PDA

View Full Version : The two other trainers in Pallet Town. What do you think they were like?

whit19
29th November 2005, 11:36 PM
From the first season we knew that there were four trainers leavin Pallet Town to start their pokemon journey. We only know about Ash and Gary. But what about the other two? All we know is that they might (I'm not sure if they completely gave up on it or just couldn't get enough badges.) have quit bein pokemon trainers and one had a charmander and the other had a Bulbasaur. (At least I think.)

We neva knew their names or if one was a girl and one was a boy or etc. We neva knew if any of them were Ash and Gary's old childhood friends or new to Pallet Town. And it coulda been nice to find out why they quit being pokemon trainers. Like was it cuz all the trainin was becomin too hard for them or did one of their pokemon die on them, makin them give up their passion for bein a pokemon trainer?

Who knows...

I doubt the anime will eva mention them again, but I thought this topic mighta been interestin... Or maybe I'm just lookin into things too hard.

Do you think it woulda added more depth into the anime if the unknown Pallet Town two trainers were introduced as important characters instead of just two random trainers we knew nothin about?

Rex Kamex
30th November 2005, 12:10 AM
I doubt they'd ever come, but it would be cool if the FR/LG girl was one of the Trainers...

GoldenWing
30th November 2005, 12:35 AM
Blue and Yellow?

Orion-Sama
30th November 2005, 12:38 AM
I doubt they'd ever come, but it would be cool if the FR/LG girl was one of the Trainers...
I'd kill for that... but it won't happen. :(

I think they should at the very least give more insight on them. But since they brought the cheap "They flunked at the end" excuse to get rid of the slight trace that was of them, I doubt it.

Things like that would SO make the Anime less dull and predictable... but as in everything else, Pokémon writers are known for their lack of good ideas that don't involve the 10000th filler featuring certain Pokémon... =/

CyberCubed
30th November 2005, 12:51 AM
I think they both fell into a pit and died.

The writers will probably never go into detail about it, because it's not terribly important. Maybe if we were still early on in Ash's journey Prof. Oak might explain it, but since we're 400+ episodes into the anime there's no point to explain it. Orion they were trainers who failed to collect Gym badges and gave up, what kind of story can you develop out of this? It wasn't a cheap excuse, it just was something completely unimportant.

But I do like the idea of one of them being FR/LG girl...although that would mean she gave up the idea of being a trainer. :(

PDL
30th November 2005, 12:53 AM
the other two trainers are living with Ash's dad

Kamex
30th November 2005, 12:54 AM
Lol, you said almost exactly what I said when I started this (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=94922) thread. O_o

Anyway, yeah, would still be cool now if those trainers returned in some two-part episode or something, this time as real characters. But the writers might not be interested in bringing them back, they may simply want to leave the two trainers in history as they are now, almost like a legend. And I understand that. It's kind of like the whole idea of sequels not living up to their prequel, ya know what I mean?

Uchiha Obito
30th November 2005, 12:56 AM
you never know.. They might come in a new pokemon season being new rivals for Ash. If they did do that, the girl would most likely have a bulbasaur and the boy a charmander.

PDL
30th November 2005, 1:07 AM
alright, here's my real answer:

These two mystery trainers' sole purpose in the anime was to be a plot device so that Ash would miss out on all 3 standard starter pokemon and get Pikachu

Gary got 1 of them (and it wasn't revealed until the very end of Jotho) and for marketing purposes, Ash had to have Pikachu as his very first pokemon...

so they invented 2 other trainers to get the remaining pokemon... and they were referenced a few times until after Ash got the Earth badge and returned to Pallet town. That was when Oak said that the "other two" gave up and flunked out. Thus writting them out of the show perminanetly... never to be referenced again.

It's very very unlikely that they'll be mentioned, let alone seen in the anime... Much like Ash's dad, romance subplots, the GS ball's purpose, one-shot filler characters etc. They're unimportant and thus completely forgotten by the writers.

