PDA

View Full Version : Reversing The Charges! (431)

Serebii
1st December 2005, 6:30 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/431.jpgReversing The Charges!

On their way to the Battle Pike, Ash & Co. Meet a Wild Elekid. However due to an accident, May's Egg gets caught in between Elekid's Antenna. Elekid, after being startled by this runs of. Will Ash & Co. be able to find Elekid and get May's egg back?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/431.shtml)

Discuss

Serebii
1st December 2005, 6:31 PM
As near as I can tell, May's Egg didn't hatch BUT Ash's Phanpy evolved into Donphan

ZoraJolteon
1st December 2005, 6:37 PM
In which case we can take it as virtually confirmed the egg is Eevee.

Serebii
1st December 2005, 6:38 PM
How the hell did you come to that conclusion? It could go either way ¬¬ No discussion of whats in the egg in this thread please

Gravy
1st December 2005, 6:45 PM
As near as I can tell, May's Egg didn't hatch BUT Ash's Phanpy evolved into Donphan
Sweet mother of pygmy pachyderms! That is awesome news. Phanpy needed a power boost (and to rid itself of its awful dub voice) for sure!
Viva las Donphan.

Gaiash is gonna plotz. http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

ZoraJolteon
1st December 2005, 6:59 PM
One word to end the discussion. Meiji.

And back onto the actual episode. According to Pokeani, Exeggutor makes an appearence, which is nice, considering we last saw it for about half a second getting slaughtered by Combusken.

Addydo
1st December 2005, 6:59 PM
AWESOME, Phanpy evolved!:D Too Bad the egg didn't hatch.:(

xana's combusken
1st December 2005, 7:05 PM
i don't know i mean when pokemon evolve it means they might go back to prof. oak's soon

The Big Al
1st December 2005, 7:13 PM
Phanpy evolved? HOO-RAH! At last its return to the team is justified.

Too bad the egg didn't hatch. The debate continues.

Other than that, was their anything to write home about in this episode?

PDL
1st December 2005, 7:18 PM
well, I guess it's great that phanpy evolved... wonder how it's going to behave now that it's no longer a baby...

anyway, it may also mean that it gets more screentime as an evolved competent battler rather then just a baby pokemon...

that will go to whatever May's egg will hatch into... and I wouldn't be surprized if Donphan and May's future pokemon will be close to eachother...

Factory Head Noland
1st December 2005, 7:20 PM
Donphan?! =D I will miss lil Phanpy though...;-;

Now no one saw this one coming! Pity about le egg not hatching but the evolution will keep me merry. Can't have everything now, can we?

I didn't actually think Phanpy would evolve but it will be good to see the intro changes in the next episode. I told you that a Donphan would fit into Phanpy's spot in the team attack also in the forest. Not that I really wanted it to evolve that much ;-; I really will miss kawaii Phanpy...

rjendo
1st December 2005, 7:30 PM
Are we SURE Phanpy Evolved? Maybe Serebii will update Ash's Bio soon to show the change.

Medea
1st December 2005, 7:46 PM
Phanpy evolved?

Pretty cool! But that damn egg didn't hatch and now there's going to be more people chewing off heads about what the egg will hatch into.

Pikachu
1st December 2005, 7:54 PM
What! Now I can't wait until I see that episode!

-Totodile-
1st December 2005, 8:02 PM
I can't believe that it evolved so fast!! I thought it would take a lot longer!!

ChaosMage
1st December 2005, 8:07 PM
Viva l'Evolution!

This is not only overdue, but also pretty darn cool! First Mudkip, and now Phanpy! Now May is the only one with any cutesy pokemon. I am delighted! What happened with Manene, though?

xana's combusken
1st December 2005, 8:11 PM
Viva l'Evolution!

This is not only overdue, but also pretty darn cool! First Mudkip, and now Phanpy! Now May is the only one with any cutesy pokemon. I am delighted! What happened with Manene, though?
he has pikachu and corphish the only one with out a cutesy pokemon is brock

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
1st December 2005, 8:16 PM
Phanpy evolved? that is so awesome!
shame the egg didn't hatch though.. but Donphan rules!
*Ash will use Donphan in the battle Pike*

I'm just waiting for the site I get eps from to update the site with the episode

John's Knight
1st December 2005, 8:16 PM
O Phanpy evoluiu? *translation: Phanpy evolved?*
Aleluia!! Finally, Ash has a more-than-decent ground pokemon. I hope to see it in future BF battles episodes!

Pika Hikari KT
1st December 2005, 9:03 PM
Whoa~! I didn't think Phanpy would evolve until a bit later!:o The little baby has grown up...but I wonder how May's Squirtle will take it? Taking continuity into account, Phanpy was like a big brother to Squirtle.:) But Ash now has a powerful new evolution...I can just imagine him saying: "Ike, Donphan!":D

1st December 2005, 9:05 PM
O Phanpy evoluiu? *translation: Phanpy evolved?*
Aleluia!! Finally, Ash has a more-than-decent ground pokemon. I hope to see it in future BF battles episodes!
Whenever one of Ash's pokemon evovles or he gets a new one he always uses them in the next gym battle, so why not Battle fronteir?

He will use Donphan in he pike

I think Serebii will update Ash's bio when he updates the site with pictures

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
1st December 2005, 9:05 PM
hey that's great news Phanpy evolves. Didn't really expect that to happen. As for the egg, it will pay. I want to see what happened to Manene.

ghost master
1st December 2005, 9:15 PM
Whoa~! I didn't think Phanpy would evolve until a bit later! The little baby has grown up...but I wonder how May's Squirtle will take it? Taking continuity into account, Phanpy was like a big brother to Squirtle. But Ash now has a powerful new evolution...I can just imagine him saying: "Ike, Donphan!"
I dont see how you got to that conclusion since we never really saw phanpy and squirtle together but, once or twice. Anyaway cant say that it wasnt unexpected. It was bound to hapeen sooner or latter. What I would like to see is it's strength. Will it be in the same ranks as Snorlax, Heracross, Grovyle and Glalie or not.

Mew2
1st December 2005, 9:18 PM
Phanpy evolved? That's great. I have a strong feeling that he'll be participating in the next Frontier Brain battle.

