PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Warrior (428)

Serebii
10th November 2005, 3:57 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/428.jpgWeekend Warrior

On their way to the Battle Dome, Ash & Co. come across a town called Silver Town where a Pokémon Contest is being held. May is eager to earn her second Kanto Ribbon so enters. However when she meets a really tough trainer, she realises it will not be easy. Will she be able to defeat this trainer with her Combusken & Squirtle?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/428.shtml)

Discuss

JazzJazz
10th November 2005, 6:15 PM
Please, someone tell me that May didn't develop a new, recurring rival in this episode.

Addydo
10th November 2005, 8:12 PM
I can't wait to see the Episode pictures! :D

Alfonso
10th November 2005, 8:22 PM
Please, someone tell me that May didn't develop a new, recurring rival in this episode.

Dude, even when we know what happens in this episode, we won't know if this guy isn't a new recurring rival for May. We didn't know Shuu was one until he turned up for the second time, same goes for Harley. (Even though Harley was a given to return after his exit.)

DANdotW
10th November 2005, 8:22 PM
Me either, I really hope Haruka loses this one, especially with her Zenigame in it.

Hunter

ghost master
10th November 2005, 8:48 PM
Me either, I really hope Haruka loses this one, especially with her Zenigame in it.well it's just doing appeal. Combusken is fighting the Venusaur.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th November 2005, 8:50 PM
OMG!? DID CUMBUSTIN EVALVES?

Just had to do that for once. What I'm mainly interested in is what exactly does the Guitarist do to make him a Salaryman?

EDIT: Zak on BMG said May won. No other details at time of comment.

Eh, Combushken beating Venausaur is a perfectly fair victory, now if Squirtle shot a Ice Beam at it and won...

ŁańkaŃ
10th November 2005, 9:43 PM
OMG!? DID CUMBUSTIN EVALVES?

Just had to do that for once. What I'm mainly interested in is what exactly does the Guitarist do to make him a Salaryman?

EDIT: Zak on BMG said May won. No other details at time of comment.

Eh, Combushken beating Venausaur is a perfectly fair victory, now if Squirtle shot a Ice Beam at it and won...

so..Combusken beats Venasaur..intresting...and cool...

not much other detail..well we just got to wait for another few hours..SOME ONE WILL put details up eventually..lol...

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th November 2005, 9:46 PM
Also Zak mentioned something about Crawdaunt evolving in the next episode.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
So, does May still need 5 Ribbons to enter the GF? Or is it a diffrent number for Kanto?

Addydo
10th November 2005, 9:59 PM
So, does May still need 5 Ribbons to enter the GF? Or is it a diffrent number for Kanto?

You mean Corphish right!?

ChaosMage
10th November 2005, 9:59 PM

If it does;

A) I will be delighted
B) That manga is inaccurate
C) I'll never think badly of the writers again

HOWEVER... I still do feel badly of the writers, and will until I see this thing. I doubt it's true.

ŁańkaŃ
10th November 2005, 10:32 PM

WHAT WHAT!...that'd change things big time..lol I DON'T THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN..

as the last two times of MANGA predictions came right in ep...and this time...it is to happen..we've heard..lol HMM...WHAT WILL HAPPEN.lol

it all depends on Zak...to come forward with the info...or someone that has actually seen the episode...lol

EDIT:...Zak had actually said about the NEXT EP...the Dragonair one of a scene with Crawdaunt..he didn't confirm it being Ash's Corpish that evolves...SO STILL WE DON'T KNO ANYTHING ABOUT THAT...till we all see the preivew..and more likely the EP...to confirm...

CyberCubed
10th November 2005, 10:32 PM
That's impossible. The Battle Dome episode which takes place after the Dragonair one shows Ash with Corphish in the comic. It's probably misleading or something.

Anyway I knew Combusken would beat Venuasaur.

Gravy
10th November 2005, 10:46 PM
Well, considering the ribbon case Shuu has contains spaces for five ribbons, I'd say its a definate 'yes'.

Yay, 'shamo kicked its wart-covered ***. Thank god for that, it was in need of a decent victory~

♥~Darkness Within~♥
10th November 2005, 11:46 PM
I hoped May gets kicked into in this Episode, OOOOO! Corphish evovles that
would be cool

Serebii
11th November 2005, 12:01 AM
Can you please not discuss future episodes in this thread. This thread is for this episode alone

V Faction
11th November 2005, 1:02 AM
So about that Dragonair episode...

Dogasu
11th November 2005, 2:47 AM
So why does Haruka have her Gonbe around if she's not going to use it in Contests?

Either get a new pokemon or start using your Gonbe, because I don't want to see Zenigame / Wakashamo in every Contest.

V Faction
11th November 2005, 2:49 AM
I'm glad to finally see some Gon-imosity from you, Dogasu.

Jo-Jo
11th November 2005, 3:46 AM
They're obviously saving Munchlax up for something big later on. Any Pokemon that looks useless and hardly ever gets to do anything in the beginning might as well have a huge neon sign over its head reading, 'ATTENTION! IMPORTANT FUTURE PLOT POINT!' See Togepi, Squirtle, etc.

Judai Yuki
11th November 2005, 3:52 AM
she doesnt use it in contests how do u know?o.O

Geodude
11th November 2005, 4:08 AM
she doesnt use it in contests how do u know?o.O
Uh, maybe because she didn't use it in this one OR the last one? Was that really that hard to figure out? -_-

packerdan
11th November 2005, 5:08 AM
I think the reason why we haven't seen Munchlax in a contest battle yet is because they don't want to give away *too* many of a new pokemon's attacks. Think about it. Have we really seen that many concrete moves coming out of 4th generation pokemon? The Munch will probably be used in a contest as we get closer to D/P and they are more willing to give out info on the new pokemon.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
11th November 2005, 9:07 AM
So Combusken didn't evolve?
they blew another great oppurtunity! first the sneasel and Mr.Mime ep and now this!

Missingno. Master
11th November 2005, 9:46 AM
Hey, any sign of the Zigza- I mean, the "mysterious" egg hatching yet???

Shigeru-kun
11th November 2005, 12:27 PM
Hey, any sign of the Zigza- I mean, the "mysterious" egg hatching yet???
Haruka just got that egg. Why on Earth would it be hatching now? Especially since there's mention of an egg getting stolen quite a few episodes after this.

ŁańkaŃ
11th November 2005, 12:35 PM
Well...well...i jsut saw some of this ep's pics...and it's preety cool...

Squirtle...does a good job on APPEAL :D...lol

it's ending was cool...with Ice Beam :D...i loved it...

And combusken did a good job, but i'd love to see some appealing from it..lol

ghost master
11th November 2005, 1:21 PM
I think the reason why we haven't seen Munchlax in a contest battle yet is because they don't want to give away *too* many of a new pokemon's attacks. Think about it. Have we really seen that many concrete moves coming out of 4th generation pokemon? The Munch will probably be used in a contest as we get closer to D/P and they are more willing to give out info on the new pokemon. well it knows 3 attacks. Metronome, solar beam, and focus punch. I don't think they're holding back at all really.

