PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Currency

Kiyohime
25th November 2005, 2:34 AM
While writing a scene, I found myself stopped by an unusual roadblock-- Pokemon currency.

I don't follow the anime, so I'm not sure what people call their currency, or in what form it takes-- credit cards, paper money, or coins.

I only recall one instance where Red referred to his money as "smackers" in the second volume of the Special Manga (when Blue scammed him of all his money with fake items) but I'm still unsure. o.o;;

Help is much appreciated, as usual. If there isn't a canon name for it, what's the most common name used in fanfiction? (I don't want to use "Pokedollars" because dollars is an American name for money, like yen or euro. >.o)

Zerodius
25th November 2005, 2:38 AM
Well... the official name is "Pokedollar" and the symbol used for it is a "p" with a bar on it, signifying "Pokedollar".

If you want to follow the canon, it's "Pokedollar". Sorry if you don't like it but well... unless someone can find the japanese name for the Pokemon currency, it seems like it's "Pokedollar".

Ryano Ra
25th November 2005, 2:38 AM
O.O Hmm, interesting question.

One character, in my upcoming fanfiction, refers to the currency as being Pokedollars, although Pokemon is a Japanese Anime and particularly such be named after their currency. I mean, 'ball' is an american term, so it technically wouldn't be right to refer to the red and white orbs as Pokeballs, correct? ^^ Either you should make one up, as in the names and such, or use Pokedollars, since it does seem like a good name in my personal opinion. I mean, what's so harmful about using Pokedollars? Money is money. o.o

Kiyohime
25th November 2005, 2:42 AM
REALLY? I thought Pokedollars was a fan-made name. XD *feels like a idiot*

FlamingRuby
25th November 2005, 2:44 AM
I just use 'credits'; and 100 credits=$1

PDL
25th November 2005, 3:04 AM
well, it should be noted that the Pokedollar system is somewhat based on the Japanese Yen...

interestingly enough, it's not even called Pokedollars in the anime, because strangely enough, currency names have rarely come up... it would just be edited into amercian money anyway...

the only offical source that I've heard of using the term "pokedollars" would be a Colosseum guide I think...

Faerie
25th November 2005, 5:58 AM
I think you sholuld make up your own name for them. Pokedollars sounds stupid. X__x Also, try thinking about the setting and cultrue of your story. What place and what culture does it remind you of? Use the currency of that place. I think that would work. ^__^

EDIT: I think 'smackers' is slang. Red uses slang quite often in Pokemon Adventures. I'm not sure about Special (the Japanese version), but he does do that in the English.

Shadowcat
25th November 2005, 8:33 AM
For me, it's called Pokecash or Pokemoney or Pokedollar or Pokedollars. I'm weird suggesting Pokecash.

And YES SCRAP! SOMEBODY MENTIONED CREDIT CARDS! Credit Cards=Love. I have planned to use and will always use Pokemon Credit Cards, short is PCC.

RaZoR LeAf
25th November 2005, 1:03 PM
Pokedollars is fine for the game or anime, but if you're writting a fic and wanting to make it mre realistic, Pokedollars sounds a little too corney. Just plain old currency names would do, for whatever you are happy using. Dollars, Pound Sterling, Yen, etc.

The Big Al
25th November 2005, 1:50 PM
In the original Japanese version, it's simply yen. The English version used the English Yen symbol but replaced the Y with a P.

You could always make up your own currency name. I thought of the Hunori back when I was working in the Hunnoto region.

Wondrous Sableye
25th November 2005, 3:21 PM
I refer to it as PokéYen. Dollars wouldn't really make sense, given how much some of the stuff in shops costs. I mean, you wouldn't expect a ten- to sixteen-year-old to be carrying three thousand bucks on 'em, wouldja? XD

RaZoR LeAf
25th November 2005, 3:49 PM
I refer to it as PokéYen. Dollars wouldn't really make sense, given how much some of the stuff in shops costs. I mean, you wouldn't expect a ten- to sixteen-year-old to be carrying three thousand bucks on 'em, wouldja? XD

Well you wouldn't be expecting 10-16 year olds to be walking around the world on their own either. I imagine the pokemon world economy is much different to our own. yes things do cost a lot, but money doesn't seem to be of as much importance. Trainers hand over half of their earnings on being beaten in a battle, and a Gold Nugget isn't worth all that much (not when you compare it's selling price to the cost of some items). And pokemon can use Pay Day to make money appear, if that's not an incentive to have a farm of Meowths build you a fortune, I don't know what is.

Dragonfree
25th November 2005, 5:27 PM
They're called Pokédollars in-game in Colosseum, if I remember correctly... *checks*

"Pokémon Dollars", it says in the P*DA.

Elemental Charizam
25th November 2005, 5:39 PM
I thought anything with the prefix 'poké' would be lame; worse than StarTrek and its 'Hypo' prefix :rolleyes: And calling it a pound or Euro or so on just sounded a bit dull...