CyberCubed
1st December 2005, 9:26 PM
Looks like all that Donphan foreshadowing WAS actual foreshadowing.

Anyone notice that Ash has always taken a liking to Donphan? Remember that Donphan filler from early Johto where Ash was so impressed with them?

Then he gets a Phanpy in mid-Johto and gets a decent league match.

But I KNEW that Donphan filler in Hoenn and Tetsuya having a Donphan meant something.

Anyway hooray! Grovyle should be up next.

Heracross
1st December 2005, 9:48 PM
Well, that's news. :0 I gotta say, I expected it to take much longer for the little guy to evolve, but it's certainly a pleasent surprise. Now he'll really be able to make up for his former shaftage.

ŁańkaŃ
1st December 2005, 10:03 PM
Ok...then this is to be totally cool..i so cant wait to see what is to happen :D..in this ep...

i'm jsut going to miss that cutness it had

Blaziken master
1st December 2005, 10:15 PM
Well thats cool! Can't wait to see how it evolves and if it learns any new attacks

Thriller
1st December 2005, 10:27 PM

I Swear to God I felt an orgasm when I read that *hopes its true as I haven't read the whole thread yet*

Edit: Well I've read all the posts so far and it has yet to be proved wrong. I don't believe this, first Glalie suprised us all and now Donphan. This is the kind of evolutions I love, ones that suprise us. My day lasted very long to me but as it turned out, it was worth it. ^_^ GO DONPHAN!

PDL
1st December 2005, 10:48 PM
Anyone notice that Ash has always taken a liking to Donphan? Remember that Donphan filler from early Johto where Ash was so impressed with them?

well, it's probably no coincidence that Donphan was also one of the first GS pokemon to be showcased way back in the first movie...

maybe it's one of Satoshi Taraji's favourites? simalar to how Poliwag (another of his favourites) ended up with Misty...

Lil Brother
1st December 2005, 10:57 PM
well, it's probably no coincidence that Donphan was also one of the first GS pokemon to be showcased way back in the first movie......what? o.o

Anyways, yay for Donphan. All I epected this ep to be was to put some experience under Phanpy's belt to make it evolve a bit later. But whatever, Donphan is awesome!

And I'll be waiting for pics! *tapes eyes to screen*

jolteonjak
1st December 2005, 11:01 PM
Not the place, but...the trainer Ash faced in the opening credits to the first Pokemon movie had a Donphan. I believe it faced Bulbasaur.

I'm so happy for Phanpy/Donphan now. Maybe Ash will keep it on his team longer too because it evolved.

Does anyone know what became of James and Manene?

Lil Brother
1st December 2005, 11:05 PM
Not the place, but...the trainer Ash faced in the opening credits to the first Pokemon movie had a Donphan. I believe it faced Bulbasaur.Yeah, but what does that have anything to do with Ash's love for Donphan and Phanpy's evolution? o.o

jolteonjak
1st December 2005, 11:10 PM
*getting nervous* umm...he liked it ever since he fought one? :confused:

Rudoku
1st December 2005, 11:15 PM
well, I guess it's great that phanpy evolved... wonder how it's going to behave now that it's no longer a baby...

There have been baby Donphan in this series, so it probably won't change that much. Didn't make any sense, but it was on Donphan's "debut" episode in Johto.

Dean
1st December 2005, 11:20 PM
I had a feeling that phanpy would evolve.

Heracross
1st December 2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but what does that have anything to do with Ash's love for Donphan and Phanpy's evolution? o.o
He just meant that it was foreshadowing to Satoshi getting one. Can't say I agree, but whatever. D:

Rex Kamex
1st December 2005, 11:27 PM
Man, I don't think we had any idea that there would be an evolution in a specific episode since Glalie. (Mudkip didn't count because I think somebody speculated it.)

PDL
1st December 2005, 11:30 PM
He just meant that it was foreshadowing to Satoshi getting one. Can't say I agree, but whatever. D:

I didn't really mean that, I just meant that Satoshi Taraji liked Donphan so much that anime Satoshi eventually got one

goodness knows why though... anyway, it wouldn't act like a baby, the only time it really did act like a baby was in the episode it hatched in, other then that it acted like any other small pokemon.

Momoko Lover
1st December 2005, 11:38 PM
This was a totally unexpected twist. They grow up so fast, *sob* *sob*.

Thriller
1st December 2005, 11:42 PM
Why are people acting like it was so quick for it to evolve? It took longer than a whole region for it to evolve and yes the time being away from Ash counts in my book.

Serebii
1st December 2005, 11:49 PM
Why are people acting like it was so quick for it to evolve? It took longer than a whole region for it to evolve and yes the time being away from Ash counts in my book.
Thats a good point, Ash got it 200 episodes ago, thats a bigger gap than Brock's Zubat's evolution

Gravy
1st December 2005, 11:53 PM
People are just taking into account that it hasn't had too many official pokémon battles, thus it hasn't really had all that much training.
I don't particulary see the justification in that myself, considering pokémon like Taillow, who barely did anything at all, could evolve into living tanks.

Momoko Lover
1st December 2005, 11:54 PM
Well, I said it because it probably hardly battle any pokemon at all while in Oak's lab, so I said that because I didn't have much experience before joining Ash. I don't know why anyone else said it though.

Edit: Darn, Gravy said it first!

Geodude
2nd December 2005, 12:25 AM
It must have gotten in some sort of practice or something while at Oak's...I think most Pokemon do. Maybe they play-fight or something. Something had to happen while Phanpy was there for it to have learned Hidden Power, right?

The Big Al
2nd December 2005, 12:30 AM
Considering Oak tried to make a natural setting for the Pokemon to live and Pokemon naturally compete, it must have gotten some fighting under it's belt. Not mention we have seen wars break out between the Pokemon (like the water and grass Pokemon who seem to beat other within an inch of their lives whenever Bulbasaur is not around). I doubt it just played all day.

CyberCubed
2nd December 2005, 12:42 AM
Really? Who cares?

Krabby evolved into Kingler after ONE battle.

Snorunt evolved into Glalie seemingly out of nowhere.

Brock's Zubat evolved into Golbat and then Crobat simply from Brock cheering it on.

And dare I mention Mudkip? Who barely ever battles and evolved despite rotting in it's Pokeball for 95% of AG?

