PDA

View Full Version : Hacks which would be useful here

Virtual Headache
25th November 2005, 11:51 PM
Well, browsing through vB.org, I've found a few hacks which I consider useful for SPPf.
I've tested them all myself so I can be sure they'll work.
Note that these hacks don't take much time to install.

Automatic Welcome PM (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91729)
This has already been suggested in the most recent threads, but I thought I should bring it up again.
Whenever a user joins and activates their account, they'll automatically get a PM.
You can change the PM text to whatever you want, so you could use it for showing the newbies the most important threads and rules.

Search for Posts in Thread by Username (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91629)
A little addiditon which can be quite handy, espcially in big forums like SPPf.
It lets you search for the posts a user has made in a specific thread.

Reported post creates new thread (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83074)
Whenever a user reports a post anew thread will be created in a specific forum. I think this more handy than the standard report system.
Mods won't have to check their emails, since reports won't be sent to their emailadresses anymore.
All they need to do is to keep an eye on the forum where the reports will show.

Censorship per Forum (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93492)
Probably useful for the Fanfiction forums, since you could turn off the censor there then.

Realtime Template Compressor (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83248&page=5&pp=15&highlight=bandwidth)
This one should actually save bandwith and make pages load faster, which could be very useful here.

Well, that's it for now.

btw: Is this the right forum? There is neither a thread nor a forum for forum suggestions...

Eszett
25th November 2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah, those all sound like handy and efficient tools for the forum. The latest upgrade of vBulletin was helpful beyond measure, but these should dissolve most of the forum-related peeves people have about the forums.

Well, except for the mod situation. ;[

Wolf Goddess
26th November 2005, 12:20 AM
That first one would be heaven on earth.

Read this 'Bii.

indigestible_wad
26th November 2005, 12:23 AM
Yes, that first one would settle many angry posts and things about how no one is changing the names that haven't been changed and they're still on the thread. Personally. I don't know why those people just up and left without doing their job. But then again, this is SPP.

The first one would be great. That last one too. Just put a subforum in the mod lounge.

Heracross
26th November 2005, 12:30 AM
The third one would also be quite useful. Several times I've found myself searching through huge threads page by page because such an option was not available.

Ilex
26th November 2005, 12:31 AM
The first is a must-have. Considering I want to change my name.
The 2nd one isn't as important, but would still be helpful.
The 3rd one doesn't appeal to me much, although it would help if I wanted to see if someone has replied to me without having to go through pages and pages.
I never use the report button so I don't really care about the last one.

indigestible_wad
26th November 2005, 1:24 AM
Now that you mention it the third one seems pretty good. Every once in a while I seem to wish for that feature.

bass_forte
26th November 2005, 1:00 PM
#1 would be nice, although I'm not gonna change this name. 2 is definitely needed. It would (hopefully) kill the n00bishness here, and could also be used as justification for harsher punishments ( *wants* ). 3 would be good, although I personally wouldn't need it, and 4... I dunno about that one. It would be a great idea if you could get all the reports for each user in one thread. That way, violations of rules would be very easy to see.

Factory Head Noland
26th November 2005, 1:12 PM
Good ideas there, I like them.

The first one would be easier on everyone, Admin and members.

pika2000 is more helpful than most Mods here...

MaskedManAbsolkid
26th November 2005, 1:25 PM
1) I agree with this one the most, I want it the most.
2) If you make it so it has the rules, then saying 'I forgot to read the rules' would be a lie.
3) Yeah, I'd like it. I tried it a lot but it didn't work.
4) So there could be a section for reports? Good idea for mods.

PokeProphet
26th November 2005, 1:33 PM
1: Very good suggestion. Just keep the limit on changing your name once in two months. If not, this forum could get very confusing.

2: Useful too, but you have to take two things into consideration. One, is that new people might not know already how the PM system works, and thus simply doesn't notice the PM. Two, the PM will be helpfull against newbies, but not against n00bs that refuse to read/follow the rules regardless of what you tell them.

3: Been waiting for something like this myself. Hey, do you happen to have something to look up a term in all the posts by one user? That would come in handy too.

4: Nice idea, but again there is a problem. Remember that some people report posts just for fun or for lame reasons. This may increase if every reported post starts his own thread, especially if those threads are accesible to the regular members (are they!) which might start a whole bloody lot of discussions/flamewars, and a lot more mod-time to clean up the mess. Then again, not making this forum accesible to regular members solves this problem.

indigestible_wad
26th November 2005, 7:02 PM
4: Nice idea, but again there is a problem. Remember that some people report posts just for fun or for lame reasons. This may increase if every reported post starts his own thread, especially if those threads are accesible to the regular members (are they!) which might start a whole bloody lot of discussions/flamewars, and a lot more mod-time to clean up the mess. Then again, not making this forum accesible to regular members solves this problem.
Let's not forget something, reports can do one of two things: find reported posts, and find trolls. If someone does report a bad thread or post, it's going to be dealt with accordingly. Now if someone makes a bad judgement or feels like trolling with the report system, then they can be dealt with accordingly by the moderator present. It would still be the same as if the person was reporting regularly and they would be going into the email box. It just takes a little bit more effort with moderators.