So I just call them Palort (accent mark on a). You could too Scrap!... SPREAD THE WEIRD NAME AROUND!

Seijiro Mafuné
25th November 2005, 6:24 PM
A Pálort?

I tend to go for Yen or Zennys.

+Chaos Blade+
25th November 2005, 6:30 PM
I don't use it. I use only Fantasy elements - bartering, gold coins, silver coins, bars of gold, et cetera.

The Pokémon currency is non-existent, I believe, because it's almost simlar to yen, just with a 'P' instead of a 'Y'.

+Chaos Blade+

Kiyohime
25th November 2005, 7:01 PM
Palort? XD

Razor Leaf said it all-- anything with the prefix Poke sounds corny and lame. In the real world, do we use CowDollars? WeaselYen? How about some ZebraEuros? XD

Chibi Pika
25th November 2005, 7:35 PM
I've always just called 'em dollars cuz I'm too lazy to think of my own name. >> But yeah, I've tried to stray away from that look as though the Pokemon world completely centers around Pokemon, even if Pokedollars is used in Colosseum.

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

+Chaos Blade+
25th November 2005, 8:26 PM
&#165;
This is the symbol for Yen, the Japanese currency. Pok&#233;mon was made in Japan. Don't you think it was common sense that they insert a Yen-like symbol into the Pok&#233;mon universe?

Dilasc
25th November 2005, 8:46 PM
In Dust to Deceit, the Yen/Pokedollar currency is not used. Okay, well maybe it is used, but only in the Japanese areas. In Dust to Deceit, which is somewhat of a spin on Mongolia, the money is refered to as Corulums. The exchange rate is about 50 corulums to 1 Pokedollar, meaning that Kertonmel a region that isn't exactly located in a prosperous region. Now, since this is the first time I even bring up to Corulum, even before the story itself, all you readers and closet readers can thrill yourself to the spoils of war. Not there's many of you, but enjoy!

Ouallada
25th November 2005, 10:15 PM
Currency is not a problem, and it never should be. Different places have different currency, and unless every fiction here takes place at the same place, having a different currency is fine, and is even more realistic. Unless a writer is going to argue for a blanket curreny, in which case I have nothing more to add.

Dilasc, believe me when I say this. I really do understand your need for more reviewers, but i really do not see why you must mention your fic in almost every post you make. It seems a little weird to me, and may put people off.

Negrek
25th November 2005, 11:10 PM
*agrees with Oullada on being tired of seeing Dust to Deceit dragged out for every discussion*

I don't really care. I rarely write out the whole word and usually just leave it abbreviated as Pk. I did have to use the word "credits" for it in the last chapter that I wrote (stupid scene involving money), but that's for the smaller increments, like cents. I honestly don't know what I would call it normally, but it's no biggie to me.

Shadowcat
26th November 2005, 8:58 AM
*Wonders why everyone doesn't use Credit Cards in their fics*

Scrap, you can just call it Money, Pokemoney, Pokeyen, Pokecash, Cash, Credits, Pokecredits, and the list goes on....

Pokemon Credit Cards, why doesn't anyone use them? Tons of people use Money, Pokemoney or Pokeyen. PCC, short for Pokemon Credit Card(s) are used to store money in my upcoming fics, and the loser give the winner money, who pockets it and shall deposit it into his/her PCC in a Pokemon Center. That's what I use Scrap. Original, eh?

So Scrap, what are you gonna call money in your fics?

Kiyohime
26th November 2005, 9:01 AM
I decided to be cheap and use credit cards. XD Makes sense, since everything's very technology-oriented in the Pokemon fandom. I actually wouldn't be surprised if paper money was rendered obsolete in the distant future. o.o;; Then the credit card companies take over the world. XD

Shadowcat
26th November 2005, 9:15 AM
I decided to be cheap and use credit cards. XD Makes sense, since everything's very technology-oriented in the Pokemon fandom. I actually wouldn't be surprised if paper money was rendered obsolete in the distant future. o.o;; Then the credit card companies take over the world. XD

OMG! Scrap agrees with me! The two of us love Credit Cards, don't we? Maybe Cheques would do, but they're easily lost. And Credit Cards pwns!

Kiyohime
26th November 2005, 9:26 AM
WHOOOOOOOO! *runs around waving credit cards* They can be awesome, but not so awesome if someone's stupid enough to bog themselves down into major debt.

Ouallada
26th November 2005, 9:32 AM
I do think that electronic payments will be the norm sometime in the future, but not credit cards, or at least not the notion of credit cards, because of the interest rates accrued.

Kiyohime
26th November 2005, 10:53 AM
True, you bring up a good point. I think it'll become a bit more simplified, like ATM cards, the electronic version of paper cash exchange. That'd be excellent, as it'd prevent having to chop up trees for paper. And counterfeiting would plummet.

Shadowcat
26th November 2005, 11:02 AM
I agree with Scrap because trees have to be cut down to make paper, so I'll stick with the PCC. Anyways, just make sure the characters don't overuse the amount of money they have.

