (RAVE)

Leiji Matsumoto (Galaxy Express 999, Space Battleship Yamato, etc)

Kentaro Miura (Berserk)

Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaa, and director of many animes...)

Shigeru Mizuki (Gegege no Kitaro, Akuma-kun, Kappa no sanpei youkai daisakusen)

Go Nagai (Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Grendizer, Devilman, etc)

Yasuhiro Nightow (TRIGUN)

Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go, Death Note, etc)

Eiichiro Oda (Onepiece)

Hiroya Oku (Gantz, HEN)

Katsuhiro Otomo (Domu, Akira, Legend of Mother Sarah, SOS Dai Tokyo Tankentai, etc)

S - Z

Takao Saito (Golgo 13)

Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal)

Masamune Shirow (Ghost In The Shell)

Kenichi Sonoda (Gunsmith Cats, Cannon God Exaxxion)

Kazuki Takahashi (Yu-gi-oh)

Rumiko Takahashi (Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, etc)

Yoichi Takahashi (Captain Tsubasa series, Hungry Heart, etc)

Natsuki Takaya (Fruit Basket)

Hiroyuki Takei (Butsu Zone, Shaman King, etc)

Naoko Takeuchi (Sailormoon, etc)

Arina Tanemura (Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Full Moon, etc)

Osamu Tezuka (Astro Boy, Black Jack, Phoenix, etc)

Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho, Level E, Hunter x Hunter)

Akira Toriyama (Dragonball, Dr Slump, etc)

Naoki Urasawa (Master Keaton, Monster, Happy!, 20th Century Boys, etc)

Yu Watase (Fushigi Yugi, Epotoransu! Mai, Alice 19th, etc)

Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin, Gun Blaze West, Buso Renkin)

Kentaro Yabuki (Black Cat, etc)

Mitsuteru Yokoyama (Tensuijin 28, Giant Robo, Red Shadow, Babel II, Romance of Three Kingdoms, etc)

Kaori Yuki (Angel Santuary, Boys Next Door, Earl Cain, etc)

A description for each artist is needed. Please supply your description for an artist that you know about in replies. I will copy and paste them under the names.

razorclaw
31st October 2005, 7:31 PM
Akira Toriyama for sure!

That Scary Clefairy
31st October 2005, 9:04 PM
I'm gonna add to that list and but in Kentaro Muira(Berserk) and Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal) If you haven't seen any of their artwork and stories, ou should cause they definetly deserve that title as well.

Kokukirin
1st November 2005, 8:08 AM
Instead of asking people to name them, I am going to take opinions from everyone and edit my first post. However, this does not mean I will always listen to what the majority says. For example, Osamu Tezuka will stay at #1 no matter what. The rest are open to discussion though.

I am thinking about getting 30~50 artists up there, but I need more nominations. Even better if you suggest where to place them.

Everyone is welcomed to disagree with the list. If you can give good arguments I will make changes accordingly. Simply put "XXXXXX owns omg" doesn't help, however.

Manga_in_a_Bottle
1st November 2005, 8:17 AM
Takeuchi Naoko, author of Sailor Moon. Pretty much started the "team-of-magical-girls-fighting-evil" thing

Chris
1st November 2005, 9:30 AM
Not just Dragon Ball for Toriyama. But Dr. Slump and his one shot comic series'. Especially Neko Majin Z. :P

That Scary Clefairy
1st November 2005, 4:26 PM
Takehiko Inoue never drew anything in Vagabond, he just wrote the story.

Chris
1st November 2005, 4:33 PM
Hm..there's also Hiromu Arakawa who did Fullmetal Alchemist and Eiichiro Oda who did One Piece. Both are currently making top-selling manga and caused humongous fan bases to come about, both American and Japanese (well, maybe not American for One Piece).

Super Wario 64
1st November 2005, 6:25 PM
The guy who does the Unedited Poke' Manga,i think that guy's name is Toshi-whatever.

Kokukirin
1st November 2005, 7:02 PM
Takehiko Inoue never drew anything in Vagabond, he just wrote the story.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Vagabond (バガボンド) is a manga drawn by Takehiko Inoue. It features a legendary samurai, Miyamoto Musashi. The book is based on the story of Miyamoto Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa.

As for FMA and Onepiece's artists, I am not sure where to place them...Probably after Masashi Kishimoto of Naruto? And I think I should move down Takeshi Obata a little bit. Any suggestions?

Manga_in_a_Bottle
2nd November 2005, 7:36 AM
Mizuki Shigeru, creator of Gegege no Kitarou and numerous other manga concerning youkai. Not so famous in the English-speaking world, but he's very much renowned(sp?) in his native Japan

HK
2nd November 2005, 10:08 PM
Ya know, is the list really that important? I mean, I find it stupid that one person just has a single ranking. Really, you should just list them in alphabetical order or somethin' considering that I certainly disagree with the way the list goes, and I'm guessing a helluva lot of others will disagree as well.

Anyway, Amano Yoshitaka, the manga-ka of the Guin Saga, is one that I would like to point out. While I haven't read it yet, this guy is one of the inspirations behind Kentaro Miura's amazing work known as Berserk. And even though he is a manwha (Korean comics) artist, Min Woo Hyung is another great one with series such as Priest and Ragnarok.

Edit: Oh, and let us definitely not forget the creator of the unvelievable masterpiece, Akira, and its manga-ka, Katsuhiro Otomo. Anyone who considers themselves a true fan of manga/anime should definitely know who he is. I consider this guy to be much more influencial than Akira Toryiama in terms of how he affected what should be done in manga/anime series.

