PDA

View Full Version : An Olden Pond! (429)

Serebii
17th November 2005, 7:53 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/429.jpgAn Olden Pond!

On their way to the Battle Dome, Ash & Co. come across a lake which is being ravished by a wild Crawdaunt. One of the residents nearby pleads Ash & Co. to help remove the Crawdaunt so that the area can be safe and peaceful once more. Will Ash & Co. be able to do it?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/429.shtml)

Discuss

Addydo
17th November 2005, 8:27 PM
Can't wait to see the pictures! :D

ŁańkaŃ
17th November 2005, 8:30 PM
This should be intresting..as from what the plot is given...

so...we do kno that Pikachu will be using Volt Tackle here :D...

and Corpish makes some kinda scene..hope it is a battle :D...

so..it maybe a 2-on-1 battle..or 1-on-1 battle..

my guess is Corpish vs. Crawduant...and Pikachu use Volt Tackle on TR...:D

JazzJazz
17th November 2005, 8:36 PM
The main this I'm curious about is how dragonair comes into this episode...

DKzM0mA
17th November 2005, 9:46 PM
Dragonair is probably the one to get rid of the crwdaunt in the end?

Golden Darkness
18th November 2005, 7:45 AM
Looks like the intro's been updated.

Dustox's in the TR lineup. No Manuyla running across the screen.

No Lucario and Mew. Instead, we have a animated version of the Pokemon Mysterious boxarts.

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Scene:

http://img44.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=e3f_PMDScene1.jpg
http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=697_PMDScene2.jpg
http://img45.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=06a_PMDScene3.jpg
http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=2f8_PMDScene4.jpg
http://img9.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=f33_PMDScene5.jpg
http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=254_PMDScene6.jpg

The updated Team Rocket part:

http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=82a_TRScene1.jpg
http://img45.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=64a_TRScene2.jpg

Pokeballs
18th November 2005, 10:19 AM
Awesome Dustox is finally in an intro... i think this is the first time but why is Chimecho still there? =O

DSRGBA
18th November 2005, 10:36 AM
we havent seen the last of chimecho...maybe

ŁańkaŃ
18th November 2005, 11:41 AM
Looks like the intro's been updated.

Dustox's in the TR lineup. No Manuyla running across the screen.

No Lucario and Mew. Instead, we have a animated version of the Pokemon Mysterious boxarts.

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Scene:

http://img44.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=e3f_PMDScene1.jpg
http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=697_PMDScene2.jpg
http://img45.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=06a_PMDScene3.jpg
http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=2f8_PMDScene4.jpg
http://img9.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=f33_PMDScene5.jpg
http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=254_PMDScene6.jpg

The updated Team Rocket part:

http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=82a_TRScene1.jpg
http://img45.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=64a_TRScene2.jpg

ok..those are real cool things to kno about :D...

but what happens in the ep? I definetly kno that Dragonair is coming out of that dark...where it was showed in the preview...

The Big Al
18th November 2005, 11:43 AM
Well, Corphish didn't evolve (bummer). I'd still like to see what Dragonair has to do with any of this.

Kanadian Kyuubi
18th November 2005, 1:03 PM
Okay, I'm emailing 4Kids, those new scenes should have been in the Advanced Battle intro in the first place. Oh and in the new TR Dance, are they still suddenly scared by something?

Serebii
18th November 2005, 1:12 PM
Please discuss the intro in a proper thread...this thread is just for this episode and not the intro's or endings

Kanadian Kyuubi
18th November 2005, 1:17 PM
But there is no thread about these changes...*prepares to start one*

Gravy
18th November 2005, 1:30 PM
Judging by the pictures I've seen, it looks like Haruka's Squirtle uses Hydro Pump at some point to deflect an oncoming BubbleBeam attack.
Its either that or a fancy combination of Water Gun/Rapid Spin. I believe Ash's Squirtle did that sort of thing a few times in the early days.

vaporeon89
18th November 2005, 1:38 PM
Seen some pics in bulbagarden

Did Squirtle use Hydro Pump? At least his Rapin Spin is confirmated

Vaporeon used Quick Attack, Acis Armour and Bubble(?)!!!!

From this pics I say that this is a great episode

EDIT: Sorry Vaporeon didn't use Bubble , I confused its head with Squirtle's head

EDIT2: I've seen the whole ep pics and Vaporeon didn't use Acid Amour, but it melted into water.
It used Water Gun
;134;89

Lupin
18th November 2005, 1:41 PM
Judging by the pictures I've seen, it looks like Haruka's Squirtle uses Hydro Pump at some point to deflect an oncoming BubbleBeam attack.
Its either that or a fancy combination of Water Gun/Rapid Spin. I believe Ash's Squirtle did that sort of thing a few times in the early days.

It had better be that.

I will be extreamly p****d off with the writers if they let Mays Squirtle learn Hydro Pump so soon. Even with her record of her pokemon learning powerful moves really quickly.

The Big Al
18th November 2005, 2:23 PM
I could just picture Yamato-san getting ready to shoot himself if it is Hydro Pump. Still, the blasted terapin is as bad as that Paras way back when. One victory and suddenly it's a super hero.

