PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Rude Awakening

klducks
2nd December 2005, 12:38 AM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/fd/rude_awakening.jpg
Rude Awakening - Fifth Dawn. Rare
4G: Sorcery
Choose one - Untap all lands you control; or until end of turn, lands you control become 2/2 creatures that are still lands.
Entwine 2G (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)

Cool card. I'm planning on running 4 of these. Hit with early super trample. Then swing in for Troll Ascetic mid game. Late: yeah, i have 8 2/2s now. *swing w/ all* game :)

The thing you'd have to watch out is you need 8 mana for this card to be game winner material. Since it's green, run a lil excel and 8 mana really shouldn't be a problem.

The Duck's Rating: 3.5/5

Shadow Trainer
2nd December 2005, 2:25 AM
A nice card, use it to untap all your mana or turn all your land into an army of creatures.The second ability does not really work unless you have allot of land, so you usually have to pay the entwine cost.Overall a great card and a useful win condition. 4/5

Sergay Wang
2nd December 2005, 3:40 AM
This was the alternate win condition of old Tooth and Nail when it was still T2 legal.

Since Green is the savage land seeking color, Rude Awakening can be deadly late game. In Limited, playing Rude Awakening was practically scoop phase for the opponent. And in constructed, it wasn't that much different.

The only time I ever saw Rude Awakening get totally screwed over was when my friend cast Echoing Decay on my Forest. That was a sad... sad... time.

Anyway, I wouldn't run more then 2 of these. Drawing Rude Awakening in the early game generally sucks, as it'll be a dead card for many, many turns. If you want to secure drawing it, just play Sensei's Divining Top.

OVERALL: 4/5

Shadow Trainer
2nd December 2005, 3:42 AM
The only time I ever saw Rude Awakening get totally screwed over was when my friend cast Echoing Decay on my Forest. That was a sad... sad... time.

That happened to me too, I had Condescend in hand though, but did not play it for some reason...

klducks
2nd December 2005, 4:47 AM
lol... ouch. Thats what you call having the right card at the right time (for the opponent)

Anyway, I wouldn't run more then 2 of these.
Yep, looking at my deck, I can really only hold 2 and it seems enough anyways since you pointed out the early game Rude Awakening..

~RaikouRider243~
2nd December 2005, 6:01 AM
This is a hell of a card in mono green. By turn 4 or 5, you should have tons of mana on the board. Hey guess what? *plays rude awakening* They're now all 2/2 creatures! Give all these guys forestwalk if you can, then you can do some big damage to your opponent. I will agree with the crowd and say 4/5. It's not a card you want to have in your hand if your opponent keeps killing off your lands. Well, if your opponent can kill off one of your lands every turn you should probably scoop anyway.

skiboydoggy
2nd December 2005, 6:09 PM
Green, transform lands... Evil.
Wait... A minute, do the kami really like animating the trees THAT much?
Anyway, seeing as how green decks tend to have too much mana, (creatures produce mana, creatures pull out lands, enchantments increase mana production rate...)
So in fact it could be thoroughly powerful both early and late game...
Echoing Decay is still a fun little problem though... Heheh.

3.5/5