That Scary Clefairy
2nd November 2005, 11:49 PM
Ya know, is the list really that important? I mean, I find it stupid that one person just has a single ranking. Really, you should just list them in alphabetical order or somethin' considering that I certainly disagree with the way the list goes, and I'm guessing a helluva lot of others will disagree as well.
I agree on that and it redundant that only he thinks the lramk list he made is correct. I disagree with his list too.

Anyway, Amano Yoshitaka, the manga-ka of the Guin Saga, is one that I would like to point out. While I haven't read it yet, this guy is one of the inspirations behind Kentaro Miura's amazing work known as Berserk.

That is SO wrong. First off, its a reading novel, not a manga. Second, the author and orignal story creator is Kaoru Kurimoto, not Amano Yoshitaka. Amano did a couple of the cover works but that's it. He didn't do all of them if that what you are thinking. Third, Kaoru is a woman.

Amano Yoshitaka is a great artist, but he's not a manga artist so that out of the question. Guin Saga isn't a manga.

Edit: Oh, and let us definitely not forget the creator of the unvelievable masterpiece, Akira, and its manga-ka, Katsuhiro Otomo. Anyone who considers themselves a true fan of manga/anime should definitely know who he is. I consider this guy to be much more influencial than Akira Toryiama in terms of how he affected what should be done in manga/anime series.

Agree on that one. Since alot of people and manga-ka were inspired from him.

HK
3rd November 2005, 12:07 AM
I agree on that and it redundant that only he thinks the lramk list he made is correct. I disagree with his list too.

Ah, there ya go. We got ourselves another disagreement here.

That is SO wrong. First off, its a reading novel, not a manga. Second, the author and orignal story creator is Kaoru Kurimoto, not Amano Yoshitaka. Amano did a couple of the cover works but that's it. He didn't do all of them if that what you are thinking. Third, Kaoru is a woman.

Amano Yoshitaka is a great artist, but he's not a manga artist so that out of the question. Guin Saga isn't a manga.

See, that's why I wished that I could read German. >_>

Agree on that one. Since alot of people and manga-ka were inspired from him.

Hell, having six volumes compiled from about two thousand (or was it three thousand?) pages is certainly impressive, and having a movie which is still f*cking amazing by today's standards is great.

That Scary Clefairy
3rd November 2005, 1:50 AM
I don't know German yet I found this out :p Besides, I told you this on aim.

Kokukirin
3rd November 2005, 3:29 AM
Added Katsuhiro Otomo. I am not certain if he has greater influence than Akira Toriyama or even Hiyao Miyasaki, so I put him at #3 for now.

Also, if you disagree with my list, feel free to tell me where the problem is. My list is just a starting point and I can't do much on my own since I havent read every manga on this planet. I am sure there are many problems, and I am trying to keep this list as open to opinions as possible.

Making a list of artists in alphabetical order would be quite pointless.

Genkai5000
5th November 2005, 6:15 PM
I think Kazuki Takahashi should go up there. The guy who created Yugioh and became famous for that. (This the guy's only manga...>.>) He has great art and the best work that I have EVER seen in any manga. I mean, the story never gets boring how Takahashi draws it.

And Takeshi Konomi, although he isn't a great drawer, Tennis no Oujisama (Prince of Tennis) is a super super super popular anime/manga in Japan. So I think he should go up there also. I mean, he has great characters and such. ^-^ Great manga and Ryoma Echizen, the main character, is the Japanese Tennis Association's Model since tennis was a dying sport in Japan until PoT came.

So those are my two people to go up there...Great manga artists and the best to me. (Well, Kazuki Takahashi...)

Kokukirin
6th November 2005, 12:32 AM
Added:

Kazuki Takahashi
Takeshi Konomi
Fujio Fujiko
Gōshō Aoyama
Tsukasa Hojo
Tite Kubo

I think I am still missing a few important names but I can't recall them for now...More to add later.

Luke Groundwalker
6th November 2005, 4:19 AM
Yasunari Toda is a great artist IMO, he's the person who made the art for Scryed. I've heard people say that they don't like his art but when you actually look at it you realize the detail he puts in each part of the manga. Even when he didn't revolutionized the manga industry, he was still a good artist. Meh, I guess that's just more of a personal opinion.

MugenKeiji
10th November 2005, 10:35 AM
Adam Warren and Fred Perry hands down...

Joking, joking. I'd have to be on a NUMBER of substances to even consider that. Or indicted in some institution.

I love older manga artists such Mitsuteru Yokoyama (Tetsujin 28), Shotarou Ishinomori (Cyborg 009) and the jack of all trades, sex ed major known (a little known fact) as Osamu Tezuka (Adolf, Metropolis, Black Jack, Tetsuwan Atom, Jungle Emperor Leo,) because I've a soft spot for cartoony designs. This is also why I love Monkey Punch (Lupin III, Cinderella Boy).

If Matsushita Susumu (Hudson's Adventure Island, Maximo, Monkey Magic) made manga, he'd be my favorite but I'll have to settle for Akira Toriyama. Some reason one reminds me of the other, save for the fact that both have worked on a version of the Saiyuki story...

Rumiko Takahashi is the love-it-or-hate-it type. She's worked on a lot and Inuyasha has made her a buttload of cash. She has a tendacy to put male characters "in their place". If Shonen Manga have girls on the sidelines as love crazed or "weak" characters, Takahashi's Shonen works usually have the male lead characters as either dense womanizing arrogant a**es, or sweet talking, pedestal placing control freaks. To be fair I haven't read or watched any of the Mermaid series, One Pound Gospel, Rumic Theatre or Maison Ikkoku. Just judging based on Urusei Yatsura, Ranma and Inuyasha so forgive my narrowminded judgment.