Orion-Sama
30th November 2005, 1:11 AM
For the longest time, I thought they were the other 2 Trainers in "Mewtwo Strikes Back" because of a dub mess-up (Ash called the blue-haired guy "Gary"...) and the fact that the Movie came out before the chapter where Oak said they "gave up". It kinda made sense, even. "Gary" had Venusaur, and that girl had Blastoise. The other guy probably had started with Charmander, but released it as he decided to become a full-on Water Pokémon Trainer. I was then told that the blue-haired guy wasn't Gary, which broke the theory. Now I know they were the top 3 Trainers of the Kanto League (Check the shadows closely... ;)).

And EvilKeckleon is probably right, as sad as it is... =/

-Totodile-
30th November 2005, 1:17 AM
Did it ever occur to anyone that these trainers might not have been mentioned in the original version. Almost like how Richie has an Eevee in the dub but not in the original.

Kamex
30th November 2005, 1:23 AM
Did it ever occur to anyone that these trainers might not have been mentioned in the original version. Almost like how Richie has an Eevee in the dub but not in the original.
He had one in the dub? He didn't have one in the original? O_o

Of course these trainers were mentioned in the original. They had to be. What else would Samurai of Viridian Forest have been explaining when they showed that scene that had all three starters whooping his Pincer's ***?

Edit: His Metapod may have been in that scene, too, IIRC.

PDL
30th November 2005, 1:24 AM
I used to beleive that the other 2 trainers abandoned their starter pokemon, and Ash obtained them somehow

Daimien could have been one of them, obviuosly his starter was Charmander

Blubasaur was abandoned and ended up at that hidden village, where it became the protector of the place.

and Squirtle was also an abandoned pokemon and joined other abandoned Squirtles to form the Squirtle squad.

of course, for this theory to work properly, you must disregard that Gary should have gotten one of the starters, and Gary couldn't just abandon a pokemon... especially since he's the grandson of the Professor Oak.

So I also thought that Eevee was Gary's starter, much like in Yellow. Gary, being the grandson of Professor Oak, must have access to something special. Thus he got Eevee.

but this was all back in the day when Pokemon was still the huge fad it once was.

The Big Al
30th November 2005, 1:26 AM
the other two trainers are living with Ash's dad
...in the belly of a Wailord.

whit19
30th November 2005, 1:35 AM
Lol, you said almost exactly what I said when I started this thread. O_o

You think so? What I said sounds nothin like what you said. Only think I can see that's the same is that we were both thinkin of the two unknown trainers from Pallet Town.

Rex Kamex
30th November 2005, 2:14 AM
I think they both fell into a pit and died.

The writers will probably never go into detail about it, because it's not terribly important. Maybe if we were still early on in Ash's journey Prof. Oak might explain it, but since we're 400+ episodes into the anime there's no point to explain it. Orion they were trainers who failed to collect Gym badges and gave up, what kind of story can you develop out of this? It wasn't a cheap excuse, it just was something completely unimportant.

But I do like the idea of one of them being FR/LG girl...although that would mean she gave up the idea of being a trainer. :(

Unless of course Ash motivated her to try again, or she motivated herself.

...Well, a guy can dream, can't he? (Don't answer that.)

UberSorcerer
30th November 2005, 8:39 AM
Girl=Leaf or Fire mostlike likley leaf, with bulby
Boy=Green of Red, hes the NEW Satoshi, so Charmander

MaskedManAbsolkid
30th November 2005, 5:30 PM
IIRC, Oak told Ash they quit in the episode where he caught Primeape.

Like mentioned, they were only a plot device, but I was hoping to see them in the Indigo League.

intergalactic platypus
30th November 2005, 9:32 PM
if they had kept them in, they could have used them to promote FR/LG. too bad the writers let them go

ChaosMage
1st December 2005, 12:42 AM
We know that, by the time Ash caught Primeape, they were both one badge ahead. It was sometime between then and the league where they gave up. Shame, really.

