PDA

View Full Version : Mmm... Cyndaquil steak

Meep
7th November 2005, 3:16 AM
Hehe... I like the title.

Anyways, what do you think that people (meaning humans) eat in the Pokemon world? I mean, if you write a fanfic about a person who loves their team of Pokemon, would the character go to a shop and eat a hamburger made of *gasp* Miltanks?! It would just seem... wierd. Maybe unatural. But then what do your characters eat?

I think, in the Pokemon world, they have this substance that tastes like meat, has the nutritional value of meat, but is made of some kind of veggie.

Dilasc
7th November 2005, 3:18 AM
In Dust to Deceit, a character fishes a Goldeen right out of the river and sticks a fork right in it a few seconds before it dies. Its a man eat man world, and Pokemon are man enough to be a part of it. Seriously, Pokemon are edible in my honest opinion, and Squirtle Turtle Soup is delicious.

Klaus
7th November 2005, 3:23 AM
Well, I agree with Dilasc. Of course they're just like animals in our world except they can shock,burn or drown you. Yeah, they eat miltank, farfetched, pidgey, goldeen and psyduck.

Yeah, pokemon are edible. In my story, Taylor is a semi-hippy speaks out against it.

As always, be kind to the mime.

Iveechan
7th November 2005, 3:30 AM
I prefer humans being vegetarian, subbing tofu and meaty mushrooms and stuff for meat. In the old days, though, humans probably ate Pokemon meat. Pokemon are way to intelligent and sentient to be thought of as "just like animals", it would be like eating your own kid or another human.

Meep
7th November 2005, 3:32 AM
It just seems pretty wierd to eat a Pokemon... I mean, you wouldn't go out and eat a dog or a cat, would you? Most likely not, and that's because you've known one as a friend (or maybe an enemy). So if you trained a Miltank for a very long time, would you still eat hamburgers (if they were made out of Miltanks)? It would just feel wrong.

Bu†cH
7th November 2005, 3:41 AM
You are what you eat.

What if you eat a Pokemon with Electric moves?

Shocking, ain't it? *Drums*

Zerodius
7th November 2005, 3:45 AM
In my stories, humans eat Pokemon becease, well, Pokemon are animals!... exept they got powers and becease some of them are sentient (most merely obey their instincts however).

In fact, in one of my stories involving Mewtwo (which I feature way too much in my stories but well...), he thinks about how it's so weird and yet normal for him to eat a good, meaty, juicy Miltank steak when he happens to be a Pokemon himself.

As for you speaking about eating cats and dogs... well, it can be done. Also, pigs and cows are animals too, you know. It's just that unlike cats and dogs, they aren't seen as pets and as such, people don't feel guilty eating them...

... in fact, the same could be said for Pokemon. People would feel guilty eating, say, a Growlithe (the Pokemon equivalent of a dog)... but eating a Miltank (the Pokemon equivalent of a cow) would seem perfectly normal.

I feel like writting a big dissertation about how stating that eating meat is cruel is hypocritical since plants are alive too but well... this would be asking for flame and the fact that I mentionned this opinion of mine could already cause some people to be offended so I'll stop there.

Have a nice day.

Klaus
7th November 2005, 3:48 AM
Well yeah, eating a charmander would really give you heartburn *HEHEHE* Probably in the old days. I think eating pokemon is really rupulsive though. I agree with the tofo idea. But, what about Farfetched being a delecacy?
Still creepy.

As always, be kind to the mime.

Meep
7th November 2005, 3:57 AM
As for you speaking about eating cats and dogs... well, it can be done. Also, pigs and cows are animals too, you know. It's just that unlike cats and dogs, they aren't seen as pets and as such, people don't feel guilty eating them...
I know that many people eat animals that we see as pets. Dogs, rabbits, all good food. It's just that the people who eat them usually don't have a pet of that sort of their own, so they don't see it as any bad. I bet that if I ever had a pet pig/sheep/cow/ect I wouldn't eat that kind of meat ever again, but because I haven't, I'm still a steak-lover.

I feel like writting a big dissertation about how stating that eating meat is cruel is hypocritical since plants are alive too but well...
I have actually done that... I knew this person who was a vegetarian, and I told her that billions of helpless plants are thrown into inhumane conditions and then mercilessly slaughtered. I think it freaked her out.

Iveechan
7th November 2005, 7:19 AM
I don't see why Miltank is always classed as a Pokemon someone should eat. I mean, it is very capable of performing in battles, right? And Pokemon are VERY sentient, moreso than animals. They can understand human speech and emotions nearly perfectly. Just because Miltank is a cow doesn't mean she should be treated as a regular food cow... she's a battling Pokemon like all the others.

Tale
7th November 2005, 9:14 AM
Well I'd feel it was obvious that Pokemon are eaten. It gives a huge sense of reality.

I remember a thread similar to this where people said animals were actually in the Pokemon world, so they could be used as they are today.
You could make Pokemon meals a delecacy, such as crispy Psyduck and stuff.

Thing is, it may be wierd, but when you decide to write a story that doesn't follow the anime/games, you have to invent these kind of things and decide for yourself whether it happens or not.

If you dont decide to allow the Pokemon to be eaten, then I suggest you give a very good excuse for it other than most people think it is wierd. Because, honestly, if Pokemon were real, I'm pretty sure people would take the opppertunity to eat them - why wouldn't they?

So yeah, forget about the wierdness and just do it I say. Either that or come up with a good excuse or dont involve details of meals into the fic at all =/
Hope I helped, its early and I'm still only half awake e_e.

Chibi Pika
7th November 2005, 10:44 AM
Pokemon aren't animals. >>

*Cough.* Anyway, I got into a mini debate about that before and I'd rather not now so--animals do exist in my fic...that's right, in addition to Pokemon. It just wouldn't work otherwise, IMO. Humans eat animals, Pokemon, however, will hunt Pokemon of another species, (though they take animals when they can get 'em.) Some of them are against it, some are not, but as far as humans go, killing a Pokemon in my fic is illegal. Seriously, would you want to eat something that could think and talk and...if you taught it to, even...even read as good as you??? OO; That could walk up to you and, provided you knew the language, hold an intelligent conversation???

I dunno, that just creeps me out. >> But then, a lot of fics don't portray Pokemon as sentient, so with that it's fine.

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

The Big Al
7th November 2005, 11:49 AM
I had people eating Combusken in my fanfic. Seriously, people eat meat as do some Pokemon. Do you think Sharpedo eats kelp?