Yoshiyuki Okamura and Tetsuo Hara made Fist of the North Star, I guess they deserve their dues. I myself have never watched the series a lot nor read the manga.

The rest is based on opinion to me, artists who have at least one hit or popular series mostly found in Jump comics, CLAMP titles, a flavor of the month in terms of Shoujo, Yaoi/Yuri artists and best sellers.

If you like Gosho Aoyama, go ahead. If you like Maki Youko, I don't mind. Reiko Shimizu, more power to you. Tsukasa Hojo, whatever. Best is a title that comes from who receives the most recognition or works that appear in pop culture references.

Kokukirin
10th November 2005, 7:42 PM
I haven't been updating the list because of recent midterms and stuff. Thanks for the inputs though. I will update the list later.

"Best" is a subjective term. Sure you can set some criteria to define best (artwork, characters, story, etc), but this will easily put Yoshihiro Togashi and Takeshi Obata on top of Mitsuteru Yokoyama, which doesn't make sense to me. So I picked a more objective term "greatest" to compare them. Unlike "best", "greatest" includes influences and popularity. This may put some talented artists somewhat lower than they derserve to be at, but overall it is fairer and does not vary too much from person to person.

Here is an example of difference between best and greatest:

Best rock bands (IMO): Dream Theater, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple
Greatest rock bands: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who

You get the idea.

Cerberus
10th November 2005, 9:21 PM
Izo somthing, the man that done .Hack I like his style.

Master Ein
10th November 2005, 11:09 PM
Akira Toriyama 4 sure Dragonball Rules ^_^

That Scary Clefairy
10th November 2005, 11:48 PM
Ok Miyazki should definetly be #2. I dunno, why Akira Toriyama there instead.

Also I don't believe Kentaro Muira should be #16. He obvisously a much better manga artist(In terms of art, story and characters) than say Yoshihiro Togashi, Rumiko Takahashi, or Clamp. Same for Hiroaki Samura of Blade of the Immortal.

This has nothing to do with my faovites, it simply has to do with how I judge a manga artist by. Forget popularity. That doesn't determine what makes them good. Its the story plot, the characters design and personality and art style that I determine what makes it great. And those two( along with Naoki Urasawa, Hayao Miyazaki, Katsuhiro Otomo, Takehiko Inoue, Junji Ito, and Hiroki Endo) should definetly deserve being ranked high up there.

BTW, Hiroki Endo is the manga-ka for Eden, which is both a brilliant love song to the post-apocalyptic survival genre and the beginning of a deep exploration on man's role in the natural order. The art in it is gorgeous.

Three others I put for the stake of it just in case you might want to put it in are Masamune Shirow: Ghost in a Shell, Dominion, Black Magic; Kosuke Fujishima: Ah My Goddess, You're Under Arrest, ExDriver; Yasuhiro Nightow: Trigun/Maximum, Gungrave

hikari_blaze
11th November 2005, 12:42 AM
I love CLAMP-san's manga!! <3

Kokukirin
11th November 2005, 2:00 AM
Ok Miyazki should definetly be #2. I dunno, why Akira Toriyama there instead.

Also I don't believe Kentaro Muira should be #16. He obvisously a much better manga artist(In terms of art, story and characters) than say Yoshihiro Togashi, Rumiko Takahashi, or Clamp. Same for Hiroaki Samura of Blade of the Immortal.

This has nothing to do with my faovites, it simply has to do with how I judge a manga artist by. Forget popularity. That doesn't determine what makes them good. Its the story plot, the characters design and personality and art style that I determine what makes it great. And those two( along with Naoki Urasawa, Hayao Miyazaki, Katsuhiro Otomo, Takehiko Inoue, Junji Ito, and Hiroki Endo) should definetly deserve being ranked high up there.

BTW, Hiroki Endo is the manga-ka for Eden, which is both a brilliant love song to the post-apocalyptic survival genre and the beginning of a deep exploration on man's role in the natural order. The art in it is gorgeous.

Three others I put for the stake of it just in case you might want to put it in are Masamune Shirow: Ghost in a Shell, Dominion, Black Magic; Kosuke Fujishima: Ah My Goddess, You're Under Arrest, ExDriver; Yasuhiro Nightow: Trigun/Maximum, Gungrave
I put Miyazaki at #4 because most of his works are not manga. I agree he deserves a higher spot though.

Kentaro Miura is at #16 because I wasn't sure where he truly belongs. I will move him up, probably somewhere between 9~12. Same with Hiroaki Samura.

Yoshihiro Togashi will be moved down a bit, probably somewhere near 10. I don't agree Miura is better than him, but that's personal preference.

Masamune Shirow, Kosuke Fujishima and Yasuhiro Nightow will be added later. I don't know them enough to determine a position yet.

HK
11th November 2005, 2:54 AM
... Ugh. I think that you should just scrap the list all together and just like... alphabetize it or somethin'. I mean, yeah, everyone has a biased towards some authors, but really I think that it is unfair for one person to put a list together and expect others to refut it and explain who should be where -- that is just going a bit overboard. Basically, if you just put them in alphabetical order (by first or last name, your choice), then have your own personal opinion on who belongs where, that's fine.

