PDA

View Full Version : We Need a Restricted Forum

Magcargo
23rd November 2005, 9:43 PM
I'm sick and tired of idiotic topics and posts that we have to continually endure in the Debate Forums. Examples:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=96013
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=95882
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=94893
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=95543

We need to create a forum where a person can post only after passing some kind of post showing that they are not a *******. In the forum any stupid topics and posts would be automatically deleted. Otherwise we will continue to have serious discussions flooded by ******* remarks and topics.

Wolf Goddess
24th November 2005, 12:28 AM
Second'd. The debate should be about intelligent discussion. :/

Skrusti
24th November 2005, 12:37 AM
Thirded. I hate debating with idiots who can't tell their neck from their...well...leave it at that >.< I thought debates were supposed to be purely intellectual, but when we have topics like "Should Ant-killing be illeagal?"...it just ruins the purpose =/

Willow's Tara
24th November 2005, 12:39 AM
I agree, that Cannbilsm thread seems pretty stupid, Maverick really getting pwned in the Gay sterotyped one by all of the debaters. The ant killing one was really stupid, and there was one or two more. So yeah we do need good debaters, I don't, know if I would classifeld me as a good debater, you would have to ask someone else but there are others who are good debaters.

Orgasmo
24th November 2005, 12:50 AM
I'd like no debates about religion. Seeing as no-one will be persuaded either way makes the whole point redundant :/

Yes, for intelligent debates section.

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 12:52 AM
Well, I go to the debate forum sometimes, and rarely post, and really never check any rebuttals that are directed at me. (if there are any. >>; )
But yes, it tires me to no end to see such idiotic threads that really have no point. >>; It certainly tires me to see all of these that are directed at the Christian Religion that have no foothold on either side, and that are just duplicates of the many religious debate threads. But it seems as though it would be near impossible. There are many who qualify, but who's to tell? It would be too time consuming to test each forum member's brain cell capacity.

Ellie
24th November 2005, 1:04 AM
I rarely go into the Debate forum, but when I do, almost all the debates are stupid, or pretty much the same thing with a different title. It could be made that there is one thread stickied at the top of Misc. discussion, and you post there if you want to be allowed in, and the mods decide if you're intelligent enough to be let in. Of course, that could be pretty time-consuming, but IMO, it's worth it to get less unintelligent, repetitive debates.

Eszett
24th November 2005, 1:42 AM
I would severely enjoy it should such a proposition be manifested into reality. How I dream to see a Debate board not cluttered with pages of gay topics and unabashed idiots.

Chris
24th November 2005, 2:02 AM
Password protected would be nice. But you know some jackass is obviously going to leak it out. :|

Perhaps there would be some kind of list of people that the mods of Misc. Discussion feel are fine and should be allowed to enter a protected Debate section.

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 2:14 AM
As Chris said, the password system is indeed flawed. And it would be pointless to change it everyday, as that would take...>>; bulk PMing. But, nonetheless, that would get tiring. Perhaps set up another member group, with the exact same features as members, but have a slightly different permission mask? But, ofcourse, that would pile most of the work on Joe. Perhaps it's just best for now.

Orgasmo
24th November 2005, 2:18 AM
Perhaps set up another member group, with the exact same features as members, but have a slightly different permission mask? But, ofcourse, that would pile most of the work on Joe. Perhaps it's just best for now.What kinda like A.N.A.Ls Member + thing?

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 2:19 AM
I suppose. That could be what I'm trying to say.

Chris
24th November 2005, 2:19 AM
Wait. Don't we have some kinda thing with Fizzy Bubbles where people can't post unless they activate some sort of thing on their profiles? o_O Something similar to that would possibly work.

Orgasmo
24th November 2005, 2:20 AM
Wait. Don't we have some kinda thing with Fizzy Bubbles where people can't post unless they activate some sort of thing on their profiles? o_O Something similar to that would possibly work.Fizzy Bubbles? The hell.

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 2:21 AM
I'm not sure. That does indeed sound like a good idea, if there is infact such a thing on Fizzy Bubbles. I'm not exactly sure how it works, as I'm not a ... Bubbler. x.x

Eszett
24th November 2005, 2:22 AM
The only negative thing I could see resulting from this is people accusing Serebii of displaying favoritism towards certain people, then clamoring that they ought to be granted access to it as members of the site, forcing Serebii having to open it up to them/abolish the board due to complaints from parents. Hopefully that won't have to happen.