So Combusken didn't evolve?
they blew another great oppurtunity! first the sneasel and Mr.Mime ep and now this! you actually though it would evolve? come on it was just battling a venusaur. According to you combusken battlig anything that is at a higher stage would be a perfect time for it to evolve. Also I think it would be too soon I mean may just recently got a squirtlre and has an egg with her.

Well I saw pics. Basically there was a contest in silver town May enters it and Jessie says it is beneath her to enter in small town contests. So Jessie goes berry hunting and pretty much disappears for the entire episode and one thing noted is that Manene stays on James' shoulder the entire episode. Anyway Ash and co. meet a couple who is going to watch the contest and has a very quick chat with May. May decides to use squirtle for the appeal and combusken for attack later on. Before she enters Squirtle is covered in flowers and may eventually takes it all off it. For appeal Squirtle used bubble and a big bubble is formed in the center then it uses ice beam and the bubble pops leaving this magnificient ice thing that formed around the giant bubble before it popped. Then mister guitar dude comes out and uses butterfree after his appeal the couple that Ash and co. met before come onto the stage and complain to him because they don't want him to participate in it but, he says it has been his life dream and the audience does an aww sort of thing and the couple lets him continue. Of course May,guitar guy, and two other randomn people make it. May's combusken creams the executor and Guitarist's venusaur defeats vileplume. Then Venusaur and combusken face off. Venusaur is at first winning then it uses frenzy plant which brings down may's points alot but, Venusaur is affected by recoil which causes it to be immobile for a brief time which allows May to order multiple pecks at venusaur. Guatarist risks frenzy plant again and uses it and may has a sliver a point left but, then orders a sky uppercut and venusaur is knocked out and may wins. Ash and Co. say goodbye and TR gets attacked by Beedrills.

V Faction
11th November 2005, 4:48 PM
well it knows 3 attacks. Metronome, solar beam, and focus punch. I don't think they're holding back at all really.
What packerdan means is.... They aren't ready to show it in contests because it's actual data from the Diamond/Pearl games hasn't been released yet. We do not know if it will get a move list similar to Snorlax or if it will receive an entirely new line-up.

Right now, all of it's attacks could be considered TMs or Move Tutor attacks.... That is to say, they're attacks that are learned based on outside influence rather inside influence and therefore will have little effect on what Munchlax can actually learn. Giving it attacks like Solarbeam and Focus Punch have no consequence. If they gave Munchlax an attack outside these parameters, then they could potentially have a continuity problem. (Little aside here: it seems they don't care about this with other Pokemon, as seen by Charizard's dragonbreath most recently. what makes Munchlax so special I don't know)

That entire cause leads into the thing with the contests. They don't want to place Munchlax in one because Contests usually mean growth and development in a larger scale, something they do not want to tackle yet with Munchlax.

vaporeon89
11th November 2005, 7:09 PM
Did Squirtle use Rapid Spin ( in a combo with Ice beam)?

;134;89

VenusaurMaster
11th November 2005, 7:23 PM
This episode stinks! ANYONE GO AND BEAT MAY! I ALWAYS WANTED MAY TO BE DEFEATED, BUT NOW I WANT HER TO BE DEFEATED SO BADLY! VENUSAUR ROCKS, AND NOW I HATE MAY! SOMEONE! sOMEONE! BEAT THAT MAY!

The Big Al
11th November 2005, 7:30 PM
I agree with VenusaurMaster. Combusken should have ready to be served with a side of Noddles at Freeway Fritz yet took out Venusaur in two hits after it had been owning its rear for more than half of the battle. Seriously, anything defeat May and I mean absolutely destroy her.

So, the guy was a corporate type who wore the rocker costume to relive his past. Like Phantom Jr. an interesting character reduced to May's punching bag.

Flamez
11th November 2005, 7:33 PM
damn VenusaurMaster relax lol. I've seen the episode. May uses Ice beam with a combination of rapid spin i think i really dont understand japanese. May definetly did some off screen training with squirtle cuz theres no way squirtle could've pulled that appeal off without some. Venasaur vs. Combusken was good in my opinion, may uses fire spin at first but vensaurs vine whip rips through it with nothing and mays points drop. I like how with a little bit of life left combusken runs through the vines of the frenzy plant attack and sky uppercuts venasaur, nicely done. o and i want to point out something real quick this is the second contest in kanto and still they didn't give points for the appeal i hope they change that since i like to know what score they achieve for their appeals.

Gravy
11th November 2005, 7:34 PM
This episode stinks! ANYONE GO AND BEAT MAY! I ALWAYS WANTED MAY TO BE DEFEATED, BUT NOW I WANT HER TO BE DEFEATED SO BADLY! VENUSAUR ROCKS, AND NOW I HATE MAY! SOMEONE! sOMEONE! BEAT THAT MAY!
The episode sucks just because she beat your favourite? And now you hate Haruka just because she beat one of your favourites?

...grow up.

ghost master
11th November 2005, 7:55 PM
I agree with VenusaurMaster. Combusken should have ready to be served with a side of Noddles at Freeway Fritz yet took out Venusaur in two hits after it had been owning its rear for more than half of the battle. Seriously, anything defeat May and I mean absolutely destroy her. yes heaven forbid Combusken actually do good against something it should do well against.Also did anyone notice her egg was nowhere to be seen in this episode.

JazzJazz
11th November 2005, 8:10 PM
So why does Haruka have her Gonbe around if she's not going to use it in Contests?

It seems to be a recurring theme in Pokemon for the characters to lug around pokemon that they barely use... they seem to only serve as pokeball-warmers or something.

Flamez
11th November 2005, 8:35 PM
Her egg was shown, max was holding it. When Squirtle ran off somewhere and may was looking for it max,brock and ash showed up and max had it in his hands.

CyberCubed
11th November 2005, 9:16 PM
YES! I was worried that May would be constantly holding that egg in front of her chest until it hatched. Thank goodness the writers realized that would be incredible injustice for it to be there in every episode.

Team Rocket Admin
11th November 2005, 9:27 PM
"Silver Town" WTF????????? :confused:

Brinstar
11th November 2005, 10:00 PM
Venusaur vs Combusken was kinda short...

Either way, Frenzy Plant was pretty badass looking

ghost master
11th November 2005, 10:06 PM
Silver Town" WTF????????? Come on TRA you've been here long enough to realize they make up towns all the time.

RandomCharizard
11th November 2005, 10:16 PM
Great episode. I didnt like it though because the announcer keeps on going "Are you Reeaddy?"

PlusleMinun
11th November 2005, 11:22 PM
Frenzy Plant was cool and Squirtle was great at appeal. That's all Ive got to say

PDL
12th November 2005, 12:16 AM
I like May alot... but I'm getting tired of her winning every contest she enters... I'd like her to lose one for a change...

CyberCubed
12th November 2005, 12:32 AM
Well to be fair, she just lost the Grand Festival. She's only had two wins in a row, and Combusken defeating Venusaur was a given, just because Combusken is so damn awesome.

Ash needs to lose again too, but I guess the writers consider the leagues the "loss" for both characters. Thus now they're getting wins to make up for it.