Pokeballs
18th November 2005, 3:52 PM
No I'm pretty sure it was just Rapid Spin, while being super propelled by Marshstomp's water gun and Corphish's Bubble Beam.
Corphish seems to get a whipping from Crawdaunt and Vapereon, but after training is able to hold his own against Crawdaunt in a rematch
Pikachu seemed to be training w/ Volt Tackle... can't tell if he was unable to use it or what...

Blaziken master
18th November 2005, 4:17 PM
I have seen the pics. It wasn't hydro pump, just like pokeballs said. The mafia like man just wanted to use his crawdaunt to search the pool for dragonair which rescued him at a younger age. It appears at the end of the episode. There are cameos of remoraid, barboach, wooper,quagsire and poliwag as well

MaskedManAbsolkid
18th November 2005, 4:28 PM
So it was basically a boring filler? I'll look at the episode pictures to see.

Blaziken master
18th November 2005, 4:47 PM
So it was basically a boring filler? I'll look at the episode pictures to see.

It has plenty of corphish screentime, the second crawdaunt battle looks pretty cool. It also battles the old woman's vaporeon

crawdauntpro
18th November 2005, 5:03 PM
It has plenty of corphish screentime, the second crawdaunt battle looks pretty cool. It also battles the old woman's vaporeon

Anybody forsee a Corphy evo here, or is it just me?

Infinite Master Sceptile
18th November 2005, 5:15 PM
It didn't evolve. Serebii has the pics up, and they definitively confirm what most of us already know. Or are you saying it might evolve soon. But not next episode, because we know what happens in that one.

V Faction
18th November 2005, 6:20 PM
This episode was far from boring, it just had no point. But I'd say, with all the Corphish attention, this looks to be the best BF Filler yet.

And if my intuition is correct, this could be the signal for Corphish to never evolve. I believe Ash had to look up Crawdaunt in the Pokedex, correct (now, I'm not 100% if it was Ash). So Crawdaunt has been fully established. Now, I realize in the past that Pokemon ran into their evolutions right before they themselves evolved, but I'm so sick of trying to figure out patterns that I could care less. Which brings us into our next point....

New OP update! Talk about... just plain weird. Dustox finally gets placed into the picture (for whatever stupid reason they kept it out before, I do not know). And also, some Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon advertising. That actually looks like a fun game. What this signifies to me is that they (they being the Pokemon Company and all other related companies) really want to get the message of these new Pokemon DS games out there, possibility to fill the void till D/P or whatever other reason.

I would've like to seen a new attack from Corphish, but oh well.

DarkWobbuffet
18th November 2005, 7:15 PM
I would've like to seen a new attack from Corphish, but oh well.

Yeah, and instead that blasted Zenigame learns Rapid Spin. >>;

Jees, is it just me, does it seem that the fates have decided Satoshi's meant to either lose or unfinish every trainer battle he's in? O_o I could tell from that look on his face after his battle with Showers that he's getting pretty frustrated by it. I hope the people who keep saying the guy is perfect and wins every battle will shut up now. x_x

I'm a bit disappointed Hakuryuu didn't show up much in the episode, just in a flashback and for about 5 seconds near the end. I would have liked to see it blast of Rocketto Dan instead of that damn terapin.

The Big Al
18th November 2005, 7:23 PM
As I've said, Squirtle is showing up all the other Pokemon. It's worse than Togepie. And yes, Ash seems to be completely unable finish battles. I wish Team Rocket would buzz off and let him actually be a Pokemon trainer.

JazzJazz
18th November 2005, 8:04 PM
Jees, is it just me, does it seem that the fates have decided Satoshi's meant to either lose or unfinish every trainer battle he's in? O_o I could tell from that look on his face after his battle with Showers that he's getting pretty frustrated by it. I hope the people who keep saying the guy is perfect and wins every battle will shut up now. x_x

He might win every battle, but we'll never know... at least he gets to finish his important bouts (i.e. against the Frontier Brains).

I'm a bit disappointed Hakuryuu didn't show up much in the episode, just in a flashback and for about 5 seconds near the end.

So... the lake was named after it and that's all?

Korobooshi Kojiro
18th November 2005, 9:03 PM
Seen the pics:

-Volt Tackle, cool!

-Good to see Marshstomp doing something.

-So, what was the bald guy doing.

-Good to see the Crawdaunt wasn't a heartless villian.

-This is Barboach's first appearance, correct?

The Big Al
18th November 2005, 9:05 PM
Well, Barboach was going to be in the Earthquake episode but yeah, this the first time we've seen it.

Blaziken master
18th November 2005, 9:12 PM
Seen the pics:

-Volt Tackle, cool!

-Good to see Marshstomp doing something.

-So, what was the bald guy doing.

-Good to see the Crawdaunt wasn't a heartless villian.

-This is Barboach's first appearance, correct?

It appeared in the first Sootopliss city gym episode. I think the bald guy got saved by a dragonair and wanted to meet it again

CyberCubed
18th November 2005, 9:15 PM
Barboach appeared way back in Sootopolis.