Anyways, I don't see the benefit password protection would give to this board. The user permissions to see the board could simply be granted on a per-user basis or a group could be formed.

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 2:24 AM
then there ought to be some type of quiz. Shouldn't risingconcepts.com have something that we can set up?

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 2:37 AM
Well, it would make sense if Joe made the quiz, seeing as he is the head administrator of the forum. He may not have a PhD, but how can anyone with intelligence argue with him making it? And it's most likely people who will not make it who would argue, anyway. But you still hold a point, Latios.

Eszett
24th November 2005, 2:41 AM
I would like for the test to be about debate protocol since I gather that most of the idiots in the Debate forum are the ones who aren't even properly debating. A pool of 40-50 questions should be devised, from which 10 would be randomly selected per test. Those who get at least a 7/10 on the test should be granted access to the secret debate forum, and a person should be allowed to re-take the test two times (with new questions selected). The test questions should be compiled by the mods of the Debate forum and anybody else they deem fit to compose said questions.

Luke Groundwalker
24th November 2005, 2:43 AM
How about there is a thing where someone has to be on SPPf for about 4/5/6 months and post 1000 (Or lower.) post to get on a certain part of a forum, like the Debate Forums? (Though Eszett's idea is a good idea too.) This will allow time for someone to be a good and active member on SPPf and it will allow them to mature a bit. *shrugs* It has worked for other forums I go to.

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 2:46 AM
post 1000? >>; I'd have to put a big fat "rejected" on that. lol
It would have to be more like 500-800 or something like that. I'm not even sure that I'm to 1,000 yet. I like the quiz idea better, I'm sorry to say. or, what about some type of validation?

Luke Groundwalker
24th November 2005, 2:55 AM
post 1000? >>; I'd have to put a big fat "rejected" on that. lol
It would have to be more like 500-800 or something like that. I'm not even sure that I'm to 1,000 yet. I like the quiz idea better, I'm sorry to say. or, what about some type of validation?
1000 post isn't a lot, at least where I come from....which is the Zelda Universe Forums. LOL! But I think it would be easier for it to be like that because members would PM mods constantlly to take a quiz to get into the restricted forums.

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 2:59 AM
You bring up a good point. Even if we were to make an announcement about the quiz, sticky it, and all of the like, members of the staff would constantly be hassled by new members who want to prove their maturity. We already have enough things that new members are asking about, and we certainly don't need anymore. Anyone got any ideas?

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 3:04 AM
I was considering that as well, Latios, but we could well just ban them from the restricted forum forever. 8D
>>;

tamayo
24th November 2005, 3:05 AM
That's a really good idea: Quiz them, but do not use the Post 1000 idea. They should get two chances to take it, then (If they pass above 80% or something) they can access the certain parts of the forum. However, if they were to fail, we would stamp Stupid n00b on their foreheads. I definitely agree with you mostly Eszett.

Oh, one more thing: the quiz should also test their ability to type complete words/ sentences.

Tamayo

Eszett
24th November 2005, 3:09 AM
Can't we set up some automated system under the guise of an account here? Someone could simply message it, get a reply with the randomly selected test questions, answer the quiz, then send it back to the bot, who would automatically send it to an answer repository which mods could check and review them and establish appropriate permissions when necessary. Forgive me if I'm thinking too wishfully here, but I just don't believe such a system would be very hard to implement (it needn't be implemented on the site, even, if that's too difficult to code).

PDL
24th November 2005, 3:09 AM
how about just PMing someone permission to access the restricted forum

it worked well for another fourm I go to (though the restricted forum in question was a mature forum, where 18+ stuff was posted, and it was alot smaller then this one)

the problems I see with this is because of the number of people on the fourm, the person who will grant access would be swamped with PMs asking for access.

if someone does get premission to the restricted forum and acts like an idiot, they get lose their restricted forum access... or get banned...

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 3:12 AM
The problem, though, Eszett, is that if we were to set up a bot, chances are that it would malfunction, and someone may attempt to hack it. I can name a few people who would jump at the chance to exploit it. <<;

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 3:16 AM
Ah, Latios, I see what you mean now. That is a darn good question, that I'm not able to answer.

