PDA

View Full Version : Ships That End in a Very Bad Way *May Contain Spoilers*

Mysty
1st November 2005, 1:36 AM
Have any of your ships ever ended in a way where the shipping was completely smashed, or where something horrible happened. Here is you chance to discuss it. Please use spoiler tags.....

I will discuss mine. Probably the ship of mine that ended the worst is Sweeney Todd x Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. In the classic show, upon discovering that Mrs. Lovett lied to him about Lucy being dead, he dances with her and throws her in the bake oven. Now, while in the new revival we get an incredible amount of extreme shippy moments, (they can't keep their hands off of eachother apparently during the "A Little Priest number) it ends in an even worse manner. What could be worse than being thrown in a bake oven and burned alive you ask? Well good old Sweeney gives her a close shave....he slits her throat. He slits her throat three times. Yeah. (In case you are like WTF is "Sweeney Todd?", the movie Jersey Girl spoofs it. )

Another ship that has not necessarily ended in the past, but doesn't really have a future is Dumbledore x McGonagall. As we know Dumbledore is dead.

Swifty
1st November 2005, 1:46 AM
Here's one ship that ended badly... And then all of a sudden got resurrected like Jesus Christ coming out of the tomb.

Setting: Stargate SG-1. Major Samantha Carter meets a FBI Agent, Pete Shanahan. Major Carter falls madly in love with him. Makes wedding plans and real estate purchasing plans. Alternately, Jack O'Neill meets up with with CIA woman Kerry Johnson and dates her. Sam and Jack shippers are FURIOUS. Alternately, people start losing hope.

Then comes the last episodes of that season. All of a sudden, Sam's father dies, tells her she needs to not let things get in the way of her happiness; Samantha Carter realizes she still has feelings for Jack... Calls off the wedding and breaks up with Pete Alternately, Jack becomes distraught with Sam's dad's death. Comes to her side. Kerry breaks up with Jack saying his relationship with Major Carter needs to be resolved and it isn't healthy for rules and regulations to get in the way of their relationship (IE, one of them needs to retire from the Air Force)

johnnyd2
1st November 2005, 11:17 AM
any ship on family guy other than Peter x Lois, Poor Brian, he gets screwed everytime he tries to get a girl.

Jo-Jo
1st November 2005, 11:32 AM
Hmmm, I can think of a couple...

Angel:
The Cordelia/Doyle ship is Item 1 in the evidence list of why Joss Whedon is an Evil, Evil man who likes to make us cry. Doyle's feelings for Cordelia were slowly developed over the course of the season, and in the last episode she finally showed that she returned them - and then, minutes after they agreed to go out once the big bad of the day was dead, he died saving the world. Feck. *shakes fist at Joss*

Harry Potter:
I was already predicting Harry/Ginny by the time book 5 came out, so what with Cedric's death I was happy(/surprised) enough that Harry and Cho got to date at all. All the same, this would definitely constitute a pet ship that got a wrecking ball taken to it.

Torkoal Stu
1st November 2005, 12:09 PM
Hmmm, I can think of a couple...

Angel:
The Cordelia/Doyle ship is Item 1 in the evidence list of why Joss Whedon is an Evil, Evil man who likes to make us cry. Doyle's feelings for Cordelia were slowly developed over the course of the season, and in the last episode she finally showed that she returned them - and then, minutes after they agreed to go out once the big bad of the day was dead, he died saving the world. Feck. *shakes fist at Joss*
Well Dolye dying after 14 episodes was bad by itself. Even though Doyle died the ship continued through out Seasons 1/2/3 and one episode in Season 5. In season 2 he was constantly mentioned as the person who gave Cordy the visons, and being mentioned in sentances like "Argh, Doyle gave me these visions" and whatever. In season 3 the whole Cordelia vision saga was part of the ship, shown mostly in the episode "Birthday" when there were scenes of Doyle ect. And the one episode in Season 5 was "You're Welcome" when Cordy woke up, and she showed Angel Doyle's comercial/advert, when Lindsey uses the name Doyle and Cordy's reaction to that and a couple of Doyle comments. So even though he died, the ship continued, however I agree with you about Joss being evil, I was just saying it wasn't over after Doyle died.

I can think of some Angel and Buffy ones.