The Big Al
18th November 2005, 9:33 PM
It did? Well put me in a suit and call me Bush.

Still, I was hoping for more from Dragonair. And less from the evil turtle.

skarmachild
18th November 2005, 9:35 PM
Awesome Dustox is finally in an intro... i think this is the first time but why is Chimecho still there? =O

Yeh, why is Manene and Chimecho in there? He probably gets it back so he can have 3 Pokémon, just like Jesse has 3.

ChaosMage
18th November 2005, 9:50 PM
OK... we know that Ash is NOT against having a Crawdaunt, because he instantly tried to catch one! (I know, he seemed keen on having Quilava and Feraligatr too). Corphish screentime is really cool, and seeing Crawdaunt battle just makes me want one in the main cast. And it looks really cool when it's with a good character. Corphish would rock if it evolved, and it's a shame that it's not going to happen.

Komedic Konservationist
18th November 2005, 9:56 PM
OK... we know that Ash is NOT against having a Crawdaunt, because he instantly tried to catch one! (I know, he seemed keen on having Quilava and Feraligatr too). Corphish screentime is really cool, and seeing Crawdaunt battle just makes me want one in the main cast. And it looks really cool when it's with a good character. Corphish would rock if it evolved, and it's a shame that it's not going to happen.
Shame? Meh, I,m relieved Corpish didn't evolve. It would be disastreous for me if that kawaii crustacean got subjected to the fate of turning into a heinous technicolour demon-lobster. But that's just my opinion.

The Big Al
18th November 2005, 10:04 PM
Never use the k-word in my presence.

And I can picture Crawdaunt being cute, especially with Corphish's goffy personality.

Gravy
18th November 2005, 10:08 PM
I wasn't really too fond of this episode for some reason. I mean, the fighting was ok and it was nice to see a CG attack that actually looks pretty decent (Acid Armour) but there was something lacking. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but it wasn't there, thats for sure~
Pretty bogus that Dragonair only appeared for a few measley seconds near the end. I wasn't expecting it to get much screentime in the first place, but damn.

Speaking of screentime, I kind of surprised at the amount of focus Haruka's Squirtle has been recieving as of late. But considering its going to be sticking around for quite a while, I'm glad its now finally managed to get a decent physical attack under its belt. Lets hope it gets put to good use~

Crawdaunt sounded a lot better than usual. I'm glad they opted for something other than the awful screeching that used to emit from its voice-box.
However I do wish Corphish could have actually finished it off, instead of just having Team Rocket come in and swipe it while it was weakened. It would have been a lot more satisfying to see Corphish take down its evolved form.

And why has Mud Shot suddenly become a multiple projectile attack? IIRC, during early Houen it was just one huge glob of mud that was shot at the opponent. Its just like another tired old Ember/Bubblebeam/Bullet Seed/Countless other attacks re-hash now. Bah I say. Bah.

JazzJazz
18th November 2005, 10:12 PM
And I can picture Crawdaunt being cute, especially with Corphish's goffy personality.

The writers and animators can usually inject their magical "cute" serum into any pokemon... even if they have been depicted as nasty in past episodes.

PDL
18th November 2005, 10:12 PM
I was kinda confused about the guy who owned Crawdaunt, what role did he play exactly? He got saved by a mysterous pokemon (who turned out to be Dragoniar) and he has a Crawdaunt that's being a jerk by living in the lake and mucking it up... did I get that right?

DKzM0mA
18th November 2005, 11:10 PM
I was kinda confused about the guy who owned Crawdaunt, what role did he play exactly? He got saved by a mysterous pokemon (who turned out to be Dragoniar) and he has a Crawdaunt that's being a jerk by living in the lake and mucking it up... did I get that right?

I think as a boy he almost drowned but dragonair saved him, and now he wants to find it again.

Team Rocket Admin
19th November 2005, 12:21 AM
Not a bad episode. Did anyone notice that the short white-haired guy looked like Mokuba from Yu-GAY-oh? YEAAAAAAAH, Charamander is actually in the intro, even though it probably won't be in the Anime. What's weird is that Chimecho is STILL in the starting, so this leads me to believe we are not yet done with it seeing how they updated the opening just NOW, and this would've been the perfect oppirtunity to edit it out.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
19th November 2005, 12:25 AM
I didn't really like the episode that much. It was only the last part where Dragonair appears what I liked and with that flashback. Atleast Marshtomp was in the episode.

JazzJazz
19th November 2005, 1:32 AM
What's weird is that Chimecho is STILL in the starting, so this leads me to believe we are not yet done with it seeing how they updated the opening just NOW, and this would've been the perfect oppirtunity to edit it out.

Indeed, you'd think that if they went to the trouble of taking manyula out they would've removed chimecho as well, curious.

Eternal Eievui
19th November 2005, 4:21 AM
I didn't see this asked anywhere (it may have been - it's late), but what was the song playing in the background when the old man was rescued by Dragonair called? It's really familiar and has been used somewhere else - I just can't remember where.

