PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Shoots Selves in Foot

Chris
18th November 2005, 1:55 AM
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000670068505/

Over at the Nintendo Forums a moderator has posted the following:

You are not permitted to share your NWC id or friend code on a post, in your profile, through PM, or in a sig. Please do not discuss other ways of sharing codes either. This policy was created by Nintendo of America and we have been asked to follow these rules.

This is a radically different tact than Microsoft’s gamertag integration, where they encourage Live users to congregate on My Xbox. In fact, most people want Nintendo’s Wi-Fi Connection service to include more features like matchmaking and friend tracking.

So basically, Nintendo doesn't want ANYONE sharing their friend codes on their forums at all. This includes posts, PMs, sigs and profiles. No explanation has been given as to WHY they're making such a ridiculous rule on their own forums considering you'd figure they'd encourage people to connect through Wi-Fi for Mario Kart. Why else would they make it available, no? I'd understand if they didn't want people spamming their codes in posts and topics, but going as far as to not allow them in PMs and sigs and profiles is absolutely ridiculous.

Any thoughts?

Mequuh
18th November 2005, 2:07 AM
Thats wack. Well, if they only wan you playing with people around you why create freinds codes at all? I mean, if they know you IRL then you can use LAN.. Kinda dumb...

Bu†cH
18th November 2005, 2:12 AM
People sure are getting stupider every day.

Why don't they want us to share our codes!?

S.Suikun
18th November 2005, 2:16 AM
Many people misread the post, so to clarify, that rule only applies to their forum. We can still share codes here and other non-Nintendo.com sites. I suppose they want to prevent clutter on their forum. Either that or some wack policy I don't understand.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
18th November 2005, 2:17 AM
What the..

Ok that is totally messed. But that rule only goes for their site right? I mean what is the point of going online then?

Mequuh
18th November 2005, 2:19 AM
I know its only their... Still think it's wack though.

Blues
18th November 2005, 2:27 AM
What the hell? That's just stupid, not even being able to share them in PMs or sigs? Nintendo's foot is sure bleeding right now...

PDL
18th November 2005, 3:34 AM
wouldn't it be easier to share codes off their fourms, say on MSN or whatever?

Chris
18th November 2005, 3:34 AM
Again, this rule applies to THEIR forums. But even so, it's ridiculous that they wouldn't allow it yet Microsoft fully supports sharing Xbox Live gametags on their own forums. As I said, there's no logical reason for not allowing them in sigs or PMs.

Bayleef
18th November 2005, 4:14 AM
That is completey insane. It's as thought they have made some deranged assumption that we only ever need to share friend codes with those we are in direct contact with. I just have to say: newsflash, most people have online friends whom they would love to play against. =/ Basically, what I would be better off saying is that this Wi-Fi system of theirs is too limited and "secure" for my full liking.

GoldenLatias416
18th November 2005, 6:04 AM
First off, that's just gay because its not like you can find and track that person down with it. The only thing you do is battle people...is that really that bad. well...my code is 35268 15486...yeah right...jk. What are they gonna do if say...another forums posts them...NOTHING!! point taken, get over...people share your codes.

Eszett
18th November 2005, 6:15 AM
First off, that's just gaySilence, homophobe.

Why wouldn't they facilitate the proliferation of their own technologies? Someone up in higher management ought to be fired, for sure; I can't rationalize what else would cause Nintendo to adopt such a policy. Goodness, they've given a new meaning to the word "proprietary"...

indigestible_wad
18th November 2005, 6:27 AM
Not only is that the stupidest idea someone could come up with, but how are they going to enforce this rule? They can hardly make people stop through PMs and there are always those idiots who will break the rules right in front of the mods faces.

And what about different methods of sharing? Like IM or another forum? But I supposes they have no control over stuff like that. Which brings me back to the how are you going to stop people from doing it? I suppose that it's all for safety, but it won't work.

MidnightScott
18th November 2005, 6:52 AM
They don't want to be accused of people's games being messed with by some unknown force like a hacker. Being online makes you susceptible to hacking - thats probably one of their main reasons for disallowing it.

They don't wanna take the blame for people's games being hacked into...

~Scott;229;

Chris
18th November 2005, 6:40 PM
Which is stupid considering they're ADVERTISING the game to be Wi-Fi compatible and clearly saying Nintendo and McDonalds are working together to have hot spots in Nintendo. o_O If they didn't want friend codes, they shouldn't have made it available.

Brinstar
18th November 2005, 7:13 PM
Nintendo wants you to use the friends codes with friends you actually know in person. They've already stated this. If you want to play with someone you know online, simply IM them, it's not that hard. They're not "shooting themselves in the foot". It's not hard at all to bypass a simple forum rule o_O;

Powerage
18th November 2005, 7:34 PM
Silence, homophobe.

I hope you realize that "gay" is less a word for homosexual and more just a way to say you think something is stupid. He probably doesn't even mean anything by it.

Chris
18th November 2005, 8:15 PM
Even so, the term's not allowed here. ;\

smiley.
18th November 2005, 8:39 PM
With that rule people will be shooting straight off the the first result for mario kart ds forums on google etc.
That is a stupid rule, oh well, at least we can still share them here.