Eszett
24th November 2005, 3:28 AM
I mentioned earlier that the questions should be compiled by the mods of the Debate forum (or the planned mods of the new Debate forum, which I imagine wouldn't be too different from the mods of the current forum). I would like to see the questions handle themselves about debate protocol (e.g. clarifying the distinctions between implicit atheism and explicit atheism, asking about logical fallacies, that sort of thing). PsiUmbreon does take a debate class, by the way; he should be able to confer about these things (forgive me, I'm not trying to put you on the spotlight, Psi, should you be reading this).

Also, in the database of questions, the general concepts for what answers are acceptable should be included along with the question.

Carpetted!
24th November 2005, 3:47 AM
Funny, I like interesting debates, not those cliche "why does god exist"/ "what's wrong with being gay" debates. You hardly have to think about things before replying, "there's no evidence" or "Nothing, it's a stereotype". The bad thing about original debate topics is that they're always flamed by weird people =/
EDIT: the topics you mention had these many posts:
That's a good amount of posts! Seems these 'idiotic topis' are just ones you come in with a narrow mind on.

Shining Mew
24th November 2005, 4:53 AM
post count =/= quality of thread.

a spam thread could get over 40 replies/few pages if there are no mods on and people are being stupid. does that make it worthy of staying open?

Carpetted!
24th November 2005, 5:01 AM
Well, no, but Macgargo is being remarkably prejudiced, as usual. He has a need to classify everything, and I think us idiots have every right to post in debate forums as long as we don't spam or anything. Besides, a restricted part of the forum is just another way to seperate us and to make whoever gets in feel like he/she's better. Not to mention mods who delete stupid topics and posts can be wrong sometimes.

PsiUmbreon
24th November 2005, 5:16 AM
I think we could use an organized debate forum. As fun as debating is, it'd be fun if there were judges and organization in the debate.

Dat Banned Guy
24th November 2005, 5:16 AM
Its a debate forum so there's no need for stupid posts in it - better than restrictions on posting, I think an idea would be to enforce stricter punishments for those that infringe upon the rules.

Carpetted!
24th November 2005, 5:18 AM
Why have stricter punishments? No one will post in the new debate forums if we just punish the harsher! I like the idea of organized debate a lot, though.

Slypher
24th November 2005, 6:18 AM
I have a suggestion, instead of that post count (PC=/=Intelligence), how about every person have only 5-10 post and are then review to see if the post were intelligent, good grammer, and just common sence that makes him/her valid to go into the debate forum (even if the poster may have opnions you may strongly disagree.) All people who just show horrible post shall be restricted from the debate forum, thus filtering out the stupid.

It's the best I could come up with, I seen this on another forum, so it may work here.

Wolf Goddess
24th November 2005, 6:56 AM
Rather than restricting people who go into the debate off the bat, would it be possible to somehow prevent them from coming in if they've already made bad posts there? Kind of like a ban, just not forum-wide.

Orgasmo
24th November 2005, 6:58 AM
Good idea. *Prays this happens*

Infinite Master Sceptile
24th November 2005, 11:23 AM
I think there should be much stricter rules in the Debate Forum, but I don't think it's really necessary to have a sectioned-off area only people who have passed a test can go to. It has too much potential to be abused.
I do think that hate speech in the Debate forum should be punished with banning. The only good test you could do would not be a test, but a questionnaire and grammar check. This survey thingy would weed out the racists, Nazis, xenophobes, homophobes, and people like Floored. Guh!

Xiang
24th November 2005, 2:05 PM
Well, the quiz sounds nice, but what if someone didn't pass and tried again? And again? Until they pass it?

And what would be on the quiz? Questions about the forum? Or things that require some attendance in school?

The whole idea of a restricted forum would sound convenient. No n00bs. Wow, if that were to happen, I would be dreaming. XP

Carpetted!
24th November 2005, 5:41 PM
No Floored! Agh!
But really, how about a debate where each side takes turns, and we get a vote at the end. That sounds more fun then shutting out the flamers/idiots. The flamers/idiots add flavor to the debates, and some of them bring up good points in the debates!

Serebii
24th November 2005, 5:50 PM
Ok...for this idea, here's my answer

No

We are not segregating the damned forums for christ's sake