Fatal
7th November 2005, 11:59 AM
Here's the Pokemon under-sea food chain:

Barboach > Remoraid > Feebas > Magikarp > Chincou > Goldeen > Gorebyss > Lanturn > Huntail > Seaking > Milotic > Octillery > Sharpedo > Gyarados > Wailord > Kyogre

Dragonfree
7th November 2005, 3:00 PM
I'll be the first to say that breeding Pok&#233;mon for human consumption would simply be logically impossible.

Imagine a farm of Miltank, since Miltank seems to be such a popular example in this thread. As Pok&#233;mon are clearly sentient, the Miltank would

a) realize what is going on when they are taken to be slaughtered
b) realize what is going on when the other Miltank are taken to be slaughtered
c) not want to be slaughtered
d) be able to perform scary techniques like Body Slam (ouch)
e) be able to work together to overcome the farmer and save themselves

See what I'm getting at here?

In my fic, humans in ancient times used to only eat plants and then maybe some of the smaller, weaker Pok&#233;mon that were easier to hunt (and then they had to hunt them one by one as hunters/gatherers; there's no way to lock Pok&#233;mon inside and breed them). Later, a portal between the Pok&#233;mon world and the animal world opened, and the humans of the Pok&#233;mon world imported animals to breed and eat. They still ate the occasional Farfetch'd or Magikarp, but that tradition died down as more research on Pok&#233;mon speech started. At the time the fic itself happens, nobody of the main character's generation could imagine eating a Pok&#233;mon, since they've all been taught Pok&#233;mon speech at school and think of Pok&#233;mon very similar to how they think of humans.

BirthdayPirate
7th November 2005, 3:08 PM
In my fic, Pokemon have animalistic intelligence, so it's not really a problem for me. Of course, eating a Cyndaquil or other such popular Pokemon is the equivalent of eating a cat or a dog, so most people eat Pokemon that aren't usually trained. Of course, this sometimes poses a problem to trainers with those Pokemon, but they get over it.

PDL
7th November 2005, 4:00 PM
you know, now that I think of it, some Pokemon CAN be eaten, but usually it's something that's either taboo, like how some real animals in different cultures are not eaten such as pigs or horses or as a delicacy.

other then that, foodstuffs is probably the only time that real animals such as fish and small bugs and possibly beef will appear in the fic.

Dilasc
7th November 2005, 4:02 PM
Everyone talks about animal, but mentionms Pokemon eating as Taboo. Where the heck are these 'animals?' I don't think such a strange thing as 'animals' exist in the Pokemon universe... at least I think.

The Big Al
7th November 2005, 4:06 PM
Considering the Barboach closely ressembles the sea lamprey, he'd probably be at the top as a parasite instead of the bottom.

Dragonfree, while fairy, humanshaped, and a couple of other individual species are sentient, I doubt your basic miltank would understand the process of beef ranching if you drew it out on a chalk board.

And as I said, Pokemon eat Pokemon. It's called the food chain. Heck, we let ourselves get eaten alive by parasites and we're sentient

PDL
7th November 2005, 4:11 PM
hey, we need pokemon that are perfect for being at the very bottom of the food chain. like pokemon plankton or something...

what about Bug pokemon, where do they fit exactly, a few like Caterpie seem to be made for the role of being eaten by bigger pokemon...

Ash_Junior
7th November 2005, 4:12 PM
Dragonfree, while fairy, humanshaped, and a couple of other individual species are sentient, I doubt your basic miltank would understand the process of beef ranching if you drew it out on a chalk board.

just out of curiousity...where's your evidence for Miltank being stupid?

just because our cows are stupid doesn't mean Miltank necessarily are...and even our cows being stupid is debatable.

*shrugs*

I'm gonna have to agree with Dragonfree on this one.

EDIT:

so....soem Pokes are sentient, and others aren't?

what's your basis for that?

Iveechan
7th November 2005, 4:27 PM
The way I see it with the Pokemon eating other Pokemon thing... in the wild, Pokemon are still intelligent, yet they behave more like "regular" animals because they are trying to survive. It's like how, generally, you are taught not to kill other people, yet people are fine with going to war and killing people there.

Humans, with our conveniences... we're not trying to survive in the wilderness like wild Pokemon are, and really, there would be no reason to have to eat a Pokemon. Ok, ok, look at Meowth from the anime. He's just a regular Pokemon, but he learned to speak. Not only can he speak, he can converse with humans fluently... so well, he is commonly treated like a human character instead of a Pokemon. Now, any Pokemon has the potential to learn to converse with humans perfectly. Would you be comfortable with eating something so human-like? I dunno, with how advanced the Pokemon world is, it seems really backwards for humans to have to eat Pokemon.

Haunter
7th November 2005, 4:38 PM
Well, in my 'fic, humans do eat pokemon. Not all pokemon, though. Miltank are eaten. Of course, the diet is more vegetarian than anything but meat is still eaten.

"Popular" pokemon aren't eaten. I generally try to substitute in a pokemon where an animal would be, but like I said, the people are more vegetarian than anything. They eat meat, but not much.

The Big Al
7th November 2005, 4:40 PM
Not all Pokemon are as intellegent as Meowth. Do you think a Caterpie could learn to speak a human language?

As for some Pokemon being smarter than others. It's the same in the real world. There are highly intellegent animals and unintellegent animals. Why do you think it would be any different with Pokemon?

RaZoR LeAf
7th November 2005, 5:12 PM
Everyone talks about animal, but mentionms Pokemon eating as Taboo. Where the heck are these 'animals?' I don't think such a strange thing as 'animals' exist in the Pokemon universe... at least I think.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1372/untitled10kx.jpg

Said episode (The Water Flowers of Cerulean City) has usually been the grounds for saying that animals exist alongside humans. If you try to delve deeper into the idea, consider that there is no religion seen in Pokemon, and since pokemon 'evolve' almost ever day, the theory of evolution would also be widely beleived. That would mean humans and pokemon evolved from the same species, and begs the question why do pokemon have amazing skills but not humans?

While eating pokemon isn't out of the question, the presence of animals shouldn't be dismissed because they're appearences are pushed away and pokemon made the forerunners. Of course pokemon is based on Japanese culture, and vegetarianism is commonplace in Japan, but then you have to ask, do people eat Venusaur leaves, or stew made of Oddish?

On the other hand, it IS fanfiction after all, and ultimatly it's your interpretation of events.