Thriller
2nd December 2005, 12:48 AM
It must have gotten in some sort of practice or something while at Oak's...I think most Pokemon do. Maybe they play-fight or something. Something had to happen while Phanpy was there for it to have learned Hidden Power, right?

Thats exactly why its time away from Ash counted to me.

Geodude
2nd December 2005, 1:08 AM
No, that's why it should. Because it WAS practice...or whatever. Doesn't matter whether or not Ash was there.

Thriller
2nd December 2005, 1:15 AM
Oh wait, I didn't type that right. *Fixes*

Why do I get the feeling that Donphan will now be Oaked in favour of another Pokemon, possibly Cyndaquil? Think about it, whenever a Pokemon reaches its final form it gets sent straight to Oak. It happened with Glalie, Kingler and Muk and I suppose Snorlax. Plus ever since Oaking Torkoal we got to the first time Ash travelled regularly without a fire type so Cyndaquil seems like the best bet to join him.

The Big Al
2nd December 2005, 1:38 AM
If that means Cyndaquil evolves, I'm all for it.

Addydo
2nd December 2005, 1:42 AM
Me too! :D But it probably won't happen. :(

Gravy
2nd December 2005, 1:45 AM
I wouldn't count on it. They've obviously evolved Phanpy so when it eventually does get a chance at a Frontier battle, its efforts will seem more plausible and until then its going to be sticking around for quite some time.

Besides, he's only got 5 pokémon on his team, with a slot to spare. Why on earth would they dispose of one pokémon that he's used minimally in favour of another.

Almighty Zard
2nd December 2005, 1:46 AM
Oh wait, I didn't type that right. *Fixes*

Why do I get the feeling that Donphan will now be Oaked in favour of another Pokemon, possibly Cyndaquil? Think about it, whenever a Pokemon reaches its final form it gets sent straight to Oak. It happened with Glalie, Kingler and Muk and I suppose Snorlax. Plus ever since Oaking Torkoal we got to the first time Ash travelled regularly without a fire type so Cyndaquil seems like the best bet to join him.

it could happen after the battle pike considering that so many people seem to think it will be used against her, and who wants to bet that the people who don't want Grovyle or Corphish to evolve are now going to use this as an excuse for them not to evolve.

V Faction
2nd December 2005, 1:53 AM
POKEMON EVARUSHUNO!!!

BOO. YAH.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Awww, I hate smilies.... but who cares?! Tis a day of CELEBRATION, Biz-natches!

Oh damn. Okay okay, step back... I mean, it's not really all that revolutionary. Donphan has been around since the first movie. It's had a filler and fights with Ash and more filler and more fights with Ash. After having Phanpy so long, and as soon as it was thrown into the BF saga, the moment of its evolution has almost been an edge-of-the-seat type expectation. And it had Hidden Power [mysteriously], so it must be when Ash's Pokemon learn new attacks they evolve. =P

You know what? Screw that 'effin egg. This is 10x better. Elecrap can steal as many eggs as it wants! Heil Donphan!

Hmmm.... Still waiting on that Grovyle evolution. HURRY UP, DAMN IT.

GreenKirby
2nd December 2005, 2:40 AM
Wow. What a pleasant suprise. It's about time Ash gets some of these suprises like May, Brock, and James were getting. Jessie could be next.

TwilightFacade
2nd December 2005, 3:32 AM
Wow holy crap. I came here wanting to see if the egg hatched and into what pokemon, and what happens but I find out that phanpy evolved suprisingly. I guess I'm happy that it evolved since it will probably get more screentime, but I wanted it to stay as a phanpy for a little longer. I would of rather seen cyndaquil or grovyle evolve but its all good. But that egg better hatch next week or else.:D

JazzJazz
2nd December 2005, 3:48 AM

I guess it seems like a rapid evolution because we've seen phanpy in the show ever since it hatched... it's whole life basically, whereas other pokemon to evolve have been captured and we haven't had a clue as to their past experience.

TooCoolScyther
2nd December 2005, 5:42 AM
Phanpy evolving is exactly why he's back in Ash's team. I saw this coming. Donphan will have a new evolution for Diamond/Pearl. Just you wait and see. This is a good way for Ash to get a D/S Pokemon without having to catch a fresh one.

ChaosMage
2nd December 2005, 9:45 AM
Donphan is a lot more physically powerful than any of Ash's other pokemon (judging by stats). It will be a secret weapon after the Battle Pike, and a damn good'un. Whether or not it sticks around is debatable, but I sure hope so!

~Flareon~
2nd December 2005, 10:10 AM
I have seen this episode on Saturday. This episode is about when Ash, Pikachu & the others saw an Elekid in a forest. Then Team Rocket tried to capture Pikachu earlier but they got blast off by Elekid's thunder attack and separated with Manene alone. The Pokemon egg was captured by Elekid's Antenna. May tries to tell it to give back the Pokemon egg but it couldn't listen. But Ash & the others saw Manene in a forest. Maybe they knew it must be Team Rocket got separated with Manene. But actually Team Rocket got May's Pokemon Egg. So James traded May's Pokemon Egg back and she traded James's Manene back too. A Golem Mecha Robot with a Rocket sign on its head(Team Rocket's mecha)tried to catch Pikachu & Elekid but Ash orders Phanpy to attack the Golem Mecha Robot with a Rollout but gets knocked out. But suddenly Ash's Phanpy actually glows and evolve into a Donphan. Ash orders Donphan to use Rollout to stop the robot from attacking & Donphan finishes Team Rocket's robot off with a Hyper Beam. Its attacks of Ash's Donphan can use anytime for training for the Battle Pike: Tackle, Defense Curl, Take Down, Rollout, Earthquake, Hidden Power & Hyper Beam. Too bad May's egg haven't hatch this episode.

Feity
2nd December 2005, 11:51 AM
This episode is about an Elekid in a forest where Ash, Pikachu & the others saw. Then Team Rocket still trying to capture Pikachu earlier but they got blast off and separated with Manene alone. The Pokemon egg was captured by Elekid. May tries to tell to give back the Pokemon egg but it couldn't listen. So Ash challenged the Elekid with his Pikachu so that it can get it back. But when Elekid takes a powerful thunder attack at the cloud and have shocked Pikachu. I am not sure who wins. Too bad May's egg haven't hatch. It was cool that Phanpy evolve into Donphan. At first, It was fighting with Golem with a Rocket sign on its head so that why Phanpy evolved. I haven't seen this episode till tomorrow Friday then see.
You are the first person who didn't post about Phanpy/Donphan. Congratulations.