Geodude
19th November 2005, 5:18 AM
And why has Mud Shot suddenly become a multiple projectile attack?
Define "suddenly". Marshtomp used Mud Shot like that right from when it evolved. If you don't like it, complain in that episode's thread. -_-

Pikachu_Imatation
19th November 2005, 6:17 AM
I liked this episode. It was also nice to see Dragonair back in the anime series again.

JazzJazz
19th November 2005, 8:51 PM
I liked this episode. It was also nice to see Dragonair back in the anime series again.

Dragonair was barely featured. It would've been nice if had a little more to do in this episode, but oh well... I guess we have to take what we can get.

Sushi
19th November 2005, 9:53 PM
I didn't see this asked anywhere (it may have been - it's late), but what was the song playing in the background when the old man was rescued by Dragonair called? It's really familiar and has been used somewhere else - I just can't remember where.
That 'lalala~' thing? It was used in the fourth movie when all those Celebi appeared near the end.

Er, that episode was alright. The drawing-style wasn't as horrid as I thought it would be. I liked the characters' voices, especially the old woman's. And yay for the Regi music ~

It was good to see Corphish in battle again, and it made me happy to see it doing so well against its evolved form =D

vs. Vaporeon...It was a good battle itself, and Acid Armor looked great ^^ Though I must say, I'm pretty sick of those i-had-no-clue reactions of Ash. I understand that he forgot a few aspects of a good battling strategy during the battle, and I certainly wouldn't be complaining if the old woman just told him what he should be careful of in a battle, and he just responded by saying "Oh yeah, forgot about that" or something.

But what Ash had was a "OMG using the battlefield to your advantage?!?!11 Never heard of that strategy!!!" expression. Please -_- If you want Ash to look like an experienced trainer, at least take that goofy expression from his face when he's told something that he heard about ten thousand times already. Simply eliminate it. Well, at least the battle after that was believable and well thought-out.

Hey, the vs. TR scene was quite good. Liked the combination of attacks used when Squirtle rapid-spin'd their mecha for the second time. Speaking of TR, James looked hot today x_X I loved his outfit and hairdo.

As for something random, I liked the lake's color. It wasn't that bright blue they always use like in picture books for little children, which causes them to think that water is blue O_o

Well, overall this one had a good story and nice characters.

DarkWobbuffet
19th November 2005, 10:17 PM
But what Ash had was a "OMG using the battlefield to your advantage?!?!11 Never heard of that strategy!!!" expression.

Agreed one of the (many) major problems the writers have on this show is not keeping the characters consistant. Satoshi's seen plenty of trainers use the field to their advantage many times, one of the more note worthy ones being Nagi's strategy with Pelipper using Steel Wing on the ground to protect itself from electric attacks. The writers need to realize that it makes no sense for Satoshi to use great thought-out strategies in gym battles, then become a total n00b to battling when he goes up against regular trainers.

BrokenDreams
20th November 2005, 12:46 AM
I totally agree with you Juptile, but then again these are the writers what else can we expect from them.

The Big Al
20th November 2005, 2:38 AM
Ash has USED the field to his advatage before. Like Grovyle at Winona's Gym and on Drake's boat. Honestly, he's forgotten a strategy he used himself. Tell me Ash hasn't gotten brain damage from being zapped one too many times.

crawdauntpro
20th November 2005, 3:55 PM
It didn't evolve. Serebii has the pics up, and they definitively confirm what most of us already know. Or are you saying it might evolve soon. But not next episode, because we know what happens in that one.

Soon of course...LOL! I don't want my butt to be flamed already, ha ha!
But hopefully soon for a Corphy evo!

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
21st November 2005, 9:20 AM
I loved Corphish v Crawdaunt!
near the end when Crawdaunt looked happy could that be the end of the Crawdaunt sterio type team Aqua created?

Dragonair needed to be shown more, otherwise the title should have been something like 'The Green Lake of Crawdaunt'......

Yamato-san
21st November 2005, 8:07 PM
I could just picture Yamato-san getting ready to shoot himself if it is Hydro Pump. Still, the blasted terapin is as bad as that Paras way back when. One victory and suddenly it's a super hero.

Oh please, kill myself? Yeah right.

[***** a rifle and aims it forward.]

I'd just hunt me down a few writers.

[Sets the rifle down.]

Fortunately, that thing didn't learn Hydro P.... Waaaaait a minute!

[Picks up the rifle.]

This episode still displeases me.

[***** rifle again.]

How the f*** does that damn thing, which played like no role in the episode up to the Rocket Dan battle (unless you consider stopping to sniff a flower to be an important scene), suddenly becomes more of a hero against Rocket Dan than Heigani, a Pokemon that this episode mostly focused around and whom you'd expect to have more of a beef against Rocket Dan for kidnapping his opponent? And it gets off learning a new technique on top of it all.

[Sets rifle down.]

Lousy bas****s.... I'm letting them off this time since it only learned a rather weak technique in its natural movepool. Should it have pulled another very powerful TM out of its a**..... heh heh heh heeeeh, you do not wanna know what hells I'd unleash. It's also a bit relieving that Rocket Dan was defeated with a combination of Zenigame, Heigani, and Numacraw's attacks rather than just Zenigame. But, if learning a new technique is an indication that it's, once again, gonna appear in a contest soon, I'm gonna be p***ed.