Magma Leader Maxie
27th November 2005, 5:13 PM
They aren't really that good, in my opinion. The one I find least helpful is the

Automatic Welcome PM
This has already been suggested in the most recent threads, but I thought I should bring it up again.
Whenever a user joins and activates their account, they'll automatically get a PM.
You can change the PM text to whatever you want, so you could use it for showing the newbies the most important threads and rules.

I have become a member at your forum, pika2000, and I didn't really find it helpful. Even if I was new to the world of forum communities, I wouldn't really find any use for the PM, and it's definitely not the most important hack of the four you suggested.

Virtual Headache
27th November 2005, 8:26 PM
2: Useful too, but you have to take two things into consideration. One, is that new people might not know already how the PM system works, and thus simply doesn't notice the PM.

The Registration Options could be changed so the "Pop up a Notification Box When a Private Message is Received" option is automatically turned on.
Pop-ups can't be ingored that easily and the newbies would see that they've got a PM.

I have become a member at your forum, pika2000, and I didn't really find it helpful. Even if I was new to the world of forum communities, I wouldn't really find any use for the PM, and it's definitely not the most important hack of the four you suggested.
It always depends on the PMs content.
I'm using the default text which can be changed of course.

Oh yeah, it would also be nice to see the staff's opinion...

Ethereal
27th November 2005, 9:11 PM
This is a great idea. They all would be extremely useful....But, I doubt actual attention will be paid to this thread. ;/

Frecyo
27th November 2005, 9:53 PM
Yes, I think these would be nice. Especially Number 1 XD

Solid Kirby
29th November 2005, 1:30 AM
Joe Needs to look at this. Because all of these are extremely helpful, by the sounds of it.

But, Like Jynxo said, the chances of him looking at this is Slim to none, and the possibility of them happening is smaller still. I remember that Joe dosn't really like Hacks. >_>

Ohtachi
29th November 2005, 2:00 AM
These options would be great, but I doubt we'll be able to use these. Maybe or maybe not. But we can hope. That's all there is to it for me.

Michael
11th December 2005, 2:27 AM
pika2000, if only i had gotten here earlier to warn you, warn you yes indeed, the administrator here doesnt take to, let me rephrase that, doesnt care at all for forum suggestions. Especially those of any use to the forum, even with the capabilities of a newly implement plugin functionality i would be extremely surprised, and gleeful to see anything other than the out of the packet end user options being avaiable to me.

I myself have many times taken the opportunity to provide links to www.vbulletin.org topics with descriptions as you have done only to receive no reply, no acknowledgement and only for the suggestions to be lost in the neverness of what was almost remembered.

Virtual Headache
11th December 2005, 2:33 AM
pika2000, if only i had gotten here earlier to warn you, warn you yes indeed, the administrator here doesnt take to, let me rephrase that, doesnt care at all for forum suggestions. Especially those of any use to the forum, even with the capabilities of a newly implement plugin functionality i would be extremely surprised, and gleeful to see anything other than the out of the packet end user options being avaiable to me.
I know what kind of person Joe is :/
But there's always hope
*pokes Joe*

Michael
11th December 2005, 9:24 PM
I know what kind of person Joe is :/
But there's always hope
*pokes Joe*
Hope vanished in the 33 pages that his members combined together to make as a stand against his administrative abilities, or, should i say the lack of it.

Virtual Headache
12th December 2005, 4:21 PM
Another one

Probably useful for the Fanfiction forums, since you could turn off the censor there then.

yay for admin replies :/

Fox
12th December 2005, 7:25 PM
Well, browsing through vB.org, I've found a few hacks which I consider useful for SPPf.
I've tested them all myself so I can be sure they'll work.
Note that these hacks don't take much time to install.

Username Management (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101326)
Since the Username change thread has been closed for a while now, and none of the admins seems to take care of the name changes, this hack might solve the problem.
It allows users to change their names themselves, but it can still be controlled:
You can set the hack allow users to change their names only every special amount of days.
If you don't like users to change their names themselves, you can allow mods to change their names through the ModCP (NOT the AdminCP).

Search for Posts in Thread by Username (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91629)
A little addiditon which can be quite handy, espcially in big forums like SPPf.
It lets you search for the posts a user has made in a specific thread.

Reported post creates new thread (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83074)
Whenever a user reports a post anew thread will be created in a specific forum. I think this more handy than the standard report system.
Mods won't have to check their emails, since reports won't be sent to their emailadresses anymore.
All they need to do is to keep an eye on the forum where the reports will show.