Joe
12th November 2005, 1:14 AM
Just seen the pictures, looked quite good, not great, but still....good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/cyberfazza/gio.png

Tis Giovanni!! :o

The Big Al
12th November 2005, 1:40 AM

You're right. It is Giovanni, with a mullet. XD

PDL
12th November 2005, 1:44 AM

exact same thing I thought when I saw that guy... exact same features... crazy...

"Team Rock and Roll"

Sabre
12th November 2005, 1:53 AM
Response to picture: This would be the animators being lazy about character designs, that it is. P:

...and to stay on-topic, this episode was rather boring. |: I was hoping for much more a fight from Venusaur... it wasn't particularily great that her Combusken defeated it with one hit -- because if they had been given a longer time to battle, perhaps it could have actually shown it's mettle as her Pokemon, and shown that it (and May) had developed enough to defeat a really powerful Pokemon such as Venusaur, using Frenzy Plant (which in the anime is really very good...). *sigh* Oh well. The writers will never fully meet my expectations, but I'm not carping just yet. P:

Gravy
12th November 2005, 2:18 AM
If you want lazy, just look at this shot (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/thehells.jpg).
A blue Breloom, a Marril with green/white/whatever ears, and a Linoone with yellow and red stripes. Why stick to the official colors when you can make up your own!

Geodude
12th November 2005, 2:21 AM
it wasn't particularily great that her Combusken defeated it with one hit
ONE HIT? What the heck do you call the flurry of Pecks that occurred just a few moments before that if they weren't hits? -_- People, come ON, before posting about this episode, could you at least use a little brainpower?

Loved the piano version of Smile, and the Combusken/Venusaur battle was excellent, as was Squirtle's appeal. :)

The Big Al
12th November 2005, 2:24 AM
Unfortunately we have to settle with Screen shots that can leave out important event because they happen during a gap. Combusken could have opened a Jump Point and brought in a Centurai Battlecruiser in to vaporize Venusaur for all we know.

Heracross
12th November 2005, 2:28 AM
If you want lazy, just look at this shot (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/thehells.jpg).
A blue Breloom, a Marril with green/white/whatever ears, and a Linoone with yellow and red stripes. Why stick to the official colors when you can make up your own!
As bad as that is, I still think the Tetsuya battle episode was worse. :x

JazzJazz
12th November 2005, 2:51 AM

No, no... those are just super-rare pokemon, the writers are just teasing us with signs of what is to come in the future of Pokemon... if only.

CyberCubed
12th November 2005, 2:57 AM
Should we be worried if the animators are getting THAT lazy?

Heracross
12th November 2005, 3:01 AM
Probably. Having horrible animation once was just annoying, but when it happens again it's not a good sign. I'm just glad we haven't seen any more CG stuff recently. :s

The Big Al
12th November 2005, 3:02 AM
Should we be worried if the animators are getting THAT lazy?
It's the sign of the end of the world because the Pokemon animators are lazy bumbs who couldn't color to save their lives. Not mention it's point and click now a days. Unlike when they actually had to paint the cells.

BrokenDreams
12th November 2005, 3:04 AM
No the writers are just retards

Heracross
12th November 2005, 3:05 AM
No the writers are just retards
I'm inclined to agree, but I don't see what they have to do with the animation errors. >_>

The Big Al
12th November 2005, 3:08 AM
I was thinking the same thing. When both your writers AND your animators are beginning to suck, you know you have problems.

Torkoal Stu
12th November 2005, 7:25 AM
Is it me or did loads of charecters look like Giovanni? I mean they all had Giovanni features, tis scary o0.

So are all the contests in Kanto going to be one pokemon for appeals and one for battling? As for Freenzy Plant it was pretty wicked ^.^ And about those colors *shudders*

skarmachild
12th November 2005, 9:01 AM
YES! I was worried that May would be constantly holding that egg in front of her chest until it hatched. Thank goodness the writers realized that would be incredible injustice for it to be there in every episode.

I know, if she did I'd probly never be able to watch Pokemon with a smile again. Hope she doesn't do a Misty. But then, Togepi had a rough ride on it's journey. Anyway, Frenzy Plant looked might fine, but Venusaur got it's *** handed to it on a plate. Go May!

Does anyone know if May finnaly DOES get a Blaziken? It seems so because they seem evolve almost every Pokemon in the Advanced series .

Yamato-san
12th November 2005, 9:08 AM
I still f***ing hate that turtle. Damn you Glory Day! Why did you have to practically re-show every frame of animation that the thing appeared in throughout this episode?

Either get a new pokemon or start using your Gonbe, because I don't want to see Zenigame / Wakashamo in every Contest.

Yes, yes, agreed. For god's sake. out of Zenigame and Gonbe, please use the lesser of two evils.

Probably. Having horrible animation once was just annoying, but when it happens again it's not a good sign. I'm just glad we haven't seen any more CG stuff recently. :s

um.... what do you call Zenigame's bubbles, then?

Since there's some confusion in the early posts, let me clear something up.... that wasn't a "couple" that Haruka was talking to near the beginning of this episode. That was actually a mother and son, whom were looking for Ogata, the salaryman/rocker who's a husband and father to them (as if the flashback didn't make that obvious enough). And kudos for making Fushigisou appear in that flashback as opposed to yet another Fushigidane. And kudos a second time for acknowledging that Frenzy Plant forces the user to rest afterwards.

Shadowcat
12th November 2005, 11:01 AM
Well, it seems that guy with the guitar in the flashbacks, looks like Giovanni to me. Or is it the salaryman guy? Anyway, I am such a failure at reading that.

Also, Gonbe may be used soon, we shall never know.

Gravy
12th November 2005, 2:45 PM
What was up with this extreme close-up of Haruka's chest (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/errrrm.gif)shot they insisted on using constantly? >_>

I was a little dissapointed by Haruka's big contest battle. It wasn't particulary bad or anything, and a lot of the techniques and strategies used were pretty neat, but IMO it was far too short and ended far too quickly.
And thats because the majority of the episode focused on Mr. Salaryman's sob story. Not that I think its a bad thing, because its always nice to get a little backstory behind Haruka's opponents.
But really, part of me wishes this had been a two parter. That way we would have had an episode to focus on this guy's troubles, and the next we could have a really good set of kickass battling.

But despite that this was a pretty OK episode. The appeals were fun to watch, the characters introduced were anything but typical and the final battle was fine. 'Shamo running down the Frenzy Plant vines was awesome :P

I also liked how they pretty much completely wrote Team Rocket out of the entire episode. That is the sort of thing they should do more often, and definatly the sort of thing they should do for every Gym battle. A short sequence at the begining, and a short sequence at the end. It worked perfectly.

Geodude
12th November 2005, 2:48 PM
What was up with this extreme close-up of Haruka's chest (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/errrrm.gif)shot they insisted on using constantly? >_>
They're teasing us. They've gotta be. :p

CyberCubed
12th November 2005, 2:56 PM

They can get away with that because the camera still half-way focuses on her neck, it's not completely focusing on her breasts, just her upper chest. I think they did that in an older contest episode too, but whatever the case may be I hope they continue.