Jetx
7th November 2005, 5:31 PM
Obviously pokemon eat other pokemon whether they like it or not, tailow and swellow eat wurmple whether the wurmple like it or not and in my fic the pelipper eats remoraid, magikarp and barboach

Dilasc
7th November 2005, 5:46 PM
I'm sure people have used the powders of grass types before. An exotic blend with Stun Spore spices. It's so good, you're taste buds will be PARALYZED!

The Big Al
7th November 2005, 5:52 PM
I always thought the powders and spores would be used in narcodics.

Meep
7th November 2005, 6:04 PM
To all those people who are saying that Pokemon are not smart: Pokemon ARE very intellegent. They have the brain power to remember a huge amount of attacks (on the games they can only know four moves at a time, but in the anime they seem to remember them all) and understand (note how I didn't say speak, I said understand) the human language. Dolphins are known for being intellegent, and they can only learn how hand movements or sounds means that they should, for example, jump through a hoop or spit water at someone. If dolphins are known for being smart, then why not a Weedle, that can understand the human language, be known as any less intellegent?

Dragonfree
7th November 2005, 6:31 PM
*points up* Exactly. Sure, you can believe that some Pok&#233;mon are more intelligent than others, but it doesn't take an awful lot of brains to figure out what's going on when one of your friends is taken away and you never see them again, and I think we all have considerable evidence that Pok&#233;mon do have that intelligence and more.

Caithyra
7th November 2005, 6:47 PM
In my fic, certain pokémon will be eaten such a Goldeen and Magikarp because they don't seem to be that intelligent. (If you think about it, much of the pokémon world is near the sea so in the past maybe that was their subsitute for meat?)

Anyway:

Dragonite Pokédex entries:
Red/Blue: An extremely rarely seen Pokémon. Its intelligence is said to match that of humans.
Leaf Green: Same as above.
Stadium 1: Has intelligence on par with people. This "sea guardian" is said to be capable of flying around the globe in about 16 hours.

If Dragonite's intelligence is such a rare phenomenon to mention, I am of the opinion that not all pokémon is classified as intelligent beings. (They say that intelligence is measured in the animal's capability to understand death... If you shoot a Rapidash in the middle of a herd and the other Rapidashes continue to graze around it like nothing happened, maybe they shouldn't be classified as sentient. On the other hand that's like suicide for the hunter if they ARE sentient.)

Devilrose
7th November 2005, 7:26 PM
I have to agree with CrystalCat. Certain pokemon would be considered edible, while others wouldn't. Chances are Miltank are farmed in the same way as cows, and if they're bred specifically for that purpose they probably wouldn't be strong enough to try to escape, assuming they even know they're being slaughtered. Fish like Goldeen and Magikarp would be more pokemon that would be considered edible. Even in the anime they were thinking of different meals to make with a Magikarp. Its unlikely, though, that anyone's going to be eating a Gyarados anytime soon...

Also, many animals people keep as pets are considered food. Including, in some countries, dogs. And personally, if I had a pig for a pet (they look soooo cute as little piglets ^-^) I'd have no trouble eatting a plate of bacon for breakfast.

~*Ratiosu*~
7th November 2005, 7:46 PM
But, what about Farfetched being a delecacy?

Well, seeing as people say there's only one Farfetch'd that would be kind of weird, LOL. But I don't believe that, so I would say that there are animals in the Pokemon world. I mean how many times have you seen birds and such flying that are *gasp* NOT PIDGEY, SPEAROW, OR ANY OF THIER EVOLUTIONS? But I would say Pokemon are perfectly edible, also due to the fact that Ekans eat Pidgey eggs like snakes eat bird eggs, so I would say that people can eat Pokemon. But if you paid attention you would see they do hve cows and etc. I mean, Misty calls Bug Pokemon bugs, however if there were no bugs why would she know what they were called? O-O HMM? She would say "Oh there's a Bug Pokemon!" not just "a bug".

Flying Tropius
7th November 2005, 9:32 PM
I would say tropius farming is good food source yumm bananas

Kyle of Pallet
7th November 2005, 9:45 PM
In Colliding Worlds, they eat Steamed Shellder, Miltank Beef, rarely Far'fetched, and a few other Poke'Mon.

What I believe, is that they eat less, meaning more Poke'Mon. I think that every few days or so, they would eat a Poke'Mon for a protein sustenence.
But I think the humans in the Poke'Mon World, as you will see in my fic, are hore durable than us, and thus, they can eat less often.

Iveechan
7th November 2005, 9:57 PM
Oh man, how can I keep stressing this? Pokemon are NOT pets, they are NOT real-world animals, they are treated as companions and team mates. Caterpie may not be an Einstein, but Butterfree is pretty damn smart, and, since all Pokemon have happiness levels, Caterpie is very capable of having emotions and sentience. Hey, maybe one can learn to speak like Meowth, it's just that most Pokemon don't bother trying to speak like humans.

The Pokedex entries about Dragonite having the ability to understand human language I think is BS. If Pokemon can't understand humans, how the heck do they perform attacks? Not just attacks but, in an anime setting, commands such as "dodge!" and complex directions. Perhaps creatures like Dragonite (who is mystical) just have an easier time understanding humans.

Nylf
7th November 2005, 10:05 PM
I'll stand by my logic. In my world, there are both Pokemon and animals. We eat the animals, play/battle the Pokemon. Simple, easy and not morally wrong for me.(Vegetarian and Vegans would probably disagree, but I ain't a veggie. My concieous(sp?) is clear). And Pokemon eat whatever they form represents, and Pokemon would, to them, be normal food. Rayquaza eats mini beasts like bacteria, Ho-oh eat's herbs and Suicune loves a bit of Pidgeot. That's what I think, but you're opinions/ideas are interesting as well.

Another Fan
8th November 2005, 10:40 PM
I see no reason why should pokemon be considered a companion and not a pet. Like animals they can be taught to respond in a certain way to certain commands. I don't see a single reason for miltank to be intelligent than to understand more than "Mm. Grass. Mm. Jump on bug to get more grass." They can be eaten and no one cares. Same with probable many pokemon. Like farfetch'd, grumpig and torchic. People won't go and chew on kadabra or dragonair but I see no reason why not just shoot a miltank. So, I have no reason to believe that they are intelligent.

I do not watch or believe the anime.

