PDA

View Full Version : In an attempt to stop rule breakers

Thriller
24th November 2005, 11:41 PM
I have noticed that rule breakers are getting out of hand (and Serebii could disagree with me, I don't care). Members have been uselessly bumping old threads like this http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=90848 just to post something off topic. Smilies are still being abused and etc.

What I think is that new members don't even bother to read the rules and they go and break a rule and give the "but I'm new" excuse. What I think should happen is that when I new member registers there must be something to MAKE SURE they read the rules. Like maybe something that will prevent registration unless they read ALL of them.

Please consider this Serebii.

Serebii
24th November 2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah I have been noticing this...it happens when it's the holidays though and it's an American holiday. It'll ease up

But theres no way of forcing people to read the rules

Torchic23
24th November 2005, 11:50 PM
No kidding.They could just blow off the rules and pretend that they read them.When I welcome a new member I try to tell them to read the rules

Locke Yggdrasill
24th November 2005, 11:59 PM
I think it's almost impossible. I'm not sure if there is an "applet"m in lack of a better term, that would make a person do so. I've always considered the possibility of one, so I just scroll down the box of ToS and Rules on each forum. =P

Orgasmo
25th November 2005, 12:02 AM
What's the date over there? Cause if it's still the 24th then technically that post wasn't breaking the rules :/
Nitpicking I know, but still...

Thriller
25th November 2005, 12:05 AM
What's the date over there? Cause if it's still the 24th then technically that post wasn't breaking the rules :/
Nitpicking I know, but still...

It was breaking the rules becaus #1: It bumped a month old topic and #2: the post was Spam anyway.

PhQnix
25th November 2005, 12:08 AM
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=96173

That was quick, now lets see if it makes a difference...

Orgasmo
25th November 2005, 12:09 AM
It was breaking the rules becaus #1: It bumped a month old topic and #2: the post was Spam anyway.Check the dates ;)
If it's still the 24th where Serebii is, then that first rule wasn't broken. I agree with the second one though.

Dragonfree
25th November 2005, 1:25 AM
Technically there is a way to make sure everybody reads the rules... just make some extra step needed in registration which is only explained in the rules. Unless people go and read them, they'll never be able to complete their registrations.

Tropical Spirit
25th November 2005, 1:28 AM
Though people could just pretend they read them. :\ But W/E. There's no way to force them to read the rules.

Weebos, Purveyor of Great Fun
25th November 2005, 2:27 AM
You could have them take a test
but then nobody would register
and it would be too much effort

Thriller
25th November 2005, 3:04 AM
Technically there is a way to make sure everybody reads the rules... just make some extra step needed in registration which is only explained in the rules. Unless people go and read them, they'll never be able to complete their registrations.

Thats basically what I was suggesting. Serebii said you can't do that though.

PokeProphet
25th November 2005, 1:24 PM
What if we included a sort of 'quiz' to the registration procedure, with a few questions about the rules? (eg. What do you need to do if you see a SPAM-post? or Suppose someone calls you a 'noob', what will you do?) Could make it multiple choice to make it easier to register the answers. And only people who get a certain percentage of the questions right get to register. That way, you can be sure that they know the rules, but it might cost you a lot of potential members. Then again, those members would probably be the less-motivated ones.

Alfonso
25th November 2005, 1:44 PM
You could have them take a test
but then nobody would register
and it would be too much effort

Too much effort?

Stop being so damn lazy. Is it hell 'too much effort'. It's a simple matter of someone checking the rules and then taking a very small test to ensure that they have checked them. If people do not want to take such a test by doing something they should do anyway, they don't deserve to be a member.

Magma Leader Maxie
25th November 2005, 6:00 PM

I'd have to disagree with this. Although it could help bring more order to posts, changing the actual file (I think it's register.php) might lead to all kinds of problems - it might slow or deny registration. I'm not an expert and I've never tried this so I don't know. Therefore, I think it's best to leave the registration as it is now. Also, this step might make this forum less popular, taking more of the user's time than is absolutely necessary. In this case, it's better not to prevent the rules being broken but to punish those who ignore them. New or not, it says on every page READ THE RULES, ad litteram. Look at the top of this one. It's hard to say that anyone "doesn't know" the rules seeing as they are relentlessly being smashed into our faces all the time since day one.

Alfonso
25th November 2005, 6:30 PM
I'd have to disagree with this. Although it could help bring more order to posts, changing the actual file (I think it's register.php) might lead to all kinds of problems - it might slow or deny registration. I'm not an expert and I've never tried this so I don't know. Therefore, I think it's best to leave the registration as it is now. Also, this step might make this forum less popular, taking more of the user's time than is absolutely necessary. In this case, it's better not to prevent the rules being broken but to punish those who ignore them. New or not, it says on every page READ THE RULES, ad litteram. Look at the top of this one. It's hard to say that anyone "doesn't know" the rules seeing as they are relentlessly being smashed into our faces all the time since day one.