My personal opinion, though? A lot of the manga-ka up there are Shonen artists. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to discredit Shonen artists, the genre, or those who enjoy them. Hell, I like it myself. But those stories tend to be in the mainstream more, and really, popularity does not determine the level of skill for an artist.

Now I know that you just changed your list, but I want to go on further about it.

Osamu Tezuka is arguably the best one, so I won't try to get a go at you there. For me, though, the rest of the list gets rather... vague. Naoki Urasawa needs to be up in the top five. I know that a lot of people tend to criticize his art style because they claim that it is rather bland and boring. Personally, while it isn't visually stunning like Oh! Great's art work (manga-ka of Air Gear and Tenjho Tenge), he has a sense of realism about the design of the characters that it is amazing. This man knows how to tell a story, period. You read any of his major works, then try to tell me that what you just went through wasn't just one of the most amazing things that you have ever read. Thing is, you can't. I'm damn-near done with Monster, and I have just gotten into 20th Century Boys and Pluto, and suffice to say, I'm in awe. His stories are so damn realistic it's scary. In the case with Monster, I have never actually looked at a page with fear whenever the main atagonist was on it. And what is the amazing thing is that when I consider who this is, it freaks me out even more. I have never, ever been affected when reading a series like that where I'm flat out terrified out just looking at the main antagonist.

That's just one example of the other artists out there who deserve a lot more credit than they get. Katsuhiro Otomo and Kentaro Miura are two others who just leave me astonished when I read their work. After seeing the Akira movie, then reading the manga version of it, then looking at Domu, it really makes me realize how inspirational that this guy can be. Kentaro Miura goes into philosophy and the dark aspects of human faith like I have never seen with Berserk on so many levels.

Edit: Again, let me say it: scrap the numbered list. I think that it would be better just to simply list them in alphabetical order and let people decide from there. My own personal opinion, but whatever.

That Scary Clefairy
11th November 2005, 3:20 AM
... Ugh. I think that you should just scrap the list all together and just like... alphabetize it or somethin'. I mean, yeah, everyone has a biased towards some authors, but really I think that it is unfair for one person to put a list together and expect others to refut it and explain who should be where -- that is just going a bit overboard. Basically, if you just put them in alphabetical order (by first or last name, your choice), then have your own personal opinion on who belongs where, that's fine.

My personal opinion, though? A lot of the manga-ka up there are Shonen artists. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to discredit Shonen artists, the genre, or those who enjoy them. Hell, I like it myself. But those stories tend to be in the mainstream more, and really, popularity does not determine the level of skill for an artist.

Now I know that you just changed your list, but I want to go on further about it.

Osamu Tezuka is arguably the best one, so I won't try to get a go at you there. For me, though, the rest of the list gets rather... vague. Naoki Urasawa needs to be up in the top five. I know that a lot of people tend to criticize his art style because they claim that it is rather bland and boring. Personally, while it isn't visually stunning like Oh! Great's art work (manga-ka of Air Gear and Tenjho Tenge), he has a sense of realism about the design of the characters that it is amazing. This man knows how to tell a story, period. You read any of his major works, then try to tell me that what you just went through wasn't just one of the most amazing things that you have ever read. Thing is, you can't. I'm damn-near done with Monster, and I have just gotten into 20th Century Boys and Pluto, and suffice to say, I'm in awe. His stories are so damn realistic it's scary. In the case with Monster, I have never actually looked at a page with fear whenever the main atagonist was on it. And what is the amazing thing is that when I consider who this is, it freaks me out even more. I have never, ever been affected when reading a series like that where I'm flat out terrified out just looking at the main antagonist.

That's just one example of the other artists out there who deserve a lot more credit than they get. Katsuhiro Otomo and Kentaro Miura are two others who just leave me astonished when I read their work. After seeing the Akira movie, then reading the manga version of it, then looking at Domu, it really makes me realize how inspirational that this guy can be. Kentaro Miura goes into philosophy and the dark aspects of human faith like I have never seen with Berserk on so many levels.

Edit: Again, let me say it: scrap the numbered list. I think that it would be better just to simply list them in alphabetical order and let people decide from there. My own personal opinion, but whatever.

I agree with almost just about everything he said.......WTF, you read the Akira manga too? You never told me that! Whatever. Like HK said, "popularity does not determine the level of skill for an artist."

Kokukirin
11th November 2005, 9:07 AM
The thing is, popularity and influence also define an artist. If we only consider artwork, characters, creativity, and story, Akira Toriyama can easily fall to 20ish.

Besides, artwork can be somewhat subjective. We can all agree Takehiko Inoue has better artwork than Takeshi Konomi, but what about Yoshihiro Togashi vs Takeshi Obata? CLAMP? They all have excellent artwork and different in style. It's like arguing which of Iron Maiden or Yes is a better band: every person gives you a different answer.

Character and story are subjective too, although not as subjective as judging artwork.

Also, manga gods like Osamu Tezuka and Naoki Urasawa don't have outstanding artworks by today's standard, but they totally blow others away in story and characters. On the other hand, Yoshihiro Togashi is easily more creative than those two. What about "one-hit-wonders" like Nobuhiro Watsuki (of Rurouni Kenshin)? There is no way for me to determine how important each category should be when considering the ranking. So I included their influence when ranking them, just to make the list more objective in a way.

I agree Naoki Urasawa deserve higher ranking, but he doesn't seem to fit into top 5. He is better than Akira Toriyama, no doubt. Greater? I don't think so. I'd probably put him above Takehiko Inoue.