I thought this episode would've been great simply for Hakuryuu making an appearance, but I was wrong. They shoved it to like 5 seconds near the end, in somewhat of a rehash of the Safari Zone warden's plot no less (a dragon that the filler character recognizes as a child rescues someone from drowning). And are you guys serious? Satoshi was trying to learn about using the field to his advantage? OK, I'm also getting sick of this crap being done to Satoshi during some fillers. Speaking of Satoshi looking like a n00b, did anyone else find it a little off that he sends Heigani against its evolved form, and his strategy only consisted of countering the opponent using the same attack as them? Considering how much more powerful the evolution would be expected to be, you'd think Satoshi would come up with a more clever plan to take it down, wouldn't you?

I wasn't really too fond of this episode for some reason. I mean, the fighting was ok and it was nice to see a CG attack that actually looks pretty decent (Acid Armour) but there was something lacking. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but it wasn't there, thats for sure~

You thought Acid Armor looked good too, eh?

Speaking of the Showers that used Acid Armor, I found it a bit interesting how they gave it a trait to walk on water (isn't there an entry mentioning something like that in one of the games?). However.... did anyone notice that Scissoriger was standing on the water surface at some point? What the hell, did all water-types suddenly gain this ability, or is it still a trait exclusive to Showers and someone just made an error with Scissoriger?

The Big Al
21st November 2005, 8:33 PM
I forgot about Corphish. The little guy, upstaged by a uber n00b. I swear. The writer who developed May should have been fired for making such a spotlight hogging ditz who seems to have everything go her way.

BrokenDreams
21st November 2005, 10:01 PM
You got that right, Big Al. I just can't stand the way Haruka got everything way to easy. They shoul have the mutant turtle into a turtle soup when Haruka first got it, then poisoned Haruka and bury her. Just Kidding about Haruka, but I do hate the that mutant squirtle.

vaporeon89
21st November 2005, 10:17 PM
Vaporeon didn't use Acid Armor, it only transformed itself into water

;134;89

Gravy
21st November 2005, 10:27 PM
Vaporeon didn't use Acid Armor, it only transformed itself into water

;134;89

It's trainer quite clearly commanded it to use 'Tokeru'. Which is of course, the original name for Acid Armour.

MidnightScott
22nd November 2005, 4:41 AM
This episode was a little boring. Who would of thought Ash would use Corphish against Crawdaunt and whoever thought it would evolve is psycho >_>

Anyway - this was just too boring IMO.

All I can say is that I'm glad Dragonair finally got to appear in an episode again and that I liked the Mysterious Dungeon part of the Opening.

~Scott;229;

Joe_Pokemon20000
22nd November 2005, 4:50 AM
I'll wait for it in a Mawile, don't you think? Anyway, 30 is the best score.

Pokemon Fan
22nd November 2005, 5:46 PM
I'd get confirmation on Satoshi's actual words before condemning the writers for having him be naive about using the battlefield to one's advantage. More often than not the times he's seemed to have forgotten something important it is only because of bad dubbing, while the original made more sense. Therefore I will await what was really said.

One question though, what was with the Dragonair rescuing scenes? Why did the old woman go down to help both times? There just didn't seem to be much point to her being down there.

And why did the old man think that chasing away other Pokemon would cause Dragonair to appear?

I really don't get the Squirtle hate here. It uses a fairly weak move (did it really say in the episode it just learned it, or was this just the first time it was used? ) that fails to stop TR, thus showing a still has a good deal of growing to do. Then it, Marshstomp and Corphish make a cool combo to deal a more powerful blow. Corphish is still the star of the episode.

The Big Al
22nd November 2005, 7:02 PM
But Corphish should have been the one to do a Superman through TR's mech. Instead it's the blasted turtle. It should just disappear for a dozen episodes or more because I've about had it (which is saying a lot because Squirtle is one of my favorite Pokemon lines). And as Yamato-san said, it's a sign that evil terapin will one again darken a contest battle with its presence.

Yamato-san
23rd November 2005, 8:26 PM
there's also the fact that Zenigame was the one who consulted Heigani about the idea of hurling it up to Rocket Dan. Yup, just eeeeeverything is that turtle's doing. Like The Big Al said, aside from hating Zenigame due to previous incidents involving it, it p***es us all off that it suddenly started to turn into the big, show-offey hero and upstage everyone, despite the episode not having any previous focus towards it.

Heracross
24th November 2005, 5:00 AM
Not a bad episode if I do say so. I'm still annoyed at the writers for making these titles sound so damn much like they're referring to the first season, but that has nothing to do with the episode itself, so... yeah.

Anyway, yay for Heigani. Aside from Heracross, and maybe Fushigidane, he's probably my favorite of Satoshi's pokémon, so it was great to see him get some decent spotlight. On the flip side, I wish Zenigame would just die already.

It's pretty cool to see Hakuryuu again, since iirc the last time it was featured was all the way back in the Fusube Gym arc. And I thought the use of music from the fourth movie was nice.