Yamato-san
12th November 2005, 3:15 PM
But really, part of me wishes this had been a two parter. That way we would have had an episode to focus on this guy's troubles, and the next we could have a really good set of kickass battling.

who wants to bet that, as opposed to lengthening this plot into a two-parter, they're gonna waste their time and money on a total crap filler between now and when Diamond/Pearl are released, proving once again that they had absolutely no reason to rush things?

V Faction
12th November 2005, 3:21 PM
I think the breast thing about this episode was that tit incorporated some effective stratittes and presented us with some amazing comboobs. Uh. Combat.

skarmachild
12th November 2005, 3:25 PM

Darn, where have I been I was going to post that.

But hey - who's complaining?

*waits for rush of Misty fans*

MaskedManAbsolkid
12th November 2005, 3:28 PM
I think the breast thing about this episode was that tit incorporated some effective stratittes and presented us with some amazing comboobs. Uh. Combat.

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages.

I think it was too rushed, and would be better as a 2-parter.

Gravy
12th November 2005, 3:30 PM
And so, it just goes to show you, that you can always count on V Faction to deliver some laughs.

V Faction
12th November 2005, 3:50 PM
And so, it just goes to show you, that you can always count on V Faction to deliver some laughs.
I'm just fortunate that you guys enjoy my humor. Otherwise, I would have been out of a job long ago.

Brinstar
12th November 2005, 4:06 PM

Giovanni in the early 80's! Didn't you guys know? He toured with Sabbath and Iron Maiden back in the day with his early metal band, "The Rockets". \m/

FlamingRuby
12th November 2005, 4:16 PM
FR's English title prediction: "I'm Your Venusaur!" (parody of the chorus of the song Venus)

MaskedManAbsolkid
12th November 2005, 4:37 PM
FR's English title prediction: "I'm Your Venusaur!" (parody of the chorus of the song Venus)

I don't really like it. You do know that you can't predict eppy titles in these topics?

Looking at a few piccies, I like the character because it seems like he leads a double life.

skarmachild
12th November 2005, 5:12 PM
I don't really like it. You do know that you can't predict eppy titles in these topics?

Looking at a few piccies, I like the character because it seems like he leads a double life.

He probably got the dub name because of the recent "It's still Rocket Roll to me", but it would be pretty funny to see if it actually got that. Probably won't be though.

Sushi
12th November 2005, 5:28 PM
Squirtle in appeals > Squirtle in battles.

So, what it did in this episode looked quite impressive, I admit. Especially the second part of its appeal, when it blasted the bubbles with Ice Beam.
And Combusken was totally awesome. Just how Combusken fought back right after the second Frenzy Plant attack hit it in the face proves how cool it is. Really, I have no problem with the fact that it won, but I would have, as many already said, liked it even better if the battle hadn't been so short.

Alriiight, Ogata immediately made it into the list of my favorite coordinators, right after Harley and Grace. They made a nice contrast between his clumsy behavior when he arrived at the stage and his powerful performances throughout the competition. I really like the idea of an employee being interested in Contests (and Pokémon, of course) with the other family members calling him crazy for that. On a side note, his voice in the flashback seemed to be Kojirou's, huh?

Good episode. Nothing compared to the Battle Arena ep though. XD

V Faction
12th November 2005, 5:39 PM
Sushi Sushi Sushi. Mind filling me in on the attacks used in the episode? I've got Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, and Frenzy Plant for Venusaur, Poisonpowder and Stun Spore for Butterfree, and possibly Rapid Spin for Squirtle. Any others?

vaporeon89
12th November 2005, 5:55 PM
Sushi Sushi Sushi. Mind filling me in on the attacks used in the episode? I've got Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, and Frenzy Plant for Venusaur, Poisonpowder and Stun Spore for Butterfree, and possibly Rapid Spin for Squirtle. Any others?

Whirlwind and Safeguard for Butterfree too

;134;89

JazzJazz
12th November 2005, 8:45 PM
Squirtle in appeals > Squirtle in battles.

Maybe, but squirtle is still relatively young and inexperienced... I'm sure its battling skills will eventually improve.

V Faction
12th November 2005, 9:13 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Sushi was expressing her opinion. An opinion that implies Squirtle is preferred to be appealing rather than battling.

If that's the case, I have to agree. I don't like watching "Squirt" fighting, because that increases the odds that it might just win. And it should NEVER win. We might end up with a repeat Ariados incident on our hands.

The Big Al
13th November 2005, 12:45 AM
Is it just me or would this episode have been just fine without ANY TR? In fact, it might have been better with the time taken to show Team Rocket are alive to be used for contest battles?

JazzJazz
13th November 2005, 3:15 AM
Is it just me or would this episode have been just fine without ANY TR? In fact, it might have been better with the time taken to show Team Rocket are alive to be used for contest battles?

There's actually a few episodes I've seen where it seems that Team Rocket was only included because the writers felt that they had to be...

13th November 2005, 1:26 PM
as Much I like May, she realy should have lost this one..... I mean she was so low on points when her opponent was adverage, and with less then 15 seconds left she won! I mean how unbelivable is that?
and what the crap where TR doing?
plus the episode was rushed, worse contest ever

4/10

Yamato-san
13th November 2005, 1:42 PM
as Much I like May, she realy should have lost this one..... I mean she was so low on points when her opponent was adverage, and with less then 15 seconds left she won! I mean how unbelivable is that?

Comments like that should be meant towards the previous contest. This contest made a bit more sense, considering they took Frenzy Plant's drawback from the games and incorporated it into the anime, giving Haruka the time needed to make a quick comeback. Plus, rather than an inexperienced baby, she won with what's most likely her strongest Pokemon.

13th November 2005, 1:46 PM
Comments like that should be meant towards the previous contest. This contest made a bit more sense, considering they took Frenzy Plant's drawback from the games and incorporated it into the anime, giving Haruka the time needed to make a quick comeback. Plus, rather than an inexperienced baby, she won with what's most likely her strongest Pokemon.
all the kanto contests are realy rushed and annoying at the moment.....

The frenzy plant thing was the only good thing about this contest

Gravy
13th November 2005, 1:51 PM
The frenzy plant thing was the only good thing about this contest
Thats not true at all. It was still a good battle, but it was just far too short.

The Big Al
13th November 2005, 2:01 PM
Which is why they should have left TR out of the episode. The time wasted on them could have gone to a longer to Chicken v. Toad battle.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
14th November 2005, 3:15 AM
I thought the episode was pretty good. I liked the ending with Team Rocket although I'm not sure what they were looking for.

DKzM0mA
14th November 2005, 5:32 AM
I beileve they were looking for berries

Samayowa
14th November 2005, 11:50 PM
Too bad this wont be in america for quite some time. T_T *cries*...sigh...

Diamond and Pearl

DSRGBA
15th November 2005, 9:18 AM
is there any episode where TR wasnt in it (-1st ep)

Addydo
15th November 2005, 9:40 AM
What attack was Butterfree using when it was glowing!?
Was the Purple dust Poisonpowder or Sleep Powder!?