How was Elekid in this episode?

DSRGBA
2nd December 2005, 4:25 PM
What!!! phanpy evolved it hasnt really had battle experience

ChaosMage
2nd December 2005, 4:44 PM
What!!! phanpy evolved it hasnt really had battle experience

And it joins Lotad, Mudkip, Zubat, Pineco, Snorunt and Krabby on the list of lucky evolvers. Welcome, Donphan. We all love you!

V Faction
2nd December 2005, 5:04 PM
And it joins Lotad, Mudkip, Zubat, Pineco, Snorunt and Krabby on the list of lucky evolvers. Welcome, Donphan. We all love you!
....And all those Pokemon ROOOOOOCK Hardcore! [Crap, you put Forretress. didn't see that EW.]

Kick *** and take some names, Donphan!

DSRGBA
2nd December 2005, 5:12 PM
foretress rocks

Serebii
2nd December 2005, 5:31 PM
Please move discussion of the evolution in comparison to other evolutions to another thread

Just discuss the episode here please

Volt Tackle
2nd December 2005, 5:39 PM
That's good. Now Ash has yet ANOTHER powerhouse in his team.

Golden Darkness
2nd December 2005, 6:16 PM
Other bits from this episode:

Donphan has a new move: Hyperbeam
Team Rocket at some point got the egg. But James was happy to trade the egg for his Manane back.
That Elekid was out of control, attacking all the other Pokemon in the forest. Ash and co. first see it beating up a Exeggutor.
Pikachu's Volt Tackle seems to be one of "Not-yet perfected" moves.

Gravy
2nd December 2005, 7:09 PM
Happy to trade the egg back for Manene? So, what happened exactly? Did Elekid take Manene hostage or something, or did the twerps end up dragging around the clown with them?

Donphan has a new move: Hyperbeam
....I thought the whole reason for Hidden Power was so the pokémon had some sort of long range attack. Why did they feel the need to give it it another beam move that essentially acts in the exact same fashion? It makes Phanpy gaining Hidden Power in the first place seem rather pointless.

Gravy would've prefered a physical move :/ ...still, can't complain I suppose.

DSRGBA
2nd December 2005, 7:09 PM
another Exeggutor down isnt electric types meant to be crap against grass type

JazzJazz
2nd December 2005, 7:20 PM
Pikachu's Volt Tackle seems to be one of "Not-yet perfected" moves.

Perhaps we'll end up seeing another episode (or part of one) based on Ash learning how to perfect this move... perhaps with the involvement of some character of the day.

another Exeggutor down isnt electric types meant to be crap against grass type

This is the anime, where sometimes down is up and up is down...

ChaosMage
2nd December 2005, 7:21 PM
Donphan now has Rollout, Earthquake, Hyper Beam and Hidden Power. Not bad.

crawdauntpro
2nd December 2005, 7:38 PM
Donphan now has Rollout, Earthquake, Hyper Beam and Hidden Power. Not bad.

Quite the moveset you need for a tank-type Pokemon!
Doesn't it also have Tackle, Take Down and Defense Curl?

DSRGBA
2nd December 2005, 7:49 PM
i suppose...

Golden Darkness
2nd December 2005, 8:17 PM
Happy to trade the egg back for Manene? So, what happened exactly? Did Elekid take Manene hostage or something, or did the twerps end up dragging around the clown with them?

Ash and co came upon Manene after it was separated from Team Rocket. So they took Manene with them on their search for Elekid.

Pokeballs
2nd December 2005, 8:21 PM
Quite the moveset you need for a tank-type Pokemon!
Doesn't it also have Tackle, Take Down and Defense Curl?

Ya, Donphan has a lot of moves o.o

Hmmm it having Hyper Beam does seem to make Hidden Power a bit unnecessary though...

Geki
2nd December 2005, 8:21 PM
YES!!! Ash's Phanpy evolved finally, I just checked the main site. I didn't even think of Phanpy evolving when I read that Ash had an update, I was thinking possibly a new capture or Corphish evolved.

Lupin
2nd December 2005, 8:50 PM
I can tell that this has been all that has been said here, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I can't believe that Phanpy evolved. I've been waiting for this ever since I first heard that Ash was getting phanpy back on his team. It will most certainaly be used in his next brain battle.

JazzJazz
2nd December 2005, 9:22 PM
Ash and co came upon Manene after it was separated from Team Rocket. So they took Manene with them on their search for Elekid.

Was manene quite happy to travel with Ash and the others? I assume that it would have a sort of care-free/happy go lucky attitude...

ChaosMage
2nd December 2005, 10:02 PM
Did Manene impersonate anyone in the gang? That would be amusing...

And, judging by the bio picture, Donphan looks amazing! I love it already!

Team Rocket Admin
2nd December 2005, 10:58 PM
Wow, the writer's IQ just went up 30 pts in my book.

The Big Al
2nd December 2005, 11:07 PM
THat should make their running total 10 then.

Briememory
2nd December 2005, 11:11 PM
This kind of episode is exactly what we need. While everyone is dissing the writers' intelligence, they did something very smart. Mudkip's and Phanpy's Evolutions have been great surprises. By making fillers more substantial, they are drawing a better audiance and keeping the audiance in check. Now, no one will miss an episode just to make sure there isn't another surprise catch, hatch, or evolution!

Heracross
2nd December 2005, 11:24 PM
But by definition they're not fillers since evolutions occured in them.

V Faction
2nd December 2005, 11:35 PM
Heh heh, that's a fine line indeed.

It seems nowadays, the ratio of episodes centered around non-filler elements (concerning Pokemon) to non-filler episodes that could be considered regular fillers without said non-filler event is 50/50.

You look at an episode like Corphish's capture that had the whole center revolve around catching it and then compare that to, say, Mudkip's evo episode and go.... "Boy that's weird."