Meep
8th November 2005, 11:38 PM
Same with probable many pokemon. Like farfetch'd, grumpig and torchic. People won't go and chew on kadabra or dragonair but I see no reason why not just shoot a miltank.
Why do you think it is okay to eat a Grumpig but not a Dragonair? That's like saying its bad to eat beef but okay to eat fish. Is it because you consiter (sp) a Grumpig to be less intellegent than a Dragonair or Kadabra? If there was a baby human that was born mentally retarded, would you think it to be okay to eat the baby? No, because (ignoring the fact that humans tend to not eat their own species) that baby is still intellegent enough to have feelings, learn things (like word commands and not to touch fire), and do many other things that Pokemon do too. If you don't eat the baby, then why would you eat a Torchic, which has more intellegence?

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 12:41 AM
I see no reason why should pokemon be considered a companion and not a pet. Like animals they can be taught to respond in a certain way to certain commands. I don't see a single reason for miltank to be intelligent than to understand more than "Mm. Grass. Mm. Jump on bug to get more grass." They can be eaten and no one cares. Same with probable many pokemon. Like farfetch'd, grumpig and torchic. People won't go and chew on kadabra or dragonair but I see no reason why not just shoot a miltank. So, I have no reason to believe that they are intelligent.

I do not watch or believe the anime.
If you "do not watch or believe the anim&#233;", then please don't claim you see no reason why Pok&#233;mon should be considered companions and not pets. There is a reason why they should be considered companions and not pets, which is made clear in anim&#233; canon; you can choose not to consider them companions anyway, but then just accept that what you're doing is blatantly ignoring a part of canon which is in fact less justifiable than taking it all into account.

EDIT: By the way, your logic doesn't really work either; the Miltank doesn't get more grass for jumping on the bug. Pok&#233;mon are canonically never rewarded specifically for battling - in fact, all battling does for them physically is to get them hurt, exhausted and weak. Besides that a newly caught Pok&#233;mon knows what "Tackle" or "Ember" or whatever is before being actually taught any tricks. Now, I'm not saying that you can't write a fic where Pok&#233;mon are rewarded after every battle and the trainers have to teach their Pok&#233;mon how to attack, but then you're definitely dramatically altering canon.

Basically, I think it's safe to say that canonically, Pok&#233;mon are generally not eaten in the Pok&#233;mon world.

Lord Nidokingu
9th November 2005, 1:35 AM
Gawd, I should not have let Dragonfree show me this topic.

To everyone that says pokémon are food and unintelligent pets:

So much for my wonderful imaginary world I can escape to when I want out of the DEPRESSING real world I loathe so much. People like you have to introduce real world bullsh** into the mix and it pisses me off.

You people just can't accept what you've been shown. NO this pokémon type of world would never work in reality. The planet would be ashes. Fricken ashes. The skills of various pokémon and the dangers they present would severely destroy the ecology and wipe out entire species. There'd be nothing left.

Yet you people just can't accept that it's NOT real, no matter how badly you want to try and make sense of it. PERIOD.

You look at the classic medieval fantasy stuff. I'll just use that as an example because I'm pretty good in that area. Dungeons filled with treasures of gold and artifacts worth entire kingdoms. If this sort of thing really existed, entire social structures would be overturned literally overnight.

The pokémon in the games are a fun game element, not a LOGICAL one.

Get it through your skulls and stop f***ing up my fantasy.

xXSaberXx
9th November 2005, 1:38 AM
D: I think they just raise REAL animals for food. :O Like....Cows for beef. But considering Miltank MIlk is AWESOME they raise Miltank for Milk. D: And eat fish as fish.

PLUS if you think about it......There'd be a bunch of POkemon Rights Activists running around telling people htey can't eat pokemon because they have concioussness. IN A WAYYYYYYYY I think It's kinda like abortion with the whole DO THEY HAVE CONCIOUSSNESS ARE THEY HUMAN kinda thing.

D: My two cents.

*hides before rabid opposers oppose her* :O

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 6:51 AM
Grumpig? Feelings? I think not. So, no I wouldn't mind eating a grumpig. But dragonair is a bit more than that. It is like eating a dolphin really.

Lord, I for onehave an image of the pokemon world, as well your own. But I truly like the concept of that pokemon are the animals of the pokemon world. So just like you prefer a fun pokemon world, I prefer a logical one. So, you are f***ing up my fantasy.

Pokemon would know a move before because it is a move it knows naturally to survive. Pokemon get used to being commanded to use the move. There. Yes, things are very softened in the game. So, if you make it a pokemon animals, the you have to make pokemon trainers animal trainers.

Blackjack Gabbiani
9th November 2005, 7:20 AM
Well, seeing as people say there's only one Farfetch'd that would be kind of weird, LOL.

Only one Farfetch'd? What are you talking about?

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 9:43 AM
Grumpig? Feelings? I think not. So, no I wouldn't mind eating a grumpig. But dragonair is a bit more than that. It is like eating a dolphin really.

Lord, I for onehave an image of the pokemon world, as well your own. But I truly like the concept of that pokemon are the animals of the pokemon world. So just like you prefer a fun pokemon world, I prefer a logical one. So, you are f***ing up my fantasy.

Pokemon would know a move before because it is a move it knows naturally to survive. Pokemon get used to being commanded to use the move. There. Yes, things are very softened in the game. So, if you make it a pokemon animals, the you have to make pokemon trainers animal trainers.
The thing is that you're excusing your theory with "Canon says otherwise, but well, canon is wrong," which is not a legitimate excuse in a debate about whether people eat Pokémon or not.

The fact is that while you think we have absolutely no real reason to believe that Grumpig should have feelings, you have absolutely no real reason to believe it should not, aside from what real-world animal it resembles.

Lord Nidokingu
9th November 2005, 10:30 AM
The thing is that you're excusing your theory with "Canon says otherwise, but well, canon is wrong," which is not a legitimate excuse in a debate about whether people eat Pok&#233;mon or not.

The fact is that while you think we have absolutely no real reason to believe that Grumpig should have feelings, you have absolutely no real reason to believe it should not, aside from what real-world animal it resembles.

Yeah, it's funny how s/he prefers a logical world, when s/he can't even use logic in a debate... =/

I guess logic doesn't really matter to her/him.

Apparently it's beyond people's grasp to accept that this imaginary world might be able to support human life without the need to harvest and slaughter another creature. Too hard to imagine that maybe the other things they eat have all the necessary nutrients a person would need. Either that or imagining a pok&#233;mon getting hacked into tiny pieces and thrown on a grill makes them moist or hard.

But to each his own, regardless of logic, right? Canon is logical, but people don't like that. They have to reflect the real world on to it and do away with canon.

Personally, I find it difficult to take a person seriously when they ignore some of the logical arguments made against them.