Double Decker
1st December 2005, 1:42 AM
Maybe one of them was Richie. But just because they got the starter Pokemon the Oak doesn't mean that all the rivals knew each other. They may not have given up, they might just be too slow, or just haven't contacted Oak or Pallet town for a long time. Or maybe we're looking for an answer that is right infront of us, but we can't see it.

The characters will show up eventually, playing in only one episode or more that one. They could be shown right at the end of the whole thing where it shows Ash's time line... and in theory he should be a Pokemon Master within the next two to three seasons looking at his positions throughout each of the tounaments he's been in (last 16, last 8 and last 4).

XSilverStarboyX
1st December 2005, 6:25 AM
I used to beleive that the other 2 trainers abandoned their starter pokemon, and Ash obtained them somehow

Daimien could have been one of them, obviuosly his starter was Charmander

Blubasaur was abandoned and ended up at that hidden village, where it became the protector of the place.

and Squirtle was also an abandoned pokemon and joined other abandoned Squirtles to form the Squirtle squad.

of course, for this theory to work properly, you must disregard that Gary should have gotten one of the starters, and Gary couldn't just abandon a pokemon... especially since he's the grandson of the Professor Oak.

So I also thought that Eevee was Gary's starter, much like in Yellow. Gary, being the grandson of Professor Oak, must have access to something special. Thus he got Eevee.

but this was all back in the day when Pokemon was still the huge fad it once was.
I thought the exact same way. The whole Gary and Eevee thing isnt a bad assumption because Yellow was made to revolve around the show. You got Pikachu and your rival got Eevee, so I figured Gary got one in the show. Plus, I figured with his grandfather being Professor Oak, he would have access to pokemon the other trainers did now;152;

Dogasu
1st December 2005, 6:59 AM

It was confirmed in "The Ties that Bind" that Gary's starter was a Squirtle.

Lovely May
1st December 2005, 7:55 AM
Probably they weren't kids from manga (Blue, Yellow) only some unknown kids from Pallet Town. They weren't patient and they gave up with journey. Pallet Town is small so probably Ash knew them.

PDL
1st December 2005, 2:25 PM
It was confirmed in "The Ties that Bind" that Gary's starter was a Squirtle.

I know that, I thought that Eevee was his starter back then though, when Jotho was still new and such.

ChaosMage
1st December 2005, 9:03 PM
If, by any chance, it was Richie who got Charmander, maybe the trainer who beat him in the Indigo Plateau with Ivysaur was the other trainer.

EDIT: No, because nobody from Pallet got any further than Ash. Interesting thought, though.

Geki
1st December 2005, 9:17 PM
Well, they did show they're Pokemon attacking Samurai in a Kanto Episode, but they never actually showed the trainers, Samurai just said that they beat him with ease, who knows, maybe they're fairly good trainers, or were?

pikadon92
2nd December 2005, 12:48 PM
I think those two trainer ARE FL/LG boy and girl. They quitted being trainers because.............

LG girl: Become coodinater instead. Probably at Saffron.
FR boy: Become an illegal PWF (Pokemon World Fighting) trainer. Lied about quitting being a trainer.

If that really happens, that'll be my lucky guess though.

Uchiha Obito
3rd December 2005, 12:49 AM
it stinks they probably wont show them anymore! *stupid plot device!!*

Satoshi
3rd December 2005, 5:38 AM
They were just two failures in life, I suppose. It's a shame the writers gave up a good opportunity to create two good-potential characters that would've made the anime a little more interesting.

Maybe one of them was Richie. But just because they got the starter Pokemon the Oak doesn't mean that all the rivals knew each other. They may not have given up, they might just be too slow, or just haven't contacted Oak or Pallet town for a long time. Or maybe we're looking for an answer that is right infront of us, but we can't see it.
That's a good theory. But if that were true, then why didn't Oak know who Hiroshi was when he and Satoshi first met him?
When have they ever been shown in the first place?

pikadon92
8th December 2005, 10:23 AM
Look at my previous post, there's still posibilities that one of them becomes a coodinater...... (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=2428471&postcount=28)
While the other becomes a ranger.