Mawile_Eyes
15th November 2005, 10:08 AM
Yes, i think that's Poison Power and Stun Spore
Then maybe it used Confusion

Addydo
15th November 2005, 11:07 AM

Thanks! :D

vaporeon89
15th November 2005, 2:23 PM

Butterfree used Poison Powder(purple), Stun Spore(Orange) and Whirlwind for move them . The green light is Safeguard

;134;89

Blaziken master
15th November 2005, 3:44 PM
I felt they could have used something more interesting than a butterfree, like a qwilfish or something

Kthleen
15th November 2005, 6:38 PM
DSRGBA: No, there wasn't. (Not of the normal episodes, anyway. I haven't seen them myself, but from the pictures, TR isn't in Snorlax Snowman, The Cabin, Kanga Games, Stantler's Little Helpers or We The Pichu Brothers. They aren't in A Family That Battles Together, Stays Together!)

What I wonder is how in the hell Frenzy Plant could take away more than a third of Haruka's points the first time, but less that 1/6 the second. (Unless you count the block plus the hit, but even then, it's less than the first time.) And as much as I like TR, TBA is right.
Ogata was an interesting character, too. I did like the contrast between his clumsy corporate man self and his rock coordinator style. I felt bad when everybody was laughing at him, though. However, it was cool when he showed them what he was instead.

Geodude
16th November 2005, 12:58 AM
I think his "real" self only appeared clumsy because he was all rushed and frantic. Since he was so together as a rocker, he probably isn't really a klutz.

Ever get up late for school, and knock over something in your rush to get out the door? Same deal.

Pokemon Fan
16th November 2005, 6:56 PM
plus the episode was rushed, worse contest ever

Hmmm, an experienced Fire type beats a Grass type, how is that unbelievable? How could it be called the worst contest ever? I'd say that title squarely belongs to the one with Dusclops and Skitty.

I mean sheesh, the fact that Venusaur did so well was to show how powerful it was and make the episode more exciting. I certainly was impressed with how close it was. I myself remember in the games occasionally having matches where I won by only 1 HP (not that the points on the contest thing are necessarily HP) and its quite exciting.

Really, I can't see anything wrong with this episode except that maybe it was a little rushed. Squirtle's appeal was inventive and beautiful (how could anybody hate it so much after that, plus its appearence wearing the flowers) and Combusken vs. Venusaur was one of the closest battles ever in the show.

What I wonder is how in the hell Frenzy Plant could take away more than a third of Haruka's points the first time, but less that 1/6 the second. (Unless you count the block plus the hit, but even then, it's less than the first time.)
I was under the impression it was probably because Combusken took only a minor hit the second time Frenzy Plant was used, and it dodged most of the attacks attempts to hit it.

<><><>

On another note, I think it can be assumed now that May's Squirtle is a girl, not simply for the flowers but for the feminine blushing pose it made. ^_^

Lastly, some people here are complaining about Munchlax not being used. Isn't it more realistic that way? Munchlax only recently started battling in the show, so why should it suddenly star in a contest? Even May's baby Squirtle had a few battles in various episodes before it starred in a contest. We should be HAPPY Munchlax wasn't used, and if it was I know people would be complaining about that too.

CyberCubed
16th November 2005, 7:08 PM
Yeah, the writers probably don't want to overuse Munchlax this early on. We know that Munchlax will still be here when the D/P region starts, and then we'll start seeing May use Munchlax over and over again.

I'd rather she rarely use it now, otherwise we'd get so sick of it being in contests already that when she uses it in the D/P region we'll be uninspired to watch it's contests.

V Faction
16th November 2005, 11:53 PM
On another note, I think it can be assumed now that May's Squirtle is a girl, not simply for the flowers but for the feminine blushing pose it made. ^_^
There's that face again.

Yeah, it's female. Or more precisely, a feminine incarnation of evil and suffering.

a7med
18th November 2005, 1:55 PM
hey guys wehen i go to the epsode guieds i see 404 eror

Pokemon Fan
18th November 2005, 3:42 PM
There's that face again.
What is wrong with the face exactly? Does it mean something I am not aware of as I thought it was just a happy smile. I'll try harder to stop using it if there's a good reason, it's just the real smilies take forever to load as they're at the very end of all the 300+ pokemon icons.

V Faction
18th November 2005, 6:38 PM
What is wrong with the face exactly? Does it mean something I am not aware of as I thought it was just a happy smile. I'll try harder to stop using it if there's a good reason, it's just the real smilies take forever to load as they're at the very end of all the 300+ pokemon icons.
It's the face you can post and get away with things when you do. Not necessary you, but other you's. Such as...

"You steaming pile of horse **** ^_^"

"That's okay, we all know your theories are a bunch of ****ed up nonsense that no one would have listened to anyway! ^_^"

"^_^ Thanks a lot you stupid ***hole."

And when I see you post it, I know you're trying to act as the voice of reason, who looks at both sides of the argument/problem/situation. It's your way of saying "Hey guys, can't we all just get along?" It doesn't have anything to do with load times or crap like that.

After all, why do you think 5000+ members use stupid faces like that in their posts? Gives 'em something to do.

RandomCharizard
23rd September 2006, 4:17 PM
lol Jeremy looks like Giovanni with a mullet in the flashback.

Lil Brother
23rd September 2006, 4:33 PM
Yeah, the writers probably don't want to overuse Munchlax this early on. We know that Munchlax will still be here when the D/P region starts, and then we'll start seeing May use Munchlax over and over again.

I'd rather she rarely use it now, otherwise we'd get so sick of it being in contests already that when she uses it in the D/P region we'll be uninspired to watch it's contests.Roflskates.

Giovanni of the Eighties is awesome. :P

Red
23rd September 2006, 4:39 PM
I liked this episode alot, may did awesome in the last round, i thought she was gonna loose.

WaterDragon trainer
23rd September 2006, 5:04 PM
This episode was great. The guy that always says “remarkable” (forgot his name) had a terrible new voice IMO. Squirtle was awesome in the preliminaries. Awesome to see Frenzy Plant. The contest was awesome.

darza77
23rd September 2006, 6:12 PM
ughh...........may really should have lost i mean venesaur had like 20 years of experiance on combusken and that last frenzy plant should hav fainted combusken.

Gravy
23rd September 2006, 7:12 PM
Hey! I've got a rather insignificant question that doesn't contribute to the 'discussion' in any way!
Did PUSA's Combusken actually sound halfway decent? 'Halfway decent' meaning 'better than the crap it blurted out before the dubbing switch'.

S.Suikun
23rd September 2006, 7:16 PM
Honestly, I wasn't paying attention to Combusken's voice. Beedrill kept its Japanese voice and said "Spear", however.

Korobooshi Kojiro
23rd September 2006, 7:31 PM
Hey! I've got a rather insignificant question that doesn't contribute to the 'discussion' in any way!
Did PUSA's Combusken actually sound halfway decent? 'Halfway decent' meaning 'better than the crap it blurted out before the dubbing switch'.

Sounded slightly better to me, like it sounded like a fighting chicken instead of some guy going.. "***-Bush-kin!"

Gravy
23rd September 2006, 7:38 PM
Sounded slightly better to me, like it sounded like a fighting chicken instead of some guy going.. "***-Bush-kin!"
Nothing beats "Shamo, Shamo, Shamo SHA!", but if it's better than 4Kids effort AND sounds like the Karate Chick that it should be, then that's A-OK in this sauce's book.