Chibi Pika
9th November 2005, 10:46 AM
Oh boy! A debate! ^^;

Concerning the Pokedex entries: I've wondered about that as well before, but really, there is a lot of evidence that Pokemon have differing levels of intelligence (Alakazam at IQ 5000, anyone?) so IMO, that's what they were referring too, with other Pokemon as well, like Latios's Pokedex entry.

Things like Caterpie would just merely be along the lower level, like a young child or retarded person persay, at least until they evolve, along with other Pokemon commonly thought of as unintelligent such as Slowpoke. Pokemon such as Dragonite and the like would be matched with humans, and of course, Legendarie's intellingence would be too much for us to comprehend.

And what evidence is there that Pokemon whose real life counterparts are food animals would be eaten just the same in the Pokemon world? With teaching Pokemon attacks and the like, it's far beyond that of say, teaching a dog to sit, or even beyond that of complex commands used when training animals for movies. There IS evidence that Pokemon actually understand what the word itself means. Pokemon (most of them, anyway) may be unable to speak human languages bevause of their speech restrictions, but there most certainly would be able to understand one if they had been around human long enough. If you were to translate Pikachu's "Pika pikas" you'd get normal human speech. If you were to translate a mouse's squeaks, you'd get a couple of vague meanings like, "Run, enemy, food, ect..."

There is proof of that as well. Meowth acts as a translator between Pokemon and humans. How could a non-sentient being learn to complete understand a human language?

I will not get into why some Pokemon will eat other Pokemon, however. Way too complicated and it would give away fic spoilers for LC.

Later, a portal between the Pok&#233;mon world and the animal world opened, and the humans of the Pok&#233;mon world imported animals to breed and eat.
*Stares very long and hard.* Either I'm taking that quote too literally, or our fics have yet another scary similarity. *Hides.*

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

The Big Al
9th November 2005, 10:46 AM
That's because the canon is an awful base. The anime has to be one of the most poorly contsructed. It's canon that law enforcement sucks, the bad guys are immortal, and other problems. Seriously, Pokemon canon screams to be done away with.

As for eating Pokemon. Pokemon eat Pokemon, why would humans be any different? Just because we preprocess food, how is it any different from a pakc of Mightyena killing a Stantler and tearing the flesh off its bones? Not mention humans are MEAT-EATERS and plant eaters by nature. Do you feel those sharp objects in the top of your mouth? Those have one purpose, ripping flesh. Considering people in Pokemon still possess these teeth, they eat meat.

While I've seen small birds, invertibrates, and fish, I've yet to see any large mammals to suggest cows and other food and game animals exist in the Pokemon. Also it is CANON that Pokemon like Farfetch'd and Lapras were hunted and eaten. So even if you use canon you have to admit that.

munchlaxboy
9th November 2005, 11:36 AM
The only thing that would not be mean to eat is Magicarp since its almost useless except it evolving into GYRADOS. v_v

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 12:10 PM
Anime is semi-canon. It is made by different people. And all the versions of pokemon canon together are contradictory. So I choose the one which I like.

So, if they don't eat pokemon, they eat either animals or are all vegetarians. Vegetarians could work but I don't see why they have to be. I prefer a world like ours. Animals, would make use make theories on what is the difference between pokemon and animals and why don't the obviously superior pokemon just whipe out the animals. And if there are pokemon who are more poweful than us in many ways and are as intelligient like us. Why don't they take over?

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 12:55 PM
Even you, who use game canon exclusively, have to admit that according to the in-game Pok&#233;dex, Alakazam are in fact by far more intelligent than us. Why don't they take over? Clearly Pok&#233;mon do have some motive not to take over, and therefore that argument is invalid. (I like to believe that Pok&#233;mon, while very much capable of reasoning, are lacking in creative abilities, hence why wild Pok&#233;mon haven't invented tools or anything, and therefore benefit from a human trainer in battle, which again leads to them becoming stronger and more experienced, which is what they want.)

Anim&#233; is canon enough to have had a game based on it, don't forget.

That's because the canon is an awful base. The anime has to be one of the most poorly contsructed. It's canon that law enforcement sucks, the bad guys are immortal, and other problems. Seriously, Pokemon canon screams to be done away with.
The bad guys being immortal is just there for the comical effect, but unless I'm really missing something, you have to admit that all canon maintains the same basic structure of the Pok&#233;mon world: trainers compete in league using Pok&#233;mon they have caught, Pok&#233;mon are not specifically rewarded for battling but battle anyway, a strong Pok&#233;mon can choose to fry the trainer instead of battling and there is nothing the trainer can do about that.

how is it any different from a pakc of Mightyena killing a Stantler and tearing the flesh off its bones?
It is different because humans don't go out and hunt when they want to eat. They breed the animals they eat at farms, and attempting to keep a bunch of Stantler at a farm would be a disaster - they'd probably just hypnotize the farmer and Stomp him to death. Sure, hunting one wild Pok&#233;mon at a time in groups is believable (although not everybody would be prepared to eat one), but not farming.

*Stares very long and hard.* Either I'm taking that quote too literally, or our fics have yet another scary similarity. *Hides.*
o.O You have something like that too?

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 2:33 PM
Um. Yeah. Games were first. Yeah. The games were first. And I don't use all game all the game says.

I think a steelix for example would much rather be the one who everyone listens to rather than doing what a small squishy thing that has shiny badges which you got only from using it. Lets say out of the millions of powerful pokemon, there is one who would enjoy having humans treat it like a king. So it could easily grab and beat them to death if they didn't. What prevents that happening if they are intelliegent enough to understand that people do things if there life is at risk?

Stantler. Learns Hypnosis and Stomp only once it has much experiance in battle. There is no reason why breeded stantlers would do that.

Any problems or theories which disprove what I said?

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 4:24 PM
Um. Yeah. Games were first. Yeah. The games were first. And I don't use all game all the game says.
I know that the game came first; I was referring to Yellow in my earlier post.

I think a steelix for example would much rather be the one who everyone listens to rather than doing what a small squishy thing that has shiny badges which you got only from using it. Lets say out of the millions of powerful pokemon, there is one who would enjoy having humans treat it like a king. So it could easily grab and beat them to death if they didn't. What prevents that happening if they are intelliegent enough to understand that people do things if there life is at risk?
You're making them too human now. Their intelligence can be quite human without their way of thinking being anything like ours. Intelligence =/= having a desire to control others.