Dilasc
26th November 2005, 9:36 PM
I'm going to let the harsh commentary towards me slide, as I don't want an arguement to spam up someone else's thread.

Anyway, back on topic. You can use credit, but there still needs to be a paper/coin money behind it. Remember, not every nation has the Pokedollar, as I've stated in my example above. When dealing with foreign money, there are always important factors, such as the exchange rate between countries, taxes, and so forth. While it's safe, and lazily easy to use credit, coining the name (pun intended) of your currency could be important.

+Chaos Blade+
26th November 2005, 9:37 PM
.: [Smells Cash] :.
1,000 and some-odd dollars. Sexy Cash.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you use in your Fanfics. Each fic does take place in another world, sort of, so, it's fair to say that we can create our own currency. As for me, I just use gold coins, silver coins, bartering, as that was how it is in some countires now. Yes, we still barter. OMG.

+Chaos Blade+

Yamato-san
26th November 2005, 10:13 PM
As The Big Al mentioned, it is yen in the original Japanese games. This makes sense considering Satoshi Tajiri's original intentions were to make a game that reflected his interest in animals as a little kid, letting all Japanese children who play the game be able to go out on their own little adventure to go bug-catching and such. With this in mind, the game would have to involve some realistic aspects of their lives, which is why Kantou resembles a section of Tokyo geographically. So, the idea of a kid going out into the world with his own bit of pocket change (which is, of course, yen), and collecting pocket change from other kids that are defeated in competition doesn't seem very hard to grasp.

In the Japanese version of Pokemon Colloseum and XD, though, they use the term ポケドル Pokedollars. I'm guessing they did this because these games have a slight wild west-style to them, and with that being American-based, they made the currency American to reflect that. They could've just called them normal dollars in the Japanese version, but using "Pokedollars" was probably a double-whammy, both using American currency AND the name of the money in the games' English language versions, so they went with it.

Finally, in the Mysterious Dungeon games, the money is called "Poke". They must've done this because, unlike the main RPGs, these games take place in a completely fictional world rather than areas based off of Japan, so there'd be no point in using "yen". Instead, they took the opportunity to give Pokemon, whom managed to build their own society without human interaction, their own unique form of currency that doesn't reflect any real cultures. It's kinda like how the Digimon games use "BIT" for the money in the Digital World. If nothing else, you could go with typical RPG terms like "gold" and whatnot.

Dragonfree
26th November 2005, 10:18 PM
Heh, in The Quest for the Legends, the Pok&#233;dex is pretty much the ultimate tool for trainers and it has eye identification, pays automatically when you buy something and many more features (although Mark does start out with paper money as he doesn't have a Pok&#233;dex). So I kinda use electronic money.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
26th November 2005, 10:21 PM
In my fic Its just P(insert total here) P short for Pokedollers, and they are coins. The bigger the coin, the more it's worth, and the coins can be fused into the larger total at mecheins in Pokemarts/centers. The totals for the coins go
1-5-10-50-100-200-300-400-500 ect ect

Ryano Ra
27th November 2005, 9:52 PM
Yes, the worlds are quite different and are specifically sculpted around the author's imagination. ATM Credit Cards are more of a futuristic tone, if your story takes place in such an era. Fantasy elements, you'd sway more in the direction of Chaos Blade's suggestion, using gold bars, the gold standard system, bartering, and definitely the trading systems.

I use Pokedollars, though the credit cards idea isn't so bad after all. ^^ However, I tend to sway more in the fantasy money exchange with silver coinage and so on and so forth. Nevertheless, perhaps I should use the credit cards idea if any of my stories will have people buying anything at all. XD

Kiyohime
27th November 2005, 9:59 PM
WHOMG! SERPENT SYRA, YOU HELPED ME! *hugs* That made me realize my fanficiton's going to evolve and change money-wise because it spans over thousands and thusands of centuries. I'm going to be starting with bartering and coins, then paper money, then credit. XD But credit will be the main thing.

Ryano Ra
27th November 2005, 10:15 PM
WHOMG! SERPENT SYRA, YOU HELPED ME! *hugs* That made me realize my fanficiton's going to evolve and change money-wise because it spans over thousands and thusands of centuries. I'm going to be starting with bartering and coins, then paper money, then credit. XD But credit will be the main thing.*hugs back* YOU ARE MOST WELCOMED!

Credit Cards are a fantastic idea, and it's good to hear that you will be mainly focusing on such a strong, easy currency level here. Bartering and coins were used back in the 1700s and 1800s when the gold standard system and unlimited silver coinage was demanded by the Populist Party, ringing echoes of the Alliance and the Grange. Oh noes, history! *hides*

However, one thing strikes me as off; bartering, trading, and silver and gold strike me as elements of the early ages and eras (like the Gilded Age), though it somehow fits better in fantasy as well. o.< The past events of the world and fantasy...they blend somehow. *thinks* But yes, trading and bartering would be excellent. In fantasy, I also think of auctioning, because it seems like royalties would do such a thing to sell their unique items.