RedStarWarrior
20th November 2005, 11:46 PM
It is for insurance reasons. With all the pointless lawsuits nowadays, who know what might happen?

Controller of Flames
20th November 2005, 11:52 PM
Wait, how are they going to tell if they tell the codes to PM's (unless a person fowards the message), are they watching PM's? They are called private messages for a reason :P

Fox
21st November 2005, 2:40 AM
I believe Nintendo is just trying to prevent something like.

Person A tells code via Nintendo Forums.

Person B reads and either hacks into it or uses it to 'get to know' the person better.

Person A likes playing Person B.

Person B tries to meet Person A.

Something happens to Person A.

Nintendo gets blamed.

Video games geet blamed.

etc etc

The odds of that are slim, but its better to have a safety net.. one of those incase ___ happens things. Nintendo's just protecting their own butt incase someone decides to take advantage of the system. Afterall, if Ninty gets sued or something, who's to say there'll be a N Wi-fi anymore.

kaibachaoschampion
21st November 2005, 8:41 PM
That completely would ruin the fun of the game being online. I mean if they only want me to play against my friends that I know offline then I would just go round their houses. It also the entire reason I am deciding to buy it. Normally with a Mario Kart game I would play my brothers copy. But this time ever since the SNES I am going to purchase a Mario Kart title. So to be honest I don't think that anyone should listen to this rule, its pathetic. Normally I obey everything, so unless they take away friend codes it won't stop me when I get the game UK release. Nintendo with Mario appear to be getting worse and worse, do we really need 7 Mario Parties. Don't get me wrong Nintendo make great games, but if they don't want friend codes in the game then they should re-release it and add Offline version to the title, wouldn't make much difference to me unless they held something like a Championship or something if there was no friends codes. But even then pointless it would be, I mean we would have a nameless Champion. Nintendo had better realise what they are doing here.

Chris
21st November 2005, 9:35 PM

Person B reads and either hacks into it or uses it to 'get to know' the person better.

Nintendo gets blamed.

Video games geet blamed.

etc etc

The odds of that are slim, but its better to have a safety net.. one of those incase ___ happens things. Nintendo's just protecting their own butt incase someone decides to take advantage of the system. Afterall, if Ninty gets sued or something, who's to say there'll be a N Wi-fi anymore.
However, this is also where parents are to blame for not knowing about what their kids are doing. ;\ How many times has it been where something happens to a kid because of a parent's lack of responsibility and they completely blame something/someone else.

If I ever had kids, I'd make sure that I know everything. Where they're going, who they're going with, what time they're going and when they'll be back. Not to mention, unless my kid(s) is/are 16, no way in hell I'd let them go out without parental or adult supervision.

I seriously do not understand why NO ONE asks what parents were doing when these things are brought up in lawsuits. :|

Medical Meccanica
21st November 2005, 9:46 PM
It's just one of those anti-lawsuit things, like "Do not use hands or genitals to shop this machine". It's not too stupid... there's always Im and RL friends.

kaibachaoschampion
21st November 2005, 10:10 PM
If I ever had kids, I'd make sure that I know everything. Where they're going, who they're going with, what time they're going and when they'll be back. Not to mention, unless my kid(s) is/are 16, no way in hell I'd let them go out without parental or adult supervision.

I seriously do not understand why NO ONE asks what parents were doing when these things are brought up in lawsuits. :|

Yes, but there is the factor of lying. There are a lot of kids that do that. So I wouldn't be so sure that you'd know.

Chris
21st November 2005, 10:17 PM
As I said, parents should be supervising their kids. Hell, if I had kids and they told me another adult was going to be there, I'd call up to make sure. ;\ Again, not difficult. Parents just need to be thorough instead of being so damn lazy.

Slypher
22nd November 2005, 2:21 AM

Nintendo gets blamed.

Video games geet blamed.

etc etc

However Nintendo can't get sued, if that was true then why haven't I seen lawsuit that actually won against AOL aim or Xbox Live? It's way more possible for a sexual predator to get to a child in those then you can with the Wi-Fi DS, you can't even communicate in it. All Nintendo needs to do is put a disclamier on the WiFi and they will be released from all lawsuits from that.

Good thing it's only for their forum. Nintendo is just paranoid.

Chris
22nd November 2005, 5:07 AM
However, you can speak in Animal Crossing for the DS. But as I said, parents just need to be aware of what their kids are doing.

kaibachaoschampion
22nd November 2005, 7:22 PM
However Nintendo can't get sued, if that was true then why haven't I seen lawsuit that actually won against AOL aim or Xbox Live? It's way more possible for a sexual predator to get to a child in those then you can with the Wi-Fi DS

I agree, the XBox live is the worst for those type of things, someone I played at Halo 2 Live was at the UK Animé convention. Lets not forget the Deoxys event either at least in the UK, I remember that a lot of people met people from these forums, i'm not saying any offenders come here but with things like events for games they could still try and blame games, at least Jack Thompson would.