Angel:
The Angel/Cordy Ship well this ended badly since when they went to meet Angel's son caught him and sunk him to the bottom of the ocean. And Cordy got taken to a higher dimension. Then when Cordy came back in the next season Cordy lost her memory, however when she got it back she went evil because she was being controlled. So then when Angel and Cordy finally confessed their love, she got put into a coma until the next season, which was Season 5. When she woke up in Season 5, she was trying to get Angel back into fighting the good fight, however they kiss right at the end of the episode, but Angel gets a phone call and its about Cordy died in hospital. And she never woke up, so it turns out that isn't wasn't really Cordy waking up, something took her form to make Angel fight the good fight again and stay on track. So when she died, she was hardly mentioned for the rest of the series which is about 9 episodes I guess, so talk about a never meant to be ship.

Swifty
3rd November 2005, 2:50 AM
Alias:

VAUGHN IS PUMPED FULL OF LEAD WHILE SYDNEY WATCHES IN HORROR.

:(

Wolf Goddess
3rd November 2005, 2:53 AM
Smallville:

Pete/Chloe. Because we all know how often we see Pete nowadays. :rolleyes:

PokeProphet
3rd November 2005, 9:02 PM
Well, it didn't end in a very bad way, but I still need to get this off my chest.

Spirited Away:
Chihiro/Kohaku was one of the best canon ships I've ever seen. Really, the scene where those two are falling out of the sky and grab each others hands, is one of the most romantic moments I've ever seen, if not THE most romantic. And then in the end, Chihiro has to leave, and Kohaku promises that one day, they will meet again.
End of film.
RAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Open endings suck! Who cares about artistic value, I wanted to see them meet up again!
Yeah yeah, I know. Spoiled brat. I realise that it's very obvious that they are going to meet again, and I should be very happy with this pure canon ship. But still.

The Matrix:
Part 1. Neo dies. Trinity brings him back to life. Part 2. Trinity dies. Neo brings her back to life. Yay! Happy ending.
Part 3. Trinity dies, permanent this time, and neo get's carried away by one of the robots. Probably dead, but we don't know that for sure. Open endings suck, part 3.
Cruel, cruel people. Couldn't they at least kept Trinity alive? Blah.

And of course, the mother of all bad-ending shippings:
Romeo and Julliet (shame on you for not mentioning it :p)
WHAT?!? You need to highlight a spoiler for ROMEO AND JULLIET?!? You spend way to much time on this forum. Go read a book, barbarian!

Devilrose
4th November 2005, 9:05 PM
Animorphs

Tobias x Rachel

In the final book, Jake (the leader) sends Rachel off alone to confront her cousin. Rachel ends up killing her cousin, impaling him on her claws while in a bear morph, but is pretty much torn to shreds by a bunch of other bad guys in animal morphs, thus she dies. Not only did that kill this shipping, but Rachel was my favorite character :( No battle was complete without a cry of "Lets do it!" from Rachel :( Rachel and Tobias were dating befoe that I believe, and Tobias ends up hating Jake big time.

On another note, that series ends with the most open-ended ending ever:
Jake: "Divert all power to the engines. Ram the Blade Ship!"
Very last line of the last book of the series *mutter*

Kveran
5th November 2005, 2:19 AM
Argh! Completely agreed with the open endings in both Spirited Away and Animorphs. Spirited Away wasn't so open to me because it was, as mentioned, SO FREAKING OBVIOUS that Chihiro and 'Haku were going to end up meeting again at some point or another, and Animorphs- well, I could deal with that because it was a great way to end the series (and certainly worked better than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's scheme to end Sherlock Holmes.) But I will admit that I shed a tear or so when Rachel died... I identified very closely with Rachel. She was the first character that I could really empathize with, and I'm pretty die-hard about Tobias x Rachel. (-waves a flag-) So that hit me pretty hard... I'd heard through the grapevine that Rachel ended up dead, and it took me awhile to work up the guts to read that book.

Blackjack Gabbiani
5th November 2005, 4:52 AM
Arukenimon and Mummymon from Digimon Adventure 02. She gets absorbed by MaloMyotismon, and Mummymon goes down attempting to defend her honor.

And Terra and Leo from FFVI. It was really obvious that he was going to die, when you get right down to it. I mean, taking on the Empire's best by yourself?