Korobooshi Kojiro
23rd September 2006, 7:40 PM
When it used it's flamethrower, it was like... "COMSHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

SHAMO! SHAMO! SHAMO! SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

S.Suikun
23rd September 2006, 7:44 PM
Might I add that Lilian also sounded closer to her Japanese counterpart than 4Kids' rendition did. (This one was higher-pitched) She says "Let's get busy!" instead of "Here we GO!", though. (It actually reminded me of Yamato-San's parody sub where Lilian was a hooker)

Gravy
23rd September 2006, 7:52 PM
When it used it's flamethrower, it was like... "COMSHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
As they say on the Interland Net; For The Win.

She says "Let's get busy!" instead of "Here we GO!", though. (It actually reminded me of Yamato-San's parody sub where Lilian was a hooker)
When you picture a woman in that attire, saying that line, one can't help but to chuckle up a storm.
It doesn't matter who the hell is dubbing (or subbing!) this show. Pokémon always manages to deliver some wonderfully dodgy dialogue.

Korobooshi Kojiro
23rd September 2006, 7:54 PM
PUSA, who are like "force-feeding" the Spoiled people who like the original better everything they want, should of left her dialouge in Japanese.

So, we could hear random engrish.

chosen_one386
23rd September 2006, 7:54 PM
This episode was one of the best contests ever! Squirtle did a great job in her appeal round and the finals match was VERY close and exciting. FINALLY one of the starter special attacks is used and its animation was great!

Lillian sounded higher pitched, but I actually like her new voice much better than the old one. The two judges, though, sounded terrible!

Quote of the episode:

I was meeting with a client and he wouldn't SHUT UP!!!!!

XD!

Pika Hikari KT
23rd September 2006, 8:04 PM
When you picture a woman in that attire, saying that line, one can't help but to chuckle up a storm.
It doesn't matter who the hell is dubbing (or subbing!) this show. Pokémon always manages to deliver some wonderfully dodgy dialogue.
Indeed. BTW, Gravy; the Robotnik/Elecbull merge is awesome. You're like the fifth person to make the coincidential connection.:p

Cobalt_Latios
23rd September 2006, 9:15 PM
Not a bad episode at all. I have to admit that May's Squirtle was practically meant for contests. I hate the voice of that judge next to the guy that says "remarkable". His new dub sounds nothing like the narrator, as it used to. Also the voice of that "remarkable" guy just doesnt work well. For the first time, the new VA for May almost sounds dead on. Ash could use a few more episodes Brock is doing great and Max, well, what do i care.

I have to agree with the fact that that guitar guy in the flashback looked a lot like Giovanni. Not too sure how you end up with that.

I also noticed that they used another strong attack within 2 episodes. Frenzy Plant here and Volt Tackle in the other one.

~C_L~

Moeteimasu Umi
23rd September 2006, 10:21 PM
Am i the only one who noticed the purple brloom in this episode im watching the sceen over and over(i have TIVO ^_^) and its puple i mean WTF?!?!?!

Ashy Boy
23rd September 2006, 10:56 PM
I don't understand why Jessie didn't bother to take part in the contest after all the bragging about wanting to be a top coordinator.

Medea
24th September 2006, 1:12 AM
Well, this was the one contest from the Battle Frontier season I have not seen until now. It was okay (even for a contest that didn't have Contestshipping or a trans). Jeremy was pretty cool when he was in contest. I swear to God, when I saw him on stage I was just waiting for the moment for his pants to split. Who else wanted to see that? Anyways, now for the one part that made me yell at the television, throw soda cans at the television and other things was when I heard Contesta and Sukizo's voices.

JESUS "TAP DANCING" CHRIST THAT WAS HORRIBLE!

Feel free to critisize whatever I said right now, but I stand by what I say dammit!

Anywho, even though I hate May's little puke-bucket Squirtle to the deepness in my soul, it was really good in the first round.

Well that's all for now!

Darkness Angel
24th September 2006, 1:37 AM
I thought this was a reasonable one.

NewBrock
24th September 2006, 9:50 AM
Nothing beats "Shamo, Shamo, Shamo SHA!", but if it's better than 4Kids effort AND sounds like the Karate Chick that it should be, then that's A-OK in this sauce's book.

I am so glad that people are liking Combusken. I know there were some people who were less than thrilled with Grovyle and I was concerned that the same sentiment would occur with Combusken.
While I have to agree that nothing beats "Shamo, Shamo, Shamo, SHA!" (we always have a great laugh in the studio listening to that) I am happy with my performance as the Kung Fu Chicken.
He's just so much fun. He looks both funny and cool at the same time. He's got great moves (my favorite being Sky Uppercut) (BTW, expect to hear some lung ripping Uppercuts in future episodes).
But the most important thing is...he's a chicken! I heard the original 4Kids voice for him and tried to stay faithful, but at the same time, really wanted to keep the spirit of chicken in him. I damn near wet myself when he goes to peck out Venusaur's eyes. It was the highlight of my day when I dubbed that. He's one bad mother-chicken, and he don't mind fighting dirty.
Sorry to get all fanboy here, but COMBUSKEN ROCKS!!! Definately in my top 5!

ER1C612
24th September 2006, 4:41 PM
Am i the only one who noticed the purple brloom in this episode im watching the sceen over and over(i have TIVO ^_^) and its puple i mean WTF?!?!?!

No you aren't, I also kept rewinding my DVR although I don't think it was a Breloom, or any other current Pokemon for that matter.

If you look at the 1st pic on the 2nd row of this link http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/428.shtml you can see this mystery pokemon (the blue-purple one with a green collar), the reason I say it isn't a Breloom is, (a breeloom pic is in this link http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/houen/358ps6.shtml)
1. The green collar around it neck, Brellom's collar sticks out, this one bends down.

2. Breloom have 2 little mushrooms on there head, neither of these little mushrooms are there.

3. Breloom's head is shaped like a mushroom, the mystery pokemon's isn't.

So if anyone knows what the pokemon in the link above is, please tell me.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
24th September 2006, 5:13 PM
I think the animation in that specific Pic was just really off. If you look at Shroomish, one of its bigger spots is the same color as its 'skin', and Marill's ears are white as opposed to red. I think it's just a pathetically shoddy Breloom, but hey, who knows? Maybe it's some random Pokémon that doesn't come to mind at first. Maybe it's a D/P Pokémon. Maybe it's an Omega Metroid. It's hard to tell, tbh.

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion

Bulba the Great!
24th September 2006, 6:09 PM
NewBrock, I am EXTREMELY glad you're working with PUSA now. You're possibly the best talent they have. You're doing a pretty spiffy Brock, and you're Grovyle is nearly spotless. And, I believe your Combusken may be almost exactly like the Japanese voice...only you can't really yell "SHAMO SHAA!".

One thing I'm concerned about...the new contest judges. Do you know who voiced them?

Keep up the great work, NewBrock. Can't wait to see the Bonsly capture epi-it'll be a great Brock-centered one for you. (I wonder if he's dubbed it yet?)