And I am not sure if Kentaro Miura should be moved up a spot to switch with Junji Ito...

Manga_in_a_Bottle
11th November 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry, but I had to ask this: is there any particualr reason why you've decided to leave out Mizuki Shigeru? He did have great deal of influce on popularising youkai in manga

Sneaky
11th November 2005, 3:40 PM
I say the one who drew the Saiyuki Reload manga, they were absolutely stunning to me.

Shadow the Hedgehog
11th November 2005, 5:53 PM
YAY Kazuki Takahashi is on there. (He's my favorite)

Ken Akamatsu who did Love Hina, Maho Sensei Negima and A.I. Love you is also quite good. Love Hina was even voted as best manga of the year for the year of .... I forget.... But he is very good. (Even if it is a little pervy)

That Scary Clefairy
11th November 2005, 7:17 PM

Ken Akamatsu who did Love Hina, Maho Sensei Negima and A.I. Love you is also quite good. Love Hina was even voted as best manga of the year for the year of .... I forget.... But he is very good. (Even if it is a little pervy)

No way. Ken Akamatsu has horrible and repetive plots and characters with cliche beyond our knowlege. He doesn't deserve that rank.

The thing is, popularity and influence also define an artist. If we only consider artwork, characters, creativity, and story, Akira Toriyama can easily fall to 20ish.

If that's the case then Kentaro Muira definetly move up cause the merchandise and influnce in other media on the Big Dragon slayer and all really hits it. In Japan they have card, statues, figures, two big video games. etc

again, popularity is an unfair factor. You can have the most popular titles with an ok plot character and story but then there is a underated title no one knows about but has an outstanding plot, character, cretivity, and art.

Besides, artwork can be somewhat subjective. We can all agree Takehiko Inoue has better artwork than Takeshi Konomi, but what about Yoshihiro Togashi vs Takeshi Obata? CLAMP? They all have excellent artwork and different in style. It's like arguing which of Iron Maiden or Yes is a better band: every person gives you a different answer.

I think Obata has way better art work than Togashi. But then again this all comes to a matter of opinions in which you're list seems to say. I agree with HK on the alphabelize order sytem and stating each why they derserve the title. rather than just listing it to according to you're views.

Character and story are subjective too, although not as subjective as judging artwork.

If that the case, than let's but in Oh Great's Tenjo Tenge, even though his stories and plots are not the greatest. And lets move down Osamu Tezuka since his artwork isn't the most glorious :rolleyes:

Also, manga gods like Osamu Tezuka and Naoki Urasawa don't have outstanding artworks by today's standard, but they totally blow others away in story and characters. On the other hand, Yoshihiro Togashi is easily more creative than those two. What about "one-hit-wonders" like Nobuhiro Watsuki (of Rurouni Kenshin)? There is no way for me to determine how important each category should be when considering the ranking. So I included their influence when ranking them, just to make the list more objective in a way.

I really don't get what so great about Yoshihiro Togashi. I've read YYH and HxH and the story, characters, artwork and even the creativity doesn't make me go "WHOA, HOLY CRAP! THAT FRICKIN AMAZING"

I agree Naoki Urasawa deserve higher ranking, but he doesn't seem to fit into top 5. He is better than Akira Toriyama, no doubt. Greater? I don't think so. I'd probably put him above Takehiko Inoue.

All Akira Troyyanma has is well known characters and popularity influence. Without that, he would been in 20th place like you said before. Have he stop at end of frieza saga like he was suppose to, I would of given him a higher respect.

Also many shonan and shoujo(specifically SJ ones) titles tend to get more mainstream and recongition than other titles which is unfair for the underated titles that REALLY do have better class than the supposely popular title.

And I am not sure if Kentaro Miura should be moved up a spot to switch with Junji Ito...

move both up. Both are great.

HK
11th November 2005, 10:04 PM
I agree with almost just about everything he said.......WTF, you read the Akira manga too? You never told me that! Whatever. Like HK said, "popularity does not determine the level of skill for an artist."

Ah yup, I'm not quite done with it yet, but I am reading the Akira manga. Series is bloody f*cking amazing, and when compared to the movie, there is a lot more input on both Akira and Tetsuo that I really, really like.

If it wasn't for the fact that he sold out Yu-Gi-Oh to become a big advertisement to sell the cards, then I would say that he isn't too bad. Although I consider him highly overrated.

Love Hina was entertaining for... I dunno, 'bout the first few volumes then it dropped. FAST. The characters got cliched and annoying, and to be honest none of them really developed (or developed well/realistically at least). The whole harem and the "I love him/her, no I don't... yes I do... no I don't..." gets old.

Actually, popularity kind of hurt Akira Toriyama when it came to Dragon Ball, considering there were times when Toriyama wanted to end it but the fans didn't want it to end. The result? Well, everything after the Freeza arc was not all that impressive to me, and the fans' longing for more created the atrocity known as Dragon Ball GT.

Obata is definitely the better one. Togashi usually looks like he drew them when he was still waking up. I loved the Yu Yu Hakusho anime, yeah, but his art work in Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter is usually sloppy, and it doesn't improve as he goes on.

There are opinions, yes, but that doesn't mean that there isn't really a correct answer.

Continuing from what TSC said... Oh! Great should automatically be put up there, cause his art work (particuarly his color pages) is some of the most beautiful that I have seen in manga. Does that make him a great manga-ka, though? No.

... Yoshihiro Togashi... is... more... creative... than... Osamu Tezuka... and... Naoki Urasawa...