Come to think of it, after thinking about it for a while, most evolutions are surprises, at least as far as the entire point of the episode is concerned (I.E. we don't see the character trying to forceably evolve their Pokemon). It's only episodes AFTER that deal with their evolutions, just look at Bayleef.

Pokeballs
3rd December 2005, 1:17 AM
It does make me wonder why the writers choose to have evolutions just happen in seemingly random episodes, though i suppose the surprise is nice... but i do like it better when the episodes actually focus at least a little on the Pokemon b4 it evolves rather than "hey mudkip evolved! now about that wonder drug of love..."

JazzJazz
3rd December 2005, 4:23 AM
It's only episodes AFTER that deal with their evolutions, just look at Bayleef.

True, I hope we don't get some lame little incidents in which donphan's new size becomes a problem around the rest of the group.

RaikousThunder
3rd December 2005, 5:24 AM
When i saw the updated character bio is was like Ooooo did Ash catch the Elekid? But they would never give Ash another Electric type. I would like to see Elekid on someones teams, its such a cool pokemon. But when i saw Donphan i was like Yay! I was hoping Phanpy would evolve. I just love Donphan. I always thought it suited Ash from the first ep it appeared in. It seems like they are moving things along quickly. Evos, contests and frontier battles not that far apart from each other. I dont think this many important episodes have happened so quickly in a very, very long time. Its cool though. The next evo id like to see is either Corphish or Grovyle.

Pikachu_Imatation
3rd December 2005, 5:45 AM
ITs good that Ash's Phanpy evolved now, but it's really weird where the hidden power came from. Phanpy must've been stronger than we thought.

Anyways the episode was okay, but I'll miss Phanpy's cuteness

Geodude
3rd December 2005, 6:20 AM
No, there's more to it than that. The reason Elekid was going crazy, as Brock figured out at one point, was that it was suffering from the same type of sickness that affected Pikachu in early AG, it had too much Electric energy built up in its body. That's how it was able to beat up all those Grass-types.

Loved the parts with Manene imitating Phanpy, the little clown doesn't seem to have anything against the "twerps" by itself...

Eddieursa
3rd December 2005, 8:46 PM
Guys, what's this?. For what I saw, looks like Donphan have learned the Hyper-Beam attack. (Cool, really). But what's happening with the Hidden Power of Phanpy?. Maybe the attack also evolved with the Pokemon?.

Geodude
3rd December 2005, 9:33 PM
Yes, it learned hakai kousen (Hyper Beam). No, it would still have Hidden Power.

crazymonkyfoul321
3rd December 2005, 9:42 PM
i thought ash might of caught that elekid as another electric type cause all he has is pikachu but pikachu is a good electric pokemon to have but im happy 4 ash's phanpy to finally evole.

The Big Al
3rd December 2005, 10:03 PM
Elekid was p*ssed. So was James. I loved his little explosion at Jessie and Meowth after they lost Manene. An entertaining filler at least. Other than that, nothing to write home about.

JazzJazz
3rd December 2005, 10:21 PM
An entertaining filler at least.

Technically it wasn't a filler, given how phanpy evolved and all...

Infinite Master Sceptile
3rd December 2005, 10:28 PM
Anyways the episode was okay, but I'll miss Phanpy's cuteness
Hey, Donphan is very cute. It's still a funny elephant.
I didn't know Donphan looked that cool.
There seems to have been heavy foreshadowing on the part of the writers with regards to this evolution, so it should have come as a suprise to no one.

Gravy
3rd December 2005, 10:44 PM
Meh. This episode was pretty boring I have to say.
Essentially, all it consisted of were the characters aimlessly walking around ~:The Forest of Generic Woe:~ and attacking/getting attacked by this random Elekid. IMO, the only thing that saved this episode from being a total wash-out were a few amusing little skits from Team Rocket, and Phanpy's spontanious evolution. The rest was very forgetable, generic stuff and 'Lackluster' seems like the most appropriate description for it.

They had Manene hang around with the group, yet they didn't have it imitate any of them besides Phanpy? Hell, it barely interacted with them at all. Incredibly dissapointing.

James was pretty interesting in this episode, and was definatly one of the highlights. I found it especially funny when Meowth and James had to hold him back from trying to attack Elekid. Thats usually the sort of thing you'd expect from Jessie. Its rare to see him get so worked up about something, so it was a treat, for sure. I've definatly come to appreaciate James' character lately~

Bah. I still say HyperBeam fro Donphan was totally uncalled for. A decent physical move would have been miles better.
Miles 'Tails' Better even.

Geodude
3rd December 2005, 10:53 PM
But it already has two good physical-contact attacks in Rollout and Take Down.

Heracross
4th December 2005, 12:49 AM
It knows earthquake too.

Edit: Meh, could've been better, but Gomazou's evolution was great, and I enjoyed the parts of the episode which were focused around Kojirou flipping out over Manene. I can't remember the last time we've seen Nyasu and Musashi actually intimidated by him, and it was funny when they had to hold him back from assaulting Elekid. I also liked how he just stopped right in the middle of attacking Satoshi-tachi to do the little exchange with Haruka.

Gomazou's evolution was rather... random, but that's not to say that it wasn't sweet. I just hope he retains that happy personality of his. Hyper beam is just meh.

And on a final note, the animation on the falling trees was awful. Bleh. :x

Yamato-san
4th December 2005, 11:31 AM
the torrent for this episode sure took its sweet time getting up, and as usual, I avoided spoilers until it did.... it was so f***ing worth the wait. I wasn't spoiled on this, but Juptile contacted me on AIM. I stopped him before he said anything, but he already managed to imply that something important would happen, and something big that would be enough to get him excited. Given what the preview was centering around, I narrowed that possibility down to either the egg hatching, or less likely, something having to do with Manene (perhaps it shows off an attack and that it's not exactly useless in battle). All throughout the episode, I was anticipating something like that to happen, not even giving a second thought to Gomazou's presence. Pikachu and Elekid shocked Rocket Dan's mecha.... I knew something was off, because they didn't explode and say their usual "Yana kanji!", so the mech suddenly reviving was expected. Then Gomazou participated in the fight again, with the song Battle Frontier starting up. It got pushed back, screamed holding its trunk up in the air, and I thought it was about to charge up a Hidden Power. For a split second when it started to glow, I still thought of Hidden Power, but then I noticed that the glow was encasing its whole body..... holy crap, holy crap, holy crap..... ooooh god, evolution ^^. Aw yeah.... my heart was friggin racing when I saw that happen, and it continued racing even after the Mysterious Dungeon prize give-away announcement had ended (basically, when the file finished playing). I tell ya, really huge surprises like that don't come along very often in Pocket Monsters, and to receive the full effect as I did really is a great sensation.