~Bulbs ;001;

Lishus13
24th September 2006, 10:12 PM
I think the Appeals look alot better in the new Kanto format. I don't know if it changed with the voice actors, but the contests seem to be cooler. I mean, in Hoenn, basically all Beautifly did was create sparkles. But May's Squirtle was AWESOME!

NewBrock
25th September 2006, 3:09 AM
NewBrock, I am EXTREMELY glad you're working with PUSA now. You're possibly the best talent they have. You're doing a pretty spiffy Brock, and you're Grovyle is nearly spotless. And, I believe your Combusken may be almost exactly like the Japanese voice...only you can't really yell "SHAMO SHAA!".

One thing I'm concerned about...the new contest judges. Do you know who voiced them?

Keep up the great work, NewBrock. Can't wait to see the Bonsly capture epi-it'll be a great Brock-centered one for you. (I wonder if he's dubbed it yet?)

~Bulbs ;001;

Thank you for the high praise. I am doing my best to make the transition a smooth one. But I'm also having a blast doing it.

I'm not really sure who is handling the new contest judges. sorry. We're so busy running around doing the show that I only really have time to focus on the characters assigned to me.
Speaking of which, the Bonsly episode is done and I am really happy with Brock's performance. There are lots of great Brock moments in it. It airs in a few weeks and I think the fans are gonna be real happy with it. And to answer the question that many asked at Comic Con, his name is Bon-SLY, not Bons-LEE. Proper corrections have been made and he sounds adorable. NewAsh and I heard it in a recent session and we love the new voice.

NewBrock
25th September 2006, 3:10 AM

~Bulbs ;001;

Thank you for the high praise. I am doing my best to make the transition a smooth one. But I'm also having a blast doing it.

I'm not really sure who is handling the new contest judges. sorry. We're so busy running around doing the show that I only really have time to focus on the characters assigned to me.
Speaking of which, the Bonsly episode is done and I am really happy with Brock's performance. There are lots of great Brock moments in it. It airs in a few weeks and I think the fans are gonna be real happy with it. And to answer the question that many asked at Comic Con, his name is Bon-SLY, not Bons-LEE. Proper corrections have been made and he sounds adorable. NewAsh and I heard it in a recent session and we love the new voice.

NewBrock
25th September 2006, 3:10 AM
Sorry about that gang. Had some computer troubles and ended up with multiple posts.

wobbanut
26th September 2006, 1:52 AM
Well, this was definitely an entertaining episode. I really liked Jeremy and his son, though his wife was a bit annoying at first. I think I would have liked the flashbacks a bit better if young Jeremy didn't look disturbingly like Giovanni with a wig, but the episode as a whole made him one of the more interesting characters of the season so far. I liked how Lillian and Jeremy both made the contest crowd crack up too.

Overall, 7/10.

jolteonjak
26th September 2006, 6:58 PM
I liked this contest...Jeremy was kinda hot. I can't remember Combusken's voice, so I can't comment on that. I like how the egg disappeared for all of the contest until the end with Max holding it.

I did notice that the Beedrill at the end kept its "tsupea" (Spear) call from Japan.

NewBrock, you continue to improve. Thank you. I wish you could tell NewAsh and NewJames to read some criticism on their voices.

Ashy Boy
7th October 2006, 1:14 PM
I forgot to add that the only thing I didn't like about this ep was Jeremy's wife and her hatred for Pokemon. It kinda reminded me about the two-part Contest episode in Hoenn.

SheWhoLovesPineapples
14th October 2006, 7:15 PM
Did she hate Pokemon? It seemed to me that she was just annoyed that her businessman of a husband was acting like a teenager.

I also noticed that the Beedrill kept their Japanese voice.

Meh... May's voice was better than usual, but it could still use some improvement. I'm sure it'll improve over time, though.

I don't care one way or the other about Contesta's voice - all he ever says is "Good job", and stuff anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Yes, Sukizo sounded very, very different. LOL, I was like, "What the heck - Sukizo doesn't sound retarded!" And then I remembered he had a new VA... I don't care one way or the other about his voice, either.

I liked the way they portrayed Lillian. She seemed a little bit more like a real MC... and she reminded me of the Pokemon Rocks America girl. (What was her name again? Tracey?)

I do agree that the whole thing was a bit rushed. And if I was that kid(forgot his name), I'd be embarrassed as heck.

What's-her-name (the wife) should've sounded younger in the flashback...

All in all, 6/10.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
15th October 2006, 2:28 PM
I suppose it was a good episode, if it was a bit rushed.
Just when I thought that the new VAs were alright, and I accepted them, they did something very wrong with one of my favourite characters from the past few series'. The 'Remarkable' Man. Just no.
Aslo, quick question, TR were searching for berries in the grass. Why? We all know they grow on trees...

SheWhoLovesPineapples
18th October 2006, 12:32 AM
Just when I thought that the new VAs were alright, and I accepted them, they did something very wrong with one of my favourite characters from the past few series'. The 'Remarkable' Man. Just no.

He's one of your favorite characters and you don't even know his name? o_0

(It's Sukizo, BTW.)

coolcobra77
18th October 2006, 12:41 AM
No you aren't, I also kept rewinding my DVR although I don't think it was a Breloom, or any other current Pokemon for that matter.

If you look at the 1st pic on the 2nd row of this link http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/kanto/428.shtml you can see this mystery pokemon (the blue-purple one with a green collar), the reason I say it isn't a Breloom is, (a breeloom pic is in this link http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/houen/358ps6.shtml)
1. The green collar around it neck, Brellom's collar sticks out, this one bends down.

2. Breloom have 2 little mushrooms on there head, neither of these little mushrooms are there.

3. Breloom's head is shaped like a mushroom, the mystery pokemon's isn't.

So if anyone knows what the pokemon in the link above is, please tell me.

If you loo kat the photo really closly I see 2 little mushroom things but they are kinda fuzzy, also Brelooms collar does bend down... it isn't stright out like I see in both pictures. So some wierd error proably at the studio and they slipped in a shiny Breloom by accident.

We really can't count it since it wasn't battled but maybe it was just a thing that they slipped in to fool us.

On topic: Great show, the wife was kinda dumb... at least her fat didn't cover her face like the last anti-pokemon lady. It was also a really good showing of frenzy plant. Overall very good show, and the voices got better too!

Anyone 4 Buttons?
18th October 2006, 4:16 PM
He's one of your favorite characters and you don't even know his name? o_0

(It's Sukizo, BTW.)

The 'Remarkable Man' sounds much better than his real name in my own opinion...
As for that blue Breloom in the beginning, it was probably just a small artwork error, as the pokémon hardly had a seconds screentime, and not that much attention was paid to it.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 2:59 AM
I'm hoping that it wasn't an error, because it was a cool shiny Breloom.

But this episode was a great one. A pretty stupid fluke by May in this episode, by her Combusken getting tripped up by that frenzy plant move. She should have lost. But she didn't, so it was an ok K.O. By that Combusken. Dint know how it got enough power to uppercut and make that Venasaur fly. But OK. 8/10

CyberCubed
15th December 2006, 3:03 AM
But this episode was a great one. A pretty stupid fluke by May in this episode, by her Combusken getting tripped up by that frenzy plant move. She should have lost.