Oh yeah, and I loved Kojirou's disguise. :3

phoenix12
24th November 2005, 4:46 PM
I also don't completely see the reasoning behind all this Squritle-hate going on...it's a little random that it came outta nowhere this episode and stole the spotlight during the TR battle, but Corphish still got the focus for the entire rest of the episode...the episode was very water Pokemon based in general (Crawdaunt, Vaporeon, Marshtomp, Corphish, all the wild water Poke cameos..and hell, "Lake" was in the title), so Squirtle going all heroic wasn't totally uncalled for

I'm glad to see Squirtle learning more attacks and growing useful...when May first got it I was afraid it would remain all weak and crybaby-ish all season, but no, May's training it to become a decent fighter and formidable contest Pokemon....playing hero this time around and offering a useful attack suggestion against TR should gain it some respect among the other Pokemon and the viewing audience, for that matter

...but yea, Marshtomp showing up was definitely a highlight for me here...I was def terrified that thing would stay in its Pokeball forever once it evolved (a la Brock's Ludicolo...which had maybe 2-3 post-evolution appearances)

Heracross
25th November 2005, 2:49 AM
The thing is Haruka hasn't done any real training with it at all. She's used it in two battles prior to this episode (three if you count it pulling ice beam out of its *** and blasting off the Rocket-dan). Now, if she had actually spent time with it developing its attacks and really training it, as Satoshi did with Yukiwarashi, then I wouldn't mind as much. It's the fact that it just pulls this crap out of nowhere that irritates me.

Pokemon Fan
25th November 2005, 3:13 PM
The thing is Haruka hasn't done any real training with it at all. She's used it in two battles prior to this episode (three if you count it pulling ice beam out of its *** and blasting off the Rocket-dan). Now, if she had actually spent time with it developing its attacks and really training it, as Satoshi did with Yukiwarashi, then I wouldn't mind as much. It's the fact that it just pulls this crap out of nowhere that irritates me.
But do we really know that she hasn't been training it? All that would be required would for her to utter one brief line in an episode where she mentions how hard she's been training with Squirtle and that would be enough. But since we don't know the Japanese episodes line for line that is rather hard to do.

Heck, it would look like her Bulbasaur learned Petal Dance in one day if she hadn't mentioned she had been training it to learn the move for a while.

Heracross
25th November 2005, 8:26 PM
Certainly if that was the case one of the members familliar with Japanese would have pointed it out by now.

Riva
12th January 2006, 2:40 PM
Sorry, I know this is over a month old, but I finally realized they still had this section last Sunday.

I love this episode and there are some thingsI wanna ask and point out;

Questions;
1. Is the Crawdaunt wild and captured later by the bussinessman or belong to him from the start?

2. If it's wild from the start, does that mean Corphish were brought into Kanto (I know >.< dumb question)?

3. What did TR wanna steal? My guess was Crawdaunt.

4. Why did Crawdaunt get scanned again?

Observations;
1. Crawdaunt and Corphish aren't that much different in size.

2. It seems Crawdaunt is always cast as an enforcer for someone.

Ashy Boy
18th June 2006, 7:12 PM
What was the name of the girl that Brock flirted?

Dreamcoat
18th June 2006, 8:14 PM
Questions;
1. Is the Crawdaunt wild and captured later by the bussinessman or belong to him from the start?

2. If it's wild from the start, does that mean Corphish were brought into Kanto (I know >.< dumb question)?

3. What did TR wanna steal? My guess was Crawdaunt.

4. Why did Crawdaunt get scanned again?

1. It's captured.

3. Most likely Crawdaunt.

4. Silly question :/

dragonair_king
11th July 2006, 12:32 AM
This should be a good episode.Im not just saying that because of my username ^^.

Yamato-san
11th July 2006, 1:10 AM
This should be a good episode.Im not just saying that because of my username ^^.

um... I suggest reading through this thread, first. Hakuryuu only showed up at the very end, and its storyline was pretty much a rehash of the Safari Zone episode. To make things worse, Haruka's Zenigame killed this episode by stealing Heigani's chance to shine. Hakuryuu may be my favorite Pokemon as well, but even its presence couldn't save this episode from sucking.

WaterDragon trainer
30th September 2006, 2:24 PM
Just saw this in the US. This episode was cool. Corphish has a terrible new voice. Don't remember Ash's Corphish knowing Vicegrip. That salesman was very annoying. It was awesome to see Dragonair again.

TheBuddyBud
30th September 2006, 2:59 PM
oh my goodness
corphish has a terrible voice
i almost cried
hearing its voice

C.J. Ray
30th September 2006, 3:07 PM
Oh. My. God.

CORPHISH, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU? YOU WENT THROUGH PUBERTY! :o

I never hated any of the new voices before, but now I do. My God, forgive me for violating the 3rd commandment, Lord...but I swear that the VA isn't even trying to mimic the awesome voice 4-Kids gave the crawfish Pokemon.

"Corphish cor!"