This is so damn great, too. Satoshi's team is once again full of tough bada**es as it was in Houen (even Pikachu's bada** now that it knows Volt Tackle, even if it needs practice.... BTW, love your sig, Pokeballs). And as everyone else mentioned before, Satoshi finally got that Donphan he always wanted, and Gomazou joining the team is finally justified. The Battle Frontier continues to surprise me, too, because with the exception of Manene's seperation, this episode didn't look too interesting in the preview, and it was assumed that unless the egg hatched, this would be the first filler in the long stream of non-fillers.

[cough] You're probably all sick of hearing about the evolution, so unto the rest of the episode. I actually kinda liked the main plot to this one. When Satoshi thought back to when Pikachu was overloaded on electricity at the beginning of Houen, I thought "Yay! Continuity!" Speaking of continuity, they brought up the fact that Gomazou was hatched from an egg at the beginning, nice. The fact that a small Elekid was wailing on several Pokemon, including a large grass-type Nasshii, was justifiable (I hate tiny titans, probably more than Big Al does). Also, when it was suggested that Pikachu could absorb the lightning to fight back, there was a pretty nice tension in the air. Satoshi fearing for Pikachu's safety, then Pikachu willingly agreeing to it... kinda brings fond memories of the Crystal special, and that moment between Kenta and his Bakuphoon.

I agree that they could've done much more with Manene interacting with the main group. Its mimicry of Gomazou was still cute, though, and considering it evolved into Donphan, it was the only chance for the writers to do something like that. And that scene where Kojirou and Haruka put the battle on hold to make their switch.... hilarious XD. Donphan suddenly learning Hyper Beam bugged me as well.... aside from being an unnecessary ranged attack with Hidden Power already being there, this also disproves that theory I had. The one where the reason Gomazou had Hidden Power, Kabigon had Protect, and that damned turtle suddenly got Ice Beam was because Ookido was testing out move tutoring on the Pokemon at his lab without anyone's consent. Since Donphan just pulled a Kingler, I guess this means that theory's out, and the show has gone back to how attacks were being done the first time they were in Kantou: TM moves were just there, nothing spectacular, as if they could learn the moves naturally (although, this could just be a one-time fluke, like those Kinogassa that suddenly got Iron Tail). It sucks, really. I liked how all throughout Houen, they'd make things realistic and have Pokemon learn new moves through effort and training to use them properly. Ah well, given the surprise evolution and the decent quality of the filler material for this episode, mistakes like that could easily be forgiven right now.

Kazuki Mirai
4th December 2005, 11:45 AM
It's about time for that little fella to evolve, cause we get way too much cuteness. We don't know more baby Pokemon crap and stuff. It gets really annoying, considering that we have enough baby Pokemon around here. *CoughsSquirtyandManenecoughs* And Ash flashed his Pokedex out again on a Pokemon he already seen... What does he have? Short memory span or did he hit his head? But then again, they do need to point at Pokedexes out at Pokemon to get more records on views. -.-

ChaosMage
4th December 2005, 12:06 PM
It's about time for that little fella to evolve, cause we get way too much cuteness. We don't know more baby Pokemon crap and stuff. It gets really annoying, considering that we have enough baby Pokemon around here. *CoughsSquirtyandManenecoughs* And Ash flashed his Pokedex out again on a Pokemon he already seen... What does he have? Short memory span or did he hit his head? But then again, they do need to point at Pokedexes out at Pokemon to get more records on views. -.-

Wasn't it May who checked Elekid? It was her pokedex in the picture.

crawdauntpro
4th December 2005, 12:24 PM
Ya, Donphan has a lot of moves o.o

Hmmm it having Hyper Beam does seem to make Hidden Power a bit unnecessary though...

Unless it is a move in case Hyper Beam runs out of energy and Hidden Power draws out extra energy from within? Maybes?

The Big Al
4th December 2005, 12:57 PM
Actually, I like Elekid on a tyraid.
1. I love Eletric types. Especially ones with attitude problems.
2. Elekid is actually little powerhouse (no pun intended) and he's packing serious guns.
3. He was overchanged and as we saw with Pikachu, electric attacks are magnified.
4. The Pokemon he was blasting through weren't exactly powerful or quick.

So that was done well.

Samayowa
4th December 2005, 1:58 PM
I'm happy Phanpy evolved..it was long overdue..IMO anway..he should've evolved in the Johto saga.but oh well better late then never.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
4th December 2005, 5:38 PM
Well I just watched the ep and it was pretty good. I noticed when Pikachu took in that electricity they didn't put any flashing lights. I guess they wanted to be on the safe side. I enjoyed how Phanpy got thrown around. Donphan looks pretty cool. I never thought I'd say that since I really hated both Pokemon but now it's different. It was nice to see a flashback. Overall a pretty good episode.

JazzJazz
4th December 2005, 6:16 PM
I enjoyed how Phanpy got thrown around. Donphan looks pretty cool. I never thought I'd say that since I really hated both Pokemon but now it's different. It was nice to see a flashback. Overall a pretty good episode.

I've had my opinions change on certain pokemon after they've appeared in the anime before too... sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.

Crash CSIQ
4th December 2005, 8:48 PM
wait sice phanphy never went in his pokeball would it mean that donphan would walk around with ash and his gang like pickachu.......................................... .well theres no problem with it...its just that donphan is kinda big

Thriller
4th December 2005, 9:05 PM
What in the world are you talking about? Phanpy/Donphan always had a Pokeball, it was just out of it all throughout the episode and when we see it again Ash will most likely send it out of its ball.