Double Decker
19th December 2005, 6:08 PM
That's a good theory. But if that were true, then why didn't Oak know who Hiroshi was when he and Satoshi first met him?

Consider Oak's age;)

I know he's a Pokemon professor, but he is old and maybe he only kept in contact with Ash and Gary, seeing as they may have been the better of the four trainers. Oak could have also got caught up in work that he forgot about him, you know how things go...

Satoshi
19th December 2005, 9:04 PM
Consider Oak's age;)

I know he's a Pokemon professor, but he is old and maybe he only kept in contact with Ash and Gary, seeing as they may have been the better of the four trainers. Oak could have also got caught up in work that he forgot about him, you know how things go...
If he's old enough to remember something that happened 40 years ago (4th Movie), I'm sure he's old enough to remember something that happened less than a few months ago (Episode 1 - Seiki League). -_-;

Besides, wouldn't Hiroshi make little comment of Prof. Oak of meeting him at the beginning of his trainer days? It's odd that he wouldn't mention it. And he didn't seem familiar with Oak at all when they first met him.

Prof. Oak said those two trainers dropped from beings trainers, yet Hiroshi competed with all the Gym Badges in the Sieki League.

So, I'm sure that he's NOT one of those two. :)

Alfonso
19th December 2005, 9:08 PM
Damien? What sort of stupud theory is that. Damien most likely isn't a registered trainer, or if he is one, not connected to any sort of Professor. If he was, then every Pokemon he caught over the total of 6 would go to the lab.

Not to mention, Damien said that he caught Charmander.

Kabuto
19th December 2005, 9:12 PM
The two trainers were awful trainers that probably couldn't even get a badge. They will either start again some other time or quit forever. Its is yet another mystery in the anime like Proffeseors Ivys dumping and the GS Ball. Not everything is said to the fans. Its always good to have a little bit of mystery. At least we know that Gary got Squirtle, so those 2 trainers got Bulbasaur and Charmander. The end, no need to continue this speculation. And no, FR LG girl wasn't one of those 2 trainers.

Alfonso
19th December 2005, 9:14 PM
The two trainers were awful trainers that probably couldn't even get a badge. They will either start again some other time or quit forever. Its is yet another mystery in the anime like Proffeseors Ivys dumping and the GS Ball. Not everything is said to the fans. Its always good to have a little bit of mystery. At least we know that Gary got Squirtle, so those 2 trainers got Bulbasaur and Charmander. The end, no need to continue this speculation. And no, FR LG girl wasn't one of those 2 trainers.

You know, getting badges isn't exactly an easy thing, and not everyone can do it. Gym Leaders are Gym Leaders for a reason, they're professionals.

I also recall Oak saying that they got around 5 badges, which ain't bad.

Not to mention, they actually beat Samurai, unlike Ash.

Kabuto
19th December 2005, 9:16 PM
Oh yea forgot bout that. So they're not that bad but they still quit. Who knows why really.

The Addicted
3rd May 2013, 3:33 PM
It was a boy and a girl.
They fell in love with each other and started a Pokemon ranch together.
They now live happily with eachother and their many Pokémon, including their Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard and Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur.

TanBun
3rd May 2013, 5:22 PM
Now they are Cynthia and Lance O_o

No. Stupid anime

fitzy909
3rd May 2013, 5:51 PM
Now they are Cynthia and Lance O_o

No. Stupid anime

seeing as they supposedly didn't make it then that won't really work. it would be cool though... i bet they managed to beat a couple of gyms, but couldn't beat a certain gym leader no matter how hard they tried, so they gave up.

moneylesswario
3rd May 2013, 6:07 PM
lol @ 7+ year bump

Moonlight Starlight
4th May 2013, 1:51 AM
seeing as they supposedly didn't make it then that won't really work. it would be cool though... i bet they managed to beat a couple of gyms, but couldn't beat a certain gym leader no matter how hard they tried, so they gave up.

I bet that is Team Rocket's boss that the trainers can't beat.

It would be cool if Leaf was shown during the first episode of Pokemon since she is from the same Region and home place with Ash and Gary.