Other than that, this was a nice episode. Ash was able to nearly win(before TR interrupted, as usual) using the stuff learned from Gillia's battle with the Vaporeon(which hasn't shown up since, I dunno, Sakura's sisters in Ecruteak City?). This sort of proves that Corphish ain't evolving - he's like Pikachu and Tyson's Meowth, wanting to show that evolution isn't always the way to gain power.

Loved the Dragonair. Yeah, we've not seen the middle Dragonite evolution for a while(I love Dragonair more than Dragonite), but hey, those are rare birds. Why should we flood the anime with them?

Mandi.
30th September 2006, 3:29 PM
I really enjoyed this episode. I loved when Dragonair showed up, that thing is so beautiful.

I also think Corphish's voice was a little...weird. Yeah, I didn't like it much. But who really cares. Not a big deal.

Samayowa
1st October 2006, 2:53 AM
To put it simple......
Filler, and a boring one at that.

Pika Hikari KT
1st October 2006, 6:33 AM
Not that much of a filler--Squirtle learned Rapid Spin.^^;

Don't remember Ash's Corphish knowing Vicegrip.
It's known Vice Grip since before it was caught!>_<

I loved when Dragonair showed up, that thing is so beautiful.
Agreed--it's such a pretty Pokémon. We haven't seen Dragonair since Johto, so this was a treat even though it didn't show til the end(and of course, this was 85% filler).

Ashy Boy
1st October 2006, 10:47 AM
I just watched the dub version and Corphish's new voice wasn't too horrible, although I do miss the 4kids voice. The episode in general was OK.

Leon Phelps
1st October 2006, 2:28 PM
This filler was pretty average. I couldn't tell if Corphish got any development and they stuck to a recycled plot. I'm sure they've done this before. Rich guy wants to buy nostalgiac property...

Waiting 2 Evolve
1st October 2006, 4:00 PM
I thought, in general, the main voices were good - with the exception of Ash, who I still say has no emotion, especially in the battle scenes. Why is that such a problem? The actual voice I'm getting used to, although I don't really like it, but where are the acting skills? That's what it's all about, or should be.

And the extra voices were good, too, especially in Olden Pond.

darza77
1st October 2006, 8:27 PM
boring filler episode, i cant tell who had a worse voice ash or corphish

Darkness Angel
2nd October 2006, 2:40 AM
was slightly boring for my taste.

NewBrock
2nd October 2006, 4:23 AM
I really enjoyed this episode. I loved when Dragonair showed up, that thing is so beautiful.

I also think Corphish's voice was a little...weird. Yeah, I didn't like it much. But who really cares. Not a big deal.

Can anybody explain what it is exactly that is wrong with the new Corphish voice? I see a lot of unhappy fans here, but I'm not quite sure what the exact issue is. What did the VA for Corphish do wrong?

S.Suikun
2nd October 2006, 4:29 AM
The voice was too deep. It needed to be higher and coarser. (While I didn't like a lot of 4Kids' dub voices for some of the Pokemon, I thought Corphish's was well-done.)

LexSuicune
2nd October 2006, 4:54 AM
WTF this episode screams Corphish evolution all the way...sigh Ok nevermind it was a wasted opportunity and Corphish got his *** Oaked ´till next two years at least...
Nevermind.

maddiejoan
2nd October 2006, 4:54 AM
Can anybody explain what it is exactly that is wrong with the new Corphish voice? I see a lot of unhappy fans here, but I'm not quite sure what the exact issue is. What did the VA for Corphish do wrong?

I gave Corphish a spanish accent (believe it or not)

Ya have to trill the r in corphish and almost say "Cor-Feesh"

also Bubble beam is

Cor Phish Phish Phish Phish Phish Phish.

The Corphish character is an interesting one --he's very very stubborn and somewhat neurotic.

Pitch the voice higher and try to gargle when you talk.

Medea
2nd October 2006, 11:55 AM
Okay, saw it last night (since I missed it the day before courtesy of work) and I'm still kicking myself that I saw it. One of the most boring fillers since It's Mr. Mime Time. To be honest, last night, I kept switching the channels between this and Celebrity Fit Club :p. But I will say this, that big bald man (can't remember his name right now) he kinda reminded me of that sleazy bald guy from The Screen Actor's Guilt.

wobbanut
5th October 2006, 4:42 AM
Well, at least I can finally come and review this past Saturday's episodes after severe storms that left our house without power for 30 hours the last two days. I didn't fret about lack of internet access, but not having working toilets was a PAIN.

Anyway, this episode was good. I liked that the guest villain of the day for once was the one who had the turnaround (usually it's just the normal person who's just stubborn or misguided), and I liked the appearance of the dragonair. It was also pretty funny when Ash fell asleep while trying to let fishing relax him. I can only imagine what Misty's reaction would have been. LOL (I was just watching "The Totodile Duel" not long ago either where he complained about fishing.) Otherwise, there wasn't too much that was memorable about the episode. At least I'm still okay on the new voices, they didn't bug me this week.

Overall, 6/10.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
16th October 2006, 2:20 PM
Personally, I didn't think much of this episode. Surely by now, if Ash is any kind of decent trainer and wants to get something done, you've gotta use type advantages. Fighting an evolved Corphish, with an unevolved one just seems plain stupid. Use Pikachu for goodness sake, or at least Grovyle!
Liked Squirtle's attack at the end, it looked very much like an Hydro Pump to me.
No problem with the VAs here.

