PDA

View Full Version : The importance of canon

Roses Ablaze
1st December 2005, 5:15 PM
For me, it doesn't have to be canon (or even likely to become canon), but there has to be *something* between them, whether it's rivalry, friendship, brotherly/sisterly love, or even just undertones. I don't like ships that people pull out of their arses, but it doesn't have to be canon or generally accepted for me to enjoy it.

PokeProphet
1st December 2005, 5:26 PM
The ships I support are the ones I consider likely to become canon (Pokeshipping for example) and some rabid fanboy fantasies that have no chance whatsoever becoming canon (Breathshipping = Lorelei/Clair = *faints*). So I guess I'm kinda in the middle.

Tropical Spirit
1st December 2005, 5:43 PM
Canon=Boring imho. :<
Most of the relationships in canon shippings are traditional and tired ones, anyways. (Y HALO THAR LOVE/HATE AND OPPOSITE/IDENTICAL PERSONALITIES HOW R U DOIN TODAY?) I like to ship characters that I think will be interesting together; I don't care about their importance in the show or whatever.

I tend to devlop more of a liking to minor characters, anyways. Main characters are clich&#233;. D:

Seijiro Mafuné
1st December 2005, 6:07 PM
Don't care. Even if most I like are me-created (Alchemistshipping, Ballshipping...), they're more like ideas that'll never exist.

Although I'll still defend them with nails and teeth.

Devilrose
1st December 2005, 6:44 PM
There's probably some canon ships I'd like, depending on the characters involved, but really where's the fun in supporting a ship thats canon? No speculation, no interesting plots to try to get the characters together, and no ideas for stories revolving around it...no fun >.>

Encyclopika
1st December 2005, 7:59 PM
I like any ship at random basically. There's no pattern for it. If I like it, I'll like it, if I don't, then I don't. Canon has nothing to do with it. Canon is just an awsome bonus, IMO.

Jo-Jo
2nd December 2005, 3:00 AM
^ Same as Encyclopika. I'm a plot-fan, so I usually go for ships with a potentially interesting story surrounding them. Makes no difference whether the story is in canon or something I made up. ;)

taitofan
2nd December 2005, 3:33 AM
I like a few canon couples, but usually one-sided canon or shounen/shoujo ai canon... Mostly I'm random with my shipping. Canon doesn't matter, but I won't hate it just because it is canon. There are a few het canon not-one-sided couples I'm rather fond of...

*used canon way too may times up there*

Toran Frostbite
2nd December 2005, 3:35 AM
Canon is important, but so's the possibility of outside interaction. In some instances of canon, regardless if two people never met on screen, the chances of them of bumping into each other are drastically high. Like Prince of Tennis, for instance. In that series, 'never-mets' are really non-existent, because no two teams can have not NOT crossed paths before.

In more linear plots, I hate canon for the most part (because it's boring so much of the time, that romantic [sub]plot), but there are a few main chara!pairs I do the Macarena over.

Revolutionary Destiny
2nd December 2005, 5:32 PM
To me, canon doesn't matter. Like some other people, as long as I like the ship for whatever reason, then it's good enough for me. If it's canon, that's great. If it's not, no great loss. But there are some canon ships out there that I do happen to like (ex: Kim and Ron [Kim Possibe], Ron and Hermione [Harry Potter]).

Melody93
2nd December 2005, 10:19 PM
I support a ship that didn't stand a chance of happening! (They were both different shows yet commercials we done with the characters and the same people who did the commercial did the show [I think]) so I kinda hope it would happen. Still I got bore with it after a year and now I'm the Suicidal Pokeshipper (well trying not to be being I now have found another reason to live (which I actually can control some what) yet there's 1% of it happening so yeah not only does pokeshipping has to became a canon but it has to be a little more too for me.

Although I envy people who don't actually and plan on never wanted a ship to become a canon this bad never again!

Phantom_Bugsy
2nd December 2005, 10:45 PM
Canon, to me, is NO.

And the only thing close to canon I like in Les Mis is Bossuet x Joly. So....no. XD

Mimori Kiryu
2nd December 2005, 10:50 PM
I don't mind canon's. Some make me a little p-ed of, but I really don't care either way. I like what I like and that's that.

Heracross
2nd December 2005, 11:01 PM
As far as Pocket Monsters is conscerned, canon means next to nothing. The few ships that are truly canon are all between minor characters, most of whom we'll never see again, and to my knowledge none of them are that popular.

That being said, some of the pairings I support are the more predictable ones, but they're not canon. And I couldn't really give a damn whether they were, I list like 'em.

Hakajin
3rd December 2005, 6:25 AM
I tend to like canon best because I get to see the interaction between them. I can't put two people together just because I think their personalities go well together, I have to see them grow and mature as friends and catch hints and stuff.

Sometimes I like a ship opposite the one that's happening though. Like in "Ceres: Celestial Legend", I was really for Aya/Yuhi. I can get really emotionally involved in shipping though, so I try to stay away from ones I like that I don't think will turn out right. It's not worth it.

Lady Barbara
3rd December 2005, 5:32 PM
I don't care either way. Canon or fanon: it's all good. Seeing the interaction between two character is good, but as a writer I also enjoy never-met ships where I just play with the characters and create my own interactions.

Shadowfaith
3rd December 2005, 5:41 PM
It doesn't need to be Cannon at all, I don't even think there needs to be anything between them, though most of the shippings I support normally have at least Friendship or Rivalry between them (Some sort of connection), but it doesn't need to be cannon at all....sometimes, cannon even takes the fun out of things, though with some pairings...I would love to see cannon >=)

Kveran
3rd December 2005, 5:58 PM
If the pairing is canon, I probably don't actively support it. I tend to be drawn to characters whose pasts and personalities are more open-book. I use the canon in my fics as a basis, though, and don't contradict it without a good reason (usually supported by another version of the canon, such as game-canon.)

clown_buggy
6th December 2005, 8:49 PM
For the most part, I'm a supporter of fanon ships, since I tend to find most canon couples horribly cliched and boring beyond belief. However, there are a few canon romances that I do indeed support. They have to be very original and well written for me to like them, though.

Kagome Higurashi
24th December 2005, 8:38 PM
I go for canon because it's part of the plot.

Wolf Goddess
24th December 2005, 11:54 PM
I tend to go for anything that isn't as cliched as all hell. So, usually fanon.

Mamoru
25th December 2005, 12:30 AM
I find that I much prefer canon ships. Though some non-canon ships can be interesting, and I might enjoy reading about them, I don't "support" them exactly, as I wouldn't tend to try and promote them over other Ships (For example, I might make jokes about 3PShipping, but I wouldn't promote it over PokéShipping).

cold_katanagirl
26th December 2005, 12:08 AM
I tend to lean towards fanon ships, mainly because to me they're normally more interesting than canon ships.

I do support quite a few canon ships though (especially in movies), but overall I head towards fanon.