Blaziken master
4th December 2005, 9:54 PM
Yay Donphan!Its voice is so cool.manene was cute as ever imitating phanpy lol

Kazuki Mirai
5th December 2005, 12:36 AM
Wasn't it May who checked Elekid? It was her pokedex in the picture.
No, I was talking about the one with Ash flashing his Pokedex on his new Donphan.

Bulba the Great!
5th December 2005, 1:46 AM
Kai Yamato, I don't know where you're getting this "Satoshi scanned his new Donfan" idea-I have the episode, and it was definitely Haruka.

Anyways, this episode made me appreciate Gomazou, finally-just in time to see it evolve. I didn't really think much of it before, but I really appreciated how cute it was. And Manene should have had more imitations in this episode-I love that little guy to death.

I'm extremely thankful the writers had enough sense to give Takeshi a bigger part in this episode, making this one of my favorite BF episodes. In fact, the only thing I didn't like about this episode was Donfan, surprisingly-this means it'll be taking the little airtime that could be given to Juptile or Heigani, and it pushes back any hopes for Juptile's evolution at this moment. Ahh, well, it was still an extremely good episode.

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

Porygandrew
5th December 2005, 4:15 AM
Phanpy's evolution wasn't totally spontaneous. It was out and about for most of the episode which should've been a clue that it was going to do something special.

Pokeballs
5th December 2005, 12:51 PM
oh yea idk if this was stated already, but it's mentioned in the episode that they're headed to the Battle Pike next. I know everyone figured it out from the opening but... it's like official now! :o

5th December 2005, 4:50 PM
Twas a good ep

I love Donphan so I loved seeing Phanpy evolve, Donphan has always been one of my faves, I have a shiny on emerald.

James and Manene was touching, and Donphan pwned

next ep looks good
7/10

Addydo
5th December 2005, 7:05 PM
Is it just me, or does Manene look great with May, cause I could kind of see her getting a Manene for some reason. :) Not from her egg, but the same way James got his.

Geodude
5th December 2005, 10:50 PM
Phanpy's evolution wasn't totally spontaneous. It was out and about for most of the episode which should've been a clue that it was going to do something special.
That and the simple fact that it was easily brushed away twice by TR's mecha.

Feity
8th December 2005, 3:04 AM
For some reason, I really liked when James and May traded eggs and Manene...
Not to mention the ever-so-awsome Elekid, with his constant screams of 'Bibibi!'
I liked Manene miming Phanpy, as well. The two look cute together.
I'm actually a bit disapointed with Phanpy's evolution, I like the little guy better, and I think he evolved too soon. Donphan's voice sounded a bit weird and dinky, also.

Overall, excelent episode.
10/10

Addydo
8th December 2005, 3:36 AM
It wasn't too soon for Phanpy to evolve.

Feity
8th December 2005, 9:41 PM
It wasn't too soon for Phanpy to evolve.
In my opinion, it was. Note the 'I think'.

Addydo
8th December 2005, 9:58 PM
In my opinion, it was. Note the 'I think'.

What ever.

Sceptile Warrior
28th January 2006, 11:11 PM
People keep saying that Donphan had learned hidden power but i looked in the episode pictures for this episode and i did not see anything. Can someone please tell me when and where this move was learned.

crawdauntpro
28th January 2006, 11:29 PM
People keep saying that Donphan had learned hidden power but i looked in the episode pictures for this episode and i did not see anything. Can someone please tell me when and where this move was learned.

It was in the Onix episode, ;231; protects May's Squirtle from an Onix using it's Hidden Power.

WaterDragon trainer
7th October 2006, 2:23 PM
Just saw this in the US. This episode was pretty cool. It was kinda nice to see Max defend his sister from Elekid's Thunderbolt. It was kinda funny to see James' reaction when Jessie and Meowth said Mime Jr may not make it. It was nice with that trade-off with James and May. Poor Phanpy getting punched around my TR's mecha. It was awesome to see him evolve AND use Hyper Beam.

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th October 2006, 2:26 PM
Ash sounded alot better in this.

This episode was okay, but Phanphy being out in the beginning made it kind of obvious...........

Judai Yuki
7th October 2006, 2:27 PM
This episode is muhaha. :(

-Judai

C.J. Ray
7th October 2006, 4:37 PM
One word to end the discussion. Meiji.

And back onto the actual episode. According to Pokeani, Exeggutor makes an appearence, which is nice, considering we last saw it for about half a second getting slaughtered by Combusken.

Dammit, I failed to unpause the tape during that scene, so I lost it and now the tape starts with Team Rocket. Eh, I hate my hindsight. :@

Anyways, I DID get enough of the episode so it wasn't a lost cause. Elekid is one of my favorite Pokemon, and it's nice Ash now has a Donphan, considering how many times he saw one(starting with the girl using Donphans to sniff out a rare mineral way back in the beginning of Johto).

I thought the exchange between James and May was sort of funny too.

MEOWTH(to himself): WTF? Why is that dumbnut stopping our brilliant attack to give away an egg we could be sending to the boss for that stupid Mime Jr. of his?

:D

Illmakeyoufaint
7th October 2006, 10:33 PM
i almost missed it this morning i thought it was gonna come on at 10 but i woke up an hour early anyway. I saw it this morning by chance.

Psychic Venusaur
7th October 2006, 11:43 PM
I never really liked Ash's Phanpy that much because I thought it was a little annoying and was too powerful, but now that it evolved I kind of miss it.

This episode was o.k. Yeah, the egg/Mime Jr. trade was funny. Otherwise, nothing too special in my opinion.

7/10

Ash6K
8th October 2006, 12:37 AM
I liked this episode. The trade off was pretty funny and the voices sound a lot better and similar to the old VA's. And of course Pikachu vs. Elekid and Donphan battling makes me happy!

Knight_Ram
8th October 2006, 6:03 AM
I was happy that Ash's Phanpy evolved so early in the series. Well IMO its about time lol! But yeah... Im glad he has a strong Donphan now. He can take on Tyson with his Donphan if they ever meet up again.