Geodude
20th October 2006, 4:45 AM
I gave Corphish a spanish accent (believe it or not)
You did Corphish too? I never knew that.

Knight_Ram
15th December 2006, 2:40 AM
This episode was a really stupid filler. The only good thing was seeing that Dragonair. But other than that, it was a really boring episode. The episode would have been good if Ash's Corphish evolved. Would have been an exciting scene to see. 3/10

GreatLiver
27th December 2006, 6:57 PM
I agree that it would have been a great time for Corphish to evolve, but I think that it kinda made it look like Corphish doesn't want to evolve similarlly to how Pikachu doesn't want to evolve.

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:24 PM
It was a boring filler. Nothing but a bunch of stupid fish. lol

Rommath
21st February 2009, 2:08 AM
Boring episode. Nothing really noteworthy happened. Least Corphish got a nice bit of screen-time.

Blue Snover
9th March 2009, 3:00 PM
This filler was so boring, i turned it off half way through.

Littlemyuu
9th March 2009, 4:41 PM
It was kind of a boring episode =/
just a filler i guess...

(s.i.e)
9th March 2009, 7:52 PM
ash allways has to do the hard work again, it wasn't a very special episode but decent.

cg_25
29th May 2009, 6:36 PM
WHAT?!

This is the episode where they introduced special training!
lol

Surfer_Dude
26th October 2009, 9:50 AM
Vaporeon was really good with the acid armor.
It was awesome how it dissapeared out of nowhere.
Also, Crawdaunt vs Corphish was a good battle!

danparker
20th November 2009, 3:24 AM
I've seen this episode 3 years ago. It was okay. And Tiffany was interesting in this episode as well. Apart from the behavior of Mr. Saridakis and his Crawdaunt.

Lorde
20th November 2009, 3:26 AM
I liked how there were so many Water Pokemon in this episode. Why is Crawdaunt always the bad guy?

Seeing Dragonair reminded me of that banned Dratini episode too.

6/10

Ash-kid
12th December 2009, 12:11 PM
Great episode, and great battle between Crawdaunt and Corphish.
Corphish has learned much more about battles, i think it helped it in the future.
And i loved to see a Dragonair in the anime.

Willow's Tara
20th May 2010, 4:58 AM
Not a bad episode, it was nice seeing Crawdaunt, Vapereon and Dragonair in this episode.

Although that old guy just seemed a bit stupid, how did he think he got out of the water? Did he think a portal opened or some fairies magically took him there, it seems stupid to try and destroy the lake though.

Painkiller2001
26th November 2010, 1:29 AM
I think this was the first time I have ever seen a Dragonair in the anime before.

Did Mr. Saridakis's voice sound similar to the the narrator's voice to anyone else? Or was it just me?

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 10:10 AM
This episode showed the toughness of Crawdaunt.... It is a rogue pokemon and suited with his trainer as well

G50
26th April 2011, 2:49 AM
This episode was ok... That wild Crawdaunt was definitely a major troublemaker in this episode. It was cool to see a Dragonair again. It was cool to see Squirtle learning Rapid Spin. It was cool to see a Barboach for the 1st time in a long time. Unfortunately for me Dragonair didn't have enough screentime, only showed up for a short time in this episode. It was great seeing Corphish battling Crawdaunt, even though it was interrupted. It was cool to see Vaporeon using its Acid Armor attack, it's been awhile since that attack has been shown.

21/100

Vernikova
6th September 2012, 7:14 PM
It was a boring episode. To be honest, I would've rather seen the girl battle instead of Ash but whatever. It probably wouldn't have saved this episode anyway.

The Power of Pika
4th May 2013, 3:22 AM
I just rewatched An olden pond today.

An olden pond is okay. Nothing really special though I did like the James and his leisure land speech turning into I want more food.XP

I also liked the whole past stuff of Saridakis and the Dragonair.

I do find it amusing that everyone didn't recognise Meowth even though the only thing he had on was sunglasses.=P

It was an alright episode anyway.

PokemonNation2000
13th June 2013, 5:36 AM
Mr. Sarkidarkis was indeed Rodger Parsons. That much I'm certain of.

That being said, it was an okay effort by TPCi to me.

Ash's voice sounded almost robotic and artificial to me, as it were, Brock's voice was really mediocre, etc.

Jessie: "We don't cackle...we emote!"

Oh, the irony.

Dub: 65/100

Dawn+Serena Fan
27th June 2013, 7:40 PM
This was a boring, but okay episode. The battle was a little interesting.

PokemontrainerY
24th July 2013, 1:03 PM
This was an ok episode. Tiffany was an interesting character, but Mr. Saridakis and his Crawdaunt were jerks in this episode.
I liked how May's Squirtle learned Rapid Spin, it can help her in contests.
The battle between Corphish and Crawdaunt was getting good, but sadly it was interrupted. :( It's cool to see a Dragonair again, it reminded me of the Dragonair from "The Lengend of Dratini".