Why exactly should May have lost? Do you ever do anything but whine about Contests battles?

It's pretty disgusting that you continue to do this when Ash defeats Pokemon the same way.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 3:24 AM
Disgusting? I don't see whats so disgusting... But its true. She Flukes just about every single one of them! But She should have lost because that Venasaur was using Frenzy Plant and tripped it up, and since its a move that stuffed up Combuskens attack, she should have run out of points to battle. But it didn't even get rid of any points and it was extremely stupid.

But that disgusting word is quite funny... Cause its not disgusting. Whats disgusting is that May won. But its a kids program and it made them happy so yeah.

CyberCubed
15th December 2006, 3:35 AM
Disgusting? I don't see whats so disgusting... But its true. She Flukes just about every single one of them!

What the hell are you talking about? You're one of the only people who whines in every Contest thread.

Geodude actually confronted you about this in the May/Jessie Contest thread but you ignored him.

But She should have lost because that Venasaur was using Frenzy Plant and tripped it up, and since its a move that stuffed up Combuskens attack, she should have run out of points to battle. But it didn't even get rid of any points and it was extremely stupid.

Just because they didn't show the point system, doesn't mean she didn't lose points. It's not going to take away ALL her points.

But that disgusting word is quite funny... Cause its not disgusting. Whats disgusting is that May won. But its a kids program and it made them happy so yeah.

Or rather because you have no idea what you're talking about. The battle in this episode was entirely well-scripted, and you whining that May "flukes" in every Contest shows your ignorance.

You're just one of those pathetic people that whines during every Contest episode without actual merit to your points.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 3:51 AM
I didnt know that Geodude asked me a question, because I dont always check up on some threads to see if people talk to me. I just say my opinion and rating and leave. But you know I have actually said good things about some contest. So dont say that im all this and that because im not. I know I whine alot. But its my opinion and I can say it whenever I want. Because this is what the threads are about. Arent they? =S

CyberCubed
15th December 2006, 3:52 AM
You can say whatever you want about an episode.

But that doesn't mean that someone won't eventually come along and reply to your points. People are free to respond to someone who they disagree with as well.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 3:57 AM
I never said they couldnt. I actually thought that the Frenzy plant move was the only good thing in the contest IMO but you dont have to come along and say that stuff about me. I can express what I want about this episode. But you just come along and say bad things about me, I know I say things like she flukes all the time, but I do say good things aswell.

Geodude
15th December 2006, 4:13 AM
Your opinion can be whatever the heck you want it to be. But if you fail to back it up, you just end up looking stupid when people intelligently argue against you.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 4:15 AM
Oh great, now I have you on my case. Ill put it down next time I make an opinion ok?

Geodude
15th December 2006, 4:16 AM
Geodude actually confronted you about this in the May/Jessie Contest thread but you ignored him.
Link? I don't remember this.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 4:19 AM
It should be the thing about the ghost pokemon and how the Banette got hit by a normal attack. But I havnt seen any other episode with a Ghost pokemon being caught by a net. So I have an excuse for that.

CyberCubed
15th December 2006, 4:19 AM
Link? I don't remember this.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=117283&page=7

Remember how people were whining that Squirtle could hurt Banette with a physical attack? I made that comment since you replied to Knight Ram about pretty much the same thing there.

Geodude
15th December 2006, 11:29 AM
Oh, that one. OK, I remember now.

Amaranth
10th February 2007, 5:08 PM
Jeremy > All God Hes Cute :3

Too Many Butterfree's THERE EVERYWHERE Plus The Shiny Pokemon Fiasco But Hey Ive Moaned In Two Other Threads Today ._.

~ James

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:22 PM
I hate how may just keeps running into new people every single contest. It's very boring to me. Didn't like this episode.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 11:43 AM
I hate how may just keeps running into new people every single contest. It's very boring to me. Didn't like this episode.

oh well she seems to be good at it i don't mind, allways the same person wouldn't be good either would it?

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 2:30 PM
Great contest.

Venasaur was powerfull, especially his grass type moves.

And May's Combusken was amazing. i loved his sky uppercut.

9/10

Lorde
21st January 2010, 11:24 PM
Rofl, the Japanese title was a litle misleading. I mean "The Rival is a Salaryman?" Come on. Why not Working Man?

I loved how we finally got a manly guy doing Contests in between working. It was a new twist. Usually we get effeminate males like Drew and Harley challenging May.

As for the Contest Battle, who would've thought May's Combusken would've taken out that brute Venusaur (despite the type advantage). 8/10

Willow's Tara
20th May 2010, 4:19 AM
That does looke like a blue Breloom, just an artwork error (Although looks nice).

Not a fan of contests but Butterfree's contest stuff looked pretty cool, I like the Stun Spore and Poison Powder combo. I think the wife was quite unfair on her husband considering, he should be allowed to enter contests if he wants, you are never too old for anything. It was nice that May won when it looked like she was going to lose.

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 1:53 PM
Nice battle bewteen Combusken and Venusaur.... that guy used Frenzy Plant too much

Painkiller2001
30th January 2011, 7:39 PM
Giovanni in the early 80's! Didn't you guys know? He toured with Sabbath and Iron Maiden back in the day with his early metal band, "The Rockets". \m/

Speaking of Iron Maiden, they have a song called "Weekend Warrior".
I'm wondering if the dub title was named this because of the "Salarymans" "second life"?
Think about it. His "second life" is being a guitarist in a band. Iron Maiden. Song called "Weekend Warrior". Episode title of the same name.

I apologize if I'm looking way too much in to this, but that's just how I saw things.

G50
26th April 2011, 2:31 AM
This episode was good. It was cool to see Combusken finally learning Sky Uppercut, It's 1of my favorite Fighting-Type attacks. The battle between Combusken and Venusaur was really cool. Squirtle was great during the Appeal round, especially with the way it used Ice Beam at the end. I'm glad Combusken took advantage of Venusaur not being able to move after using Frenzy Plant and ended up defeating it. I'm glad May won the Contest.

79/100

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 1:56 AM
Combusken vs Venusaur, that was really nice =D

Vernikova
5th September 2012, 8:27 PM
Random character introduction with a story that I don't care about. At least we got another contest but it wasn't an episode to write home about.

Dawn+Serena Fan
27th June 2013, 7:27 PM
It was a pretty interesting episode. I enjoyed May's contest and her battle with that guy's Venasuar.

p96822
27th June 2013, 7:30 PM
This is the first time that we see the Elemental Hyper Beams in the anime right?

PokemontrainerY
6th August 2013, 12:08 AM
In this episode, May arrives at Silver Town's Contest hall for entering the Pokemon Contest. There she meets Jeremy, who's entering the contest too.
I thought it's was nice of May when she was encouraging Jeremy to do what he enjoys doing.
The final battle between May's Combusken and Jeremy's Venesaur was great, I liked how Combusken took advantage of Venusaur, who couldn't move after using Frenzy Plant. Combusking defeating Venesaur by using Sky Uppercut was cool.
I'm glad May won the Contest and got her second Kanto ribbon.