... Ugh...

Ya know, I'm curious. How many manga series (if any) have you read from Osamu Tezuka and Naoki Urasawa? I don't see how you can even begin to have that opinion of them when comparing them to Togashi. I personally really enjoy there art work, as Tezuka generally has that cartoonish-style about him that just stands out to you, while Urasawa has that realistic-style to him -- i.e. it seems as though you could see these characters in real life. And really, while I'm fond or Rurouni Kenshin, Watsuki just had the series and I want a bit more consistency when it comes to the quality of the manga-ka.

Btw, if you're including influence, then how the hell can you even downgrade Tezuka and Urasawa like you just said?

If he is better than Toriyama, then why have him lower than him? o__0 Again, I ask you, have you read Monster, Pluto, and 20th Century Boys? The man puts effort into his stories and goes so in-depth when it comes to plot it seems like a documentary of real life (figuratively-speaking, of course). Compare someone who has just finished Dragon Ball and then compare it when they finish Monster. Dragon Ball is a long-run, and certainly memorable, but Monster is something that is of epic-proportions. Is that part of my biased showing through? Yes, but that biased is created from seeing and comparing the two.

I mean, for Christ's sake, Monstrer is going to have its own movie put over in the states by New Line Cinema, and it hasn't even been brought over for the anime and the manga series (not until December). That's impressive.

Kentaro Miura is absolutely amazing (the most recent chapter, chapter 264, had some of the most beautiful four pages that I have ever seen, and it foreshadows something really big later on). I have not read any of Junji Ito's work, but I have certainly heard a lot of good things about Uzumaki.

I'll say it again, but in all caps this time... SCRAP THE LIST AND JUST ALPHABETIZE THE NAMES.

Kokukirin
12th November 2005, 7:01 AM
I guess I overrate Yoshihiro Togashi a bit, but that's mostly because of Level E. Sorry but that thing is absolutely the most ingenius piece I've ever read. YYH and HxH have quite a lot of thoughts and ideas in them as well, but are often overshadowed by the fightings. YYH's beginning part has sloppy artwork, but that's only because he was still in his beginning stage. His artwork improves a lot after vol 10 or so, and matures in late YYH/Level E. HxH's beginning has amazing artwork and declines during G.I. due to laziness. If you are calling it sloppy artwork, you may as well put Naruto into trash can (and I don't really care).

Basically, Yoshihiro Togashi is a genius who comes up with interesting thoughts, but he cannot compete with Urasawa or Tezuka in story telling or characters.

And I've read Monster and 20th Century Boys of Urasawa and Astro Boy and Phoenix of Tezuka. I agree these works (especially Monster, 20th and Phoenix) are far greater than any Togashi's work, but I'd maintain my point that Togashi wins in the creativity category.

That Scary Clefairy
12th November 2005, 9:34 PM
Which is why having the list there that more solely on your opinion is bogus. It should alphabetilize and a statement next to explaining why he/she is great. That would work better as people can get a much better understanding and grasp about the manga-ka and his/her series.

Kokukirin
13th November 2005, 1:25 AM
Did you notice I have moved down Yoshihiro Togashi 3 times already from 7 to 14? I am already trying hard to be as unbiased as possible, and taking much of the advices. For now only 50% or so of the list is from my opinion, and its still decreasing as people give more suggestions.

I forgot to mention one reason to include influence as part of consideration. That is, manga is like building blocks. Tezuka laid the foundation, and the following artists like Leiji and Yokuyama built upon them, and so on. Without the previous works, many of the great mangas wouldn't exist at all. For example, Dragonball influenced much on YYH and numerous other shonen manga, and YYH, RK influenced Naruto, Onepiece, and so on. So how is it fair to judge purely on artwork, characters and story when these things are influenced by others?

Genkai5000
13th November 2005, 1:35 AM

Yes, I agree with you also. Just because everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. Some people don't even like some of the manga artists so isn't it kinda unfair to list some that other people like lower? Besides, this doesn't seem that official or anything. This does seem as if it is your opinion (sorry if it seems mean...I'm not saying it in a mean way...), but people do have their own opinions on artists and all that other stuff.

And I agree with That Scary Clefairy...You should do that rather than saying some people are the god of manga or influenced others. A lot of manga is great, but listing them in the way you want is rather...useless? Listing them in Alphabetical order and explaining why they are great as That Scary Clefairy said is a whole lot better...

I'm not directing this to you, Kokukirin. X_x;; But Takeshi Konomi draws almost to the point that Prince of Tennis people are human...That's his point that they can necessarily be real. Also, Kazuki Takahashi is not overrated...>.>;; I don't see why people say that. The only thing the guy made was Yugioh and he became popular after that...It's also unique and actually unlike any other manga to me.

Kokukirin
13th November 2005, 1:51 AM
Uh, everyone knows Tezuka is the god of manga, if you don't agree it's your own problem. And I didn't make up the influences either. I know some people dislike certain artists up there, but since when does a list please everyone?

I am not denying I have some bias in the list, but I am trying to minimize it. In fact, the list is already far from what I really think. Do note that my two favorite artists are ranked 14 and 27, and my 3rd is ranked 7. People are making good suggestions in replies, and I am editting the list to include their suggestions. Eventually I will have less influence over the list. But I still maintain some control over the list to prevent this list to become a "favorite artist list", which would have FMA and Naruto's artists on top and Tezuka no where to be seen. That's all.

If you want an alphabetical ordered manga-ka list, go to en.wikipedia.org and search for mangaka, or you can do a google search. How about more constructive suggestions instead of criticizing this idea of making a list?