Medea
8th October 2006, 11:49 AM
This episode was kinda...meh, not one of my favorites! I'm not really fond of Elekid (it's okay except I just didn't like it in the episodes I saw it in or the owners who have one i.e. Casey and Shinji)...But anyways, like I said last year, I am glad that Phanpy evolved...(just took 3 and a half years). And I guess that's all I can say on this episode.

wobbanut
9th October 2006, 8:18 PM
WOW, that elekid was a little punk. :p At least on the plus side, they're calling it "EL-eh-kid" again instead of "el-EH-kid". The episode was good, though not a favorite of mine. My two cents:

-- Yay, a no-muss-no-fuss quiet exchange of pokemon between James and May. :) Nice contrast to "Which Wurmple's Which" with Jessie, May, and their wurmples. This was a good James episode. I especially liked when Jessie and Meowth were acting like Mime Jr. was gone for good, and he got fired up angry at them.
-- Nice showcase episode for Phanpy, and its voice was good. The others' voices in this episode were off, but phanpy was okay. It's interesting that now two of the four pokemon we've seen hatched from eggs (Togepi and Phanpy, not Larvitar or Eevee) have evolved.
-- Best line: Meowth: "Hey! Bang, zoom, to the moon, you goon!"

Overall, 6/10.

CyberCubed
11th October 2006, 5:02 AM
I was happy that Ash's Phanpy evolved so early in the series.

If you count it since its capture back in Johto, it took Phanpy over 150 something episodes to evolve.

Cobalt_Latios
11th October 2006, 5:12 AM
Not a bad episode. Though Phanpy evolving to a Donphan was sort of obvious. The exchange was perfect though.
James: You wanna trade?
May: Sure.
Trade done. James goes back inside the mecha and continues on.

Though i noticed that they mentioned only the episode in advanced where Pikachu gets supercharged. Wasnt it because of the electromagnet? Also, dont they remember the time Ash battled Wattson with Pikachu and Pikachu got supercharged by RoboRaikou? Eh, oh well.

Pika still hasnt gotten Volt Tackle down...

~C_L~

PiPikachu
9th February 2007, 7:39 PM
having seen the episode air on the UK toonami channel i was wondering if anyone caught the breif glimpse of the japanese text in the title?

The Japanese text title flashed up just after the english one as the episode went from the title card to the episode itself.

Knight_Ram
9th February 2007, 9:57 PM
Nope, I never saw a thing. Maybe an error on the dub or something.

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:23 PM
Aww I'm gunna miss cute little Phanpy :/ But Ash gets a powerful ground type which is just as cool.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 11:41 AM
it was a nice episode but secretly i was hoping the egg got fried because of the elekidxD
that would be quite the sight:P

Littlemyuu
21st June 2009, 10:54 PM
Nice to see Phanpy evolve...i was kinda suprised when he did ^^

glowing_light010
7th July 2009, 10:16 PM
I miss that cute little Phanpy...
But Donphan was cool too. Elekid was freakin' awesome! lol. Where's Casey when ya need her?

Ash-kid
22nd December 2009, 8:47 AM
Great episode.

Phanpy was strong, but Donphan is much more.

And Elekid was pretty strong. Pikachu saved the day..

7/10

Lorde
25th December 2009, 8:53 PM
Rolf an Elekid episode, again. I think it gets too much attention.

Anyway, a boring Filler. The only twist was that May's Egg got stuck between Elekids "thingys". More Pikachu versus Elekid. The rivalry between those two is as old as time itself.

Back to Kanto Fillers, darn it. I liked that at least we're moving towards the Pike. 4/10

CyberCubed
26th December 2009, 5:51 AM
Rolf an Elekid episode, again. I think it gets too much attention.

Anyway, a boring Filler. The only twist was that May's Egg got stuck between Elekids "thingys". More Pikachu versus Elekid. The rivalry between those two is as old as time itself.

Back to Kanto Fillers, darn it. I liked that at least we're moving towards the Pike. 4/10

Phanpy evolving is hardly filler.

Lorde
26th December 2009, 5:55 AM
Phanpy evolving is hardly filler.

I disagree. It's still Filler to me, since I've seen Donphan before.

My variation of Filler is different than the norm.

CyberCubed
26th December 2009, 5:59 AM
I disagree. It's still Filler to me, since I've seen Donphan before.

But...not Ash's Donphan.

Filler is an ep that could be skipped with no consequence. If you were to skip this ep, you'd say, "When did Ash's Phanpy evolve?"

Therefore making this ep have a point.

Willow's Tara
20th May 2010, 5:39 AM
Not a bad episode, it was nice to see Phanpy evolved into Dophan (For some reason I once thought Brock had caught one).
The scene between May and James switching their Pokemon/Egg was funny, it was like Stop! Okay thanks! Then resume!

Painkiller2001
29th November 2010, 7:17 PM
Wow, I did not expect Phanpy to evolve. At all!
I just thought maybe it was possibly going to learn a new move.

Just one thing regarding the egg:
I think it should be obvious what Pokemon is going to hatch from it... Just look at the design on it. Which Pokemon have we seen that design on before?

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 10:06 AM
I am surprised Elekid did not explode with electricity

G50
26th April 2011, 9:33 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see an Elekid again. It was awesome to finally see Phanpy evolve into Donphan. It was odd to see May's egg get stuck in Elekid's Antenna. It was cool to find out that Donphan learned Hyper Beam. It was interesting to see a Pokemon other than Pikachu suffer from the illness Electric types many times suffer from. The way they got the excess Electricity out of Elekid was very creative.

30/100

Vernikova
7th September 2012, 8:04 PM
A boring episode. Elekid didn't interest me and neither did Phanpy.

The Power of Pika
5th May 2013, 3:30 PM
That elekid was kind of crazy.

Though I quite liked seeing james worry over mime jr and I thought it was kind of amusing seeing him be short tempered when jessie and james can out with something bad about mime jr.

I also liked when they were battling and james said time out and traded the egg to may and got his mime jr back. I like james due to his sweet nature he displays sometimes.^-^
It's hard to believe why he even joined team rocket sometimes.

I liked how they were blasting off and he was happy. You could even hear him laughing with happiness as they got further away.XD

Phanpy evolving was cool.=)

Dawn+Serena Fan
27th June 2013, 8:51 PM
It was an okay episode, it got better as it went on. The battle was pretty good and I liked seeing Phanphy evolve.

PokemontrainerY
8th July 2013, 12:04 PM
This episode was pretty good, it's awsome that Ash's Phanphy evolved into Donphan and learned Hyper Beam.