Smile Guy
22nd November 2005, 8:16 PM
"I know, let's not fully support our own idea."
'_' Yeesh. Seems strange. And yes I know it's only their forum.

~Shining-Metagross~
22nd November 2005, 8:43 PM
Its the kids that need to use common sense. I mean, I was allowed to go to the Deoxys event, thier and back, on my own. This is from Portsmouth to Just outside London. But I know how to take care of myself, not to talk to strangers, yeda yada.

Its the same with Wi-fi. If I am playing Ac online, and someone starts to be horrible/pervertid, or asks to meet, I would go with a big fat NO. It just uses the brain.

And anyway, anyone willing to pay £100+ just for sex must have something....wrong with them.

Flaming Torchic
22nd November 2005, 9:13 PM
However, this is also where parents are to blame for not knowing about what their kids are doing. ;\ How many times has it been where something happens to a kid because of a parent's lack of responsibility and they completely blame something/someone else.

But not everyone sees it that way, Ed. Despite some parents being irresponsible, even the most over-protective and responsible parents can be fooled (trust me, I know), and then it becomes Nintendo's fault.

Also, you wouldn't always know where they're going, and what they're doing. I mean heck, think of all the times that you kept some things hidden from your parents (and don't say you never have, because we all lie sometimes).

I mean, consider how many kids come to this forum without their parents permission (if they require it). After all, posting and making friend's on a message board is not much safer then playing with people on the internet.

Raize
13th December 2005, 2:44 AM
I can see why something like this is happening, though. If your child gets raped/kidnapped/etc., blame nintendo! It's similar to the GTA case, but the GTA case is something entirely different, but in the lines of "banning".

It's not like that'll stop people from exchanging friend codes, :p

Master Mewtwo
13th December 2005, 3:01 AM
Its a terrible idea, but people are probably find someway to get around it. I.e. email eachother outside of Nintendo.com.

Master Mewtwo

WinterSnowblind
13th December 2005, 9:32 AM
Frankly I can understand why they did this, for safety reasons. The kind of people kids could meet online and be convinced to "meet up with" is horrifying. But yeah, it kind of does ruin Nintendo's whole online system, especially if they do it the same way for the Revolution.. and they likely will.

But it doesn't really bother me anyway, I would never play any game with random people, I'll only ever play with people I actually know. Maybe I'm just really anti-social though?

Chris
13th December 2005, 9:53 AM
And yanno, it's not like you can't automatically choose who to let into your games. Considering with AC, you need to have someone registered in your Friend List in order for them to visit your town. Not to mention, they've added censors to the game, so you can't really say anything offensive to other players.

-Koumori-
13th December 2005, 8:01 PM
Its a terrible idea, but people are probably find someway to get around it. I.e. email eachother outside of Nintendo.com.

Master Mewtwo
Or use forums such as this. I don't see it as such a big deal - it may be a bit 'overprotective' on Nintendo's part, but it's not too hard to go to another forum, or e-mail/IM/PM a friend to trade the friend code and what not. Still, Edward Elric brought up a point seemingly forgotten by society. It's the parents responsibility to know what their kid is doing. So if their kid goes to meet some creepy predator, and they aren't suspicious, or they're too lazy to monitor what their kid is doing regularly, it's their own damn fault.

chinchao
17th December 2005, 4:21 AM
So if their kid goes to meet some creepy predator, and they aren't suspicious, or they're too lazy to monitor what their kid is doing regularly, it's their own d*** fault.
But that won't hold up in court. There was a man who drove a vehicle, set it in cruise, went to the backseat, poured coffee, and crashed. He then sued the car manufactuer for not including that in their advise of what not ot do. How much better would a trial with your example hold for Ninty? Fact of the matter is, they are not protecting anyone but themselves.

And yes, not all parents are that way, to the point where if there kid gets done, they will seek to sue no one but the raper, even if they can sue another. Nintendo. Nintendo is putting the blame off them.

kingboo30
17th December 2005, 4:35 PM
But that won't hold up in court. There was a man who drove a vehicle, set it in cruise, went to the backseat, poured coffee, and crashed. He then sued the car manufactuer for not including that in their advise of what not ot do. How much better would a trial with your example hold for Ninty? Fact of the matter is, they are not protecting anyone but themselves.

.....I'm satisfied. Everything can hold up in court. I could get on the railing on someones deck and "accidently" fall of and try to sue the person who owns the deck and win, despite the fact that I shouldn't be on their deck and on the railing in the first place.

The US's court is getting more and more screwed up. And the fact that you can't communicate on MK:DS, and for AC you only let your friends in unlike AOL and Xbox Live. I really hope the Super Smash Brothers online won't be like this and more like Xbox 360s free platnum service allowing you to chat and no lagginess which MK:DS fails. I had people jumping in the freaking sky and jig jag all over the place.

Deoxys Prime
6th January 2006, 1:07 PM
I'm an Nsider myself. I hate how this is. You can't even discuss how to trade codes. It's like saying, "Do not make any Wi-Fi buddies!!!! OMG! Or do not buy our game!!!!!" Something really stupid like that.