That Scary Clefairy
13th November 2005, 2:54 AM
Uh, everyone knows Tezuka is the god of manga, if you don't agree it's your own problem. And I didn't make up the influences either. I know some people dislike certain artists up there, but since when does a list please everyone?

I am not denying I have some bias in the list, but I am trying to minimize it. In fact, the list is already far from what I really think. Do note that my two favorite artists are ranked 14 and 27, and my 3rd is ranked 7. People are making good suggestions in replies, and I am editting the list to include their suggestions. Eventually I will have less influence over the list. But I still maintain some control over the list to prevent this list to become a "favorite artist list", which would have FMA and Naruto's artists on top and Tezuka no where to be seen. That's all.

If you want an alphabetical ordered manga-ka list, go to en.wikipedia.org and search for mangaka, or you can do a google search. How about more constructive suggestions instead of criticizing this idea of making a list?

Ok I'll let it go here as I see more light in what you're doing. As for the alphabetical list, you didn't read what I typed. I suggest that it'll be an alphabetical list WITH REASONS FOR BEING ONE.

oh here two others I forgot: Riyoko Ikeda(Rose of Versailles, Lady Oscar, Spring Snow) and Takao Saito(Golgo 13) These are must be put on list Golgo 13 was made back in the 70's and still continues. Anyone who doesn't know this series or Rose of Versailles, doesn't deserve to be an anime/manga fan.

HK
13th November 2005, 5:35 PM
I guess I overrate Yoshihiro Togashi a bit, but that's mostly because of Level E. Sorry but that thing is absolutely the most ingenius piece I've ever read. YYH and HxH have quite a lot of thoughts and ideas in them as well, but are often overshadowed by the fightings. YYH's beginning part has sloppy artwork, but that's only because he was still in his beginning stage. His artwork improves a lot after vol 10 or so, and matures in late YYH/Level E. HxH's beginning has amazing artwork and declines during G.I. due to laziness. If you are calling it sloppy artwork, you may as well put Naruto into trash can (and I don't really care).

Hunter X Hunter has amazing art work at the beginning... *Looks through first few volumes briefly* ... I'm sorry, but where is said amazing art work? It seems pretty simplistic to me, and even a bit sloppy at some times. And as for Naruto, that one is a bit more consistent in terms of what he draws, and the only problem that I have ever had with his art work is when he goes close-up on characters.

Basically, Yoshihiro Togashi is a genius who comes up with interesting thoughts, but he cannot compete with Urasawa or Tezuka in story telling or characters.

... What exactly do you mean by "interseting thoughts?" Because introducing something like, oh, say, "nen" isn't all that impressive. Creativity-wise, most people like to say that him and a fair bit of other Shonen manga-ka are creative. Problem, though: they are only talking about Shonen manga-ka. When I think of "interesting thoughts" or "creativity," I usually think about the idea that they are doing and how they run with it. Anyone can come up with their own version of some super-human like abilities for Shonen-style manga, but very few can actually make something believable and pure innovative at the same time. Basically: super-human abilities =/= creativity/interesting thoughts. It merely follows a trend that has been set since Dragon Ball.

And I've read Monster and 20th Century Boys of Urasawa and Astro Boy and Phoenix of Tezuka. I agree these works (especially Monster, 20th and Phoenix) are far greater than any Togashi's work, but I'd maintain my point that Togashi wins in the creativity category.

Same response as above. I find it more creative when somebody tells a story that has a sense of realism to it (yes, you can make a story realistic even if the setting is about as far away from realism as you can get) and pulls it off well than seeing mainstream Shonen manga pull out a slight variation of something that has been around for a helluva long time.

Did you notice I have moved down Yoshihiro Togashi 3 times already from 7 to 14? I am already trying hard to be as unbiased as possible, and taking much of the advices. For now only 50% or so of the list is from my opinion, and its still decreasing as people give more suggestions.

A list shouldn't have fifty percent of it be opinionated. I know that that it a bit of an oxymoron, but I should better say that one person shouldn't have that much control over a ranking list.

I forgot to mention one reason to include influence as part of consideration. That is, manga is like building blocks. Tezuka laid the foundation, and the following artists like Leiji and Yokuyama built upon them, and so on. Without the previous works, many of the great mangas wouldn't exist at all. For example, Dragonball influenced much on YYH and numerous other shonen manga, and YYH, RK influenced Naruto, Onepiece, and so on. So how is it fair to judge purely on artwork, characters and story when these things are influenced by others?

Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin had influence on Naruto and One Piece? o___0 Funny, I've only heard Kishimoto and Oda mention the likes of Dragon Ball. Please direct me to where it was mentioned that the two former works influenced the two latter, because I don't remember ever hearing that claim.

Anyway, influence is something to consider, but influence is just what it is: influence. That doesn't determine how good the manga series that the manga-ka create are. You could have two manga-ka go out, create something similar to a past work, and have one turn out to be pure crap while the other not. Influence isn't nearly as big of a factor compared to art, characters, and plot. Hell, look into Osamu Tezuka's work being adapted into new stories. That's something right there.

Yes, I agree with you also. Just because everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. Some people don't even like some of the manga artists so isn't it kinda unfair to list some that other people like lower? Besides, this doesn't seem that official or anything. This does seem as if it is your opinion (sorry if it seems mean...I'm not saying it in a mean way...), but people do have their own opinions on artists and all that other stuff.