Stantler. Learns Hypnosis and Stomp only once it has much experiance in battle. There is no reason why breeded stantlers would do that.
Then they continuously make attempts to fight the farmer off, and eventually that experience will cause them to grow a few levels and learn Hypnosis/Stomp.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 4:33 PM
How would they know they are killing them? Really?

I doubt that they can speak all the languages we speak.

So, how do you say pokemon think if they don't think like us but still are as sentient? What are there needs or cares?

The Big Al
9th November 2005, 4:52 PM
Dragonfree, you're forget this invention called a gun that humans created to kill things from afar. Also, Stantler wouldn't be raised. People go out into the woods and hunt like deer.

PDL
9th November 2005, 5:27 PM
Dragonfree, you're forget this invention called a gun that humans created to kill things from afar. Also, Stantler wouldn't be raised. People go out into the woods and hunt like deer.

you know, there are deer farms, they raise them for venison and antlers (which they saw off every year, they grow back) but venison isn't as popular or as available as say beef or pork

what about slowpoke tails? they're were many references to them back in GSC...

The Big Al
9th November 2005, 5:36 PM
Slowpoke tails grow back like antlers. It's too bad the anime is too kid friendly for some nutcase to shove a cooked slopoke tail on a stick in front of ASh while he was in Azela. I would have loved to have watched him turn green.

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 5:49 PM
How would they know they are killing them? Really?

I doubt that they can speak all the languages we speak.
I would refer to the animé and how Pokémon understand commands like "Dodge" and other complicated orders, but since you don't believe anything the animé says, I'll have to refer to my earlier post: If they're sentient, they can put together two and two and figure out that when they've been locked somewhere inside and a human comes and takes one of them off who is never seen again, there is definitely something fishy going on.

So, how do you say pokemon think if they don't think like us but still are as sentient? What are there needs or cares?
I fail to see how what Pokémon think like exactly is relevant to the discussion. As long as you consider the possibility that they do not necessarily think like humans, my theory makes sense.

If you read my earlier posts, it is only Pokémon farming that I believe would not make sense. Hunting would work, as long as they single out one Stantler - however, one guy with a gun won't do if you're dealing with a whole bunch of Stantler that don't even have anywhere to run. You can only fire in one direction at once.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 6:32 PM
Well, it is just I can't seem to find a way that pokemon think that makes sense so if I can't find one that makes sense then the theory on why pokemon don't cause problems falls flat, not solving the problem with the fact that if pokemon sentient, causing there to be problems with the theory that pokemon are has a sense of identity, causing there do be no reason not to eat pokemon.

I don't see why would pokemon have an idea on what is going on. Seeing a thing carried away doesn't always imply it being killed.

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 7:01 PM
Even then, a human with a gun could technically also just decide he doesn't want to be ruled by some pesky president and go to shoot him. However, if that does happen, it's not like that human will ever be allowed to take over the world. He'd be caught and punished in no time.

And seeing somebody carried away and never seeing them again is very suspicious if you ask me. If you were locked in a room and somebody took your friend out of the room for no apparent reason, keeping you in there and the friend never returns, I think you definitely would be worried. Besides that a mother whose calf is taken away would never be very happy about it, whether she actually knows what's happening to the calf or not.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 7:11 PM
I don't see why they would store them together anyway. Pokeballs are mighty convenient. And also I doubt that farmed animals would see much anyway to know that yur friend is your friend.

There are plenty of pokemon that would not know about the way civilazation works. And most of them would manage to kill a lot of people.

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 9:31 PM
I don't see why they would store them together anyway. Pokeballs are mighty convenient. And also I doubt that farmed animals would see much anyway to know that yur friend is your friend.

There are plenty of pokemon that would not know about the way civilazation works. And most of them would manage to kill a lot of people.
Then we have the Pokémon cruelty issue. Farms where Pokémon are kept inside Pokéballs stored somewhere in rows until they're slaughtered would just be too controversial.

I'd doubt there is an awful lot of Pokémon that don't know how civilization works around roads and cities commonly visited by humans - besides, of course, that as I said, even the ones that do not know how it works will be caught.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 9:59 PM
Why would they know? Do people go up to them and say or teach them ideas like "People work in groups and they have things that could kill you." I doubt that. I don't see why a muk living in the sewers would or a voltorb would know that. Yeah, lets say a muk is out there burning through people and then eating them. He has trained to do this since he doesn't have to scaveger anymore. Police come after maybe five people died, he throws acid which burns up their skin. And then comes to eat theire corpses. They throw pokeballs which he avoids and escaoes from. So, lets say this was in an office building. How many people could it kill like that? I'd say enough. Pokemon are way to powerful to have the intelligence and thought process that we have. If they did the pokeworld would be a very horrible and chaotic place.

The Big Al
9th November 2005, 10:05 PM
I still think Pokemon training is far more hazardous than the anime shows us. Both Pokemon and some trainers could be dangerous.

As for the Muk. They'd probably spray it with liquid detergent.

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 10:23 PM
Human society is an important part in the lives of Pok&#233;mon - they would definitely be brought up to prepare for their potential futures with humans.

And yes, as The Big Al said, they'd use specialized methods to protect against Pok&#233;mon that are difficult to deal with.

Sure, more hazardous than the anim&#233; shows us - but not necessarily up in chaos.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 10:42 PM
Wild pokemon? So, you would just go up to your pokemon and tell it about the world. Like the news, where the things you give to it comes from, etc. Yeah. A wild grimer who lives off eaten stuff from pipes, would care about how the humans life and people would care to make sure it knows this. Right?

So, are you saying stuff like this happens? But they have more effiecient ways of dealing. So, lets say a Machamp escapes from a pokeball. It goes off and kills many people for practice. So, then also a duskull wanders around a takes people away. Powerplants are filled with pokemon which just destroy the things that prevent them from stealing energy from machinery, people. Gyarados attack ships and boat carrying cargo and food much easier than catching fish. Vulpix run into stores where they steal food after trapping the owner.

I'd say thats chaos.

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 11:19 PM
No, no, no, people wouldn't go around trying to tell wild Pok&#233;mon how human society works. They can learn that from other Pok&#233;mon - many Pok&#233;mon are released, many Pok&#233;mon live around cities and can watch stuff, so it would spread easily.