Well, that's it for now.

btw: Is this the right forum? There is neither a thread nor a forum for forum suggestions...
I'm no admin, but will SMod do? :D >>;;
Obviously the Username Management one is not needed as badly anymore, and I personally believe that that one would not be that great of an idea. I'm not sure if there are any restrictions you can apply to it, but I can imagine some users going name-change crazy with it. The others, especially the Welcome PM one, seem valid. However, it all depends on how lazy Joe is, and/or his willingness to apply these.

Who knows, maybe he'll add them come 2006. Good suggestions though, at least none of them are pointless.

Serebii
12th December 2005, 7:37 PM
Sorry, I don't do hacks

PUrEHearT
12th December 2005, 8:06 PM
everyone is cheering pika2000 and one word from serebii makes that all useless... XD

great ideas though

Dragonfree
12th December 2005, 8:06 PM
And why not, if I may ask?

Serebii
12th December 2005, 8:17 PM
Because in my experience they're untrustworthy and glitchy and made redundant with each forum upgrade

Michael
12th December 2005, 8:53 PM
Because in my experience they're untrustworthy and glitchy and made redundant with each forum upgrade
Please refrain yourself from making too harsh a judgement from my judgement, but Serebii as a vBulletin Administrator shouldnt you be aware what exactly you are installing when you upgrade from 3.0.X to 3.5.X you should be aware that with vBulletin 3.5.X comes the advent of the Plugin System. This means that hacks and modifications can be installed or uninstalled at the click of a button, henceforth they also require NO updating during upgrades to later versions of 3.5.2 - which on a side note i have noticed you have seemly forgotton to upgrade to, i suppose you can live with your forum running under an important security exploit, although, any responsibile and active administrator wouldn't. Users at the official vBulletin modifications forum, www.vbulletin.org has seen hacks there been installed in over 700 forums, now your telling me they are glitchy and untrustworthy, more like they are exciting additions of functionality which forums CANNOT life without. Modifications arent made for the purpose of ruining forums or making their lives hell, far from it, they are designed to improve the administrative, moderatative and members experience whilst under their vBulletin account. Perhaps you should research what you are exactly talking about before you go blurting your mouth out next time.

Serebii
12th December 2005, 9:11 PM
You say forums cant live without these hacks...LOOK AROUND. The forums are living, they're thriving

I know what I'm on about, they're my forums, if you don't like it or how I Run it as you obviously dont then kindly piss off

Fox
12th December 2005, 9:19 PM
Imma go close this before things get a little too far outa hand here...

Insulting and/or being pushy never works to persuade Joe into doing anything... in fact, it gives him stronger belief into not doing such things.

Edit: Rather, strengthens his will to say no.

Anyway, reopening this topic, since (hopefully) people have cooled down. Keep it clean...

Virtual Headache
15th December 2005, 7:17 PM
I'm no admin, but will SMod do? :D >>;;
Obviously the Username Management one is not needed as badly anymore, and I personally believe that that one would not be that great of an idea. I'm not sure if there are any restrictions you can apply to it, but I can imagine some users going name-change crazy with it.
Yes, you can restrict them to change their names only every X days.

Well, I've actually never had a problem with these hacks.
They get installed by many people, so whenever someone finds a bug it's reported and fixed quickly.

Two of the hacks I mentioned have been made by one of the vBulletin developers so I'm quite sure there are no glitches since the developers should actually know what they are doing o.o

All of the hacks mentioned are plugins which means they can be installed and enabled or disabled very quickly.
So if you are having problems with one of the hacks, it just takes a few clicks to remove it.

In case something really goes wrong, there are always the backups you can use (some of the hacks are even supported).

~pika

Shining Mew
15th December 2005, 8:57 PM
I thought I replied to this thread.... heh, guess not o.o;;

I think the Welcome PM, Search for posts in thread by username, and Censorship per Forum hacks would be quite useful. I dont see why not get them =( ::prods joe::

The Reported post creates new thread one... meh... I think we're ok with the email thing.

Virtual Headache
17th December 2005, 6:35 PM
The Reported post creates new thread one... meh... I think we're ok with the email thing.
Most of the time when I've reported posts through the standard report system, nobody reacted.
I have stopped using it for a while now and just PMed the mods instead, but it would be easier if I could use it again (since the PM link doesn't show up in profile's anymore and it takes more time to get it).

I've found another hack:
Realtime Template Compressor (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83248&page=5&pp=15&highlight=bandwidth)
This one should actually save bandwith and make pages load faster, which could be very useful here.

smiley.
17th December 2005, 11:18 PM
They're all great suggestions pika2000. Especially search for posts in thread by username. There have been a few times recently when I've wished we've had that.

Haku
18th December 2005, 12:09 AM
The arcade is back for the newest version of vBulletin by the way. :)

Eszett
18th December 2005, 12:18 AM
I urge Joe to at least test-drive these hacks for a fortnight or two. Obviously many members are clamoring for the mentioned alterations, and installing them for even a while would do much more to satisfy their whims than simply flat-out refusing to install them under any circumstances. To at least entertain the idea will be exponetially better for these forums.

Please, Joe, just consider them.