The 'user's time'? Who the hell cares if, what, 1 minute of a person's time is wasted if it means people know the rules?

You're acting like this forum owes people a favor.

Magma Leader Maxie
25th November 2005, 6:53 PM
The 'user's time'? Who the hell cares if, what, 1 minute of a person's time is wasted if it means people know the rules?

You're acting like this forum owes people a favor.

Firstly, you seem to have inexhaustible energy and patience. Not everyone does. People want to do things like registration fast. Name one forum which conducts these kinds of operations. God, it sounds like some kind of containment procedure.

If this site owes someone a favor, all I know is that it isn't me. I'm not saying that those who come should receive "customer" treatment, but I honestly don't see the point of this quiz thing. With thousands of members, how do you think it possible to eradicate rule breaking? Some do read the rules, but are compelled to break them. Even if they were able to recite the rules perfectly, if they learned them off by heart, it will still be up to them whether they break them or not. Punishment may cause them to favour abiding by the rules in future.

Satoshi
25th November 2005, 7:32 PM
What if we included a sort of 'quiz' to the registration procedure, with a few questions about the rules? (eg. What do you need to do if you see a SPAM-post? or Suppose someone calls you a 'noob', what will you do?) Could make it multiple choice to make it easier to register the answers. And only people who get a certain percentage of the questions right get to register. That way, you can be sure that they know the rules, but it might cost you a lot of potential members. Then again, those members would probably be the less-motivated ones.
Yeah, but they'll just take it again until they got the right answers.

There's no way to force people to read the rules, this is a free forum and everyone deserves a right to join, whether or not they read the rules. What we *NEED* is to tell the newbies and/or members to use their f*cking common sense and read the rules when they do join.

Ilex
25th November 2005, 7:41 PM
You could install a pm stating them to read the rules as soon as they are registered. It wouldn't make them read the rules, but it would help.

Virtual Headache
25th November 2005, 8:08 PM
You could install a pm stating them to read the rules as soon as they are registered. It wouldn't make them read the rules, but it would help.
I think having something like that might really help.

There is even a plugin for this:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91729

The installation is very simple and quick (I've tried it myself), why don't you just try it out?

Emo Saria
25th November 2005, 11:24 PM
It would be nice to try to get people to read the rules, but i don't think it's gonna work to well, people joins without reading the rules and in return they get yelled at, and maby banned a couple days later, we can't force them to read the rules, only try to convince them.

PLANES CURE TOWERS
25th November 2005, 11:36 PM
All you, "it takes too long to read the rules" people are lol at best. Considering that the majority of the rules are based upon lack luster common sense, I fail to see how it is even relevant for that to be said, considering the fact that most of the rules are standard for all forums, unless otherwise stated, or based on aforementioned common sense.

If people lack the capacity to click a link and refresh their common sense directory in their pissing brains then there is seriously something wrong. >_>

Oh and that 'new rule' should've been mandatory anyway, and on top of that, it won't actually stop a whole lot, considering the people it effects don't read the sodding rules/announcements anyway. >_> It's a nice idea in theory, but in practice the target audience pisses all over it, laughs in its face and runs off screaming "I'm new."

-Josh

Locke Yggdrasill
25th November 2005, 11:40 PM
<<; Then there is something seriously wrong with about 63% of our new members.

indigestible_wad
26th November 2005, 1:19 AM
As I stated in the announcements thread relating to this, people should be held responsible for their actions, regardless of whether they are new or not. If the don't read the rules, tough, they should still be came down just as hard. People should have comon sense, regardless of whether they're new or not.

ShadowAlakazam
5th December 2005, 3:58 AM
Well the people who break rules do so as there is nothing to "lose". I was just wondering if this site bans IP addresses. Otherwise those rule breakers just make another account to create trouble. They can use another computer, but frankly, at least it can be curbed to a point

Magma Leader Maxie
5th December 2005, 3:03 PM
Well the people who break rules do so as there is nothing to "lose". I was just wondering if this site bans IP addresses. Otherwise those rule breakers just make another account to create trouble. They can use another computer, but frankly, at least it can be curbed to a point

I suppose this site can do that. It should be under vBulletin options/User Banning Options/Banned IP addresses. That's probably why the worst spammers (until I joined I had no idea that people could be so stupid) can't post tons of their trash here, thank goodness.