Why would a Machamp kill people for practice? A Machamp isn't going to turn into a very experienced fighter from punching a few humans' brains out. He'll be better of seeking out a wild Primeape - or would he even go anywhere after escaping from the Pok&#233;ball at all, if he has a trainer who lets him practice against some of his equals? I don't get what you're referring to in the Duskull thing, but humans need to operate the machinery in the power plant, and I don't know how you're finding that it would be easier for a Gyarados to attack a ship probably full of Pok&#233;mon trainers with Electric Pok&#233;mon than it would to find a Remoraid swarm, open his mouth and catch a mouthful.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 11:24 PM
No, no, no, people wouldn't go around trying to tell wild Pok&#233;mon how human society works. They can learn that from other Pok&#233;mon - many Pok&#233;mon are released, many Pok&#233;mon live around cities and can watch stuff, so it would spread easily.

Why would a Machamp kill people for practice? A Machamp isn't going to turn into a very experienced fighter from punching a few humans' brains out. He'll be better of seeking out a wild Primeape - or would he even go anywhere after escaping from the Pok&#233;ball at all, if he has a trainer who lets him practice against some of his equals? I don't get what you're referring to in the Duskull thing, but humans need to operate the machinery in the power plant, and I don't know how you're finding that it would be easier for a Gyarados to attack a ship probably full of Pok&#233;mon trainers with Electric Pok&#233;mon than it would to find a Remoraid swarm, open his mouth and catch a mouthful.

So, pokemon get released and they go babbling between each other. Of course. Why would they watch stuff or talk between themselves? So, they just go and have chats? Pokemon don't have much reason to be with others.

It doesn't care. It think battling equals experience. Easy battling means easy experience for him. It probably doesn't know what a prime ape is probably. Who say the trainer does? Duskull wander at night taking people away. A magnemites don't know that. They know there is energy in the battery and there is a thing blocking it. Why would there be a ship ful of electric pokemon. Get some friends tip it and have them drown. Just examples that may happen. Remoraid are rarer than you think. Only one island.

Dragonfree
9th November 2005, 11:29 PM
Now you're saying "Well, the Pok&#233;mon are stupid so yeah, it would equal chaos", and since we're basing this all off the assumptions that Pok&#233;mon are not stupid...

Also, there's an awful lot of trainers out in the street or at least people who have some Pok&#233;mon. It's not like a Machamp can walk around a street and nobody would have a Pok&#233;mon to try to bring it down, and the staff of a power plant would definitely carry some Pok&#233;mon to protect themselves from Magnemite if there are Magnemite all over.

And a ship's crew would carry Electric Pok&#233;mon, too, exactly for incidences like that.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah. I never said stupid. Just uneducated. No one teachs these pokemon. They assume things.

Ah. Of course since eveyone has a pokemon that could take a machamp. I doubt that. Pokemon like Machamp probably take 10 to 20 years to train. I can't name a pokemon that would be commonly available in a city so I don't see why there would be many people with them in one. So you are saying people at plants have pokemon so they need to research a lot don't they. I mean to travel to a place that has those pokemon, then train them and then have to learn everything necessary to work there. I guess no one under 35 works.

Still, three gyarados underwater knock over the ship, the pokemon drown. The end.

The Big Al
9th November 2005, 11:38 PM
If you actually play Pokemon. The harder the opponent, the more effort points a Pokemon recieves. So battling tough opponents help Pokemon develope there abilities more fully. So killing random humans wouldn't help a Machamp grow as if it battles other Fighting Pokemon.

Also, humans have an ability that surpasses that of any Pokemon. That's enginuity. As I said, rampaging Grimers and Muk could be driven back by using liquid detergent which was dissolve them if they took too much. Humans through technology and technique could counter most any Pokemon.

Another issue is the Pokemon's attitude. I believe most Pokemon are passive, only fighting in defense of their territory. They could care less about humans as long as they aren't threatening them.

Another Fan
9th November 2005, 11:48 PM
I play pokemon, I know. Machamp doesn't.

So both of you are saying that problems like this do arise but they are fixed easily. So, you would say pokemon are intelligent, we can't eat them for that, they do cause problems with their power but the fact that we have enginuity prevents them. So, you would prefer a very chaotic world with smart pokemon than a simple world with simple pokemon. Either way is fine, really. I just do not like a world that is so different from ours cause I believe it doesn't have to be and it is much harder to make the pokemon world livable. Just if you have it with intelligent pokemon you have to make theories on various things. Most of them will change the world completely. But whatever. But something that may seem normal and you could do it fine normally but then everyone has to have highly-trained pokemon, can choose not to go to school and all towns are focused on pokemon, etc. It just changes the world so much that it is impossible to imagine things in a way that makes sense. I believe it causes much more problems than it is worth. And a simple world were pokemon are animals and trainers are uncommon doesn't seem to have problems for me.

Seijiro Mafuné
9th November 2005, 11:54 PM
I've noticed AF goes for realistical logic, while TBA and DF go for canon logic.

Me? They probably eat Pok&#233;mon as meat. Or vegetables, in the case of Tangela. It depends on the author.

The Big Al
10th November 2005, 12:00 AM
I doubt most people could be trainers. It takes a special kind of person to live around dangerous Pokemon and put your trust in them. I doubt the ratio of trainers to the total population is greater than 1:100,000. Also, Pokemon might be used "civilian" duties like construction, search and rescue, weather forecasting, and others in which the "trainer" still requires extensive college or trade school training.

Dragonfree
10th November 2005, 12:29 AM
Why would a Machamp who has been with a trainer for ten or twenty years go on a rampage upon escaping from its Pok&#233;ball? Wouldn't it stay loyal to its trainer, whom it's been friends with for ten or twenty years?

You say we have to make theories, and yes, we do. I like making theories. However, you're wrong about the theories changing the world completely - at least my goal when I make theories is to explain the world depicted in canon, while you, in ignoring large portions of canon, are essentially changing everything (though none of the canon you actually accept).

So yeah, really. As I said, if you choose to ignore parts of canon it's your choice, but at least I say I can get it to make sense in my mind even taking the canon into account, so I prefer that.

Another Fan
10th November 2005, 10:45 AM
If you accept all canon, you get a large contradictory mess. As well as a world where, ghosts can be found extremely easily and still everyone doesn't believe in the supernatural or practically every attack has to have the word energy when discribing it. Canon for me is the games, right? Yeah, so I don't have to follow anything else. Also, since the games are vague, I can interpret it as I like. Still, following canon. Just not that show. I for one, absolutely HATE when people think that the only canon is the show. And this is what is going on here.

Why would he be loyal or be friends? Not everyone cares about their pokemon so much.

Dragonfree
10th November 2005, 7:22 PM
What, am I claiming that the only canon is the show? I don't even watch it. But that doesn't change it's still canon which I choose to follow.