And I agree with That Scary Clefairy...You should do that rather than saying some people are the god of manga or influenced others. A lot of manga is great, but listing them in the way you want is rather...useless? Listing them in Alphabetical order and explaining why they are great as That Scary Clefairy said is a whole lot better...

I've been saying that since I first posted in this thread. :/

I'm not directing this to you, Kokukirin. X_x;; But Takeshi Konomi draws almost to the point that Prince of Tennis people are human...That's his point that they can necessarily be real. Also, Kazuki Takahashi is not overrated...>.>;; I don't see why people say that. The only thing the guy made was Yugioh and he became popular after that...It's also unique and actually unlike any other manga to me.

Takeshi Konomi does have really nice art work, but the personalities are rather cliched and don't vary all that much. And yes, Takahashi is definitely overrated. You kind of hurt yourself when you said: "The only thing the guy made was Yu-Gi-Oh and he became popular after that..." Also, Yu-Gi-Oh sold out to become a big advertisement to the fuggin card game, and if it is that unique to you, then you definitely need to read other manga series.

A list can please everyone when it is in alphabetical order. :) Tell me, since when has an alphabetized list ever shown any biased?

The bolded part mainly shows that opinions shouldn't be involved in this case. And while I do understand the importance of not having a lot of people claim types such as Akira Toriyama be the greatest manga-ka, the same can be done if you alphabetize the list and then give your own personal list.

Thank you laziness. And I'm sorry, but have mine and TSC's suggestions not been suggestions at all? Have we been insulting you because we want an unbiased list made into an alphabetized list so more people can formulate a less-unbiased opinion? Oh yes, how dare we even comprehend of the idea that there be an unbiased, alphabetized list and then you can include your own person list! Shame on both of us, shame on both of us.

Kokukirin
14th November 2005, 3:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/Kokukirin/mangaka_relations.jpg

There you go

Kokukirin
14th November 2005, 3:51 AM
After doing research on some mangaka that I haven't read their works for 15 min without much progress, I am giving up ranking them myself.

I will organize the list in alphabetical order and include their works. As for description for each artist, I will need people who have good understanding of them to post in reply.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Including those seem to attack me.

Genkai5000
16th November 2005, 9:51 PM
Takeshi Konomi does have really nice art work, but the personalities are rather cliched and don't vary all that much. And yes, Takahashi is definitely overrated. You kind of hurt yourself when you said: "The only thing the guy made was Yu-Gi-Oh and he became popular after that..." Also, Yu-Gi-Oh sold out to become a big advertisement to the fuggin card game, and if it is that unique to you, then you definitely need to read other manga series.

Read other manga series? I have...A lot of them and I have not seen one manga that has reached a level of Yugioh..I mean, if you're all mad at the cards, then fine. Everyone does have their own opinion...

*cough* Kazuki Takahashi created the Duel Monster rules and how would he copy off anyone? That's entirely unique...Unlike most manga which is just fighting or anything...

Anyways, everyone does have their own opinion and arguing about Takeshi Konomi and Kazuki Takahashi seems utterly pointless...

That Scary Clefairy
16th November 2005, 11:17 PM
Read other manga series? I have...A lot of them and I have not seen one manga that has reached a level of Yugioh.

Obvisously you haven't.

Kokukirin
17th November 2005, 6:32 AM
I have to agree with the person above. Yugioh has interesting game ideas, but that's about it. There are many manga out there better than Yugioh.

And Hellkorn, I really don't understand how can you say "Takeshi Konomi does have really nice art work" (regarding PoT) and "I'm sorry, but where is said amazing art work? It seems pretty simplistic to me, and even a bit sloppy at some times. "(regarding HxH) in the same post...Konomi is not even comparable to Togashi in terms of artwork...

That Scary Clefairy
17th November 2005, 4:06 PM
I don't care for both of their artwork so meh. I have seen HxH and I still done see the hype about the artwork. looks more simpleistic and less stylish than a most manga(s) I've read.

Kokukirin
17th November 2005, 6:50 PM
I never considered simplistic a down point in artwork. Urasawa has simplistic artwork, and CLAMP has fancy artwork in their early days, but I much prefer Urasawa's. Detailed and/or realistic artwork is not always better IMO. I guess we have different views on what is good artwork...

Genkai5000
19th November 2005, 10:52 PM
Okay, all of you are kinda calling me *cough* mean things. You know, it's pointless to argue with me what manga you guys like. It's not the topic of this thread to argue about which manga-ka are greater than others. (I don't think anyone really does care if Kazuki Takahashi is my fave. manga-ka)

Could I suggest another manga-ka? Kentaro Yabuki, the creator of Black Cat. It's not in English yet...And I don't think it will, but he's a really good manga-ka because of his story and characters.

That Scary Clefairy
20th November 2005, 1:13 AM
Okay, all of you are kinda calling me *cough* mean things. You know, it's pointless to argue with me what manga you guys like. It's not the topic of this thread to argue about which manga-ka are greater than others. (I don't think anyone really does care if Kazuki Takahashi is my fave. manga-ka)

Could I suggest another manga-ka? Kentaro Yabuki, the creator of Black Cat. It's not in English yet...And I don't think it will, but he's a really good manga-ka because of his story and characters.

English verison coming soon in March. I like Black cat too. good series.

Kokukirin
20th November 2005, 1:49 AM
Added Kentaro Yabuki, damn he is so underrated that I forgot him. I think he has other manga series too but I forgot the name. There is one short series that takes place in ancient Japan...Anyone knows the name of that?