Jo-Jo
5th November 2005, 5:07 AM
Oh, how could I have forgotten this one?

Nine/Rose (Dr. Who):
He had to regenerate minutes after kissing her and saving her life/the world. Technically he's still alive, but only after turning into David Tennant. So even if the Powers That Be plan to keep the romance going, it will still theoretically be a new ship. Eh, at least Christopher Eccleston got a decent last line...

Locke Yggdrasill
5th November 2005, 5:07 AM
Lloyd Irving and Sheena Ffjasl;fjksjflsjf from Tales of Symphonia. now, this is the one that killed all of my interest in shipping. Lloyd and Sheena are having this giant moment, where it looked like she was just about to glomp Lloyd, and then Lloyd says," Yeah, I think we can become great friends. We have so much in common." And Sheena says,"Great...Friends...(as if depressed, because she was in love with Lloyd, or so said her actions)" and then Lloyd says,"What? you don't want to?". -_-;;

PokeProphet
23rd November 2005, 1:44 PM
Unfortunately, I have another one to add to this sad, sad list:
Tima/Kenichi from the anime movie 'Metropolis'. True, she was a robot and he an ordinary human, so their relation would be complicated to say the least. But they were definately in love with each other, and it broke my heart when Tima fell of the Ziggurat at the end of the movie (although at the very end, there's a tiny hint that a part of Tima has survived, since her voice and the first words she ever spoke "Who am I?" sound on a radio burried deep under the Metropolis. But since there's no sequal, that won't do us any good).

Seijiro Mafuné
23rd November 2005, 2:55 PM
And Terra and Leo from FFVI. It was really obvious that he was going to die, when you get right down to it. I mean, taking on the Empire's best by yourself?

Wasn't him the best? Kefka was just the first Magitek Warrior.

intergalactic platypus
23rd November 2005, 3:01 PM
ok, this ones gonna make me seem really wierd, but in the lord of the rings, frodo and sam crashed. frodo ran off to some remote place with the other ringbearers WITHOUT SAM DAMIT. and sam got married to a bloody GIRL. ok, so its wierd that i love this couple, but how can you not?

Faerie
24th November 2005, 8:44 PM
Well, It's not an actual in-game ship, but it's hinted at in the game...Larxene x Axel from Kingdom Hearts. It seems to be qutie popular, due to the large amount of fanart/fanfiction centering around it.

I always thought that Axel and Larxene would be such a cute couple, but the game didn't give much time for the romance to blossom, because Larxene dies in battle with Sora. In fact, most of the Organization is killed, but Axel is one of the few that survives. *shakes head* Well, I think that one of the reasons Axel tried to kill Marluxia was to channel his anger over Larxene's death. And why he was so eager to fight Sora after his attempt to kill Marluxia. >3

But during the game before that fateful event, Larxene and Axel were together in a LOT of cutscenes. In fact, they were the only ones in the room besides Namine in those scenes. Not to mention that Larxene's journal entry states that she is "on good terms with Axel". x3

However! When Larxene 'dies', it can be interpreted in many different ways. Her speech indicates that she is very near the gates of the Dark Forest *shot for Redwall joke*, but she simply dissappeares, while Vexen collapses and then dissappears when he dies. So it could be thought that when one 'dies' in Castle Oblivion, they're taken back to where they came from. Or that's what happens when you're defated. OR she could have just died. >__<

Hakajin
25th November 2005, 3:48 AM
Oh, Spirited Away, that made me cry at the end! You are supposed to assume that they'll meet up again, but it's hard to imagine them ending up together . . .

The first major ship I liked that went terribly, terribly wrong, was the white and Pink rangers from Power Rangers. That was so wrong, and so upsetting!

Then there's Aya and Yuhi from Ceres: Celestial Warriors I mean, it was always pretty clear that Aya was gonna choose Touya, but still. But then, Touya dies :)! But I still don't think it works out.

Also with Yuu Watase, there's Takiko and Chamka from Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden. Hasn't gotten very far yet, but I'm 100% sure Takiko has already chosen Limdo.

And finally, just because no one mentioned it yet (I can't believe it), Cloud and Aeris from Final Fantasy VII. I really liked Cloud and Tifa, but whatever.