You may decide that nobody cares about their Pok&#233;mon too much, but I have to say I don't find it very believable that a Machamp would stick to a trainer for ten or twenty years if the trainer really doesn't care.

Another Fan
10th November 2005, 7:33 PM
Why not? He gets fed.

I don't see anything else that is saying pokemon are complex creatures that can understand things at a similar level that we do.

Dragonfree
10th November 2005, 10:13 PM
Funny, since you go by game canon and the only evidence that trainers feed their Pok&#233;mon is from the anim&#233;.

Another Fan
10th November 2005, 11:02 PM
I figured since most life needs food, it would be okay for creatures that are similar to those in our world to eat food. I still don't believe stuff like tangela does though.

The Big Al
10th November 2005, 11:12 PM
Well, in the Pokedex they do go into Pokemon diets (such as Ekans eating eggs and Pigeot eating Magikarp).

Here's a switch. Do any of you think there are man eating Pokemon?

Another Fan
10th November 2005, 11:21 PM
Yes. I don't see why not.

Dragonfree
10th November 2005, 11:54 PM
Well, to a fairly large Pok&#233;mon predator, humans are really just easy prey that can't breathe fire to fight against them...

However, I like to think that Pok&#233;mon don't go around eating humans like there's no tomorrow, simply because of what a big deal humans make if one of them is killed and the friends/family want to hunt down the Pok&#233;mon that did it, etc. It would happen, but not like every day.

Chibi Pika
11th November 2005, 3:22 AM
Holy froot...this is getting is getting interesting. oO;;

I don't see why Pokemon being intelligent would equal chaos. >> Even if a Pokemon did decide that he didn't want to listen to humans and wanted to rule over them, he'd get taken down by the League in ten second flat. >> And the point still remains that even though as humans, we would acknowledge Pokemon as superior to us, IMO, Pokemon do not think they are superior to humans. Mew even once refers to a human character in my fic as her equal, but there are specific reasons for that, and that's going off on a bit of a tangent.

The way I base things in my fic, Pokemon would be well aware of how humans possess technology and live in cities and the like simply from hearing about it from others who had seen it, heard about it, been capture once, ect. (Think about it: even if we didn't have TV/computers/whatever, we'd still have a basic idea of how people live in other countries.) I doubt there'd be a single Pidgey out there who hadn't seen at least one city in their lifetime. The Pokemon respect the humans' complexity of intuition and ingenuity that they themselves lack, (but that Legendaries have.)

Pokemon wouldn't stamp out animals, because then they'd have to live exclusively on other Pokemon. Besides, even if they did, people from Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn could just import animals from the other continents (I do have the rest of the world exist in my fic.)

o.O You have something like that too?
I dunno, I think mine is different. In my setup animals live in both, but Pokemon originated in a different "world" than humans did and didn't live on earth until after the portal opened.

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

Another Fan
11th November 2005, 9:20 AM
I don't see why the league would go around traveling and as well as being there to be challenged. You know if there is pokemon on one place there probably are going to be on other countries. I don't see why one pigdey which sits in a park, would know about pokemon other than ratatta and pigeotto or how human society works. I mean it is born there and has plenty of resources and probably never saw how people react when threatened. So, I see what you are saying but it seems a bit farfetched.

Jem
12th November 2005, 5:07 AM
Hm, well, Pokemon are both intelligent and unintelligent. Although they display more intelligence than most normal animals, there also happens to be the fact that they do not, as far as I know, speak in a normal human language. Well...I actually believe myself that Pokemon have their own language by which they can confer, but the games and cards, etc. cannot express it...

Another Fan
12th November 2005, 10:36 AM
Well, it is just every pokemon speaks differently and not all of them can make the sounds others can. So, having words as we know it would be hard. Especially if you believe they say their only their name. I guess it could work. Depends on other things.

Dragonfree
12th November 2005, 1:52 PM
Hm, well, Pokemon are both intelligent and unintelligent. Although they display more intelligence than most normal animals, there also happens to be the fact that they do not, as far as I know, speak in a normal human language. Well...I actually believe myself that Pokemon have their own language by which they can confer, but the games and cards, etc. cannot express it...
Foreigners are unintelligent because they do not speak normal English.

Oh, wait, that's just because they speak another language.

The Big Al
12th November 2005, 4:09 PM
"The ability to speak is not a sign of intellegence." Said Qui Gon(or whatever his name was). Neither is the lack there of that ability a sign of unintellegence.

I was thinking, would Pokemon think they weren't dominant over their territory's humans. The Squirrels in the woods probably think they own my family because we feed them during the winter.

Seijiro Mafuné
12th November 2005, 4:12 PM
Well, it'd explain why they wouldn't attack us - they think we are just pawns in their games.

And it's Qui-Gon.

The Big Al
12th November 2005, 4:17 PM
I changed it, thanks.

In fact, I wrote in the explaination of Battlefield Tamamushi that Pokemon saw trainers an ability to travel where they never could on their own to face opponents they may otherwuise never see in their lives. Granted a relationship between Pokemon and trainer grows with time but that could be why they agree to put up with a trainer at first.

Dragonfree
12th November 2005, 6:00 PM
I changed it, thanks.

In fact, I wrote in the explaination of Battlefield Tamamushi that Pokemon saw trainers an ability to travel where they never could on their own to face opponents they may otherwuise never see in their lives. Granted a relationship between Pokemon and trainer grows with time but that could be why they agree to put up with a trainer at first.
That's exactly the reason I've been using in my fic - additionally, the only reason a Pokémon would stay with a trainer after being trained to its full potential (reaching level 100) is that along the way, trainer and Pokémon have usually bonded so they prefer each other's company.

Haunter
12th November 2005, 10:24 PM
Well, thinking about it over the last week or so, I've decided that eating pokemon is generally down to the culture.

Like the Markiye people in my fanfiction eat pokemon because they believe that they are honoured to be able to eat the pokemon and it is like a religious experiencey thing. (It sounds better in my head)

Anyway, the non native people who live on Markiye have sort of adopted the practice of eating pokemon but they're not as enthusiastic as the Markiye people. (Again, it's better in my head)

Jay star
12th November 2005, 10:38 PM
i dont think they eat pokemon in the pokemo world cos they are more like pets than animals and they understand people and are to inteligent killing one of them to eat it is like canabalism if its like a pet friend and understands you O_o

Seijiro Mafuné
12th November 2005, 11:38 PM
Since when is eating a dog cannibalism? It's a dog. Okay, so Pok&#233;mon are smarter than the average dog. It's still stupid to say that.