Lil Brother
25th November 2005, 5:21 AM
X-Men. Jean Grey and Cyclops. I don't know why I'm using a spoiler. It's refrenced just about every month. o.o But whatever. Ever since Scott reutrned from the dead (speaking of which, WHY THE HELL IS APOCALYPSE STILL ALIVE?!), he and Jean have had a rocky relationship. Especially when ****ty Emma Frost came in. Jean got a little... in-touch... with Logan and accused Scott of sleeping with Emma a bit later. Things were really crap for them for a while, until she was killed by whoever that was that was pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn (or was that really Magneto? Dammit, I blame Wanda for all this.) Anyways, Scott had said he had chosen between Jean and Emma a few minutes before Jean's death... but he never said which one. It seems he just picked whichever one survived, because he's currently sharing a bed with Emma. And who knows where Scott/Emma will go, especially since Emma has appearantly been in touch with our favorite Black King. No, not Roberto, Sebastian Shaw. Gawd, we really need to clear the "Emma is a traitor!" storyline quickly, especially since she has more then definetly proven herself loyal to the X-Men. Oh, heh, kinda off-topic, aren't I?

dragonmaster5000
25th November 2005, 5:52 AM
Animorphs

Tobias x Rachel

In the final book, Jake (the leader) sends Rachel off alone to confront her cousin. Rachel ends up killing her cousin, impaling him on her claws while in a bear morph, but is pretty much torn to shreds by a bunch of other bad guys in animal morphs, thus she dies. Not only did that kill this shipping, but Rachel was my favorite character :( No battle was complete without a cry of "Lets do it!" from Rachel :( Rachel and Tobias were dating befoe that I believe, and Tobias ends up hating Jake big time.

On another note, that series ends with the most open-ended ending ever:
Jake: "Divert all power to the engines. Ram the Blade Ship!"
Very last line of the last book of the series *mutter*

Oh wow, you're absolutely right. I thought of this couple awhile ago while looking through some old books, but I didn't think anyone else read the books. It was very sad indeed. :( But I don't recall Tobias ending up hating Jake.

Also, another couple with a bad end (until at least the author writes another book)....

Roran x Katrina from the Inheritance series (Eragon and Eldest)

Katrina was captured in Eldest and the book ends with Eragon and Roran telling each other that they will try to rescue her. I doubt the author will have Katrina die, but books hold many surprises. *cough*MurtaughisEragon'sbrother*cough*.

And of course, (all Digimon fans will know this)...the once famous Tai x Sora

*cough*Matt*cough* This absolutely devastated all loyal Taiora shippers like me. Everyone was sure that with all the hints, Tai and Sora would end up together. In fact, there probably wasn't a Matt x Sora hint (someone prove me wrong) in the entire series before the infamous Christmas Episode.

Kveran
26th November 2005, 1:30 AM
Unfortunately, Dragonmaster5000, get somebody rabid enough and they WILL come up with something obscure to "prove you wrong"... I agree, Sorato had pretty much no baseline whatsoever, but I never really shipped Taiora either. Actually the only human x human ship that I actively supported was Kensuke which (as far as I'm concerned) lives, dammit. By which I mean that it wasn't actively ruled out.

Seijiro Mafuné
3rd December 2005, 7:04 PM
ok, this ones gonna make me seem really wierd, but in the lord of the rings, frodo and sam crashed. frodo ran off to some remote place with the other ringbearers WITHOUT SAM DAMIT. and sam got married to a bloody GIRL. ok, so its wierd that i love this couple, but how can you not?

While I understand you enjoy it, I don't get why exactly is that pairing supposed to be actual, given how it doesn't have a hint other than moments of friendship. Then again, you're the type of person who probably reminds me of an OFU.

Also, Sam goes to the lands of the West after the book.

Kasumi-chan
13th December 2005, 4:20 PM
In my opinion, my saddest endings of a shipping waswhen Sora from digimon started dating Matt instead of Tai, with whom she clearly belonged with. Then Tai and Sora kissed twice in the manga, but those idiots who made the anime made Matt and Sora end up married. Now I hate Matt
Another time wasIn Nightmare city: Catastrophe (probably nobody has seen this short yet) when the girl throws herself on the boy to prevent him from getting killed by the bad dude. She dies. SAD. Copy and paste this into the address bar to see the short: http://homepage.mac.com/pockyrevolution/nightmare2.html